PDA

View Full Version : child program when in port question

sdrsdd
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
We are tentatively looking at doing a 4 day cruise in March/2012. My question is if we want to do a swim with the dolphin experience in Nassau that states it is for ages 6 and up only, does my 4 year old stay on the ship for those 5 hours in the kids program? I just wasn't sure how this worked ---we have never cruised before! Thanks!

Disney_Mom333
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Im curious too!:cool1:

kcashner
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
That's one option. The bottom line is that you won't be allowed to take the child on the excursion. Only you know what your alternatives are--if grandma is on the ship, maybe she would look after the child.

sdrsdd
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you think the kids programs are good? If you have cruised, would you have left your child there or just skipped the dolphin swim? (I have always wanted to do this, but will do it another time if I need to...)

kcashner
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, personal opinion....I would not leave my child for 5 hours knowing that I could not be reached. That doesn't mean it is right or wrong, just that it's personal.
Yes, the kid programs are excellent, and they will provide emergency medical care, etc. as needed. But it's 5 hours....

We found Discovery Cove in Orlando to be better than any dolphin swim or experience on any of the islands we have done. In fact, after DC, we didn't do any more island experiences. DC is worth adding a day or two to one of your vacations. It's pricey, but no more so than dolphins on islands.

NAB
01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Well first you will have to see if your child loves the club. Some don't like being left behind and others don't want to leave.

Yes the clubs are good and will even take your child to lunch. We have left our children in the clubs while we went to the shops in St.Thomas and St. Martin. They do not like this kind of thing. Just make sure you tell the CM's you will be off the ship ,since they won't be able to get a hold of you if your child wants to leave.

Most people don't like leaving children with babysitter etc. so this is really up to you and how you would feel.

sdrsdd
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
We have always wanted to do DC--maybe I could just add that on to the end and stay on the ship in Nasssu.

smb6
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
This seems to be a personal choice. Lots of people say they would never leave their kid on the boat; others have no problem with.

I have no problem with it. Like someone else mentioned, just let the club know you are leaving the boat. I plan to leave my kids while the adults go on a flight seeing excursion this May- I have 100% fine doing so....

omalley1118
01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
This is a personal choice. We went for our first cruise last Nov and are going again in May. I LOVED the kids club, as did our kids. That being said they were 6.5 and 8.5. 4 may be a bit young, but that depends on you and your child. IMHO the only problem is that it would take you awhile to respond if there was an issue.

Snooptoo
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Our daughter was 3 the first time we cruised with Disney I was on the ship and kept trying to get her out of the program and she would not come. After that in port we left the ship and went shopping without her she knew we were gone but did not care. At 5 she begged us to leave her on the ship because she did not want to walk around shopping in port. This year she is 8 we are zip lining in Puerto Vallarta and she doesn't want to do it so she has already asked to stay on the ship. I say do what you feel comfortable with if your child loves the program go for it. I have to say there are less kids in the kids program while in port so they get more attention and some times get treats.

mousebrat
01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
We left our two year old in Flounders Reef while we did the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel on the advice of the concierge staff. We are glad we did. He wouldn't have had fun at all.

mnrhannah07
01-11-2011, 04:38 PM
we were on the wonder in November and we also left DS2 on the ship while we went into Nassau. He doesn't go to daycare but he really enjoyed himself in flounders. Plus I heard that Nassau isn't that great of a place for small children because of the peddlers and what not, and it turned out to be the best decision we could have made!