PDA

View Full Version : Complicated Rebook Onboard Questions

Meghatron
12-26-2010, 02:58 AM
We booked three staterooms, under three different reservations (one for each family branch), on the MV of the Fantasy with a travel agent. Since the MV has now moved, we are unable to go and have postponed the family vacation to 2013. However, my husband and I are taking our daughter on the Cruise to Nowhere in January and would like to use the onboard booking to our advantage.

I am still waiting to hear from my family about who wants their full deposit back, etc. Since our current reservations on the frozen 4/7/12 cruise are booked with a TA, will that prevent the onboard booking agent from easily applying the deposits we've already paid to a new, later booking? I would much rather transfer the money within DCL's system to a new reservation than wait for it to show up on my credit card and risk that not happening before January 21st.

Also, will we be able to make changes to our family's reservations if they are linked but not in our name? And if I book the three new staterooms all in one reservation, does the $200 OBC apply per reservation ($200 total) or per stateroom ($600 total)? What personal information do I need from my family members in order to make the reservations onboard -- just legal names and birthdays, or will I need passport numbers, too?

aseyrick
12-26-2010, 07:03 AM
I'll try to have a crack at this ...

Since our current reservations on the frozen 4/7/12 cruise are booked with a TA, will that prevent the onboard booking agent from easily applying the deposits we've already paid to a new, later booking?
A - Once your reservations are turned over to a TA, DCL won't be able to do anything. You will need to go back to your TA, who should be able to apply the deposits you've already paid to a new, later booking. Your other option is to cancel your reservations completely w/ your TA and start over; however, if your reservations were previously made w/ onboard booking discounts, those discounts will disappear.

I would much rather transfer the money within DCL's system to a new reservation than wait for it to show up on my credit card and risk that not happening before January 21st.
A - Once you transfer your ressies to a TA, it cannot be transferred back to DCL. However, once you cancel your ressies w/ the TA, you should see your credit card be reimbursed w/in 48 hours.

Also, will we be able to make changes to our family's reservations if they are linked but not in our name?
A - No, you will not be able to make changes unless the ressies are in your name. However, if your family's ressies are still w/ DCL, you'll just need to have your family's login ID/password, reservation # and the birthdate of the individual whom the ressie was made under to access/change it via DCL website.

And if I book the three new staterooms all in one reservation, does the $200 OBC apply per reservation ($200 total) or per stateroom ($600 total)?
A - You would have had to book all 3 staterooms while you were onboard to get that $200 obc per stateroom.

What personal information do I need from my family members in order to make the reservations onboard -- just legal names and birthdays, or will I need passport numbers, too?
A - Legal names & birthdays only. You can add the passport info later.

Misc - For onboard booking ... to minimize your cost, esp. if you don't know your sailing dates yet, book the cheapest, 3-night cruise far enough out in advance, with each ressie under just 1 person's name, so your initial deposit is minimized. You can always change your reservation dates & add more names to each reservation in the future.

Hope this helps!

kcashner
12-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Another option...

It is true that if your reservation is held by a travel agent, DCL will not be able to access it on board and flip things for you. This must go thru your TA. However, you can rebook on board (even if it is the same cruise date), and when you get home contact your TA with your new reservation number and have them "reconcile" the reservations. They can keep the cabin/dinner you selected, etc. They can apply your previous deposit as a payment to the new cruise or have it refunded to you.

EACH cabin is a separate reservation. Even though you view your family trip as one reservation, DCL sees it as 3, with 3 separate reservation numbers. You will get the onboard credit and discount on each cabin you book while on board. The discount will apply to those people who are named at the time of the rebooking and deposit paid. What I mean is that if you rebook on board and pay a deposit for 2 in a cabin (intending to add kids later), you won't get the 10% off on the 3rd or 4th persons. Also, there may not be room on the ship/lifeboat station/age group to add later.

You will not be able to make changes to another person's reservation. However, you can make a reservation in their name. You will be asked for name, date of birth, address. Yes, the passport info can be added later. You can put it on your credit card or use one of theirs.

What I did when I made a reservation for a friend to sail with us--booked it with my credit card. When we got to Key West, I called them with the reservation number. They called the TA I had named and had it switched to their credit card before I was even back in Florida. This way, the charge and credit showed up on my card within 48 hours of each other--I never paid anything for them.

I agree with PP about a dummy reservation, except you don't need to book the cheapest 3 night you can find. The deposit is the same for any 3 or 4 night cruise. I make mine as far out as they are booking, avoiding holiday cruises. That gives me as much time as possible to make my decisions.

aseyrick
12-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Kcash - are you certain about the deposit on the 3 or 4 night cruise? When we booked onboard, the DCL TA told us that it's 10% of the sailing, not a flat deposit. I believe that just changed.

kcashner
12-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Kcash - are you certain about the deposit on the 3 or 4 night cruise? When we booked onboard, the DCL TA told us that it's 10% of the sailing, not a flat deposit. I believe that just changed.

You are right...I keep forgetting. On our last rebooking, the deposit was actually less than the "old" way. It is 10% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket (not including the government fees and taxes).