PDA

View Full Version : Transatlantic Cruises

Jonjo
12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
DW and I are thinking of booking a Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic. Not sure yet on either a Eastbound or Westbound trip.

Has anyone been on the 14 day Transatlantic cruise and if so were there enough things to do on board to keep you occupied for six days at sea?

heatherb819
12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
We are currently booked on the EBTA cruise for May 14 and this is our first TA but there are several on our M&G board who have done a TA before you may want to ask on our M&G board also...
From what I gather, there is plenty to do but I'm sure they can fill you in with much more detail.

Happy Cruising! Maybe we'll see you onboard with us!

woody73
12-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Has anyone been on the 14 day Transatlantic cruise and if so were there enough things to do on board to keep you occupied for six days at sea?
Yes, there's plenty to do. The trouble is trying to fit it all in.

Woody

MandyGirl
12-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Woody

That's what everyone on the WBTA's have said as well! :)

kcashner
12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I did the TA cruises both ways in 2010 and am booked again in 2011. Yes, I'm an addict.

There is plenty to do and lots of time to relax. In addition to the stuff that DCL schedules, our DIS group had several things planned. It is THE best cruise ever!

dolphingirl47
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
There was almost too much to do between what DCL organized and what we did as a DIS group and I had a blast. I am in the process of finishing off my trip report for the WBTA, which is linked under "Transatlantic Adventure" in my signature.

Corinna

acourtwdw
12-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Woody

There was almost too much to do between what DCL organized and what we did as a DIS group and I had a blast. I am in the process of finishing off my trip report for the WBTA, which is linked under "Transatlantic Adventure" in my signature.

Corinna

I agree with the above posts. We did the WBTA and the days were packed with things to do. I actually skipped some of the DIS meets cuz I just needed to relax :)

inkkognito
12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I absolutely loved the transatlantic. We brought the Magic home to FL, and I was amazed at how quickly the six sea days went by. There is as much or as little to do as you want. We had plenty of activities to choose from, but I also liked the fact that I could just laze around and watch the ocean go by and not feel like there was anything else I "had" to do. I was actually a bit sad when we made it to Castaway Cay.

KrisannB
12-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Woody

Woody you said it all! We are actually thinking of doing the EBTA again in 2011.

We did both the WBTA and EBTA in 2010 and did not run out of things to do - wish we had more sea days to fit it all in like woody said.

Krisann

tink,too
12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
We enjoyed the WBTA so much last year, that we would definately do another. :thumbsup2

Both our DD and I could have done another 6 days at sea without missing land at all. :goodvibes

kplatt
12-28-2010, 11:32 AM
This is my #1 all time great tip --

If you cruise EAST to WEST (i.e. Barcelona to Port Canaveral) you will GAIN an hour each time you cross a time zone...

Of course, you lose those hours when you travel to Europe to begin with, but gaining them back on a cruise ship beats all!!

Didn't think about this when we booked our WB Transatlantic a few years ago. Now I'm convinced that all the problems of the world could be solved if we had 25-hour days!!

eblong
12-28-2010, 02:02 PM
We were on the WBTA on the Magic this year, and it was the most relaxing time of my life. We were busy with the events they had to do: 2 Tequila tastings; 2 wine tastings; daily cooking seminars with the Executive Chef for Hollywood Studios and Epcot. We also had time to read and watch the flying fish alongside the ship. My wife saw dolphins once, but I missed them, and then spent the rest of our days at sea looking for them. The ports of call were good, but the days at sea were the best.

Relaxing? Totally!
Boring? Never!

Do it again? You bet - but first: Panama next week; the Dream in June; and the Fantasy MV Mar 31, 2012. Who knows, there may be time in there for another TA:woohoo:. That would be fantastic.

Can't wait to cruise
12-31-2010, 07:45 PM
We did the eastbound in May 07 and had a fantastic time. As much or as little as you want to do on the sea days. We loved it so much we've booked the EBTA again for May 2011. Starting to count down the days. Highly recommend. We looked at the westbound but don't like the weather risks with the wb being in peak Atlantic hurricane season. Hasn't been a problem with the previous two wb cruises so who knows?

ludari
12-31-2010, 08:47 PM
I enjoyed the TA westbound cruise on the Magic in September 2010. It was a fantastic cruise with plenty to do and of course the wonderful Disney staff. I would recommend that you do the westbound cruise instead of the eastbound because of the time changes almost daily. On the westbound cruise you will gain an hour but on the eastbound cruise you lose an hour almost every day.

Jonjo
01-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone one, I think it will be a westbound cruise for us.

mr.b
01-01-2011, 04:39 PM
We were on the April 2010 Eastbound transatlantic cruise. There was plenty to do. We were fortunate to have a retired gentleman, Captain Puckett who gave several excellent lectures. This man has done just about everything at sea, and was never boring. We learned about ship's navigation, the running of the ship, piracy- both past and present, and about the various ports of call that we were heading to in Portugal, Spain and Gibraltar. It was the best thing we ever did in attending his lectures.

We also attended 2 lectures by Don 'Ducky' Williams, who is a Disney treasure that can never be replaced. There was also an imagineer who lectured, and was extremely interesting as well. We found time to see a movie or two, attend cooking classes and just enjoy relaxing in the various lounges.You'll find lots to do. Hope you select a cruise and have a great time.:thumbsup2

Happy Goofy
01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
We did the Eastbound and loved every minute. Between the DCL and the Disboard activities we did not have a spare minute. We did the BTB and continued on the Mediterranean. It was 23 days on that wonderful ship. I kept a daily Journal of it. Will have it on the Panama cruise leaving Jan 6 if anyone is interested in reading it.

Swaan
01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I would LOVE to do the transatlantic one day (WB for sure!!), but my DH is leary of the weather and rough seas for 6 straight days at sea.

Any input on your experiences would be great to calm him down a bit!!

thanks.

drparoo
01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd give anything to do a transatlantic, but it's never a time when we can be gone for that long.

tinkerone
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
anyone know how full these sailings get? is it usually a full ship?

clten
01-01-2011, 09:05 PM

I've done 3 TA's with DCL and none of them were crowded. These sailings usually have a lot fewer kids than normal so even if the cabins are full, there are a lot fewer people sailing. But the adult areas can be a little more crowded than usual but we've had a great time every time!

As far as weather, it's really a hard thing to predict. But this year's WBTA there were several big storms in the Atlantic or forming in the Atlantic while we were out there and we didn't have all that many rough sea days. The WBTA the time before when DCL did it, the water was like glass!

dolphingirl47
01-02-2011, 05:34 AM

On the WBTA last year, all the cabins were taken, but we were quoted an occupancy of 1800 and I think 200 (might have been 300) kids. So the ship did feel empty at times. It was particularly noticeable in the dining room.

Corinna

shaylahc1
01-02-2011, 09:30 AM
We did the Eastbound and loved every minute. Between the DCL and the Disboard activities we did not have a spare minute. We did the BTB and continued on the Mediterranean. It was 23 days on that wonderful ship. I kept a daily Journal of it. Will have it on the Panama cruise leaving Jan 6 if anyone is interested in reading it.
This is what we did, too, and it was fantastic. I thought the TA was the most relaxing vacation, ever.

NancyIL
01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
On the WBTA last year, all the cabins were taken, but we were quoted an occupancy of 1800 and I think 200 (might have been 300) kids. So the ship did feel empty at times. It was particularly noticeable in the dining room.

Corinna

I was on a Royal Caribbean Transatlantic cruise last month, and the cruise director said there were 25 kids onboard. That's my kind of cruise! :teeth:

dolphingirl47
01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I was on a Royal Caribbean Transatlantic cruise last month, and the cruise director said there were 25 kids onboard. That's my kind of cruise! :teeth:

Wow, that is low. Even with the number that we had on out Transatlantic the absence of kids was very noticeable.

Corinna

woody73
01-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I was on a Royal Caribbean Transatlantic cruise last month, and the cruise director said there were 25 kids onboard.
Now that would be a relaxing cruise.

Woody

NancyIL
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Wow, that is low. Even with the number that we had on out Transatlantic the absence of kids was very noticeable.

Corinna

There were ~ 3000 passengers total on my cruise. The cruise dates were Nov. 28-Dec. 12, so I didn't expect to see many kids onboard.

NancyIL
01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Now that would be a relaxing cruise.

Woody

There were 6 sea days in a row at the end, and it was very relaxing.