PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Dress on Plane

Lou Lou
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Hello everyone and happy holidays

I am getting married at Cypress Grove next August and have rang our airline (Virgin) to ask whether i can take my wedding dress on to the plane with me and have it hung up somewhere out the way as a friend of mine had this done for her when she married abroad

I was told that it would depend on the check in staff at the airport on the day of travel, however, this is no good as if the dress has to go in the hold then i need to get it boxed up etc rather than just bring it in the dress bag

I dont know what to do and wondered if anyone had any advice? The dress is not massive or heavy, would i have to pay excess baggage to check it in?

Any help would be great, thanks

2011bride
12-26-2010, 10:11 PM
If at all possible I would take your carry on bag as your dress. This is what I am doing if we are going to fly. That way it is with me the entire time! Good luck!

ConniegB
12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I agree with 2011 Bride, I would use it as my carry on, I've seen plenty of women carrying their wedding dress with them on the flights, but it all depends on your carrier. Best of luck, I hope it all works out! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding/marriage! princess:

Lou Lou
12-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone, I am reluctant to be parted from it, knowing my luck it will end up in a different country if I checked it in! Will just have to take the risk and go to the airport with it in the bag rather than a box x

tinkerbell 766
12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
There are many companies who make boxes which fit into the overhead lockers of the plane. Just google 'Wedding dress boxes for hand baggage' or something similar. I intend to buy one to pack my dress in, as I will then be able to keep it with me at all times!!!! I am flying Virgin too.

Petals & Pixie Dust
12-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I was able to get mine into our carry on and brought it with me...best way to go...I knew where it was and then carolyn allen steamed it...perfect!

torsie24
12-30-2010, 04:29 AM
My dress is pretty huge and heavy, and we are flying Viring.

I managed to get a wheeled bag that is carry on size which I can squeeze the dress into! :)

I'm getting it steamed on the morning of the wedding, so I don't mind it getting a bit rumpled if it means it can be with me for the journey. :)