PDA

View Full Version : Make-up and Hair Trial, is it necessary?

Butler_chic07
12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Is there anyone who did not have a hair and make-up trial?? I wanted to have one, but don't think I will have time to do it. IF I do get time it won't be until June, like a week before the wedding, and am not counting on that at the moment. However I don't want to have to count on that. I just wanted to ask if worse comes to worse and I don't get to have a trial do you think it will all be okay? I am not planning on anything fancy, just some big loopy curls (kind of like Ashley Tisdale or Taylor Swift) and I just want natural makeup.

Thank you all for your input!

princesswendy720
12-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Even if you can't have the person who will be doing your hair on the big day give you a trial, I still think it's important because you don't want to scramble for a plan B on the day of. Is there a local salon who will do a trial on you and then you can bring pictures of that to your stylist for the wedding?

Butler_chic07
12-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes, thanks. The person who normally does my hair would gladly do that for me. She actually curls my hair like that occasionally after she cuts it.

I meant should I worry about not being able to have a trial with the 'company' that I book for my BIG day. I think that is my bigger worry.

Sorry for not explaining that well. I think the holidays have gotten to my brain...

Thank you for your quick reply!

Jilian
12-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think it is a big deal not doing a trial. I'd just bring pictures to show what you want and maybe include a pic of what you normally look like in makeup to help them make you look similar. I don't plan on doing a trial. You can always watch as she's applying the makeup and if you really hate it just speak up and ask for the appropriate changes. From all of the pictures I've seen the Disney makeup artists do such a wonderful job.

HottyToddy10
12-30-2010, 11:09 PM
One of my girlfriends didn't do a trial. She handed her stylist a picture a few weeks before, and the stylist told her "no problem."

It was just simple big natural waves.

She ended up with little Shirley Temple style ringlets!!

I did a trial, but she didn't use hairspray so it took a fourth of the time the actual updo took.

lzimm13
12-31-2010, 12:10 AM
I just had my trial done and I kinda think it may have been unnecessary. I really didn't give her any thing too specific, you can see the results in my PJ. I mean its nice to know what my hair and makeup will look like day of but I have Patricia LeJeune and she comes very highly recommended and I trust her work so I'm thinking the $100 could have been better spent on something else...of course hind sight is 20/20:confused3

lurkyloo
12-31-2010, 01:24 AM
For me a trial was important because I wanted to see how my hair and makeup would look in photos. So we scheduled it right before we did engagement photos with our wedding photographer.

I was *so* glad I did this because A) it gave me and Patricia a couple hours to try different hair styles and find one I liked and B) once I saw the photos, I knew that bronzer was all wrong for meI'm so glad I found out before the wedding day!

So, no, a trial isn't totally necessary if you can't afford it or just don't have time for it. But it sure is nice to have if you can swing it.

gemmybear83
12-31-2010, 04:37 AM
I'm really glad I had one, I loved my trial (and we went for dinner at the California Grill afterwards which was lovely). If I didnt have one I think I would have been stressed on the day of the "unknown" :rotfl:

LittleStinkerbelle
12-31-2010, 09:09 AM
I did not have a hair/make-up trial. We planned our vow renewal on such short notice that there just wasn't time for me to do one. I printed out about 6 or 8 inspiration photos and made notes about what I liked about each - I knew I'd be pre-occupied the morning of so making notes right next to the pictures helped me convey what I wanted. I also brought a picture of myself from when I'd last had my hair blown-out by my stylist at home. My hair isn't long enough for an up-do so I basically wanted just a little more "special occassion" version of my regular 'do.

I was happy with how everything turned out and the stylist told me a few times we could always tweak anything as we went along.

pezaddict231
01-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I was glad I did a trial. It let us experiment with the make-up and then come up with a look that was perfect for the wedding. I did have inspiration pictures, but I found when she did the look I showed her, I didn't really like it on me. So for the wedding she toned it down a little and it was perfect.

But if you weren't able to do one while in Disney, I still think it would be okay. Do one at home and then take pictures from every angle to show them.

2010_Bride
01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I didn't have a trial with the actual company. I trusted all of the positive reviews of Beauty Speciale from this board - and I was coming from Canada.

I was looking for a vintage look and had a picture of a celebrity on the red carpet who's hair I loved and that was the picture I gave the hairstylist the day of my wedding.
I did have a trial at home, but I didn't like the results, and she had played with my hair so much that she would need to charge me extra to stay longer to re-curl it to get it right - I just gave up and hoped for the best on my wedding day.
Well on my wedding day it looked perfect! I even kept the picture I had handed the girl and have it saved with photos we took of my hair as they were basically identical :thumbsup2
My make up I wanted to be natural but a bit darker for photos so my pale skin wouldn't look washed out. The make-up artist thought I should try the vintage make-up to match my dress/ hair with some eye make-up, light blush and dark red lips. I wasn't sure about the look and she said we had enough time that if I didn't like it, she would take it all off and do a more natural look. In the end the vintage look was faboulous! I didn't think I would like it, but everyone in the room was going to kill me if I had her take it off. All Day I got compliments on the whole look (dress / hair / make-up) and it all looked great in the photos :cool1: