PDA

View Full Version : First Cruise...Tipping?

turbo teacher
12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
We are cruising on the Wonder - Mexican Riv - in Feb. It is our first cruise. It is me, my hubby and 5 year old daughter. I want to set aside some $$ for tipping? Can someone provide a breakdown on what is "expected" for tipping? Do you tip each person in your "service" team - room attendant, head server, main server...etc...? :confused:

I know it is dependent on quality of service...but I've heard so many conflicting reports here about the actual AMOUNT that people tipped. Some give a dollar amount per person per day. And others say, per attendant a % of your bill...

Can you post what you've done for tipping in the recent past? Thanks so much!

dursin
12-22-2010, 12:44 PM
We are cruising on the Wonder - Mexican Riv - in Feb. It is our first cruise. It is me, my hubby and 5 year old daughter. I want to set aside some $$ for tipping? Can someone provide a breakdown on what is "expected" for tipping? Do you tip each person in your "service" team - room attendant, head server, main server...etc...? :confused:

I know it is dependent on quality of service...but I've heard so many conflicting reports here about the actual AMOUNT that people tipped. Some give a dollar amount per person per day. And others say, per attendant a % of your bill...

Can you post what you've done for tipping in the recent past? Thanks so much!
If you budget $12 per person per day, plus a few dollars for room service and the people who handle your baggage, you should be ok. Gratuity is automatically added to all drink orders and is included in the Palo service change if you decide to dine there.

Here are the guidelines from the FAQ on the DCL site:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

zerog
12-22-2010, 01:06 PM
For my last cruise, I stopped by several banks to get $2 bills and some $1 gold coins. I had an assortment of the new (very shiny) Lincoln coins, plus William Harrison and Sacagawea Golden Dollars.

I tipped the luggage porters and room service with the $2 bills. For the room steward and waiters, I topped off their tips with both (bills and an assortment of coins). The room steward saw me in the hall later and was so gracious for the additional 'cool' currency. Same with the head waiter. He told me he collected foreign money and this was something he did not have.

These people worked very hard to make our vacation special. I was glad I could do something a little out of the ordinary to show them that their work was appreciated.

dursin
12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
For my last cruise, I stopped by several banks to get $2 bills and some $1 gold coins. I had an assortment of the new (very shiny) Lincoln coins, plus William Harrison and Sacagawea Golden Dollars.

I tipped the luggage porters and room service with the $2 bills. For the room steward and waiters, I topped off their tips with both (bills and an assortment of coins). The room steward saw me in the hall later and was so gracious for the additional 'cool' currency. Same with the head waiter. He told me he collected foreign money and this was something he did not have.

These people worked very hard to make our vacation special. I was glad I could do something a little out of the ordinary to show them that their work was appreciated.
That's a nice idea. A couple years ago I would carry some old silver certificates to tip with, but I really don't think anyone appreciated getting them so I stopped doing it.

kcashner
12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Tipping is probably the hottest topic on the boards. That said, the "suggested" tips total $12 per guest per night of the cruise and are typically given on the last evening of the cruise. You will have tip envelopes provided in your stateroom a day or so in advance.

You can charge your tips by completing a form (which will also be placed in your room) and dropping it at Guest Services. YOU indicate the amount of tip for each person and will get a coupon for the tip--1/2 goes to the CM in the envelope, the other half is for your records. VERY easy.

You can also choose to tip with cash, or can supplement your charged tips with cash if desired.

If you use the porters at the terminal, they get an additional tip. It is also customary to tip room service.

You need to be aware that there is an automatic gratuity included with any bar item you purchase (whether it contains alcohol or not). There is also a line where you can add any additional gratuity. Many people are not aware that they have already paid a 15% tip when they see the tip line.

Since OP asked for a personal "what you do," I use the suggested tip as the minimum. If the service is decent, but not totally over the top, this is what I tip--I consider it to basically be the CM's pay check. Typically the service IS exceptional and I reward this with an increased tip.

DisneyDream2B
12-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I like to include a personal thank you note with tips, making note of a particular service I appreciated.

Beachmum
12-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't think anyone likes getting $2 bills or $1 coins. For most of us, they're something that's likely to be spent inaccurately (for the coins) or gotten rid of (for the bills). I'd carry a whole mess of $1 bills and tip with those. Although I'm sure there are some people who appreciate creative tips, I would bet that most like regular cash that they can use.

(As a side note, when my older daughter lost her first tooth, we thought she'd like the dollar coins from the tooth fairy. When she lost her second tooth, she wrote the tooth fairy a note asking for a bill instead of a coin.)

zerog
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think anyone likes getting $2 bills or $1 coins. For most of us, they're something that's likely to be spent inaccurately

I don't know if everyone thinks that way. But hey.. I think people usually look at the bill denomination when they hand someone a payment.

Anywho, I didn't tip the waiter and room steward with all $2 bills and coins. I threw a few on top of 20s as an added bonus. Both were appreciative of this unique currency, as they told me later.

I think given a choice of a $50 tip or a $50 tip with a few $2 bills and gold coins, I think most people would choose the latter option. :confused3

heymoonkid
12-27-2010, 02:29 PM
We just got our little cruise booklet in the mail with our documents and luggage tags. On the Gratuity Guidelines page, here is what it says:

7-night Cruise Gratuity Suggestions
(per person, including children)
Restaurant Server $28.00
Restaurant Assistant Server $21.00
Head Server $7.00
Stateroom Host(ess) $28.00
Room Service Your Discretion

So following those guidelines, each cruiser would pay $84 in tips on a 7-nighter... so I guess that's where the $12 a day figure comes from. And that will work out to $336 in tips for our family of 4, which is 2 adults plus a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old... but we may leave our baby in Flounder's during dinner a few nights.

dancing4life
01-30-2012, 09:43 PM
:goodvibes

renee123
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
We just got our little cruise booklet in the mail with our documents and luggage tags. On the Gratuity Guidelines page, here is what it says:

7-night Cruise Gratuity Suggestions
(per person, including children)
Restaurant Server $28.00
Restaurant Assistant Server $21.00
Head Server $7.00
Stateroom Host(ess) $28.00
Room Service Your Discretion

So following those guidelines, each cruiser would pay $84 in tips on a 7-nighter... so I guess that's where the $12 a day figure comes from. And that will work out to $336 in tips for our family of 4, which is 2 adults plus a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old... but we may leave our baby in Flounder's during dinner a few nights.
My tips were automatically billed to my account. This was the new policy on the magic. You are charged exactly as you listed. It's not optional anymore.

kcashner
01-30-2012, 09:58 PM
My tips were automatically billed to my account. This was the new policy on the magic. You are charged exactly as you listed. It's not optional anymore.

It is still optional, only now the default on the Magic is to have it billed to your account. You can change this at any time during the cruise by going to GS. You can change the amount, make the charge zero if you prefer to use cash, or whatever you wish. If you do nothing, the "suggested" amount will be charged to you account. This started on the Med where some people weren't used to AMerican style tipping and the CMs were getting stiffed.

Why it has continued only on the Magic--I don't know. I would have expected it to move to all the ships or for the Magic to go back to the old way, especially with the push to keep everything the same on all ships. Whatever...for us it is a trip to GS either way--to increase tips if they do it as they are now or to do a charge when they are doing the old system.

extechie rbd/wdt
01-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Sorry, You are wrong.

You can change your tip amount at any time by visiting GS.

Ex Techie :)

jaydoe
01-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Tipping has me a little confused too. I will taking my first cruise in May. I understand the average $12 per day per person. What I don't quite understand is what or who that covers? Also, as I understand it, tips are given at the end of the cruise. Should I wait to tip the person who cleans my room each night...or leave a tip each day, like you would at a hotel??? :confused3

TheLanes
01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't think anyone likes getting $2 bills or $1 coins. For most of us, they're something that's likely to be spent inaccurately (for the coins) or gotten rid of (for the bills). I'd carry a whole mess of $1 bills and tip with those. Although I'm sure there are some people who appreciate creative tips, I would bet that most like regular cash that they can use.

(As a side note, when my older daughter lost her first tooth, we thought she'd like the dollar coins from the tooth fairy. When she lost her second tooth, she wrote the tooth fairy a note asking for a bill instead of a coin.)

What's wrong with $20 bills?

kcashner
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Tipping has me a little confused too. I will taking my first cruise in May. I understand the average $12 per day per person. What I don't quite understand is what or who that covers? Also, as I understand it, tips are given at the end of the cruise. Should I wait to tip the person who cleans my room each night...or leave a tip each day, like you would at a hotel??? :confused3

As with most other things, DCL makes this as easy as possible. On the second to last day, you will get tip envelopes in your cabin along with a charge form. If you wish to charge the tips, complete and sign the form and drop it in the box by Guest Services--you will get tip coupons delivered to your stateroom later that day.

Place either the coupon or cash in the envelope, sign it, and give it to the appropriate CM that evening, The CMs who get the tips are the head server, server, assistant server, and stateroom host. The form makes it very clear who should get what, as does the info in the document book you'll get. Yes, the suggested total is $12 per guest per night of cruise...so if you are on a 3 night cruise, the total is $36 per guest.

Head server $1 per guest per night + $3 on 3 night cruise
Server and stateroom host $4 per night = $12 each on 3 night cruise
Assistant server = $3 per night per guest = $9 for 3 night cruise.

SO..if there are 4 of you in the room, multiply those amounts by 4.

SO NO, you do not tip each day--you wait till the last night.

Spectrum
01-31-2012, 05:56 AM
What about servers for sit down lunches and breakfasts?

Brandis
01-31-2012, 10:11 AM
What about servers for sit down lunches and breakfasts?

Those are the same servers as for dinner. So you tip them already with the tip at the end of the cruise. While you might not be served by YOUR dinner waiters at breakfast or lunch, they also work in the dining room in the evening, so they get tipped by THEIR guests.

Lainey321
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Okay, bear with me here, I just want to make sure I understand...my dh and I and our 2 daughters (13 & 9):confused: will be taking a 5 night cruise in May. According to my calculations our tip would be $240 ($12 * 4ppl * 5 nights) right? :confused:

kcashner
01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Okay, bear with me here, I just want to make sure I understand...my dh and I and our 2 daughters (13 & 9):confused: will be taking a 5 night cruise in May. According to my calculations our tip would be $240 ($12 * 4ppl * 5 nights) right? :confused:

Correct.

Also, as above, tips for breakfast and lunch are part of the tip that you give at dinner. You may be served by other people, but your servers are working somewhere. The tip at dinner represents the tip for all the service you received in any dining room and/or fast food outlet during the cruise with the exception of adult only dining and bars.

kcashner
01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes, I am well aware that DCL says that the tip is included in the fee for adult dining. However, many people choose to leave an additional tip at these venues.

Brandis
01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
The tip at dinner represents the tip for all the service you received in any dining room and/or fast food outlet during the cruise with the exception of adult only dining and bars.

In the DCL FAQ (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/) it says about tipping at Palo: "Gratuity included".

Namsupak
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
In the DCL FAQ (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/) it says about tipping at Palo: "Gratuity included".

Oh this tipping thing is one of the hottest issues on the board every week. So just a few more comments about tipping that have not been made yet. While it does say this about the Palo dining, often people tip on top of the Palo fee. For example the Palo fee is $20 per person, we often leave 20 on top of this. If you search the boards there are several arguments that the Palo servers get a very small portion of the extra fee to dine at Palo, and then there are arguments that they get a larger portion of it. Without DCL making a solid statement about this percentage we can not know for sure.

Also Room service tipping is extra but not automatic, we generally tip $3-5 per visit depending on the amount we order and also if the room service person has to setup a table or not (when we are in concierge for example).

While most people don't we also tip extra if we dine and get excellent table service for lunch or breakfast.

The whole tipping thing is very controversial but do what you feel most comfortable and recognize when people give you great service.

usafvet
02-01-2012, 12:43 AM
What if you're a cheapskate and don't want to tip?

Just kidding. :)

So, to confirm, it is customary to tip $12 per person per day. A family of 4 = $48 per day. And if utilizing room service, $3-$5 per visit.

Out of curiosity, can one bring food into their stateroom? For example, if one doesn't finish their dinner for whatever reason, can they take it with them? Or can one bring down a drink from the beverage station to the room?

If that is possible, I doubt we'd use room service much, though I'm sure we'd use it occassionally just to be pampered a little.

Also, here is a question that I haven't seen addressed (at least on here): on terms of tipping for spa treatments (like massages, etc)...how would that work? Could that tipping be done at the end of the cruise or is it customary to tip on the spot? How much should one tip for something like a massage?

Forgive my ignorance...I guess that is what these forums are for.

Tinker74
02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Please forgive me..iam from the UK so we are not used to all this tipping..:rotfl2:...At WDW I always tip 18% at meals so that is easy enough....But Iam confused about the tipping on the cruise.

Can anyone just tell me how much I put in each envelope at the end of a 4 night cruise? There will be 4 envelopes..is that right?

there will be 3 of us on the cruise and I will use the amounts you give me as a minimum..tipping more if Iam happy.

Thanks so much..I want to be careful I don't stiff anyone.:)

ForTheLoveOfDCL
02-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I just wanna say that I have never came across serving staff that weren't deserving of the suggested amount. Certain things that lead to higher tips are little things like Asst server after a couple of nights to learn about us, that the drinks are there when I arrive or brought out when we walk in....it's something little but honestly I swear I am parched every night I go to dinner...LOL If you are great with my kids you are definately scoring big points. After a couple nights I hope my room attendent notices we return after dinner so either draw down the beds during first seating or during the show....Sometimes the kids like to get in their jammies for the show....that started when they were little and to this day after many cruises feel at home onboard so jammies it is.

I believe $112 for server is suggested for family of 4....we have never tipped that cheap.
some of our asst servers have only gotten suggested.
We also tip our porters at least $2-3 a bag..normally have 5 bags so I give about $15...gets the higher amt if he gets me out of there fast...LOL
Also tip the hair braiding girls....usually about $6
room service about $4-6...like PP said depends on how much we order. we tend not to order much, just a little snack like pirate night when the line for buffet is crazy and we don't care to wait and the other places are closed. =(

Anyhow, I think the servers earn every dime, regardless if you go or not...

ForTheLoveOfDCL
02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
I just wanna say that I have never came across serving staff that weren't deserving of the suggested amount. Certain things that lead to higher tips are little things like Asst server after a couple of nights to learn about us, that the drinks are there when I arrive or brought out when we walk in....it's something little but honestly I swear I am parched every night I go to dinner...LOL If you are great with my kids you are definately scoring big points. After a couple nights I hope my room attendent notices we return after dinner so either draw down the beds during first seating or during the show....Sometimes the kids like to get in their jammies for the show....that started when they were little and to this day after many cruises feel at home onboard so jammies it is.

I believe $112 for server is suggested for family of 4....we have never tipped that cheap.
some of our asst servers have only gotten suggested.
We also tip our porters at least $2-3 a bag..normally have 5 bags so I give about $15...gets the higher amt if he gets me out of there fast...LOL
Also tip the hair braiding girls....usually about $6
room service about $4-6...like PP said depends on how much we order. we tend not to order much, just a little snack like pirate night when the line for buffet is crazy and we don't care to wait and the other places are closed. =(

Anyhow, I think the servers earn every dime, regardless if you go or not...

sdjen
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
In regards to the spa. It is customary to tip at the time of service. They will bring you a receipt to sign and you can add a tip before signing. 15-20% is customary.

uziel5000
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Okay, okay, okay...

This is all well and good but what if you want to pay your tips ahead of time? Like when you pay for the rest of the cruise? Can you do that.

I just like to get that out of the way. If a CM (or CM's) go out of their way to make us feel good, I have no problem adding more but as far as the "base" tipping suggested by DCL (and other cruise lines) I look at it as just base salary for the CM's that the cruise lines don't pay so the cruise will seem cheaper.

Can I pay my tips in advance?

super mike b
02-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I really liked the fact that they charged the tips to our room on the last Magic cruise that we did. I think that it keeps the guests honest. Of course we always tip way more as well. :)

sdeal
02-01-2012, 07:00 PM
This isnt't about tipping...but when are you cruising in May? We are on the May 27 Dream cruise....

Phil'sFrontier
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Is it ok to tip in Canadian dollars? Right now the American and Canadian dollars are basically equal. I was thinking of getting a roll of toonies, and loonies.

Namsupak
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Okay, okay, okay...

This is all well and good but what if you want to pay your tips ahead of time? Like when you pay for the rest of the cruise? Can you do that.

I just like to get that out of the way. If a CM (or CM's) go out of their way to make us feel good, I have no problem adding more but as far as the "base" tipping suggested by DCL (and other cruise lines) I look at it as just base salary for the CM's that the cruise lines don't pay so the cruise will seem cheaper.

Can I pay my tips in advance?

You can just call DCL and do it, or if you used a travel agent it can be done ahead of time through them. When you get onboard you should be able to check with guest services if you want be make sure it was done.

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Is it ok to tip in Canadian dollars? Right now the American and Canadian dollars are basically equal. I was thinking of getting a roll of toonies, and loonies.

That may be bad for two reasons one they would have to exchange them if they can't use them in Canada and two a lot of people here on the Dis have reported that when they asked there servers which they prefer the tips charged to the room or cash. Most have said they prefer to have them charged as they can send that money back home to there families easier then they can with cash. Also getting cash on board is not really a problem for them.

ForTheLoveOfDCL
02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
That may be bad for two reasons one they would have to exchange them if they can't use them in Canada and two a lot of people here on the Dis have reported that when they asked there servers which they prefer the tips charged to the room or cash. Most have said they prefer to have them charged as they can send that money back home to there families easier then they can with cash. Also getting cash on board is not really a problem for them.

I was told the same thing 2 weeks ago on the Wonder. They also liked them charged as they are less likely to spend it and save it as well. As a previous server I of course thought cash because normal american servers hate charged tips but these servers don't have to claim taxes so no biggie but they prefer the charge so now I charge. Anything to help them out!!!

Lainey321
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
This isnt't about tipping...but when are you cruising in May? We are on the May 27 Dream cruise....
May 9th

TNSallyUSA
02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
What about CMs in the Kids' Clubs? Do you tip them?

Namsupak
02-17-2012, 05:09 PM
We have tipped cash once, we put it in a sealed envelope. We have also just left them candy, which they seemed to like.

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-18-2012, 07:49 PM

They are not considered to be a tipped position so they are really not supposed to take a cash tip. If you want to give them something what a lot of people seem to suggest is giving them things that they can share with other crew members at the crew party like candy or something like that.

Dislaney4n6
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to charge the tips to the room for part of the room and not everyone? I have people in my room that I am not responsible for paying, but would want to charge my tips and not theirs. Only my credit card will be on the room. Is that possible??
TIA

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to charge the tips to the room for part of the room and not everyone? I have people in my room that I am not responsible for paying, but would want to charge my tips and not theirs. Only my credit card will be on the room. Is that possible??
TIA

If you want to charge them to your room you can go to guest services anytime and pay the amount you like. What about collecting the money from the other people in your Cabin so it is more convenient.

Another thing you can do once your on board or at the port is have the other people put down there own credit or debt cards down for there own cards.

kcashner
02-21-2012, 08:54 PM

This is a non-tipped position, and if you do choose to give a cash tip the CM is required to turn it over to the manager who will use it for a department party. The problem is that many people cared for your children and it is not fair to tip only those who happened to be on duty the last evening. They do enjoy munchies from home, but again will share anything you opt to give.

No tip is expected or required for the youth activities team.

ilovetexas
02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I was told the same thing 2 weeks ago on the Wonder. They also liked them charged as they are less likely to spend it and save it as well. As a previous server I of course thought cash because normal american servers hate charged tips but these servers don't have to claim taxes so no biggie but they prefer the charge so now I charge. Anything to help them out!!!

This would never have occurred to me. I, like you, assumed cash was king. I usually tip cash in addition to my auto tips that are charged (I don't feel that the "minimum" is enough to wait on us hand and foot all week). Perhaps I can find a way to increase the amount of credit card tips as opposed to cash. Strange. I'll have to work on that one.

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
This would never have occurred to me. I, like you, assumed cash was king. I usually tip cash in addition to my auto tips that are charged (I don't feel that the "minimum" is enough to wait on us hand and foot all week). Perhaps I can find a way to increase the amount of credit card tips as opposed to cash. Strange. I'll have to work on that one.

If you want to increase your tips well you are on bard you can always go to guest services anytime during your cruise.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
GS will happily increase a tip for a CM on your CC! :rotfl:

You can also tip them cash as an extra as you see fit, and that can be used to "charge up" their KTTW card equivalent for crew shop supplies, crew bar or use in the vending machines, or ashore.

They will NEVER frown on cash given to them ;), but it take's less time out of their day to hand it over at the Crew Office to send it home.

Ex Techie :)

smidgy
02-21-2012, 11:00 PM

I am a server. I appreciate the thought and trouble that went into your actions. really.. nice of you to think of us .

that being said, most people in tipped positions really dislike this type of thing. the $2 bills are hard to make change for. and easily mistaken for $1 bills . the coins are hard (and sometimes heavy in your pocket) to carry around. again,some of the dollar coins can easily be mistaken for quarters.

sometimes, people pay me with a $100 bill, or a $50 bill, and I am scrounging around for change in my waitress apron, or pockets. I try to keep a "waitress bank" in my pocket (but that is money that I can never actually use, if I always have to have a "bank") but sometimes, I run out, and have to wait in line for change myself to go back to the table with, and trying to change out weird, unusual bills or coins are just a big pain in the butt..

and when I tend bar, (or the bartender I am "changing things out with) usually doesn't even HAVE a slot of the $2 bills. they are just a big annoyance.
unless we are coin collectors, we really just want the actual money, we are only going to use it to pay our rent, mortgage, groceries, eelctric bills, etc etc. anyway.
you go to all the trouble to get these special bills and coins, and we need the money to pay bills with and are only going to change them out anyway.

not trying to be harsh.

just like when my boys were little and went trick or treating.I felt SO bad for the little old ladies who would take the time to bake cookies and make home made candies and wrap the in little baggies with orange ribbons, etc... cause I would make my boys throw them out. unless you know who it came from, all home made treats went in the trash since the 70's , along with all the nice, fresh apples and oranges.

smidgy
02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
We have tipped cash once, we put it in a sealed envelope. We have also just left them candy, which they seemed to like.

I hope you meant candy as an extra, above and beyond the tip.., not instead of the tip, or as part of the tip.
candy does not pay the bills...;):confused3

I am a Christian, and I am offended by those who think it is ok to leave a Gospel Tract instead of a tip.. or even as "part of" a tip.it doesn'y pay the bills. yes, I know eternal life is a mighty fine tip. but to quote George Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life) about money.. "It comes in pretty handy down here, bub!"
(and, the reason I am offended, is it is a terrible witness for our faith) and that was how I felt before I became a server.. now I am doubly offended:rotfl:

kcashner
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM

It's totally easy to increase the standard tip on a charge. You go to GS and complete a very quick form indicating how much you wish to tip each person. You can increase (or decrease) the amount for one person or all. You don't have to worry about the amount per guest--just indicate the total amount you want to go to each of the CMs who served you. It takes maybe a minute if there is no line at GS.

This is the same form you get in your stateroom on the second to last day; you can wait till then to do it and just drop the completed form in the box by GS if you wish.

Dislaney4n6
02-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Another thing you can do once your on board or at the port is have the other people put down there own credit or debt cards down for there own cards.

Wish I could, but they are my niece and nephews all under age of 10. Someone else is paying their costs, but my credit card will be on the room for me.

ilovetexas
02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
It's totally easy to increase the standard tip on a charge. You go to GS and complete a very quick form indicating how much you wish to tip each person. You can increase (or decrease) the amount for one person or all. You don't have to worry about the amount per guest--just indicate the total amount you want to go to each of the CMs who served you. It takes maybe a minute if there is no line at GS.

This is the same form you get in your stateroom on the second to last day; you can wait till then to do it and just drop the completed form in the box by GS if you wish.

Good to know that I can single out specific CM's for extra without using cash (when it appears they would prefer credit)! I've always been amazed at the way the crew take such good care of the passengers. Just another part of why I love to cruise. :)

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Wish I could, but they are my niece and nephews all under age of 10. Someone else is paying their costs, but my credit card will be on the room for me.

What about asking whoever is paying for them to give you the money in advance

Namsupak
02-24-2012, 12:33 AM
I hope you meant candy as an extra, above and beyond the tip.., not instead of the tip, or as part of the tip.

I am a Christian, and I am offended by those who think it is ok to leave a Gospel Tract instead of a tip.. or even as "part of" a tip.it doesn'y pay the bills. yes, I know eternal life is a mighty fine tip. but to quote George Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life) about money.. "It comes in pretty handy down here, bub!"
(and, the reason I am offended, is it is a terrible witness for our faith) and that was how I felt before I became a server.. now I am doubly offended:rotfl:

Read the context or previous post.

twindaddy
02-24-2012, 12:46 AM

Did I miss a post, someone left bible verses instead of cash or an appropriate tip? Dont get me wrong, I have left nothing as a tip a few times, but that is only when I feel a server went out of their way to make my experience terrible. I typically overtip, I know how hard servers work.

As a fellow Christian, anyone who left an envelope of bible verses is disgusting and a disgrace.

smidgy
02-24-2012, 01:18 AM
I stand corrected. you did not leave only candy. mea culpa.

and, to another poster, no, no one psted about someone leaving bible verses instead of a tip. I posted that in response to my earlier error.. candy instead of a tip.

see, it has happened fo rme, as a server at a steak house.
I have gottne people who think, cause they "love" me so much, leave me homemade banana bread instead of a tip... cause "they wold only do that for womeone special" (and,relaly nice people, just dont' 'get it"

and yes, I have gotten gospel tracts instead of tips. so I mentioned it.

gospel tracts, candy, "special" coins etc. those of us in tipped positions are just working for a living. and we really just want the cash to pay our bills.

and I know some of you are trying really hard to make us feel "special" by doing something "out of the ordinary"... thanks.... but we really just want to pay our bills!:lovestruc

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I stand corrected. you did not leave only candy. mea culpa.

and, to another poster, no, no one psted about someone leaving bible verses instead of a tip. I posted that in response to my earlier error.. candy instead of a tip.

see, it has happened fo rme, as a server at a steak house.
I have gottne people who think, cause they "love" me so much, leave me homemade banana bread instead of a tip... cause "they wold only do that for womeone special" (and,relaly nice people, just dont' 'get it"

and yes, I have gotten gospel tracts instead of tips. so I mentioned it.

gospel tracts, candy, "special" coins etc. those of us in tipped positions are just working for a living. and we really just want the cash to pay our bills.

and I know some of you are trying really hard to make us feel "special" by doing something "out of the ordinary"... thanks.... but we really just want to pay our bills!:lovestruc

That reminds me of when I was working at a restaurant, there was a large group and it became obvious that they had no intention to tip so the manager to make sure the waitress added a service charge to the bill.

kcashner
02-24-2012, 10:05 PM
That reminds me of when I was working at a restaurant, there was a large group and it became obvious that they had no intention to tip so the manager to make sure the waitress added a service charge to the bill.

This has become standard practice in many restaurants--not sure if it is because with a large party a "normal" tip can look like "a lot." I've heard the same thing from servers on the ship. Those who typically do short cruises have voiced concerns that they wouldn't want to do long cruises because they believe people would cut the tips since they look like a lot. Of course, I've also heard from servers on longer cruises that they like it because they believe that getting to know the guests better results in bigger tips. Everyone seems to have a theory.

Dislaney4n6
02-25-2012, 05:03 AM
This has become standard practice in many restaurants--not sure if it is because with a large party a "normal" tip can look like "a lot." I've heard the same thing from servers on the ship. Those who typically do short cruises have voiced concerns that they wouldn't want to do long cruises because they believe people would cut the tips since they look like a lot. Of course, I've also heard from servers on longer cruises that they like it because they believe that getting to know the guests better results in bigger tips. Everyone seems to have a theory.

It does 'look' like a lot of money on a long cruise, but like many have said, they deserve it! The ONLY mandatory position that gets a 'tip' that I have questioned on a cruise before is the head waiter. I say this from personal experience only, so no nasty-grams. For one cruise, the head waiter only came to my table on the last night to 'collect' his money.

When I book, I consider the 'tips' part of the cruise price and keep that amount set aside, physically or just mentally.

Lynda Silk
02-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Smidgy, do you agree that it's better to charge our tips rather than paying cash?

tinkerone
02-25-2012, 09:13 AM
It does 'look' like a lot of money on a long cruise, but like many have said, they deserve it! The ONLY mandatory position that gets a 'tip' that I have questioned on a cruise before is the head waiter. I say this from personal experience only, so no nasty-grams. For one cruise, the head waiter only came to my table on the last night to 'collect' his money. When I book, I consider the 'tips' part of the cruise price and keep that amount set aside, physically or just mentally.

i have had this same experience. i really had to losen my grip to let THAT envelope go. i know the argument has been made that they have lots of stuff to take care of including making sure the wait staff is doing their job but i really think they need to at least present them selfs early in the cruise so people understand who this mystery person is. other than that one cruise the head waiter has always done this.
as with you i do not want any nasty-grams. this is just my thought and not everyones.

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
i have had this same experience. i really had to losen my grip to let THAT envelope go. i know the argument has been made that they have lots of stuff to take care of including making sure the wait staff is doing their job but i really think they need to at least present them selfs early in the cruise so people understand who this mystery person is. other than that one cruise the head waiter has always done this.
as with you i do not want any nasty-grams. this is just my thought and not everyones.

Sometime though on cruises where you do't see the head waiter it's because he'she have a lot of other things they are dealing with. For example on my first cruise on the Disney Wonder back in 2006 I never saw him once as they were tying out some new menus for the longer sailing that she was going to be doing later in the year and there was a lot of things going on behind the scenes that required his attention.

On my second cruise he came by a few times but didn't do anything extraordinary for me or my table mates so he just got the minimum.

On my third cruise some of my table mates decided for some really bad reasons to reduce the tip amounts for the servers in the restaurant and I felt really bad for the head server one night half way through the cruise when she came by to see how things were going. A couple of my fellow table mates decided to feed her to the wolves. As a result they all got higher tips from everyone else in our group.

tinkerone
02-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Sometime though on cruises where you do't see the head waiter it's because he'she have a lot of other things they are dealing with. For example on my first cruise on the Disney Wonder back in 2006 I never saw him once as they were tying out some new menus for the longer sailing that she was going to be doing later in the year and there was a lot of things going on behind the scenes that required his attention.

On my second cruise he came by a few times but didn't do anything extraordinary for me or my table mates so he just got the minimum.

On my third cruise some of my table mates decided for some really bad reasons to reduce the tip amounts for the servers in the restaurant and I felt really bad for the head server one night half way through the cruise when she came by to see how things were going. A couple of my fellow table mates decided to feed her to the wolves. As a result they all got higher tips from everyone else in our group.

not looking for a debate BUT i still say it only takes a few seconds to say how's it going.....i don't care what is happening behind the scenes, i'd like to know who you are and what your purpose is if you expect me to appreciate the fact i need to tip you. i don't need him to do anything extraordinary, i need to know your a person and not an envelope. just my thought and certainly not looking to be unreasonable. hope i don't come across this way....:hug:
p.s--i'm from kingston, hi neighbour!

jpeka65844
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
IGratuity is automatically added to all drink orders and is included in the Palo service change if you decide to dine there.

If it's automatically added to your bill, then it's a service charge, not gratuity. This semantic bugs me. :mad: Does this also apply to drink service on CC?

Can you put tips on a Disney Rewards gift card at the end of your cruise?

Also, you can tip the porters and anyone else who handles your luggage in cash?

kcashner
02-25-2012, 09:46 PM
If it's automatically added to your bill, then it's a service charge, not gratuity. This semantic bugs me. :mad: Does this also apply to drink service on CC?

Can you put tips on a Disney Rewards gift card at the end of your cruise?

Also, you can tip the porters and anyone else who handles your luggage in cash?

The automatic 15% applies to all bar items, including any purchased on Castaway Cay. Bar items include specialty coffees, bottled water, smoothies, and canned sodas.

Yes, you can use your rewards card to pay off your onboard account, so if you charge your tips to your account you can pay it with reward dollars.

The ONLY way you can tip the porters is cash.

EastYorkDisneyFan
02-25-2012, 09:54 PM
not looking for a debate BUT i still say it only takes a few seconds to say how's it going.....i don't care what is happening behind the scenes, i'd like to know who you are and what your purpose is if you expect me to appreciate the fact i need to tip you. i don't need him to do anything extraordinary, i need to know your a person and not an envelope. just my thought and certainly not looking to be unreasonable. hope i don't come across this way....:hug:
p.s--i'm from kingston, hi neighbour!

I understand not wanting to start a debate that the only reason I mentioned about the head server being busy as he came over during pirate night to apologize for not being around the other nights, also I did have a little bit of interaction with him as the people at the table I was seated at decide to change there dinning time. I was cruising sol and sat at a table with a family and later moved to another table with a couple and a mother and daughter.

Oh and also Ps Hi back, my youngest brother went to Queens so I've been to visit Kingston a couple of time it's a very nice city.

RedSox68
02-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Not adding to the debate -- but in 9 cruises we have only had TWO head servers who actually took the time to come at the beginning of the cruise and introduce themselves, tell us what their duties are and to be sure to let them know if there is anything they needed. They got EXTRA tips because they came by every single night to make sure our needs were being met.

On the other seven cruises, they didn't come to our table until the last night, just in time to get their name in for the tip. I found that tacky and they only got the bottom minimum!

Dislaney4n6
02-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Not adding to the debate -- but in 9 cruises we have only had TWO head servers who actually took the time to come at the beginning of the cruise and introduce themselves, tell us what their duties are and to be sure to let them know if there is anything they needed. They got EXTRA tips because they came by every single night to make sure our needs were being met.

On the other seven cruises, they didn't come to our table until the last night, just in time to get their name in for the tip. I found that tacky and they only got the bottom minimum!
:thumbsup2

jpeka65844
02-26-2012, 07:57 AM

When you did that, (which I TOTALLY agree with and you're nice for tipping them at all), did you leave a note explaining why? As a server, I would always want to know why my service was considered sub-par so that I can improve.

I'll be on the lookout for this when we cruise in June. So a head server isn't necessarily the one who visits your table during the meal? They're kind of a "boss" of all the other servers?

Dislaney4n6
02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
So a head server isn't necessarily the one who visits your table during the meal? They're kind of a "boss" of all the other servers?

More or less. On RCI, the head server brought cakes to tables for birthday/anniversary celebrations, should ask if everything was ok, etc. Kind of like a manager. If a server has 5 tables, the head waiter might have 5 servers, so 25 tables.

A friend of mine was a vegetarian, so the head waiter made sure she always had a tofu option that was specially made. That was a 'decent' head waiter, at least for her. I don't think he said boo to me, but the last night, he made sure to say thank you as I gave him the obligatory tip.

I understand that the tip-able cruise positions come with a minimal salary, and I also understand that the organization and flow of the dinner is in part due to the head waiter, but I just wish I felt more than an envelope to some head waiters.