PDA

View Full Version : ORANGE family Trip - Day 5 - Sept 1 MGM/EPCOT

Momto2funkids
09-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Cast:
Me - Age 38, mom
DH - Age 38, Navy man
Last time we were at WDW together was 1995.
DS1 - Age 9 (was at WDW with me and grandma once when he was 2, but doesn't remember)
DS2 - Age 7 First timer

Supporting players: Our three nephews (ages 16, 14, 10) who live in Kissimmee and joined us for days 5 and 6.

We aren't really the ORANGE family, but each day we'd try to coordinate our shirt colors to make it easy to find each other and so the CM's would always say things like "Hey, it's the Green Family" "Hi Orange, Family"!

Our nephews were to meet us at the parking lot of Ft. Wilderness and we were to go to MGM STudios for the AM. DS1 (age 9) decides to refuse to get a shower, which we asked him to do about an hour before our meeting time. Not only does he refuse, but he practically runs out of the bathroom, leaving a shoe in DH's hand. We decide that this calls for punishment and we tell him he must stay with Dad while his brother and I go to meet the cousins and go to MGM. Dad tells him when he is ready to take his shower and do what we ask, they will go to MGM. He also has to pay for the time that DH and he miss in the parks. (We estimated it to be about $3.00 per hour-LOL) I give DH the cell phone and head off with DS2 (age 7) to meet the nephews.

We get to MGM right at 9:00 and go directly to Tower of Terror. There was no line and using the left line, we got right on. This ride is awesome! I loved it. DS2 did not. He would not go on it again. All the other boys loved it.

We then high tailed it to Rock and roller coaster which also had no line. What a great ride! Loved it!

We decide to call dh and find that he and DS1 are now at the park. Seems as soon as we lefted the campground, DS1 decided very quickly to get his shower and so he only missed 1/2 hour of park time for him and his dad (total charge $3.00). So we meet them and go on R&RC again. Then all but DS2 and me go on ToT (I wanted to go again, but someone had to stay with DS2).

We only planned on a half day here, but with low crowds we were able to see the following, all with little or no waiting:
Indiana Jones show
Star Tours two times
Great Movie Ride
Muppets 3D
Sounds Dangerous

We went back to the campground for a hot dog lunch and to set up our tent for the nephews and then took the bus to Transportation and then the Monorail over to EPCOT.

When we got to EPCOT, I was the designated FP fetcher for Test Track while the others went on Spaceship Earth. Unfortunately, our TT time wasn't until 7:40 and it was only 4:30. But we had lots we wanted to do, so we didn't think we would mind. In Future World we did:
Ellen's Energy adventure, Bodywars, Cranium Command, Innoventions East. DS1 and his cousin were picked to do some Tree Ecology show in innoventions and they got a little certificate. We wasted too much time in that place though.

When it was our turn for test track, we took our fast pass and got right up to where it was our turn next and it broke down. Since it was so late, they weren't going to reopen it. Bummer! They did give us a fast pass and said we could use it for any other time we were at EPCOT, just to tell them we were there on Sunday when it was shut down. But this didn't help our nephews who weren't going to be back.

We decided to go over to the World Showcase side to eat. We took in the Mexico ride. We were disappointed to find Maelstorm closed.

Everyone decided on the take-out chinese at Lotus Blossom, except DS2 (age 7) who said he'd take a burrito from the Mexico take out place. The food at Lotus Blossom was pretty good. The portions were big. I would s;it meals for the kids if I did that again, and maybe even for the adults. As it was we had a lot of leftovers which we did take back to the campsite. Some was eaten the next day for breakfast, but some sadly ended up being thrown out. The Burrito kids meal at the Mexico take out place was a good value. $3.50 for a burrito, drink and tortilla chips.

By the time we were done eating Illuminations was starting. Since we didn't stake out a spot we ended up in a bad position for this. We were near China and there was an island with a big tree in the way. We didn't see most of the Earth portions. But that was okay, as we vowed to be back to see it from a better vantage point later in the week.

We took the bus back to the bus back to the campground. We were beat and pretty much went right to sleep.

Jo

Marla Hellwig
09-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Glad to hear your son decided to shower and join the fun - isn't Tower of Terror a great ride - just love it - thanks for posting!

yepod
09-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Sorry the nephews missed TT:(

Otherwise, it sounded like a great day (except for the lack of rain with DS1 LOL):D

Thanks for the report!

wdisneyaholic
09-20-2002, 01:06 PM
I love the making your son pay for the time your hubby missed the park. I have 3 boys (all 3 and under) and I must keep that idea for when they get older. I'll bet that really teaches them about money too.

Good idea!!

wdisneyaholic
I love the making your son pay for the time your hubby missed the park. I have 3 boys (all 3 and under) and I must keep that idea for when they get older. I'll bet that really teaches them about money too.

Good idea!!

wdisneyaholic

Good idea!!