PDA

View Full Version : 1st time DCL - 5/7 night Caribbean or 7 night Med

Hillbeans
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
We're DVC owners but have never taken a Disney Cruise - and we're looking to take our first cruise in August of 2012 with our kids who will be 11 and 7 then. We have a few different options of sailings at this time of year but I just wonder if we should take a "regular" cruise out of Port Canaveral to experience a more traditional Disney Cruise including Castaway Cay or try the Mediterranean cruise. Any opinions or suggestions?

Edited to add i've never been to the Caribbean or Spain/Italy, so either of the spots would be a new experience if that helps :)

Hillbeans
12-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Bumping :goodvibes

mkmommy
12-28-2010, 07:05 AM
For a first cruise I would go Bahamas/Caribbean, as there is more time to relax and enjoy the whole cruise. European cruises are very heavy on the ports and there is not lots of time to enjoy the pools, kids club and so on.

bbn1122
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I 2nd the caribbean cruise. I would do the 5 day. Kids just want to have fun and a double stop a CC is the way to go. We cruised first and then joined DVC. We are going on our 2nd cruise next year. I hope we are able to do one every other year for the next 6 years, while my DSs still want to vacation with me.
Enjoy!;)

jakespop
12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
We are in a similar situation. DVC owners, 1st time cruisers.
Our kids are of similar age so we are starting out with the Bahamas or caribbean out of Port Canaveral. they are still young enough & I think Castaway Cay would be awesome.

Hillbeans
12-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the comments, they make a lot of sense! I am leaning toward the 5 night cruise with a Double-Dip on CC. :goodvibes

Donna M
12-28-2010, 08:18 PM
CC was the highlight of our trip. I love being on a beach and having the ship to go back to made it all the more enjoyable.

pixie08
12-28-2010, 08:26 PM
For a first cruise I would go Bahamas/Caribbean, as there is more time to relax and enjoy the whole cruise. European cruises are very heavy on the ports and there is not lots of time to enjoy the pools, kids club and so on.

I agree!

Plus I just do not think 7 days is enough for a Med cruise (to justify the flight) unless you are going to tag a land thing on. We did the 10 night last year, and added a few days in Paris and still felt like we needed more time.