PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Soft chocolate chip cookie recipe

mommy2emily
12-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Can anyone post a recipe for making homemade chocolate chip cookies that actually stay soft?
Can you be specific (Ex. salted or unsalted butter or margarine) How long to let cool? What do you store them in?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Mine never stay soft.

worm761
12-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I will share my secret. I use the Nestle Toll House recipe but throw a very ripe banana in the recipe. The banana adds no flavor but keeps the cookies super moist. I store mine in an airtight container. Air is the enemy of cookies and makes them go stale.

Kae
12-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Go to foodtv.com look up alton Browns Good Eats show 3 chips for Sister Marsha-He explains how to get different textures in Choc chip cookies.

Kae

smidgen21
12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I use the Nestle Toll House recipe too. I use unsalted butter. I bake them until they are just starting to brown. I remove them from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Once cool I store them in air tight containers.

Good luck!

disneychrista
12-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I too do the Toll House, use buttery flavored crisco and here's the key slightly under bake them. They continue to bake after they are out of the oven. Cool them. And store in zip-top bag.

shelly3girls
12-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I make the Tollhouse recipe with salted butter. I then add a box of instant vanilla pudding. They rise nicely and stay very soft.

Kitzka
12-03-2010, 11:32 PM
I make a cakey chocolate chip cookie. Google Martha Stewart cakey chocolate cookie. They stay soft in a airtight container fir about a week.

Lara

ah1126
12-03-2010, 11:45 PM
We always use crisco instead of butter for a soft cookie. If your cookies start to get hard, put a piece of bread in the container and they will soften back up!

kkwis2
12-03-2010, 11:47 PM
My family loves these cookies:

Combine:

3/4 C sugar
3/4 C brown sugar (I use dark brown, C&H)
2 sticks of butter, softened (not margarine)

Add:

2 eggs

Mix in:
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda

Add:
large box of instant vanilla pudding

Use a hand mixer for all of the above.

By hand:

mix in a bag of chocolate chips

Then add another 3/4 C of flour

Bake for about 11-12 minutes at 350. I take them out before they start to brown, right as they are setting. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then move to a cooling rack. I then put them in a plastic bag and freeze them, taking them out each day to have fresh cookies for lunches.

These are super soft and chewy! I get a lot of compliments on them.

Let me know if you try them.

mlclements
12-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Once you put your cookies in an airtight container put a piece of bread in the container with the cookies. Your cookies will stay moist for a very long time. The bread may even get hard enough that you will have to put a new piece in.

Madison'smommy
12-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Once you put your cookies in an airtight container put a piece of bread in the container with the cookies. Your cookies will stay moist for a very long time. The bread may even get hard enough that you will have to put a new piece in.

This is what I heard to do, I think it works!

kellydizfan
12-04-2010, 07:48 AM
This is what I do to my cookies. I sift all the dry ingredients together. I only use Salted butter - I can tell the differnce in the cookies. Then the wet ingredients, I beat with a mixer until creamy then beat in the dry ingredients until mixed then stir in the chocolate chips. I use the Toll House receipe. I also use 1/2 crisco & 1/2 butter also. I don't use all of one or the other. Mine never come out hard. everyone loves them. Good luck - I need to start baking.

J3nn78
12-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I use the tollhouse recipe. I use margarine. I slightly undercook the cookies and let them sit on the pan for about 2 minutes before removing to a rack to cool. THe cookies stay nice and chewy. If I forget to take them out soon enough, I put a piece of white bread in the container and it softens them up.

MSSANDRA
12-04-2010, 08:28 AM
I think the key is how long you cook them. I use the toll house version as well but did some mix ones yesterday and baked then a minute or two under time and the were soft and chewy and yummy.

hulagirl87
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I think the key is how long you cook them. I use the toll house version as well but did some mix ones yesterday and baked then a minute or two under time and the were soft and chewy and yummy.

that's what I do!! :goodvibes

Karalea
12-04-2010, 08:59 AM

My Grandmother taught me to do this and it totally works.

disney4us2002
12-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree with many of the other posters about Tollhouse and undercooking a bit plus adding bread used to extend the life of soft cookies but I never need the bread now because the cookies disappear in 2 days with three nearly adults boys!

The only other thing I can add is that no matter what cookie sheet I use the thing that makes them brown evenly and not spread out too thin is using parchment paper. I won't bake cookies without parchment paper now.

Karlzmom
12-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Can anyone post a recipe for making homemade chocolate chip cookies that actually stay soft?
Can you be specific (Ex. salted or unsalted butter or margarine) How long to let cool? What do you store them in?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Mine never stay soft.

This is a family recipe that my Great-Grandmother used to send boxed cookies from North Dakota to my Dad in Michigan. My mom would send them to me in the Army and they stayed soft for the journey. We stored them in everything from Coffee cans to regular cookie jars. Mine would arrive in a shoe box. Dad liked his to have sat out for a while, as I guess the mail from the Dakotas took long enough that they would be a bit stale [though still soft] and the 1st time my mom made them "fresh" for him [after secretly ferreting out Grams recipe] he thought she had done it wrong! :-)

3/4C Honey
1/2C Shortening
1/2C Apple Sauce
1&1/2C Chocolate Chips
2C Flour
2 Eggs
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp Baking powder
1tsp Vanilla

cream shortening and apple sauce. Add honey. mix dry ingredients, then combine into wet. bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Kimkimba
12-04-2010, 10:14 AM
If you want them softer (cake-like), add an extra egg to the Tollhouse recipe.

wtrmlnlabs
12-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Still working on mine but tips that have helped me, although most may already know.....

Don't melt the butter, just soften
Add 1/4 cup flour to the nestle recipe
I have dark metal sheets and just food out I need to lower the temp to 325 and cook longer...i think this last batch I made they cooked 15 min. And were much softer than usual.

Definitely going to try some of your other ideas here!

mommyoftwinfants
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM

This is what we do :)

Kathi OD
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree with many of the other posters about Tollhouse and undercooking a bit plus adding bread used to extend the life of soft cookies but I never need the bread now because the cookies disappear in 2 days with three nearly adults boys!

The only other thing I can add is that no matter what cookie sheet I use the thing that makes them brown evenly and not spread out too thin is using parchment paper. I won't bake cookies without parchment paper now.

This. I don't know why, but it helps.

The bread thing also works like a charm!

mommyof3princess27
12-04-2010, 02:06 PM
My Grandmother taught me to do this and it totally works.

My husband does this and it works!

MarthaJr.
12-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I used Alton Brown's sister's idea but modified slightly.

I use the Tollhouse recipe EXCEPT: I use 1 C. all purpose flour and 1 1/4 C. bread flour. Also, I use 1/2 C. salted butter and 1/2 C. Crisco.

These always stay soft & chewy for the few days they last in our house LOL!
I will say that these are my brother in-law's favorite and his wife owns an Italian bakery. :goodvibes

jbonnici
09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
sounds yummy

2DisPrincesses
09-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Here's my recipe for Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookies (could leave out the PB):

Beat:
2 eggs
1/3 C water
1/4 C soft butter
1 C peanut butter
1/2 dry cake mix (I use butter recipe)

Add:
other 1/2 dry cake mix
12oz choc chips

Bake @ 375 for 8-10 minutes.

They are so soft and yummy!!!

Imzadi
09-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Here's my recipe for Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookies (could leave out the PB):

Beat:
2 eggs
1/3 C water
1/4 C soft butter
1 C peanut butter
1/2 dry cake mix (I use butter recipe)

Add:
other 1/2 dry cake mix
12oz choc chips

Bake @ 375 for 8-10 minutes.

They are so soft and yummy!!!

What is the purpose of splitting the cake mix if you end up putting it in anyway? :confused:

mrodgers
09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
You people have chocolate chip cookies left over to store?

MineMail
09-28-2011, 04:16 AM
After the dough is mixed, chill it for at least an hour before baking.
Makes all the difference in the world.

I like the idea of freezing the raw dough in portions to be baked as needed.
Someone I used to know did that and stacked two portions on top of each other, making the cookie thick but they cooked evenly.

PaulaSue
09-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I dont use metal cookie sheets, I use the PC stone cookie sheets. Makes a night and day difference IMO.

Now you all have me hungry and I would LOVE to try the PB receipe, thanks! I had saw a coupon for them from Toll House and was thinking of searching for one.

*pixie*dust*
09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
We always use crisco instead of butter for a soft cookie. If your cookies start to get hard, put a piece of bread in the container and they will soften back up!

Try this! It will keep just about any cookie soft.

girli565
09-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I just baked this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/06/malted-milk-chocolate-chip-cookies/

They are soft, chewy and stay that way even after I put them in a ziplock bag after they cooled completely. I know the malt is different but it doesn't really add any kind of malty taste to it. They taste like normal tollhouse cookies but have this amazing chewy and soft texture.

LattNJ
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I use the Nestle Toll House recipe on the back of the bag of chocolate chips. I usually use the semisweet chips. I use salted butter, and I usually add slivered almonds (instead of walnuts) and my secret ingredient: coconut - like the dried kind sold my the chocolate chips. I never measure it--maybe 1/3 cup? I store them in an airtight container.

Green Tea
09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
The recipe in the Crisco Sticks for chocolate chip cookies. I am not kidding. They are THE BEST! Much better and softer than any other recipe I have tried.

amwhitaker
09-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I use the recipe on the Crisco Butter can. They are awesome!

ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

cup butter flavor shortening
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup pecans

Heat oven to 375.

Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture.

Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.

Drop dough 3 inches apart and back 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

ceecee
09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I use the Toll House recipe, remove them while still soft and cool on the pan a few minutes. Store in an airtight container with a slice of bread, this will make even harder cookies soft.

babiektcher
09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Seems like everybody hit on the important points, but put them all together and this is my version of Toll House recipe:
I always use butter crisco, the butter burns.
Add extra tsp of vanilla to every batch.
Always refigerate dough before cooking.
I always use 1 bag semisweet and 1 bag milk choc morsels for double batch.
Silver aluminum cookie sheets like airbake are the best.
Use parchment paper, bake at 325.When they look almost done, i pull them, about 14 min.
Hope this helps you!!!

Green Tea
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I use the recipe on the Crisco Butter can. They are awesome!

ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

cup butter flavor shortening
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup pecans

Heat oven to 375.

Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture.

Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.

Drop dough 3 inches apart and back 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Yep, that is what is on the sticks as well. I think they call it The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie. I make them with the plain, but have used the butter flavor as well. Both fantastic. I bake a LOT and this recipe blows Toll House out of the water.

RachaelA
09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
After reading this post, I need to go back sure I have all the needed ingredients to make cookies tomorrow (that I will then probably all eat myself! :lmao: )

2DisPrincesses
09-28-2011, 05:01 PM
What is the purpose of splitting the cake mix if you end up putting it in anyway? :confused:

My guess is because once the entire cake mix is in, you can no longer really beat it and have to go to stirring instead... not sure though.

I didn't write the recipe, I just follow the directions. ;)

mommy2emily
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Are the crisco sticks in the baking aisle or in with the butter/margarine?

girli565
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
In my grocery store they're in the oil/Pam aisle.

Green Tea
09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Are the crisco sticks in the baking aisle or in with the butter/margarine?

They are in the baking aisle, with the cooking oils and sprays.

MomToOne
09-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I use the Toll House recipe but don't instead of the bread trick, I store them in a paper bag. That always keeps them soft for me, even though I cook them to be nicely browned.

Of course, I only need to use this method for a day or two because they don't last much longer in our house...

babiektcher
11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
With the holidays coming up I wanted to bump this thread so that everyone has the best chocolate chip cookies this year.:cheer2: