PDA

View Full Version : Adult age on dining plan

kimgof
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
So I have a 10 year old DS who is waaaaay picky with his food. Is it really difficult to order off the kids menu if he's listed as an adult on the dining plan? I could see this getting confusing since I also have a 7 yo DD who will be a child on the plan. I forsee a waiter or waitress removing 2 kid credits instead of 1 child and one adult. Not sure if that would be a problem down the line or not.
Do you think I should just plan mostly buffets since those are the easier foods for picky little monsters like mine?;) Of course I have a 15 year old DS who would love to eat a great steak at a table service. A bit of a problem. Any one else have issues like mine? Or maybe I just have too many kids :rotfl:

TDluvsDaisy
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I haven't had a problem with that. You would need to speak with your server to get an adult sized portion of the kids meal. If you have a problem with the server don't hesitate to get a manager involved.

When you get your receipts just double check carefully. I keep a spreadsheet and my own personal tally so I can compare. You'll definitely want to do this for yourself.

almburr
01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
I dont beleive that you will be able to get an adult sized portion of a kids meal. From what i understand is that your DS10 can order off the childs menu but it will be with an adult DDP credit.

dunbarfamily
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm pretty picky myself. No seafood, no fish, no meat on the bones, nothing too spicy, etc. That being said, I usually have no problem finding something I like from the adult menu. The only time I have a little bit of trouble is on Fridays during Lent at WDW. As a Catholic, I eat no meat on Friday, and it was hard finding something non-meat that I'd like at Liberty Tree and at Whispering Canyon. The latter is hard anytime of the year for me though due to my aversion to food on the bone.

Hope this helps! He'll probably be able to find something off the adult menu, but if he can't do as the others suggested and ask for a larger portion of a kids meal or just a regular portion of a kids meal.

MSSANDRA
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Most places will work with you. Buffets are great but they can get old! Tell the waiter what he wants and let them help you out. Be gracious but firm and I doubt you will have a problem. One trip our picky "adult" 11 year requested pasta done "his" way, plain steak, plain chicken, fries instead of veggies etc!

No problems at all.

catne
01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I dont beleive that you will be able to get an adult sized portion of a kids meal. From what i understand is that your DS10 can order off the childs menu but it will be with an adult DDP credit.

an "adult" kid CAN order an entree from the kids menu and they will make it an adult sized portion if the kid is an "adult" on the dining plan (for example, if ordering chicken nuggets and the normal kids portion is 4 nuggets, expect to see 7 or 8 on the plate for and adult ordering the kids meal.) We had a picky teen with us on one trip...she ordered the kids mac & cheese...they delivered a humongous bowl of it (which she couldn't come close to finishing.)

Yes, they will charge an adult credit, but they will also bring out a larger portion.

Now if this was a Disney "child" on the dining plan, no, they would not bring out extra portions for a child credit...the Disney "child" would get the normal Disney child portion.

But as for adults ordering kids meals...yes it happens and Disney is completely used to handling picky eaters, lol.

kimgof
01-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had no idea that they could "size up" the kids portion. That makes me feel better. The last thing I want to do is argue with my DS about what he has to eat on our vacation! Thanks again....the DIS board rocks:thumbsup2

Em&Bec'sMom
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Big thumbs up on the buffet idea. At the buffets, there is usually a kids area, but they are not restricted to it and may also choose from the regular, adult selections.
We did a lot of them one trip when we had a 9 year old that was a more adventurous eater than what was on the kid's meals. But....at the same time, we had a 5 yo who was quite the picky eater. It was nice to be able to get her to "try a little" of some new things when she had the "regular" kid food to fall back on. You might just be able to convert your picky eater!

DCDisney
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Some places won't size up the kids food though so just be prepared both ways. It's very easy to get plain pasta, plain steak, and plain chicken anywhere though. Being able to order the adult desserts is a GREAT reward for perhaps eating something more healthful than nuggets or mac and cheese for dinner ;)

Wendy31
01-08-2011, 12:40 AM
This year, we will have 2 kids that are actually "adults" in Disney's eyes. DD, our pickier eater, is 11, & DS will be 10. (Our other child will be 2.)

My question along the same lines as the OP --

Kids just don't eat meals like adults do - they don't like their meats all sauced up & lying on top of their potatoes, you know? So, even though we're paying adult prices for our 2 older children, will the restaurants be willing to perhaps plate the adult meals a little more child-friendly?

DD will eat grilled chicken with mashed potatoes. But she won't like the chicken w/ some sort of "weird" sauce that gets mixed in w/ her mashed potatoes. And DD doesn't like large adult-sized portions either. I was actually planning on both she & I sharing our meals w/ her baby brother.

Plus, I think my kids will miss the Mickey ear plates.

So I guess my question is... will my child "adults" be okay? :goodvibes

TruBlu
01-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Don't worry, you'll be fine. We were able to order anything we wanted for our "adult" kid. He usually ended up with a meat (with whatever sauce it was supposed to have on it on the side instead) and french fries subbed for whatever was supposed to come with it. :thumbsup2 Worked great!!! (Kids meals were definitely an option, too.)