PDA

View Full Version : Alaska and Pacific Coast Excursions

jlwhitney
12-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Looks like they are beginning to be posted...

So far 5 excursions for San Fransico are up...

Lets hope they are all up by they end of the day for all 5 ports!

dizneyfan23
12-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Looks like they are beginning to be posted...

So far 5 excursions for San Fransico are up...

Lets hope they are all up by they end of the day for all 5 ports!

There's 9 up for San Fran now......keep 'em coming Disney:thumbsup2

Pluto,
12-23-2010, 03:31 PM
now its 10 for san fran

disdel
12-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Hope they start heading north - nothing for any Alaskan ports yet!

jlwhitney
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Victoria is posted! Only 3 more to go (the 3 I am interested...lol)

smb6
12-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Where are yall seeing this? I just went on their website and I don't see excursion for SF or Victoria..... I went under ports of call and then under port excursions and seen the same old paragrah saying "when they become available... ect, ect..."

edited to add: NEVERMIND- found it!

mmmears
12-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Victoria is posted! Only 3 more to go (the 3 I am interested...lol)

Same here. I sure do hope they post them today. :flower3:

ibouncetoo
12-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Bummer...only 2 hours at the Disney Museum!

Pluto,
12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
does anyone know if dcl is going to offer excursions on both days they are in san fran?

DL1957
12-23-2010, 07:31 PM

We are going to do the Disney museum on our own the cost to get in is $20.00 per person and it will not cost much to get out there even by cab but i am researching the light rail which I believe goes out there. More to follow. Sue

TheTexasKid
12-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Maybe its only two hours, but I know what I'll be doing in San Francisco. And I'm glad to see the excursions already posted, as I wan't expecting them to be posted till next month in January.

disneymath
12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Where are yall seeing this? I just went on their website and I don't see excursion for SF or Victoria..... I went under ports of call and then under port excursions and seen the same old paragrah saying "when they become available... ect, ect..."

edited to add: NEVERMIND- found it!

I'm in the same boat ... except I still haven't found them!

mmmears
12-23-2010, 08:07 PM

You can really get alot out of 2 hours at the Disney Museum. We went soon after it first opened and spent almost 2 hours there and felt that we saw it all. Hope that helps. :goodvibes

Also, a ticket there has a time on it, so they only let in a certain amount of people at a time. It didn't feel crowded at all when we were there. Definitely worth your time if you want to see more of the early works and learn about the life of Walt Disney.

mmmears
12-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Looks like they only added in the WC itinerary today. I hope we don't have to wait much longer for the Alaskan port adventures. :sad2:

jlwhitney
12-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks like they only added in the WC itinerary today. I hope we don't have to wait much longer for the Alaskan port adventures. :sad2:

I hear ya, though I have a feeling they may not be up till next week since the REPO cruise got them like 4 days before booking. But maybe they will come up very soon.

smb6
12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm in the same boat ... except I still haven't found them!

When I clicked on ports of call and the port excursions- it still wasn't showing... But when I went under cruises and destinations and then directyl to port adventures- it shows the excursions for those ports.....

I hear ya, though I have a feeling they may not be up till next week since the REPO cruise got them like 4 days before booking. But maybe they will come up very soon.

The Alaska excursions are the ones I'm dying for also.... Someone said they were suppose to be out January 5th? But when they listed these, I was hoping they would go ahead and post Alaska! I really thought they would have been out by now.....

disneymath
12-23-2010, 11:59 PM
When I clicked on ports of call and the port excursions- it still wasn't showing... But when I went under cruises and destinations and then directyl to port adventures- it shows the excursions for those ports.....

Thanks! I found them now! :thumbsup2

Janell
12-24-2010, 12:50 AM
We went to the Disney Family Museum this past year. You can see most of it in two hours. There is a lot of reading, so if you read slower(like me) it will take longer.

MagicalPins
12-24-2010, 02:06 AM
You can really get alot out of 2 hours at the Disney Museum. We went soon after it first opened and spent almost 2 hours there and felt that we saw it all. Hope that helps. :goodvibes

When I went, I spent around 5 hours and could have spent much longer but they closed. Next time, Im getting there earlier!

Robin"D"
12-24-2010, 10:14 AM
now its 10 for san fran

I don't see any of San Fran Excursions....please guide me in the right direction....:confused3

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

Pluto,
12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't see any of San Fran Excursions....please guide me in the right direction....:confused3

go to cruises and destinations than port adventures

Robin"D"
12-24-2010, 10:39 AM
go to cruises and destinations than port adventures

NICE!!!
Thx

justmestace
12-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Having been to San Francisco numerous times (one of my all-time favorite places) I'd book anything I wanted to do on my own, online, as far in advance as possible. You can easily do the museum on your own, and also Alcatraz...which is a "not to be missed" excursion. Alcatraz books up early, so the best thing is to buy tickets online for the time you want. The night time trip to Alcatraz is awesome!
I'd spend the rest of the time just exploring the Wharf area, or I'd book (online) the Duck Tour. It's a fabulous way to see all the sights in one tour.

Robin"D"
12-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Having been to San Francisco numerous times (one of my all-time favorite places) I'd book anything I wanted to do on my own, online, as far in advance as possible. You can easily do the museum on your own, and also Alcatraz...which is a "not to be missed" excursion. Alcatraz books up early, so the best thing is to buy tickets online for the time you want. The night time trip to Alcatraz is awesome!
I'd spend the rest of the time just exploring the Wharf area, or I'd book (online) the Duck Tour. It's a fabulous way to see all the sights in one tour.

Question: From the dock, how far is the Presidio? can we get there by cable car, or other puplic trans that won't break us? We have been into San Fran before on a cruise, love the area, we have done excruisions on our own as well, even have Alcatraz already booked (on line) @ night!
Looking forward to this trip!

justmestace
12-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Question: From the dock, how far is the Presidio? can we get there by cable car, or other puplic trans that won't break us? We have been into San Fran before on a cruise, love the area, we have done excruisions on our own as well, even have Alcatraz already booked (on line) @ night!

I'd have to look online to see if the cable car goes there...for some reason, my memory is telling me that it doesn't.
We took a taxi there this summer and the cost wasn't bad....I just can't remember exactly how much. Must be I have Christmas brain drain!

I just looked online to double check, and no, the cable cars don't go to the Presidio.

You will LOVE the night time excursion to Alcatraz. They let you go upstairs to see the medical areas, which they don't do during the day and it's so cool!!

stitchy626
12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
When I went, I spent around 5 hours and could have spent much longer but they closed. Next time, Im getting there earlier!

Same situation for me. 5 hours wasn't nearly enough. I can't wait to go back and see the rest.

remlap
12-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I just saw they want $129 per person for the Disney family museum. I'm not going on the cruise, but please don't pay this. I think admission was $20.00 and you could catch a cab for less than $20.00 each way. If you're worried, buy tickets in advance and pay a small service charge. I just showed up and they took my $$. Perhaps with DCL in port, you might book in advance.

LKFan
12-25-2010, 11:13 AM

There isn't public transport (BART or Cable Car) to the Presidio. Your best bet is either taking a cab or maybe a bus. Look into the Muni Passport as an option that allows you to ride both the busses as well as the cable cars. http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

You might also look into City Pass http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco for other attractions.

LKFan
12-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I just saw they want $129 per person for the Disney family museum. I'm not going on the cruise, but please don't pay this. I think admission was $20.00 and you could catch a cab for less than $20.00 each way. If you're worried, buy tickets in advance and pay a small service charge. I just showed up and they took my $$. Perhaps with DCL in port, you might book in advance.

Agreed. San Francisco is such a user friendly city and you are better off getting advice from locals and doing it on your own.

Robin"D"
12-25-2010, 01:18 PM

The Walt Disney Family Museum is not the only stop, it is just two hours of this excursion. You do much more:

On this tour you will:
Board an air-conditioned motor coach for an approximate 20-minute fully narrated scenic drive along the Embarcadero and toward the Presidio.
Arrive at the Walt Disney Family Museum and discover the amazing life and journey of the founder of our company during this approximate 2-hour visit. The Museum is composed of two buildings, so ensure to dedicate time to both the main museum building and the Riley Building during your free time to explore. Galleries, special exhibits and unique artifacts make this visit a special one to Disney fans of all ages. Note: The Museum is dedicated to the life of Walt Disney himself and may not be appealing for children under 10 years of age.
Re-board your motor coach and continue for an approximate 15-minute photo stop at Twin Peaks. With incredible panoramic views, Twin Peaks sits at almost the geographic center of the city of San Francisco. With a height of 922 feet, Twin Peaks has 2 summits used for both residences and television and radio transmission towers. Atop the summit is a reservoir holding 14 million gallons of water for San Francisco hotels and homes. Many birds also enjoy Twin Peaks views.
Next, continue your scenic drive to the Golden Gate Park, past the de Young Fine Arts Museum and Gardens. Your motor coach will make a brief stop near Cliff House on the Pacific coast.
Continue past the Palace of Legion of Honor, travel along the coastal road to the Golden Gate Bridge where you'll have an approximate 30-minute photo stop. Note: The Golden Gate Bridge is often shrouded in fog.
From there, drive past the Cannery, Ghirardelli Square and the lively Fisherman's Wharf area before returning to the pier.

Hope this helps...Besides being from the DCL maybe a little extra will be for us @ the Walt Disney Family Museum !!!

Robin & Agel "D" :thumbsup2

Merry Christmas

justmestace
12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I would still lean toward taking a cab to the museum and then a walking tour (on your own) of the wharf area, which includes the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square.
Other than the museum, the rest of that ship tour is not very impressive.

Or...as I'd said.....if you don't want to walk around and see all that, you can reserve tickets for the Duck Tour, and that will show you all those sights (except the museum) and China Town and the Giants ball park.

Bruins
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
There is public transportation to the Presidio: from the NPS Presidio website:

<<<Public Transportation
San Francisco Municipal Railway (MUNI) buses serve the Presidio via the 28 (to Golden Gate Plaza), 29 (from Sunset to Baker Beach), and 43 (to Letterman area) lines and other lines terminate near the Presidio's Lombard Gate.

The Presidio Trust provides free PresidioGo shuttle service within the Presidio and to nearby public transit stops. Visitors can also ride the shuttle between downtown San Francisco and the Presidio on weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
>>>

Bruins
12-25-2010, 05:53 PM
There are tours of AT&T Park:

<<<It's the ballpark where home runs can be "splash hits" and the breathtaking Bay views rival the action on the field. It's where one of baseball's most hallowed franchises plays inside an architectural landmark.

On your behind-the-scenes ballpark tour of AT&T Park you will get to go places only the players and staff go including:

The Field Warning Track
The Dugouts
Indoor Batting Cages
The Visitors' Clubhouse
The Press Box
A Luxury Suite
Public Tours
Available EVERY DAY at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm rain or shine, except when day games are scheduled at AT&T Park.

Great for Adults and Kids, San Francisco tourist, Giants fans and baseball fanatics.
All tour stops are subject to change depending upon team schedule and area availability.
Due to possible post-season activity, there may be changes to the October schedule.
Tours depart from the Giants Dugout Store at AT&T Park and last approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
For up to date tour information please call 415.972.2400>>>

LKFan
12-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Another great stop for the entire family is the California Academy of Science museum in Golden Gate Park. http://www.calacademy.org/. It has an aquarium, four story rainforest, planetarium, etc. Young kids would enjoy it as well as adults.

justmestace
12-25-2010, 07:48 PM
There are tours of AT&T Park:

<<<It's the ballpark where home runs can be "splash hits" and the breathtaking Bay views rival the action on the field. It's where one of baseball's most hallowed franchises plays inside an architectural landmark.

On your behind-the-scenes ballpark tour of AT&T Park you will get to go places only the players and staff go including:

The Field Warning Track
The Dugouts
Indoor Batting Cages
The Visitors' Clubhouse
The Press Box
A Luxury Suite
Public Tours
Available EVERY DAY at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm rain or shine, except when day games are scheduled at AT&T Park.

Great for Adults and Kids, San Francisco tourist, Giants fans and baseball fanatics.
All tour stops are subject to change depending upon team schedule and area availability.
Due to possible post-season activity, there may be changes to the October schedule.
Tours depart from the Giants Dugout Store at AT&T Park and last approximately one hour and thirty minutes.
For up to date tour information please call 415.972.2400>>>

On the Duck Tour, we went into the water all around behind the stadium. It's awesome to get that "view" of where those home run balls go!

DL1957
12-25-2010, 09:26 PM

Robin
I am having my friend who works in San Francisco check this out for us.
Hope you and Angel had a Merry Christmas and are enjoying the snow.
Sue

mmmears
12-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Another great stop for the entire family is the California Academy of Science museum in Golden Gate Park. http://www.calacademy.org/. It has an aquarium, four story rainforest, planetarium, etc. Young kids would enjoy it as well as adults.

I have to 2nd this recommendation. The Academy is a wonderful place to go, especially for kids (but really for every age). :thumbsup2

KayR
12-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I have to 2nd this recommendation. The Academy is a wonderful place to go, especially for kids (but really for every age). :thumbsup2

Yes, but book your tickets online in advance. Some days it can get busy.

--Kay

MAGICFOR2
12-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Also, a ticket there has a time on it, so they only let in a certain amount of people at a time. It didn't feel crowded at all when we were there. Definitely worth your time if you want to see more of the early works and learn about the life of Walt Disney.

I wanted to mention that I went to the Museum site and found if you have AAA you can get $5 off tickets at the ticket window.

Robin"D"
12-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Robin
I am having my friend who works in San Francisco check this out for us.
Hope you and Angel had a Merry Christmas and are enjoying the snow.
Sue

Sue,

Thx, and yes we are enjoying the 8" + so far....
I think we are going to do the WDFM excursion, maybe because we are from DCL. thjey will make it specail for us

She you next month!

Happ New Year!

mmmears
12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, but book your tickets online in advance. Some days it can get busy.

--Kay

Very good point. :thumbsup2 I forgot about that part since we had annual passes when we went. It definitely gets crowded there sometimes. ;)

DL1957
12-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Sue,

Thx, and yes we are enjoying the 8" + so far....
I think we are going to do the WDFM excursion, maybe because we are from DCL. thjey will make it specail for us

She you next month!

Happ New Year!

SOunds like a good idea, you will have to let us know how it works out.

mellers
12-26-2010, 11:46 PM
We are going to do the Disney museum on our own the cost to get in is $20.00 per person and it will not cost much to get out there even by cab but i am researching the light rail which I believe goes out there. More to follow. Sue
No such luck on the light rail--your best bet is the taxi. It shouldn't be too horrible from the pier to the Presidio. Public transit out to the Presidio is poor. (BTW--love the museum--I've been twice)

mellers
12-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I would still lean toward taking a cab to the museum and then a walking tour (on your own) of the wharf area, which includes the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square.
Other than the museum, the rest of that ship tour is not very impressive.

Or...as I'd said.....if you don't want to walk around and see all that, you can reserve tickets for the Duck Tour, and that will show you all those sights (except the museum) and China Town and the Giants ball park.
The duck tour is a lot of fun--for my 40th birthday, my husband threw me a party on the duck tour in San Francisco. If you have kids, it's a hoot, and will give you a good tour of the city. Also, a long walk away from the dock, there's the Aquarium of the Bay, which is a lot of fun, and great for kids.

LKFan
12-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I can't remember what thread it was but someone was talking about renting a car in SF. I would advise against that as parking is often difficult to find and very expensive.

justmestace
12-27-2010, 01:04 AM
I can't remember what thread it was but someone was talking about renting a car in SF. I would advise against that as parking is often difficult to find and very expensive.

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!! Bad idea!!!

mellers
12-27-2010, 01:34 AM
My family and my husband's family live in the San Francisco area, so we are there all the time. It's worth printing out the coupons for the coupon book at

Pier 39: http://www.pier39.com/funpack.html

and for

Fisherman's Wharf: http://www.baycityguide.com/images/coupons_pdf/San_Francisco_printable_coupons_shopping.pdf

Be sure to get a coupon book for every member of the family

MAGICFOR2
12-27-2010, 01:41 AM

Not sure if I posted it here, but we were considering it. Thanks for the advice!

My family and my husband's family live in the San Francisco area, so we are there all the time. It's worth printing out the coupons for the coupon book at

and for

Fisherman's Wharf: http://www.baycityguide.com/images/coupons_pdf/San_Francisco_printable_coupons_shopping.pdf

Thank you!!! I'm going to put a link over on our cruise meet thread!

Petals & Pixie Dust
12-27-2010, 07:00 AM

OK I feel like a Disney looser...:rolleyes1I didn't even realize that there was a Disney Museum...DUH! :headache: I'm guessing this is in SF...

Anything on Alaska yet???

Robin"D"
12-27-2010, 11:18 AM

and for

I did....any other hints, tips, coupons.....:confused3.....:surfweb:

Robin"D"
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
OK I feel like a Disney looser...:rolleyes1I didn't even realize that there was a Disney Museum...DUH! :headache: I'm guessing this is in SF...

Anything on Alaska yet???

still waiting for Alaska...
here you go....

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/calendar.html

mmmears
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM

I'll add more "DITTOS" onto that one. I wouldn't recommend a car if you are staying in the city.

When we drive in to SF the first thing I try to do is ditch the car -- it's a pain to find parking there. Plus when the cruise line ships are in downtown, that area is especially a mess since people are arriving and departing from an area not designed for it.;)

Schachteles
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
still waiting for Alaska...
here you go....

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/calendar.html

I am not so patiently waiting for the excursions for Alaska!! Hope they get up SOON so we can start planning!

mmmears
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I am not so patiently waiting for the excursions for Alaska!! Hope they get up SOON so we can start planning!

I"m with you on this one... especially the "not so patiently" part...:rolleyes1

MAGICFOR2
12-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Looks like if you go to www.baycityguide.com from there, you can see all kinds of tours and things to do. Looks like you get a really good idea of what's available!

mellers
12-28-2010, 12:42 AM

Okay--keeping in mind that we are weird people, and our tastes may not be everyone's, here is our list of Things We Like to Do in San Francisco:

Near the dock (you can walk there from your ship):

Pier 39 (my 14-year-old is particularly fond of the Turbo Ride and The Aquarium of the Bay)
The Aquarium of the Bay (also on Pier 39--if you have little ones, this is a can't-miss)
The Duck Tour (if you want a tour of the city, this is the way to go.)
The Musee Mechanique (This is a WHOLE lot of fun--it is a whole group of various coin-operated amusements, many of which are more than 100 years old. Bring quarters, or a 5-spot to get change. My daughter INSISTS we visit each and every year.)
The WWII-era submarine (My father was a history instructor)
The Martime Museum (if it's open--my father-in-law was a Merchant Marine)
The Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum (Silly, but fun)
The Wax Museum (My daughter loves them. Not as big a deal for me.)

Further Away from the Dock (Usually, you need a taxi or a bus):

Any museum (With kids, particularly the Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, and The Walt Disney Museum. My daughter (14), also loves the San Francisco MOMA)
Union Square (in particular, the Disney store)

We know that Alcatraz is very popular, but we've never gone.
Ghirardelli Square is just okay

If You Need Stuff (within walking distance):

A few blocks away from the docks, there is a shopping center called Northpoint. It has a Walgreens and a Safeway. Kitty-cornered from it's parking structure, there's a Trader Joe's.

mellers
12-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Also, wanted to add one more thing--I checked out the listed San Francisco Excursions, and it says that you must have a collapsible wheelchair to go to the Aquarium of the Bay and the Wax Museum. Codswallop. I've gone to both in my mobility scooter more times than I can count. You have to be careful, but there's no reason you can't go through both places comfortably.

LKFan
12-28-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm down in So Cal now but went to grad school at Cal :hippie:

Some of the places where I would take visitors:

North Beach - great Italian food. http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/northbeach/

If you want pizza and feel like taking BART out to the East Bay, check out Zacharys. http://www.zacharys.com/

Chinatown - You might check out out Chowhound.com before choosing a restaurant. Something that is unique but literally a hole in the wall is the fortune cookie factory http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/attractions/ggfortunecookie.html.

Cable Car - gotta do it just cuz you're in SF. Take a ride from the Wharf past Chinatown to Union Square. Hop on a bus to get back.

Lombard Street - Even if you aren't in a car, it is such a famous street and you see it in so many movies that it is worth at least stopping by. http://www.sftravel.com/lomabardcrookedstreet.html

Ghiradelli Square - The chocolate and ice cream aren't anything out that you can't get elsewhere. The sign and plaza are pretty in the dark so, if it isn't too cold, you can walk down after visiting Fisherman's Wharf.

Fisherman's Wharf - Honestly, IMO, it is overrated. Yeah, you should walk around and see what is there but it has gotten so dirty and the restaurants aren't all that great anymore. I'm sure others feel differently.

Wine Country - Beautiful! If you are into wine and have time, it is worth the adventure.

Golden Gate Park - HUGE with so much to see and do. As has been mentioned, the Academy of Sciences is amazing. http://www.calacademy.org/

Haight Ashbury - :hippie: http://www.lovehaight.org/ :hippie: Not really that big of a deal but might be of interest to some of you.

Marina Safeway - (just joking). Back in the day, it was the place to go if you wanted to pick up more than groceries. :hug: :rotfl:

nickcapp
12-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Alaska Excursions are up!