PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - To Wear or Not To Wear

AJoyFulNole
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi all!

I've used these boards for years, but never registered and never posted anything, but I'm getting married in two months (!) at Shades of Green and I have a question to which I can't seem to find a definite answer! Maybe someone can help?

As I said, I'll be getting married at Shades of Green in mid-March (so I'm NOT a "true" Disney bride - unfortunately with our guest list a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding wasn't in our budget). I have a traditional ivory ball gown for a wedding gown (and it's HUGE! It weighs over ten pounds!). The wedding will be on a Saturday evening, and once the festivities are over at our reception at SOG, we're going to invite all of our friends to meet us over at Downtown Disney (we were thinking Ragland Road - any other suggestions?) for a no-host after-party of sorts where we can visit with our friends a bit more before they all head back to their respective homes, and/or they all go off to enjoy some Disney magic!

My question is this: Can the wedding party wear our wedding attire (Cinderella-blue long gowns for my four ladies, tuxes for the gents, and of course my wedding gown) to Downtown Disney, since we're not with DFTW? I know for sure that we can't wear them in the parks, and that we can't try to do an impromptu wedding (not that we would), and that they oftentimes frown at even doing photos at Disney hotels in wedding attire if you're not part of a DFTW package (we did contemplate getting on the monorails for photo ops), however we just want to sit down and have a few drinks with our friends and continue our celebration at Disney. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to wear my gown, but I'm really afraid I'll have to just buy a simple white party dress to change into (and wear a Minnie veil perhaps?). Does anybody have any info on this? Is there someplace on Disney's website that it's posted?

Any help you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you so much!!!

lurkyloo
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
There are NO rules prohibiting you from wearing wedding attire anywhere at WDW except the parks. Downtown Disney, the hotels—they're all fair game.

If you want monorail shots, go for it! Nobody at the resorts will hassle you because nobody knows (or likely cares) whether you had an official DFTW or not. They'll just be excited to see a bride! :thumbsup2

BecBennett
01-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Of course you're a true Disney bride!! Welcome out of lurkdom!

We were thinking about going to Jelly Rolls after the wedding, but because we'll have a few guests under 21 we'll probably go to Raglan Road too.

tinkerbell 766
01-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I am having a VR at the Swan. So, strictly speaking I am not a Disney bride (not even a bride at all really!!), but I see myself as one and have been welcomed here with open arms. Welcome to you!!
I am having my ceremony at the Swan andf my reception meal at Citrico's at the GF. I will be wearing my gown all day!! Randy (my photographer) intends to take photos all over the place (including the GF) and as Carrie says, as long as you are not actually in the parks, you can wear your gown wherever you wish. Good luck and can't wait to hear all your plans!!!

LaurenM
01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Of course your a true Disney Bride!!
I do have to ask, does your DF have to be a military member to get married at Shades of Green??

BecBennett
01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
You know, I've always been curious about that too

princesswendy720
01-07-2011, 09:38 AM
According to the Disney Wedding Blog, you need a military ID to have a wedding there. It doesn't need to be you or your fiance, you can be "sponsored" by someone (close friend or family member) who was or is in the military.

lurkyloo
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
And Government IDs work too! :thumbsup2