PDA

View Full Version : New to Planning

Queenofthecastle
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
After about 10 years of dating, it's finally my turn to plan my Disney wedding! We got engaged about 3 weeks ago on Maui and we are thinking of a 2012 wedding, possibly in June, August, or March. Unfortunately we have to stick to school breaks like summer or spring break because we have 3 guests(immediate family) that are teachers/principal. Otherwise, we're normally September loving people!

So after 3 weeks of deliberation, we've decided to go ahead with a Disney wedding in Florida. It's a big decision for us since we and most of our guests will be traveling from the Pacific Northwest. We currently have 2 guest lists...one that's about 50-60 people that we really really really want to have there and that would most likely be able to make it, and one that's just over 200 that would make everybody happy. Since we're coming from the west coast, we really have no idea how many of the 200 would be able to make it or even want to travel that far. Maybe half? We don't have a clue. Anyway, we haven't contacted DFTW yet because we haven't decided what to do about our guest list. Ideally, if we had more than 100 we'd like to have it at AAR and if less than 100 at LSS. My questions:

1. If we send out the 200 invites, and reserve the AAR, what happens if less than 100 can make it after the final head count? Ideally we'd like to have the LSS as backup in case that happens, but won't that be most likely booked by another party by the time the final headcount is tallied? Do people reserve 2 areas until their final counts are in?

2. From the research I've done it sounds like Disney assigns you a wedding coordinator depending on the sites you choose and their availability. Can you choose who you want to work with though? For example, if I read about a great coordinator from someone's PJ, can I ask for that person?

3. We'd like to have our ceremony at the WP, but our reception at Epcot. If we choose our own photographer/videographer, they can only shoot/film at the WP, but not at the reception? We have to have Disney shoot the reception only? Wouldn't it be weird having 2 different photographers for the day?

Anyone else plan a DFTW wedding in Florida that is from the west coast?

I know I will have many more questions so that you for your patience :)

PartofDisney'sWorld
01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
After about 10 years of dating, it's finally my turn to plan my Disney wedding! We got engaged about 3 weeks ago on Maui and we are thinking of a 2012 wedding, possibly in June, August, or March. Unfortunately we have to stick to school breaks like summer or spring break because we have 3 guests(immediate family) that are teachers/principal. Otherwise, we're normally September loving people!

So after 3 weeks of deliberation, we've decided to go ahead with a Disney wedding in Florida. It's a big decision for us since we and most of our guests will be traveling from the Pacific Northwest. We currently have 2 guest lists...one that's about 50-60 people that we really really really want to have there and that would most likely be able to make it, and one that's just over 200 that would make everybody happy. Since we're coming from the west coast, we really have no idea how many of the 200 would be able to make it or even want to travel that far. Maybe half? We don't have a clue. Anyway, we haven't contacted DFTW yet because we haven't decided what to do about our guest list. Ideally, if we had more than 100 we'd like to have it at AAR and if less than 100 at LSS. My questions:

1. If we send out the 200 invites, and reserve the AAR, what happens if less than 100 can make it after the final head count? Ideally we'd like to have the LSS as backup in case that happens, but won't that be most likely booked by another party by the time the final headcount is tallied? Do people reserve 2 areas until their final counts are in?

2. From the research I've done it sounds like Disney assigns you a wedding coordinator depending on the sites you choose and their availability. Can you choose who you want to work with though? For example, if I read about a great coordinator from someone's PJ, can I ask for that person?

3. We'd like to have our ceremony at the WP, but our reception at Epcot. If we choose our own photographer/videographer, they can only shoot/film at the WP, but not at the reception? We have to have Disney shoot the reception only? Wouldn't it be weird having 2 different photographers for the day?

I know I will have many more questions so that you for your patience :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :banana::cheer2::wizard:

To answer your questions:

1. If you come short of 100 guests then I believe they will move you to a backup location, however I'm not sure where that is. Also I'm not sure if you can reserve 2 locations, but my guess is no because you have to sign a Letter of Agreement that has all the information about your locations and what the stipulations are.

2. I don't think you can choose your planner, but it never hurts to ask. I could be wrong.

3. Any in-park events that you have photographed MUST be used by Disney photography. So typically you can have your WP pics taken by your own photographer, and then when you go to EPCOT Disney would take over. However, when you sign your LOA, certain elements require that you use Disney vendors, so some of this stuff can be a little tricky. I would double check with your coordinator about this.

My advice to you about this (because DF and I were in the same boat, we had about 190 people on our guest list at first and wanted AAR, but then we saw the price and had to cut the list down to 90-ish and go with another location) is to meet with a coordinator either in-person or on the phone, and ask about BOTH options, and they will send you TONS of info about using both locations with both sets of invited guests. I've also seen a lot of Dis Brides on these boards send out informal pre-RSVP things to get an idea of how many people to expect, maybe you could do that something like that? And then after you get all your info from your coordinator, sit down and decide what you want to do. It always helps to talk to the professionals! :thumbsup2

lurkyloo
01-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Just to add my two cents...

We currently have 2 guest lists...one that's about 50-60 people that we really really really want to have there and that would most likely be able to make it, and one that's just over 200 that would make everybody happy. Since we're coming from the west coast, we really have no idea how many of the 200 would be able to make it or even want to travel that far. Maybe half? We don't have a clue.

The typical response rate for a destination wedding is 50%-75%, but Disney says their numbers are higher cuz, well, it's Disney. We and most of our guests live in California, and we had a 50% response rate for our Epcot wedding.

I might suggest that you only invite the people you really really want there, which is just a good practice in general when it comes to weddings and may make it easier to guesstimate how many people will actually come.

Usually you have a pretty good idea how many people are coming well before the time when another party might swoop in and take your venue. Your planner will be a big help in steering you toward the appropriate venue. Going back to the 50-60 vs. 200 figures, those 50-60 are the most likely to come, so your planner will probably have you work with that number even if you do invite all 200.

Disney assigns planners based on their schedules and event loads, not the sites you choose. I have heard of people requesting specific planners, but it really depends on their availability.

3. We'd like to have our ceremony at the WP, but our reception at Epcot. If we choose our own photographer/videographer, they can only shoot/film at the WP, but not at the reception?

Correct.

We have to have Disney shoot the reception only?

That's one way to do it.

Wouldn't it be weird having 2 different photographers for the day?

It depends. I remember one bride who had two different photographers at her wedding, one right after the other, and sometimes Escape brides have Disney photography in addition to an outside photographer (if that outside photographer allows it in their contract).

One way to look at it is that it will give you two different styles/looks for your day, expanding your options. Another way to look at it is, hey, at least you get to pick your photographer for the ceremony! :rotfl:

We live in Los Angeles and planned the whole thing from here, with one 3-day visit for a planning session (http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney-weddings/our-wedding/planning-session/), hair + makeup trial, and engagement shoot (http://clients.rootography.com/carriepatrick/engagement/) with our photographers. Disney makes it very easy to plan remotely, and if you can get out there for an in-person session, you pretty much plan the whole event in one day.

Hope this helps—and happy planning! :goodvibes

lurkyloo
01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Dagnab the DIS and its double posts!

Queenofthecastle
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Thank you, ladies!

2. I don't think you can choose your planner, but it never hurts to ask. I could be wrong.

I finally called DFTW and found out that if you have a preferred wedding planner, they can make a note of that person's name and try to work it out. No guarantees, however.

My advice to you about this (because DF and I were in the same boat, we had about 190 people on our guest list at first and wanted AAR, but then we saw the price and had to cut the list down to 90-ish and go with another location) is to meet with a coordinator either in-person or on the phone, and ask about BOTH options, and they will send you TONS of info about using both locations with both sets of invited guests. I've also seen a lot of Dis Brides on these boards send out informal pre-RSVP things to get an idea of how many people to expect, maybe you could do that something like that? And then after you get all your info from your coordinator, sit down and decide what you want to do. It always helps to talk to the professionals!

Thank you for this advice! I will discuss it with the coordinator when I get that phone call. The main office says they are running at about 3 business days in getting in touch with people.

:thumbsup2

Just to add my two cents...

The typical response rate for a destination wedding is 50%-75%, but Disney says their numbers are higher cuz, well, it's Disney. We and most of our guests live in California, and we had a 50% response rate for our Epcot wedding.

This is about what I had in my head too, 50%. I will discuss this with the coordinator to find out what happens if we are close to the 100 people range.

I might suggest that you only invite the people you really really want there, which is just a good practice in general when it comes to weddings and may make it easier to guesstimate how many people will actually come.

We may end up doing exactly this, especially when we see the prices! Great advice! :)

One way to look at it is that it will give you two different styles/looks for your day, expanding your options. Another way to look at it is, hey, at least you get to pick your photographer for the ceremony! :rotfl:

Haha so true! :rotfl:

We live in Los Angeles and planned the whole thing from here, with one 3-day visit for a planning session (http://disneytravelbabble.com/disney-weddings/our-wedding/planning-session/), hair + makeup trial, and engagement shoot (http://clients.rootography.com/carriepatrick/engagement/) with our photographers. Disney makes it very easy to plan remotely, and if you can get out there for an in-person session, you pretty much plan the whole event in one day.

We will most likely make a quick getaway over a long weekend for a planning session. My AP expires at the end of March this year so it would be ideal to have one before then, but I'm guessing it's way too early for a March or June 2012 wedding! Oh well...

Hope this helps—and happy planning! :goodvibes

I really appreciate the help ladies....thank you! :flower3: