PDA

View Full Version : Port excursions

narsibvl
12-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Here is a question...

are you guys happy with the amount of time you had on port days ? It feels like you don't really do justice to visiting the ports. Of course my experience stems from just the lone 4 days cruise we took...but I can't imagine one day 8:00 AM to 5:00 pm does justice to visiting a place. Are there iternaries where the ship is docked for more then a day ?

Pluto,
12-25-2010, 05:32 PM
i have been on 7 cruises on dcl allof them differnt cruises eastern,bahamas, trans atlantic, panama, med, and 2 differnt special western cruises. out of all of them there is only a couple of places that i would of liked to spend more time there
1. aruba
2. a couple places on the med cruise

so to answer your question the only cruise they have coming up is san fransico where you spend more than one day. on the baltic cruise they had russia.

rcchello
12-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Cruises are mainly for sampling ports, not really visiting them. Most people don't even sample the food in the port or just go to the local Hard Rock Cafe so they can get the t-shirt.

I only remember seeing a couple of cruise listings where they stayed in a port overnight and I don't think they were Disney.

Pluto,
12-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Cruises are mainly for sampling ports, not really visiting them. Most people don't even sample the food in the port or just go to the local Hard Rock Cafe so they can get the t-shirt.

I only remember seeing a couple of cruise listings where they stayed in a port overnight and I don't think they were Disney.

yes dcl does san fransico than when they did the baltic russia

kcashner
12-25-2010, 06:14 PM
If you do a trans-Atlantic Eastbound, you have a bit over a day in Barcelona.

Reality, no, you can't do justice to any major city in one day. You get a day in places that I chose to spend a week on a previous trip. And if you are talking about Europe, many of the cities you want to visit are not ports, so you can add a bus or train ride to get there and back. However, you have the advantage of keeping your "floating hotel" and avoiding a lot of hassle that way.

mesaboy2
12-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Cruises are mainly for sampling ports, not really visiting them.

This.