PDA

View Full Version : ORANGE family Trip - Day 9 Sept 5 MK

Momto2funkids
09-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Cast:
Me - Age 38, mom
DH - Age 38, Navy man
Last time we were at WDW together was 1995.
DS1 - Age 9 (was at WDW with me and grandma once when he was 2, but doesn't remember)
DS2 - Age 7 First timer

We had done so much the Saturday before at MK, that we actually "slept in" a bit (after all, we were no longer sweltering in the heat of the camper, but were now at the Contemporary).

My DS's couldn't understand why we weren't going to AK this day since it was the only park we hadn't been too yet, but I had to explain that if we went to AK today, we'd have to be at MK on Friday which was also Night of Joy. I guess I'd done pretty well so far in the planning, so they didn't complain. They had AK to look forward to for the next day.

We took the monorail to MK and arrived around 9:30. Took the train to Frontierland and planned on getting a fast pass for Splash mountain. Good news! We didn't need one! We walked right on.

Next stop was Tom Sawyer Island. My boys loved this. DS1 had read the book and DS2 and the rest of us had listened to the book on tape, so they were excited to be there. They knew all the story. I'd recommend either reading the book, listening to it or maybe watching the movie before you go. The boys loved this. We were glad that we had already done so much of MK the previous Saturday, so we could relax and let them play and explore without worrying about "missing out on rides". They spent probably an hour here.

Back on the mainland, we rode BTMRR, our 9 year old's now favorite ride. Then we headed over to the Diamond Horseshoe Review Saloon and had lunch on the balcony. This is a great way to eat and see a show at the same time. And since while we were at Fort Wilderness, we couldn't afford Hoop De Doo, this was a nice alternative. The boys split a salad which was quite big. DH and I each had the roast beef sandwich, which we both found was a little bland, but at least it was filling, so we hoped to be able to last on just lunch until our PS at Chef Mickeys in the evening.

After lunch, we went to Fantasyland to take in some rides we missed on Saturday. Believe it or not, we had to get a FP for the POOH ride cause it was about a 25 minute wait. While waiting for our Fast pass time, we went on Snow White's scary adventrues with no wait. Then we headed over to ToonTown Fair and walked right on Barnstormer. Checked out Mickey and Minnie's house, and saw Cinderella, some mice, and CHip and Dale at the Fair. Then headed back to Fantasyland to use our fast pass for Pooh. We skipped Dumbo--horrors! (Dumbo, Alladin and the Riverboat ended up being the only things we didn't ride/experience in MK)

Against my better judgement, we went to Tommorrowland Speedway. This turned out tot the the longest, hottest ride of our entire trip-about 30 minutes.

After that we walked on to Space Mountain two times in a row and would have gone a third, but dh talked us out of it. We did Buzz Lightyear again, and it got stuck in there. Our scores got reset.

Dh and I wanted to see ExtraTERRORestrial again, but the two DS's wouldn't go on it. DS2, however, was in love with Skippy and DS1 liked the robot in the preshow, so we talked them into going just to that part and then they took the chicken exit out with me, while DH went on the round-theatre part alone. But for a while, both boys thought we were going to force them to go into the theatre.

It was raining as we waited for DH outside the theatre. We decided to go up to the People Mover since at least we could sit down while we decided what to do next. Since this ride is covered, we didn't get wet. The CM working the ride said that if it is windy, however, you would get wet.

We decided to got shopping a bit, and while we were buying souvenir shirts, the rain stopped. Since the park closed at 6pm that day, we were running out of time. We asked the boys to chose two rides to do again (since we had pretty much done it all!) for their final rides and they chose Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise. We had a much better guide on the Jungle Cruise this time, so it was a good ending to the day at the park.

We monorailed back to the Contemporary and changed for Chef Mickey's. We sat in the big room, which was great. I tried to eat my $20.00 worth of shrimp and prime rib. Those parmesan potatoes were great! The boys liked a lot of the foods there and had fun decorating their own cupcake. The characters were fun too.

After our meal, we went up to the Observation Deck. We went through the California Grill to get there, but then we decided to walk back down. You can also get to the Observation deck by going out one of the doors on the floor, so we went back in on floor 11.

Back at our hotel room, we heard the music of the Electrical Water Parade, but could not see it from the room, so we ran outside and caught part of it. We vowed to try and see it again on our last night.

Jo

Marla Hellwig
09-13-2002, 02:40 PM
I also like the mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's - along with the prime rib -yum - thanks for posting!

yepod
09-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Nice day @ the MK!

So you access the CR observation deck from the 11th floor?

Thanks for posting!

Momto2funkids
09-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Yes, you can access the CR observation deck from the 11th floor. The 12th and 14th floor are concierge floor, so you can't get to them unless you are staying there.

Just go out on 11 and walk up. Be careful, though, the door is really heavy and there is a wind tunnel effect that slams the door.

Jo