PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Guide 2003 vents on EE

DisneyFanGuy
09-11-2002, 10:32 PM
I just picked up the 2003 Unofficial Guide. They speak extensively about the cancellation of EE and how it was the one true benefit of staying onsite. They also howl with laughter about Disney's explaination (Guests wanted the Caravan instead???!!!) and actually print the official Disney response that so many of us got in the mail or on Email.

Over and over again they mention the budget cuts and the fact that they started long before 9/11. It's almost like Bob S. (the author) regularly visits our boards. In fact, maybe AV is secretly writing the travel guide.

LOL!

Anyway, I have always found them to be a most reliable and interesting read. I pick up the book every other year or so because so many of their comments and opinions echo mine. They manage to walk the critical line without bashing everyone and everything like Al does on Mouseplanet. (Though I enjoy reading his stuff regularly too)

It's the first big publication that I have seen tackle the issue of budget cuts and the elimination of EE. It's really worth a look. Considering the copies in circulation, it's possible that it may influence even more folks to modify their trip plans.

Disney, are you listening?

donald@home
09-11-2002, 10:42 PM
I was wondering what the unofficial guide was going to say about the cancellation of ee. Thanks for the info. I will need to pick up a copy.

Spaceman Spiff
09-11-2002, 11:27 PM
I may pick up a copy even if its only for the entertainment factor.

Bob O
09-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Nice to see the book not be a PR flak and talk about the issue honestly and rip disney like they deserve to be!!

DisneyFanGuy
09-12-2002, 04:51 PM
I really like it for a couple of reasons. They are critical without pulling any punches, but I never lose the feeling that they love WDW and the entertainment that it offers. They praise the resort much more than criticize, and yet use humor appropriately to drive home specific points of view.

The more that I read, the more comments that I found supporting our cause. In fact, they even take Disney to task for inappropriatly using the park income to support the other "failing" divisions.

raidermatt
09-12-2002, 05:13 PM
I just picked it up yesterday and skimmed through it a bit and so far I agree with DisneyFanGuy's evaluation.

I noticed the "other divisions" comment. If I didn't know better, I'd say the author is a regular on this board...

I did notice one piece of info (so far) that is no longer accurate. It states that Enights are for off-season periods, which is clearly no longer true. However, given how early this probably went to press, things like this are understandable.

dan-tot
09-13-2002, 02:49 PM
If Disney is having so much problems then why are they thinking about building two theme parks in China?

Dan-tot

dan-tot
09-13-2002, 02:49 PM
If Disney is having so much problems then why are they thinking about building two theme parks in China?

Dan-tot;) :Pinkbounc

DisneyFanGuy
09-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Disney only owns a small percentage of the overseas parks in Japan, and makes it's money via a license agreement and consulting fees. Somebody else owns the financial risk so there is only upside financially. I think the China parks are similar in their financial partnership.

AV? Is this correct?

Mooobooks
09-14-2002, 12:27 AM
That Unofficial Guide has been the source of mis-information before, such as this nugget from the Disneyland 2003 version: the writer explains that in Soarin' Over California, after the lights go out, "the floor drops away."
Only someone who's never been on the ride, and stood on the concrete floor, could make a ridiculous statement like that.
Only a person who's never been on the ride and looked right and left during the movie could have failed to see every single row of seats stacked up in front of the screen.
Frankly, I don't think the writer even went on the best ride in the park! Kind of makes you suspicious, doesn't it?

MDLRN
09-15-2002, 06:48 AM
__________________________________________________ __

Previous post about 2003 Unofficial Guide to WDW:

The more that I read, the more comments that I found supporting our cause. In fact, they even take Disney to task for inappropriatly using the park income to support the other "failing" divisions.
__________________________________________________ __

That my friends is the bottom line to Disney's current woes. WDW
is still profitable. Just not "as" profitable to keep "failing" divisions afloat and still remain "as" profitable. WDW had to cut back to maintain the current cash flow for its under producing divisions eg; ABC, Go.com and recent over budgeted and under producing films. Litigation is very expensive also. ME bit off more than he can chew and got rid of some very talented people along the way. Disney is lacking management and good ole common sense. After all it is "free" to listen to what their most important asset (us) wants....Good clean fun at a reasonable price.

Mike

Just my two cents

chell
09-15-2002, 02:45 PM
A researcher for this book is a member here. I can't remember the user name. But I do remember they are from NC and I think it is a woman.