PDA

View Full Version : DIY Wedding Favor Ideas or Welcome Bag Gifts: Jan. 17 Table Decorations

jtanddolly
12-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I love making gift boxes and holders for favors and gifts and I thought it would be fun to post things that I make on the DISBoards so you can get ideas for your wedding! I TRULY believe the right box or holder can make the simplest gifts WOW people. It also shows how much time and effort went into the easiest of gifts. If you have some time, making holders for your wedding favors can be a lot of fun! People will be shocked when they find out you made the gift holder.

I will try to periodically post new images to give you ideas for wedding favors....so make sure you check back to see my latest creations. If you have a picture of something you made, feel free to post it here as well!

Here is my first idea. This box is designed for Christmas ornaments. If you are planning on giving an ornament as a wedding favor, this box will help make your wedding favor extra special! You can purchase inexpensive Christmas balls and use paint pens and/or glue and glitter to decorate the ornament by adding the date, fun designs like a Mickey head or your monogram. If you aren't very crafty you can purchase a disney ornament like the one below or the great "mickey head" ornaments" that come in a set for a very reasonable price. Then make this box for the ornament and place a favor at each place setting for your guests to take home. Each year when they decorate their Christmas tree, they will remember your wedding.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/IMG_3133.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/OrnamentGiftBoxExample.jpg

Here are some links to disney ornaments that are good deals:

12 ornaments for $9.99
http://www.disneystore.com/ornaments-seasonal-home-decor-shatterproof-blue-mickey-mouse-ornaments-12-pc/mp/1275238/1000344/

7 ornaments for $12.99
http://www.disneystore.com/ornaments-seasonal-home-decor-disney-share-the-magic-decoupage-ornament-set-7-pc/mp/1271850/1000344/

http://www.disneystore.com/ornaments-seasonal-home-decor-world-of-disney-decoupage-ornament-set-7-pc/mp/1271844/1000344/

8 ornaments for $22.95
http://www.disneystore.com/ornaments-seasonal-home-decor-peppermint-glass-mini-mickey-mouse-holiday-ornaments-8-pc-set/mp/1253962/1000344/

http://www.disneystore.com/ornaments-seasonal-home-decor-rainbow-glass-mini-mickey-mouse-holiday-ornaments-8-pc-set/mp/1254004/1000344/

Let me know what you think of this box by leaving a post.

KristiLyn
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Wonderful idea!! Love love love it!!!

tinkerbell 766
12-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Another great idea Dolly!!
I love the ornament favour idea but for a VR in May, it doesn't seem quite right!!!

jtanddolly
12-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Another great idea Dolly!!
I love the ornament favour idea but for a VR in May, it doesn't seem quite right!!!

I think an ornament especially for a destination wedding is a great favor any time of year. I probably wouldn't pick a Mickey Santa ornament for a summer wedding or VR, but a Mickey Head ornament or ball with the date, location and maybe even a monogram would be a lovely gift any time of year. I have seen several DISBrides that have given them as favors for non winter weddings. One gave a beautiful Lenox Disney ornament.

For other destination weddings like tropical weddings a seashell ornament or a special ornament from that location would make a great favor!

tinkerbell 766
12-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow that must have panned out expensive for her!!

April Elizabeth
12-04-2010, 08:01 AM
This is a great idea! Thank you!:cutie:

jtanddolly
12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
DIY Favor #2:

I made this favor to give as an elementary classroom Christmas party gift, for a hostess gift with wine or hot cocoa, or for a Christmas party favor, but this gift could be easily used to package lots of wedding favors. It would make a great holder for seed packets, your favorite candy, or any small trinket that fits the theme or location of your wedding. For a Disney wedding you could adapt this theme and give out "Fairy or Pixie Dust". This box is similar in size to a 24 crayon box, and would look great at each place setting! You could even put the guests name on the tag and use the favor as a place card.

Another option would be to use it for a "bear necessities" kit. You could put a travel size toothpaste, emory board, breath mint, safety pin, shout wipe, pack of gum, crystal light on the go pouch, lip balm and adhesive bandage.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/ReindeerFoodBoxPic.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/ReindeerFoodExample.jpg

Hope you like this idea! I'm working on a water bottle wrapper to post next, so make sure you come back and visit the thread.

jtanddolly
12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
DIY Favor #3:

Nothing is better to give in "Welcome Bags" than bottled water as it is so nice to have a little water that you can keep on your night stand for a late night drink, or to throw in a backpack, tote or purse for a daily outing or event. Also it is inexpensive to give and helps to fill up a welcome bag.

If you are going to give a bottle water, why not take the time to add a personalized wrapper matching your wedding colors or theme to make it extra special and to show your guests how wonderful your event is going to be through the extra added touches. I love to add a fun ingredients/nutrition list with things like love, faith, trust, commitment, dedication, etc.

Here is an example of a water bottle wrapper that I made to match the red, white and green theme that I have going with the other favors. I thought it would be fun to make each gift using the same colors so that you could get an idea of what different items would look like together.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/WaterBottleExample.jpg

tinkerbell 766
12-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Dolly
Do you have any templates for the boxes at all?
Thank you so much

jtanddolly
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
DIY Favor #4:

Since I had the water bottle wrapper, I just had to post a wine/water bottle tag. These are great for destination weddings as you can make them in advance and they don't take up a lot of space in your luggage! When you get to your wedding location, you can pick up a case of water, wine or even champagne, place the tag over the top of the bottle and voila...a quick and thoughtful welcome gift for hotel rooms. If you have space and/or don't mind shipping things in advance, go to your local party store and buy plastic wine/champagne glasses to include with the bottle of wine or champagne. They are super light as they are plastic so they wouldn't cost a lot to ship.

I have seen other DISBrides mention that you can purchase cases of bottled water online from Costco and have it shipped to your hotel so that it is waiting on you when you arrive.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/WinTagExample.jpg

I thought I would post a few examples of others that I have made for DISBrides:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/WaterBottleExamples.jpg

jtanddolly
12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Dolly
Do you have any templates for the boxes at all?
Thank you so much

There are lots of great free templates online if you do a google search. There are also templates that you can purchase like the ornament box that I made above. If you find one you like, you can use colored cardstock or cardstock and stamps to match your wedding colors and theme to make different styles of boxes and items.

I make party printables for others to match their wedding, parties or events, but I can't post my blog. If you want a link send me a pm. It is a lot of fun to make your own DIY items from scratch or with a little bit of help by finding someone to make a PDF favor template using your wedding colors and/or theme so that you can print, cut and assemble. It's still a DIY favor even if someone gives you a little help in the beginning by setting up a printable template for you.

jtanddolly
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
HELPFULL HINTS FOR MAKING THESE TYPES OF DIY FAVORS:

You really should invest in a few items to make the finished product look professional. Here are a few things you should own:

1. scissors - buy a pair of scissors for scrapbooking with a good sharp edge...they should be medium in size. You do not want to cut with a big bulky pair of scissors.

2. paper trimmer

3. scoring board - This will help you to get a professional crease for folding paper

4. bone folder - This also helps with getting a good crease for folding paper

5. double sided tape (I use scotch brand double sided tape from walmart) or tape for scrapbooking

6. paper punches - these are not required but they are great for punching round circles like the circle in the wine tag above as circles are difficult to cut perfectly! I also like tag punches, scallop circle punches, etc.

7. I love using clear adhesive shelf paper to cover a lot of the things that I make like candy bar wrappers and water bottle wrappers. It helps to protect the wrapper if it gets wet and it gives it a professional look and feel. It is also called "peel and stick laminate" and I use the duck brand at Walmart. One roll will cover TONS of things.

DisneyLeah
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Dolly - Thank you so much for posting these ideas! Your designs are beautiful and are great inspirations!! :thumbsup2

I was wondering if you could tell me what type (weight) of paper you recommend for the water bottle tags? And, do you just attach them with glue dots? Do you have any recommendations for materials that work particularly well?

Thanks for any information you can share!

Leah

jtanddolly
12-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Dolly - Thank you so much for posting these ideas! Your designs are beautiful and are great inspirations!! :thumbsup2

I was wondering if you could tell me what type (weight) of paper you recommend for the water bottle tags? And, do you just attach them with glue dots? Do you have any recommendations for materials that work particularly well?

Thanks for any information you can share!

Leah

Thanks so much! I'm working on lots more but I ran out of printer ink so I have to go spend another $50 :headache: so I can get back to printing. I wish printer ink was not so darn expensive! I'm sure that I spend at least $200 a year on printer ink.

Water Bottle Wrappers

What you will need:
• White cardstock - I use regular white cardstock from Walmart that is 110 lb weight. Cardstock tends to hold the ink color better than regular paper.
• Clear adhesive shelf paper – It is also called peel and stick laminate and you can find it at Walmart with the shelf paper. It is around $5.00 and it comes in a roll that you will be able to use on a TON of projects. The one I use is Duck brand. I love using clear adhesive laminate! I use it on a lot of projects as it helps to protect the ink from smearing/bleeding and it gives the project a more professional look and feel.
• Paper Trimmer and/or a good pair of scissors
• Double sided tape – I use the scotch brand from Walmart. It is in the office supply section and has a yellow cover.

How to make:
• Print your water bottle wrapper onto the cardstock paper and trim out with scissors or your paper trimmer.
• Next cut a strip of the laminate making sure that you have more than you will need to cover a single bottle wrapper. At least an inch around all sides.
• Then remove the backing from the laminate (but do not throw away) and lay your bottle wrapper (color side) on the sticky side of laminate. Then put the backing over the wrapper back onto the laminate. This will help make cutting more easy, and will help your scissors to not end up with a sticky residue on them.
• Cut using your scissors, making sure to cut about 1/8 of an inch extra of laminate on top and bottom of the wrapper and ½ to 1 inch on the ends. So if your bottle wrapper is 8 x 2 inches you will want the laminate to be 10 by 2 ¼ inches so that there is extra laminate on all sides.
• Even though laminate will stick well to your bottle wrapper it will just stick okay to the bottle. So place a strip of double sided tape on both ends of the bottle wrapper so that it sticks well to the bottle.
• Then wrap the bottle wrapper around the water bottle label making sure it is even/level so that the ends will match up.
• The extra laminate on all four sides will help it to stick to the bottle along with the double sided tape, and will help protect your label so that if you stick it in ice or it gets wet, the image will not run/bleed.

One other option, but it is a good deal more expensive, is to go online and order specialty paper that is a sticker paper and the ink is not supposed to bleed when the paper gets wet. It is nice as you don't have to worry about covering the paper or how you will stick it to the water bottle, but it is a good bit more expensive depending on how many water bottles you are wanting to cover.

Hope that helps!

Sccrmnky2005
12-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Dolly,

Your so amazing to everyone!! Thanks for these tips! I can't wait to print out all the things you've made me. I've printed the samples but nothing on the nice paper yet.:goodvibes

jtanddolly
12-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Leah, I just realized that you said tag not wrapper. Maybe the original tutorial will help someone else.

Wine/Water Bottle Tags

What you need:
• Cardstock - You will definitely want to print on 110 lb weight cardstock or heavier. I print mine on white cardstock from Walmart that is 110 lb weight. The heavier the paper, the better it will sit on a bottle.
• 1.5 inch circle punch for the hole as it is hard to cut a circle. Or you could measure the neck of your bottle to determine what size you will need, but I have found that 1.5 inch works for most bottles
• Scoring Board and Bone Folder – I prefer to use these so that I get a good edge. If you fold by hand the edge is not as good and clean as what you get with a scoring board and bone folder. You can also use the groove on your paper trimmer and buy a hand tool to score the paper.
• Clear Adhesive Shelf Paper – also called peel and stick laminate. I purchase the Duck brand found out Walmart with the shelf paper. This is optional!

How to make:
• Print on cardstock and trim out around all four sides.
• Use your hole punch to cut out the hole.
• Then use the scoring board and bone folder to get a good sharp edge and fold.
• Next place over the bottle…no adhesive is necessary for this project!
• This is an extra step and is not necessary, but it will help protect the tag against getting wet and will help so that it doesn't bend or tear. If you want cover the printed side or both sides with laminate, make sure that you trim right against the tag as you don't want any extra laminate hanging off the sides. If your tag measures 6.5 x 3 inches, you will want the laminate to measure 6.5 x 3 inches.
• Lay the tag on the sticky side of laminate then lay another piece of laminate on top and trim around the sides. You can laminate one side only first and then use your scoring board and bone folder to get a good crease. Try it on the bottle and then decide if you want to laminate the other side. If you are concerned about the tag getting wet or if you are going to do a lot of traveling with the tag, you will probably want to laminate both sides.

Final hint, do not laminate the tag with an actual laminating machine as you can't trim right against the edge and regular laminating paper is thicker and hard to fold.

jtanddolly
12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Dolly,

Your so amazing to everyone!! Thanks for these tips! I can't wait to print out all the things you've made me. I've printed the samples but nothing on the nice paper yet.:goodvibes

Thanks Amanda! I can't wait to see how they all turn out. I check in on your thread from time to time. Once you get that second shoe completed, you will be able to start on all kinds of new projects.

Sccrmnky2005
12-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks Amanda! I can't wait to see how they all turn out. I check in on your thread from time to time. Once you get that second shoe completed, you will be able to start on all kinds of new projects.

Yes, well I've been guilty and doing a few projects here and there until I can get another order of crystals!:goodvibes

geek+nerd
12-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Dolly, while I am a hopeless DIY-wannabe (everything I make looks like a second grader's art project), I love reading your posts!

And, after looking at your Christmas ornament ideas, DF and I chose a personalized Mickey ornament to give each family that comes to our wedding as our favor.

Thanks for all your inspiration and the hard work you do for all the DISbrides!

jtanddolly
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
DIY Favor #5 - Crystal Light On the Go Drink Mix Pouch:

I just had to make one more item to go along with the "bottle theme" that I have had in the last two DIY Favor posts. This is a "Crystal Light On the Go Drink Mix Pouch." You can make it to match the water bottle wrapper and is a perfect gift for a "welcome basket" for guests staying at a hotel. Crystal Light On the Go Drink Mixes come in lots of flavors, so you can pick one that matches your theme and it will help liven up the flavor of water.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/CrystalLightOTG1.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/CrystalLightOTGExample.jpg

Now I need to go purchase more ink so I can get back to printing, assembling and taking more pictures of some fun things like door hangers, candy bar wrappers, etc.

jtanddolly
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Dolly, while I am a hopeless DIY-wannabe (everything I make looks like a second grader's art project), I love reading your posts!

And, after looking at your Christmas ornament ideas, DF and I chose a personalized Mickey ornament to give each family that comes to our wedding as our favor.

Thanks for all your inspiration and the hard work you do for all the DISbrides!

With the right equipment...a paper trimmer, scoring board, bone folder and a good pair of scissors, your projects can be elevated from a second grader's art project to a more professional looking gift. It just takes a little bit of time, a good eye and a steady hand to get straight lines and a good crease. Okay and maybe the fact the I'm a little bit of a perfectionist helps. Keep trying though, one day you will make something that you will be super proud to give friends!

My best example is I'm not very good at making cakes. My sister and I made a castle cake for my neices 4th birthday and it looked about like a second grade art project. :goodvibes We sang the song and blew out the candles as quickly as we could and then whisked it away to cut so that others wouldn't see just how bad it looked. Well...this year I made cupcakes that looked like hamburgers and they turned out GREAT! All of that to say...don't give up trying you will eventually make the perfect DIY project!!!

Start off with either a water bottle wrapper or wine/water bottle tag. They are super simple with basically cutting out a rectangle. If you don't cut straight lines, use a paper trimmer to get a good cut. You can even pick scrapbook paper with your wedding colors, cut it down to size and use it to wrap around a water bottle without worrying with wording, ingredient label, etc. If you are going to put the water in a gift bag or basket...you don't have to cover the wrapper with laminate. It is a step that I do so that I don't have to worry with the colors on the paper running/bleeding if they get wet, but it isn't necessary.

jtanddolly
12-09-2010, 08:50 PM
DIY Favor #6: Miniature Tissue Box and Tissue Pocket/Pouch

The miniature tissue box is a great little favor that you can include in your welcome bags/baskets or for during your wedding. Lots of brides leave tissue holders along with their wedding programs and guest book as a fun little favor for during the wedding. There are lots of great sayings that you can put in a frame or you can add to a tag, place on a bow and wrap around your tissue holder.

Here are a few sayings:
1. "For tears of joy"
2. "If weddings always make you cry, here is something to dry your eyes."
3.”In case your heart overflows and you have tears of love and joy.”
4. "Tears of joy, tears of laughter, tears of happily ever after."

Here is an example of a tissue box...this is a small size box and it fits the handy pocket size tissue pouch that you can purchase at Walmart or most drug stores:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/TissueBox.jpg

This is an example of a tissue pocket...it also fits the handy pocket size tissues, but you will only want to put approximately three in each pocket.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/TissuePacket.jpg

DisneyLeah
12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Dolly! You are simply amazing!!! :lovestruc

Thank you soooo much for your tutorials and detailed instructions! I can't wait to give them a try! I am sure my guests will be very impressed if my productions come out even half as nice as yours!

Thank you VERY much!! :yay:

jtanddolly
12-14-2010, 10:14 AM
DIY Favor #7 Candy Tents:

I love candy tents as they are the perfect little favor for a wedding or any type of party. They are great because they stand up on their own and they can also be used as a place card by adding a guests name either on a tag or directly onto the candy tent. You can add a fun size bag of candy like M&M's or Skittles inside the tent, or any type of small favor inside a plastic bag. These can be used at your wedding or even in your welcome favor bag/basket.

I know that I have been making red and green items and I have lots more to match those, but I thought I would post these damask candy tents that I designed a while back to match a damask wedding invitation suite that I made. Here are three different styles...each flap is a different shape. You can add most anything to a candy tent to personalize it. You can add a tag with "thank you", your monogram or the guests name like I did in the picture below.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/CandyTents.jpg

I finally purchased more color ink so I should be posting several new DIY favor ideas in the next couple of days!

jtanddolly
12-14-2010, 04:39 PM
DIY Favor #8: Pillow Box

This is another great little holder for your favorite type of candy or mints. This DIY project is a little bit harder to make than a candy tent as it requires that you score a curved line, which makes it more of an advanced DIY project. Scoring a curved line is not the easiest of tasks, but it can be done with a little bit of patience. You might laugh but I place several napkins under the card stock paper and then I score the curved line with my scoring tool. There might be a tool out there for scoring curved lines or a better option than napkins, but it works for me! Worse case, if you don't have the patience to score a curved line, you can find blank pillow boxes for sell which you can jazz up with ribbon and tags.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/PillowBox.jpg

jtanddolly
12-14-2010, 05:00 PM
DIY Favor #9: French Fry Box

French Fry Boxes make super cute gift holders. They are the perfect box for putting together a small collection of gifts, like a "bear necessities" kit or even a manicure gift set pictured below in the green french fry box. They are also great for giving a food gift, like chocolates, cookies, etc. You can place them in "crystal clear party bags" that you can find at Walmart, hobby stores or party shops.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/FrenchFryBox.jpg

jtanddolly
12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
DIY Favor #10: Candy Bar Wrapper

Candy bars can make great wedding favors for either your event or to add in a gift bag/basket along with a bottle of water. I love making candy bar wrappers that not only are cute on the front, but also include an ingredients label to match the event on the back. Here is one that I made to match all of the other red and green printables that I have been posting.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/CandyBarWrapper.jpg

jtanddolly
12-14-2010, 08:37 PM
DIY Favor #11: Hotel Game #1

I think another GREAT idea of inexpensive things to include in your "Welcome Gift" for guests traveling from out of town are printable games, especially for families with children. These can help adults keep the kids entertained not only while they travel, but also during the time they have to spend in their hotel room.

"Don't Eat Pete!" is a fun game that you can include in your Welcome Bag/Basket for families traveling with children so that they have something fun to do in the hotel room inbetween wedding events. All you have to do is print the board game and add a bag of M&M's or you can put the M&Ms in a pillow box or a clear bag with a bag topper.

I found this game online but the image was blurry so I made my own. I'm posting it here for everyone as a wedding gift to you! Let me know if you like it.

All you need is a bag of M&Ms to go with the game board.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/MMDontEatPeteMine2.jpg

jtanddolly
12-14-2010, 08:43 PM
DIY Favor #12: Hotel Game #2

Here is a hotel scavenger hunt that I made, and it is another great game to include in your welcome bag/basket for your guests...especially ones traveling with children.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/ScavengerHuntHotel.jpg

If you like this game, look in my 4shared file in the link in my signature...then look in the "travel games" file and the "hotel scavenger hunt" subfile for additional photo scavenger hunts that are specific to a few of the Disney resorts like AKL, POR, All Star Music, All Star Movies and Wilderness Lodge.

I also have lots of other great printable travel games that you can include in your welcome gift or you can send in advance to anyone that is traveling with children. There are travel scavenger hunts, travel bingo, lines & dots, the license plate game, battleship...etc.

jtanddolly
12-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Leave a post and let me know what favor is your favorite so far, and if you want me to keep posting more ideas. Also, if you have made favors or things for your welcome gift...post some pictures for other DISBrides on this thread.

plutogal
12-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I thought #5 & #6 were great ideas! Did you use a machine to make the on-the-go boxes or were those cut by hand??

jtanddolly
12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought #5 & #6 were great ideas! Did you use a machine to make the on-the-go boxes or were those cut by hand??

Thanks for your post!

So far, I have made everything by hand. The only thing that I haven't cut myself are the circles and I used a hand punch for those. So all of the pictures are proof that you can make these without expensive machines. All you need is a template and thick (cardstock) scrapbook paper. I did add all of the patterns and colors to the templates in photoshop, but you can get the same look and feel with scrapbook paper. You really need heavy weight scrapbook paper or card stock to make these items. I used white cardstock that was 110 lb. weight purchased from walmart.

I have a cricut, but I haven't purchased the software so that I can use SVG files (I think that is the correct file name) to cut boxes and favor bags.

plutogal
12-16-2010, 06:06 AM
That really is impressive! Any chance you could post or PM me how you made the on the go boxes? That would be excellent as a little christmas gift next week! Such a good idea on so many levels!

jtanddolly
12-16-2010, 07:00 AM
That really is impressive! Any chance you could post or PM me how you made the on the go boxes? That would be excellent as a little christmas gift next week! Such a good idea on so many levels!

I found the original idea on:
http://www.bellesprintables.com/free-printables-1.html

I took the idea and then using photoshop, made my own template with the red and white diamond patterned paper that I also designed. The box is not very big...it is the perfect size for two on the go packets.

plutogal
12-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Oh goodness! I'm being introduced into a whole new world of crafting this is pboth exciting and dangerous at the same time!! lol

jtanddolly
12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
DIY #13: S'mores Kit

I saw a similar kit online and just had to make my own! If you are looking for something fun and FREE to do with all of your guests coming to Disney, consider going to the Free Camp Fire Sing-A-Long with Chip and Dale at the Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Campground

It generally begins around 7 p.m. during the fall/winter season and 8 p.m. beginning sometime in April through the summer. It is held near the Meadow Trading Post in the campfire area. The program begins with a sing-along led by a Disney cast member - if you've seen "Barney", you know these songs - and a marshmallow roast around two campfire rings. While this is going on, Chip and Dale make an appearance to visit with guests and sign autographs. The sing-along lasts about 40 minutes.

After the sing-along , a Disney movie is shown on a large outdoor screen.Seating is available in bleachers or on benches. There is also plenty of room to lay out a blanket or set up your own camp chairs. In the event of rain, the sing-along is still held on the porch of the Meadow Trading Post.

You may bring your own marshmallows or buy them at the Chuckwagon Snack Bar (roasting sticks - $0.49 each, Marshmallow Bag -$3.99, Hershey's Chocolate Bars - $1.99 each, or a whole s'mores kit is around $8.99; prices accurate as of May 2010). You may also buy pizza, hot dogs, candy, nachos, juice, popcorn, sodas, coffee, beer and other refreshments at the Chuckwagon Snack Bar.

The campground also has a free petting zoo and pony rides (about $5 each) that close earlier in the afternoon. These are in the "Settlement Trading Post" area - take the Ft. Wilderness internal bus. The Trail's End Restaurant is considered one of WDW's best buffet values. The Trail's End also has a carry-out window called “Trails-To-Go” 16-inch pizzas and fried chicken meals – both individually sized and family sized. If you have a free day (or your arrival day), you can go early and see the petting zoo, have a nice dinner, and then head over to the Sing-Along. It is one of Disney's least expensive Character Meet and Greet experiences and a great low-key activity when you find yourself a little over-stimulated from the theme parks.

One option for your guests is to take your own smore packets by getting a sandwich ziploc baggy and sticking graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows in them...then you can purchase a roasting stick for 49 cents when you are there. You could also add a cute bag topper to the baggy.

Here is what I put together:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/Smores1.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/Smores2.jpg

For the "roasting stick", I took a hanger and used a wire cutter to cut off the hook part of the hanger, then I bent it in half and tied a ribbon around it so that it would fit in the box. Now is the best time to buy boxes to put together a "s'mores kit" or any type of fun kit for your wedding. This box came packaged as a set of five boxes for $3.00 (I think) at Walmart. Each box measures 8.25 x 7 x 3.5 inches. A small water bottle would also easily fit in this box along with the other things to make s'mores so that your guests would have something to wash down their treat.

Another idea for making a "s'mores kit" would be to put everything into a gallon ziploc baggy then use a bag topper to hang it over the bottom of a hanger. Then you could carry the hangers with you to the Sing-A-Long and pass them out to all of your guests.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA...

FAQ:

Do you have to stay at the Campground to go to Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long?
No, the campfire sing-along and outdoor movie are available to all Disney Guests.

How do I get to Fort Wilderness?
You can take a bus from your resort to the nearest Disney theme park, water park, or Downtown Disney. Then catch the bus there to the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. You can also take a boat from the Disney's Magic Kingdom theme park. The campground has its own internal bus system. You need to take the Yellow Loop bus to the camp loop 1500 Bus Stop. This is the stop for the "Meadow Trading Post" Recreation Area. If you are unsure, just ask the bus drivers; they are very friendly and helpful. Across the street from the bus stop, you'll see a wooden foot bridge and a sign for the Meadow Recreation Area clearly directing you to the Camp Fire Program. You'll pass the volleyball court. When you arrive at the swimming pool, take the path right around the pool and behind the pool building. At this point you will cross over to the Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long area. You will see the sign, stage, seating area, screen and the conastoga wagon snackbar. It sounds like a lot of steps, but it is actually a fairly short walk.

What if I'm driving?
Take I-4 to Exit 64B. Take the right guest lane to the Magic Kingdom theme park and tell the gate guard that you are going to Fort Wilderness. Follow the signs to the campground. You will have to present photo ID at the gate. You will park at the "outpost". The campground has its own internal bus system. You need to take the Yellow Loop bus to the camp loop 1500 Bus Stop. This is the stop for the "Meadow Trading Post" Recreation Area. If you are unsure, just ask the bus drivers; they are very friendly and helpful. Across the street from the bus stop, you'll see a wooden foot bridge and a sign for the Meadow Recreation Area clearly directing you to the Camp Fire Program. You'll pass the volleyball court. When you arrive at the swimming pool, take the path right around the pool and behind the pool building. At this point you will cross over to the Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long area. You will see the sign, stage, seating area, screen and the conastoga wagon snackbar. It sounds like a lot of steps, but it is actually a fairly short walk.
Is there a charge or admission fee?

The Sing-Along and Movie are free – you can purchase S'mores kits or other refreshments
What if it rains?
There is a covered porch area that they might move the Sing-Along to if a full evening of rain is expected - the movie will be cancelled. For brief rain showers, they may pause and let you take cover until it passes.

Are there restrooms?
Yes, there are nice restrooms behind the snack bar area.

What movies are being shown?
See this month's Resort and Hotels Outdoor Movie Schedule

What other activities are there to do at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground?You can also rent boats or kayaks from the Fort Wilderness Marina. (Extra Cost)
The Electric Water Pageant can be seen from the Ft Wilderness Marina.
Pony Rides ($5 each; for children age 2 - children weighing 80 pounds or less / 10:00AM - 5:00PM)
Nightly Wagon Rides (Extra Cost)
Cane Pole Fishing ($10 - 10:00AM - 2:00PM)

jtanddolly
12-17-2010, 02:43 PM
DIY #14: Bag Topper

Bag toppers are super simple to make and can really spruce up a candy treat. You can use them with ziploc bags or my personal favorite is to use them with plastic jewelry bags that you can get at Walmart or craft stores like Hobby Lobby.

Here is a bag topper that I made for m&ms to go with the "Don't Eat Pete" game board that I posted earlier. You could put anything on your bag topper including your wedding monogram and date, simple wording like "thanks" or "welcome", etc. If you aren't computer savy and or can't afford someone to design a topper for you, you can pick out scrapbook paper that coordinates with your wedding colors and use it to make bag toppers.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/MMBagTopper.jpg

jtanddolly
12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
DIY #15: Gift Basket/Box

You don't have to spend a lot of money to make a fun "Welcome Gift" for your guests. Here is a gift basket/box (I'm not sure what to call it as the holder is a round bowl/tub that I found at Dollar General) and I assembled to make a relatively inexpensive welcome gift. This is a welcome gift I did for Christmas, but it will give you the general idea for a quick inexpensive gift that you can dress up for your guests.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/Christmas2009003.jpg

Here is a quick break down of the cost:
Holder $2.00 at Dollar General
Clear Wrapping Paper $3.99 at Michaels and it will wrap 6-10 baskets
Ribbon $1.00 - 2.00 for a 15 foot roll of wire ribbon which will wrap 3 baskets

Inexpensive things you can include in your basket:
2 Water Bottles
2 Soda Cans/Bottles
Microwave Popcorn
Candy
Cookies
Peanut Butter and/or Cheese Crackers
any type of snack food that you can purchase for lunch sacks works great!

Here is another one that I made...the clear cellophane looks better in person than in pictures:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/GiftBasket.jpg

jtanddolly
12-17-2010, 03:19 PM
DIY #16: Box for Playing Cards

If you haven't noticed...I love travel games and giving guests something to do in their hotel. You can buy playing cards for $1.00 and then you can make a new box for them that matches your wedding colors, theme or has cute wedding clipart on it. Here is one that I made for a game that I love to play with kids called "Spoons". The instructions are on the back and I put the last name on the front of the cards. I designed the box from scratch...what do you think? Now that I think about it...I should have put a heart not spade.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/PlayingCards.jpg

This would not only be great in a Welcome Basket, but it would also make a fun favor for guests to take home from the wedding. You could play off of the "two of a kind" quote.

Here are some others that I have seen:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/playingcards3.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/playing_cards_multicolor.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/playing-cards2.jpg

jtanddolly
12-17-2010, 07:27 PM
DIY #17: Sewing Kit

This is another super cute DIY project that you can put together very inexpensively for your guests. Hotels used to provide lots of amenities like sewing kits but in our economy they have cut way back and no longer have lots of little "extras". If you are planning on having a Disney wedding or a destination wedding this is a great little favor to include in your welcome gift basket, as you never know when you are traveling when you may need to fix a button on a shirt or hem on a pair of pants. You can do lots of fun things with the sewing kit like put your monogram on it or something cute like "sew glad you are here!"

All you need to make these is cardstock, a pair of scissors with a pinking edge, a couple of spools of thread in different colors, some needles, safety pins and a button (which is optional).

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/SewingKit.jpg

If you like the things that I have posted so far...make sure you leave a message for me to let me know and I will keep making more.

jtanddolly
12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
DIY Favor #18: Door Hanger

This is a great little door hanger that you can make and leave a little welcome gift for your guests.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/DoorHangerGift.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/DoorHangerGift2.jpg

jtanddolly
12-18-2010, 04:37 AM
DIY #19: Plain Door Hanger

Here is another style of door hanger that is a great addition to your welcome gift for guests staying at Disney Resorts or hotels!

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/DoorHangerBlog2.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/DoorHangerBlog.jpg

CityGirlLost
12-28-2010, 08:14 AM
These are all awesome!

The Cricut Bags, Tags and Boxes cart (or something like that) doesn't require the Design Studio or gypsy. It is made of awesome.

Tinker Bell Fan
12-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Dolly - you are amazing! I love these designs and ideas!! I especially love the water bottle, candy wrapper and the "don't eat Pete" game/ideas. Thanks!

jtanddolly
12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Dolly - you are amazing! I love these designs and ideas!! I especially love the water bottle, candy wrapper and the "don't eat Pete" game/ideas. Thanks!

Thanks! We played the "Don't Eat Pete" game with extended family this Christmas and it was a lot of fun.

librarygeek
01-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow, I love everything you've done! I would really like to try some of the items that you've posted for my welcome bags for out of town guests. In particular I'm thinking the water bottle wrappers, mini tissue box, pillow box, candy bar wrapper, and box for playing cards. The water bottle wrapper tutorial you posted was super helpful. Do you have anything or know of anywhere that would have tutorials for the others that I mentioned?

Just bookmarked this thread in my wedding folder :)

jtanddolly
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow, I love everything you've done! I would really like to try some of the items that you've posted for my welcome bags for out of town guests. In particular I'm thinking the water bottle wrappers, mini tissue box, pillow box, candy bar wrapper, and box for playing cards. The water bottle wrapper tutorial you posted was super helpful. Do you have anything or know of anywhere that would have tutorials for the others that I mentioned?

Just bookmarked this thread in my wedding folder :)

What specific questions did you have for making the individual items?

redboxcar
01-06-2011, 03:00 AM
These are all so beautiful!

I'm wondering how you affixed the candy bag toppers to the jewelry bags?

Thanks. =)

jtanddolly
01-06-2011, 06:59 AM
These are all so beautiful!

I'm wondering how you affixed the candy bag toppers to the jewelry bags?

Thanks. =)

I prefer to have a clean look so I use double sided tape to attach it to the jewlery bags. Specifically, I use the scotch brand tape with a yellow label that I get at Walmart in the office supply section.

You can also use a staple, or you can use a hole punch and punch two holes, thread a ribbon through and tie a bow.

librarygeek
01-06-2011, 03:24 PM
What specific questions did you have for making the individual items?

Well, mostly I was wondering about size and everything. For instance, the box for the playing cards - did you make a template somehow? How did you know how to do that, or is there somewhere I can find one?

jtanddolly
01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Well, mostly I was wondering about size and everything. For instance, the box for the playing cards - did you make a template somehow? How did you know how to do that, or is there somewhere I can find one?

I start with blank templates for everything I make. Half of the templates I designed myself using Photoshop and some I found blank templates online. Once I have the template I use photoshop to fill it with color, designs and words. If you are looking for templates the best thing to do is use google. I found a playing card box generator online where I could input the size of my cards and it generated a blank template for me to fit the cards I wanted to use. I think it was actually a website for magicians so they could make their own playing card boxes. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the website.

If you don't have photoshop and/or aren't computer savy...you can always print out a blank template and then use it as a guide for scoring and triming scrapbook paper. Or you can work with a designer who can design them for you matching your wedding color and theme, and then you can print and assemble the designs. I do that for a lot of brides and children's parties.

Hope that answers your question.

librarygeek
01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks, that helps! I've fooled around with photoshop a little bit so I think I could figure it out... if not I'm sure my fiancé can help me, he's a computer guy ;)

figmentfan814
01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
DIY #13: S'mores Kit

I saw a similar kit online and just had to make my own! If you are looking for something fun and FREE to do with all of your guests coming to Disney, consider going to the Free Camp Fire Sing-A-Long with Chip and Dale at the Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Campground

Here is what I put together:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/Smores1.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/Smores2.jpg

For the "roasting stick", I took a hanger and used a wire cutter to cut off the hook part of the hanger, then I bent it in half and tied a ribbon around it so that it would fit in the box. Now is the best time to buy boxes to put together a "s'mores kit" or any type of fun kit for your wedding. This box came packaged as a set of five boxes for $3.00 (I think) at Walmart. Each box measures 8.25 x 7 x 3.5 inches. A small water bottle would also easily fit in this box along with the other things to make s'mores so that your guests would have something to wash down their treat.

Another idea for making a "s'mores kit" would be to put everything into a gallon ziploc baggy then use a bag topper to hang it over the bottom of a hanger. Then you could carry the hangers with you to the Sing-A-Long and pass them out to all of your guests.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA...

FAQ:

Do you have to stay at the Campground to go to Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long?
What other activities are there to do at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground?You can also rent boats or kayaks from the Fort Wilderness Marina. (Extra Cost)
The Electric Water Pageant can be seen from the Ft Wilderness Marina.
Pony Rides ($5 each; for children age 2 - children weighing 80 pounds or less / 10:00AM - 5:00PM)
Nightly Wagon Rides (Extra Cost)
Cane Pole Fishing ($10 - 10:00AM - 2:00PM)

I just had to say that I love the s'more kits you made. For our welcome party we had a private hay ride for our guests and invited them to go to the campfire beforehand. The private hay ride was an affordable thing for us to do for our guests. The wagon held around 25 people (varies depending on combination of adults and children) and was only $300 at the time.

jtanddolly
01-08-2011, 06:52 AM
I just had to say that I love the s'more kits you made. For our welcome party we had a private hay ride for our guests and invited them to go to the campfire beforehand. The private hay ride was an affordable thing for us to do for our guests. The wagon held around 25 people (varies depending on combination of adults and children) and was only $300 at the time.

Thanks! They were fun to make and a great little gift to give others. Your idea is GREAT as it is an affordable get together!

For other brides, if your budget is already stretched thin...don't forget that "Chip and Dale's" sing along / campfire is free and they show a Disney movie (for free) afterwards. Also, Chip and Dale sign autographs. What a great way to get your guests together for a fun event!!!

jtanddolly
01-08-2011, 05:18 PM
DIY Wedding Tip:

I really need to make a few more things...I have a chapstick holder that is great to include with a welcome gift or makes a great favor for wedding showers and a matchbook holder for breath mints. Until I get those made, here is a great idea for your wedding reception!

Just for fun...if you want to go an extra mile...put baskets in the restrooms for your guests during the reception. You can include a stain stick or stain wipes, hand sanitizer, aspirin, lotion, handy wipes, a few sewing kits (if you make them...or you can buy one mini sewing kit), safety pins, breath mints, etc. Here is a poem to go with it:

So happy you are here to share in our special day
But should something happen to go astray,
Please help yourself to the contents within,
Wet wipes, hand lotion and even aspirin.
Use only what you need and leave the rest,
It may also be useful to another guest.
So repair the damage that may have been done,
Then hurry on back and join in the fun!

Compliments of the Newlyweds!

You could even adapt this poem to fit your welcome gift basket or a "bear necessities" kit.

Also, I love when brides put flower arrangements in the restrooms. It is another added expense, but it really makes you smile to see the little extras details that a bride takes to make her day special.

jtanddolly
01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Here is another fun tip for making all of your DIY projects:

Instead of killing yourself trying to make a bunch of printables...invite your bridesmaids/maid of honor and some best friends over for a fun "crafts" night. (Depending on your relationship...invite your Mom and future Mother-in-Law). Have some finger foods (eat before you craft!) and drinks...get a girlie movie (something with a wedding theme like "Maid of Honor" with Patrick Dempsey, "Father of the Bride", "My Best Friends Wedding", "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past", "The Notebook", etc.) and spend the night making your water bottle labels, candy bar wrappers, etc. Make sure that you have several scissors and plenty of double sided tape. The scotch brand double sided tape at Walmart (it has a yellow cover) works well for these projects.

Know that your friends may not be perfectionists, but it is okay...the ones that can't cut a straight line, can make the sewing kits and wrap the thread around the piece of cardstock or wrap the chocolate nuggets. Make sure you have everything printed before they come over. You wouldn't want to have ink and/or printer problems after they show up to where you aren't able to use their help.

Also, check pricing to see if it is cheaper to have everything printed at a print shop or at home with your own ink. When you start printing your DIY projects...make sure you have replacement cartridges. For my printer that is around $50. I usually use an entire cartridge of blank and color ink for one event or party. (Yes I make that many DIY projects including invites, favors, decorations, table numbers, place cards, etc.)

Send out a cute "e-vite" to save a little on money and tell them to bring scissors, paper cutters and bone folders (if they have them). Most girls love to do arts and crafts so this could be a fun evening for all. Leave a few things that you don't have them make so that there will be a few surprises in their welcome bag.

jtanddolly
01-09-2011, 06:03 AM
DIY Tip #3: If you aren't computer savy, consider printing just the template for the DIY projects that are more than just cutting out a rectangle like boxes, favor bags, etc. onto the backside of scrapbook paper or cardstock. Then you will have guidelines to make the different items and the guidelines will be on the inside of the item you are making.

jtanddolly
01-14-2011, 05:44 AM
If you are looking for a fun and unusual gift holder for a wedding favor or welcome gift, you might consider using a lunchbox! Here is a picture:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/IMG_2688.jpg

This would make a cute holder for the smaller size water bottles, snack packs and candy! You could also include a fun Disney trinket or two, like a small stuffed Mickey and/or Minnie.

Even if you don't do this for every guest, this would make a cute gift for your ring bearer and/or flower girl. Go to the Dollar Tree (where everything is one dollar, they have TONS of Disney things and you could easily fill up a lunchbox and not spend a ton of money). Some ideas for things to put in the box for children include:
toothbrush and toothpaste (there are lots of cute disney ones out there)
puzzle book
coloring book and crayons
miniature toys from Dollar Tree
snack packs
bandaids (disney of course!)
View Master with Disney pics
small stuffed Mickey or Minnie
travel games (I have lots of printable ones in my 4shared in the link in my signature)

The best time to find these is during the back to school sales. You can find them throughout the year, but back to school is the best time to find them around.

jtanddolly
01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Another way to package up your welcome gifts is to use "Gable Boxes". I LOVE how these turn out and they don't require a ton of things to fill them up! Here are a few examples:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/IMG_1492.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/WelcomeBoxes.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/welcomebox.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/gablebox.jpg

You can find these at most craft stores and they fold up nicely for transport!

jtanddolly
01-14-2011, 06:11 AM
I thought I would post a few pictures if you wanted to make a "travel game" pack for your guests to include in your "welcome gift" or if you know they are driving to Disney, this would make a GREAT gift to send in advance for their drive! These are all things I made for my son's birthday party, but I thought it would give you an idea of what you could do for a GREAT gift that you can make yourself for a destination wedding.

These travel games can all be found in my 4shared file along with ones for Princesses and Mickey and the Gang here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/TfcXuCNe/Travel_Games.html
AND here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/_L6cCi_g/Travel_Games.html

I made all of the holders and every game. The only thing that I purchased was the actual food items, crayons to go in the box I made and the pencil bag. Again, I know they are all for a Cars birthday party, but imagine what they would look like using your monogram or something fun to commemorate your wedding.

First, I love to make travel games and put them in pencil bags as you can throw it in a glove box or under the chair in the car and leave it there until your next road trip.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/FavorBag.jpg

A picture of all the things that I made and put in the pencil bag:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/PartyFavors.jpg

Some of the individual items:

Here are some of the travel games that I made. If you make them, have them laminated and include a dry erase marker so that they can be used over and over!
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/IMG_2687.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/IMG_2686.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/MMBagTopper.jpg

I love rolls of life savors when I travel! As a child my dad would grab a roll at a gas station when he filled up, then we would have fun seeing what the next color is and who wanted that color.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/LifeSaver.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/CandyBar.jpg

Crayon Box (that I made!):
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/CrayonBox.jpg

I know this is a "Pit Pass" that I made for my son's birthday party. But it is just to show you that you could make a fun badge for a lanyard with a picture of the castle or something fun that commemorates your wedding/disney. Then on the backside you could put the "schedule of events" that way it will give your guests something fun to wear at the park and a way to remember what time all of the events are scheduled! Mine was 3.43 x 6 inches, which is a good size if you are going to put your wedding schedule on the back.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Cars%20Birthday%20Party/PitPass.jpg

TIPS if you decide to make these!
1. Back to school is the best time to buy the pencil bags and crayon boxes as you can get pencil bags for $1.00 and 24 packs of crayons for 25 cents!
2. You can get a small laminating machine at Walmart that is not too expensive and laminating sheets so that you can laminate everything yourself.
3. Walmart sells dry erase markers that have erasers on the end that are perfect for the travel games. If you include them, your guests will have a way to not only mark the games but clean them up!

jtanddolly
01-14-2011, 06:26 AM
I couldn't resist posting these items that one of the DISBrides (acwinsett - Andreah) made for her guests.

Here is a link to her PJ: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2050852&highlight=andreah+brian&page=29

Make sure you check out the link to this page to see everything she put in her "passport" that she made for her guests! She has great examples of things to include. This passport is something you could make instead of a newsletter. Wouldn't you like to be a guest at her wedding!

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/777023759_svV3G-L.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/777023072_eU27c-L.jpg

The past few posts are to remind you to think outside of the regular gift bag. There are lots of cute ways that you can package your welcome gift and/or wedding favors for your guests!

jtanddolly
01-14-2011, 06:38 AM
If you like all of the ideas that I have posted to date...let me know and I will keep posting more. I haven't had a ton of responses so I don't know if this thread is needed.

jtanddolly
01-16-2011, 08:16 AM
If at some point during your "honeymoon" you are going to be driving around in a car...consider making a cute sign or better yet...ask your matron of honor to help so that you don't end up with a car that has shoe pollish and who knows what all over it. Or maybe you are having a "disney" wedding at home and then you could definitely do something like this!

Here are some pictures for ideas of how to make pretty signs for the car:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Requests/diy-justmarried-car-sign1.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Requests/diy-justmarried-car-sign.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Requests/image_jpeg.jpg

Here is a list of things you will need to make this:
- Just Married printed on 11×17 printer paper in the color of your choice
- A printer
- A thin piece of cardboard or illustration board
- Spray mount
- Cutting tool (scissors, a box cuter or a paper cutter)
- Ribbon
- Suction Cups
- Glue Gun
- Super Glue
- A hole-punch
- Decorations (Fake flowers, shells, buttons, feathers, lace etc.)
- Ribbon

I love that you can use suction cups (like you use in showers or on windows) to attach this to your car!!!

Goofy4Ever
01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Dolly, I love your neat ideas... I am trying to make my own centerpieces for my at home reception in November.. I would love to see any ideas.
Thanks!

Mindyjoy
01-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I am not very crafty but I love seeing all your ideas. Please keep posting. :hippie:

jtanddolly
01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Dolly, I love your neat ideas... I am trying to make my own centerpieces for my at home reception in November.. I would love to see any ideas.
Thanks!

What theme are you going with for your wedding? Also, what colors are you using? Having a theme can help you with your centerpieces. It doesn't have to be princess or disney, it can be fall or nature and incorporate leaves, branches and even birds. You get the idea. No matter the theme...you can never go wrong with flower arrangements for centerpieces! I love it when half the tables have tall arrangements and the other half have lower arrangements. Table cloths, linens and ribbon can make a really big impact. Be on the look out for good deals on glass candle holders or unique apothecary jars as you can use them for decorations. Finally, use pictures! For table numbers you can do pictures of you and your future husband at 1 year old for table 1, 2 years old for table 2, etc. Or you can put your engagement pictures around the gift table or with the guest book.

I do a lot of paper crafts so they are more things like favors, invitations, STDs, table numbers, place cards, menus, escort cards or seating charts. That said, there are some great ideas for centerpieces on the DISBoards and online.

Here are some examples of centerpieces with a "nature" themed wedding...the first picture is from the cocktail hour and those are coffee beans in the tall centerpiece:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/IMG_0197.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/IMG_0194.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/IMG_0214.jpg

I love how this bride used her favors as centerpiece decorations in addition to the flowers. You could even wrap boxes to give height to flowers even if they aren't actual favors:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/DEGFloralHighEndDTEvent20.jpg

If you don't have a big budget, you can always incorporate fruit and leaves into your centerpiece as they are a lot less expensive than flowers. Think about all kinds of fruits like grapes for a tuscan themed wedding. Here is an example:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/lemon-leaf-garland-3.jpg

Look through other DISBrides planning journals to get ideas like the two below, and spend lots of time looking online searching using google and party websites for decoration ideas.

Check out Rebecca's (Pixiegirl) centerpiece that she made using a white pumpkin to go along with her "cinderella" themed wedding (post #25). It would also be great for a fall wedding:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2492937&page=2

Check out Safflower's idea for using 3-d models of the different disney attractions:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2238430&page=3

Goofy4Ever
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks Dolly..our colors are hot pink n bright orange...I can't decide-lol. The event is really going to be low key and I have a small budget that I think flowers might be out of the question. I am going to see what those ladies did. Keep any ideas coming... I do love the picture idea as that would be a great way to incorporate the wedding photos!!!

jtanddolly
01-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks Dolly..our colors are hot pink n bright orange...I can't decide-lol. The event is really going to be low key and I have a small budget that I think flowers might be out of the question. I am going to see what those ladies did. Keep any ideas coming... I do love the picture idea as that would be a great way to incorporate the wedding photos!!!

Check with your local rental company on pricing table linens. Even if you don't have a big budget, consider having nice tablecloths and possibly napkins. Adding color with linens can really make a BIG impact! If the napkins are too expensive then purchase nice big paper napkins at your local party store in one of your colors. I would say 100% rent nice tablecloths.

Depending on where you live, look around for leaves that you can use to add around pictures or votive candles. Check in your friends yards to see what they might have growing. I love magnolia leaves as they are beautiful and you can even spray paint them gold and silver (you might try other colors as well). There are lots of leaves that grow on vines that can be pretty on tables. Just make sure you don't get any poisonous ones! Since you are getting married in November and you are using orange, you can do small pumpkins and even fall leaves. Or you can do something similar to the picture above with oranges and lemons but use pumpkins and other miniature gourds.

Also, when Hobby Lobby has their ribbon on sale for 50% off, go buy lots of ribbon and use it around napkins, on chairs, etc. If you can sew a straight line and have or can borrow a sewing machine, look for inexpensive fabric and then you can cut and sew long strips to decorate the chairs and tables. (look at the third picture in post #67 above).

Use your favors to help decorate the tables. You can make the "candy tent" that I posted on page two post #24 as it stands up and would be a great addition to the tables at each place. Buy a heavy scrapbook paper when it is on sell and look for a pattern oline. Then all you have to do is trace the pattern, cut, use a bone folder to get a good crease and add your favorite candy inside. This would be an inexpensive but nice favor that would help liven up your table!

I have sort of mentioned it but depending on what time your reception is...use candles. You can buy one big glass holder for the center and then put small votive candles around it. For the big glass holder you can put one candle in it with something fun like flowers, coffee beans, water and even fish (although...what does one do with fish after the party), strands of pearls or another fun strand of beads that you can buy around christmas, candy, etc.

If you can't afford flowers, be on the lookout for inexpensive feathers. Here are a few pictures from a bridal shower on a budget...and guess what it uses...your colors! The best advice that I got from this post is a GREAT way to incorporate BLING inexpensively is to pull apart a beaded curtain rod. This is one of my favorite tips for getting LOTS of bling on a budget. I also love how she added orange slices onto the glasses to give them a little shot of color. Finally, notice how she uses lots of ribbon!

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/hollywoodbridalshower_fxsegment_2.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/hollywoodbridalshower_fxsegment_1.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/hollywoodbridalshower_fxsegment_2.jpg

For a few more pictures look here:
http://www.hostessblog.com/2010/09/behind-the-scenes-hollywood-bridal-shower-segment-for-fx/

Also as mentioned before...look online for inspiration. I love "hostess with the mostess"...here is her website and blog:
http://www.hostesswiththemostess.com
http://www.hostessblog.com/
look through all types of parties to get ideas for table decorations...not just weddings. You might be surprised what kind of decorations you find for bridal showers, baby showers and birthdays.

Goofy4Ever
01-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Dolly!!!

jtanddolly
01-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Just found another few ideas. Be on the lookout for fun inexpensive things that you can use as centerpieces.

Photo display stands are a great way to create a truly custom centerpiece that perfectly matches your theme and occasion! A few ideas include: clip on engagement photos, hang different cards or gift tags with your monogram along with die-cut numbers of the date being celebrated – or favorite pictures from different stages of your lives growing up….and so on. If you’re really ambitious, decorate the photos like you would for a scrapbook with embellishments and colored paper/designs that match your party decór!.

The cascading Desktop Folio Display Stand shown here is from the Container Store and at one point was on sale for $14.99! (regularly $24.99)...so be on the lookout in case it goes on sale again. You might not be able to afford one of these for every table, but you could put them at every other table with a lower or less expensive centerpiece on the others.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10017514&N=&Ntt=Desktop+Folio+Display+Stand+

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/cs_centerpiece_display.jpg

Here is another idea for how a bride decorated her wedding with a "carnival" theme using pictures:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/carnivalwedding3.jpg

qtsugarangl
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Here is another idea for how a bride decorated her wedding with a "carnival" theme using pictures:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Pics/carnivalwedding3.jpg

Dolly, do you know what type of flower those blue/purple ones are on the table? They are so pretty!
Thank you so much for all that you have posted so far! I have been saving most of these to start on this summer! :goodvibes

jtanddolly
01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Dolly, do you know what type of flower those blue/purple ones are on the table? They are so pretty!
Thank you so much for all that you have posted so far! I have been saving most of these to start on this summer! :goodvibes

Unfortunatley, I'm not sure of the name.

tinkerbell 766
01-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi Dolly!!!
Just stopping in to thank you for all these great ideas and for your continuing generosity to all the brides on here!!!!
I am sure there are so many brides who have benefited from your unrivalled talent!!!
Keep up the good work sweetie!!
Lots of love to you :hug:

figmentfan814
01-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Wow! I love all of your stuff. It is so creative and you have lots of great ideas that would be nice to use for lots of occasions. Thank you for sharing :goodvibes

jtanddolly
01-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi Dolly!!!
Just stopping in to thank you for all these great ideas and for your continuing generosity to all the brides on here!!!!
I am sure there are so many brides who have benefited from your unrivalled talent!!!
Keep up the good work sweetie!!
Lots of love to you :hug:

Thanks for stopping by!

Wow! I love all of your stuff. It is so creative and you have lots of great ideas that would be nice to use for lots of occasions. Thank you for sharing :goodvibes

Awww...thanks! You are right...my things work for weddings, parties and every day occasions!

jtanddolly
02-03-2011, 06:46 AM
I posted how to make a photobooth on a bride's PJ that is having an "at home wedding" and thought I would post a link for anyone else that might want to make one for their at home wedding.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39810365&postcount=137

Disney845
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Dolly

Just wanted to add my praise for all of your craft projects.

Thanks for sharing everything.

Tinker Bell Fan
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
If at some point during your "honeymoon" you are going to be driving around in a car...consider making a cute sign or better yet...ask your matron of honor to help so that you don't end up with a car that has shoe pollish and who knows what all over it. Or maybe you are having a "disney" wedding at home and then you could definitely do something like this!

Here are some pictures for ideas of how to make pretty signs for the car:

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Requests/diy-justmarried-car-sign1.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Requests/diy-justmarried-car-sign.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp232/jtanddolly/Requests/image_jpeg.jpg

Here is a list of things you will need to make this:
- Just Married printed on 11×17 printer paper in the color of your choice
- A printer
- A thin piece of cardboard or illustration board
- Spray mount
- Cutting tool (scissors, a box cuter or a paper cutter)
- Ribbon
- Suction Cups
- Glue Gun
- Super Glue
- A hole-punch
- Decorations (Fake flowers, shells, buttons, feathers, lace etc.)
- Ribbon

I love that you can use suction cups (like you use in showers or on windows) to attach this to your car!!!

My DH & I were talking about doing something like this to our car for our VR in April. We'll be driving down so we'll have our car. I was thinking of getting magnetic sheets and painting or using waterproof markers to write something like "Just Re-Married" or "Married Again" (you get the picture). I like the idea of decorating the sign!! Thanks for the ideas!

NOMNOMNOMS
02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I was definitely planning on doing one of these DIY photobooths! Jtanddolly, Thank you soo much for sharing...since the reception is at ADH we're unable to have a backdrop but hopefully all these props will spice it up! You are AWESOME!

d4re26elieve
05-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Hi!

I am getting married in December and my fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon to Disney World. I would love to give out personalized Disney ornaments as wedding favors to our guests. I love the mickey head ornaments that you posted links to, but I'm wondering, how do you personalize those? Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Racey
05-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Hi Dolly - i'm loving your ideas - you are so creative, i wish I were more like that!

Can I ask how you made the monogam on your water bottle label - I LOVE IT and would really appreciate "borrowing" it if you allow me :thumbsup2

jtanddolly
05-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi!

I am getting married in December and my fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon to Disney World. I would love to give out personalized Disney ornaments as wedding favors to our guests. I love the mickey head ornaments that you posted links to, but I'm wondering, how do you personalize those? Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Those are a little bit harder to personalize. The round balls are much easier to paint, add glitter, crystals and write on using paint pens. If you found one similar to the Mickey I had, you will need to find a surface that doesn't have glitter on it and write your initials/monogram and date using a paint pen. My ornament was a "santa mickey" and the bag is a place that could be personalized.

Hi Dolly - i'm loving your ideas - you are so creative, i wish I were more like that!

Can I ask how you made the monogam on your water bottle label - I LOVE IT and would really appreciate "borrowing" it if you allow me :thumbsup2

I used photoshop to create the water bottle label and monogram. I have a party printables company and make monograms, party favors and stationary for weddings and parties to match themes and colors. So glad that you like it!

jtanddolly
05-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Here is another cute poem for flip flops if you want to leave them in a cute bucket for any of your female guests that feet hurt from heels:

We are so happy you are here to share in our special day
But should your heels be causing you dismay
Please help yourself to a pair of flip flops within
They are sure to help your feet and give your face a grin
Then hurry on back to the dance floor and join in the fun
Because our wedding reception is no where near done

The Newlyweds

You could change the poem up if you won't have dancing by saying...
Then hurry back to the wedding and join in the fun
Because our wedding reception has just begun

Watch for Old Navy when they have their $1.00 flip flop sale, or Michaels and Hobby Lobby.