PDA

View Full Version : DDP, can we subsitute dessert for an appetizer?

puente0629
12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi,

My hubby and I will be heading to Disney in Jan. and we will be using the DDP...the last time we used it the DDP included appetizers. So, we were wondering if I do not want dessert can I substitute it for an appetizer(if the prices are comparable)? Has anyone done this or asked if it's possible? I figured I would ask here first before actually calling them.

Thanks!:thumbsup2

vicki_c
12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
No you cannot. That is one of the rules and they don't bend on it. Only dessert.

Tanbellisima
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
No you cannot. That is one of the rules and they don't bend on it. Only dessert.

What about veggies. Say you want salad or carrots? Does it have to be fruit or something sweet?

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas

http://i31.piczo.com/view/3/1/9/1/b/x/7/h/g/m/f/l/img/t239233864_64184_2.gif

Nadjalu
12-23-2010, 06:06 PM
You cannot substitute dessert for anything. There are usually a "fruit" or healthier (yogurt) option to use, but other than that, there is nothing.

If you wish for the healthier option you can ask your server what that is, but they won't let you just "choose" anything.

Sorry, this is one of the most strict of the rules concerning DDP.

Tanbellisima
12-23-2010, 06:10 PM
You cannot substitute dessert for anything. There are usually a "fruit" or healthier (yogurt) option to use, but other than that, there is nothing.

If you wish for the healthier option you can ask your server what that is, but they won't let you just "choose" anything.

Thanks. I always get dessert but I have had this question from friends planning trips right now. I know I have subbed out dessert out cs for grapes and carrots like once back in 2008 at Typhoon Lagoon. Because I love DWD desserts I haven't had the experience of asking a CM for table service.

Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas
http://i14.piczo.com/view/4/s/j/m/u/9/e/2/e/5/p/t/img/t357802822_54080_6.gif

puente0629
12-23-2010, 08:31 PM

I was reading from top to bottom the Dining Plan and it doesn't say that you cannot substitute, where is everyong getting their info, from experience?:confused3 I really don't see why they won't let us because if there's a dessert that is $7.99 and an appetizer for the same price, disney won't be losing any money.

moepanz
12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I was reading from top to bottom the Dining Plan and it doesn't say that you cannot substitute, where is everyong getting their info, from experience?:confused3 I really don't see why they won't let us because if there's a dessert that is $7.99 and an appetizer for the same price, disney won't be losing any money.

You cannot substitute an app for dessert. That has always been our experience, and trust me there are no exceptions, but I did learn on our past trip (12/10-12/16) that if you have any quick service meals left you can get 3 snacks in lieu of the meal.

Eeyore's Pal
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM

The rule is part of the psychology of the DDP. Everyone orders an appetizer if it is part of the plan because it's at the beginning of the meal and everyone is hungry. So if the plan was appetizer + entree, everyone gets what they pay for and Disney doesn't save anything.

OTOH, if the DDP offers entree + dessert, people eat their entree and are often to full to order the dessert or (as we are) just not accustommed to eating their dessert right after dinner so they decline. The guest paid for entree + dessert, but didn't eat dessert, so Disney wins.

And there is the extra bonus to Disney when a guest on the DDP orders an appetizer OOP and maybe still skips the dessert.

The Marketing people who changed up the DDP from its original configuration to the current entree + dessert probably won an award.

Nadjalu
12-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Sorry it is buried under tons of info, but here is a quote in the sticky thread (which I will link you to that gives you all the info you need about the dining plans)

Iím on the regular plan that doesnít include appetizers. Can I get an appetizer in place of my dessert?
Reports are that substituting an appetizer for a dessert on the regular dining plan is not permitted under any circumstances. Disney restaurants usually offer a substitution of items such as fruit, sorbet, and sugar-free dessert selections to accommodate the health-conscious or medical conditions.

That post is #5 on the sticky thread posted by mod. Tricia1972

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2353648

No matter how close in price, Disney has figured that it is a better deal for them to offer dessert instead of appetizers.
Belive me, this is a rule that isn't bent.

TDC Nala
12-23-2010, 10:22 PM
You can get a substitute of fruit or maybe even chips at CS. Not at TS. Ask about an alternate dessert at a TS, they may have fruit or a sugar-free or no sugar added alternative. They will not allow you to get an appetizer instead. No exceptions, not even for medical conditions. The entire time since 2008 when they changed up the dining plans, I have seen two persons post about switching an appetizer for dessert; one was "somebody told me they did it" and the other post was probably a pot-stirrer. Has nothing to do with price. They want to turn the tables faster on the most popular plan. If they allow substitution of appetizer for dessert, half the party will get appetizers, the other half dessert, and they'll share.

mossyflossy
12-24-2010, 05:35 AM

The plan lists the inclusions, and the regular plan quite clearly includes entree and dessert, so anything over and above that you will need to pay for.

That said, some signature places allow you to order a cheese plate as a dessert and be aware that some places on DDP still include all 3 courses on the set meals:

Chefs
Le Cellier
Captains Grille (dinner)
Kona (dinner)

Mama Melrose and Hollywood Brown Derby Fantasmic! packages.

There may be more: that's just what I remember.

n2mm
12-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Yep, most of us have asked and told no. I think alot of us would do it if we could. It would be great to split an appetizer and split a desert, but that would add more time to our dining. I often just get the desert boxed up and my DH will eat it later in the room. We seldom add the DDP now, but still do on one of our trips a year.

kaytieeldr
12-25-2010, 03:03 AM
The rule is part of the psychology of the DDP. Everyone orders an appetizer if it is part of the plan because it's at the beginning of the meal and everyone is hungry. So if the plan was appetizer + entree, everyone gets what they pay for and Disney doesn't save anything.

OTOH, if the DDP offers entree + dessert, people eat their entree and are often to full to order the dessert or (as we are) just not accustommed to eating their dessert right after dinner so they decline. The guest paid for entree + dessert, but didn't eat dessert, so Disney wins.

And there is the extra bonus to Disney when a guest on the DDP orders an appetizer OOP and maybe still skips the dessert.

The Marketing people who changed up the DDP from its original configuration to the current entree + dessert probably won an award.

I'm not sure it's psychology so much as physiology/biology - but the premise is right :teeth:. Many - but not most - people probably would be too full after an entree to order dessert; on the other hand, many would order it just because it's 'included'. As for not eating dessert right after the meal, well, then it's not dessert by definition.

I'd think the Marketing people had zero to do with changing the Dining Plan. That would be Finance. I'd actually give kudos to Marketing for maintaining interest in the drastically altered Dining Plan!!!

quirty30
12-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Also keep in mind that while the prices of desserts at WDW might be comparable to some of the appetizers, its a pretty safe bet that the cost to make the desserts is less. I think there's a very good reason that just about every WDW TS restaurant has a variation of creme brulee on the menu. It's very inexpensive to make...its essentially milk, eggs, sugar, flavoring & garnish.

kaytieeldr
12-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Sure, quirty30; and often you save money on prep time with desserts as well. Take cake, for example. You can bake several cakes in advance for, figure, $10 each. If you get 16 slices out of each cake at $6 each and all you have to do at serving time is garnish the plate and place the cake on it... ;)

scrmomkt
12-28-2010, 10:43 PM
So did I read this correctly- my 3-9 yo gets an appetizer, but the rest of us dont- so that must be included in the kids menu- an appetizer.
what about ordering the "package" deal like at chefs de france where its app/entree/dessert- a you pick three kind of menu- can we do that or are we not allowed?

vicki_c
12-28-2010, 10:47 PM
So did I read this correctly- my 3-9 yo gets an appetizer, but the rest of us dont- so that must be included in the kids menu- an appetizer.
what about ordering the "package" deal like at chefs de france where its app/entree/dessert- a you pick three kind of menu- can we do that or are we not allowed?

Child's appetizers are not like a regular appetizer. They are usually a small cup of soup or carrot sticks - whatever is on the children's menu. As for things like the prix fixe menu at Chefs, you can order whatever things are normally allowed for that choice - so appetizer, entree & dessert, for example.

aubriee
12-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Child's appetizers are not like a regular appetizer. They are usually a small cup of soup or carrot sticks - whatever is on the children's menu. As for things like the prix fixe menu at Chefs, you can order whatever things are normally allowed for that choice - so appetizer, entree & dessert, for example.

With the prix fixe menus they allow absolutely no substitutions from what's on that list though. If you look they are normally the cheapest appetizers, entrees, and desserts. If what you would normally order is on that list it's a good deal, but otherwise it's not. For example at Le Cellier I always order the tomato stack, duck, or mussels for my appetizer, filet or strip steak for my entreee, and chocolate whiskey cake or cobbler for dessert. None of them are on the prix fixe menu. At Chef's de France I always get the charcuteries board, cheese plate, or a flat bread for an appetizer then either the duck or beef tenderloin for an entree. Again none of those are on the prix fix menu (only the cheaper menu items).

NMW
12-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Yes, but the kids appetizers are nothing like adults apps. At pretty much every restaurant the choices are chicken noodle soup (it is the same EXACT soup property wide) or carrots/celrey and ranch. Trust me, that's it. My DD liked the soup, but after the 3rd or 4th restuarant, she was sick of it. DH, both my sons, and I all got adult apps (on the Deluxe Dining Plan) so she always had plenty to share with us.

Only at Raglan Road, which does not have kids apps, was my DD allowed to order an app from the adult menu. Now, we were on the deluxe dining plan, so we all got apps, so I'm not sure if that mattered. Maybe if we were on the basic plan she would not have gotten one. I'm not sure.

TDC Nala
12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
If you're on the basic plan and the restaurant does not offer children's appetizers, I have heard both ways about the child ordering an appetizer off the adult menu - but most of the responses I have seen say that the child does not get any appetizer in that situation.