PDA

View Full Version : Not that it matters but I've always wondered why

Suz D
12-23-2010, 12:33 AM
People would spend $ to order a food gift basket for their own or someone else's room when there is SO much food onboard. I think the idea of fresh fruit sounds wonderful, but for the price, I'll go up to deck 9 and get my own.

I don't like it people start a thread that seems critical of someone's choices, but I'm truly not being judgemental. I have a genuine curiousity about why someone would do this.

DisneyHonu
12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Hmmm...if I received a gift basket...

My second thought might possibly be, "Oh boy, I got a buffet to go to in 5 minutes."

But my first thought would definitely be, "Wow, what a way to make someone feel special."

dolphingirl47
12-23-2010, 03:16 AM
I ordered the Bon Voyage gift for our Transatlantic Cruise as a surprise for DH. We got a bottle of Prossecco, some chocolate strawberries and some petit fours. I have to say the sparkling wine and the chocolate strawberries were the biggest temptation, but seeing DH face when he walked into the cabin was priceless. I am pondering doing the same for our Panama Canal cruise especially as we can get Fairy Tale Cuvee when leaving from Port Canaveral.

Corinna

PizzieDuster
12-23-2010, 04:22 AM
I hear ya...I'm not remotely interested in the petite bite size whatever that stuff is :confused3

I have ordered gift baskets from Shirley that my kids loved and we filled them with their favorite snacks and juice boxes which I used on excursions. It was worth it. Especially when other kids are just drooling over my kid eating his cheez-its or chip a hoys cookies :thumbsup2 Or DD opening up her fruit rolls ;) But you can always pack those snacks too :thumbsup2

Every kid loves opening a gift bag :banana::banana::banana::laughing:

clawmachine
12-23-2010, 06:23 AM
In my earlier cruising days, it used to be common for your travel agent to arrange for a fruit basket to be delivered to your room as a thank you gift. I, too always wondered why, with all the food on the ship, but still it was a very nice touch and did make us feel appreciated and welcome. Now I think I will use Shirley for the exact same reason as stated above -to have dry snack items in the room that would not be available around the ship. I could easily do without that stuff but the kids will enjoy having some treats like home, especially DS, who has a food allergy and can't just dive in to the buffet...

crw
12-23-2010, 06:34 AM
People would spend $ to order a food gift basket for their own or someone else's room when there is SO much food onboard. I think the idea of fresh fruit sounds wonderful, but for the price, I'll go up to deck 9 and get my own.

I don't like it people start a thread that seems critical of someone's choices, but I'm truly not being judgemental. I have a genuine curiousity about why someone would do this.

I definitely hear ya. I have considered ordering, but then thought of my poor belt. One of the most common themes on many of the boards, DCL, wdw, dl, etc, is "what can I do to make this trip more special for my _________?" On an all inclusive cruise, this is one of a few ways to add something special that sets the tone of specialness from the time you walk into your room. I have decided these are not for me, but think this is the idea behind them. Basically a really long winded version of "it is the thought that counts.". I know I would have to think a lot of someone to sent them a bunch of $10 pears!!!:laughing:

ducky_love
12-23-2010, 08:31 AM
My opinion is that they are for the people that don't plan the way we do. It sound like something my DH would do - surprise me with a gift in the room. Then I would tell him there is free fruit upstairs and he should have asked me first!!

That or it is folks that just want to make their vacation special. I have been tempted to order flowers because they would make the cabin smell nice. But I have always decided that the extra room on the desk was valuable space for my junk!! :rotfl2:

tinkerone
12-23-2010, 08:53 AM
i to am of the tought why would you?? i have mulled the order page over but just can not justify it. that to me would be a sweat shirt or other souvie from mickeys mates so which do i want more? fruit i can always get free or a bit of shopping before the show. shopping always wins.
now, having said that, i have ordered several things to be in the room when we get there. one year it was binoculars for dh. they weren't the BEST quality but we didn't have to worry about packing any at home and dh loved them. last year it was the travel wallet set with the passport holder. something i can take home, i'll spend my money on that before i willl food i'll see plenty of all week.
having said that, to each their own and if it wasn't popular then they wouldn't sell it.

Meredisney
12-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I think it depends on the kind of gift basket you order. I definitely understand where you are coming from if ordering a gift basket that contains food. With so much food available of the ship I think that the gift basket would be a waste. However, I would be very happy if someone sent me a gift basket with a nice bottle of champagne or wine. These are not included in the price of the cruise and I would have to spend money to buy these on my own. The same thing goes with spa certificates or OBC. Things that are not included in the price of the cruise fare would be much more appreciated than food which is available 24/7 on the ship.

mindy327
12-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Last cruise, we were welcomed by lots of items in our room. Castaway gift, our box we had shipped, our travel agency left our shipboard credit there and a memory box, and my mom suprised us with the Bon Voyage gift as well as two Mickey water bottles for our kids.
So we loved the gifts but the Bon Voyage package we opened took one bite and left our room! We didnt ever get to open the sparking apple juice. It was nice to get but sooo not worth the money spent. Because, we went to our room and put stuff away, decorated our door and we were up to the deck for the sail away party. We didnt have time to sit and sip Martineli's. So I absolutely see the OP's thoughts and point. The gifts are nice, but I will not be purchasing food for our room any time soon!

remlap
12-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Last year we did the four night and had the REAS, and it was a great to surprise with champagne chilling, the strawberries, chocolates and robes.

That said, I only purchased the REAS to book the Palo times I wanted and to guarantee brunch as being west coasters, I know I was going to wake up at crack of dawn to get to terminal for a #2 boarding pass. Also i didn't actually pay for the REAS, I bought the whole cruise on AMEX points.

A long way to say, if you stop and think dollars, you'd never order something from Disney to be waiting in your room. However, if you were surprising kids or a significant other, it might be worth it. Especially a personalized gift basket from Shirley, or a bottle of wine that cost $$ on the ship anyway with something small to eat. Fruit platter or cheese plate? Not so much, order the same thing for free from room service. :)

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
OP: I'm glad you posted this question. I too have wondered the same thing. Perhaps it's because I'm too practical.

As other have said, it's a very nice gesture. We had one given to us a gift once and honestly, most everything was uneaten and we never opened the bottle. I felt bad, but with everything else on board, we just were unable to enjoy it.

dursin
12-23-2010, 10:21 AM

I've often wondered the same thing. When you think about it, it makes about as much sense as buying a bag of sand to take with you to the beach. Sure, it surprises the kids for a bit, but most gets I know would also get excited over the bag of sand. :)

I'm with the other poster who said the money would be better spent in the souvenir shops on the ship.

chefbart
12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Just a thought ,but i bet those poeple on the carnavel cruise would have really wish they had some food in there room. :confused3

kcashner
12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
That has always been my opinion, especially with the birthday package. The decorations are put up before you board (not on the birthday). And you get a cake. Make that "another" cake, because you'll get one in the dining room as well. And there is cake all over the ship all the time.

Yes, we got a fruit basked from our TA once--another big WHY? There was fruit all over the ship and we couldn't bring any leftovers home with us, so it made no sense.

The personalized gift baskets from Shirley make a lot more sense to me--you'll get "stuff" that means something to YOUR family, chosen just for them.

Suz D
12-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Just a thought ,but i bet those poeple on the carnavel cruise would have really wish they had some food in there room. :confused3

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

OP here. I totally get the "gift baskets" that Shirley does that contain sand toys etc. I think that's a wonderful surprise. It's just the food that I don't get. Like a PP said, "It's free from room service". I think if I had a balcony cabin I would enjoy having Shirley do a basket with Martinelli's (since it's $25/bottle through DCL :scared1:) It's been fun reading all of your comments...(and I am thinking about ordering one of Shirleys with sand toys but I'm really on short notice).

LindaBabe
12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
my husband LOVED his treasure chest from Shirley that included 6 Coronas and his favorite kind of pretzels!

belle'ssister
12-24-2010, 02:55 AM
What is "Shirley" a gift company? :confused:

PizzieDuster
12-24-2010, 04:42 AM
What is "Shirley" a gift company? :confused:

Yes, Shirley is fantastic at making gift baskets for departure day. My kids loved them. The snacks and juice boxes were great for excursions.

And she is a very special lady. Often times helping out cruisers who have emergencies, etc.

http://www.theperfectgift.cc/

PrincessTrisha
12-24-2010, 05:29 AM
I ordered the champagne and chocolate strawberries and petit fours for us on our October cruise.

It was a nice surprise for the room and the quality of the treats was much better than anything that was on the buffet.

It was lovely to sit out on our huge balcony during sailaway and enjoy the champagne and treats.

I didn't find the desserts at the buffet (or Parrot Cay buffet when we boarded) to be all that great. :confused3 Certainly not worth running up to get to bring back to the room only to throw away after 1 bite.

We spent more time in our cabin than I would guess the average DIS board member does so maybe that's why it made sense for us.

There are lots of things that people do that I don't understand but I assume it makes sense for their vacation so I wouldn't start a thread like - "Why do you bring cases of water on board?"

Suz D
12-24-2010, 07:27 AM
There are lots of things that people do that I don't understand but I assume it makes sense for their vacation so I wouldn't start a thread like - "Why do you bring cases of water on board?"

Which is exactly why I said I wasn't being judgemental but just had a curiousity and a genuine desire to know. I had hoped that was really communicated in my original post. I think it's ony a problem when you say, "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" (which I wasn't). When we strive for a greater understanding of others' behaviors and are willing to learn from the information we gain, that benefits us. I still may not agree with the person's point of view, but hearing their reasoning gives me another perspective that obviously I hadn't thought of.

But, although I felt that I should respond to your post by explaining my motivation, I'm hopeful that your comment wasn't directed at my starting this post :goodvibes

Finally, I learn something every day from reading this Dis. Reading the responses to this thread has opened my eyes to the possibilities of getting a gift basket with "movie treats" or Martinelli's, both of which are available onboard. (I also got a big laugh out of the comment about everyone being envious of the cheez-its :lmao:) In the case of a "why would you bring a case of water onboard" I honestly think that if a person asked that question and read the responses, they might say :idea: "I hadn't thought of that" and may even bring their own case of water next time :goodvibes. Thanks to those who shared both the reasons they get a food basket and the reasons why not. Feel free to continue to contribute to the conversation. :thumbsup2

Because people are quick to be critical of others (not meaning you, but people in general) I think it's easy for a question like this to be misinterpreted. Sorry to be so longwinded on this reply but I really hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to stir a pot.

lovethedream
12-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually, I think it is a good question. While I have never had a "gift basket" on board, we had a "mini bar" (which was nothing more than a fridge with a few goodies inside) on one cruise. It is something I never thought of until you asked, but it was kinda nice to just chill in the room, sit out on the balcony and raid the fridge! Even with room service or going to get something elsewhere on the ship, it requires effort. It was kinda nice to just sit back and relax and have something immediately available without having to, at the very least, pick up the phone, have a discussion and then answer the door. Especially after a long day on board or a long day just getting back on the ship, I could see where someone could appreciate the gift basket.

Satisfy that instant craving without wait! lol...

KSDisneyDad
12-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I ordered the champagne and chocolate strawberries and petit fours for us on our October cruise.

It was a nice surprise for the room and the quality of the treats was much better than anything that was on the buffet.

It was lovely to sit out on our huge balcony during sailaway and enjoy the champagne and treats.

I didn't find the desserts at the buffet (or Parrot Cay buffet when we boarded) to be all that great. :confused3 Certainly not worth running up to get to bring back to the room only to throw away after 1 bite.

We spent more time in our cabin than I would guess the average DIS board member does so maybe that's why it made sense for us.

Thanks for posting a valid and good reason to the OP's question. I don't believe the OP had any ill intent, but simply wanted to know why as did many others including me. Also, the package the OP had mentioned was different than yours - it included a bottle of sparkling cider (not champagne) and the included treats were identical to the free treats that you can get in Cove Cafe. That said, based on how you enjoy sail away, it sounds like a perfect extra cost item for you. For us, it doesn't make sense as it mostly went uneated or unopened -- and we spent hours on our balcony over the course of the cruise. To each their own and neither family is wrong IMO.

Which is exactly why I said I wasn't being judgemental but just had a curiousity and a genuine desire to know. I had hoped that was really communicated in my original post. I think it's ony a problem when you say, "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" (which I wasn't). When we strive for a greater understanding of others' behaviors and are willing to learn from the information we gain, that benefits us. I still may not agree with the person's point of view, but hearing their reasoning gives me another perspective that obviously I hadn't thought of.

But, although I felt that I should respond to your post by explaining my motivation, I'm hopeful that your comment wasn't directed at my starting this post :goodvibes

Finally, I learn something every day from reading this Dis. Reading the responses to this thread has opened my eyes to the possibilities of getting a gift basket with "movie treats" or Martinelli's, both of which are available onboard. (I also got a big laugh out of the comment about everyone being envious of the cheez-its :lmao:) In the case of a "why would you bring a case of water onboard" I honestly think that if a person asked that question and read the responses, they might say :idea: "I hadn't thought of that" and may even bring their own case of water next time :goodvibes. Thanks to those who shared both the reasons they get a food basket and the reasons why not. Feel free to continue to contribute to the conversation. :thumbsup2

Because people are quick to be critical of others (not meaning you, but people in general) I think it's easy for a question like this to be misinterpreted. Sorry to be so longwinded on this reply but I really hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to stir a pot.

A very good response IMO.:thumbsup2

Suz D
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
A very good response IMO.:thumbsup2

Thanks! I didn't want to come across as being defensive. :goodvibes

tvguy
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't get the food baskets, or bringing food on board either. Too much to eat on board. Our travel agent always has a bottle of wine waiting for us in the stateroom, that rocks.

insureman
12-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't get the food baskets, or bringing food on board either. Too much to eat on board. Our travel agent always has a bottle of wine waiting for us in the stateroom, that rocks.

AAA travel should take note on the wine. Since they cut back on the OBC they have been giving the fruit basket for a welcoming gift. Like there's not enough free fruit on board.

clawmachine
12-24-2010, 11:06 PM

Lots of good dietary or medical reasons to bring some pre-packaged food onboard, actually. Some of us don't even know what it is like to travel anywhere without some kind of food always on hand. DS has a severe allergy and I was hoping to call ahead and be assured of the availability of safe treats that could be eaten between meals. We would have been happy with even just one snack option guaranteed, but all DCL would basically say is "only eat in the dining rooms and bring your own pre-packaged treats on board."

woody73
12-25-2010, 12:25 AM
While I have never ordered a fruit gift basket, I have received them on several cruises.

Like any gift, I would accept it graciously and thank the sender.

Woody

Suz D
12-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Lots of good dietary or medical reasons to bring some pre-packaged food onboard, actually. Some of us don't even know what it is like to travel anywhere without some kind of food always on hand. DS has a severe allergy and I was hoping to call ahead and be assured of the availability of safe treats that could be eaten between meals. We would have been happy with even just one snack option guaranteed, but all DCL would basically say is "only eat in the dining rooms and bring your own pre-packaged treats on board."

Claw...that is incredible that DCL wasn't more accomodating. I know at WDW they bend over backwards to make sure that people with allergies are taken care of.

When we ate at Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge) with a friend who had a nut allergy, the chef personally walked her through the entire buffet line. "This is okay, this is okay, this is not etc." He also told her to stay away from any of the desserts because of cross contamination and brought a special dessert to our table. Oh my gosh was it decadant! Oreos dipped in batter, fried and then piled in a big cone thing and covered with powdered sugar and drizzled with chocolate syrup. :scared1:

I can definately understand why you'd bring your own food onboard in your case. If you cruise again, it would be wonderful to have a custom basket delivered with treats your DS can eat.

Bethshaya
12-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I think the answer is the same as why go out for dinner when you have food in your refridgerator.

The answer: Because you can.

It is something you wouldn't normally do that makes an already wonderful trip, even better.

dolphingirl47
12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the answer is the same as why go out for dinner when you have food in your refridgerator.

The answer: Because you can.

It is something you wouldn't normally do that makes an already wonderful trip, even better.

This sums up perfectly how I feel about this.

Corinna

clawmachine
12-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Claw...that is incredible that DCL wasn't more accomodating. I know at WDW they bend over backwards to make sure that people with allergies are taken care of.

When we ate at Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge) with a friend who had a nut allergy, the chef personally walked her through the entire buffet line. "This is okay, this is okay, this is not etc." He also told her to stay away from any of the desserts because of cross contamination and brought a special dessert to our table. Oh my gosh was it decadant! Oreos dipped in batter, fried and then piled in a big cone thing and covered with powdered sugar and drizzled with chocolate syrup. :scared1:

I can definately understand why you'd bring your own food onboard in your case. If you cruise again, it would be wonderful to have a custom basket delivered with treats your DS can eat.

thanks Suz! Based on the wonderful reviews here, I really think DCL will be helpful to us once we board! I may have spoken to someone new or someone who was trying really hard to "CYA" because she kept refusing to give me any details about what might be available and kept insisting I would find all that out onboard. She only wants us to eat in the dining rooms and so when I asked about snacks, that's when she said we should bring our own. I think I may try to call back on another day and hope to get someone more helpful!! :-)

tvguy
12-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Of course medical issues would be different, but your's is the first complaint I have seen on 7 years on this board that DCL didn't bend over backwards for those with food allergies. Did you just e-mail them, or fill out the medical form?

Suz D
12-25-2010, 04:11 PM
claw, not to hijack my own thread, but I bet there are lots of people on here who could give you suggestions of things that are available onboard. Definately lots of fresh fruit on deck 9.

Plaid Princess
12-25-2010, 04:34 PM
DS has a severe allergy and I was hoping to call ahead and be assured of the availability of safe treats that could be eaten between meals. We would have been happy with even just one snack option guaranteed, but all DCL would basically say is "only eat in the dining rooms and bring your own pre-packaged treats on board."

They're always going to recommend eating in the dining rooms because the Chef can personally handle the allergy there. I'm allergic to shellfish, and while it's fairly easy for me to avoid, shellfish (and seafood in general) is more prevalent on a cruise than in most of the restaurants I frequent.

I always inform my servers on the cruise, just to be on the safe side. Each time the head server and the chef have spoken to me about the allergy, and on more than one occasion the chef personally modified a choice on the menu for me. :) This is harder to do with snack items, but don't worry, there's so much food on board, you'll be in great shape! Just make sure you do the medical forms so they're aware of what to have on hand if it's something like a Gluten intolerance that requires special substitutions. I'm very lucky that all they really have to do is leave the shellfish out and make sure the grill is clean. ;)

clawmachine
12-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Of course medical issues would be different, but your's is the first complaint I have seen on 7 years on this board that DCL didn't bend over backwards for those with food allergies. Did you just e-mail them, or fill out the medical form?

I spoke to a lady in special services on the phone for a half hour. They no longer need the medical form for food allergies and have in fact changed the format of it so there's no place to annotate them there. I really am not worried that we will be given safe food to eat once on board. I was just very disappointed that they were not willing to give me any specific food info ahead of time. DS is very anxious about food and it would have been nice to tell him a few things ahead of time. He has a peanut and tree nut allergy, so nothing they haven't seen before. I really think I got someone new and should call back.
Suz - thanks again. I did indeed start a thread on this a few days ago and got some good info! :-)