PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 hr flight...Should I still come a day early?

kimberleeJohnston
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi,
Last time we cruised we came from Calgary to orlando on a 5 hr flight, so we obviously flew in the day prior.
This time when we cruise the Wonder from LA it is only a 2.5 hour flight.

My question....if I took the early flight, do you really think I need to fly in a whole day early as suggested and pay for hotels and such?

Thank you!

5lilfish
12-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi,
Last time we cruised we came from Calgary to orlando on a 5 hr flight, so we obviously flew in the day prior.

My question....if I took the early flight, do you really think I need to fly in a whole day early as suggested and pay for hotels and such?

Thank you!

I'd always recommend flying in a day before your cruise. That gives you a much better cushion to combat Murphy's Law. Also, getting there a day before makes you much fresher for your first day onboard.

Jess

kcashner
12-22-2010, 08:37 PM
It is ALWAYS better to arrive a day early if you can. You never know when there will be a mechanical issue with a plane, problems with air traffic control...and always the weather issues. (I've had all 3 of these on various trips). The fact that you came in a day early means that IF anything happens, you have options and are much less likely to miss the ship.

As to costs...I get a 2.5* room on Priceline. At this level in the MCO area, all include a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and a breakfast the next morning. The hotels are different, but all decent. I generally start bidding at $29 and increase by $2 till I get it--I usually get the bid at about $33-35 although one time I had to go to $39. Add about $10 for taxes and fees, and my "insurance" of coming in the night before cost me under $50.

Then I get on the ship well rested and ready to vacation, not catching a 6 am flight, etc.

kimberleeJohnston
12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
This is true. Our plan is to fly in the day before, I just thought I would get some opinions. I would much prefer to spend money onboard than a hotel..lol
The only bonus to a day before is we could attend a character breakfast that AM...hmmm now you have my gears cranking!
Thank you!

justmestace
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I live in Arizona, and it's only an hour flight, but I still come in the day before. I don't want to have to worry about cancellations of flights. Even if it's nice and sunny here, my plane could be coming from somewhere that the weather is bad and the flight could be cancelled. Then I'd have the hassle of trying to get on another flight, and they're always full.

Besides, it's nice to be there and just chill, knowing there's no way you'll miss the cruise.
If you stay somewhere like the Doubletree, near the port, there's an area nearby with nice restaurants and shops to look at. Or you could visit the Aquarium or the Queen Mary.

kimberleeJohnston
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
It is ALWAYS better to arrive a day early if you can. You never know when there will be a mechanical issue with a plane, problems with air traffic control...and always the weather issues. (I've had all 3 of these on various trips). The fact that you came in a day early means that IF anything happens, you have options and are much less likely to miss the ship.

As to costs...I get a 2.5* room on Priceline. At this level in the MCO area, all include a complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and a breakfast the next morning. The hotels are different, but all decent. I generally start bidding at $29 and increase by $2 till I get it--I usually get the bid at about $33-35 although one time I had to go to $39. Add about $10 for taxes and fees, and my "insurance" of coming in the night before cost me under $50.

Then I get on the ship well rested and ready to vacation, not catching a 6 am flight, etc.

Thank you!
I would rather be stress free I guess. The day before is the best way! Thank you for your insight.

kimberleeJohnston
12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I live in Arizona, and it's only an hour flight, but I still come in the day before. I don't want to have to worry about cancellations of flights. Even if it's nice and sunny here, my plane could be coming from somewhere that the weather is bad and the flight could be cancelled. Then I'd have the hassle of trying to get on another flight, and they're always full.

Besides, it's nice to be there and just chill, knowing there's no way you'll miss the cruise.
If you stay somewhere like the Doubletree, near the port, there's an area nearby with nice restaurants and shops to look at. Or you could visit the Aquarium or the Queen Mary.

That's a great idea! I didn't really think about what we could do the day before, but I guess there is quite a bit we could fill our time with.
Thank you!

DisneyDream2B
12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
We're flying in a couple of days early, to visit Port Canaveral, and to make the short trip to Disney's port very easy.

ruadisneyfan2
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Another vote for flying in day/night before. This from someone who has had luggage delays twice. Once when flying same day (1st cruise), 2nd time when flying day before. It's so much nicer to not have to get up at 3 am to be at the airport by 4 am for 6 am flight.

We are sort of in the same 'boat' as you but flying down the east coast. Philly to MCO is around 2.5 hrs.

Even in warm weather I'd fly down day before. Fog, Tstorms, mechanical issues, etc. Too many variables.

As pp said, check out Priceline or Hotwire and save yourself a lot of potential stress. (and $$)

kcashner
12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Even if flying in the day before means an after school/after work flight on Friday evening (so we DO nothing other than go to hotel and sleep), it is worth being relaxed and stress free the next morning.

kimberleeJohnston
12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Another vote for flying in day/night before. This from someone who has had luggage delays twice. Once when flying same day (1st cruise), 2nd time when flying day before. It's so much nicer to not have to get up at 3 am to be at the airport by 4 am for 6 am flight.

We are sort of in the same 'boat' as you but flying down the east coast. Philly to MCO is around 2.5 hrs.

Even in warm weather I'd fly down day before. Fog, Tstorms, mechanical issues, etc. Too many variables.

As pp said, check out Priceline or Hotwire and save yourself a lot of potential stress. (and $$)

I didn't even think about lost luggage. Thank God for DIS boards. I appreciate your response!

ruadisneyfan2
12-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Even if flying in the day before means an after school/after work flight on Friday evening (so we DO nothing other than go to hotel and sleep), it is worth being relaxed and stress free the next morning.

Yes, that's exactly what we do. :thumbsup2 Head to PHL right after school and pick up a quick dinner by the gate.

RAD
12-22-2010, 09:06 PM
With how airlines run things so tight these days a weather problem anywhere can cause you flight to be cancelled/delayed. I also vote for coming in the prior day.

MinnesotaMouseketeers
12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
We always fly in the day before. Here is an excellent example why. I brought friends to the airport today, the plane was to leave at 7:50 AM didn't get out until 1:30 PM.

Made an edit, don't know what I was thinking first time but the flight out was really at 7:50 AM that is now written(not 11:30 AM). So the flight was 5.5 hours late taking off.

kreedham
12-22-2010, 11:06 PM
I'll shorten the story but we weren't far from missing our 1st Disney Cruise. Flight (day of) scheduled at 8 a.m. Close to flight weather started getting bad so airline let us change to the night before! Supposed to leave at 10:30 p.m, got on plane, sat on plane, deiced 3 or 4 times, finally took off 1/2 hr before original flight...airport closed shortly after!

Now it's always night before!

mommy_grrl
12-23-2010, 04:56 AM
I'll second that...this is a few years back in my single (i.e., we want to save our money for the bar tab:laughing:) years....early flight from Chicago...mechanical difficulties....off the plane to wait...switched to another plane...mechanical difficulties on THAT plane.

Made it to FL, luggage comes off the carousel...along with all of the clothes in one of our friend's suitcases, as they broke the suitcase. We spent another twenty minutes rounding up boxer shorts and tshirts :rotfl: and the running to the boat.

Never, ever again.

Euchre_U
12-25-2010, 04:53 PM
We are too scared of weather / mechanical aircraft delays, so we always try to get to the port the night before the cruise.

Unless you book your air through Disney, the boat will sail with or without you on-board. I'm guessing even if you do book through Disney, the boat won't take more than a 30 or 45 minute departure delay for guests arriving on a "late" flight.

rcchello
12-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I used to fly alot on business and can't tell you the number of times I got to my destination 3 hours or more late.

The plane hasn't left the previous airport yet. It is too hot for the larger aircraft to be allowed on the runway (asphalt gets soft). Theres rain in the midwest and they have cancelled flight out of Chicago (but I am leaving out of NJ?). Some idiot walked in the out and they shut down the terminal for 2 hours. Someone left their diaper bag unattended and they had to call the bombsquad.

If any of these things happened the day of my cruise, I would be a wreck even if I made it in time. Now I just plan in that extra nights cushion.

I have arrived on time or near ontime most of the time, but this is one case I don't take chances.

True Romance
12-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi,

Thank you!

Kimberlee, just noticed you are on the 4/17/10 on the Wonder, you should come join our meet thread. I also am on that cruise and was on the 10/17/09 Magic too. How funny!