PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Club Levels

jfs9900
12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Am I the only person that thinks the membership levels (Silver/Gold/Platinum) should be based off the number of nights sailed and not the overall number of cruises?

I know RCCL provides 'bonus' points for booking higher category rooms. I almost feel cheated when looking at longer cruises, like a 11night/14/15 nights when they could be more credits with a shorter 3/4/ or 7 night cruise.

KSDisneyDad
12-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Am I the only person that thinks the membership levels (Silver/Gold/Platinum) should be based off the number of nights sailed and not the overall number of cruises?

I know RCCL provides 'bonus' points for booking higher category rooms. I almost feel cheated when looking at longer cruises, like a 11night/14/15 nights when they could be more credits with a shorter 3/4/ or 7 night cruise.

Have you written DCL to give your opinion?

There have been many threads on this topic and it generally gets quite heated so put on your flame suit.

I wish DCL would redesign their program to be similar to other cruise lines like RCCL. Instead they emulate Carnival?!

I know they made a step in the right direction by adding levels and they have made it more attractive to reach higher levels by increasing the OBC for rebooking onboard with each higher level. There is also a good shopping discount for Gold or higher. Now they should just recognize those on longer cruises.

jfs9900
12-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Wait... there is a higher OBC depending on castaway status?! When did that start, lol I think I missed something!

dsnydaddy
12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I've heard that theory bandied about. It makes sense, but since I'm benefiting from that system I'm not griping too much. That said I can certainly see where you're coming from.

brianvdb
12-23-2010, 12:41 AM

No, you're not. This one has been beat to death on these boards.

Call Disney and let them know. If they hear from enough people and it works for their business model, they might change it.

MagicalPins
12-23-2010, 12:48 AM

No.

As I have said many times. I think the most fair way to have it is based on the number of sailings OR the number of nights. One system always seems to leave someone out. Having it be flexible for how people travel would be amazing.

My friend is a perfect example. In her first 3 cruises, she racked up 39 nights on board. (10 night, 14 night and 15 night). She finally managed to reach Gold 2 weeks ago after completing her 5th sailing totaling 53 nights. She get upset at the fact that some people might have only sailed 30 nights on board (10 3-nights) and are Platinum when she 46 nights and was still just Silver.

I do think the ideal situation would be Number of sailings 5 or 10 completed OR by the number of nights. I would have it based on 7 nights per sailing based on those numbers. So 35 nights or 70 nights. This way the guests that travel on shorter cruises are still rewarded and the guests that travel on the longer voyages get a little more credit. A 2 week Panama Canal sailing should be worth 2 3-nighters.

Otimon
12-23-2010, 04:58 AM
My personal opinion is similar to what Ronald Reagan used to say when asked about his age or whatever and that was to consider the alternative.

Disney does not have to do anything regarding Castaway Club levels. I am a platinum level Castaway Club member now but it had nothing to do with my trying to increase the number of trips (or days if that were the case) in order to get there. I increased my trips because I just plain love going on the cruise! Anything else is a bonus that's welcomed but certainly, personally speaking, not expected at any level.

Enjoy your next cruise and try not to feel cheated regarding Disney's policies.
You are one of the very fortunate ones to have the opportunity to enjoy such a wonderful adventure. :goodvibes

KingRichard
12-23-2010, 07:58 AM
They should base it on amount spent.

Someone who cruise in 3 $10k suites should get more credit then a inside basement room?

dsnydaddy
12-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Enjoy your next cruise and try not to feel cheated regarding Disney's policies.
You are one of the very fortunate ones to have the opportunity to enjoy such a wonderful adventure. :goodvibes

Amen to that.

DynamicDisneyDuo
12-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Not again....but still popcorn::

mmouse37
12-23-2010, 08:50 AM
They should base it on amount spent.

Someone who cruise in 3 $10k suites should get more credit then a inside basement room?

Ummm...there are no basement rooms on DCL. There is no difference from an inside cabin on Deck 1 or 2 compared to an inside cabin on Deck 8. It's comments like this that bring cruising back to the Titantic age where there were class systems like first class and steerage.

And I don't agree that it should be based on amount spent. Plain and simple it is a loyalty program (amount of cruises) not how much money you spent.

I have been with DCL since day 1 on the Maiden Voyage of the Magic and I have been a very loyal DCL follower and my Platinum status shows that.

Have you cruised on DCL yet, just curious?

MJ

woody73
12-23-2010, 08:54 AM
I know RCCL provides 'bonus' points for booking higher category rooms.
RCCL also provides an extra cruise credit for sailing on a 12-night or longer cruise.

Woody

ducky_love
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I dunno, it is hard to feel cheated when they are giving me stuff. I guess I just see it as a free perk and I am happy to have it. Of course, I'm happier to be on the cruise!!! :goodvibes

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Wait... there is a higher OBC depending on castaway status?! When did that start, lol I think I missed something!

Yes, it's an extra $75 per stateroom for 7-night or longer cruises at both Gold and Platinum levels (i.e. $200; $275; $350). For the shorter cruises, it's $100; $150 and $200 for Silver, Gold, and Platinum, respectively.

There's also the $25 extra OBC for each $100 you spend in the gift shops once you hit Gold. The above two perks would have saved by an extra $125 on our last cruise. Not a lot, but it's something.

To me, the other perks aren't that great except for perhaps being able to book at least one day before the general public and Silver members for new itineraries. Prices can sometimes rise quickly, especially for a popular itinerary.

RCCL also provides an extra cruise credit for sailing on a 12-night or longer cruise.

Woody

And they also provide an extra cruise credit for travelling in a Suite. That would never apply to me as I can't afford it, but it's nice for those that do spend the extra money on a Suite.

Another interesting note about RCCL is that they changed their loyalty program in 2009, but after a backlash from consumers who frequent websites such as cruisemates and cruisecritic (which are similar to this board), RCCL caved in and changed it.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/Cruise-Line-Loyalty3.cfm#axzz18wuDBoUh

I dunno, it is hard to feel cheated when they are giving me stuff. I guess I just see it as a free perk and I am happy to have it. Of course, I'm happier to be on the cruise!!! :goodvibes

I tend to agree overall, but DCL has stated that they want consumer feedback on all facets of their Company. If no one commented, the "Island Party" character breakfast would still be here instead of the more traditional Chef Mickey style where they come to your table. Similarly, smoking could still be allowed in the lounges and clubs. All I'm trying to say is, as a consumer, everyone should have the right to voice their opinion. Some may not care one way or the other and that is their right. However, if someone does care, they should not begrudged that right or flamed for being "selfish" or "ungrateful".

BTW: OP - here's a link to voice a comment to DCL:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contact-us/

5lilfish
12-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm in pretty good shape no matter which way DCL does it, but....I feel that the point of the program is to award LOYALTY. Being loyal means you keep returning. I don't think it is more loyal to go on a second 14 day cruise vs going on your seventh 4 day cruise (both 28 days in total). The 7 shorter cruise family still made the choice to spend their vacation dollars on DCL 7 times vs 2 times.

Jess

ducky_love
12-23-2010, 10:09 AM
However, if someone does care, they should not begrudged that right or flamed for being "selfish" or "ungrateful".

BTW: OP - here's a link to voice a comment to DCL:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contact-us/

Yikes! I must have missed the original thread where that happened! :eek: I totally agree that if others dislike they system they should give their feedback to DCL. Even if they changed it I don't think I would care. Especially if it made my fellow cruisers happy!!

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm in pretty good shape no matter which way DCL does it, but....I feel that the point of the program is to award LOYALTY. Being loyal means you keep returning. I don't think it is more loyal to go on a second 14 day cruise vs going on your seventh 4 day cruise (both 28 days in total). The 7 shorter cruise family still made the choice to spend their vacation dollars on DCL 7 times vs 2 times.

Jess

By the time I clicked on your post, I noticed you edited it. Although I appreciate your opinion as you've stated it above, it is an opinion so others may disagree. Not that either is right or wrong.

I looked on the DCL website and could not find the word "loyalty" anywhere under the CC program. Granted, I can see how it can be interpreted as a "loyalty" program. To me, it's a combination of a loyalty and rewards program. DCL uses words such as "benefits" or "extras" to show these rewards. Although someone who has taken two 14 day cruises may not appear loyal, perhaps they live far away and can only cruise one a year or every other year, but when they do cruise, they will take longer cruises. (BTW: Under other cruise programs, that family would still be in the first tier.)Shorter cruises don't work for everyone. I know we will probably never take a 4-night cruise or shorter again

As a combination loyalty/reward plan, many other cruise lines have found different ways to recognize repeat guests including those that book longer cruises. RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and Holland American are just a few of the other cruise lines that provide additional credit to those who book longer cruises and/or who upgrade cabins.

Even on the DCL website, it clearly states in the FAQ section that the main reason they changed their CC program in the first place was due to customer feedback. Since then, they have modified the OBC's they offer - most likely due to customer feedback. Without customer feedback, they don't know how they are doing and what customers want. If not enough customers comment about # of days (and that's probably the case as there are relatively few longer cruises), then they won't change it. I think the other cruise lines that offer extra credit for longer cruises offer a larger variety of longer cruise itineraries. That may be why DCL has chosen not to do it as the majority of their cruises are either 3, 4, 5 or 7 nights. But I argue because some will only book on the longer cruise itineraries, DCL should entice them to continue to book the longer cruises and reward them for doing so. DCL often has difficulty filling those longer cruises (i.e. the upcoming cruise that was cancelled and broken into two shorter cruises; the TA's and there is even a lot of remaining availability on the January PC cruise next month).

I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I just want to state that I think if someone doesn't like something (even if I, or others, do like it), that both sides have the right to voice their opinion without feeling like a second class citizen. I believe some feel like those who want it changed are only looking to gain "status". I don't feel that's the case - they just want to be recognized similar to how they would have been with other cruise lines.

BTW - any changes that DCL would implement would not affect me at all (well it might in 5 years). I just understand the frustration from the loyal DCL lovers who enjoy the longer cruises

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Yikes! I must have missed the original thread where that happened! :eek: I totally agree that if others dislike they system they should give their feedback to DCL. Even if they changed it I don't think I would care. Especially if it made my fellow cruisers happy!!

You're lucky that you missed those threads. I don't want to go back to those threads, but paraphrasing with the words "ungrateful" or "selfish" is being kind. :goodvibes I don't understand why others feel a need on this topic to begrudge others from voicing an opinion.

KingRichard
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Ummm...there are no basement rooms on DCL. There is no difference from an inside cabin on Deck 1 or 2 compared to an inside cabin on Deck 8. It's comments like this that bring cruising back to the Titantic age where there were class systems like first class and steerage.

And I don't agree that it should be based on amount spent. Plain and simple it is a loyalty program (amount of cruises) not how much money you spent.

I have been with DCL since day 1 on the Maiden Voyage of the Magic and I have been a very loyal DCL follower and my Platinum status shows that.

MJ

What does it matter if I have cruised before or not?

Most reward programs are based on what you spend.

If I take my family with me verse a couple who spends more on the room?

If I'm in concierge verse a basic room who spends more?

Who are they making more profit on? Isn't that what it comes down to is PROFIT?

mmouse37
12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Aside from the question of whether the program is a rewards or loyalty program.....I was genuinely curious if you had cruised DCL before as I don't think you would have made that statement about the basement if you had. No offense was intended and sorry if was taken that way. Many people who have not cruised do get worried that cabins on lower decks will be in "steerage" or under the water line and I do my best to dispel that myth...that's all.

Some have the opinion that it should be based on number of days sailed or money spent....I respectfully disagree. I feel it is a loyalty program and the amount of money spent onboard should not influence your CC status. Again, just my opinion.

MJ

inkkognito
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
We're Platinum (78 cruises) so I think we've proven some pretty major loyalty to DCL. I can see both sides of the coin and would be Platinum no matter what. But who is more loyal to the brand, someone who takes one 14-night transatlantic crossing or someone who does half a dozen Disney cruises in the same year?

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
We're Platinum (78 cruises) so I think we've proven some pretty major loyalty to DCL. I can see both sides of the coin and would be Platinum no matter what. But who is more loyal to the brand, someone who takes one 14-night transatlantic crossing or someone who does half a dozen Disney cruises in the same year?

It depends. If the person who took a half dozen Disney cruises in the same year also took 4 or 5 cruises on RCCL or CCL because they live close and can get good rates, then they're less loyal than the family who lives far away from PC or LA and can only cruise once a year, or maybe even once every other year, but when they do cruise, they choose to cruise exclusively with Disney.

Even if Disney changed their policy it would most likely take a minimum of 3 cruises to reach a different level. And because Disney only offers very few long cruises, it would take quite a bit of time.

PrincessTrisha
12-23-2010, 02:02 PM
My opinion:

If they are going to revamp it to change it from "cruises" to "nights" then they should do a full revamp and give different categories different values as well.

Taking a 7 night cruise in a category 12 is different $$$ than taking a 7 night cruise in a balcony cabin or concierge level.

WDWKevin
12-23-2010, 02:09 PM

MJ

Bravo! Well said MJ!!

kcashner
12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
It's easy to see both sides of this issue. I'm a frequent cruiser, starting with the maiden voyage of the Magic. Until 2009, I had never sailed on the Wonder because I prefer longer cruises. Yes, several of my cruises are more than 7 nights.

Sure, I can see some room for improvement in the system. There's no question that a 14 night cruise is not the same as a 3 night cruise. On the other hand, a family who does 5 3 night cruises has shown more loyalty to DCL than a family that does a single 14 night cruise. In reality, the norm is somewhere in between. A family who does a 3 night cruise is likely to also try longer cruises, and those of us who do long cruises probably mix those with some 7 night sailings. I guess I am happy that DCL has done something to recognize my many trips. Yes, I enjoy the perks of being platinum, but I don't begrudge them to someone who has accrued them thru 10 shorter cruises.

I DO take issue with a woman we "met" on one cruise who practically attacked my daughter about her platinum status making various accusations--similar to some of the things other posters have voiced on previous threads--that her mother must be a travel agent (no), that she must have sailed mostly on the Wonder (no), etc.

Bottom line--if you don't like the program as it is, let DCL know what you would do to improve it.

To the person who asked about the increased OBC for gold and platinum rebookings on board; that benefit begins with 2011 sailings. And the $25 for a $100 purchase applies only to a $100 purchase made at one time; it does not apply if you buy stuff throughout the cruise that adds up to $100.

This topic is becoming almost as hot as tipping threads!

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 03:23 PM
It's easy to see both sides of this issue. I'm a frequent cruiser, starting with the maiden voyage of the Magic. Until 2009, I had never sailed on the Wonder because I prefer longer cruises. Yes, several of my cruises are more than 7 nights.

Sure, I can see some room for improvement in the system. There's no question that a 14 night cruise is not the same as a 3 night cruise. On the other hand, a family who does 5 3 night cruises has shown more loyalty to DCL than a family that does a single 14 night cruise. In reality, the norm is somewhere in between. A family who does a 3 night cruise is likely to also try longer cruises, and those of us who do long cruises probably mix those with some 7 night sailings. I guess I am happy that DCL has done something to recognize my many trips. Yes, I enjoy the perks of being platinum, but I don't begrudge them to someone who has accrued them thru 10 shorter cruises.

I DO take issue with a woman we "met" on one cruise who practically attacked my daughter about her platinum status making various accusations--similar to some of the things other posters have voiced on previous threads--that her mother must be a travel agent (no), that she must have sailed mostly on the Wonder (no), etc.

Bottom line--if you don't like the program as it is, let DCL know what you would do to improve it.

To the person who asked about the increased OBC for gold and platinum rebookings on board; that benefit begins with 2011 sailings. And the $25 for a $100 purchase applies only to a $100 purchase made at one time; it does not apply if you buy stuff throughout the cruise that adds up to $100.

This topic is becoming almost as hot as tipping threads!

Well said. I hope that this thread continues with people who are as courteous in their responses.

I tend to slightly disagree about the family who takes 5 3-night vs 1 15-night as showing more loyalty. What if that family lives in Florida and just jots over to PC for 5 separate last minute weekend getaway trips because they got a good Florida discount and would go with any line for the right price. Contrast that to a family who saves and saves for a huge trip and spends 18+ months discussing it with others, doing pre-meets, FE, t-shirts, bracelets, nametags, themed events, etc. etcd. Perhaps DCL thinks the family who took 5 shorter cruises is more loyal, but if they fail to offer Florida discounts taht family won't cruise on Disney again. However, if you saw the Disney fanatics who planned and discussed and touted DCL for nearly 18+ months prior to our 15-night cruise - I simply can't imagine a more loyal group of ambassadors for DCL both before and after the cruise. If we had cruised on RCCL, two credits would have been received for the trip. Is it really that big of a change for DCL to do the same? It would still take another three 7-night or fewer trips to get to the next tier. And IMO, those are the cruisers who are more likely to go on longer cruises or special itineraries in the future.

That said, the above two examples are the extreme and I actually agree with you in that most people are in the middle and tend to mix it up - I know we are. We've taken two 4 nights, two 7 nights and one 15 night. I did not like the 4-night with the entire family as much, but that was mostly because on a per-night basis, it cost us a fortune as we had to fly to Florida, spend a night in a hotel the night before and get ground transportation just like the longer cruises. We're much better off to go as long as we can on each cruise which is why we skipped the Dream and are booked on the Fantasy in 2012.

BTW - I can't imagine ever 'confronting' someone about their status. Does it really matter?

inkkognito
12-23-2010, 07:04 PM
She'd better hope she never meets me because I'll ream her a new one for sure. Even if a person is a TA, that doesn't mean they use TA rates. And what's wrong with sailing most of your cruises on the Wonder? That was "my" ship for years, and part of my loyalty to DCL is the wonderful experiences I had on that ship. A short cruise is no less worthwhile than a long one, and usually more expensive if you go by per night. The Wonder was literally my home away from home, and I definitely feel like I earned my Platinum status. Sounds like the woman was just jealous; hopefully your daughter ignored her idiodicy.

5lilfish
12-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Well said. I hope that this thread continues with people who are as courteous in their responses.

I tend to slightly disagree about the family who takes 5 3-night vs 1 15-night as showing more loyalty. What if that family lives in Florida and just jots over to PC for 5 separate last minute weekend getaway trips because they got a good Florida discount and would go with any line for the right price. Contrast that to a family who saves and saves for a huge trip and spends 18+ months discussing it with others, doing pre-meets, FE, t-shirts, bracelets, nametags, themed events, etc. etcd. Perhaps DCL thinks the family who took 5 shorter cruises is more loyal, but if they fail to offer Florida discounts taht family won't cruise on Disney again. However, if you saw the Disney fanatics who planned and discussed and touted DCL for nearly 18+ months prior to our 15-night cruise - I simply can't imagine a more loyal group of ambassadors for DCL both before and after the cruise. If we had cruised on RCCL, two credits would have been received for the trip. Is it really that big of a change for DCL to do the same? It would still take another three 7-night or fewer trips to get to the next tier. And IMO, those are the cruisers who are more likely to go on longer cruises or special itineraries in the future.

That said, the above two examples are the extreme and I actually agree with you in that most people are in the middle and tend to mix it up - I know we are. We've taken two 4 nights, two 7 nights and one 15 night. I did not like the 4-night with the entire family as much, but that was mostly because on a per-night basis, it cost us a fortune as we had to fly to Florida, spend a night in a hotel the night before and get ground transportation just like the longer cruises. We're much better off to go as long as we can on each cruise which is why we skipped the Dream and are booked on the Fantasy in 2012.

BTW - I can't imagine ever 'confronting' someone about their status. Does it really matter?

The thing is, DCL cannot get that involved in deciding which group is more loyal. They can't go case by case and say, "Well this famiily has it easier because they only have a 30 min ride to the port and they only book when discounts are offered...so let's not give them as many points," OR "Well this family has only cruised once...but look at what they had to go through to get here. They drove 20 hrs so they deserve more credit for their trip." DCL had to create a system that took everyone into account the best they could. I do agree with the idea that they could create 2 systems in one...like 5 cruise OR 21 days sailing though.

Also, I don't really agree that a family that booked a 15 day voyage more than a year in advance is more loyal than a family that lives in Florida and has sailed 5 times for 3 nights. To me, loyalty is returning time and time again. Of course, that is just the way I see it..and obviously others feel differently. Again, it has no affect on me, so I'm not overly biased, because I've sailed DCL 14 times for 78 days. I would probably be covered either way.

Jess

JOEYDIS
12-23-2010, 07:58 PM
This whole thread is kind of sad. I think you should be happy that you can afford these cruises and enjoy them for what they are. Your vacation. Most people can't do cruises because they are expensive. I feel fortunate to go on any vacation and the CC club gifts are just that gifts. The perks are great but I go on the cruises for the cruises not the silly CC club gifts and perks. I will be sailing on Jan 30 on the Dream which is my fourth. Can't wait.

kcashner
12-23-2010, 08:17 PM
She'd better hope she never meets me because I'll ream her a new one for sure. Even if a person is a TA, that doesn't mean they use TA rates. And what's wrong with sailing most of your cruises on the Wonder? That was "my" ship for years, and part of my loyalty to DCL is the wonderful experiences I had on that ship. A short cruise is no less worthwhile than a long one, and usually more expensive if you go by per night. The Wonder was literally my home away from home, and I definitely feel like I earned my Platinum status. Sounds like the woman was just jealous; hopefully your daughter ignored her idiodicy.

I'm not agreeing that anything the woman said should make a difference, and I totally agree that she was jealous. I just found it amazing that she would be so hateful with a young person! Of course, DD remarked that she was rude to the server at the buffet as well--he was trying to replace an item and she wouldn't get out of his way. Yes, DD saw the whole thing for what it was; she has better people skills than I'll ever have. Some people are just hateful!

KSDisneyDad
12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
This whole thread is kind of sad. I think you should be happy that you can afford these cruises and enjoy them for what they are. Your vacation. Most people can't do cruises because they are expensive. I feel fortunate to go on any vacation and the CC club gifts are just that gifts. The perks are great but I go on the cruises for the cruises not the silly CC club gifts and perks. I will be sailing on Jan 30 on the Dream which is my fourth. Can't wait.

Why begrudge others the right to voice an opinion just because you think it's "silly" or "ridiculous". This same argument comes up everytime this topic is posted. I characterize it as the "shut up and be happy" argument. I don't understand why you don't post this same thing on every single thread where someone has a complaint?:confused3 It seems to be exclusive to this topic.

I've actually thought about posting the same thing on other threads, but I have to stop myself and realize what I may find trivial, others don't and vice versa. Why does being able to afford it have any bearing on a rewards program? Since you don't care about it, I assume you also don't use a VISA rewards card, a grocery store rewards program or any other rewards program because just the privilege of buying something should be reward enough.

I agree that most of the perks aren't that great, but why do you have to be condescending and call them silly? They do add up. On our next cruise, we will save at least $600, or $200 extra than a Silver CC member (two extra $75 per cabin OBC's and I expect to get at least $50 in extra OBC's from the Gold CC member shopping reward). An extra $600 is not a "silly" perk to me and an extra $200 is not small change either - at least not to me - I'm not sure about you.

As I stated above, even DCL has stated that they only changed their program because of feedback from guests. If all of those guests were as happy as you, the program would have never changed. I'm sure Disney would be fine with that. All I'm advocating is to emulate RCCL's program where they give an extra credit for longer cruises. Why choose to emulate Carnival?

And what's ironic is that none of this affects me one iota. I just can see both sides and don't like the attitude conveyed in many of the posts that tend to begrudge some from posting an opinion because it's silly or ridiculous.

I do agree with one thing you said though - we can't wait for our next Disney cruise!

Meliador
12-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I haven't had the benefit of all of the prior threads on the subject, so apologies in advance if my proposal has been discussed ad vitam aeternam! :rolleyes1

Here is what i would suggest, which is very similar to other loyalty programs (e.g. American, Delta, BA etc). On many airline plans, you can achieve an elite status on either the number of miles flown (25K miles) or the number of segments completed (30). This was intended to capture not only those passengers who take cross-continent, transatlantic flights, but also the passenger who does inter-urban commuting (think NY-Boston) or "puddle flights."

Similarly, there could be 2 paths to achieve a gold or platinum status: (1) the number of cruises taken (as is currently the case); or (2) a minimum number of nights, whichever is achieved earliest.

As an example, let's try with "gold" status:

1) Current Program: I have to complete 5 cruises
- the minimum nights spent on DCL to achieve this status would be 15 nights (that is 5 cruises X 3 Nights Bahamas) or;

2) Proposal Second Path to Achieve Gold: 30 nights on DCL
- The earliest I can achieve this is by taking 2 TAs (14 nights X2= 28) *plus* One 3 Nights Bahamas cruise, for a total of 3 cruises/31 nights

If we do a crude comparison from a price standpoint: asssume cat 11C, for 2 adults in September (excluding transfer, insurance, etc):
3 Nights Bahamas: $998 (available Sept 29th)
WBTA: $2256
Approximate Money spent with DCL to Achieve "Gold CC"
• Under Path 1: $4990 --> 5 cruises --> 15 nights
• Under Path 2: $5510 --> 3 cruises --> 31 nights

Now for the Platinum Status:

1) Current Program: I have to complete 10 cruises
- the minimum number of nights to achieve this status would be 30 nights (that is 10 cruises X 3 Nights Bahamas) or;

2) Proposal Second Path to Achieve Platinum: 60 Nights on DCL

- the earliest I could achieve this would be 4 TAs (14 Nights X 4= 56) plus 7 Nights Caribbean (total 63 Nights);

If we do another (very) crude comparison from a price standpoint: asssume cat 11C (11B for the 7 Nights), for 2 adults in September (excluding transfer, insurance, etc):
7 Nights Caribbean: $1833

Approximate Money spent with DCL to Achieve "Platinum CC"
• Under Path 1: $9,980 ---> 10 cruises ---> 30 nights
• Under Path 2: $10,857 --> 5 cruises --> 63 nights

If you consider all the money that would be spent with Disney either way, I think that both paths show loyalty to the brand…it’s just a matter of how fast can DCL extract money from us! :rotfl:

I personally am a proud "silver" CC member, having completed my First Cruise ever (3 nights Bahamas). I loved every minute of it, and felt that it was way too short! I have already planned 2 more cruises with DCL, and cannot wait to go back (need to work on my new countdown ticker!). :banana:

kcashner
12-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Your proposal is quite reasonable. You might consider sending it to DCL!

Bottom line, they will never make everyone happy. I'm just glad they are rewarding me for my business.

Meliador
12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Totally agree with you KCashner!! I too am happy that they "do the extra mile" to continue earning my business!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I will propose this to DCL. To me, that may help a bit with smoothing the "rough edges" of the Program!! :thumbsup2

yogibigdog
12-28-2010, 10:29 PM
This is what is on the DCL site:
FAQsQuestion
How did you decide to recognize guests by the number of sailings they've been on rather than the total number of days sailed?

Answer
The enhancements made to the Castaway Club were based upon Guest feedback, which indicated Guests desired to be recognized by the number of times they have sailed with Disney Cruise Line. Additionally, most cruise line loyalty programs within the industry are based upon the number of times a guest has sailed (instead of individual days).

Meliador
12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I saw that too. Thanks for pointing this out. I am not familiar with loyalty programs from other cruise lines, but am (sadly way too) familiar with airlines loyalty programs.

I don't think it hurts to ask, and that will be another data point from their guests feedback. :idea:

kcashner
12-28-2010, 10:41 PM
:goodvibes
If we don't tell them what we want, there is little chance of it getting it. DCL does listen to guest feedback.

KSDisneyDad
12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
FAQsQuestion
How did you decide to recognize guests by the number of sailings they've been on rather than the total number of days sailed?

Answer
The enhancements made to the Castaway Club were based upon Guest feedback, which indicated Guests desired to be recognized by the number of times they have sailed with Disney Cruise Line. Additionally, most cruise line loyalty programs within the industry are based upon the number of times a guest has sailed (instead of individual days).

I too saw that, but wonder what their definition of "most" is.

CCL: Based on # of cruises
NCL: Based on # of cruises
RCCL: Receive an extra "credit" for cruises of 12 nights or longer and one for booking a suite. Thus, one cruise could get you three credits in their program.
Celebrity: Same as RCCL
HAL: Based on # of days
Oceania: Based on # of cruises
Princess: Based on either # of cruises OR # of days
Crystal: Based on # of cruises, but do get a credit for extra long cruises
Cunard: Based on # of cruises OR # of days
Regent: Based on # of nights

So based on this, there are only three lines (other than Disney) that rely exclusively on # of cruises (CCL; NCL and Oceania).

Granted, most cruise lines use # of cruises as one way to reach different reward levels, but then they also allow an extra cruise credit for longer cruises or have an alternative way to achieve the reward level based on # of days (similar to what a PP suggested). So if they want to go with pack mentality (as mentioned in their FAQ) and look at what most other cruise lines do, DCL should also provide some form of extra recognition for those who cruise on the handful of longer cruises that they offer.

I do agree with the posters that DCL encourages customer feedback and without it won't make any additional improvements such as the recent improvement to stratify the additional OBC by CC level similar to other lines.

KMovies
12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I look at it this way:

Who's more Loyal - someone was has went through the safety drill 5 times on their 3 cruises or 1 time on a 14 day cruise? Don't you hate the safety drill.

I wonder which ship is more profitable?

The Wonder: shorter cruises; typically cost more per night; more transfers assuming they make money off the bus rides; more gift shop sales as they have twice the number of guests? More documents to send since twice the number of people are cruising. Port workers work 2 cruises per week vs. 1 cruise per week.

The Magic: longer cruises; typically cost less per night; less transfers; maybe higher per person gift sales; does the average guest spend more than double since it is a longer cruise. Savings on port workers and cruise documents.

In my mind I would think the Wonder to be more profitable during regular operations. The overseas cruises on the Magic may be a different story but I am thinking a regular 3 and 4 night Wonder cruise may be more profitable than a 7 night Magic cruise.

In general, I would think people that take multiple short cruises would end up sending more than less longer cruises. But there are so many variables:

--- A family sailing every Summer vs. a family sailing every September is the same from a loyalty basis. Just that Disney makes more due to the Summer demand pricing.

--- A family in a suite on the Wonder for a 3 night will spend tons more than a family Cat 12 on a 7 night.

--- Those that sail at Thanksgiving or Christmas spend more money

Based on everything, I would say per cruise is probably the best way to go. I understand the longer cruise thing but I feel the longer cruises cost less per night so that is the trade off.

Which is more profitable: A value meal (a customer buys 3 items at a time for a discount) or buys a sandwich one day, fry the next, a drink the next and gets no discount. Each bought the same number of items but I would say the second customer is more loyal and did spend more money.

RJAYL
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I haven't had the benefit of all of the prior threads on the subject, so apologies in advance if my proposal has been discussed ad vitam aeternam! :rolleyes1

Here is what i would suggest, which is very similar to other loyalty programs (e.g. American, Delta, BA etc). On many airline plans, you can achieve an elite status on either the number of miles flown (25K miles) or the number of segments completed (30). This was intended to capture not only those passengers who take cross-continent, transatlantic flights, but also the passenger who does inter-urban commuting (think NY-Boston) or "puddle flights."

Similarly, there could be 2 paths to achieve a gold or platinum status: (1) the number of cruises taken (as is currently the case); or (2) a minimum number of nights, whichever is achieved earliest.

As an example, let's try with "gold" status:

1) Current Program: I have to complete 5 cruises
- the minimum nights spent on DCL to achieve this status would be 15 nights (that is 5 cruises X 3 Nights Bahamas) or;

2) Proposal Second Path to Achieve Gold: 30 nights on DCL
- The earliest I can achieve this is by taking 2 TAs (14 nights X2= 28) *plus* One 3 Nights Bahamas cruise, for a total of 3 cruises/31 nights

If we do a crude comparison from a price standpoint: asssume cat 11C, for 2 adults in September (excluding transfer, insurance, etc):
Approximate Money spent with DCL to Achieve "Gold CC"
• Under Path 1: $4990 --> 5 cruises --> 15 nights
• Under Path 2: $5510 --> 3 cruises --> 31 nights

Now for the Platinum Status:

1) Current Program: I have to complete 10 cruises
- the minimum number of nights to achieve this status would be 30 nights (that is 10 cruises X 3 Nights Bahamas) or;

2) Proposal Second Path to Achieve Platinum: 60 Nights on DCL

- the earliest I could achieve this would be 4 TAs (14 Nights X 4= 56) plus 7 Nights Caribbean (total 63 Nights);

If we do another (very) crude comparison from a price standpoint: asssume cat 11C (11B for the 7 Nights), for 2 adults in September (excluding transfer, insurance, etc):
7 Nights Caribbean: $1833

Approximate Money spent with DCL to Achieve "Platinum CC"
• Under Path 1: $9,980 ---> 10 cruises ---> 30 nights
• Under Path 2: $10,857 --> 5 cruises --> 63 nights

If you consider all the money that would be spent with Disney either way, I think that both paths show loyalty to the brand…it’s just a matter of how fast can DCL extract money from us! :rotfl:

I personally am a proud "silver" CC member, having completed my First Cruise ever (3 nights Bahamas). I loved every minute of it, and felt that it was way too short! I have already planned 2 more cruises with DCL, and cannot wait to go back (need to work on my new countdown ticker!). :banana:

Wow I have spent 6 figures on DCL & I am still not a Platinum member!

DMMarla07860
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Well I have nothing to complain about since I am platinum, but whenever this comes up the same thing pops into my head. I think number of cruises is a good way to get to each level, but if I was running it I'd do for 14 days or longer cruises count as 2 cruises.

MagicalPins
12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
FAQsQuestion

Answer

I wonder if Disney's official answer based upon Guest feedback might be skewed due to the fact that for every cruise of 7 nights or longer, there are 2 cruises of 3 or 4 nights. Basically twice the guests taking shorter cruises vs longer ones. Yeah, you are going to have more people saying they like it based on the number of sailings when you have twice the number of people that will be benefit from it.

As I said before, I feel its best to have number of sailings OR nights based on 7 night cruises so that way a 14 night cruise can at least get the same credit as 2 3-nighters. It looks the most fair for both sides. So you can reward those that can travel more often on shorter cruises and you can reward those that its harder to get away so they like to get away longer when they do.

KSDisneyDad
12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I look at it this way:

Who's more Loyal - someone was has went through the safety drill 5 times on their 3 cruises or 1 time on a 14 day cruise? Don't you hate the safety drill.

I wonder which ship is more profitable?

The Wonder: shorter cruises; typically cost more per night; more transfers assuming they make money off the bus rides; more gift shop sales as they have twice the number of guests? More documents to send since twice the number of people are cruising. Port workers work 2 cruises per week vs. 1 cruise per week.

The Magic: longer cruises; typically cost less per night; less transfers; maybe higher per person gift sales; does the average guest spend more than double since it is a longer cruise. Savings on port workers and cruise documents.

In my mind I would think the Wonder to be more profitable during regular operations. The overseas cruises on the Magic may be a different story but I am thinking a regular 3 and 4 night Wonder cruise may be more profitable than a 7 night Magic cruise.

In general, I would think people that take multiple short cruises would end up sending more than less longer cruises. But there are so many variables:

--- A family sailing every Summer vs. a family sailing every September is the same from a loyalty basis. Just that Disney makes more due to the Summer demand pricing.

--- A family in a suite on the Wonder for a 3 night will spend tons more than a family Cat 12 on a 7 night.

--- Those that sail at Thanksgiving or Christmas spend more money

Based on everything, I would say per cruise is probably the best way to go. I understand the longer cruise thing but I feel the longer cruises cost less per night so that is the trade off.

Which is more profitable: A value meal (a customer buys 3 items at a time for a discount) or buys a sandwich one day, fry the next, a drink the next and gets no discount. Each bought the same number of items but I would say the second customer is more loyal and did spend more money.

Looking at per day costs is irrelevant as that's purely driven by supply and demand (i.e. summer and Christmas are more expensive regardless of which ship you're on; Panama Canal cruises tend to be more expensive than TA's; etc.). On a per night basis, only the TA's are really less expensive per night and DCL has a hard time filling those ships as they only appeal to a relatively small percentage of the market. So the trade-off IMO should be to help DCL fill their empty ship, they give you two credits for the longer cruise like most other cruise lines do.

Also, I've seen many people post that they can go on back-to-back 3/4 night cruises for less than one 7-night. This sometimes holds true for normal Caribbean cruises, but it's almost always true when compared to Europe or Alaskan cruises. (I just randomly picked a cruise far in advance and noticed that if 2 adults did B2B Dream cruises in May 2012, it would cost $2,222 and if they instead chose a 7-night Eastern Fantasy cruise, the cost is $2,341). Thus, it's not always true that the shorter cruises cost more per night. Now, if someone wants to take two b2b cruises vs one 7-night, that's their perogative and more power to them getting two cruises under their belt. I don't see how doing less expensive b2b's makes those shorter-duration cruisers more loyal under your example than the family who choses to spend more money for a single 7-night cruise. Regardless, I'm not advocating DCL change their program for normal 3,4 5 and 7 night cruises. I'm just pointing out that with cruises and prices, no set of logic can really be applied that fits all situations.

I think most on here would agree that no matter what, it can't be fair to everyone and making it based on dollars spent is not practical for a variety of reasons. Again, I suggest making it similar to most of the cruise industry (and even similar airline programs) and not emulating Carnival. That would start with a per cruise program as you also advocate, but simply adding on an extra credit for the handful of longer cruises that Disney does. How many 12+ night cruises does Disney really do per year (4 to 6?) so it wouldn't affect too many people, but it does seem to be the same group of loyal customers who enjoy these longer cruises, but are treated differently than if they had chosen most any other cruise line.

Well I have nothing to complain about since I am platinum, but whenever this comes up the same thing pops into my head. I think number of cruises is a good way to get to each level, but if I was running it I'd do for 14 days or longer cruises count as 2 cruises.

I agree! :thumbsup2 This suggestion closely matches RCCL who I believe is DCL's biggest competitor with their new ships from a price standpoint.

I wonder if Disney's official answer based upon Guest feedback might be skewed due to the fact that for every cruise of 7 nights or longer, there are 2 cruises of 3 or 4 nights. Basically twice the guests taking shorter cruises vs longer ones. Yeah, you are going to have more people saying they like it based on the number of sailings when you have twice the number of people that will be benefit from it.

As I said before, I feel its best to have number of sailings OR nights based on 7 night cruises so that way a 14 night cruise can at least get the same credit as 2 3-nighters. It looks the most fair for both sides. So you can reward those that can travel more often on shorter cruises and you can reward those that its harder to get away so they like to get away longer when they do.

Again, well said! :thumbsup2

over50visits
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
CC levels should be based on whatever gives me the highest level. But, I'll have to couch the argument so I can use the word "fair" to advance my idea.

The most fair way would be (fill in idea here)...

I also think points should be DEDUCTED if you cruise on other lines or go to Universal.

dsnydaddy
12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
CC levels should be based on whatever gives me the highest level. But, I'll have to couch the argument so I can use the word "fair" to advance my idea.

I also think points should be DEDUCTED if you cruise on other lines or go to Universal.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

woody73
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I agree about awarding two credits for longer cruises.

While I'm already Platinum, this topic continues to be of interest to me. I predict that under the current DCL Castaway Club system, the number of Platinum level guests will become top heavy for the awards (such as receptions and VIP tours), and DCL will create a higher level (perhaps Platinum Plus). I want to be there when they do.

Woody

KSDisneyDad
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree about awarding two credits for longer cruises.

While I'm already Platinum, this topic continues to be of interest to me. I predict that under the current DCL Castaway Club system, the number of Platinum level guests will become top heavy for the awards (such as receptions and VIP tours), and DCL will create a higher level (perhaps Platinum Plus). I want to be there when they do.

Woody

I agree - it'll probably be a few years, but with the new ships, there will be a lot more Gold and Platinum members.

Having another tier seems common among cruise lines -- nearly all the other cruise lines have more than three levels (basically everyone but Disney and Carnival).

Princess Bette
12-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Our family chooses the shorter 4 and 5 night cruises because they work better for our son who is now 7. I think a 7 night would be too long for him personally. We sailed on the Wonder in March on a 4 night and it was perfect. We are sailing in July on the Dream on a 5 night - so excited. We had an oceanview room on the Wonder, but will have a "basement" room on deck 8 on the Dream!! lol :rotfl: Sorry, couldn't resist! As far as the number of cruises vs. the number of days cruised, I suppose I like it the way it is now. Although I do wish it didn't take as many cruises to reach Gold status! I must say that I do wish I lived in Florida so that I could get that discount!!! But we are just glad we are able to cruise with Mickey and his friends!! :dance3:

pixie08
12-30-2010, 07:06 PM

:rotfl::rotfl::laughing::scared1:

I have taken a 7 night, a 10 night med and now booked for a 5 night bahamas. We are thinking of taking a 7 night to Alaska.

I am a bit torn on the matter. I do feel 3-7 days should be counted as one point but I think over that (9,10,14 days) should possibly get bonus points. I understand the $$ spent should not be a sole point, but considering how much money we spent ONBOARD on the 10 night med cruise was craaaaazzzzy (not including the room). We booked a few excursions ranging in the hundreds of dollars per person (and booked around 5-6 excursions), spent waaaay too much time at the spa etc because of the port intensive days and our body aches (or that's what we told our selves anyway;)). Disney made a crazy fortune off of us on that cruise, regardless of the room category. After all it is excursions and merchandise they make the most money on and on longer sailings you spend more. Granted I know the argument that they could have two turn overs in that time, but trust me the longer night sailings are usually to places like the med or transatlantic etc where the excursions cost way, way more than any of the Caribbean or bahamian excursions, and imo that should be worth something.

Brooklyn
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I am with you...

I have done
14 Nights
7 Nights
7 Nights
14 Nights
11 Nights
15 Nights
2 Nights
4 Nights
-----------
Total 74 Nights and I am gold. Kind of crazy when 30 nights can get you platinum.

Next up are 7 nights and a 4 night. So by the time I become platinum I will have sailed for 85 nights. There def seems to be a disconnect there!