PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards onboard

Belle102498
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone!

I heard that you can use gift cards in place of your credit card for your on board account. To whom do I give these cards to when we arrive on the ship? I am also planning on giving them my credit card number, but have slowly been accumulating gift cards. Do they use the gift cards first and then go on to the credit card? I am just a little confused seeing as how this is our first time cruising. Thanks so much for any info you can give! :hug:

dursin
12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone!

I heard that you can use gift cards in place of your credit card for your on board account. To whom do I give these cards to when we arrive on the ship? I am also planning on giving them my credit card number, but have slowly been accumulating gift cards. Do they use the gift cards first and then go on to the credit card? I am just a little confused seeing as how this is our first time cruising. Thanks so much for any info you can give! :hug:
They will use the gift cards to credit your onboard account. I think that would be exhausted first before they start putting additional charges on a credit card.

MagicalPins
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
You can apply them to your account at Guest Servies on the ship. And it would make sense for you to be able to aplly them at check in or prior by calling but I know for sure you can take care of it at guest services.

Mmketeer
12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
I hear you, I saved Disney GC's from gifts for two years and just used them on my Thanksgiving cruise. First, you will still need to give them a real credit card for charging purposes. Gift cards can be turned into Guest Services after the ship gets out to sea (not while still parked at the terminal). Keep in mind these gc's once handed over to Guest Services are non-refundable. My suggestion is wait till closer to the end of your cruise to turn them in. Anything you then still have owed on your onboard account can then be paid off by cash or charged to that credit card you gave them. If you want to rebook on board for your next cruise (which I reccomend), your onboard account can not be used for this. We were really surprised to find that out- bummer as I wanted to specifically use my GC's for that exact purpose. So, make sure the credit card you put on file to use can be also be used for a deposit on your next cruise-it's pretty cheap though, I think was only $113 for a deposit for two on a 3 nighter for the Dream.
Lastly, don't panic if you've turned your GC's into Guest Serices and don't use them all up on your onboard spending account. Not all Guest Service agents know this, but you can plan on using whatever amount you didn't use to buy more Disney Gift Cards in Mickey's Mates. And you know what? Those Gift Cards have the Disney Cruiseline Logo on them, but can still be used everywhere like at the parks just like ones you can buy at your local store. They are way cool cards!

I am asking for more Disney Gift cards for Christmas and my birthday as you can also use them to make a payment online for your next cruise! I've got my next one half way paid off!

kcashner
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
They will use first any "free" onboard credit that you might have from using a Disney Visa to pay for the cruise, from a TA as a "thanks for booking" or whatever. Next, they apply any gift cards, reward dollars, etc., and last they place charges to your credit card.

SpideyHulk24
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Great info! Thank you!

Belle102498
12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the great information! I so appreciate it! :worship:

simbasmom2
12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
I called DCL about 2 weeks ago and asked if we could use GCs for a down payment on a future cruise. They said anything you charge to your room account you can pay with GCs. Now I am concerned. :confused3 Should I not buy enough for a down payment? I like buying the GCs for fuel perks at Giant Eagle. So far between airfare and cruise payments my DH has received 450.00 in free gas for his truck! Awesome! :yay:

WeLuvDCL
12-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I called DCL about 2 weeks ago and asked if we could use GCs for a down payment on a future cruise. They said anything you charge to your room account you can pay with GCs. Now I am concerned. :confused3 Should I not buy enough for a down payment? I like buying the GCs for fuel perks at Giant Eagle. So far between airfare and cruise payments my DH has received 450.00 in free gas for his truck! Awesome! :yay:

That is correct. Future cruise down payment is not charged to your room account, it is charged directly to your credit card on file. You will not see the cruise deposit on your onbaord purchase summary at the end fo the cruise. Hence, I don't think you can use GC for the future cruise deposit.

dream2011
12-22-2010, 09:32 PM
thanks for the info on the gift card redemtion process. I am glad to see I am not the only one saving gift cards.......Dream2011:idea:

kcashner
12-22-2010, 10:28 PM
COrrect...onboard rebooking deposits are NOT charged to shipboard account. They are billed directly to your credit card unless you choose another method to pay it.