PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Port Adventures are up!

nickcapp
12-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Just a quick FYI for the disboards community!

LocustPoint
12-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Thanks. Off to take a look!

Cliffside
12-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Just a quick FYI for the disboards community!

thanks for the heads up. this is so exciting!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Robin"D"
12-28-2010, 08:28 AM
:cool1:let the planing begin!!!! :banana:
let see here.....:surfweb: NICE: :yay:

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

Pluto,
12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks

DL1957
12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks!:banana:

Pluto,
12-28-2010, 08:54 AM
DCL really went all out 3 pages of excursions for every port. im expecting there is going to be a lot of new bookings when the people take a look at the excursions.

tink,too
12-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up - off to take a look now. :)

smb6
12-28-2010, 10:15 AM
So excited!! Thanks- I'm off to check it out....

justmestace
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
We cruised Alaska this past summer, the excursions are all the same among cruise lines, so if anyone has any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to try to answer.
We had multiple families onboard with us, and everyone tried something different.
I'll try to watch for questions, but if I don't answer within a day, please feel free to send me a PM. :thumbsup2

I'll be on a cruise from Saturday, January 1st, until late Sunday, January 9th.

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Is there any way to print all of the excursions with the details and prices?

Robin"D"
12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
the easiest way is to copy & paste to a word doc

but print in "draft" settng to save your ink.

hope this helps

NancyIL
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM
With a few exceptions, DCL's excursions are the standard cruise ship offerings, with DCL's mark-up being higher than some other cruise lines. I can book Alaska excursions now for my August Holland America cruise, and I am interested in going to the Butchart Gardens in Victoria. HAL charges $69/adult for the Butchart Gardens and city tour, and DCL charges $85 for what sounds like the same tour. My ship will be in port from noon until 8 p.m., so I will probably live dangerously and take the $5 (roundtrip) public bus (2 of them) to the gardens. :teeth:

For many cruise line excursions there are independent vendors who offer a similar experience for slightly less money and/or much smaller groups. I like to give my money directly to local tour operators when possible. If port times are long enough, you might also consider renting a car.

bzzelady
12-28-2010, 12:55 PM
The other thing I noticed is children pay the adult price at 10 years old....many of the independent tour operators don't charge adult prices until age 12.

mmmears
12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm very happy that they are up! :banana:

smb6
12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
The other thing I noticed is children pay the adult price at 10 years old....many of the independent tour operators don't charge adult prices until age 12.

I noticed this too! And I don't love it given that I have a 10 and an 11 yr old I was anticipating to be kids priced for excursions.... But I also noticed that the price diff from child to adult was pretty small for most excursions... I also have a 13 yr old, but I knew he would be adult price....

Anyone notice there is no Sea Bering Fisherman tour (deadliest catch). And whats wierd is the Sea Bering (sorry if misspelled) website lists Disney Cruiseline as one they have a contract/partnership with for 2011! So, I'm wondering if all the excursions have not been posted yet....

Also- I was looking to do the round trip White Pass RR excursion and Disney is not offering it- only ones that are coupled with other stuff and having you do one side via train and coming back motorcoach. I wanted the one that is train all the way coupled with nothing else!

hmmmmm..... I'm off to look some more!

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I noticed this too! And I don't love it given that I have a 10 and an 11 yr old I was anticipating to be kids priced for excursions.... But I also noticed that the price diff from child to adult was pretty small for most excursions... I also have a 13 yr old, but I knew he would be adult price....

Anyone notice there is no Sea Bering Fisherman tour (deadliest catch). And whats wierd is the Sea Bering (sorry if misspelled) website lists Disney Cruiseline as one they have a contract/partnership with for 2011! So, I'm wondering if all the excursions have not been posted yet....

Also- I was looking to do the round trip White Pass RR excursion and Disney is not offering it- only ones that are coupled with other stuff and having you do one side via train and coming back motorcoach. I wanted the one that is train all the way coupled with nothing else!

I was wondering about the Bering Sea thing too...it was reported on Cruise Critic to be an excursion.

crw
12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
I was wondering about the Bering Sea thing too...it was reported on Cruise Critic to be an excursion.

I think there is a good chance that more excursions will be added. We noticed this is Mex riviera. Initial postings were not the full list of what was eventually offered. Hope for you that this true. I don't know anything specific, but wouldn't be surprised to see the lists grow a bit.

bzzelady
12-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour does not appear to be one of the ones selected by Disney but is independently bookable...here is the link

http://56degreesnorth.com/

Pricing is $159 for adults and $99 for children 5-12 (minimum age to participate is 5 years old)

We are going with Chilkoot Charters and Tours for our Skagway adventure.

http://chilkootcharters.com/

Selected the Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion with the dogcart ride included for $206/adult and $147.00/child (12 and under). This appears to encompass the best of both Disney's White Pass Railway and the Musher's Camp & Sled Dog experience (it misses Liarsville but we are going to do the Underground Juneau Gold tour).
This tour is about 9 hours, they pick you up and drop you off at the port, and is considerably cheaper if you have slightly older children. The Disney combination would cost us $1500 booked through Disney (for 4 adults and 1 eleven year old) but we are paying about $970 booking independently.

justmestace
12-28-2010, 06:41 PM

You can book directly for the Crab Fisherman's tour, they had open spaces when we got to the port and were asking people if they wanted to come along. The boat itself is docked right at the ships' port. Three minute walk, if that. Or you might be able to book it with Shore Trips. They're always cheaper than the ships.

We had originally booked the train round trip, and at the last minute we decided we didn't want to just sit on the train the whole time, and I'm glad we did. We had only teens/young adults along with us, so we coupled ours with the Brothel Tour...I think they called it the Red Light Train or something. And our bus stopped along the way up to the train station at different spots for us to take photos....we used one of them for our Christmas card picture this year. Had we taken the train round trip, we wouldn't have been able to do this. And besides, it's the same view going up and down. The trains do have potties....but they're a little primitive.

justmestace
12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
And yes, Alaska excursions are VERY expensive, if you're used to Caribbean and Mexican Riviera excursions. But trust me, they are sooooo worth it!!

Don't over book yourselves with excursions. The towns are really beautiful and clean to walk around in. Especially Ketchikan.

justmestace
12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Is there any way to print all of the excursions with the details and prices?

the easiest way is to copy & paste to a word doc

but print in "draft" settng to save your ink.

hope this helps

If you have trouble copying and pasting, I'd be happy to do it for you, if you PM me your email address. I can copy them and then email them to you.

Just a quick note, I'm cruising from January 1st until the 9th and won't be home until late that night. I'll check for requests when I'm back at the computer on Monday, Jan 10. :thumbsup2

justmestace
12-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I also strongly recommend getting one of the "Alaska by cruise ship" books that are available in the larger book stores, like Barnes & Noble. :thumbsup2 Read about your ports before you go, and you'll get a better idea of what you might want to do there.

justmestace
12-28-2010, 06:52 PM
This is a great coupon book to order ($5 for U.S. shipping/total cost)....we used a LOT of the coupons, and it also gave us ideas of what kind of souvenirs we wanted and which ports had the better prices for each of them. DO NOT count on being able to find it at the airport.

http://destinationalaska.com/contact.shtml

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 08:23 PM
If you have trouble copying and pasting, I'd be happy to do it for you, if you PM me your email address. I can copy them and then email them to you.

Oh my, you are so nice, but you most certainly don't have to do that!!

I am checking out the excursions. Of course figuring out what to do is going to be tricky. We are looking at doing the dog sledding on the glacier, but I am concerned about the weight restrictions. Two of them are showing no restrictions, but the others are. I could hate to get there and my husband being denied getting on the plane/helicopter or getting charged $300 for half a seat more :confused3

smb6
12-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh my, you are so nice, but you most certainly don't have to do that!!

I am checking out the excursions. Of course figuring out what to do is going to be tricky. We are looking at doing the dog sledding on the glacier, but I am concerned about the weight restrictions. Two of them are showing no restrictions, but the others are. I could hate to get there and my husband being denied getting on the plane/helicopter or getting charged $300 for half a seat more :confused3

I'm pretty sure all the helicopter rides cannot exceed 250 pounds. And that has to include all the gear they make you wear and stuff your carrying- like camera.

pixie08
12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Do you all think you can "see" Alaska without doing the really pricey helicopter/floatplane excursions? I don't mind spending around $200 a person if we decide to book this cruise, but any more than that would be out of the budget.

i was thinking of the whitepass in Skagaway, the what and glacier tour in Juneau and the misty fjords by boat or bear country wildlife in Ketchican.
Some people have stated that if you do not do the expensive helicopter tours etc Alaska would not be worth it, so we are deciding wether to do the cruise if we can not afford to spend thousands on excursions. What do you all think?

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm pretty sure all the helicopter rides cannot exceed 250 pounds. And that has to include all the gear they make you wear and stuff your carrying- like camera.

Well that is frustrating!! I saw on some they let you buy a half a seat.

smb6
12-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Do you all think you can "see" Alaska without doing the really pricey helicopter/floatplane excursions? I don't mind spending around $200 a person if we decide to book this cruise, but any more than that would be out of the budget.

i was thinking of the whitepass in Skagaway, the what and glacier tour in Juneau and the misty fjords by boat or bear country wildlife in Ketchican.
Some people have stated that if you do not do the expensive helicopter tours etc Alaska would not be worth it, so we are deciding wether to do the cruise if we can not afford to spend thousands on excursions. What do you all think?

I have not been to Alaska (yet- cruising May 31). BUT- I originally had planned to do a couple excursions only and explore the towns. My mind was changed when I read a trip report a while back where she said she wished she had booked more excursions because and hour or two in the towns were plenty. The bottom line is- we are docking in cities- and a city is a city is a city. I'm not going to Alaska to see a city- I'm going to see what's outside of the city.... the glaciers, the wildlife, ect.... Now, given that I have not been yet- you can take a grain of salt with my thoughts. But I am hoping to take several excursions. We are a large family and they are pricey, but this may be our only chance to go and I want to see as much as I can. We also plan to do the White Pass RR excursion in Skagway. Three out of seven of us plan to dog sled on a glacier via helicopter and the rest will go flight seeing. We are planning/hoping to do a few other things as well. I don't know that I would say not being able to go on many excursions means you should cancel your cruise, but I have not been yet and while I am definately trying to budget as best I can- (for example we have an inside cabin)- I am going all out (to an extent) on excursions.

Well that is frustrating!! I saw on some they let you buy a half a seat.

If you are over 250- you can still get on, just not for the standard price. You are correct, you should be able to purchase (in advance) a "half seat". Hope it works out!

smb6
12-28-2010, 10:11 PM

I re-read your post and I actually think you have some great excursions planned. (but are you sure those three don't exceed 200 per person?). Mendenhall is cheap and would give you a chance to see a glacier up close. The Whitepass RR is suppose to be awesome! And we are also considering a misty fjords boat or something similar..... (a chance to see eagles). I think those three excusions would let you "see" enough to still go..... **As I mentioned earlier, I have not been yet- just "actively researched";)

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 10:13 PM
If you are over 250- you can still get on, just not for the standard price. You are correct, you should be able to purchase (in advance) a "half seat". Hope it works out!

The notes say:

Guests weighing 250 pounds or more, with all clothing and camera equipment, are required to purchase an additional half-seat at the time of booking. If you need to purchase the surcharge, please complete your regular booking logged in, then send an e-mail to dcl.shore.excursions@disney.com and place your reservation number along with word "Helicopter Surcharge" on the comment field. Please note which port-of-call and tour you have booked and who will need a surcharge. Surcharge bookings will be added to the reservation and extra space will be guaranteed on the helicopter.

So I am wondering if the half seat purchase is half the price of the excursion? I am sure my family will not be the only ones with this "big issue". It is just tough when you are looking to spend $500-$600 per person and then get a $250-$300 surcharge on top of that.

smb6
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
The notes say:

Guests weighing 250 pounds or more, with all clothing and camera equipment, are required to purchase an additional half-seat at the time of booking. If you need to purchase the surcharge, please complete your regular booking logged in, then send an e-mail to dcl.shore.excursions@disney.com and place your reservation number along with word "Helicopter Surcharge" on the comment field. Please note which port-of-call and tour you have booked and who will need a surcharge. Surcharge bookings will be added to the reservation and extra space will be guaranteed on the helicopter.

So I am wondering if the half seat purchase is half the price of the excursion? I am sure my family will not be the only ones with this "big issue". It is just tough when you are looking to spend $500-$600 per person and then get a $250-$300 surcharge on top of that.

I agree- it is a lot to start with and then to add to it... I'm guessing (like you think) that it's an additional half price for the half seat. I would send them an email and ask!

LKFan
12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
I have not been to Alaska (yet- cruising May 31). BUT- I originally had planned to do a couple excursions only and explore the towns. My mind was changed when I read a trip report a while back where she said she wished she had booked more excursions because and hour or two in the towns were plenty. The bottom line is- we are docking in cities- and a city is a city is a city. I'm not going to Alaska to see a city- I'm going to see what's outside of the city.... the glaciers, the wildlife, ect.... Now, given that I have not been yet- you can take a grain of salt with my thoughts. But I am hoping to take several excursions. We are a large family and they are pricey, but this may be our only chance to go and I want to see as much as I can. We also plan to do the White Pass RR excursion in Skagway. Three out of seven of us plan to dog sled on a glacier via helicopter and the rest will go flight seeing. We are planning/hoping to do a few other things as well. I don't know that I would say not being able to go on many excursions means you should cancel your cruise, but I have not been yet and while I am definately trying to budget as best I can- (for example we have an inside cabin)- I am going all out (to an extent) on excursions.
!

I understand where you are coming from but the "cities" you will stop at in Alaska are very small (a few blocks, if that). Most "excursion" type activities can be booked on your own for a fraction of the cost that the ship (any ship) charges.

Juneau - You can do Mendenhall on your own. If you want to dog sled, that's a different story but, otherwise, catch the blue bus located at the dock. It is 20-30 minutes to get to the glacier. Take a hike down to the waterfall - It is well worth the time. Don't book a tram tour until you arrive in town and make sure that it is clear at the top of the mountain. If not, you won't see much of anything.

Skagway - A large majority of people on cruise ships do the White Pass RR. Not that it isn't worth it but the trains pull up just about right next to the ship to load and unload.

Ketchikan - Prepare for rain. It is the "Rain Capital of Alaska." We went kayaking in the rain and then walked around the town, looked at the totems, watched the salmon in the river, etc.

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I agree- it is a lot to start with and then to add to it... I'm guessing (like you think) that it's an additional half price for the half seat. I would send them an email and ask!

I emailed Dreams Unlimited and Disney to see what they say. I am also going to investigate not booking this through Disney, the cost savings could easily pay for that surcharge.

justmestace
12-28-2010, 11:04 PM

We definitely feel that we saw the beauty of Alaska, without having to fly over it. In fact, I liked the idea that we walked on the glacier and were in the water with the whales in Juneau (AWESOME!!), and that we traveled the same pass and heard the history of it, and could almost "feel" what an amazing feat that was (Skagway)....and to walk around Ketchikan, and also see it from the ground (whether it's boat or however) is so much better than just viewing it from overhead.
I personally felt more of a part of Alaska itself, by being right there. To me, the helicopter tour would seem like I was just riding "Soarin'" or watching a movie.

justmestace
12-28-2010, 11:12 PM

The only place that we didn't do paid excursions were Ketchikan and Victoria. We taxied to "downtown" Victoria, toured on foot and then walked back to the ship (this info is for people who plan on going to Victoria while they are in Canada).
In Ketchikan....we had such a short amount of time, that going to see the Totem Pole Village or any others, just wasn't worth it. And there is SO MUCH to see in that town. None of the ports are "cities". They're small towns with a lot of charm. But anyway.....our son did do the Crab Fisherman's tour in Ketchikan, and now that we've toured the town, I'd do the crab boat in a heartbeat the next time, because of all the awesome "nature" they saw. But hiking around Ketchikan was really fun and beautiful.

Point being....with careful planning, you can still do the tours and also see the towns. We did excursions in Juneau and Skagway (White Pass, and Whale Watching/Mendenhall) and still had time to look around the towns.
The history of each town is fascinating.

Inkmahm
12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I emailed Dreams Unlimited and Disney to see what they say. I am also going to investigate not booking this through Disney, the cost savings could easily pay for that surcharge.

I"ve been to Alaska with Princess several times. You won't eliminate the surcharge for being more than 250 by not booking with Disney. It is a standard charge for helicopter tours in Alaska. We did pay this when we were there in 2005. It is half the price of the full fare as a surcharge. And yes, they DO have a scale for you to stand on before you get on the helicopter.

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I"ve been to Alaska with Princess several times. You won't eliminate the surcharge for being more than 250 by not booking with Disney. It is a standard charge for helicopter tours in Alaska. We did pay this when we were there in 2005. It is half the price of the full fare as a surcharge. And yes, they DO have a scale for you to stand on before you get on the helicopter.

I understand that the surcharges are there regardless of booking with Disney or the tour company directly. My thought about booking directly with the tour company is that typically it is cheaper to do that than through Disney and then I can take that savings to offset the surcharge we will be paying no matter what.

disneymath
12-28-2010, 11:47 PM

We are booked for the ABD add-on package - which includes a helicopter ride at some point. There is nothing in the ABD literature that mentions anything about weight limits, so I guess I will be calling to find out. Two members of our party at right around that 250 mark, so it's not something I want to leave to chance.

After looking through the various DCL shore excursions, I'm happy with what is included in the ABD, but an additional fee of hundreds of dollars in helicopter surcharges would likely be a dealbreaker for us as far as the ABD is concerned ... :sad1:)

Schachteles
12-28-2010, 11:50 PM
We are booked for the ABD add-on package - which includes a helicopter ride at some point. There is nothing in the ABD literature that mentions anything about weight limits, so I guess I will be calling to find out. Two members of our party at right around that 250 mark, so it's not something I want to leave to chance.

After looking through the various DCL shore excursions, I'm happy with what is included in the ABD, but an additional fee of hundreds of dollars in helicopter surcharges would likely be a dealbreaker for us as far as the ABD is concerned ... :sad1:)

what is the ABD add-on package?

sayhello
12-28-2010, 11:52 PM

After looking through the various DCL shore excursions, I'm happy with what is included in the ABD, but an additional fee of hundreds of dollars in helicopter surcharges would likely be a dealbreaker for us as far as the ABD is concerned ... :sad1:)ABD would mention it on the website if there were an additional charge for over 250 pounds. My guess (although it is just a guess) is that that is included in the cost of the trip. But you're right. You really should call ABD to make sure. They can tell you exactly what the deal is.

I'll tell you, looking at these prices, the ABD is not that outrageous for what you get! And you can't beat the service!

Sayhello

sayhello
12-28-2010, 11:55 PM
what is the ABD add-on package?You can get your excursions as a tour added on to your cruise from Adventures by Disney.

Check here:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=AlaskaCruiseLandingPage

All your excursions are run by Adventures by Disney, you have the services of 2 Adventure Guides for the entire cruise, travel with the same 40 people on shore, get all your photos, all meals onshore, lots of other perks. I did an ABD add-on this year in the Med. Absolutely loved it!

Sayhello

Schachteles
12-29-2010, 12:00 AM
You can get your excursions as a tour added on to your cruise from Adventures by Disney.

Check here:

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=AlaskaCruiseLandingPage

All your excursions are run by Adventures by Disney, you have the services of 2 Adventure Guides for the entire cruise, travel with the same 40 people on shore, get all your photos, all meals onshore, lots of other perks. I did an ABD add-on this year in the Med.

Sayhello

Thanks, how expensive is that add on??

I noticed too that the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day doesn't show that there is a surcharge for weight?!? Wonder if that is right or if they just failed to put that in?!?

sayhello
12-29-2010, 12:06 AM

I noticed too that the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day doesn't show that there is a surcharge for weight?!? Wonder if that is right or if they just failed to put that in?!?I'd check with DCL, but, again, they're usually pretty upfront about those surcharges.

The add-on price is:

Adult $2299
Child $2069

Sayhello

mmmears
12-29-2010, 01:01 AM
We definitely feel that we saw the beauty of Alaska, without having to fly over it. In fact, I liked the idea that we walked on the glacier and were in the water with the whales in Juneau (AWESOME!!)

My family really want to "walk on the glaciers" but the only excursions I noticed where you can really get on the glaciers involved helicopters (or a 9 hr trek through an outside company). Can you tell me what you did in Juneau -- maybe there is a better alternative out there. I'm not crazy about helicopter tours (been on one and was very nauseous afterwards. I'm also not really into an "extreme" 9 hour trek, even though it was recommended by friends. ;)

I noticed too that the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day doesn't show that there is a surcharge for weight?!? Wonder if that is right or if they just failed to put that in?!?

The ABD add-ons are over $2000 per person -- not cheap. And you don't get to choose your excursions. Although if you like what they picked I can see that it would be great.

As for the listing online, I would definitely check with them. I don't think that all the excursions are complete yet -- several that we were looking at tonight were missing the pricing altogether (and I'm sure they won't be free :rotfl:).

mmmears
12-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Can anyone tell me how I could find out if we can do two excursions in one day?

Some of the excursions are only a few hours long, but I don't see anywhere on the site that shows the start and end times of the excursions. :confused3

justmestace
12-29-2010, 02:54 AM

Some of the excursions are only a few hours long, but I don't see anywhere on the site that shows the start and end times of the excursions. :confused3

DCL never lists start and finish times in any of their shore excursion info.
The only way you'll find out is when it's time to book them online. Book your "Must Do" first and then see what times that one is, and if you have time, the system will let you book another. If they overlap or the times are too close, the system won't let you do it.

You might be able to find out times from cruisers who are going before you....but it would be hard to find people doing the exact same things.

smb6
12-29-2010, 08:24 AM

I wish they provided the time options also. You can book more than one excursion as long as there is a minimum of an hour in between excursion times. I am hoping to do more than one per port also! I'm hoping the people that take the first Alaska cruise come back with all sorts of information!!

Some things you can figure on your own with a little research; for example the White Pass RR leaves at 8:15am and 12:45pm. So those are the only two options....

smb6
12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
DCL never lists start and finish times in any of their shore excursion info.
The only way you'll find out is when it's time to book them online. Book your "Must Do" first and then see what times that one is, and if you have time, the system will let you book another. If they overlap or the times are too close, the system won't let you do it.

You might be able to find out times from cruisers who are going before you....but it would be hard to find people doing the exact same things.

So when you go to officially book- will it give you an option of times to choose from? Or will you just book it and they assign you a time? I would really hope they would give you time options! (And I really wish they provided the times in advance)

Cliffside
12-29-2010, 09:40 AM

H Mary,
How are you? Which Alaska sailing are you planning on going on. We are sailing on August 23rd with Lori, Mindy and Kim. A little Med reunion.:cool1:
Happy New Year to you and Dan:)
Susan

Rob S.
12-29-2010, 10:09 AM
So when you go to officially book- will it give you an option of times to choose from?

If the excursion is offered at different times, you will get to choose from the available times.

justmestace
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
So when you go to officially book- will it give you an option of times to choose from? Or will you just book it and they assign you a time? I would really hope they would give you time options! (And I really wish they provided the times in advance)

Like Rob said above, yes, they'll give you the different time options.

justmestace
12-29-2010, 10:58 AM
My family really want to "walk on the glaciers" but the only excursions I noticed where you can really get on the glaciers involved helicopters (or a 9 hr trek through an outside company). Can you tell me what you did in Juneau -- maybe there is a better alternative out there. I'm not crazy about helicopter tours (been on one and was very nauseous afterwards. I'm also not really into an "extreme" 9 hour trek, even though it was recommended by friends. ;)

Sorry I missed this earlier. In Juneau, we did the combo of whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier.
A bus picked us up and took us to the whale watching boat....the bus driver was great, telling stories about Juneau as we went (and it wasn't crowded, either).
We took the boat out to whale watch, and there were 10 of us in the boat. The boat operators kept in touch with eachother so that they would know where the sightings were. It was unbelievable to see the whales spray and jump...and the scenery on the water was beautiful.

We got back on the bus and went to Mendenhall Glacier, where we walked down the path to the glacier. My son chose to walk around to be next to the glacier itself, at the falls, hubby stayed and kept an eye on him, while I went up to the museum and gift shop.
We still had some time after the tour to do some shopping in town, but not a whole lot, maybe an hour and a half?

melsherard
12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Just a quick tip, for those of you looking into the White Pass Railway, we just were there in September, and someone on another board suggested to us that we rent a car instead. There is an Avis car rental in Skagway, just a short distance from the ship. The highway basically goes the same route as the train.We rented a car for about $100 for the day, then took the Klondike highway up into the Yukon.. It was BEAUTIFUL, and we could stop and take pictures when we wanted to. You do not have that luxury when you are on the train. My aunt took the train, and I think she wishes she would have gone with us. We drove all the way to Carcross, Yukon, where we saw Emerald Lake, then turned around and came back. Don't forget your passports! You will need them to cross over into Canada :)

NancyIL
12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
We got back on the bus and went to Mendenhall Glacier, where we walked down the path to the glacier. My son chose to walk around to be on the glacier itself, hubby stayed and kept an eye on him, while I went up to the museum and gift shop.

Please explain how your son walked on the glacier itself. Mendenhall Glacier is across the lake from the visitor center, and is inacessible to hikers unless you approach it from the west glacier trail: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/map.html You can walk to Nugget Falls, but that's not on the glacier.

smb6
12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Please explain how your son walked on the glacier itself. Mendenhall Glacier is across the lake from the visitor center, and is inacessible to hikers unless you approach it from the west glacier trail: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/map.html You can walk to Nugget Falls, but that's not on the glacier.

I had wondered the same thing. Not that I'm casting doubt, but if there were literally a way of walking on the glacier from that vicinity- I would be very interested in knowing. Now- hearing that your ds did it rather than you- I'm thinking he just maybe took a path that allowed him to get much closer and have a better view but maybe he didn't actually walk on the glacier?

smb6
12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Just a quick tip, for those of you looking into the White Pass Railway, we just were there in September, and someone on another board suggested to us that we rent a car instead. There is an Avis car rental in Skagway, just a short distance from the ship. The highway basically goes the same route as the train.We rented a car for about $100 for the day, then took the Klondike highway up into the Yukon.. It was BEAUTIFUL, and we could stop and take pictures when we wanted to. You do not have that luxury when you are on the train. My aunt took the train, and I think she wishes she would have gone with us. We drove all the way to Carcross, Yukon, where we saw Emerald Lake, then turned around and came back. Don't forget your passports! You will need them to cross over into Canada :)

Well as keen as I was on taking the round trip train ride- it sounds like a lot of folks with experience suggest otherwise... Now, I don't know that we will do the car rental (as my kids would particurarly enjoy the train)- but I am revisiting the idea of the train up and the motorcoach with planned stops on the way back...... I have a few months before I can book, so I'll just keep researching and thinking.....(and over thinking;))

NancyIL
12-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Well as keen as I was on taking the round trip train ride- it sounds like a lot of folks with experience suggest otherwise... Now, I don't know that we will do the car rental (as my kids would particurarly enjoy the train)- but I am revisiting the idea of the train up and the motorcoach with planned stops on the way back...... I have a few months before I can book, so I'll just keep researching and thinking.....(and over thinking;))

I enjoyed the train to Fraser, BC with van to Carcross, YT and back to Skagway. This is the excursion we did with Chilkoot Charters: http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm What I originally booked twice was the longer train all the way to Carcross with bus return. Both times (2007 and 2009) the tracks washed out just before we arrived, and we had to do the shorter train excursion!

justmestace
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM

This is why we took the bus up one way and the train back down.

But note: If you don't take the train at least one way, you ARE missing some really great scenery and info that they give on the train. The train tracks and the highway are on opposite sides of a divide.

justmestace
12-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Okay, yes, he walked the trail below the Visitor Center, to the falls.....my mistake. Since it's all ice over there, I was thinking that it was still part of the glacier.
He was to the side of the mouth of the glacier, on the ice, near the falls.

I corrected my original post.

sayhello
12-29-2010, 12:18 PM
There were excursions offered on Princess that took you the back way onto the Mendenhall Glacier, and let you walk on it. I haven't looked over all the DCL ones yet to see if that's offered. It's the only glacier you can get to without a boat or a helicopter (or float plane) that I'm aware of. But you cannot easily get there from the visitor center.

As for the White Pass & Yukon RR, if you're only going one way, I *HIGHLY* recommend you do it going up. I did it round-trip, and the views of the scenery are much more beautiful going up than going down. And sit on the left-hand side going up (the right going down). The left-hand side going up has the best views by far. The fortunate thing is, though, you don't have to stay in your seat, so if you don't get on the better side, you can just not stay in your seat.

Sayhello

justmestace
12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
There were excursions offered on Princess that took you the back way onto the Mendenhall Glacier, and let you walk on it. I haven't looked over all the DCL ones yet to see if that's offered. It's the only glacier you can get to without a boat or a helicopter (or float plane) that I'm aware of. But you cannot easily get there from the visitor center.

As for the White Pass & Yukon RR, if you're only going one way, I *HIGHLY* recommend you do it going up. I did it round-trip, and the views of the scenery are much more beautiful going up than going down. And sit on the left-hand side going up (the right going down). The left-hand side going up has the best views by far. The fortunate thing is, though, you don't have to stay in your seat, so if you don't get on the better side, you can just not stay in your seat.

Sayhello

Also, to the front and back of each train car is a small viewing platform that you can go out onto to take pictures.

I think the scenery is going to be the exact same whether going up or going down....since it's the same track. The better view you get depends on which side of the train you're sitting on. We were lucky and only had ten people in our car, so we could go back and forth easily.

mmmears
12-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Okay, yes, he walked the trail below the Visitor Center, to the falls.....my mistake. Since it's all ice over there, I was thinking that it was still part of the glacier.
He was to the side of the mouth of the glacier, on the ice, near the falls.

I corrected my original post.

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping you were correct the first time, though. ;) I know of an "adventure" hike that can put us on the glacier, but it is an extremely strenuous all day trek, not really what I was looking for. Thanks for your info, though. We may end up doing the waterfall hike. ;)

pixie08
12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I re-read your post and I actually think you have some great excursions planned. (but are you sure those three don't exceed 200 per person?). Mendenhall is cheap and would give you a chance to see a glacier up close. The Whitepass RR is suppose to be awesome! And we are also considering a misty fjords boat or something similar..... (a chance to see eagles). I think those three excusions would let you "see" enough to still go..... **As I mentioned earlier, I have not been yet- just "actively researched";)

Oh no, I meant $200/pp per excursion. It's just some run over $400 pp.

pixie08
12-29-2010, 12:50 PM
H Mary,
How are you? Which Alaska sailing are you planning on going on. We are sailing on August 23rd with Lori, Mindy and Kim. A little Med reunion.:cool1:
Happy New Year to you and Dan:)
Susan

Hi Susan, Your not going to believe this, but if we do Alaska it will be that week (the 23rd) it just always works for us time wise. This is so funny!:rotfl:

sayhello
12-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Also, to the front and back of each train car is a small viewing platform that you can go out onto to take pictures.

I think the scenery is going to be the exact same whether going up or going down....since it's the same track. The better view you get depends on which side of the train you're sitting on. We were lucky and only had ten people in our car, so we could go back and forth easily.Not necessarily. The direction you cross the bridges, go through tunnels, etc, can make a big difference in how you view those.. Yes, if you're just looking straight out the windows to the side, it's pretty much the same.

Sayhello

smb6
12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh no, I meant $200/pp per excursion. It's just some run over $400 pp.

Oh, ok- gotcha! Well I think that budget should definately allow you to "see" Alaska! All of the excursions we are looking to do except Helicopter to dog sledding and flight seeing (we are not doing both- half of us are doing one/half the other) are easily under $200 per person! You know- one of the flight seeing excursions is only a little over 200 each, so that may be something to consider also.....

melsherard
12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping you were correct the first time, though. ;) I know of an "adventure" hike that can put us on the glacier, but it is an extremely strenuous all day trek, not really what I was looking for. Thanks for your info, though. We may end up doing the waterfall hike. ;)

The waterfall hike was really easy... pretty, too :)

NancyIL
12-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Most people who get ON Mendenhall Glacier get there by helicopter. DCL has several "trekking" excursions that I assume are with North Star Trekking: http://www.northstartrekking.com/content/ Above and Beyond Alaska does hikes to and on Mendenhall Glacier: http://www.beyondak.com/daytrips.html

On a land trip, you can walk up to the face of Exit Glacier in Seward, although there are signs warning you to stay back due to falling ice: http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d609b3127ccec4ad3ca24a1200000040O01ActGzhs5ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/ You can walk on that glacier if you're hiking on the Harding Icefield. You can also do a glacier hike on the Matanuska Glacier a few hours east of Anchorage. My DH and I hiked on Root Glacier in Kennicott: http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d804b3127ccec1264f716c7a00000010O01ActGzhs5ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/; http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d804b3127ccec126fc922c5800000010O01ActGzhs5ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

sayhello
12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
On a land trip, you can walk up to the face of Exit Glacier in Seward, although there are signs warning you to stay back due to falling ice. You can walk on that glacier if you're hiking on the Harding Icefield. You can also do a glacier hike on the Matanuska Glacier a few hours east of Anchorage. My DH and I hiked on Root Glacier in Kennicott.That's very true. I was speaking of glaciers that folks taking the DCL cruise could get to. I guess I should have been more specific.

Sayhello

Schachteles
12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd check with DCL, but, again, they're usually pretty upfront about those surcharges.

The add-on price is:

Adult $2299
Child $2069

Sayhello

I emailed Disney, hopefully I will hear back soon!

Macavity
12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
We cruised Alaska this past summer, the excursions are all the same among cruise lines, so if anyone has any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to try to answer.
We had multiple families onboard with us, and everyone tried something different.
I'll try to watch for questions, but if I don't answer within a day, please feel free to send me a PM. :thumbsup2

Did anyone do the horsebacking riding at all??? If so, can you tell me if they would do it again in a heartbeat?

princess81499
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Did anyone do the horsebacking riding at all??? If so, can you tell me if they would do it again in a heartbeat?

Does anyone know of an independent company to use for horseback riding? I have a 10 and a7 year old (both experienced riders) who would love to do it, but Disney has a minimum age of 12.

We booked independently in Aruba on our Panama Canal cruise in 2008 and it worked out great.

justmestace
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM

It's funny, I was just thinking about that. Out of all of us....and I think we had at least 30 people, no one did any horseback riding. :guilty: Looking back, I honestly don't remember seeing NCL offer it, but they must have.

It looks like Disney has a lot more "combination" excursions.

sayhello
12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
It's funny, I was just thinking about that. Out of all of us....and I think we had at least 30 people, no one did any horseback riding. :guilty: Looking back, I honestly don't remember seeing NCL offer it, but they must have.

It looks like Disney has a lot more "combination" excursions.Honestly? I sailed Princess, and I don't remember *anyone* horsebackriding in Alaska, nor do I remember seeing any excursions available to do so. I'm thinking it's something new-ish.

Sayhello

justmestace
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Honestly? I sailed Princess, and I don't remember *anyone* horsebackriding in Alaska, nor do I remember seeing any excursions available to do so. I'm thinking it's something new-ish.

Sayhello

That's what I said...I don't remember seeing it listed on NCL's excursions.
They DO offer it now in Skagway (I didn't check the other ports) but as to whether they had it this past summer when we cruised, I couldn't say. They have changed their shore excursion pages, so it all looks different than when we were booking.

LKFan
12-29-2010, 06:09 PM

We took a private tour with Dyea Dave. We read such good reviews about him but ended up with one of his associates and, although we saw a lot of beautiful sites, it didn't live up to what we had read about Dave's tours.

If you are driving, this guide is great. http://www.murraysguide.com/

LKFan
12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
This is a good example of how the cities aren't very large. It also shows how the train tracks pull up right next to the docks in Skagway. As in most port cities, tourism is their number one source of revenue. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

BTW, if you are driving, take a turn up Dyea Road (at the top of the map) and go to the scenic viewpoint for a great view of the cruise ship and city below.

NancyIL
12-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I did a search on the Alaska board at Cruise Critic, and there were several companies mentioned in the Yukon (while you're in Skagway):

http://southeasttours.com/yukon_skagway_horseback_riding_tours_skagway_alask a_tour_info.html

http://www.yukonhorses.com/

LKFan
12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Love this soap http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/ :love:

They have a tiny little store in Juneau.

NancyIL
12-29-2010, 07:12 PM

I love it, too. The first time I was in Juneau, I didn't find the shop until just after they closed at 6 p.m. I returned the following year and made sure I visited the store well before it closed! I will stock up when I am in Juneau in August.

justmestace
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM

I bought a bunch of these as gifts! And I still have two left, of the ones I bought for myself. I love the little bags they come in.:cloud9:

I'm pretty sure there are coupons for this store in the book we purchased. I posted the link to it a few pages back.

pixie08
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh, ok- gotcha! Well I think that budget should definately allow you to "see" Alaska! All of the excursions we are looking to do except Helicopter to dog sledding and flight seeing (we are not doing both- half of us are doing one/half the other) are easily under $200 per person! You know- one of the flight seeing excursions is only a little over 200 each, so that may be something to consider also.....

Oooh thanks. I am taking a look. I haven't examined each excursion. I do not want to get my heart broken. We just went on the 10 night med in aug (and added a few days in Paris) and we have the Dream booked in June, so we really have to see if this is financially possible. The cruise itself is not so bad, but combined with the thousand dollar plus flight for two and the excursions it adds up! I am really hoping dh examines the finances and gives me some good news (he is an accountant after all:rotfl:).

MinnieDiva
12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Oooh thanks. I am taking a look. I haven't examined each excursion. I do not want to get my heart broken. We just went on the 10 night med in aug (and added a few days in Paris) and we have the Dream booked in June, so we really have to see with the thousand dollar plus flight for two and the excursions it adds up! finances and gives me some good news:rotfl:).

Mary...
Lori twisted Mindy's, Susan's, and my arms and we're all on the Aug 23rd sailing......

:)kim

Hygiene99
12-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Has anyone used www.shoretrips.com ?

They have the Skagway Triple adventure listed for about $60 less than DCL.

There link

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=PNW&lcode=SKA&tcode=004514#

DCL link
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/skagway-alaska/skagway-triple-adventure/

Peter

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 11:31 AM
If anyone was following the other night when we talked about the weight surcharge for the flights in Alaska, here is the response I got from Disney:

Good Morning Kim,

If you are referring to the SW-20 DOG SLEDDING AND GLACIER FLIGHTSEEING in Skagway the surcharge is $195.00. If that is not the correct tour, let us know.

Have a great day!

Cruise Activities Team

So the surcharge is NOT 50% of the entire excursion cost, as this excursion is $549 for an adult and the surcharge is only $195.

sayhello
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
If anyone was following the other night when we talked about the weight surcharge for the flights in Alaska, here is the response I got from Disney:

Good Morning Kim,

If you are referring to the SW-20 DOG SLEDDING AND GLACIER FLIGHTSEEING in Skagway the surcharge is $195.00. If that is not the correct tour, let us know.

Have a great day!

Cruise Activities Team

So the surcharge is NOT 50% of the entire excursion cost, as this excursion is $549 for an adult and the surcharge is only $195.My guess is that's 50% of the cost of the part of the excursion that is the helicopter ride, which makes sense. (Say that 5 times fast! :rotfl:)

Thanks for getting an answer!

Sayhello

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
My guess is that's 50% of the cost of the part of the excursion that is the helicopter ride, which makes sense. (Say that 5 times fast! :rotfl:)

Thanks for getting an answer!

Sayhello

EXACTLY and that is what I was kinda expecting to hear. I am still waiting to hear if Disney made an error not listing the weight surcharge on the one helicopter/dog sledding tour that we are looking at.

Has anyone looked at the schedule for when your ship is docking in Ketchikan, we are showing 1:30pm!! I need to look at the excursions we are looking at...I am starting to think that early dinner isn't going to work (we were looking to switch regardless) and I hope that Disney does formal nights when we are at sea and not as a port day.

justmestace
12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Has anyone used www.shoretrips.com (http://www.shoretrips.com) ?

There link

DCL link
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/skagway-alaska/skagway-triple-adventure/

Peter

We've used them all over the Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera. We didn't use them in Alaska, but I wouldn't have hesitated. We've always been really happy with Shore Trips. They use great vendors and we've never had a problem.

jlwhitney
12-30-2010, 12:21 PM
EXACTLY and that is what I was kinda expecting to hear. I am still waiting to hear if Disney made an error not listing the weight surcharge on the one helicopter/dog sledding tour that we are looking at.

Has anyone looked at the schedule for when your ship is docking in Ketchikan, we are showing 1:30pm!! I need to look at the excursions we are looking at...I am starting to think that early dinner isn't going to work (we were looking to switch regardless) and I hope that Disney does formal nights when we are at sea and not as a port day.

Second dinner would defiantly be a good idea. I actually love second dinner. Formal and Semi-Formal nights are always on sea days. They also try to put the three big shows on sea days as well :).

smb6
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Were scheduled to dock at noon (it looks like). We are also doing early dinner, but I have zero intentions of changing it. If we miss dinner in the main room that night then, we will just have to eat at one of the casual places. We are considering the Lighthouse, Totems, and Eagles excursion or the Rainforest Island Adventure excursion for Ketchikan. So we most likely will miss the main dining that night..... Hopefully that is not our AP night! But if it is, we will live with out it....... What are you considering for Ketchikan?

mmmears
12-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Our Ketchikan schedule looks like it's noon until 8pm. (from the link posted yesterday -- is that where you saw yours?) As soon as I saw that, I was glad that I had requested the late dining. It should be easy for you to change if you want to, since it seems like the early dining always has a wait list. ;)

smb6
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM

I'll be on a cruise from Saturday, January 1st, until late Sunday, January 9th.

Right this second, I'm seriously considering doing the following......

Skagway- White Pass RR and Trail Camp....... And musherscamp and dog seldding expedition.

Juenau- Exclusive Whale Encounter & Mendenhall Glacier....... And Glacier Flightseeing Adventure.

Ketchikan- Lighthouse, Totems, & Eagles..... OR Rainforest Island Adventure.

Have you done any of those or anything similar? I'd love your thoughts..... What about the Misty Fjord Flightseeing?? We are determined to go flight seeing and it would actually be easiest to do it in Ketchikan, but I noticed the Misty Fjord one doesn't really mention seeing glaciers and the one in Juneau does so I'm thinking we just need to make it work in Juneau..... thoughts? TIA

smb6
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Also, a question for those of you who have cruised/booked excursions before.... What is the time of the earliest excursion typically? For example: We are scheduled to dock in Juneau at 7:45am. Might the first scheduled excursion be for 8am? Or will it take a while.... The reason I ask is I want to fit it two excursions in Juneau and it will require getting started early to fit both in! TIA

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Our Ketchikan schedule looks like it's noon until 8pm. (from the link posted yesterday -- is that where you saw yours?) As soon as I saw that, I was glad that I had requested the late dining. It should be easy for you to change if you want to, since it seems like the early dining always has a wait list. ;)

Yeah I saw it on a link someone posted in another thread.

We requested early dining knowing that getting into late dining is easier than going the other way.

Does anyone know the schedule of formal night?

disneymath
12-30-2010, 12:50 PM

FWIW ... I called DCL about the helicopter surcharge as they apply to the ABD package .... the Customer Service Agent I spoke with (passed on to him from the initial CM) had to do some research and get back to ... but the final word is that there is NO helicopter surcharge if you are on the Adventures by Disney package. (This gives some hope for the Disney exclusive dogsledding one I would think.)

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 01:00 PM
FWIW ... I called DCL about the helicopter surcharge as they apply to the ABD package .... the Customer Service Agent I spoke with (passed on to him from the initial CM) had to do some research and get back to ... but the final word is that there is NO helicopter surcharge if you are on the Adventures by Disney package. (This gives some hope for the Disney exclusive dogsledding one I would think.)

I am hoping that the Disney Exclusive Dogsledding doesn't have the surcharge, if you hear, please let me know!!!!! I wish we could afford the ABD package.

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 01:05 PM

I am hoping that the Disney Exclusive Dogsledding doesn't have the surcharge, if you hear, please let me know!!!!! I wish we could afford the ABD package.

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 01:13 PM

Just heard back:

Good Afternoon Kim,

The JU-31 Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day in Juneau does not have a surcharge associated with that tour.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you and have a magical day,

Cruise Activities Team

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

sayhello
12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Have you done any of those or anything similar? I'd love your thoughts..... What about the Misty Fjord Flightseeing?? We are determined to go flight seeing and it would actually be easiest to do it in Ketchikan, but I noticed the Misty Fjord one doesn't really mention seeing glaciers and the one in Juneau does so I'm thinking we just need to make it work in Juneau..... thoughts? TIAI did Misty Fjord Flightseeing in Ketchikan, and *totally* loved it! Fabulous trip. And the float plane was *way* more stable than the helicopters. :sick: Misty Fjord does not include any glaciers. I was there in May, and while there were touches of snow on the mountain tops, we saw no glaciers while in Misty Fjords. It's lush, lush green hills and waterways, and mist (really!) and lakes, etc. So don't do Misty Fjords if you're looking for glaciers. But if you're looking for a fabulous sight-seeing excursion, it's great!

Sayhello

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/Alaskasmall100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/Alaskasmall115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/Alaskasmall101.jpg

TDC Nala
12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I was thrilled to notice adult only excursion departures! I am pretty sure I will be booking at least two. Interested in the stinking expensive helicopter/dogsled in Skagway also.

mmmears
12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
SayHello -- thanks for posting the photos. I can't wait for people to start reviewing the DCL Alaska cruises and posting photos. ;)

How bad were the helicopters? I've been on one in Australia and a tiny plane in New Zeland and they both made me feel really yucky. :sick: Now the family wants to try a ride to Mendenhall:eek:, but I'm very, very reluctant to go. I want a smooth, short flight with no "swooping" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?:worship:

disneymath
12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Just heard back:

Good Afternoon Kim,

The JU-31 Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day in Juneau does not have a surcharge associated with that tour.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you and have a magical day,

Cruise Activities Team

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Yay ... awesome news! Go Disney! I hope you are able to book it - make sure to try as soon as your dates open!

Schachteles
12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Yay ... awesome news! Go Disney! I hope you are able to book it - make sure to try as soon as your dates open!

Me too! Let's hope we can get it, I'd like to think that lots of people might be scared away with the price.

NancyIL
12-30-2010, 05:59 PM
SayHello -- thanks for posting the photos. I can't wait for people to start reviewing the DCL Alaska cruises and posting photos. ;)

How bad were the helicopters? I've been on one in Australia and a tiny plane in New Zeland and they both made me feel really yucky. :sick: Now the family wants to try a ride to Mendenhall:eek:, but I'm very, very reluctant to go. I want a smooth, short flight with no "swooping" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?:worship:

One word...DRUGS!

mouseclick1
12-30-2010, 06:32 PM
A few new excursions have been added to Ketchikan, including the Bering Sea Fishing boat excursion (can't remember the official name:)!

pixie08
12-30-2010, 07:08 PM
I did Misty Fjord Flightseeing in Ketchikan, and *totally* loved it! Fabulous trip. And the float plane was *way* more stable than the helicopters. :sick: Misty Fjord does not include any glaciers. I was there in May, and while there were touches of snow on the mountain tops, we saw no glaciers while in Misty Fjords. It's lush, lush green hills and waterways, and mist (really!) and lakes, etc. So don't do Misty Fjords if you're looking for glaciers. But if you're looking for a fabulous sight-seeing excursion, it's great!

Sayhello

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/Alaskasmall100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/Alaskasmall115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/Alaskasmall101.jpg

Beautiful!

smb6
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
A few new excursions have been added to Ketchikan, including the Bering Sea Fishing boat excursion (can't remember the official name:)!

Thanks! I'm off to take a look....

pjacobi
12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Honestly? I sailed Princess, and I don't remember *anyone* horsebackriding in Alaska, nor do I remember seeing any excursions available to do so. I'm thinking it's something new-ish.

Sayhello

Perhaps it is because Alaska is infamous for animal abuse that occurred during the goldrush when pack animals were worked to death. The bodies were dumped at dead horse gulch, where the bones are still visible today from the White Pass and Yukon RR.

I think it is more important to learn about this unfortunate historical event than to go on a joy ride.

-Paul

smb6
12-30-2010, 07:22 PM

I see that there are some new excursions, but which one is the bering sea fishing boat excursion? Maybe I'm overlooking it.....

mouseclick1
12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
I see that there are some new excursions, but which one is the bering sea fishing boat excursion? Maybe I'm overlooking it.....

It seems like it isn't fully loaded yet. If you click on any Ketchikan excursion, you will get the complete list of Ketchikan excursions along the right side of the page. You can click on the Bering Sea tour there, though they do not have the price listed yet. They have two excursions; one includes dinner. Here is the one with dinner from the website:

Disney Exclusive: Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour and Dinner with the Crew

At a Glance
Activity Type: Signature Collection and Nature Adventures and Family Adventures
Activity Level: MildHelp
Duration: 5-5.5 Hours
Ages: 16 And Up
On this tour you will:
Take an easy walk from your cruise ship to the Aleutian Ballad. Board the vessel and meet the crew who will share with you the great history of the boat and give you an overview of the fascinating things you will see on tour.
Arrive at the first stop and watch the skilled Bering Sea crab fishermen bait and drop long line fishing gear in search of halibut, rock fish, shark and more. Haul in the long line and see what the catch of the day is! Continue sailing in search of wildlife, including bald eagles, whales, sea lions and seals.
Watch one of the highlights of the tour: hauling in the 700-pound king crab pots! A catch of golden king crab and snow crab are sure to delight. All the catch is placed in an on-deck aquarium so you can get an up-close look at these amazing marine animals you may never see again. Take lots of pictures and maybe even hold in your hand some of the creatures of the deep if you dare! Next, is a barrel pot fishing demonstration: octopus and wolf eels are familiar catches in the barrel pots.
Finally, witness Dungeness crab and prawn and shrimp fishing these little guys are amazing!
Leave the fishing grounds and arrive back in Ketchikan after approximately 3 hours at sea.
Join a member of the crew and other few Guests in an exclusive crab feast dinner at a local fishermen's favorite restaurant. Hear the stories of life at Bering Sea and all the behind-the-scenes action that the TV show didn't catch. Note: Non-seafood options available upon request.
Conclude your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by heading back to the ship.
Important Additional Information
This tour is not available at every call.
This tour is wheelchair accessible. Guests should notify Disney Cruise Liner at least 24 hours prior to sailing so that arrangements can be made with the tour operator.

smb6
12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
It seems like it isn't fully loaded yet. If you click on any Ketchikan excursion, you will get the complete list of Ketchikan excursions along the right side of the page. You can click on the Bering Sea tour there, though they do not have the price listed yet. They have two excursions; one includes dinner. Here is the one with dinner from the website:

Disney Exclusive: Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour and Dinner with the Crew

At a Glance
Activity Type: Signature Collection and Nature Adventures and Family Adventures
Activity Level: MildHelp
Duration: 5-5.5 Hours
Ages: 16 And Up
On this tour you will:
Take an easy walk from your cruise ship to the Aleutian Ballad. Board the vessel and meet the crew who will share with you the great history of the boat and give you an overview of the fascinating things you will see on tour.
Arrive at the first stop and watch the skilled Bering Sea crab fishermen bait and drop long line fishing gear in search of halibut, rock fish, shark and more. Haul in the long line and see what the catch of the day is! Continue sailing in search of wildlife, including bald eagles, whales, sea lions and seals.
Watch one of the highlights of the tour: hauling in the 700-pound king crab pots! A catch of golden king crab and snow crab are sure to delight. All the catch is placed in an on-deck aquarium so you can get an up-close look at these amazing marine animals you may never see again. Take lots of pictures and maybe even hold in your hand some of the creatures of the deep if you dare! Next, is a barrel pot fishing demonstration: octopus and wolf eels are familiar catches in the barrel pots.
Finally, witness Dungeness crab and prawn and shrimp fishing these little guys are amazing!
Leave the fishing grounds and arrive back in Ketchikan after approximately 3 hours at sea.
Join a member of the crew and other few Guests in an exclusive crab feast dinner at a local fishermen's favorite restaurant. Hear the stories of life at Bering Sea and all the behind-the-scenes action that the TV show didn't catch. Note: Non-seafood options available upon request.
Conclude your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by heading back to the ship.
Important Additional Information
This tour is not available at every call.
This tour is wheelchair accessible. Guests should notify Disney Cruise Liner at least 24 hours prior to sailing so that arrangements can be made with the tour operator.

Thanks!! I wonder why it is only for ages 16 and up.......

mouseclick1
12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks!! I wonder why it is only for ages 16 and up.......

The tour without dinner is for kids 5 and up. I don't know why there is an age difference.:confused3

justmestace
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Also, a question for those of you who have cruised/booked excursions before.... What is the time of the earliest excursion typically? For example: We are scheduled to dock in Juneau at 7:45am. Might the first scheduled excursion be for 8am? Or will it take a while.... The reason I ask is I want to fit it two excursions in Juneau and it will require getting started early to fit both in! TIA

Typically, they won't start meeting for excursions until just before the ship is docked and/or cleared. If you dock at 7:45...you might "meet" for your excursion at 7:45, but it probably really won't start until 8:45.
Did that make sense?

justmestace
12-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Right this second, I'm seriously considering doing the following......

Skagway- White Pass RR and Trail Camp....... And musherscamp and dog seldding expedition.

Juenau- Exclusive Whale Encounter & Mendenhall Glacier....... And Glacier Flightseeing Adventure.

Ketchikan- Lighthouse, Totems, & Eagles..... OR Rainforest Island Adventure.

Have you done any of those or anything similar? I'd love your thoughts..... What about the Misty Fjord Flightseeing?? We are determined to go flight seeing and it would actually be easiest to do it in Ketchikan, but I noticed the Misty Fjord one doesn't really mention seeing glaciers and the one in Juneau does so I'm thinking we just need to make it work in Juneau..... thoughts? TIA

In Ketchikan, our son did the Crab Fisherman's tour and his dad and I just walked around. He loved his excursion, and we thought Ketchikan was awesome.

Juneau: We all did the whale watching and Mendenhall. It was a really, really great excursion and seeing that many whales up close was almost indescribable. BUT....if you really want to do a flight tour, then that's what I would do if I were you. It will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for you.

Skagway: We did the Red Light Train tour since we had all young adults. It's the brothel tour with the White Pass Railway. I really believe that on everyone's first trip to Skagway, they all do at least the train in one direction, and it is worth it.
I've heard too many people ending up disappointed in the dog sled tours, I wouldn't even try myself. Most of the time, it's so muddy that it really isn't pleasant, and some I've heard of where people thought they were actually going to get to ride on a dog sled, and they didn't.

lenzs4
12-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Has anyone used www.shoretrips.com (http://www.shoretrips.com) ?

There link

DCL link

Peter

I have not used them but our TA ( a Disney TA that we have cruised with) LOVES them and uses them whenever possible!

mouseclick1
12-31-2010, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=justmestace;39354892]In Ketchikan, our son did the Crab Fisherman's tour and his dad and I just walked around. He loved his excursion, and we thought Ketchikan was awesome.QUOTE]

Do you think you would have had time to do the Fisherman's tour and walk around Ketchikan, without rushing? I'm really torn on what to do in this port. I would like to do an excursion, but I really want to spend time in the town as well. Our cruise has the later arrival time (1:30) and I'm not sure if there would really be time to do an excursion and enjoy the town. If I had to choose between the two, I would give up the excursion and simply walk around for the afternoon. I would love to hear your opinion! Thanks!:)

justmestace
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=justmestace;39354892]In Ketchikan, our son did the Crab Fisherman's tour and his dad and I just walked around. He loved his excursion, and we thought Ketchikan was awesome.QUOTE]

Do you think you would have had time to do the Fisherman's tour and walk around Ketchikan, without rushing? I'm really torn on what to do in this port. I would like to do an excursion, but I really want to spend time in the town as well. Our cruise has the later arrival time (1:30) and I'm not sure if there would really be time to do an excursion and enjoy the town. If I had to choose between the two, I would give up the excursion and simply walk around for the afternoon. I would love to hear your opinion! Thanks!:)

No, there wouldn't have been time. My husband and I were originally booked to do the excursion with our son, but once we discovered that going on the excursion would mean that we wouldn't get to see the town, we cancelled ours and let him go with the father of our traveling partners. He's not 18 yet, so he wouldn't have been allowed to go alone.

We were VERY happy that we canceled and got to discover the town. We had a map of the town, but we walked it from the "end to the beginning"...in the opposite direction that most everyone else was going...in other words, we went to the Salmon Ladder first, and then down into the town. It was beautiful. There's a lodge on the hill above the town and for a small fee, you can ride the mini-tram up there....more like an elevator than a tram....the views from there were spectacular.

We could have walked up to the Lumberjack show & gotten tickets at the door, but we were having more fun just wandering. We stopped at a little café for hot chocolate.....just a really nice day.

IF we go back again, I might do the Crab Fisherman's tour....or maybe I'd just walk around again. I'm really not sure. It was such a nice day, even though it rained off and on.

Our son really did have a good time, though. They saw a lot of eagles (but we'd been seeing them all along) and some whales (which we'd seen in Juneau) and the tour itself looked and sounded fun....he has some great pictures of HUGE crabs and other sea life.....but even with all that, I still am glad we made a different choice.

sayhello
12-31-2010, 12:03 PM

How bad were the helicopters? I've been on one in Australia and a tiny plane in New Zeland and they both made me feel really yucky. :sick: Now the family wants to try a ride to Mendenhall:eek:, but I'm very, very reluctant to go. I want a smooth, short flight with no "swooping" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?:worship:My suggestion? Stay away from the helicopters, and find an excursion that uses a float plane. I found the float planes to be extremely stable, and wasn't at all bothered by them like I was with the helicopters. I also suggest you mention to your pilot that you have issues with motion sickness. I did, and it may be that he was a bit more "careful" about flying smoothly than he might have been otherwise (although I'll never know!) If you have to do the helicopters, I agree with NancyIL. DRUGS!

Do you think you would have had time to do the Fisherman's tour and walk around Ketchikan, without rushing? I'm really torn on what to do in this port. I would like to do an excursion, but I really want to spend time in the town as well. Our cruise has the later arrival time (1:30) and I'm not sure if there would really be time to do an excursion and enjoy the town. If I had to choose between the two, I would give up the excursion and simply walk around for the afternoon. I would love to hear your opinion! Thanks!:)Just to let you know, the dock in Ketchikan is RIGHT in town. So it only takes a minute to get to town from the ship. The hardest part is crossing the street from the dock to the town, because it's a major road, and they have crosswalk monitors who are REALLY SERIOUS that you are not to jay-walk, and make you go to the lights. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

mmmears
12-31-2010, 12:35 PM
One word...DRUGS!

My suggestion? Stay away from the helicopters, and find an excursion that uses a float plane. I found the float planes to be extremely stable, and wasn't at all bothered by them like I was with the helicopters. I also suggest you mention to your pilot that you have issues with motion sickness. I did, and it may be that he was a bit more "careful" about flying smoothly than he might have been otherwise (although I'll never know!) If you have to do the helicopters, I agree with NancyIL. DRUGS!

Just to let you know, the dock in Ketchikan is RIGHT in town. So it only takes a minute to get to town from the ship. The hardest part is crossing the street from the dock to the town, because it's a major road, and they have crosswalk monitors who are REALLY SERIOUS that you are not to jay-walk, and make you go to the lights. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

On our last cruise, I used the patch and a Rx anti-nausea drug, both prescribed by my doctor. That is the first time EVER that I felt OK on a boat of any kind. So I will have "drugs" at work if we try this.

My DD and DH really, really want to land on a glacier and walk around on it (me, not so much). I agree about the small planes being steadier (ours wasn't as the weather was pushing us up, to the side, down, etc... the whole time! :eek: It was so bad the pilot had to turn around and go back.:sick:)

I guess my main concern is that, after feeling queasy, I won't be willing to get back on the ship -- no matter what. ;) In Australia, the helicopter pilot "swooped" down a few times and to land. We had to take a boat back to land and all that rocking in the ocean (after the helicopter ride) was what finally did me in. I felt queasy on our 3-nt cruise, but the waves weren't bad. I don't want to take an excursion then feel bad for the rest of the trip. :sick:

Thank you -- I really appreciate your advice.

mardonna
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
We are traveling as a party of 6.....2 adults and 4 kids ages 10, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, and 3 1/2 at time of cruising.....worried about what excursions would be good for them and also our pocket book.....we did the Baltic Cruise and found for our party size it was more cost effective to do outside tours or on our own....any one else doing this?

My husband and I have been on a Princess Alaskan cruise and have done the helicopter to the glacier, we did the highlights of Juneau with totem poles, and the the boat wildlife viewing....we enjoyed all of these but don't think they would be appropriate for the kids.....the kids are very scared and prone to motion sickness on small planes and helicopters, ad the other things may bore them.....any thoughts?

We are also taking the journey home to Los Angeles via Amtrak.....thought it would be a fun adventure for the kids so not sure if doing a railway excursion in alaska would be over kill...

Love some insight......

Thanks

mouseclick1
12-31-2010, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=mouseclick1;39359460]

No, there wouldn't have been time. My husband and I were originally booked to do the excursion with our son, but once we discovered that going on the excursion would mean that we wouldn't get to see the town, we cancelled ours and let him go with the father of our traveling partners. He's not 18 yet, so he wouldn't have been allowed to go alone.

We were VERY happy that we canceled and got to discover the town. We had a map of the town, but we walked it from the "end to the beginning"...in the opposite direction that most everyone else was going...in other words, we went to the Salmon Ladder first, and then down into the town. It was beautiful. There's a lodge on the hill above the town and for a small fee, you can ride the mini-tram up there....more like an elevator than a tram....the views from there were spectacular.

We could have walked up to the Lumberjack show & gotten tickets at the door, but we were having more fun just wandering. We stopped at a little café for hot chocolate.....just a really nice day.

IF we go back again, I might do the Crab Fisherman's tour....or maybe I'd just walk around again. I'm really not sure. It was such a nice day, even though it rained off and on.

Our son really did have a good time, though. They saw a lot of eagles (but we'd been seeing them all along) and some whales (which we'd seen in Juneau) and the tour itself looked and sounded fun....he has some great pictures of HUGE crabs and other sea life.....but even with all that, I still am glad we made a different choice.

Thanks, that was very helpful!

smeecanada
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
We are traveling as a party of 6.....2 adults and 4 kids ages 10, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, and 3 1/2 at time of cruising...........any thoughts?

Love some insight......

Thanks

When we went to Juneau last year - we did an excursion on our own. We took the shuttle from the Port into town. From there we purchased tickets on the "Blue Bus" (I think). They are old city buses - inexpensive for a family of four out to Mendenhall Glacier. It was about a 20-30 minute bus ride with the driver commentating along the way. Once there - there was a wooden trail system you could walk along - with the possibility of seeing bears - although we seem to always miss them. Quite safe - there were Park Rangers monitoring everthing. They had a display set up with a chunk of glacier ice and a Park Ranger there comparing it to regular ice (refridgerator type). You could walk out to the edge of the water with the Glacier in full view. There was also a beautiful Nature House with a small fee - they had multiple interactive displays, a movie and a small store. There is washroom facilities, but no restaurant that I can recall. There was a vending machine - that we got water at I think. The bus driver would drop us off in two different locations in town once back. We chose the first one and walked through the town a bit and then back to the ship. Next time - once finished in town - we will get the shuttle back to the ship - as it's a fair walk uphill in some portions back to the last dock spot. We didn't pay too much attention when coming into town as to the terrain or length for walking back. We had read about doing this on cruisecritic. If was fairly easy and straight forward to do and we liked being on our own time schedule other than having to be aware of the Blue Bus schedule pick up times.

smb6
12-31-2010, 02:46 PM
We are traveling as a party of 6.....2 adults and 4 kids ages 10, 6 1/2, 6 1/2, and 3 1/2 at time of cruising.....worried about what excursions would be good for them and also our pocket book.....we did the Baltic Cruise and found for our party size it was more cost effective to do outside tours or on our own....any one else doing this?

My husband and I have been on a Princess Alaskan cruise and have done the helicopter to the glacier, we did the highlights of Juneau with totem poles, and the the boat wildlife viewing....we enjoyed all of these but don't think they would be appropriate for the kids.....the kids are very scared and prone to motion sickness on small planes and helicopters, ad the other things may bore them.....any thoughts?

We are also taking the journey home to Los Angeles via Amtrak.....thought it would be a fun adventure for the kids so not sure if doing a railway excursion in alaska would be over kill...

Love some insight......

Thanks

I will also be cruising with younger kids- they will be (newly)5,9,10,12,and 13. We are still planning to do the flight seeing, but not take the kids- just adults. Plan to leave the little ones in kids clubs and my 13 yr old will be a few weeks shy of 14 and so that makes me a little more comfortable doing so.... I do plan to take them all on the White Pass RR and Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier. One adult will probably take the older kids dog sledding. And I'm considering the Rain Forest Boating excursion for Ketchikan- I was initially thinking we would all do that one, but then I started thinking about the fact that you go on about an hour walk and I'm worried my 5 and maybe even the 9 yr old will get whiney, so now I'm thinking if we do that one that I will not take all the kids.
With you having a 3 year old; I'm sure you noticed that several excursions are for ages 5 and older. I really took notice because my 4 year old will be turning 5 just before we cruise...... I think the train and whale watching would be great for your whole family but if you want to do some of the "nicer" excursions you may consider just the adults going......

catislander
12-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Mardonna,
We are also going to be taking Amtrak from LA to Seattle before our cruise. It's 36 hours plus on the train, so that, combined with the fact that my husband hates heights, has us leaning toward renting a car in Skagway rather than the train. There's a drive into the Yukon that sounds amazing, with plenty of interesting places to stop and explore on our own.
I haven't really decided on Juneau yet. We see whales frequently where we live, so I'm leaning toward taking the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and then exploring the city.
In Ketchikan we'll be kayaking and then walking around a bit on our own.
Which sailing are you on? We're on the May 31. My daughter will also be six and half on our trip.
Sherri

SanDiegoSteph
12-31-2010, 06:09 PM

If you just want to do the train ride and nothing else, you can book directly with the railroad online. The depot is just a 5 minute walk from the pier: White Pass Summit trip is 40 miles R/T (3-3.5 hrs) and costs: $112 adult/$56 child departing at 8:15am and 12:45pm. If you want to do the Fraser trip it is a bit longer - 54 miles R/T (4 hrs) and costs: $155 adult/$77.50 child departing at 8am and 12:30pm. We're supposed to dock at 7:15am in Skagway so you should have plenty of time to make the early train. www [dot] wpyr [dot] com/summitexcursion [dot] html

mardonna
12-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Mardonna,
We are also going to be taking Amtrak from LA to Seattle before our cruise. It's 36 hours plus on the train, so that, combined with the fact that my husband hates heights, has us leaning toward renting a car in Skagway rather than the train. There's a drive into the Yukon that sounds amazing, with plenty of interesting places to stop and explore on our own.
I haven't really decided on Juneau yet. We see whales frequently where we live, so I'm leaning toward taking the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and then exploring the city.
In Ketchikan we'll be kayaking and then walking around a bit on our own.
Which sailing are you on? We're on the May 31. My daughter will also be six and half on our trip.
Sherri

We are flying to Vancouver on June 21st......staying in Vancouver for 3 nights...taking Amtrak to Seattle then staying there through the 5th of July and then heading back on train to LA? We have not booked the train yet....have you? We need 2 sleepers because of our large group.....whats the best deal? AAA?

mellers
12-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Love some insight......

Thanks
We're doing our own--not only is it more cost-effective, I am in a mobility scooter, and a lot of the shore excursions were not accessible.

We're planning to take the round-trip excursion to the summit on the White Pass railroad in Skagway:

http://www.wpyr.com/summitexcursion.html

(Adults, $112, Kids $56) It has wheelchair lifts, and the station is only about 1/4 mile from the dock.

and in Ketchikan, we plan to take the Ketchikan Duck Tour (have to be able to board, but they will store wheelchairs):

http://www.akduck.com

(Adults, $38, Kids (3-12) $24, Kids under 3 are free)

In Juneau, we plan to take a bus:

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/index.php ($1.50 for adults, $1.00 for kids 6-18, free for under 6) Busses are wheelchair accessible.

to the Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure (have to be able to board the tram, but accessibility seems to be a priority):

http://www.glaciergardens.com/

(Adults $24.95, Kids 6-12 $15.95, Kids under 6 are free)

if the weather's nice. If it's not, we plan to walk over to the Alaska State Museum: http://www.museums.state.ak.us/asm/asmhome.html (Adults $5, Kids under 18 are free)

lenzs4
01-01-2011, 12:02 AM
OK - family wants: walk on blue ice, zipline...

thinking:
Juneau -
Glacier Adventure by Helicopter - mentions "river of ice" - I assume that is blue ice??

or

Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter w guided hike - anyone know if we will see/walk on blue ice?

Skagway -
Mammoth Waterfalls & Ultra Zip Adv.

or

Adv. Park & zipline

Ketichan -

walk around creek street (although I would like the Bering Sea Crab - my family says no)

Please let me know if you have info that might sway my decsion one way or another.

Also, I suppose I could zip in Juneau and glacier in Skagway - especially if anyone knows for sure that we will walk on blue ice!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info!

justmestace
01-01-2011, 01:48 AM
We walked around Ketchikan and loved it.

smb6
01-01-2011, 09:27 AM
OK - family wants: walk on blue ice, zipline...

thinking:
Juneau -
Glacier Adventure by Helicopter - mentions "river of ice" - I assume that is blue ice??

or

Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter w guided hike - anyone know if we will see/walk on blue ice?

Skagway -
Mammoth Waterfalls & Ultra Zip Adv.

or

Adv. Park & zipline

Ketichan -

walk around creek street (although I would like the Bering Sea Crab - my family says no)

Please let me know if you have info that might sway my decsion one way or another.

Also, I suppose I could zip in Juneau and glacier in Skagway - especially if anyone knows for sure that we will walk on blue ice!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info!

Sounds great!! My kids would also like to zipline, but we have several excursions we are hoping to do and it really doesn't look like we will be able to fit it in...... I'll be curious to hear from others on the "blue ice" as I had not even thought of that...

LKFan
01-01-2011, 11:24 AM
We kayaked in Ketchikan if anyone needs info about that.

sherjoy
01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
My dd 7 really wants to go and see the husky puppies at the dog sled camp. I know she would not put one foot on the helicopter to go out on the glacier (hates speed and loud noises). So it will just be mommy and daughter at the summer dog sled camp. Has anyone done this type of excursion before?

sayhello
01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
My dd 7 really wants to go and see the husky puppies at the dog sled camp. I know she would not put one foot on the helicopter to go out on the glacier (hates speed and loud noises). So it will just be mommy and daughter at the summer dog sled camp. Has anyone done this type of excursion before?I did this excursion out of Skagway, and totally LOVED it! They explain the Iditarod race to you, do some demos, take you out on their summer training cart (which the dogs pull) and then introduce you to the puppies. The area, well outside of town, was GORGEOUS! It was really a fun time. As long as you know what to expect (you're not actually dog sledding -- you need snow & ice for that) it's a great excursion. People really loved it.

This is the cart they pull you in:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/P1000944.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/P1000957.jpg

Puppies!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/Alaska/P1000960.jpg

Sayhello

sherjoy
01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=sayhello;39370136]I did this excursion out of Juneau, and totally LOVED it! They explain the Iditarod race to you, do some demos, take you out on their summer training cart (which the dogs pull) and then introduce you to the puppies. The area, well outside of town, was GORGEOUS! It was really a fun time. As long as you know what to expect (you're not actually dog sledding -- you need snow & ice for that) it's a great excursion. People really loved it.

Thank you! This really does look like it will be a "just right" excursion for us.

Petals & Pixie Dust
01-01-2011, 02:46 PM
OK so maybe I didn't read everything on this post...:rolleyes1 But I'm a little confused...I understand for the summer camps for dog sledding you ride in the carts...For actual Dog Sledding (snow and sleds) do you really get to ride on the sled??? It sounds like you do...but I want to check! TIA! :thumbsup2

sayhello
01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
OK so maybe I didn't read everything on this post...:rolleyes1 But I'm a little confused...I understand for the summer camps for dog sledding you ride in the carts...For actual Dog Sledding (snow and sleds) do you really get to ride on the sled??? It sounds like you do...but I want to check! TIA! :thumbsup2I'd check the description of each excursion carefully, because not all excursions are created equal. But, in general, yes, the excursions where you helicopter up to the ice & snow for Dog Sledding include riding in an actual dog sled.

Sayhello

Petals & Pixie Dust
01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd check the description of each excursion carefully, because not all excursions are created equal. But, in general, yes, the excursions where you helicopter up to the ice & snow for Dog Sledding include riding in an actual dog sled.

Sayhello

Awesome thanks!

SanDiegoSteph
01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
How can you tell whether you have the 12:10pm or 1:40pm dock time in Ketchikan? Is there a list by cruise somewhere? We are on the August 2-9 cruise.

SanDiegoSteph
01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
My DS will be turning 5 on August 14 and we are sailing August 2-9 - will there be any chance of us getting to go on port adventures that require a minimum age of 5?

smb6
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
How can you tell whether you have the 12:10pm or 1:40pm dock time in Ketchikan? Is there a list by cruise somewhere? We are on the August 2-9 cruise.http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2011/KTN_2011.pdf

This is the port schedule.... Hopefully it's accurate....

My DS will be turning 5 on August 14 and we are sailing August 2-9 - will there be any chance of us getting to go on port adventures that require a minimum age of 5?

I would call and ask.... On one hand I could see them being flexible if the age requirement is set by Disney. But if the age requirement is set by the independent vendors- it may be set in stone.....

Pooh667
01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi,
I would really like to step foot on the Mendehall Glacier but I am worried about the helicopter and motion sickness. I get motion sickness and my husband gets it worse then me. Is there a boat that can take you out to the glacier? Also for the whale watching tours, I see that they say 2 or 3 hours for whale watching, again I am worried about motion sickness, has anyone been on them? Thanks!

sayhello
01-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I did this excursion out of Juneau, and totally LOVED it! They explain the Iditarod race to you, do some demos, take you out on their summer training cart (which the dogs pull) and then introduce you to the puppies. The area, well outside of town, was GORGEOUS! It was really a fun time. As long as you know what to expect (you're not actually dog sledding -- you need snow & ice for that) it's a great excursion. People really loved it.

Thank you! This really does look like it will be a "just right" excursion for us.Whoops! I was just looking through my photos, and realized I did this excursion out of Skagway, not Juneau. But I'm sure they run all of them pretty similarly!

Sayhello

NancyIL
01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi,
I would really like to step foot on the Mendehall Glacier but I am worried about the helicopter and motion sickness. I get motion sickness and my husband gets it worse then me. Is there a boat that can take you out to the glacier? Also for the whale watching tours, I see that they say 2 or 3 hours for whale watching, again I am worried about motion sickness, has anyone been on them? Thanks!

There are no boats to the glacier. You can take a shuttle bus (for ~ $15 pp roundtrip) from near where the ship docks to Mendenhall Glacier to view it on land from across the lake. You can't step foot on it unless you land on it by plane/helicopter, or hike to it from a different area than where the shuttle buses drop you off.

I have gone on several wildlife boat tours, including a whale watch in Juneau on a 6-passenger boat. If you are sensitive to motion sickness, take meds!

smeecanada
01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
How can you tell whether you have the 12:10pm or 1:40pm dock time in Ketchikan? Is there a list by cruise somewhere? We are on the August 2-9 cruise.

Check the itinerary on your reservation at Disneycruise.com.

Pooh667
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
There are no boats to the glacier. You can take a shuttle bus (for ~ $15 pp roundtrip) from near where the ship docks to Mendenhall Glacier to view it on land from across the lake. You can't step foot on it unless you land on it by plane/helicopter, or hike to it from a different area than where the shuttle buses drop you off.

I have gone on several wildlife boat tours, including a whale watch in Juneau on a 6-passenger boat. If you are sensitive to motion sickness, take meds!

Hi,
Thanks for the info! I will be looking into remedies for motion sickness.

V4dice
01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Already posted this on another thread but we loved the tour so much I wanted to add it here too. We did an Alaskan cruise with a large family group this summer and everyone agreed that the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan was our favorite tour. The crew was awesome and we were very lucky with the wildlife too (we even saw whales). I would highly recommend this trip!

Here are some pictures from the tour
http://favoritealaskatour.shutterfly.com

Have a great time in Alaska everyone!

Petals & Pixie Dust
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Already posted this on another thread but we loved the tour so much I wanted to add it here too. We did an Alaskan cruise with a large family group this summer and everyone agreed that the Bering Sea Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan was our favorite tour. The crew was awesome and we were very lucky with the wildlife too (we even saw whales). I would highly recommend this trip!

Have a great time in Alaska everyone!

WOW! Your pictures are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

SanDiegoSteph
01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Check the itinerary on your reservation at Disneycruise.com.
My itinerary on disneycruise.com just has ** as the ashore time for Ketchikan...hmmmm

SanDiegoSteph
01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Ahhh...thanks!

Looks like we have a 1:30pm ashore time for 8/7 (bummer)

...Interestingly, the other August ashore times for Ketchikan (7/31; 8/14; 8/28) look like they are 11:00am not 12:10pm like Disney posted

sayhello
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Have a great time in Alaska everyone!Wow! Wonderful shots! Looks like you really got your money's worth on that new camera!

Sayhello

smb6
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
FYI: They added several more excursions in all three ports.....

mellers
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Some of these seem terribly overpriced. I looked at the "All Aboard Steam Train" excursion, and effectively, it's just the White Pass Yukon Route Summit excursion, with a private guide and a sparkling cider toast, a Christmas ornament, and an extra 1/4 mile of railroad time going to and from the dock. Given that the regular excursion is $112, and Disney's is $214--that seems a bit much. I can buy a lot of sparkling cider and Christmas ornaments for $100 apiece!

Also, Disney won't take wheelchairs, but I know that the White Pass Yukon Route does for the Summit Excursion. It seems like, whether or not the places themselves take wheelchairs, Disney will say that they don't. I don't like that. They did that in San Francisco, too--I've been in the Wax Museum, and I've been to the Aquarium of the Bay, and I've never had a problem with my wheelchair.

[I was wrong about this--it's the Fraser Meadows excursion--still about $55 cheaper, though, to book it through the White Pass]

PE_TCR
01-04-2011, 03:13 PM
We're doing our own--not only is it more cost-effective, I am in a mobility scooter, and a lot of the shore excursions were not accessible.

We're planning to take the round-trip excursion to the summit on the White Pass railroad in Skagway:

(Adults, $112, Kids $56) It has wheelchair lifts, and the station is only about 1/4 mile from the dock.

and in Ketchikan, we plan to take the Ketchikan Duck Tour (have to be able to board, but they will store wheelchairs):

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/index.php ($1.50 for adults, $1.00 for kids 6-18, free for under 6) Busses are wheelchair accessible.

to the Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure (have to be able to board the tram, but accessibility seems to be a priority):

if the weather's nice. If it's not, we plan to walk over to the Alaska State Museum: http://www.museums.state.ak.us/asm/asmhome.html (Adults $5, Kids under 18 are free)

All of the glaciers have blue ice. This is just highly compacted ice. The glacier itself is actually the river of ice. So any excursion you go on will have blue ice for you to see. The more compact the ice is the deeper blue the ice becomes. I went to the glaciers in Juneau and loved it. Have fun! We are going on the Aug 2 cruise and can't wait.

smb6
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Some of these seem terribly overpriced. I looked at the "All Aboard Steam Train" excursion, and effectively, it's just the White Pass Yukon Route Summit excursion, with a private guide and a sparkling cider toast, a Christmas ornament, and an extra 1/4 mile of railroad time going to and from the dock. Given that the regular excursion is $112, and Disney's is $214--that seems a bit much. I can buy a lot of sparkling cider and Christmas ornaments for $100 apiece!

Also, Disney won't take wheelchairs, but I know that the White Pass Yukon Route does for the Summit Excursion. It seems like, whether or not the places themselves take wheelchairs, Disney will say that they don't. I don't like that. They did that in San Francisco, too--I've been in the Wax Museum, and I've been to the Aquarium of the Bay, and I've never had a problem with my wheelchair.

I agree that some of the excursions are over priced- especially to 10-12 year olds! With that said, this particular excursion is a steam train- it's different and is also charged differently/more if booked independently because it is an actual steam train.

Now, did you read the one on the regular train with enhanced youth activity!?!?! The activity is eye spy and sing alongs!! Give me a break! :rotfl: No offense to anyone that is looking to book this; but I could not help but think I could just save my $$ and play a game of eye spy with my kid rather than paying extra for it; LOL. Maybe I could even charge to play eye spy and do sing alongs with other peoples kids and make some $$:rotfl::rotfl: Sorry, this one just really cracked me up!

mellers
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree that some of the excursions are over priced- especially to 10-12 year olds! With that said, this particular excursion is a steam train- it's different and is also charged differently/more if booked independently because it is an actual steam train.

Now, did you read the one on the regular train with enhanced youth activity!?!?! The activity is eye spy and sing alongs!! Give me a break! :rotfl: No offense to anyone that is looking to book this; but I could not help but think I could just save my $$ and play a game of eye spy with my kid rather than paying extra for it; LOL. Maybe I could even charge to play eye spy and do sing alongs with other peoples kids and make some $$:rotfl::rotfl: Sorry, this one just really cracked me up!
The steam engine is nice, true--and that is a difference--assuming they don't just run it as their usual train with a special car for the Disney Cruise Line (I'm kind of suspicious this is what will happen, but I could be wrong).

(I noticed the whole I Spy and Sing-along thing too--you're right, that's just crazy!)

mellers
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM

I was wrong--you're absolutely right, it's not the summit excursion, it's the Fraser Meadows excursion on the White Pass--it's this one:

http://www.wpyr.com/frasermeadows.html

No guide, cider, dock access (you have to go to the station), or Christmas tree ornament, but otherwise, it's the same trip--the Disney picture even shows the "White Pass" on the train, but about $55 less expensive.

mellers
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Actually, the markup on this one isn't too bad:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/skagway-alaska/white-pass-scenic-railway/

It's only about $10 more than booking it yourself, and walking (or rolling) over to the station:

and they do mention the wheelchair lift--I'm really glad to see that.

sayhello
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Actually, the markup on this one isn't too bad:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/skagway-alaska/white-pass-scenic-railway/

It's only about $10 more than booking it yourself, and walking (or rolling) over to the station:

and they do mention the wheelchair lift--I'm really glad to see that.So they have a wheelchair lift at the station? That kind of explains what Disney's doing, but I don't know that I think they've handled it well. All excursions booked through the cruiselines board right at the dock. And there's no lift at the dock. What they *should* do, is provide a van to take any wheelchair-bound folks to the station to board for their excursions, not just say "no wheelchairs". But for whatever reason, they've chosen not to do that. I think that's silly. But at least you *can* do it if you make your own way to the station and just book through them.

Sayhello

tanyaewa
01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
where do I find the list of excursions?

smb6
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
where do I find the list of excursions?

Go under cruise and destinations; and then under port adventures. Then just click on the cities you want to view...

tanyaewa
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
on the DCL site?

smb6
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
on the DCL site?

yep.

Petals & Pixie Dust
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok this might be off the topic...but other than gold is there anything else Alaska is known for--gems or other stones????

mellers
01-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Oil. and Sarah Palin ;)

sayhello
01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Ok this might be off the topic...but other than gold is there anything else Alaska is known for--gems or other stones????Not a particular stone, but Alaska is known for the "Whale's Tail" necklace. You're supposed to buy one to commemorate seeing a whale.

http://www.thefind.com/jewelry/info-whale-tail-necklace#page=1&filter[sortby]=price_desc

Sayhello

NancyIL
01-05-2011, 08:47 AM

I think you've made some very good choices. I've been to Juneau 3 times, and I still haven't been to Glacier Gardens or the Alaska State Museum. I intend to see both on my HAL cruise in August, and I plan to rent a car with Rent A Wreck so I can also drive to the Shrine of St. Therese and Mendenhall Glacier.

mellers
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I think you've made some very good choices. I've been to Juneau 3 times, and I still haven't been to Glacier Gardens or the Alaska State Museum. I intend to see both on my HAL cruise in August, and I plan to rent a car with Rent A Wreck so I can also drive to the Shrine of St. Therese and Mendenhall Glacier.
That's good to know--this is our first cruise, and we checked out some books, but overall, we're kind of "winging it".

NancyIL
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
That's good to know--this is our first cruise, and we checked out some books, but overall, we're kind of "winging it".

The fact that you're reading some books is more than many have done. Lots of people wait until the excursions are listed before they think about what they might do. The idea of doing an excursion independently of the cruise line seems foreign to some.

lilpooh108
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
So they have a wheelchair lift at the station? That kind of explains what Disney's doing, but I don't know that I think they've handled it well. All excursions booked through the cruiselines board right at the dock. And there's no lift at the dock. What they *should* do, is provide a van to take any wheelchair-bound folks to the station to board for their excursions, not just say "no wheelchairs". But for whatever reason, they've chosen not to do that. I think that's silly. But at least you *can* do it if you make your own way to the station and just book through them.

Sayhello

How far is it from the Cruise dock to the Rail station if you book the White Pass Rail independently? Is it walkable?

mellers
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
How far is it from the Cruise dock to the Rail station if you book the White Pass Rail independently? Is it walkable?
The quotes for the distance that I have seen range from 1/4 miles to 3/4 miles--even in my wheelchair, I figure I should be able to do that. Supposedly, there's also a shuttle bus you can take for $1-$1.50 from the cruise dock if you don't want to walk.

sayhello
01-05-2011, 10:07 PM
How far is it from the Cruise dock to the Rail station if you book the White Pass Rail independently? Is it walkable?I don't recall the exact distance -- it really depends on which dock you are at, also -- but it's definitely walkable. I walked easily from "downtown" to the port, and the train station is between the two.

Sayhello

LKFan
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Look at this map of Skagway. It shows the train tracks with respect to the docks. The distance from the ship depends on which dock you will be at.

http://skagway.com/citymap.html

SanDiegoSteph
01-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I would call and ask.... On one hand I could see them being flexible if the age requirement is set by Disney. But if the age requirement is set by the independent vendors- it may be set in stone.....

Okay, so I got word back from Disney...

"The safety of your family while experiencing the Ports of Call is our
first priority. Port adventure (shore excursion) age limits have been
established for the safety and security of our Guests. These
restrictions have been carefully considered and cannot be modified or
altered in any way."

So, bottom line - even though my DS will be turning 5 in just 4 days after the port adventure is to take place, he can't go! :confused3 Next stop, checking in with the actual tour operator if I can't figure out who they are - we'll see I guess

Petals & Pixie Dust
01-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Not a particular stone, but Alaska is known for the "Whale's Tail" necklace. You're supposed to buy one to commemorate seeing a whale.

http://www.thefind.com/jewelry/info-whale-tail-necklace#page=1&filter[sortby]=price_desc

Sayhello

I find this slightly ironic...The first ever...and only...whale watch i went on I did not see a whale...AT ALL...it was a terrible trip (It was in Maine...not alaska) So, if the only way I get one of these is if I see a whale...well..I find it kind of comical...I guess you have to know the whole story...which is way off topic for this post...but very funny!!! :rotfl2: Needless to say, I will not be doing any excursion that will have me watching for whales...but if I see one sailing the ocean blue...well that might be another story...

smb6
01-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Okay, so I got word back from Disney...

"The safety of your family while experiencing the Ports of Call is our
first priority. Port adventure (shore excursion) age limits have been
established for the safety and security of our Guests. These
restrictions have been carefully considered and cannot be modified or
altered in any way."

So, bottom line - even though my DS will be turning 5 in just 4 days after the port adventure is to take place, he can't go! :confused3 Next stop, checking in with the actual tour operator if I can't figure out who they are - we'll see I guess

Which excursion are you looking to do? I've been researching a lot of independent tours, maybe I'll happen to know the one your looking at.....

jackieinJuneau
01-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Hello all!! I have been a lurker on the boards I read but haven't felt like I have a lot to add until now... I live in Juneau Alaska and have done most of the tourist stuff in southeast. I do not work in the tourist industry, I work for a women’s shelter, but in the summers I volunteer for the visitor’s center. The information booths around town are manned by us local volunteers who want to share our beautiful city with visitors. So after having said that I have read over this posting and am going to reply it will be long just FYI.

1-Helicopters and float planes- Both are great, if you want to land on a glacier you need to book a helicopter. If you want to do a tour but not land save the money and take a float plane. You will see the same things for less money and without the same weight restrictions. All of the helicopter companies have the weight restriction because it is the law in Alaska for them to watch their weight closely. Helicopters are canceled due to weather more often then float planes. If taking a helicopter ride is "the must do" of your trip book it for the first port you can, then if you get weathered out you can rebook at the next port. I personally like the float planes because I feel like it is a more Alaskan experience, we locals travel in float planes when we have to get to some of the more remote areas, so it is a more authentic experience in my point of view. Imagine if a float plane was the only why in or out of your town? That is true for some places in southeast!

2-Transportation- Okay book a tour rent a car take the city bus? I really depends on what you want to do. I will say that if you want to rent a car do so in advance the car rental places have small fleets and get booked up quickly on busy port days. In Juneau I would suggest Rent a Wreck rentawreck.com juneau.htm yeah I know it seems strange but they have won awards for being the best car rental in the area and are the only car rental that will come in to down town and pick you up. The public bus in Juneau is very full in the summer and not designed as a sightseeing tour. If you are going somewhere and coast is your biggest issue then use the bus its $1.50 but it spends more time in neighborhoods and going to Wal Mart than anything else. Two places people typically take the public bus are the Alaskan Brewery and Glacier Gardens these two are walking distance from bus stops so they are good choices for bus goers. If you are disabled and taking the bus, be mindful of the fact that the places you are going to be dropped off are graveled, grassy or muddy often.

3-Tours-I don't know what booking on board is like but most people find that they can save money by booking on their own. Now you can decide what things you want to do but I wanted to point out some of the things no one has been talking about as well as some hidden gems. Zip line tours we have two here both on Douglas island, that is across the channel from Juneau, alaskazip.com and alaskacanopy.com both are really fun have decent pricing and some really cute shirts in their shops that you can't get if you don't zip. This is good for anyone who is adventurous and I haven't seen any postings about it, you have to weigh at least 90 lbs and not more then 275. Hidden gem that gets over looked if is the Juneau steamboat tour, juneausteamboat.com you can buy a combo ticket at the tram that is both a tram ticket and a steamboat ticket. When I was working the visitor information both a couple wanted to book this tour and used the information phone to call him, they asked when the next sailing was and he asked them when they wanted to go and he did a special sailing just for them. It is a great tour around the channel the guide is funny; this is a historical tour and totally affordable. One more over looked tour company is Juneau Jeep Adventures juneaujeep.com if you want to feel like your favorite friend is showing you around their hometown this is the tour for you, small groups only, on nice days they take the tops of the jeeps. This company goes where few others go to places like the shrine and out the road. If you are looking for quite and to get away from crowds this is a great tour, also it is totally customizable they will take you where you want to go as well as having some preplanned trips. Those are the Juneau companies that I feel get over looked, but there are many many more, too many for me to list.

4-Animals- So you want to see and eagle, I always tell people to look up, it’s true they like to hang out on lamp posts. Once I watched and eagle sit on a crane for at least an hour from the info booth and not one tourist noticed it because they where to focused on trying to figure out where they were going. Whales, you will most likely see whales from your cruise ship, if you book a whale watching tour you will see whales. All the whale tours have a "see a whale or get your money back" policy. Southeast AK is one of the only places in the world humpback whales bubble feed, it is rare to see but really cool. Salmon run starting in July you won't see much of them before that. Bear you can book a float trip over to Admiralty Island, goalaskatours.com it has the highest population of brown bears per square mile of anywhere in the world. In Juneau and the rest of southeast it is black bear, they get very where down town in the neighborhoods, but you are most likely to see them out at the glacier or hiking. Do not bring food to the glacier, you are only allowed to bring water because bears like human food. Once a guy spilled his coffee out at the glacier and a black bear showed up to lick it up and the rangers could not scare it off until it was done. Go to YouTube and search Juneau Bear and you will get lost of videos. Also the ravens are great some of them say words, others make the cross walk sound and some make the boop boop I just locked my car doors sound, along with their natural popping and clicking sounds. If you hear something really strange and can't figure out what it is, its a raven and they are huge.

5-Weather- It hopefully will not snow, it will most likely rain, and the chances of it being more then 60 are low. Dress in layers, save you nice clothing for on ship, Alaska is casual. Get or bring a rain jacket, only tourists use umbrellas and wear shoes you are okay with getting wet and or dirty. If you come in May you can ride the tram up to the snow line and play in the snow, as the summer goes on the hike from the tram to the snow gets longer and longer. Don't forget this is a rainforest!

6-Little things- Free hiking trail maps at the visitor information booths, flat rate shipping boxes are your friend. Yes your cell phone should work up here. In fact if you have an iphone yelp and go walla are both useful apps in Southeast. Yes you are in the USA we only take American money and yes we get asked that all the time. The trash cans are bear proof that’s why they look strange you have to put your hand in the raised slot and push the trigger. Locals like to sit around and watch people try to figure them out. The Red dog is a tourist trap, a nice one that is good for kids! But the Alaskan bar has just as much atmosphere and is a good place to sit and have a beer like a local. Horses are not common because of the climate the wet weather makes it hard to keep horses here or so my friend that has horses says.

7-Food- I know on the ship you have all the food you want but many people still like to eat at local places. We have two Salmon bakes and they are both great and are sometimes booked as part of a tour. Down town I have one tip Tracy's Crab Shack, the locals love it. It is just a little, well it would be a food cart or food truck but it is right next to the library/parking garage along with a few other tiny shops, near the Glacier Smoothie soap shop. kingcrabshack.com The crab bisque is to die for the crab roll is great the buckets of crab well you get the idea if you have some crazy people that don’t like crab there is a crepe station right next door with non sea food items.

I am sure as soon as I post this many more things will pop into my head.
I hope this is helpful!
This is a link to the Juneau Visitors and Convention Bureau, it lists all of the tour providers in Juneau long with a ton more information, plus they will send you a good old fashion paper planning kit. traveljuneau.com

Mineu
01-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Wow-great tips-thanks!!!

BamaBornNemoNut
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
:goodvibes

Anyone have advise/info on the population of insects at the ports during the month of July?? I haven't read anything up to this point, so I'm hoping that's a good sign that I can leave my insect repelant at home. ;)

jackieinJuneau
01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Bugs in July depend on the weather, if we get sun for a couple of days more bugs come out, you don't get too many out by the glaicer because there is always a breaze, out on the water is okay. But hiking or up on the tram I would have bug spray. Bug wise it is worse in Michigan where I used to live.

mellers
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you especially for the info about the bus stops--I'm in a mobility scooter that won't take gravel well, so that's good to know.

sayhello
01-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow, jackieinJuneau, that's some fabulous info from a local! Thanks! I really like that thing about Alaska being part of America & only taking American dollars. Someone asked me about that when I was up there year before last! I couldn't believe it, but I guess a lot of people just don't know! :confused3

Sayhello

PURTYPAT1
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Hello all!! I have been a lurker on the boards I read but haven't felt like I have a lot to add until now... I live in Juneau Alaska and have done most of the tourist stuff in southeast. I do not work in the tourist industry, I work for a women’s shelter, but in the summers I volunteer for the visitor’s center. The information booths around town are manned by us local volunteers who want to share our beautiful city with visitors. So after having said that I have read over this posting and am going to reply it will be long just FYI.

I am sure as soon as I post this many more things will pop into my head.
I hope this is helpful!
This is a link to the Juneau Visitors and Convention Bureau, it lists all of the tour providers in Juneau long with a ton more information, plus they will send you a good old fashion paper planning kit. traveljuneau.com

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Thank you so much jackieinJuneau for all of the great info

SanDiegoSteph
01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Which excursion are you looking to do? I've been researching a lot of independent tours, maybe I'll happen to know the one your looking at.....

There are a couple we were considering...

Evening Wildlife Expedition in Skagway
Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure in Skagway
Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan
Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour in Ketchikan

Totem, Lumberjack Show & Potlach Park with Exclusive Youth Activity in Ketchikan
Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for the Day in Juneau
(obviously no equivalent for these out there :sad2:)

Thanks for any insight you might have as to who the real tour operators are so we might be able to contact them about the exception for our DS!

smb6
01-09-2011, 06:37 PM
There are a couple we were considering...

Evening Wildlife Expedition in Skagway
Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure in Skagway
Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan
Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour in Ketchikan

Totem, Lumberjack Show & Potlach Park with Exclusive Youth Activity in Ketchikan
Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for the Day in Juneau
(obviously no equivalent for these out there :sad2:)

Thanks for any insight you might have as to who the real tour operators are so we might be able to contact them about the exception for our DS!

http://www.islandwings.com/

The only one of those that I have come across so far is bear expedition- This expedition is suppose to be great! She actually has some tours where two paying adults can bring a child under 5 for free:)- so your son being under 5 might be great for this.... She has bear sightseeing excursions that are suppose to be great! We are doing a flight seeing excursion with her! I'd LOVE to do a bear excursion, but they are seasonal and we go in May before they start...

You can book the bering sea crab exc direct, but I don't have that link off hand- you could google.... Dog sledding via helicopter is offered for younger ages with TEMPSO and COASTAL. Again, you can google for the website if interested.... Hope that helps a little...

sbaird
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Wow, this thread is very helpful. I have never been to Alaska and can't wait to see it, BUT have know Idea what to see or even what to bring in regards to clothing.

I know we should dress very casual in layers, but with the weight restrictions for airlines, how much do you pack? Jeans weight so much. What about shoes, what kind and if it rains, I am guessing we should bring more than one pair. More dead weight.

So any ideas? Are you all packing light and the washing on board?

I am traveling with my extended family, about 22 of us, we all booked vans for Skagway. Not sure what else we are doing yet. I have a LOT of reading and planning to do, :lmao:

smb6
01-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Wow, this thread is very helpful. I have never been to Alaska and can't wait to see it, BUT have know Idea what to see or even what to bring in regards to clothing.

I know we should dress very casual in layers, but with the weight restrictions for airlines, how much do you pack? Jeans weight so much. What about shoes, what kind and if it rains, I am guessing we should bring more than one pair. More dead weight.

I am traveling with my extended family, about 22 of us, we all booked vans for Skagway. Not sure what else we are doing yet. I have a LOT of reading and planning to do, :lmao:

We are a party of 7- I am *hoping* to do carry-on only.... But with all the layering clothes we need, I'm not 100% it will happen:laughing:! But I'm planning to take enough clothes for half the trip and hit up the laundry room a few times.....

mellers
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM

If you want to try to buy some of your clothing there, there is a shopping centre a short distance from the airport (Lansdowne), which has a Zellers (think Target) with inexpensive clothes.

We're planning to pack three polo shirts, three pairs of slacks or jeans, 1 polar fleece sweatshirt, a jacket liner (usually, a polar fleece jacket) and a waterproof jacket for each person. We'll also probably take warm gloves. The jackets have hoods, so we're not packing warm hats. We're also going to take one nice outfit, and one nice pair of shoes, and otherwise, we'll wear our usual sturdy walking shoes. We also figured we would take one pair of warm pajamas and one pair of cool pajamas--the warm pajamas can double as long underwear if it gets really cold. We're also taking swimsuits, in case the weather in Vancouver makes swimming a possibility. I think that will cover any weather.

(I probably should add--we live outside Seattle, and our sturdy shoes are waterproof--always)

We're also planning to do laundry on the ship, so if you're not, you may need to bring more.

smeecanada
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
If you want to try to buy some of your clothing there, there is a shopping centre a short distance from the airport (Lansdowne), which has a Zellers (think Target) with inexpensive clothes.

Lansdowne is off the beaten path for most cruisers, especially if they are staying downtown near the Port.

We'll also probably take warm gloves. Good idea to bring gloves. It was freezing cold in Tracy Arm Fjord in mid August of 2009. RCL was selling hot chocolate, so that gives you an idea how cold it was. We're from the Westcoast as well. We had 1 pair of jeans, fleece jackets and a waterproof jacket with us. Wore jeans off the ship each time. It will be cool up in Alaska, but not necessarily in Vancouver, so you'll still want to pack some shorts. .

mellers
01-09-2011, 09:01 PM
You make a good point--Lansdowne is quite a ways from the port. I was more thinking about those who are staying near the airport, or who need public transit (I'm in a wheelchair and can't drive, so anything on the SkyTrain is always a plus).

soonerfan2008
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
We just sailed to Alaska in September. A good bet for a day ashore is thick socks, jeans, long sleeved shirt, fleece jacket or vest and light rain jacket. We also packed hats and gloves to carry ashore. Some days, we stripped off outer layers down to the long shirt, some days we kept it all on.

We are light packers, and I felt like we overpacked for the 7 day cruise. This time I am packing 4 prs. pants, 6 long sleeved shirts, 1 sweatshirt, 1 fleece jacket, 1 rain jacket and other outer wear. Of course, I'll pack other things for dinner in the evenings, but that is it for daywear.

For our kids, I am a huge fan of fleece separates. We live in WA, and they are great for cold, wet weather. Our kids wore (day in Alaska), leggings (on days below 50), fleece pants, short sleeve shirt (because they don't like the bunching), fleece shirt, heavy rain jacket, hat and gloves. Fleece repels water, so it makes for great rainy weather wear. I also packed rain pants for our girls because we intended to be out in the weather even if it rained a lot. We are used to it!

soonerfan2008
01-09-2011, 11:31 PM
We just sailed to Alaska in September. A good bet for a day ashore is thick socks, jeans, long sleeved shirt, fleece jacket or vest and light rain jacket. We also packed hats and gloves to carry ashore. Some days, we stripped off outer layers down to the long shirt, some days we kept it all on.

We are light packers, and I felt like we overpacked for the 7 day cruise. This time I am packing 4 prs. pants, 6 long sleeved shirts, 1 sweatshirt, 1 fleece jacket, 1 rain jacket and other outer wear. Of course, I'll pack other things for dinner in the evenings, but that is it for daywear.

For our kids, I am a huge fan of fleece separates. We live in WA, and they are great for cold, wet weather. Our kids wore (day in Alaska), leggings (on days below 50), fleece pants, short sleeve shirt (because they don't like the bunching), fleece shirt, heavy rain jacket, hat and gloves. Fleece repels water, so it makes for great rainy weather wear. I also packed rain pants for our girls because we intended to be out in the weather even if it rained a lot. We are used to it!

kandt
01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
http://www.islandwings.com/

The only one of those that I have come across so far is bear expedition- This expedition is suppose to be great! She actually has some tours where two paying adults can bring a child under 5 for free:)- so your son being under 5 might be great for this.... She has bear sightseeing excursions that are suppose to be great! We are doing a flight seeing excursion with her! I'd LOVE to do a bear excursion, but they are seasonal and we go in May before they start....

We have booked the Misty Fjords Tour with Island Wings for August. I've read good things about the tour on Cruise Critic. My 4 year old will be free and my 6 year is charged a child's rate that is about $30 cheaper than the adult rate. Good Luck!

NWmom
01-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Someone asked what do you think of when you go to Alaska? So here is what we think of
Skagway-
gold rush, gold panning, Yukon Pass, Jack London book set here, sled dogs

Juneau- whales and nature Mendenhall glacier

Ketchikan- totem poles, lumberjacks

And for those that are stopping off in Seattle there is a Seattle unit of the Klondike National Park combine that with the Underground Tour and it ties in very nicely before heading to Alaska. Once in Skagway there is the Klondike National Park as well. (and it is free thanks to our taxes)

jackieinJuneau
01-14-2011, 06:44 AM
So my suggestions I am a fan of the type of cargo pants that detach or roll up so they can become shorts/capri pants. Fleece is also good and a rain jacket. For shoes, I wear crocs. Not the big ugly ones ( sorry if you wear the big ugly ones) I like them because they are comfy and water proof. I wear the trail break shoe for hiking. Hooded sweatshirts are a good option that most locals wear. Depending on what you find cold you may want to include gloves, I like the ones with the finger tips cut off, a hat and or a scarf. All the stores sell these things but they will be marked up of course. A hat will keep you warm, ear muffs or a head band will keep your ears warm but not help with over all body temp.