PDA

View Full Version : Cruising Disney with DD - FE's / Magnets / Princess Dresses?

tsouth
12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi:

We sailed the Magic in her maiden year and haven't been back on a Disney cruise since. Our DD is 5 when we sail the Dream in April.

I have been reading about FE's and door magnets and Princess costumes. I am not too sure what all this stuff is for. If you can provide me some high level information about these, that would be great. Will everyone have them and my dd feel left out if we don't have them? We are Disney lovers but very low keyed.

Do all the girls bring a princess dress along?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I know everyone has their opinions but just not sure if we will be in the minority if we don't do stuff like this.

Thanks...T.

Suz D
12-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Your DD won't know the difference on the FE's. She probably won't notice the magnets either. We didn't do them on our 1st or 2nd cruise but have done them on the last three and I can't imagine not decorating our door now...but it's more of a personal preference and also how much work you want to put into your trip.

Re: princess dresses. That's something that probably you are the only one to answer the question of whether your daughter will feel left out, but here's some info from my perspective.

Not every little girl will be wearing a princess dress. I'd say maybe 10-20% wear them? I'm not really good at estimating, but it's definately not the majority. We always bring one because our 4 year old loves to wear her Belle dress (I think she likes the "off the shoulder look" which is alarming for a 4 yo, but that's another thread :confused3 :laughing: ). Would our DD feel left out if she didn't have it? No. She's not too worried about what others are doing, just what she likes. The first cruise we took her on we brought like 4 princess dresses (hand me downs, we're budget people;)) and she only wore one and wore it once.

Would you have to go out and buy one for her? Is that expense something that you can justify even if she only wears it once (or can she use it as her HW costume next year?). Do you have room to pack a big ol' princess dress?

I'm excited for you to cruise with her. It's so fun seeing all of this through a child's eyes!

Suz D
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh, and BTW, we did FE's one cruise and it was lots of fun, but I haven't done it since and haven't missed it. It took more time than I wanted to put in, took time to pass out, and space in our suitcase. The last few cruises we've just gotten to know a few special people on our Meet thread and brought a special treat for them.

If I was traveling with a group of people I knew well, then I think I'd really enjoy bringing something special for them each day.

If you are on the fence about magnets, check out some of the Disign threads. You will be inspired and probably want to make some. The nice thing is that if you don't put dates on them you can just use them cruise after cruise.

kcashner
12-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Some little girls wear a princess dress every night, some never wear one. Since you are on a short cruise, you won't have a formal night. You will have "dress up optional" if the Dream does what the Wonder has been doing. I'd put the dress on the level of "if you have one, take it. If not, don't fret over it."

FE--she won't know about it or miss it.

Door decorations--we find that with a little one it helps to have something on the door to make HER door stand out. That can be ONE magnet or a photo/drawing held in place with a magnet....or can be a fantastically decorated door. Your choice to do it or not. While she won't be wandering the halls without you, she may walk ahead, and the magnet would indicate where to stop.

An aside on doors....we once cruised with an extended family in at least 3 cabins across the hall from us. The kids were allowed to run the halls and run between rooms. On at least 2 occasions I had children banging on MY door. I finally put a picture on my door--no more people who couldn't tell that their cousin didn't live there!

Deb T.
12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
When are you sailing? I would suggest you visit the "Disney Cruise Meets" board, find your sailing, and see what your fellow cruisers are doing. Not all Disney cruises set up a Fish Extender Exchange, but we've always found them to be a lot of fun and a great enhancement to our trip. :goodvibes