PDA

View Full Version : When to order wedding dress?

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 12:43 PM
How much time should do i need?

We are getting married 11-11-11 and i have no clue when to order my dress or even how long it takes to do adjustments.

any thoughts? ideas?

Mindyjoy
01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
I think 6 months before is the general rule but my opinion is, the sooner the better!

sambycat
01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
At least 6 months so shop! 

neener3
01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
When you see it, buy it! I found mine over a year before the wedding. It's a bit too big now, but some adjustments and it should be fine. Adjustments can be done the month before.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Im just worried about it "fitting" i am trying to eat right and lose weight so i dont want to order a big old dress and it look weird after its altered

ChocoKat
01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I ordered mine over a year in advance.
I wasn't expecting to find it that fast, but when I did I went for it.
About the fit... I ordered a size smaller than I was, because I had been exercising every single day and had already lost a couple of dress sizes.

The consultant and my DH both agreed that a size smaller would be the wisest thing to do given my exercise habits and my history of weight loss.

Now a year later the dress fits like a glove, just needs a bustle that is being put on right now.

I never stopped going to the gym and eating healthy and will keep my routine going.

I would really think very hard about it before buying a dress and being very blunt with yourself about your fitness goals, weight gain/loss outlook and then decide what size dress to get.

My seamstress said she was shocked I had bought my dress a year in advance and a size smaller and that it fit so well. Normally the majority of her business comes from brides that need to get their dresses taken out ASAP.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 01:15 PM
well i want to lose around 60 plus pounds. i have been looking online at dresses but havent been to the store yet.

elleinad16
01-03-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm getting married the same day as you! :banana:

I wasn't going to even start dress shopping until this year, however when I went out to the dress shop to look at bridesmaid dresses, the sales person forced me to try on some dresses. :rotfl:

I ended up getting the first one I tried on :lovestruc...so I ordered that at the end of October 2010 and it should be in the shop between April and June :eek: (that was longer than I thought it would take) and then getting adjustments I would probably add on another month or so.

I would think that you are in good shape to start soon and still have time!

Have fun dress shopping!!! :hug:

princesswendy720
01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
It depends on the kind of gown you're planning on getting. For designer gowns that are custom made..I've read to get it a year ahead. Even if your gown comes in early, wait until a month before for alterations. It's always easier to take a dress in than to let it out.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm getting married the same day as you! :banana:

I wasn't going to even start dress shopping until this year, however when I went out to the dress shop to look at bridesmaid dresses, the sales person forced me to try on some dresses. :rotfl:

I ended up getting the first one I tried on :lovestruc...so I ordered that at the end of October 2010 and it should be in the shop between April and June :eek: (that was longer than I thought it would take) and then getting adjustments I would probably add on another month or so.

I would think that you are in good shape to start soon and still have time!

Have fun dress shopping!!! :hug:

OMG that is a REALLY long time. Now im scared :/

I think im gonna call the dress place and ask them i thought they said weeks and not months.

elleinad16
01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
OMG that is a REALLY long time. Now im scared :/

I think im gonna call the dress place and ask them i thought they said weeks and not months.

I didn't mean to scare you!!

It might depend on the shops and the gown designer. Some places might have gown styles stocked.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
:cool1: i forget to say congrats :) i wish we could get married at Disney but are family wont travel :(

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
I didn't mean to scare you!!

It might depend on the shops and the gown designer. Some places might have gown styles stocked.

:dogdance: i like a lot of the dresses at alfred angelo

girli565
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
My dress was from Alfred Angelo and I went in May 2009, we got married in June 2010. I ended up buying the 2nd dress I tried on and they told me it would take 10 weeks for it to come in.

5 days later the store is calling me to tell me it's in, I was shocked that it was in so quick but the girl at the AA store told me that it was the last one in the warehouse in my size so I got lucky. You may get lucky like me and get within a few days.

ChocoKat
01-03-2011, 02:42 PM
girli,
My dress is an Alfred Angelo as well!
And just like you it came in so fast.

I am glad I ordered early though because my style has since been discontinued and they don't have anything similar now. I would have been heartbroken if I had waited and found out I couldn't have it.

Amber,
I would start looking now, go to David's Bridal to begin with and see what kind of dresses work better with your existing figure. You do not have to buy anything yet, just go on a dry run and figure out what makes you feel good, what kind of thing you like, etc.
Once you do that I would start looking for boutiques and narrowing down options.

I only bought one size down because I had already lost weight and I was just inches away from the next one. I really wouldn't have taken the chance otherwise, I have heard waaay too many horror stories about brides having to crash diet to get into way too tight dresses and then being too sick/starved to even enjoy their own days. I also asked my consultant and she said they could alter my dress down 2 sizes if I actually managed to get down even more.

That would have cost a substantial amount of money so I am rather glad I didn't need it. But it could be done if push came to shove.

Always remember, taking a dress in is easier and sometimes taking a dress out is actually not possible, so thread very carefully when going down on sizes.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
girli,
My dress is an Alfred Angelo as well!
And just like you it came in so fast.

I am glad I ordered early though because my style has since been discontinued and they don't have anything similar now. I would have been heartbroken if I had waited and found out I couldn't have it.

Amber,
I would start looking now, go to David's Bridal to begin with and see what kind of dresses work better with your existing figure. You do not have to buy anything yet, just go on a dry run and figure out what makes you feel good, what kind of thing you like, etc.
Once you do that I would start looking for boutiques and narrowing down options.

I only bought one size down because I had already lost weight and I was just inches away from the next one. I really wouldn't have taken the chance otherwise, I have heard waaay too many horror stories about brides having to crash diet to get into way too tight dresses and then being too sick/starved to even enjoy their own days. I also asked my consultant and she said they could alter my dress down 2 sizes if I actually managed to get down even more.

That would have cost a substantial amount of money so I am rather glad I didn't need it. But it could be done if push came to shove.

Always remember, taking a dress in is easier and sometimes taking a dress out is actually not possible, so thread very carefully when going down on sizes.

Im just such an odd shape. that is what worried me. Im pretty top heavy even when i lost weight.

Can i just look with out making an appointment?

pezaddict231
01-03-2011, 02:52 PM
When I was shopping, most places said at least 6 months for it to come in and then you need a month for alterations, so I would say around 7 months total.

I would start looking now and ask the stores, tell them your weightloss goals and see what they recommend. You may be able to delay a little, but honestly, it is best to order a dress in the size you are now. They can always take it in, and very rarely would it effect the look of the dress. If you are concerned, talk to the seamstress at the shop.

Speaking from experience, do not order your dress smaller than you are now. They can alter it, no one will know the size but you and you can cut the tag out. It is much much harder to let a dress out and a lot of them can't really even be let out that much. It is not worth the stress worrying if your dress will fit and not having many other options because your wedding is a month away. In the end, I was lucky and it worked out, but I do wish I had ordered in the right size. It cost me more money to alter and a lot more grief than was necessary. I would hate for another bride to go through that.

ChocoKat
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Im just such an odd shape. that is what worried me. Im pretty top heavy even when i lost weight.

Can i just look with out making an appointment?

I just made an appt. I actually went to two separate David's Bridals with different friends to help me figure out what dresses and what shapes fit me better. The consultants were ever so nice, that I returned to buy my slip, bra and bolero from them even when I got my dress elsewhere.

If you make an appt and go with one other friend and just try a bunch of different shape dresses and ask the consultant for help you will be just fine, don't worry!

I always thought I would look like a bear wrapped in satin, tulle and chiffon when I would picture myself trying on gowns at the beginning :rotfl2:, but they made it so painless and they had so very many options.

Alfred Angelo was amazing too!

elleinad16
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
:cool1: i forget to say congrats :) i wish we could get married at Disney but are family wont travel :(

Thank you! Congrats to you too! :) It's all very exciting and now, very soon! :goodvibes

:dogdance: i like a lot of the dresses at alfred angelo

That's good, I would assume that they have a quicker turn around rate than what I'm enduring right now. But I went to a little hidden-jewel boutique in a small town and ordered a designer dress...so I guess the wait would be longer.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM
maybe ill take a look!

pinkmiss3
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I called yesterday to make an appointment at David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo. It was strange because the lady at Alfred Angelo told me its good to buy a dress a year out (i'm getting married in december) at Davids the girl said most brides buy their dresses later. I guess everyone just thinks differently. I am hoping to buy one on friday. I feel like the sooner the better in case things go wrong.

helloirishkitty
01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I bought my dress in July for my February wedding and it was estimated that it would arrive around Christmas. It came in right after Thanksgiving and my first fitting is Saturday. It is Maggie Sottero. It really depends on the designer- my shop said that if I had come in any later they wouldn't have wanted to risk it not arriving.

AmberHeartsDisney
01-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Well Sunday i have my first appointment! I didnt know it would be SO hard to find a dress i like.... ill post some of my favs

AmberHeartsDisney
01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aisledash.com/media/2008/05/dallas-marie.jpg <----- Dallas Marie by Maggie Sottero

http://www.alfredangelo.com/shared/images/products/0/1267f962-3cb4-46f6-ae64-86917f206e51.enlargedNormal.jpg <---Style 2186 Alfred Angelo
im not a big fan of beads so i think the **** thing would not be there for me

http://www.alfredangelo.com/shared/images/products/0/9a329530-bbb4-4c2b-8199-abf3d3d02a62.enlargedNormal.jpg <------- Style 2123W Alfred Angelo

pinkmiss3
01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I tried on the Alfred Angelo dress! and let me tell you it is even prettier in person. This dress will make you look very slim. Good luck on sunday!

disneylizzylou
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
My wedding is in March of 2012 and I ended up buying my dress last week!! I bought a Sottero & Midgley dress and they said it could take 5-6 months to come in and then they say you normally need 3 dress fittings (one to try on the size and hem it, one to make sure the hems are ok and do the bustle, and then the final fitting). It never hurts to start looking to at least get an idea of the dresses you like and if you find one how long it would take to come in. That way you have an idea of how much time you have until you need to definitely order the dress

AmberHeartsDisney
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
My wedding is in March of 2012 and I ended up buying my dress last week!! I bought a Sottero & Midgley dress and they said it could take 5-6 months to come in and then they say you normally need 3 dress fittings (one to try on the size and hem it, one to make sure the hems are ok and do the bustle, and then the final fitting). It never hurts to start looking to at least get an idea of the dresses you like and if you find one how long it would take to come in. That way you have an idea of how much time you have until you need to definitely order the dress

Well..you see i am trying to lose weight before the wedding. Well life in general really i just so happen to be getting married haha. but i am worried about sizing.... will i stay the same? what if i lose what if i gain? can it be fixed? i better take a note pad Sunday!

i go to Alfred next Saturday too.

Disney9.9.10
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I bought my dress about a year and a half ahead of time. I found my dream dress at a great price so I couldn't pass it up. But, I am glad that I did buy it that far ahead of time. If you are buying off the rack, it isn't that important when you buy, as long as you can get alterations finished. However, if you are getting a dress made (which I did) it takes 6-8 months to get them in, plus time for any alterations you need made. So I would say to order as soon as you can, so that you don't have to stress out about whether it will be ready for your big day!

AmberHeartsDisney
02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Well i broke down and got it about two weeks ago! once i seen the one i liked i couldnt not get it hah

tigger536
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Good for you!!! Do you have pictures?

PS: I ordered mine November 2009. My wedding is April 2011. They tried to get me to order it in a 6 because one measururement (waist) was closer to 6 than 4. I wouldn't let them and got a 4. They made my intital(!) that I did this, I guess so that I wouldn't blame them when it didn't fit later, lol. Dress took 6 months to come in. By the time of my first fitting, I had lost 20 lbs and the dress was too big. I have my nest fitting sunday. They may have to take it in a hair more as I lost few more 1lbs since then, but it should be close. Just make sure you have several fittings along the way and you'll be great!:thumbsup2

tigger536
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Good for you!!! Do you have pictures?

PS: I ordered mine November 2009. My wedding is April 2011. They tried to get me to order it in a 6 because one measururement (waist) was closer to 6 than 4. I wouldn't let them and got a 4. They made me intital(!) the form that I did this, I guess so that I wouldn't blame them when it didn't fit later, lol. Dress took 6 months to come in. By the time of my first fitting, I had lost 20 lbs and the dress was too big. I have my next fitting sunday. They may have to take it in a hair more as I lost few more lbs since then, but it should be close. Just make sure you have several fittings along the way and you'll be great!:thumbsup2

MissManners
02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I think it all depends on what kind of dress you are getting. Places like David's Bridal have dresses in stock (or that they can get for you in 10-16 weeks), but since they are not custom you will probably have to get a lot more alterations, which can take time. I am ordering a custom dress and was told that I need to order it 8 months before my wedding, but that my alterations will be minimal because the dress will already be made according to my measurements. So if you can narrow down what type of dress you want, then you can figure out how soon you need to order.

Try not to stress! There are so many beautiful dresses out there, and you are not so far behind that you won't be able to get your dream dress! Good luck! :thumbsup2

briancoper
06-24-2011, 09:53 AM
When it comes to wedding dresses, begin looking early. In my opinion, you should start today for shopping. Buying a wedding dress can be one of the most stressful parts of the wedding-planning process, yet it's also one of the most important.