PDA

View Full Version : Will Amazon price adjust?

southern_redhead
12-03-2010, 11:44 AM
If this has been covered I'm sorry in advance. I'm at lunch and have limited time to post. I bought a Lionel train for DS for Christmas. I had it in my cart at Amazon for a few days (trying to decide if this was a good gift) at $115. Well, when I went to order it had gone up to $140. I left it in the cart a few more days to see if the price would drop again and when it didn't I went ahead and ordered night before last. Well, now I go to Amazon and it is $112!!! :headache: I KNEW this would happen, it is my COSMIC BAD LUCK!!! I'm just really irritated because I was afraid that if I held out on the price drop any longer it would become "unavailable" - I had JUST had that happen on the item I was going to get DS and this was the "second runner up". So now what should I do? :confused3

HM
12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I doesn't hurt to ask.

kymmyk13
12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
If it hasn't processed and shippped yet you can cancel it. I did that with a DVD last week and saved $7.00. Just go under the order and click on available actions next to the item and you will see if you can cancel it.

LisaNJ25
12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
You can also reorder and refuse the first order when it arrives

dclfun
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd call their customer service department. I wouldn't be comfortable refusing an order- this drives up shipping and stocking prices for Amazon or their partners and I just don't think it's the right thing to do. Hopefully Amazon won't give you a hard time though and will honor the lower price since it was just days later.---Kathy

LisaNJ25
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd call their customer service department. I wouldn't be comfortable refusing an order- this drives up shipping and stocking prices for Amazon or their partners and I just don't think it's the right thing to do. Hopefully Amazon won't give you a hard time though and will honor the lower price since it was just days later.---Kathy

Actually that is what amazons reps tell you to do. I went through this last week when a few hours after I ordered an ipod there was a promo for a $25 amazon GC.

I went round and round with 4 reps (I knows others were able to get the $25 credit) and each one told me sorry,refuse the order and reorder.

I was finally able to get it after sending an email.

Diabolicdesire
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
They will not price adjust. I tried the other day on a video game

EnchantedPrincess
12-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Contact Amazon. It doesn't hurt to ask and the worst they can say is No. I have done it and they didn't have any problem giving me the lower price and dh did the same with an order and was successful.

walkdmc
12-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Email them. I just had the same experience with Just Dance 2 for the Wii. I ordered one at 8pm one night, for 39.99 and the next morning at 10am, I checked their site and it was 25.99. They had already shipped it so I couldn't cancel. I emailed them requesting a price adjustment. Within 4 hours someone responded saying "Amazon does not do price adjustments post-shipping. However, we realize you have options when shopping and appreciate your business. We will make this one-time exception to our policy and refund your credit card $15.00."

It's worth a try.

southern_redhead
12-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Yay! :yay: I just checked my email and they refunded me the difference (I had placed the order using Amazon Prime so it had already been shipped and is scheduled to be delivered today :rolleyes1) I got this in reply:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $28.00 for your Order XXX.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Lionel
Quantity: 1
ASIN: XXX
Reason for refund: Account adjustment

Here's a the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $28.00

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Visa Credit Card [ending with ####]: $28.00

Refunds typically complete within 10 business days and appear as a credit on your statement.

Have questions about our refund policy?
Visit our Help section for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/refunds

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com

And they WILL be seeing me soon because after that awesome customer service I plan to turn around and spend the $28 with them! :cheer2:

ExPirateShopGirl
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Their customer service is fantastic. I have never had an issue with them. Just last week they refunded me the price of an ebook I purchased a few days before when I discovered I had the paperback version already. I emailed them and had a refund posted to my credit card within 20 minutes of their first response to me. My neighbor dropped her Kindle last year and they sent her a new replacement within 24 hours. They totally 'get it' there! :goodvibes

And they WILL be seeing me soon because after that awesome customer service I plan to turn around and spend the $28 with them! :cheer2:

ORMom2Four
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Their customer service is fantastic. I have never had an issue with them. Just last week they refunded me the price of an ebook I purchased a few days before when I discovered I had the paperback version already. I emailed them and had a refund posted to my credit card within 20 minutes of their first response to me. My neighbor dropped her Kindle last year and they sent her a new replacement within 24 hours. They totally 'get it' there! :goodvibes

I've had some trouble with them recently. Ordered an item that should have been a quantity of 10 packages. My invoice clearly states 10 packages.

Only one of the 10 shipped to me, and the packing slip inside was not even for me! It was for a woman in Florida who ordered deodorant.

I called and they apologized, followed up with an e-mail stating that my quantity of 10 would arrive shortly. I was also told to return the one that they sent :confused3

The new package arrived, and again it was ONE item. Grrrr. I wrote them an e-mail this time and this time they said that my original order was their error, that they meant to type 1 and somebody typed 10 instead :eek: They suggested I return the both items to them for a refund or they would keep the charge on my credit card and I could keep the two packages.

This happened within the last two weeks.

I'm not so trusting of them now.....

southern_redhead
12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Hmmm, interesting: I got the above email before 3 this afternoon. Checked my email again tonight and this came in later:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on train. I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Unfortunately, we do not have a post-order price guarantee.

I've reviewed your order and see that the price change is significant from the time the item shipped.

Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $28.00. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

Please understand that I'm issuing this refund because of the exceptional circumstances, and I'm doing this for you against our standard policy.

Curiouser and Curiouser ... why did I get two emails stating I got a refund but one makes it sound standard while the other tells me it is an "exception"?

walkdmc
12-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I got a seemingly personalized email with the same info. you got. Then, I received a statement with the facts, similar to yours. So, I got 2 emails regarding the refund.

southern_redhead
12-03-2010, 09:47 PM
walkdmc - so you got yours in the reverse order of mine? I got the "facts" which made it seem like "yeah, we do this all the time. price adjustment coming your way and thanks for shopping with us." first. THEN I got the "one time exception" email. Do you know who sent you the personalized one? Mine had a name but I can't remember what it was, I'll have to go back and look. I'm a serial email saver :rotfl:

Either way, I'm glad they did it. If it had been for $5 or even $10 I probably would have let it go because I didn't pay tax or shipping so if I had bought locally or from another site I'd have probably spent that anyway. But nearly $30?! They were right ... it WAS "a significant amount" LOL But I bet they got the end result they were hoping for - I not only spent the $28 with them, I spent $102 more because I took the refund plus that and bought the Lego HP Castle LOL So I imagine they are quite glad they gave me the refund ;)

walkdmc
12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I haven't been on the dis for a day or so, <<gasp>>!

To answer your question, yes, I received my letters opposite yours. First, I got the "we'll make an exception", then I got the straight factual email.

I love the convenience of Amazon, really. I like it so much that I joined the Prime program and will do it again once my year is up. However, I hate that contacting CS requires 10 minutes and a minimum IQ of 120. Seriously, why do we have to click, click, click to find their darn CS email? I understand why they don't have phone numbers but I really think there should be a large link, clearly visible on their homepage with "contact customer service", then lead us down an address tree so we get the right person. And heaven forbid if you need to complain about a 3rd party seller.

IMO, an example of a company that has stellar CS is Zappos. Within seconds I can return an item with free return shipping---love them. I only wish they sold more stuff.

namblazejewskiv28
12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear that.

southern_redhead
12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the response :) I know what you mean about Amazon. It is hard to justify NOT shopping with them when I can get free shipping to my door, pay no sales tax, and get the item cheaper than in a physical store. When you add to that the fact that ALL I have access to locally is a small, poorly stocked WalMart...If I shop (semi) local I have to drive an hour plus and then pay a higher price and 9.25% sales tax (which is one of the highest I've paid in traveling many states and we have LESS "stuff" to offer than other states :confused3 go figure.)

The only thing I don't care for is the way their prices fluctuate - I mean in a week it rose $25 then fell $28... I don't like the feeling of "If I buy it now will it be half this price in the morning?" LOL It's one thing if I buy before a big sale but if the price just jumps around that is frustrating.

mikechan
12-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Yeah, Amazon prices have been fluctuating very wildly. They fluctuate even more wildly during the holidays.

But instead of feeling bad, as long as I get a good deal I don't regret it if the price drops a bit more later. Can't win 'em all!