PDA

View Full Version : Med Cruisers -- favorite excursion?

thinkoflaura
12-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi all!
We're doing our first cruise ever -- 10 days in the Med -- next June! :cool1:

And the serious planning has begun! Just wondering, for all you vets out there, what was your #1 favorite Mediterranean excursion? I'm interested in your favorite one that you either booked through DCL, an outside company... or if you did it all on your own, please share your memories, insight and suggestions.

We'll be traveling with our daughter who will be 6 at cruise time. So if your kids had a favorite excursion or site, let me know too!!!

thanks!!!

jlwhitney
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Here is a link from our trip:

www.philandjensbigadventure.blogspot.com

We loved it all. I will say do not book all day excursions everyday or at least go on your own a day or two. By the end we were getting worn out of being in groups.

The jeep tour in Tunisia is a must if you want to avoid the markets and such. It was neat since we got to see so much of the countryside.

Let me know if you have any questions.

thinkoflaura
12-23-2010, 10:49 AM
thank you so much for your reply!

we are thinking of springing for 1 or 2 group excursions and then we'll do everything else on our own.

my husband speaks arabic so I am hoping he will be able to coordinate something with a taxi driver in Tunis... but i will check out the 4x4 excursion for sure!

also - is there anything to do in Corsica on our own, I wonder?

jlwhitney
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
For Corisica there is not a ton to do on your own, you can walk through the town (ajaccio) which is where napoleon bonaparte was born and see a lot of stuff dedicated to him and statues (we didn't bother with the town at all). The excursion we did Les Calanches was really worth it, a lot of driving but absoutley gorgeous views. We even got to see snow capped mountain in the distance.

If you are only going to do 1-2 excursions, I defiantly recommed Les Calanches, Blue Grotto in Malta (we walked around the city in the morning and then did the excursion after lunch),or the Jeep 4x4.

All three Italy ports are very doable on your own. The only one I would feel the strong need for an excursion is if you go to florence since it is like 2.5 hr bus ride away. If florence or pisa is not a must do, defiantly consider the cinque terre (one of my favorite places)