PDA

View Full Version : Kids and options of spending on board

czkmom
12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Just wondering if there is anything besides the arcade/smoothies/and the coffee bar (17 year old) that my 9/14/17 could accidently spend money on excessively.....

If they go to the arcade, can you buy a limit of some sort or is it just a "hand over your room card and we'll charge away" type of thing?

How much are smoothies? Coffee drinks? Maybe a budget of "one a day on sea days or something could be a help in this situation.

Thanks

TAKitty
12-22-2010, 02:33 PM
You can set a limit on the kids' cards. Figure about 4 for a smoothie. My kids really just liked going to get free pop and ice cream. They didn't go in the arcade at all.

owensamo
12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Not to start any flames or controversy, but just a heads-up, so you're prepared for the possibility.

You might have to buy the coffees for your 17-yo yourself, since the Cove Cafe is in the Adult-only area. I don't know if they'll serve coffee to under-18s, who technically shouldn't be in there.

Edited to add:

That said, Smoothies and Arcade would probably be it for kids, beyond the obvious souvenir shopping in the stores. Just make sure to tell them *not* to get sodas at the bars, but at the drink station only. All food available to kids should be included.

One other thing - if you have any excursions planned, those charges will hit against each individual's card - so the kids' excursion fees will be charged to their own room key - even if they don't have charging. I don't know how that would work if they have a set limit on their card - whether that would max it out or not.

tvguy
12-22-2010, 03:04 PM
My kids were so busy with the free stuff, they never spend anything....well, DS spent $6 on dry cleaning when he got a spot on his tie. We cruised before free soda, but both kids enjoyed the fruit punch at topsiders, never bought a beverage.

Tinkerkell123
12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
When we cruised in January I was told we could not limit spending on the kids cards. It was full access or none at all. From what a PP said, that has changed so you can put a limit on it? Or did you mean you just told them what their limit was? Hoping that DCL will let us put a limit on their cards this time...

NAB
12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I think you can purchase an arcade card in the arcade using your key card then they can just carry that card around. Mind you my son was not in there much since they have video games they can play in the club.

kcashner
12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Unless something has changed, there is NO way to limit charging on a card--it either has charging or does not. You have to talk with your child and have a good understanding.

Arcade is easy--you buy an arcade card for $10. You can then add to the card as you wish, but a child does not need charging to be able to use the arcade card. Most people never use the arcade.

Smoothies are a bit over $4. Internet is 75 cents per minute or cheaper if you buy a package. The sky is the limit if they do bingo, gift shops, etc.

What I do--give DD a set amount for the cruise (typically $50 for 7 nights). This allows a smoothie or whatever, but no serious spending. Then I tell her that anything she doesn't spend on the cruise, I'll give her in cash when we get off the ship (so she doesn't feel it's a "use it or lose it.")

There is NOTHING in the programming that they need money for. If it is "smoothie hour," the smoothies are free during that time. If it is the tween group in the arcade, the machines are set to free play during that time. If it is make a t-shirt, they get a free shirt IF they are participating in that activity. This applies at all age levels--no matter what the activity on board as part of the programming, all costs are part of the program; no additional supply charges.