PDA

View Full Version : Has weather ever caused you to "miss the boat"?


niklynn1
12-24-2010, 07:08 PM
We're supposed to be headed to FL early Wed for our cruise. We've had quite a bit of Christmas Eve snow here (7 inches), so I've been watching the news a lot today. It's supposed to clear out for tomorrow and be nice in the early part of next week. But, now the weather guys on 2 different stations have started mentioning a "beast of a storm" due to arrive approximately Wed-Thurs.:scared1:

I know the extended forecast for 5 days out can still change, but I now have a pit in my stomach worrying about how this will impact our flights our of here and being able to make it to FL. We're flying in the day before, but I heard the weather guy say it looks like it could be a 4-5 state wide storm. If that's the case it could snarl air traffic for days.

Has anyone ever missed the ship because you couldn't get there due to weather? We do have insurance and our flights are not arranged through Disney. We've been counting down the days for SO LONG. I just can't stand the thought that we might miss it.:sad2:

Hygiene99
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
We're supposed to be headed to FL early Wed for our cruise. We've had quite a bit of Christmas Eve snow here (7 inches), so I've been watching the news a lot today. It's supposed to clear out for tomorrow and be nice in the early part of next week. But, now the weather guys on 2 different stations have started mentioning a "beast of a storm" due to arrive approximately Wed-Thurs.:scared1:

I know the extended forecast for 5 days out can still change, but I now have a pit in my stomach worrying about how this will impact our flights our of here and being able to make it to FL. We're flying in the day before, but I heard the weather guy say it looks like it could be a 4-5 state wide storm. If that's the case it could snarl air traffic for days.

Has anyone ever missed the ship because you couldn't get there due to weather? We do have insurance and our flights are not arranged through Disney. We've been counting down the days for SO LONG. I just can't stand the thought that we might miss it.:sad2:

Start Driving! ;)

inkkognito
12-24-2010, 07:32 PM
I never had it happen due to snow, although there were a couple close calls when we lived in Chicago. We did have a mess a couple of years due to hurricanes. Twice the ship left out of Fort Lauderdale instead of Port Canaveral so we did a one way car rental and just drove down.

Good luck on making the ship!

bigedwin
12-24-2010, 07:57 PM
We're supposed to be headed to FL early Wed for our cruise. We've had quite a bit of Christmas Eve snow here (7 inches), so I've been watching the news a lot today. It's supposed to clear out for tomorrow and be nice in the early part of next week. But, now the weather guys on 2 different stations have started mentioning a "beast of a storm" due to arrive approximately Wed-Thurs.:scared1:

I know the extended forecast for 5 days out can still change, but I now have a pit in my stomach worrying about how this will impact our flights our of here and being able to make it to FL. We're flying in the day before, but I heard the weather guy say it looks like it could be a 4-5 state wide storm. If that's the case it could snarl air traffic for days.

Has anyone ever missed the ship because you couldn't get there due to weather? We do have insurance and our flights are not arranged through Disney. We've been counting down the days for SO LONG. I just can't stand the thought that we might miss it.:sad2:


We had this happened to us in the past but Continental Airlines Knowing there was a storm on the way waived the change fees.
We were able to move to a flight one day earlier and we all left .
We were glad because the airport was closed the next morning for about 6 hours.
We would have missed our flight and possibly our cruise.
So maybe if storm is more imminent check with your Airline if they lift the penalties for change leave!!!!.
Better to spend an extra 100 bucks in hotel than to miss the boat.
Good Luck.
:santa:

kcashner
12-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I didn't miss the ship, but I had a 7 night cruise turn into 4 1/2 days due to hurricane Jeane. We spent the extra days locked in a hotel room at WDW.

My thoughts...call the airlines, see if they are waiving change fees. If so, try to fly out ASAP. I agree with the others that several days at a hotel in Florida beats missing the ship! We usually manage to get Priceline rooms in the MCO area. At the 2.5* level they all have complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and complimentary breakfast; the hotels all have a fitness center, pool, and clean bed! What more do you need? The highest bid I've ever had to do was $39, lowest was $29. Even at $39, with taxes and fees that is less than $50 per night for the hotel and breakfast. Not too shabby. Places we've been assigned included the Hyatt Place (not Hyatt MCO), 2 different Amerisuites (one nicer than the other, but so what?), etc.

SO, step one, get to Florida as soon as you can. Step 2, find a place to stay till your cruise on Thursday...but you already have a place for Wed.....

Driving is a possibility, but the entire midwest is getting snow now and it's only supposed to get worse. Not a pretty drive!

lucky1
12-24-2010, 09:24 PM
We're supposed to be headed to FL early Wed for our cruise. We've had quite a bit of Christmas Eve snow here (7 inches), so I've been watching the news a lot today. It's supposed to clear out for tomorrow and be nice in the early part of next week. But, now the weather guys on 2 different stations have started mentioning a "beast of a storm" due to arrive approximately Wed-Thurs.:scared1:

I know the extended forecast for 5 days out can still change, but I now have a pit in my stomach worrying about how this will impact our flights our of here and being able to make it to FL. We're flying in the day before, but I heard the weather guy say it looks like it could be a 4-5 state wide storm. If that's the case it could snarl air traffic for days.

Has anyone ever missed the ship because you couldn't get there due to weather? We do have insurance and our flights are not arranged through Disney. We've been counting down the days for SO LONG. I just can't stand the thought that we might miss it.:sad2:

Oh No, If you can leave any earlier then watch the weather forecasts and check with the airline. Most of the time they will try to accommodate and wave the change fee, if weather is the cause.

If the weather men there are anything like ours here in the southwest, then they can be wrong often, even with all their computer models.

niklynn1
12-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh No, If you can leave any earlier then watch the weather forecasts and check with the airline. Most of the time they will try to accommodate and wave the change fee, if weather is the cause.

If the weather men there are anything like ours here in the southwest, then they can be wrong often, even with all their computer models.

I am checking the 10 day forecast frequently. Right now, it is still showing rain/freezing rain/snow for Thursday/Friday. So, if it doesn't speed up and get here sooner, we should be okay flying out Wednesday, which is what I am praying for. We have a 6 a.m. flight out of Des Moines and then a layover in Chicago, so we need the weather to hold out for BOTH cities long enough to get us out of here.

We already have Wednesday night booked for Hyatt MCO, so if it comes to that I'll have to see what else to book. Spending 2 whole days in the airport hotel doesn't sound too exciting. :-)

MinnesotaMouseketeers
12-25-2010, 09:32 AM
........We have a 6 a.m. flight out of Des Moines and then a layover in Chicago, so we need the weather to hold out for BOTH cities long enough to get us out of here. ...........

This is why I pay extra to fly non-stop on the way down. Just have to worry about MN weather, and Orlando's also I suppose. And we have already had a few weather events here this winter that has shut down several runways to the entire airport for several hours.

rcchello
12-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Last year a big storm was coming into out area, but luckily we were driving, just had to check with the dog sitter to see if shne could take the dogs early and we set out a day early. Never saw as many accidents on the NJ turnpike in my life.

Glad I had an extra day and did not have to rush!!

In the past we had to dodge hurricanes on the way down but those were not for cruises.

Good Luck.

kcashner
12-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Your problem is not just the weather on your flight day; it is what might have happened to the planes you are supposed to get on. The plane has to get to Chicago for you to board it, no matter what the Chicago weather does.

No, spending a couple days in a hotel doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but you'd have a pool...some of the hotels have free shuttles to places you might want to visit.

Good luck!

familyfun5
12-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Good luck. :thumbsup2 We are to leave Friday from Denver and I fear problems. However, our cruise leaves on Monday and this is precisely why I fly in a couple days early in the winter months.

If you have a day buffer you should be fine. Though, you may spend some time in the airport.;)