PDA

View Full Version : How packed are the ships during holiday season?

Disneyhenry
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I am thinking of booking next year for Christmas week, just wondering how packed the ships are cuz I know the parks are pretty full that time of year?
Anyone ever gone during Christmas? If so please share your experience with me
~Thanks~

kcashner
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
The ships nearly always sail full, whether at the holidays or not. If they are not booked full, DCL will offer special rates to travel agents, cast members, Florida residents, military, etc. in order to fill them. Thus, DCL plans on the full ship. There are many activities to spread people out, and it doesn't feel crowded.

The issue isn't that it is more full, but only how quickly it fills and at what price.

kathi
12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I agree with the prior poster about all the cabins being full each cruise. I will say that of the three cruises we were on this year, the Easter cruise was WAY WAY more packed with kids than our late August and after-Thanksgiving cruises. I think during school holidays you just get more kids on the ship.

kcashner
12-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh yes, the population changes. In the fall you get a lot of pre-schoolers. On President's Week (when many schools have off), you get a lot of high school/middle school kids. The CM in The Stack told us that she had 5 pages of names on President's Week while the week before she had less than a full page. Any week that many schools are not in session will be high on older kids. And if you are unlucky enough to have already booked a cruise on a week when they later announce a "kids sale free" deal, well, God bless us every one.

How full it "feels" can depend on the ages of your gang compared to the main ages on the ship. It is true that there is a max in each age group, but that doesn't eliminate the age flux at all. If my kid is 12 years old, I really don't see or feel the large number of 3-5 year old kids who might be sailing--we are in different places doing different things. If I am sailing as a group of 2 adults, it is even less obvious. And if the kids are rowdy and unsupervised, they are a lot more obvious than if the parents are still parenting!