PDA

View Full Version : The good the bad the ugly of OKW renovations (update pg 13)

Pages : [1] 2

dianeschlicht
12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I was pretty critical of the first photos of the OKW renovations, but I determined that I would reserve judgment until I stayed in a renovated unit. Well we are here in 3621...a renovated 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond area.

First of all...I know I've mentioned it before, but I HATE Turtle Pond! I was so hoping I'd get our request of building 45 or 46, but with the computers being down today, check in was a bit chaotic, so I figured that was the reason for not getting our request. This is the first time we haven't gotten our request. We don't always make one, but every time we have made a request, we have gotten it.

The renovations are some positive and some really negative, but I'll try to be fair in my evaluations.

The good:
*The new upholstery on the sofa and love seat looks very nice.
* I really like the braided rug. In fact, that is about the only "new" thing that truly fits the OKW theme.
*Surprisingly, I kind of like the new dark stain on the dining table. It does look so much better than the "pickled" finish it previously had.
*Granite....love it. Very nice subdued color, and is the only part of the renovation that has a rich look to it.
*The roman shades are nice....BUT...the mechanism to open and close them stinks!
*The kept the old art work...good, but now it doesn't go with the rest of the decor.

The bad and Ugly:
*Why oh why did they keep the old cupboards that are broken and beat up???? They tried to make them look different by putting a "finish" on the old knobs....It didn't work.
*The fake wood floor....UGLYYYYYYY!!!!! It has a strange finish on it that looks dirty all the time, and whomever installed it didn't make sure the floor was totally level underneath, so there are bumps and little "hills" in it....looks incredibly cheap.
*Color in the livning room. It just doesn't look like Victorian 1900's Key West. Looks more like Beach club updates. Too light.
*The coffee table finish....UGLYYYYYY!!! It looks and feels like a cream and aqua allegator!
*Upholstery on the sleeper chair and side chair in the master.....UGLYYYYYY!!!
*Same goes for the dark headboard in the master. It really doesn't fit the theme at all, and the bedspread looks like another Beach club reject.
*What's with the strange Italianate lamps in the master? They just don't fit ANYTHING about the theme or the decor.
* I was especially disappointed to see they didn't change some of the simple things that really needed to be addressed.
For example: mismatched door handles with different metal colors between hinges and handles. What is with that???? I started noticing this "fix" at OKW a couple of years ago, and I was so hoping it would be made right again with the renovation, but that didn't happen.
*The old outlets and light switches: For the past 3-4 years we have complained about the loose outlets that are so worn out plugs wont stay plugged in. At least this unit STILL HAS THIS PROBLEM!!! Replacing receptacles is about the easiest and cheapest fix around....Why was that not done????
*The new "updated" thermostat....There is nothing about this that makes it comfortable at all. You are either too hot or too cold...no happy medium, and no way I can see to make it work correctly to make you comfortable. It's cool here today, and the room alternates between being too hot and stuffy and too cold. Have no idea what to do about it.
*BIG disappointment with the loss of the unique finish on the bathroom wall. I loved that shabby chic paint job, and now the solid color just looks bland.

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? There was even some of the cove tile in the master bath that has been painted over to make it look the right color again....Tacky! On top of it all, the corners are so dirty and stained, they look worse than before. Removing the tile from the kitchen floor looks like a downgrade too. The whole place just kind of feels a bit low end compared to the impression I had the first time I stayed at OKW 15 years ago.

jade1
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
That's too bad. Well at least your missing 10 degrees right now. Have fun.

Deb & Bill
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
How did I know that this would be your response? We'll be at OKW in Jan if the BLT one bedroom waitlist doesn't come through. And I'm sure I'll feel the same way.

dianeschlicht
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
How did I know that this would be your response? We'll be at OKW in Jan if the BLT one bedroom waitlist doesn't come through. And I'm sure I'll feel the same way.

Deb, I'll admit the photos had me anticipating not loving it because of the lack of fit with the theme, but I was surprised that I was so much more disappointed than I expected to be. I expected that the lack of theme wouldn't matter so much if I liked the fresh new feel. Unfortunately...it doesn't have a fresh new feel. Some of it's new, but most of it looks like a cheap facelift...doesn't quit hit the mark.

MELSMICE
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I'll be there in a few weeks & we have asked & are hoping for a refurbed unit. We'll be a in 2BR.

I've always loved OKW & hope these refurbs actually don't devalue it.

Sammie
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Between the products not holding up well at BLT and this shabby redo of OKW, neither makes me feel they are spending our dues well.

mvc1997
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Just returned from a renovated GV on Turtle Pond (dislike Turtle Pond too) and I agree with many of your views.
I was disappointed with the decor and felt most of it will not be able to withstand the usage, ie the shades on the patio doors. Really dislike them, wish they left the wood blinds on the doors.

The floor is not going to last either, already had a few loose planks!

The GV master bathroom has changed, two pedestal sinks replace the vanity, no place to put your toiletries out of sight.

Overall furniture looked painted dark brown, and looks cheap.
Sorry cause OKW is my favorite, wish they refurbished it the way it was.

And don't even get me started on the DDP! OMG!! Can they get rid of it and get different menus back?? The food is standard and not very good!

On a happy note, we really enjoyed being with the whole family for Thanksgiving! Son & family live in a different state and nothing could spoil our family gathering!

Thanks to everyone on the pool question before our trip. Everyone enjoyed the castleslide!

Maistre Gracey
12-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I was pretty critical of the first photos of the OKW renovations, but I determined that I would reserve judgment until I stayed in a renovated unit. Well we are here in 3621...a renovated 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond area.

First of all...I know I've mentioned it before, but I HATE Turtle Pond! I was so hoping I'd get our request of building 45 or 46, but with the computers being down today, check in was a bit chaotic, so I figured that was the reason for not getting our request. This is the first time we haven't gotten our request. We don't always make one, but every time we have made a request, we have gotten it.

The renovations are some positive and some really negative, but I'll try to be fair in my evaluations.

The good:
* I really like the braided rug. In fact, that is about the only "new" thing that truly fits the OKW theme.
*Surprisingly, I kind of like the new dark stain on the dining table. It does look so much better than the "pickled" finish it previously had.
*Granite....love it. Very nice subdued color, and is the only part of the renovation that has a rich look to it.
*The roman shades are nice....BUT...the mechanism to open and close them stinks!
*The kept the old art work...good, but now it doesn't go with the rest of the decor.

The bad and Ugly:
*Why oh why did they keep the old cupboards that are broken and beat up???? They tried to make them look different by putting a "finish" on the old knobs....It didn't work.
*The fake wood floor....UGLYYYYYYY!!!!! It has a strange finish on it that looks dirty all the time, and whomever installed it didn't make sure the floor was totally level underneath, so there are bumps and little "hills" in it....looks incredibly cheap.
*Color in the livning room. It just doesn't look like Victorian 1900's Key West. Looks more like Beach club updates. Too light.
*The coffee table finish....UGLYYYYYY!!! It looks and feels like a cream and aqua allegator!
*Same goes for the dark headboard in the master. It really doesn't fit the theme at all, and the bedspread looks like another Beach club reject.
*What's with the strange Italianate lamps in the master? They just don't fit ANYTHING about the theme or the decor.
* I was especially disappointed to see they didn't change some of the simple things that really needed to be addressed.
For example: mismatched door handles with different metal colors between hinges and handles. What is with that???? I started noticing this "fix" at OKW a couple of years ago, and I was so hoping it would be made right again with the renovation, but that didn't happen.
*The old outlets and light switches: For the past 3-4 years we have complained about the loose outlets that are so worn out plugs wont stay plugged in. At least this unit STILL HAS THIS PROBLEM!!! Replacing receptacles is about the easiest and cheapest fix around....Why was that not done????
*The new "updated" thermostat....There is nothing about this that makes it comfortable at all. You are either too hot or too cold...no happy medium, and no way I can see to make it work correctly to make you comfortable. It's cool here today, and the room alternates between being too hot and stuffy and too cold. Have no idea what to do about it.
*BIG disappointment with the loss of the unique finish on the bathroom wall. I loved that shabby chic paint job, and now the solid color just looks bland.

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? There was even some of the cove tile in the master bath that has been painted over to make it look the right color again....Tacky! On top of it all, the corners are so dirty and stained, they look worse than before. Removing the tile from the kitchen floor looks like a downgrade too. The whole place just kind of feels a bit low end compared to the impression I had the first time I stayed at OKW 15 years ago.
Wow.. That was a great, in depth, thoughtful, and fair review.

The fake wood looking cheap--> I thought the same thing from the original pics posted some time back.

I have yet to stay at OKW. I want to, but the wife won't let me.
I do as I'm told.

MG

Shadeaux
12-01-2010, 11:49 PM
We were in 4621 last month; I agree with a lot of what you mentioned. The roman shades looked okay, but it takes forever to open & close them with that weird pulley system.

I disliked the look of the fake wood floors in the pictures I'd seen, but in person, I thought it looked pretty good. Ours didn't have any of the bumps or hills you described and the finish looked very nice. I wonder if they installed two different types of flooring in the units.

All of the outlets & light switches in our unit looked new.
I was also very disappointed that they repainted the bathroom wall.

I'm still trying to figure out why the heck that coffee table was painted the way it was. Is it supposed to look like something?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that new thermostat. Not being able to switch from heat to air conditioning is a real pain this time of year.

In my opinion, OKW has lost that 'wow' factor. We still love the resort as a whole, but sadly, the units aren't on the level they were when we purchased in '94.

lisaviolet
12-02-2010, 01:51 AM

The good:

The bad and Ugly:

First - thanks so much for posting.

I need a sighing sad icon!!!!

So sorry Diane. Thank you so much for such an in-depth and thorough critique. We all appreciate it.

I knew the floor would not get by you - it looks so cheap in the pictures. And I too am going to miss the unique wall in the bathroom.

Nice to hear about the table though. :goodvibes At least there was a pleasant surprise there.

Okay, hmmm - it's very late and I'm sad about the outcome. Oh well. Smiling. At you. Here's to you having a fabulous time and having a great meet with everyone. :santa:

Thanks so much Diane.

rmcildw2m
12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
We just got back home on monday the 29 th , from staying at OKW in a 1 br that was not remodled and it looked great ,you could see some wear and tear but not much .We were in the millers pond area and they closed that bus stop and moved it right in front of ouir building so that was great for us, a very short walk. From what i am reading it sounds like they are only giving a face lift to the rooms and not a true remodle to the room.

Coach81
12-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Wow.. this is upsetting.. our first experience with DVC several years ago was at an OKW one bedroom.. we LOVED IT.. sorry to read this... we do hope to stay there again someday.. hope things improve.

staceymay00
12-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the in depth review. We will be at OKW later this month...our first stay at our home resort. Since we are new members and have not stayed in an original unit I'm curious how we'll feel about the new design (assuming we get a refurbished unit). Based on pictures I actually like the refurbished look better than the original design (ducking for cover now ;) - I know how much the longer term owners like the original design). The new rooms may not fit the OKW theme as well, that I will agree with, but I can live with that.

We bought DVC to have kitchen/laundry while staying on site. What swayed us to buy at OKW was the more spacious villas, the laid back more casual feel of the resort and the condo layout vs. hotel feel, not the interior design of the rooms. Maybe the new rooms will appeal to us more since we don't know what we missed with the old design. I hope that is the case...guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

Hope you have a great trip!

ETA: One thing I forget to mention...I've noticed that anytime we redo a surface in our 30 yr old house, even if it is just painting, it makes other things that are not new look that much worse. It does not surprise me that the cabinets and tile look like they should have been replaced as well. Would have been nice if they had done so, but I suppose too expensive to include.

rwcmath
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Are the floors slippery?

Simba's Mom
12-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks so much for your very well-done review. One thing I'm wondering about is the sound level with the new floors. Do you notice an increase in the sound level, either within your villa or from outside?
Also, I'm wondering about the toilets. Are they the extremely loud and powerful ones that sound like the whole villa's about to take off? As you can tell, I'm very concerned about sound. I always thought of OKW as peaceful, quiet, and I'm concerned about things seeming louder.

dmoore22
12-02-2010, 05:32 PM
The last two times we stayed, last Christmas and last spring, we were in a renovated unit. Your review comes very close to the way we felt. We had mixed emotions about the granite counters. They are nice but are they Old Key West? We did have an issue with the ground fault receptical but that was fixed immediately. I did love the new mattresses.

The decor made me think of a display in either Lowes or Home Depot. We live in a 120 year old house so we do know that color charts are still available with period paint colors/schemes. They could have checked with the state preservation office if they were uncertain. I could continue to rant but Diane said it so well. The rooms are great with the lights off -- at night.

Shadeaux
12-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I could continue to rant but Diane said it so well. The rooms are great with the lights off -- at night.

:rotfl2: Too funny!

Inkmahm
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
It figures. We check in tomorrow to a 2 bedroom at OKW, our first ever stay there. I hope we aren't disappointed. I wouldn't care as much if it were just DH and me, but we have his parents with us on this trip as well as his sister and her husband. I'd like it to be nice for them.

lisaviolet
12-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe the new rooms will appeal to us more since we don't know what we missed with the old design. I hope that is the case...guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

I would bet that would be the case. :goodvibes I bet you're right. It's hard to take in when some of us really liked the original. So I bet you'll be fine with it all. Hope so.

Have fun! :woohoo:

The last two times we stayed, last Christmas and last spring, we were in a renovated unit. Your review comes very close to the way we felt. We had mixed emotions about the granite counters. They are nice but are they Old Key West? We did have an issue with the ground fault receptical but that was fixed immediately. I did love the new mattresses.

The decor made me think of a display in either Lowes or Home Depot. We live in a 120 year old house so we do know that color charts are still available with period paint colors/schemes. They could have checked with the state preservation office if they were uncertain. I could continue to rant but Diane said it so well. The rooms are great with the lights off -- at night/

:rotfl2:OMG. :rotfl2:

Really iwas thoroughly enjoying the rant. ;)

It figures. We check in tomorrow to a 2 bedroom at OKW, our first ever stay there. I hope we aren't disappointed. I wouldn't care as much if it were just DH and me, but we have his parents with us on this trip as well as his sister and her husband. I'd like it to be nice for them.

Have fun! Once again, I would bet that you'll be fine with it all. Really. It's a lovely shock to the system just to see the size of those suites regardless and some of the views are very peaceful and beautiful.

I walked into 4525 on my second DVC stay and almost started bawling it was so beautiful and I was absolutely overwhelemed. It was five years ago and I can still vividly remember that feeling.

Well at the time I lived in a 440 square foot downtown condo - so doubling my space on vacation was a plus. :lmao:

Have a wonderful vacation. I bet your guests will love it.

And remember they haven't changed the best thing about OKW. The balconies. There is nothing like those balconies.

mac_tlc
12-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I have eagerly awaited Diane's December trip, since I shared many of her "expectations" of the reno. I was hoping we were both over-reacting -- looks like that was not the case. Hopefully I will get a look at the new units in 10 days when we head down for our DD's wedding. We are staying at BLT, but the groom's family is in an OKW 2bdr. I hope it is a renovated unit so we can get a look.

At least they can't make the units smaller -- if they could figure out how to do that they probably would---------

I hope someone raises this issue at the condo meeting next week. While I'm sure we will get a "stock" answer, I'd like someone to say to Jim Lewis that they were not true to the theme of the resort and some of the "magic" was lost. Won't change anything but the feelings seem to be pretty widely held, at least by the longer--time OKW members.

mac_tlc

holidaygirl
12-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I know that we all want everything to be perfect on a holiday, but are you not at Disneyworld the so called happiest place on earth. I think that sometimes we are too picky in the minor things and we just want to complain about something.. So what if the renos do not meet your expectations I am sure that many people like what they have done. We can find fault in all, remember you are there to enjoy.

Shadeaux
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I know that we all want everything to be perfect on a holiday, but are you not at Disneyworld the so called happiest place on earth. I think that sometimes we are too picky in the minor things and we just want to complain about something.. So what if the renos do not meet your expectations I am sure that many people like what they have done. We can find fault in all, remember you are there to enjoy.

Because most of the changes weren't minor. The renovations completely changed the look & feel of OKW.

dmoore22
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Except, in this case, it's like taking your BMW in to be detailed and when you pick it up it's become the cleanest Yugo on the block.

lisaviolet
12-02-2010, 11:40 PM

What is Mary Poppins doing in Saskatchewan? :lmao:;)

(Yes I know Ursula is obviously in Toronto! ;))

holidaygirl - geez - first I don't want anything to be perfect on MY vacations. Boring. You should see my TRs. :lmao:;) And second, come on - there are some DVCers on here that have owned and ADORED OKW for a very long time. A long time. OKW is their special place. It's normal to react to changes to a place they adored.

But I assume you like the renovations (yes?) - for me that's a good thing - I can't wait to see them to see what I think.

Deb & Bill
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM

For long time owners like Diane and our family, the changes are horrible. They have lost the theme of OKW. For a complete renovation, they did a terrible job. Especially after they seemed to have done a very nice job on the renovation at BWV.

And WDW is not the happiest place on earth. That's Disneyland. WDW is the most magical place on earth.

Happy@OKW
12-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Geez....I guess I'm in the minority, but, except for the too-dark table, I'm pretty happy over here in Bldg. 45. We've been here since Sunday, and I'm loving it!

dianeschlicht
12-03-2010, 06:42 AM

I don't consider the condo association using MY dues money in this way a "minor" detail.

dianeschlicht
12-03-2010, 06:49 AM
As for the sound level of the floors. I don't think it made a huge difference, although I am hearing the neighbors in the studio for the first time in many trips. I don't think the floors are the reason though...They don't have the vinyl floors on thier side of the door.

About the toilets...Yes, OKW still has the toilets that make you want to rescue small children when you flush them. They've always been that way though, and I guess I've gotten used to them.

BTW, Happy@OKW...If I was in building 45, I'd be happy too! That's what I requested, and the decor wouldn't be nearly as big an issue if I was in my favorite unit!:rotfl:

LIFERBABE
12-03-2010, 06:53 AM
I don't consider the condo association using MY dues money in this way a "minor" detail.

Agreed! DVC is supposed to have standards! We will all be paying for these resorts for a long time.
Maybe this is their way at getting back at us for not paying that extra money to extend our contracts. That's where all the money went, into that Fiasco!

WebmasterDoc
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
We arrived at OKW last nite - have a 1BR in Building 14.

While I agree about the Roman Shades pulley system (takes FOREVER to raise or lower), we do like the flooring. I wish it was real hardwood, but the laminate will last forever and it really is consistent with early 20th century Key West (they did not have wall-to-wall carpeting - wood flooring was the norm). This will certainly cut down on the carpet replacement and cleaning. We have had delayed room availability a number of times due to the carpet still being wet from a cleaning.

They did take the exsiting coffee table, end table and dining table and re-paint. I actaully like the darker wood although some of the paint has already chipped on our ddining table and the original paint is showing thru. We love the sleeper chair - it's a LOT more comfy than the old arm chair and we like the new headboard (also consistent with Key West interiors). We are on the ground floor and sound has not been an issue at all.

The granite countertops are fine (but not consistent with early 20th Key West). We rally like the new valences over the windows. The thermostat has been moved from the hallway into the living room, but we now have the sensor model instead of the old easy-to-manage controller. The Mickey Life Guard Stand table lamp in the living room is cute.

All in all, some wins and some disappointment from our view but overall we like the changes.

Lexxiefern
12-03-2010, 09:59 AM
We just stayed in a 1 bedroom in building 30 over Thanksgiving and we LOVED it!! Now granted, this was our first trip there. I can certainly understand why owners who have been coming here for years would be disappointed with some of the changes. I don't think the dark wood headboard went well with the decor, but I did think it was pretty and better than the metal frame from before (I saw in pics).

So sorry, OP that you are unhappy with the changes. I am not too thrilled with the changes over at BWV (my home) myself - some are good, some not so good. But overall I really surprised myself how much I loved OKW and cannot wait to go back!

dmoore22
12-03-2010, 01:46 PM

While I agree about the Roman Shades pulley system (takes FOREVER to raise or lower),

The Roman Shades seem to be taken from Coastal Living magazine.

we do like the flooring. I wish it was real hardwood, but the laminate will last forever and it really is consistent with early 20th century Key West (they did not have wall-to-wall carpeting - wood flooring was the norm). This will certainly cut down on the carpet replacement and cleaning. We have had delayed room availability a number of times due to the carpet still being wet from a cleaning.

That depends upon how you define forever. In cat years, maybe. Laminates have issues with moisture absorption from the underside. A laminate would not be the best choice in a humid climate (Keep that AC and dehumidifier going!). Even with a vapor barrier there are still issues with failure that starts with the underside. I can't count the number of folks that have ended up replacing their laminate with hardwood. A nice natural hardwood, with a hint of the orange from shellac, would have been perfect.

They did take the exsiting coffee table, end table and dining table and re-paint. I actaully like the darker wood although some of the paint has already chipped on our ddining table and the original paint is showing thru. We love the sleeper chair - it's a LOT more comfy than the old arm chair and we like the new headboard (also consistent with Key West interiors). We are on the ground floor and sound has not been an issue at all.

The darker wood is appropriate for another era. Olivia's and the Papa's Den have the theming down almost perfect. In the Hemingway House and Museum in the Key West the woods are either natural with a protective finish or painted white. There is a highboy that is a bit darker but more due to the aging of the finish. The headboard, another Coastal Living/Martha Stewart influence.

The granite countertops are fine (but not consistent with early 20th Key West).

Perhaps a white/off-white corian or soapstone.

We rally like the new valences over the windows. The thermostat has been moved from the hallway into the living room, but we now have the sensor model instead of the old easy-to-manage controller. The Mickey Life Guard Stand table lamp in the living room is cute.

Our experience with the new thermostat has been less than positive. We found ourselves turning off the thermostat then opening the balcony doors to get a happy medium with the temperature.

All in all, some wins and some disappointment from our view but overall we like the changes.

For us the jury is still out.

lisaviolet
12-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Geez....I guess I'm in the minority, but, except for the too-dark table, I'm pretty happy over here in Bldg. 45. We've been here since Sunday, and I'm loving it!

OMG. Building 45. :love: Lucky you. You're not in my suite, are you?;) 4525.

Have fun. I'm happy to hear that you like the renovations.

From the boat as we were getting told to sit down - hence crooked. ;) The oh so lovely 45. And family waving from our suite - such a lovely memory.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/lisaviolet/WDWfamilyadventure059.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/lisaviolet/WDWfamilyadventure058.jpg

Well that's good news. :thumbsup2 Have a wonderful vacation as well. :goodvibes

lisaviolet
12-03-2010, 02:55 PM
We just stayed in a 1 bedroom in building 30 over Thanksgiving and we LOVED it!! Now granted, this was our first trip there. I can certainly understand why owners who have been coming here for years would be disappointed with some of the changes. I don't think the dark wood headboard went well with the decor, but I did think it was pretty and better than the metal frame from before (I saw in pics).

So sorry, OP that you are unhappy with the changes. I am not too thrilled with the changes over at BWV (my home) myself - some are good, some not so good. But overall I really surprised myself how much I loved OKW and cannot wait to go back!

Oh I missed this. Good to hear Lexxiefern. Thanks for posting.

I will be at BWV very soon for the first time since the renovations - anxious to see. What didn't you like at BWV? Curious.

stmize
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
we were in WDW over Thanksgiving and bought points in the dvc at OKW and look forward to staying there on our next trip. I'm sure there are plus and minuses to every resort. We did go over there and looked around one evening and loved the feel of the resort itself.

MELSMICE
12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
we were in WDW over Thanksgiving and bought points in the dvc at OKW and look forward to staying there on our next trip. I'm sure there are plus and minuses to every resort. We did go over there and looked around one evening and loved the feel of the resort itself.
OKW in general is great! I love Disney & sometimes it seems like I can't get enough of it, but the reason I love OKW is that I can be in Disney & feel like I can get away from Disney.........does that make sense.

OKW is like it's own little retreat!

dmoore22
12-03-2010, 05:10 PM
OKW in general is great! I love Disney & sometimes it seems like I can't get enough of it, but the reason I love OKW is that I can be in Disney & feel like I can get away from Disney.........does that make sense.

Perfect sense!! It's Disney without Mickey in your face. We truly feel like we are away from it all when at OKW. :thumbsup2

Lexxiefern
12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh I missed this. Good to hear Lexxiefern. Thanks for posting.

I will be at BWV very soon for the first time since the renovations - anxious to see. What didn't you like at BWV? Curious.

You know, I just felt like it is now too GREEN. Everything they changed is now a shade of green. I like a little variety. I wish BWV would get granite like OKW did. It looks beautiful at OKW!

Oh and another OKW plus - we were able to see Illuminations from our balcony in building 30!

CaskPeg
12-03-2010, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=dianeschlicht;39115717]I was pretty critical of the first photos of the OKW renovations, but I determined that I would reserve judgment until I stayed in a renovated unit. Well we are here in 3621...a renovated 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond area.

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? There was even some of the cove tile in the master bath that has been painted over to make it look the right color again....Tacky!

Diane-

I will be checking in a few weeks....sorry the experience has been trying for you. I will be up near the front of OKW--do you know if those units are renovated already? Happy Holidays- CaskPeg:princess:

dianeschlicht
12-03-2010, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=dianeschlicht;39115717]I was pretty critical of the first photos of the OKW renovations, but I determined that I would reserve judgment until I stayed in a renovated unit. Well we are here in 3621...a renovated 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond area.

My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? There was even some of the cove tile in the master bath that has been painted over to make it look the right color again....Tacky!

Diane-

I will be checking in a few weeks....sorry the experience has been trying for you. I will be up near the front of OKW--do you know if those units are renovated already? Happy Holidays- CaskPeg:princess:

Peg, they seem to be working on Miller's Road buildings right now. The currently have the Miller's road bus stop closed and a temporary one set up outside building 18. I think HH is done.

dianeschlicht
12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

While I agree about the Roman Shades pulley system (takes FOREVER to raise or lower), we do like the flooring. I wish it was real hardwood, but the laminate will last forever and it really is consistent with early 20th century Key West (they did not have wall-to-wall carpeting - wood flooring was the norm). This will certainly cut down on the carpet replacement and cleaning. We have had delayed room availability a number of times due to the carpet still being wet from a cleaning.

The granite countertops are fine (but not consistent with early 20th Key West). We rally like the new valences over the windows. The thermostat has been moved from the hallway into the living room, but we now have the sensor model instead of the old easy-to-manage controller. The Mickey Life Guard Stand table lamp in the living room is cute.

Doc, I wanted to like the wood floors too. I actually was thinking of installing this vinyl plank version of laminate flooring in my basement kitchen, but after seeing how this looks at OKW, I'm not at all interested in using anything like it. I'm kind of wondering if maybe the fact that it looks dull and dirty is the reason I dislike it so much. It IS one step up from laminate though....Just wish it was wood like the old GVs used to have.

I actually like the paint job on the dining table and end table, and I like the bedroom 2 tone paint treatments too. I just don't like the head board or that ugly paint job on the coffee table. I still think it looks and feels like a cream and aqua allegator.

I wouldn't mind the sleeper chair either if it had different fabric. We like the cute lamp in the living room too, but NOT the ones in the bedroom.

I didn't mention the carpet in the bedroom, mostly because it seemed lilke a non-entity. Not thrilled with the orthoganal design, but the color is better than the old one.

ftballfan7
12-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I noticed a couple of references to sleeper chairs. Are these similar to the ones at AKV Kidani? Did someone say they are in the master bedroom? If so, could they be moved to the living area? I have wanted to try OKW, but with the four of us, the rooms at AKV with the sleeper chair work so well for a 1 bdrm. Any info on the OKW sleeper chairs would be appreciated.

Deb & Bill
12-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I noticed a couple of references to sleeper chairs. Are these similar to the ones at AKV Kidani? Did someone say they are in the master bedroom? If so, could they be moved to the living area? I have wanted to try OKW, but with the four of us, the rooms at AKV with the sleeper chair work so well for a 1 bdrm. Any info on the OKW sleeper chairs would be appreciated.

The sleeper chair is in the living room, not the bedroom. And they are too heavy to move into the bedroom. They are similar to all the sleeper chairs.

jade1
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
FYI Diane-this is our deck this am-cripes, enjoy down there. :wizard:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/jademn/WINTER12-4-10003.jpg

WebmasterDoc
12-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Peg, they seem to be working on Miller's Road buildings right now. The currently have the Miller's road bus stop closed and a temporary one set up outside building 18. I think HH is done.

I was told yesterday that they still need to renovate Buildings 17, 20, 23 - 29 and will likely stop work around the Holidays until after the New Year.

LisaS
12-04-2010, 03:21 PM
FYI Diane-this is our deck this am-cripes, enjoy down there. :wizard:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/jademn/WINTER12-4-10003.jpgMinnesotans are such a hardy bunch. I'm surprised you're not outside sitting on that lounge chair enjoying the fine weather. :lmao:

dmoore22
12-04-2010, 05:04 PM
My overall impression is that OKW used to impress me with a nice high end look with quality tile etc. Now the old tile, just looks like that...OLD. Why did they not change that too? CaskPeg:princess:

Does the tile look old as in "dated" or lack of appropriate maintenance? Tiles should maintain the original appearance if they were appropriately fired and glazed in the kiln. DVC could have cleaned the tiles and regrouted to give that just installed appearance. The grout should have been sealed initially to resist issues with mold. The fixes are easy and can be accessed through BGH, the Old House Journal, or the archives of PBS's This Old House. I can't help but revisit the quote from Walt Disney, "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgement and showmanship, will win against all odds."

jade1
12-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Minnesotans are such a hardy bunch. I'm surprised you're not outside sitting on that lounge chair enjoying the fine weather. :lmao:

Ha-actually my son is using it-you just cant see him. :lmao:

dianeschlicht
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=CaskPeg;39133027]

Does the tile look old as in "dated" or lack of appropriate maintenance? Tiles should maintain the original appearance if they were appropriately fired and glazed in the kiln. DVC could have cleaned the tiles and regrouted to give that just installed appearance. The grout should have been sealed initially to resist issues with mold. The fixes are easy and can be accessed through BGH, the Old House Journal, or the archives of PBS's This Old House. I can't help but revisit the quote from Walt Disney, "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgement and showmanship, will win against all odds."

Actually, the tile would be JUST FINE if it would have been cleaned, broken/cracked ones replaced, and everything re-grouted. I LOVE the tiles at OKW, and they would look just fine if they were maintained the way we do with ours at home. The tiles used are not cheap tiles, and they certainly should last more than 20 years. In fact, I would expect these tiles (if maintained properly) to go a good 50 years! The worst were the bottom tiles that were obviously replaced with non-matching ones, and then painted! Talk about looking tacky. I did try to take a picture, but it didn't turn out good enough to really get the idea across.

dianeschlicht
12-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Minnesotans are such a hardy bunch. I'm surprised you're not outside sitting on that lounge chair enjoying the fine weather. :lmao:

Jade, you obviously don't live in Lakeville! We turned on the weather channel Saturday morning and the lead story was about Lakeville (our home town). It seems we had over a foot of snow, and they were telling how everyone was dealing with it. I just hope my neighbor plowed the driveway so my dog sitters could get in! I have a video camera set up in the kennel, and I've been monitoring them from here, and they seem to be doing fine, so all must be fine at home.

Unfortunately, the cold here is killing me! I left my coat at home, and all I have here in my OL is my DVC wind breaker. It does stop the wind, but doesn't do much to keep me warm. I went to Target yesterday and bought thermal underwear to put under my clothes for the cold snap today and tomorrow. The weekend was glorious though!

dianeschlicht
12-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Oops! It looks like I quoted the wrong thread. Sorry. I meant to quote Jade's but got Pat's quote instead.

dmoore22
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=dmoore22;39140077]

Actually, the tile would be JUST FINE if it would have been cleaned, broken/cracked ones replaced, and everything re-grouted. I LOVE the tiles at OKW, and they would look just fine if they were maintained the way we do with ours at home. The tiles used are not cheap tiles, and they certainly should last more than 20 years. In fact, I would expect these tiles (if maintained properly) to go a good 50 years! The worst were the bottom tiles that were obviously replaced with non-matching ones, and then painted! Talk about looking tacky. I did try to take a picture, but it didn't turn out good enough to really get the idea across.

One would think that if the tiles were made on site they would have kept the formula for the glaze or, if contracted out they would have maintained a surplus of tiles or had the contractor keep a copy of the formula on hand -- like when we need to get paint matched for our house.

mickey&minniealways
12-06-2010, 02:31 PM

This is exactly how I try and discribe OKW to others. You know you are close to all the chaos but somehow you are in a world apart. I like the way you think.

MELSMICE
12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
This is exactly how I try and discribe OKW to others. You know you are close to all the chaos but somehow you are in a world apart. I like the way you think.
:thumbsup2

mom3sonstt
12-06-2010, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=dianeschlicht;39115717
[/QUOTE]

I haven't read any of the other posts so maybe this gets answered. But tell me about the thermostat. We were at Boardwalk in November and (along with several other issues) DH was vocal in his displeasure of the thermostat. Instead of having any numbers on it - it was just dots. You couldn't set it to a certain temperature you could only go warmer or colder. We never got it just right - we fought it the whole week. Please tell me they aren't "upgrading" all of the resorts to these. :sad2:

dianeschlicht
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I haven't read any of the other posts so maybe this gets answered. But tell me about the thermostat. We were at Boardwalk in November and (along with several other issues) DH was vocal in his displeasure of the thermostat. Instead of having any numbers on it - it was just dots. You couldn't set it to a certain temperature you could only go warmer or colder. We never got it just right - we fought it the whole week. Please tell me they aren't "upgrading" all of the resorts to these. :sad2:

Looks to me like that is the plan.

mom3sonstt
12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
So the ones at the refurbed OKW were just "dots" too?

dianeschlicht
12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
So the ones at the refurbed OKW were just "dots" too?

Yes, and you have to turn it off and on and adjust the temp with the arrows. We found it works a bit better if you turn it off and then on right away to get the best results.

Shadeaux
12-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes, and you have to turn it off and on and adjust the temp with the arrows. We found it works a bit better if you turn it off and then on right away to get the best results.

The thermostat we had in 4621 was different. You could set it to a particular temperature, but there is no switch to change from air conditioning to heat. There's no thermometer so you couldn't tell what the actual temperature was in the room. While we were there last month, the days were warm enough to need air conditioning, but it got cold enough at night for the heat. It was a challenge trying to figure out how the heck to set that darn thing...either we froze or it got too hot & stuffy.

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of all these "enhancements" they're throwing at us!

dianeschlicht
12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
The thermostat we had in 4621 was different. You could set it to a particular temperature, but there is no switch to change from air conditioning to heat. There's no thermometer so you couldn't tell what the actual temperature was in the room. While we were there last month, the days were warm enough to need air conditioning, but it got cold enough at night for the heat. It was a challenge trying to figure out how the heck to set that darn thing...either we froze or it got too hot & stuffy.

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of all these "enhancements" they're throwing at us!

It sounds like your thermostat was like ours. No way to specify air or heat....just the set temp.

jekjones1558
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
The thermostats at BWV were not "upgraded" last year during renovations. They are the old ones, with a lever for heat/off/cool and another lever for warmer or colder. Frankly I prefer these old ones to the new ones, so I'm glad they were not replaced.

ekm
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
We are at OKW right now in a refurbished one bedroom unit in building 21.
After being OKW members since 1992, and very little updating during that time, we were hoping for an amazingy refurbishment.
However, we are very disappointed.
As others have said, the flooring is laminate, with a fake look.
The appliances in our unit are worn, as are the cupboard doors. The dishes and cutlery are mismatched.
When we bought, we were so impressed with how upscale the units were. This is no longer the case, even after the refurbishment.
Disney should take a lesson from Marriott, where we also own. Our Marriott timeshares are renovated every 6-7 years, and are probably more opulent now, than when we bought.
We still love OKW and the large balconies, and will continue to stay at OKW, but our high maintenance fees should have afforded a better result.

castleri
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Wish I could be there for the association meeting - It would be great if enough members could be there to bring up the fact that the feeling is the renovations are not up to past Disney standards and the shortcuts being taken are devaluing the units. OKW was out first home resort and remains my favorite and I hate seeing the decline that is taking place. My DD told me that the 1 BR they had in Bldg 28 was not renovated and had some issues. One of them was a wet spot in the carpet. They called maintenance who came said that it might be a leaky refrigerator or "something" and they would look into it after they checked out. She did say it had a chlorine smell to it also. They were only there last night so it wasn't a huge deal but there were also mousekeeping issues in that there was a half deflated baloon on top of the frig and something else beside the couch when they checked in. I guess the new floors in the living area are intended to eliminate the issues that the carpets had such as wetness when they had to be cleaned. I was just happy they were only there for the one night and hope they have a more dessirable room the next time they visit.

Mom B
12-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Jade, you obviously don't live in Lakeville! We turned on the weather channel Saturday morning and the lead story was about Lakeville (our home town). It seems we had over a foot of snow, and they were telling how everyone was dealing with it. I just hope my neighbor plowed the driveway so my dog sitters could get in! I have a video camera set up in the kennel, and I've been monitoring them from here, and they seem to be doing fine, so all must be fine at home.

Unfortunately, the cold here is killing me! I left my coat at home, and all I have here in my OL is my DVC wind breaker. It does stop the wind, but doesn't do much to keep me warm. I went to Target yesterday and bought thermal underwear to put under my clothes for the cold snap today and tomorrow. The weekend was glorious though!

Sorry you're experiencing the cold, Diane! I do sort of hope that indicates that maybe we'll have 'unseasonably warm' weather in January for our trip. The last years have been pretty 'cool' and we could handle a little heat for a change, so maybe it will warm up by then!

In the meantime, sorry to hear that the renovations are less than you'd hoped for. I almost feel tempted to start a new rumor, like, resale points are only good at older 'renovated' resorts...or something like that! :rotfl:

Hope you enjoy your trip and that it warms up for you soon. ;)

Inkmahm
12-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, we got Turtle Pond with my inlaws trading in from RCI so this is my first time at OKW. I requested first floor in a building 30 or higher and got both of those requests as we are in 3214. I like it. Never having seen the original decor, the renovated decor is okay with me. I don't care for the coffee table color but that is minor.

There is no cord in the old internet connection bag that used to be in the closets. The empty bag was there when we checked in and there is an internet connection cord in the living room. Is this the way it should be? The empty bag confused me.

dianeschlicht
12-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Well, we got Turtle Pond with my inlaws trading in from RCI so this is my first time at OKW. I requested first floor in a building 30 or higher and got both of those requests as we are in 3214. I like it. Never having seen the original decor, the renovated decor is okay with me. I don't care for the coffee table color but that is minor.

There is no cord in the old internet connection bag that used to be in the closets. The empty bag was there when we checked in and there is an internet connection cord in the living room. Is this the way it should be? The empty bag confused me.

Sounds to me like the housekeeper didn't put the cord back in it's correct place. Yes, the plug in for the internet is behind the end table in the living room. I refuse to call this high speed though. BTW, we are in building 36.

BUDDYBEAR
12-07-2010, 06:44 AM
thanks for the u:cool1:pdate

Inkmahm
12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Sounds to me like the housekeeper didn't put the cord back in it's correct place. Yes, the plug in for the internet is behind the end table in the living room. I refuse to call this high speed though. BTW, we are in building 36.

You'll have to wave when you drive by- we're the red Dodge Journey in the parking lot! If we get to the meet tonight, it will be me and my MIL on the scooters.

I did find a burned out light today and there is cracked plaster in the shower in the master bath that moves when you touch it so water must be getting behind it. Overall though, I really do like it. For being here with 6 people, the extra space is great. We move to Kidani on thursday so my inlaws will see the difference in size. I think my SIL and BIL will enjoy having thier own bathroom though.

dmoore22
12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Perhaps I'm a bit of a Pollyanna but, in spite of my disappointment in the renovations, OKW is still our resort of choice, ie. our favorite. We could not get into OKW during F&W earlier this autumn and, even though the accommodations in this unnamed DVC resort were pleasant enough (named redacted so as not to insult those that have that as their home resort) it just didn't hold the proverbial candle to OKW. We'll be down there in a matter of days. Nothing, short of a hurricane, will ruin the pleasure of Christmas at OKW. :santa:

MELSMICE
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Perhaps I'm a bit of a Pollyanna but, in spite of my disappointment in the renovations, OKW is still our resort of choice, ie. our favorite. We could not get into OKW during F&W earlier this autumn and, even though the accommodations in this unnamed DVC resort were pleasant enough (named redacted so as not to insult those that have that as their home resort) it just didn't hold the proverbial candle to OKW. We'll be down there in a matter of days. Nothing, short of a hurricane, will ruin the pleasure of Christmas at OKW. :santa:
Sounds like we may be there around the same time enjoying Christmas at OKW. We arrive on December 19. :cool1:

dmoore22
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Sounds like we may be there around the same time enjoying Christmas at OKW. We arrive on December 19. :cool1:

Ditto! :dancer::drinking1:dancer:

lisaviolet
12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
We'll be down there in a matter of days. Nothing, short of a hurricane, will ruin the pleasure of Christmas at OKW. :santa:

Really? :surfweb:

Nothing? :3dglasses

How about two crazy Canadians stalking your suite desperately trying to sneak a peak at the renovations?

How does that line up with a hurricane? :rotfl2:

lisaviolet
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Ditto! :dancer::drinking1:dancer:

Have a wonderful time! :goodvibes

dmoore22
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Really? :surfweb:

Nothing? :3dglasses

How about two crazy Canadians stalking your suite desperately trying to sneak a peak at the renovations?

How does that line up with a hurricane? :rotfl2:

Beauty! Eh! :rotfl:

Chuck S
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm at OKW now. I don't like the floors, the coffee table is weird, the sleeper chair - while I think they could have done better with the fabric selection, it is very comfy to sleep on. Not at all good for sitting, though. The advantage to the sleeper chair is it doesn't take up the whole room, so we leave it open throughout the day. Actually, it they just would have FIXED the cupbords properly, I don't mind not having new doors/facings. The master bedroom, though is just not a good match for the theme at all.

The granite counter are very nice, and I'm actually glad they recovered and reused most of the tables and chairs, as they are good quality...probably better than they could buy now.

I don't like the new thermostats, they really need a heat/cool switch for this weather. And the original color scheme was, IMO, much nicer overall.

MELSMICE
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Have a wonderful time! :goodvibes
Thank you! We're meeting my brother's family there. It will be the first time I'm getting to meet my new nephew who will already be 15 months old by the time we get there. I can't wait!

dianeschlicht
12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm at OKW now. I don't like the floors, the coffee table is weird, the sleeper chair - while I think they could have done better with the fabric selection, it is very comfy to sleep on. Not at all good for sitting, though. The advantage to the sleeper chair is it doesn't take up the whole room, so we leave it open throughout the day. Actually, it they just would have FIXED the cupbords properly, I don't mind not having new doors/facings. The master bedroom, though is just not a good match for the theme at all.

The granite counter are very nice, and I'm actually glad they recovered and reused most of the tables and chairs, as they are good quality...probably better than they could buy now.

I don't like the new thermostats, they really need a heat/cool switch for this weather. And the original color scheme was, IMO, much nicer overall.
Chuck, you and I feel almost identical about the renovations. I do agree with an earlier poster dmoore maybe? OKW is still the best place to stay! Still the same space, and convenience.

disneygrandma
12-08-2010, 12:03 AM
What is so terrible about Turtle Pond? (I know, a little off topic, but more than one post has mentioned this.) Since the Turtle Pond area is completely renovated, my thought was that if we want a renovated unit, then request Turtle Pond. Also, last year, we stayed 1 nite in Turtle Pond & really liked the pool area. That night was the only time we've stayed in OKW. Please enlighten me about Turtle Pond.

Chuck S
12-08-2010, 07:57 AM
What is so terrible about Turtle Pond? (I know, a little off topic, but more than one post has mentioned this.) Since the Turtle Pond area is completely renovated, my thought was that if we want a renovated unit, then request Turtle Pond. Also, last year, we stayed 1 nite in Turtle Pond & really liked the pool area. That night was the only time we've stayed in OKW. Please enlighten me about Turtle Pond.

I don't want to speak for Diane, but really to me it is simply a metter of personal preference. While her favorite buildings along the canal are beautiful, and some of our favorites as well, Turtle Pond is also one of our favorite areas...but there are some buildings in Turtle Pond that I don't care for. For instance, one would think bldgs 32 & 33 would get a lot of bus noise, being right behind the bus stop..but that isn't the case at all, they are pretty quiet and very convenient to the bus stop (we are in 32 now). But bldg 44 has a LOT of bus noise because of the way sounds echo. 38 and 39 can get road noise from the main road from DtD to Port Orleans, Bonnet Creek Parkway.

MELSMICE
12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
We enjoy the Turtle Pond area, so yes, it is all personal preference.

SusieBea
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM

I've wondered this as well. There are a few buildings in that area where the views would not be good, but that's true in most areas. Turtle Pond is our favorite. But I am not a fan of South Point, not for any specific reason, just the feel of the area to me.

MELSMICE
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I've wondered this as well. There are a few buildings in that area where the views would not be good, but that's true in most areas. Turtle Pond is our favorite. But I am not a fan of South Point, not for any specific reason, just the feel of the area to me.
One of the reasons we like Turtle Pond is because you can get a snack at the pool if you'd like. We are huge pool dwellers & most days we spend the entire day at the pool. Plus, Turtle Pond is usually quieter & less congested than the main pool.

It's not that we raid the Turtle Shack or the main snack bar at the main pool, but if I want something I like to know I can get it. At South Point or Miller Road there are no snack bars at the pools.

So, for us, that's one of the reasons we like Turtle Pond.

shellspb
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Very informative, thanks for all the detail.

disneygrandma
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Simba's Mom
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Chuck, I've been wondering since you posted this, could you please describe the coffee table a little more. One thing that bothers me at BWV is that there's no coffee table (at least in the studios). But I'm not sure if I want one that's "weird" either.;)

dmoore22
12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Chuck, I've been wondering since you posted this, could you please describe the coffee table a little more. One thing that bothers me at BWV is that there's no coffee table (at least in the studios). But I'm not sure if I want one that's "weird" either.;)

Here is a link to a photo of the table:

http://allears.net/acc/okw/okw10r1-08.jpg

It reminds me of a faux antiquing finish that was in vogue during the late 50's early 60's. My dad bought an antiquing kit at the hardware store and did this to some of our "old" pieces of furniture at that time. The finish was easy to remove, albeit 20 years later, using a plastic scraper. It just popped off with no noticeable damage to the original finish underneath. We did a light rinse with a TSP solution then put a coat of tung oil on for added protection.

Chuck S
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
They are the original coffee tables, but have been refinished with a rough "crackle" finish, looks sort of like an old cracked off white layer of paint on top of a sea foam green layer. I don't think the finish will hold up well. The only think in the room they "sort of match" is the colors in the braided rug.

Deb & Bill
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Still? I thought they announced a few Annual meetings ago that they were putting coffee tables in BWV.

dianeschlicht
12-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Well, we have ended up in Turtle Pond units 4 times in the past few years, and we never had much to look at in any of them. I thought the pool area would have been nice if it hadn't been so crowded, but because that one pool draws from a rather large neighborhood, it's always been packed when we have gone...making us pass it up. This time we were in building 36, and our living room and bedroom looked out to the end of the next building...not too keen on looking into someone else's windows. We like buildings 45, 46, 55, and 56 at South Point, and also like a lot of the buildings on Miller's Road.

dianeschlicht
12-08-2010, 09:50 PM

It is like those antiquing kits, and it looks and feels like an aqua and cream colored alligator!

JudithM
12-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Let me start by saying I have not read this whole thread yet :) ...

As you can tell, I'm very concerned about sound. I always thought of OKW as peaceful, quiet, and I'm concerned about things seeming louder.

We are at OKW right now in a renovated one bedroom unit. We're not crazy about the vinyl floor although our floor seems fairly smooth compared to what Diane posted originally. (We asked a maintenance CM today who said this is vinyl.)

We find the unit to be louder and more "echo-y." You can hear your voice bounce around. Plus for some reason I can hear the neighbors in the studio next door. However, the floor does not seem to be loud to walk on. Also, we are on the first floor and have not really heard the neighbors upstairs
(& I know they are there).

I don't care for the transition between the vinyl and the other areas of the unit - laundry ceramic, porch doorway, entryway, bedroom. There is a plastic looking transition strip which looks cheap to us. Plus there is a definite height difference.

JudithM
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Again, I have not read this whole topic, but our observations ...

We love the new shower head in the bathroom! Never saw it before this stay. I am short, and I can reach it! Plus I like the various settings. I also noticed the shower is free of the ugly mold. Someone worked hard getting rid of the old caulk, cleaning the area, recaulking, etc. Looks nice! Plus the fresh paint looks neat and clean.

We thought the bedroom redo looks elegant. We are happy with it. The smaller footprint of the bedside lamps gives us more room to put odds and ends, books, magazines, whatever. We like the paint color and bed linens a lot. I like that the bed linens and the window treatments go together (unlike the living room). The nicer mattress is great for our backs and for sleeping.

In the living room/dining room there are too many different patterns - couch, sleeper chair, valances, pillows, roman shades, dining chairs, coffee table, etc. When I first saw photos of the sleeper chair it looked out of place. A closer look show it is brown with strips of turquoise and beige. We opened up the sleeper chair in our unit and in our friend's unit. It seems to be very comfortable as a chair and as a sleeper. Our couches are comfortable to sit on, but in our friend's unit they were hard as rocks!

As much as we like the Roman shades, as others have mentioned, they are a pain to "open" and "close."

JudithM
12-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Why they changed the thermostats is beyond me! We were in our friends unit. He was cold, so he turned it up. It got very hot. Then his wife and I were too warm, so she turned it down and the air came on - not what we wanted at all last night when it was in the 30s outside.

You are NOT the only one getting tired :)!

dianeschlicht
12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
JudithM, I totally agree about the mattress! We thought it was the best bed we've had anywhere in WDW, and our impression has never been very good for mattresses at WDW. We did talk to someone on the bus on Monday who must have had one of the old ones, because they complained about feeling like sleeping on a table. I told them to go ask for an egg crate foam for the bed.

MELSMICE
12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
JudithM, I totally agree about the mattress! We thought it was the best bed we've had anywhere in WDW, and our impression has never been very good for mattresses at WDW. We did talk to someone on the bus on Monday who must have had one of the old ones, because they complained about feeling like sleeping on a table. I told them to go ask for an egg crate foam for the bed.
I didn't know you could ask for an egg crate. We always end up bringing one from home.

rascalmom
12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Ok all you wonderful reviewers.......where are the pics? :surfweb:

Chuck S
12-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I didn't bring a camera on this trip, the only thing I have availble is the webcam built into this laptop, and it isn't anything to brag about.

jekjones1558
12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Here is a photo of one of the world's ugliest coffee tables, taken in a renovated OKW 1 bedroom:
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/jekjones1558/IMG_0586.jpg

Regarding the new mattresses: I am so happy to hear this. I like a firm mattress but the old ones at OKW were like lying on a morgue slab. I'll bet that the new ones are the same as the new ones at BWV (was there a brochure about new bedding etc. available to buy online?) and we think that those mattresses and pillows are pretty fantastic!

Shadeaux
12-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Hmmmm....our coffee table had a slightly different (uglier) pattern.

http://images16.fotki.com/v272/photos/8/180398/9298375/table-vi.jpg

dianeschlicht
12-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok all you wonderful reviewers.......where are the pics? :surfweb:

Like Chuck, I didn't have one either, and my phone didn't do well indoors. I guess I also figured we have seen quite a few pictures on the boards already of the renovations, so it wasn't necessary.

dianeschlicht
12-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm....our coffee table had a slightly different (uglier) pattern.

http://images16.fotki.com/v272/photos/8/180398/9298375/table-vi.jpg

Yep, that looks like our aqua and cream alligator too!:rolleyes1

Deb & Bill
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I think we need to call the ATF and DEA. Someone is doing some really strange drugs at DVC.

JudithM
12-10-2010, 08:01 PM
That is about what our coffee table looked like, too.

Shadeaux
12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
That is about what our coffee table looked like, too.

Which one?

Deb & Bill
12-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Which one?

You mean, Ugly #1 or Ugly #2.

dianeschlicht
12-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Which one?

ALL of them!:rotfl:

Laurabearz
12-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I agree with everything you said Diane...

I esp hated the new flooring, both in color and feel.

MELSMICE
12-19-2010, 09:48 PM
We are here now a in 2BR. We actually like the renovations.

We're not crazy about the color of the valances in the living area & I'm not impressed with the handles on the cupboards, but those are so minor. As far as the floor, I think it will wear much better than the rug did. We like it. Spills will wipe up easily.

I did like the shabby chic look on the bathroom walls previously, but I would think that it's easier to maintain it with the way it's painted now. All they have to do is touch up an area that gets damaged. With the older "design" that would be difficult to do.

I like the darker headboards. The only thing I don't like about the new beds is that you can't put anything underneath them. We always put our empty luggage under the beds.

One of our roman shade mechanisms is already broken. We called engineering but they haven't taken care of it yet.

Anyway, all in all, we are happy with the renovations.

dianeschlicht
12-20-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm worried about those roman shade mechanisms! They are such a PITA to use, and seem rather puny besides. I finally gave up and just kept ours at half mast so they were low enough to give us some privacy, but high enough to give us some light.

MELSMICE
12-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm worried about those roman shade mechanisms! They are such a PITA to use, and seem rather puny besides. I finally gave up and just kept ours at half mast so they were low enough to give us some privacy, but high enough to give us some light.
I have to agree with you on that. The shades are nice, the mechanisms seem very cheap. We thought maybe if they were longer it would be better because you wouldn't have to pull so many times, but are wondering if they made them shorter for "little hands" that could damage them. With one being broken already it seems that there will definitely be issues with them.

I also have to say that the sleeper chair is for a midget!!!! One of my DD's wanted to sleep in it last night. It's seriously for a small child. She put the foot ottoman at the bottom of it. Maybe that's what you're supposed to do????? :confused3

Oh - & they should have repainted the frame of the mirror in the master bedroom. Everything else got painted dark, but that is still blue.....at least in this unit.

Other than a few small details, we like the look of the new renovations. I don't think they're perfect, but it's refreshing to see something different. Everything else was getting very worn & it was time. Oh, hang on, the coffee table..........dumb idea...........it's looks pretty cheesy! :lmao:

dianeschlicht
12-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Actually, I too like the dark refinish work they did on the furniture (other than the coffee table), but I don't think the "style" fits the theme. I think the most disappointing thing to me was how cheap it all looks now. It no longer has that "high end" feel to it that the nice tile kitchen floor had. Granted, it would look fine if it was real wood, but I do understand why that is not practical here. On the other hand, I think just having it installed properly would have gone a long way in making me accept it more. All the bumps, hills, valleys and sloppiness of it made it just look that much cheaper.

Oh, and if this was a 90% redo, I'll eat my hat! In my book, 90% means most everything is changed. Since they didn't change the fixtures, hardware, or cabinets, I wouldn't call it 90%.

I'm glad to see them being economical by reusing most of the furniture and recycling it that way, but couldn't they have at least painted the cabinets and changed the hardware to make them feel updated too? My other complaint is that they didn't correct the missmatched hardware. The past few years I've been disappointed that when a piece of hardware broke at OKW, it was replaced with something that was a different metal. That meant we had some chrome door levers on bronze or antique brass escutchens and different hinges etc. I was looking forward to all that stuff matching again, but our unit certainly hadn't done that. We still had antique bronze pulls on the cabinets and closet doors, but our unit had a chrome door level on one side of the bathroom door, and bronze on the other side. That is certainly not the way I would repair and maintain my own home, and I hate to see my vacation home maintained that way. It just looks tacky. Oh, and those painted tiles in the bathroom.....:eek:

MELSMICE
12-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Actually, I too like the dark refinish work they did on the furniture (other than the coffee table), but I don't think the "style" fits the theme. I think the most disappointing thing to me was how cheap it all looks now. It no longer has that "high end" feel to it that the nice tile kitchen floor had. Granted, it would look fine if it was real wood, but I do understand why that is not practical here. On the other hand, I think just having it installed properly would have gone a long way in making me accept it more. All the bumps, hills, valleys and sloppiness of it made it just look that much cheaper.

Oh, and if this was a 90% redo, I'll eat my hat! In my book, 90% means most everything is changed. Since they didn't change the fixtures, hardware, or cabinets, I wouldn't call it 90%.

I'm glad to see them being economical by reusing most of the furniture and recycling it that way, but couldn't they have at least painted the cabinets and changed the hardware to make them feel updated too? My other complaint is that they didn't correct the missmatched hardware. The past few years I've been disappointed that when a piece of hardware broke at OKW, it was replaced with something that was a different metal. That meant we had some chrome door levers on bronze or antique brass escutchens and different hinges etc. I was looking forward to all that stuff matching again, but our unit certainly hadn't done that. We still had antique bronze pulls on the cabinets and closet doors, but our unit had a chrome door level on one side of the bathroom door, and bronze on the other side. That is certainly not the way I would repair and maintain my own home, and I hate to see my vacation home maintained that way. It just looks tacky. Oh, and those painted tiles in the bathroom.....:eek:
I do agree with some of these things. I never noticed mismatched hardware. I'll have to take a closer look.

Our floor is OK. No bumps or anything.

I also didn't notice the painted bathroom tiles. I'll have to check that out also.

jodifla
12-20-2010, 11:40 AM
In the actual town of Key West, the older houses all had wood floors and many dark wood pieces of furniture, so that's actually keeping with the theme.

Inkmahm
12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't like the new thermostats, they really need a heat/cool switch for this weather.

I agree. I've never had so much trouble with trying to keep a room at a reasonable temperature as at OKW. It would be comfy one minute and then I'd be freezing the next. Or sweating. I didn't get a good night's sleep even one night in the week we were there because I kept waking up due to uncomfortable temperatures in our room.

Shadeaux
12-20-2010, 09:00 PM
The thermostats at OKW used to work great. Never had a problem until our trip last month. Why the heck did they change something that has worked fine for years? Like Inkmahm, I was either freezing or sweating at night.

jekjones1558
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
The thermostats at OKW used to work great. Never had a problem until our trip last month. Why the heck did they change something that has worked fine for years? Like Inkmahm, I was either freezing or sweating at night.

I don't get this either. The old thermostats were left at BWV when it was renovated last year, so why the decision to replace those at OKW?

MELSMICE
12-20-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't get this either. The old thermostats were left at BWV when it was renovated last year, so why the decision to replace those at OKW?
We're not having a problem with the thermostat. We just set it to the temp we want & either the air goes on or the heat goes on.

JWG
12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
We're not having a problem with the thermostat. We just set it to the temp we want & either the air goes on or the heat goes on.

We've noticed a couple of things with these thermostats during our stay last week (first we've seen them having been at BWV and OKW prior).

1) They're sensored, so during teh day (and even at night when sleeping) they may kick off causing rooms to get very warm or cold depending. Since it was moderate out (30-65) last week it never meant much to us.

2) The turnover from A/C to heat can be extreme. It seems like (at AKV at least) there is no fan speed other than "jet engine" high. It would be blasting hot air and all of a sudden switch to equally harsh cold air once the temperature hit its point.

That being said, #1 can at least be covered off by searching "thermostat override" here.

dianeschlicht
12-21-2010, 08:45 AM

We had the freezing/sweating issue too. I suspect part of the issue was that we were there during some pretty extreme temperature changes a couple weeks ago.

dmoore22
12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
We are currently in a studio in Building 14. It's a third floor unit with a nice few and convenient to HH. I must concur with many of the previous comments regarding the renovations. Regarding the "dark" wood I can't make up my mind if they are attempting to replicate mahogany, a tropical wood, with a faux aged varnish effect or the dark oak stain so popular in the early to mid-70s. If I think mahogany I can live with it. The paint does reflect the hues in the pictures on the walls however the mat board still has the original colors so it does clash. If the curtains included the tropical pink/peach as opposed to the beige it might have worked. The loss of storage under the beds has been a tremendous inconvenience. The roman shades -- my daughter cut herself opening them. The blinds were more user friendly and allowed more control over the sunlight entering the room. With the blinds you still had a sense of privacy while affording a view. With the shades it seems to be all or nothing. If open, no privacy. The carpeting looks okay but feels as if there is no carpet pad underneath. The acoustic dynamics has changed. In the past we seldom if ever heard the guests in the neighboring units. Now we hear more than we would like. Our neighbors are not rowdy. We hear the footsteps, the washing machine, the doors, everything. I shall assume we can also be heard as we just do routine mundance activities.

Chuck S
12-22-2010, 11:41 AM
We are currently in a studio in Building 14. It's a third floor unit with a nice few and convenient to HH. I must concur with many of the previous comments regarding the renovations. Regarding the "dark" wood I can't make up my mind if they are attempting to replicate mahogany, a tropical wood, with a faux aged varnish effect or the dark oak stain so popular in the early to mid-70s. If I think mahogany I can live with it. The paint does reflect the hues in the pictures on the walls however the mat board still has the original colors so it does clash. If the curtains included the tropical pink/peach as opposed to the beige it might have worked. The loss of storage under the beds has been a tremendous inconvenience. The roman shades -- my daughter cut herself opening them. The blinds were more user friendly and allowed more control over the sunlight entering the room. With the blinds you still had a sense of privacy while affording a view. With the shades it seems to be all or nothing. If open, no privacy. The carpeting looks okay but feels as if there is no carpet pad underneath. The acoustic dynamics has changed. In the past we seldom if ever heard the guests in the neighboring units. Now we hear more than we would like. Our neighbors are not rowdy. We hear the footsteps, the washing machine, the doors, everything. I shall assume we can also be heard as we just do routine mundance activities.

I think the accoustics changed mostly because of the faux wood floor. It really is pretty noisy now, we noticed it in June when we were in a studio, we could hear everything from the one bedroom next door. And in the one bedroom we had a couple of weeks ago, it echos like being in a cavern. And it always looks a little dirty. I don't like it at all.

MELSMICE
12-22-2010, 03:40 PM
We are in a 2BR in building 13 - 2nd floor.

My brother & myself have also cut ourselves on the blinds. I agree that losing the under bed storage is very inconvenient. We like to unpack our suitcases & put them under the bed.

We haven't had a problem with hearing other people around us, but being in the 2BR we might not.

dianeschlicht
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I think the accoustics changed mostly because of the faux wood floor. It really is pretty noisy now, we noticed it in June when we were in a studio, we could hear everything from the one bedroom next door. And in the one bedroom we had a couple of weeks ago, it echos like being in a cavern. And it always looks a little dirty. I don't like it at all.

You know, we DID hear more from the studio locked off from our 1 bedroom than we usually do. We had three different groups there during our stay. The first one must have had a bunch of little ones, because they were VERY noisy and had a lot of crying. The next group came in for just one night, and we never heard them at all. The third group checked in two days before we checked out, and while we heard them a bit, it never really bothered us. Well, except for when they tried to open the door between the units. LOL! We were sitting in the living room both on our computers when that happened. I went over to make sure our side was locked, and then I knocked on the door. This elicited a "sorry" from the other side. It made me laugh.:rotfl:

eva
12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
So are the Roman shades on all the windows? I was looking at some pictures of the renovations and it seems that the Roman shades are only on the doors, not the windows. Is that correct? The windows seemed to have regular blinds.

dianeschlicht
12-22-2010, 05:47 PM
So are the Roman shades on all the windows? I was looking at some pictures of the renovations and it seems that the Roman shades are only on the doors, not the windows. Is that correct? The windows seemed to have regular blinds.

That's correct. The shades are on the French doors both in the living room and bedroom, and the rest of the windows have new blinds. The living room ones also have a valance above the windows.

Chuck S
12-22-2010, 05:47 PM

That is correct, the Roman shades are on the doors only.

MELSMICE
12-22-2010, 10:53 PM
That is correct, the Roman shades are on the doors only.
And thank goodness for that! They are a real pain in the neck to get up & down. Nice shades, crummy mechanics to raise & lower!

dmoore22
12-23-2010, 09:26 AM
And thank goodness for that! They are a real pain in the neck to get up & down. Nice shades, crummy mechanics to raise & lower!

They look okay but are not practical. I have to pull them
away from the window to use the mechanism without chewing up my hands. It takes two hands to raise and lower painlessly. Even the new blinds seem to be of a lower quality than the originals. Thinner slates, no blind tape and pull strings that are easily tangled. These are not for a high traffic use environment.

MELSMICE
12-23-2010, 04:58 PM
They look okay but are not practical. I have to pull them
away from the window to use the mechanism without chewing up my hands. It takes two hands to raise and lower painlessly. Even the new blinds seem to be of a lower quality than the originals. Thinner slates, no blind tape and pull strings that are easily tangled. These are not for a high traffic use environment.
That's exactly what we have to do. We keep saying we are going to time ourselves opening or closing them because it takes so long. We've given up putting up the one in the master - not worth the effort!

MELSMICE
12-23-2010, 05:37 PM
So, who would a letter go out to voicing our opinion about the renovations?

While we are pleased with the aesthetics of everything, I think a lot of the things were done "on the cheap", specifically the blinds & the "alligator" table as dianeschlicht named it. :goodvibes

Of course, nothing will change, but I still believe it's good to get feedback from members.

I also believe they will be replacing these blinds sooner than anticipated & end up spending twice the amount of money they would have had they invested in better quality ones.

Simba's Mom
12-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Is anyone besides me a little grumpy about the fact that they made such major changes without asking for members' opinions? I admit that it might just complicate matters to ask everyone, but how about a small sample, or at least show pictures and solicit opinions. I know, it's probably a no-win situatin, but I kind of wish they'd at least talked to some members.

Tinkmom
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM
From reading this thread I was seriously considering asking for a room that hadn't yet been rehabbed. So glad I didn't!

We LOVE this resort, and sure, would have been happy if someone had waved a wand and made it fresh and new and identical to the way it was first built. However, I "get" that some people would actually prefer a change while still keeping the same general vibe.

Whether it is more West Indies than Key West I have no idea, but am certainly familiar with the use of dark wood in tropical decor. The bedrooms do look different but that's not a bad thing! And we liked the crocodile-finish table. It's different and the color coordinates well. I'm sorry, but the complaints about the blinds we laughed about -- it takes what, 20 seconds to open and close them? Come on. :confused3 And I liked the new chairs for the dining area, but don't know how well they will wear.

I am one of those people who thinks carpet is kind of gross, when you think about all the dirt and germs you are sharing with everyone who's been walking on it since it was cleaned. I worried that the unit would be noisy but didn't find that to be the case at all.

At any rate, while some might want the decor to be simply peach and seafoam forever, that's just not the reality. But we enjoyed our three days in a rehabbed unit in building 45, especially with the wonderful view of the canal. :goodvibes

Deb & Bill
12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
...At any rate, while some might want the decor to be simply peach and seafoam forever, that's just not the reality. ...

I wonder if BCV owners would be upset if BCV was rehabbed and they got repainted furniture and dark colored bedding/furniture covers like VWL? That's what they did to OKW - turned it into BCV.

rsschneck
12-25-2010, 04:47 PM
We stayed 6 nights @ OKW near the hospitality house in room 1112 which is a 2 bedroom dedicated villa. We have not stayed @ OKW for a few years even though it is one of our home resorts. I thought the updates were okay. Nothing bothered me too much except for the OLD appliances they kept. Our refrigerator had rust on the side, the dishwasher top rack kept falling apart, the drier sounded like it was taking off. If you looked around there was major dust on lamp shades, ceiling fans, behind sink fixtures, etc.
Why do a MAJOR renovation if you are going to keep a lot of the old items that need replacing.
We took out the extra bedding to make out the new convertible chair in the living room and the plastic bag that the items were placed in on top of the shelf in the master bedroom stuck to the newly painted shelf and took off most of the paint.:eek:
We had a great stay and I do still love OKW but it seems like they only completed a partial renovation and could have done more to really jazz up the place.
I really liked being able to check in my bags with Magical Express for our flights home using Southwest Airlines.:woohoo:

Merry Christmas Everyone!:santa:

MELSMICE
12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
To make out the new convertible chair in the living room and the plastic bag that the items were placed in on top of the shelf in the master bedroom stuck to the newly painted shelf and took off most of the paint.:eek!!!
Same with us!!!!!

dianeschlicht
12-25-2010, 11:36 PM

While we are pleased with the aesthetics of everything, I think a lot of the things were done "on the cheap", specifically the blinds & the "alligator" table as dianeschlicht named it. :goodvibes

Of course, nothing will change, but I still believe it's good to get feedback from members.

I also believe they will be replacing these blinds sooner than anticipated & end up spending twice the amount of money they would have had they invested in better quality ones.

I've been wondering the same thing, and I think maybe Member Satisfaction is the right place, but then I'm not sure. I haven't written to anyone yet because I haven't figured out where it should go.

The "on the cheap" part is what bothered me too, and I can't figure out why they didn't replace the broken and worn out electrical outlets etc.

As for the blinds, the original wood blinds were very nice, and a few years ago when they were replaced with the cheaper plastic ones I was disappointed, but I thought these third ones were actually a bit better than the second version.

MELSMICE
12-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I've been wondering the same thing, and I think maybe Member Satisfaction is the right place, but then I'm not sure. I haven't written to anyone yet because I haven't figured out where it should go.

The "on the cheap" part is what bothered me too, and I can't figure out why they didn't replace the broken and worn out electrical outlets etc.

As for the blinds, the original wood blinds were very nice, and a few years ago when they were replaced with the cheaper plastic ones I was disappointed, but I thought these third ones were actually a bit better than the second version.
I look the look of the roman blinds. I actually prefer them to the wooden ones, but that's just a personal preference. The thing I think is horrible is the opening/closing mechanism.

The smaller "wood look" blinds on the smaller windows look like a thick plastic, so they look OK but I think the other ones were better quality. I do like how they look on the windows.

I definitely would like to draft a letter just stating my opinions. I'm not looking to bash everything, but it's good to get feedback. I actually look forward to receiving my "satisfaction survey" that usually comes after a stay at WDW resort of any kind.

dianeschlicht
12-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I look the look of the roman blinds. I actually prefer them to the wooden ones, but that's just a personal preference. The thing I think is horrible is the opening/closing mechanism.

The smaller "wood look" blinds on the smaller windows look like a thick plastic, so they look OK but I think the other ones were better quality. I do like how they look on the windows.

I definitely would like to draft a letter just stating my opinions. I'm not looking to bash everything, but it's good to get feedback. I actually look forward to receiving my "satisfaction survey" that usually comes after a stay at WDW resort of any kind.

When you decide where it should go, let me know, because I want to express some opinions too. I'm not bashing either....Just wish I knew why certain decisions were made. I LOVE the roman shades too, but I'm glad they didn't put those on the living room windows where the blinds are. The blinds are much easier to use. I never once opened our shade on the master bedroom door to the deck this trip, because it was too much trouble to deal with that mechanism twice a day. It's the first OKW trip where I never once used that door.

Chuck S
12-26-2010, 10:34 AM
I would send an email to Member Satisfaction. That's what I did in June after staying in a refurbished Studio. I received a call, likely just to placate me, but I think it does at least create a path for input, and if they see a lot of comments, they may do better next time.

Deb & Bill
12-26-2010, 11:38 AM
I would send an email to Member Satisfaction. That's what I did in June after staying in a refurbished Studio. I received a call, likely just to placate me, but I think it does at least create a path for input, and if they see a lot of comments, they may do better next time.

You know, it worked at BLT for the awful studio bathrooms. Maybe it will work at OKW. They really need to redo some of the mess they made.

dianeschlicht
12-26-2010, 11:55 AM
You know, it worked at BLT for the awful studio bathrooms. Maybe it will work at OKW. They really need to redo some of the mess they made.
Good point! I'm definitely going to write something for MS!

MELSMICE
12-26-2010, 12:04 PM
When you decide where it should go, let me know, because I want to express some opinions too. I'm not bashing either....Just wish I knew why certain decisions were made. I LOVE the roman shades too, but I'm glad they didn't put those on the living room windows where the blinds are. The blinds are much easier to use. I never once opened our shade on the master bedroom door to the deck this trip, because it was too much trouble to deal with that mechanism twice a day. It's the first OKW trip where I never once used that door.
You know, I actually have an address at home in my DVC folder (we're in Florida still) that was given to me on a trip that when we had some room issues. It may just be the the Member Satisfaction address, but for some reason I think it was to someplace/someone else. I'll share it when we get home, but that won't be for a few weeks.

We only opened our master roman shades once also. Too much hassle.

dianeschlicht
12-26-2010, 12:09 PM
You know, I actually have an address at home in my DVC folder (we're in Florida still) that was given to me on a trip that when we had some room issues. It may just be the the Member Satisfaction address, but for some reason I think it was to someplace/someone else. I'll share it when we get home, but that won't be for a few weeks.

We only opened our master roman shades once also. Too much hassle.

Thanks! That would be great!

AKV707
12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
This is a small complaint about the OKW 2 BR we stayed in in Oct. It was our first time in anything larger than a studio at OKW. Why is the internet jack behind the end table in the living room? where do they expect someone to put their laptop?

I agree that the bed was very very comfortable.

Chuck S
12-26-2010, 02:50 PM
This is a small complaint about the OKW 2 BR we stayed in in Oct. It was our first time in anything larger than a studio at OKW. Why is the internet jack behind the end table in the living room? where do they expect someone to put their laptop?

I agree that the bed was very very comfortable.

That, for some reason, is where the modem has always been, BUT it used to be connected to a port near the built in buffet cabinet. When the rooms were renovated, all the additional ports were removed, and now you have to plug directly into the modem. The modem for the studios is now behind the bed stand, no longer by the table and chairs. I have no idea why they removed the more convenient access ports.

It really makes it necessary to bring your own router.

KAT4DISNEY
12-26-2010, 03:38 PM

I'd send it to Member Satisfaction. That's what I did after my first stay in a BLT studio last Feb. Mentioned a few items that were missing such as a full length mirror and of course the sink situation. Received a call and they said that they gather the info and pass it on to management. Apparently all the input did garner some results there.

That, for some reason, is where the modem has always been, BUT it used to be connected to a port near the built in buffet cabinet. When the rooms were renovated, all the additional ports were removed, and now you have to plug directly into the modem. The modem for the studios is now behind the bed stand, no longer by the table and chairs. I have no idea why they removed the more convenient access ports.

It really makes it necessary to bring your own router.

We were just in an unrenovated studio in Dec where the port in the studio was by the table. Was just perfect. So now they've moved it over by the bedstand???? I don't understand it. :confused: Who ever is making the decisions on ports recently doesn't seem to have considered people accessing them. And to change wiring to make it more inaccessible is just weird.

Chuck S
12-26-2010, 03:43 PM
We were just in an unrenovated studio in Dec where the port in the studio was by the table. Was just perfect. So now they've moved it over by the bedstand???? I don't understand it. :confused: Who ever is making the decisions on ports recently doesn't seem to have considered people accessing them. And to change wiring to make it more inaccessible is just weird.

The modem itself is behind the bedstand, the port by the table is being removed...all ports are being removed and you have to plug directly into the modem.

Very inconvenient :(

staceymay00
12-26-2010, 10:11 PM
We just returned from a week long stay in a dedicated 2BR. We were very happy with our renovated villa for the most part. It was our first stay at OKW and I have only seen the previous design in pictures. I actually like the new look better, although I can see how the original design was more in line with an old key west theme. I like the faux wood floor in the living room much better than carpet. Real hardwoods look nicer, but I can understand why they went with the faux wood for cost control and durability. The roman shade system did not bother us, although I did make a point of raising them only about two thirds of the way up and lowering them at night to about two thirds of the way down to save time.

The thermostat worked ok for us but I noticed it was hard to make small changes in temperature. There were times the villa was a little warm, for example, but when I bumped the temperature down by just one degree it then began to feel too cold.

My one criticism is that they did not clean up some of the existing things that remained. For example, it would have been nice if they had cleaned the interior of the cabinets really well and touched up the grout and tiles. Most of the tile and grout in our villa looked good, but some areas like in corners and near the toilet bases looked old and grimy. The metal window and door frames in the master shower were also a little gross. I think they could have cleaned up the gunk on the metal and re-caulked without much added expense. Issues like these were isolated and not much of a bother, it just seems they would have been taken care of during the refurbishment.

AKV707
12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
We had a very similar experience on our October trip. We were in building 13 in a dedicated 2 br. We also thought that the villa looked great. Of course, the only other stay that we have had at OKW was in a studion in 2007, our first DVC trip.

The OKW veterans here have a much better understanding of the differences that the renovations made. So I understand their ability to better critique the work.

We were very happy, and the master bath was in great shape.

AKV707
12-26-2010, 10:27 PM
The modem itself is behind the bedstand, the port by the table is being removed...all ports are being removed and you have to plug directly into the modem.

It really is. I guess they are assuming that everyone will bring a wireless router? I made a laptop desk out of the high chair!

I can't believe that they moved the one in the studio. I hope they didn't do that at BWV. AKV is set up well for the web.

I guess it is time for a new router at home and our current one will live in our Owner's Locker.

KAT4DISNEY
12-26-2010, 11:22 PM

Oh - I understand better now and at least they aren't moving wiring. Still doesn't make sense when they have an existing port that is in a good location to close it off.

As you say - very inconvenient and not an improvement. :sad2:

edk35
12-27-2010, 12:33 AM
:scared1: I requested a renovated 2br. for our trip in Jan. :scared1: Maybe I should just remove that request. :rotfl: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm or see if SSR is available??

dianeschlicht
12-27-2010, 07:11 AM
:scared1: I requested a renovated 2br. for our trip in Jan. :scared1: Maybe I should just remove that request. :rotfl: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm or see if SSR is available??

Now WHY would you even say that? OKW is still a marvelous resort. It's just that those of us who own there are a bit nonplussed about the renovations. They seem to have cheapened the place and weren't as extensive as many of us expected.

jimmytammy
12-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Hey Diane

We will be staying at OKW for 2nd time in Mar. We are looking forward to being in a larger 1 bed than what we are used too at VWL. They have us staying near HH, any reason to stay away from that area?

MELSMICE
12-27-2010, 08:33 AM
I would definitely still stay at OKW. There is nothing wrong with the rooms. They are beautiful. They are the largest of all the DVC units.

Also, I always believe that I have to experience something myself and then make my own opinion. A few years ago myself & 3 of my DD's stayed at POP. I would normally never stay there because we own DVC & are a family of 5, however, only 3 of us were going so this was my opportunity to stay there & form my own opinion.

Hey Diane

We will be staying at OKW for 2nd time in Mar. We are looking forward to being in a larger 1 bed than what we are used too at VWL. They have us staying near HH, any reason to stay away from that area?
I'm not Diane, but the HH is a nice place to stay. It can get a little busy at times, but it's very convenient.

If you're taking the bus home from the parks & they stop @ Peninsular first, it's best to get off there & walk instead of remaining on the bus though. It will take you longer to get through the resort & back to the HH stop than it is to get off @ Peninsular & walk.

Have a great trip!

dianeschlicht
12-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey Diane

Not as long as you don't need to have living room guests. That area does not have the private access to the bathroom, so living room guests can only access the bathroom by going through the master bedroom. To get that second door, you need to be in a building over number 30. HH area is buildings 11-14 and 23-26.

AKV707
12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I didn't know that! Thanks Diane.

dianeschlicht
12-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I didn't know that! Thanks Diane.

It's the one little piece of information about HH category that is most important for those who use the living room as a bedroom.

jimmytammy
12-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Not as long as you don't need to have living room guests. That area does not have the private access to the bathroom, so living room guests can only access the bathroom by going through the master bedroom. To get that second door, you need to be in a building over number 30. HH area is buildings 11-14 and 23-26.

Thanks for the heads up. We are looking forward to staying in a bigger 1 bed but that would have caused issues. Teens ares still in tow, so LR will be occupied. We do like that 2nd bath door. So made the call and asked for area with 50s(cant remember the name, south something?:confused3) When we booked, they asked if HH was OK, we didnt know difference, so we said yes. Boat to DTD would have been a plus, but we can hoof it to the docks if buses arent around, I need the exercise anyway:laughing:

dianeschlicht
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up. We are looking forward to staying in a bigger 1 bed but that would have caused issues. Teens ares still in tow, so LR will be occupied. We do like that 2nd bath door. So made the call and asked for area with 50s(cant remember the name, south something?:confused3) When we booked, they asked if HH was OK, we didnt know difference, so we said yes. Boat to DTD would have been a plus, but we can hoof it to the docks if buses arent around, I need the exercise anyway:laughing:

50's buildings are South Point. The walk from buidings 55 and 56 to HH would be about 10 minutes. Maybe longer from buildings 49 or 50.

emmabelle
12-30-2010, 08:05 AM
It really is. I guess they are assuming that everyone will bring a wireless router?

I bought a wireless router for our stay at BWI in July, but we were close enough to the CL lounge that we didn't even have to take it out of the box.

So I should be fine in a renovated studio with it? My husband likes to check his email several times a day and I like to use my mini laptop to keep in touch with stuff.

MELSMICE
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
I bought a wireless router for our stay at BWI in July, but we were close enough to the CL lounge that we didn't even have to take it out of the box.

So I should be fine in a renovated studio with it? My husband likes to check his email several times a day and I like to use my mini laptop to keep in touch with stuff.
My brother brought a wireless router with him for our stay in a 2BR last week. It's definitely something we'll be bringing every trip now. Everyone either had a Macbook or an IPAD. We were able to do what we wanted on our devices at the same time.

MELSMICE
01-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, I guess I thought I had some special address or person to contact, but the only thing I have in my folder from a previous issue we had is an address for Jim Lewis which is:

Mr. James M. Lewis
Disney Vacation Club
200 Celebration Place
2nd Floor, Suite 210
Celebration, FL 34747

I do remember being told that if I wanted any kind of satisfaction that I should send my letter to this address directly & that Mr. Lewis would most definitely get it.

Also, after sending a letter we did receive compensation for our troubles and were satisfied with that compensation.

garydeb
01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Hi All,

We stayed at OKW bldg 40 in Dec 2010 in a studio. The internet was behind the bedside stand. I called the internet tech number about problem with the internet by the bedside stand instead of beside the table. They said that they have had alot of complains and would send someone over to look at it. The tech guy actually came in about 10 minutes, we shocked that he showed up so quick. He said he didn't know why they haven't hooked the interent back up to be beside the table but they have been correcting the problem as people call them. It took him all of 2 mintues to fix the problem!!! I could sit at the table and chairs to connect to the internet I was happy and so was my back. So if you get a room with the internet behind the bedside table Call the tech people to fix it.

-Debbie

dianeschlicht
01-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi All,

We stayed at OKW bldg 40 in Dec 2010 in a studio. The internet was behind the bedside stand. I called the internet tech number about problem with the internet by the bedside stand instead of beside the table. They said that they have had alot of complains and would send someone over to look at it. The tech guy actually came in about 10 minutes, we shocked that he showed up so quick. He said he didn't know why they haven't hooked the interent back up to be beside the table but they have been correcting the problem as people call them. It took him all of 2 mintues to fix the problem!!! I could sit at the table and chairs to connect to the internet I was happy and so was my back. So if you get a room with the internet behind the bedside table Call the tech people to fix it.

-Debbie

Stupid that they didn't hook it up in the first place! I hate that they are putting it on the guests to call and get these things done.

dianeschlicht
01-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Hey, has anyone stayed in a renovated GV yet???? I've been trying to find out if they moved the internet in those too, and where they put it. We will be leaving for a GV next week, and there will be 3 laptops in the unit.

Chuck S
01-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi All,

-Debbie

In the one bedroom we had in December, the modem is located behind the living room table. And the convenient jack near the built in buffet counter had been completely removed, there is no way they could reconnect to it.

I tried connecting the router, that didn;t work, so I direct connected, and that also didn't work. Tech support replaced our modem, then I could connect the router, so I was happy.

dianeschlicht
01-14-2011, 09:05 AM
In the one bedroom we had in December, the modem is located behind the living room table. And the convenient jack near the built in buffet counter had been completely removed, there is no way they could reconnect to it.

I tried connecting the router, that didn;t work, so I direct connected, and that also didn't work. Tech support replaced our modem, then I could connect the router, so I was happy.

Yes, we had trouble with getting the wireless to work in our 1 bedroom in Dec. as well. I'm anxious to see what they did in the GVs.

Deb & Bill
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Yes, we had trouble with getting the wireless to work in our 1 bedroom in Dec. as well. I'm anxious to see what they did in the GVs.

Every time my 24 hours elapsed last week, I had to call customer support (56 or was it 65) and get the code to log in. And I didn't use a router, I just connected direclty.

Chuck S
01-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Every time my 24 hours elapsed last week, I had to call customer support (56 or was it 65) and get the code to log in. And I didn't use a router, I just connected direclty.

That happened to me on the first trip that I brought my laptop, but I haven't had that problem recently.

Mom B
01-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Just got back from 4 nights in #1711. I really thought the renovation turned out well, didn't mind the color scheme. Didn't even mind the mechanisms on the roman shades, as they were pretty much the same as the ones at Vero Beach (where we stayed the first 3 days of our vacation). And my Mom had similar ones on her blinds that were put in a couple years ago (they were quite expensive as I recall)...so that was no big deal. I did notice a few very small paint splatters on the backsplash in the bathroom...apparently they missed a few spills when they painted the trim around the mirror! Again, no big deal. But the front of the dishwasher looked like the unit had been dropped off the forklift and left to rust...all banged up on the bottom and big patches of paint missing, DH said it was 'appalling' for a unit that was supposed to have been renovated. I didn't complain because it was only cosmetic, didn't affect the operation of the appliance, but I did agree that it looked really tacky!! And I thought the fabric on the valance in the living room was kind of weird but it went okay so it didn't bother me (I don't like the wallpaper in my main floor hall either, but it's in good shape so I tolerate it for now!) So all in all I'm comfortable with the changes and would happily stay there again. It still feels like home!!;)

dianeschlicht
01-16-2011, 11:09 AM
MomB, I don't think the appliances were replaced. We felt the ones in our renovated unit had seen better days too.

Chuck S
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think the appliances were replaced, either. Though the ones in the unit we had in December were in good shape.

dianeschlicht
01-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think the appliances were replaced, either. Though the ones in the unit we had in December were in good shape.

I seem to remember they were all replaced a couple of years ago, so that's likely why they weren't upgraded now.

arielrocks
01-19-2011, 06:34 AM
i still haven't stayed at Old Key West, but its next on my list!

Melynny
01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Well, we are in our renovated 1 br. It's in bldg 19. I have found that I like the 1br decor better than the studio. I am happy with the counter top as well as the island. The floor looks good and is not as loud as I expected, although I do think the whole living area sounds "echoy". I think the cabinets have been made to be a bit darker to blend with the floor, they don't seem to be as light. I think the teal on the wood walls that used to be more antiqued that is more solid looks fine. I don't like the choices of fabric on the sofa, it's a blue with small red, plaid. the valances are in a small coral print in a red color. There are 4 cream pillows with red sea shells printed on them ( this does tie in nicely with the sea shell on the hall mirror and all the sea shells in the concrete.) The sleeper chair is brown, that's about all that can be said about that. BUT it gives the 1 br the ability to sleep 5.. a great addtion for all that extra square footage.

I do like the teal fabric on the dining chairs, it is a jaccard palm tree print on the back and a solid on the seat, nicely done. I don't mind the mix of woods... I like the new lamps in the darker tones, I do not like the Lifegard light that replaced the "Conch Flats" lamp on the sofa table. As for the roman shades, I do find them a pain to open and close, they are not as adjustable, as the others. We did find some sharp edges on the folding hardware, but only after we looked after hearing about it on here. We don't like how you can still see in the side of those shades either... we had to put a chair against them to hold the tight to the glass.

As for the appliances they were not replaced in our unit, It won't be long before the Refrigerator will be though, it's on it's last leg. It sounds as though the compressor is falling out of the bottom each time it cycles. We do have a new Coffeemaker, toaster and Iron.

Oh one big thing that I have not heard mentioned, is that the Fiesta ware is gone... (Did I miss it?) it's all been replaced with a lower cost white procelain. That is a bit of a dissapointment.

All in all I'd give this refurb about a 70%.. Better but not perfect:hippie:

SusieBea
01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
I do not like the Lifegard light that replaced the "Conch Flats" lamp on the sofa table.

Thank You! I felt the same way! It's cute, but it's not the appropriate size.

Chuck S
01-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, we are in our renovated 1 br. It's in bldg 19. I have found that I like the 1br decor better than the studio. I am happy with the counter top as well as the island. The floor looks good and is not as loud as I expected, although I do think the whole living area sounds "echoy". I think the cabinets have been made to be a bit darker to blend with the floor, they don't seem to be as light. I think the teal on the wood walls that used to be more antiqued that is more solid looks fine. I don't like the choices of fabric on the sofa, it's a blue with small red, plaid. the valances are in a small coral print in a red color. There are 4 cream pillows with red sea shells printed on them ( this does tie in nicely with the sea shell on the hall mirror and all the sea shells in the concrete.) The sleeper chair is brown, that's about all that can be said about that. BUT it gives the 1 br the ability to sleep 5.. a great addtion for all that extra square footage.

I do like the teal fabric on the dining chairs, it is a jaccard palm tree print on the back and a solid on the seat, nicely done. I don't mind the mix of woods... I like the new lamps in the darker tones, I do not like the Lifegard light that replaced the "Conch Flats" lamp on the sofa table. As for the roman shades, I do find them a pain to open and close, they are not as adjustable, as the others. We did find some sharp edges on the folding hardware, but only after we looked after hearing about it on here. We don't like how you can still see in the side of those shades either... we had to put a chair against them to hold the tight to the glass.

As for the appliances they were not replaced in our unit, It won't be long before the Refrigerator will be though, it's on it's last leg. It sounds as though the compressor is falling out of the bottom each time it cycles. We do have a new Coffeemaker, toaster and Iron.

Oh one big thing that I have not heard mentioned, is that the Fiesta ware is gone... (Did I miss it?) it's all been replaced with a lower cost white procelain. That is a bit of a dissapointment.

We had Fiestaware in December. Maybe this is freshly replaced? I really liked the Fiestaware, I will miss it.

As far as the lifeguard lamp, I do like it, but I liked the original lamp better. I think one of the probklems is "adding" some Disney themed things to a resort that wasn't very Disney themed. How many complaints did we hear on the board about OKW not "feeling" like Disney, with many or us original owners saying that it isn't supposed to be Disney themed, it is Victorian era Key West.

dianeschlicht
01-19-2011, 11:43 AM

We still had Fiesta Ware in our renovated unit! So your's was white????

dianeschlicht
01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank You! I felt the same way! It's cute, but it's not the appropriate size.
Not the appropriate size and NOT Victorian 1900 to fit the theme either!:confused:

MELSMICE
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
We still had Fiesta Ware in our renovated unit! So your's was white????
We still had Fiesta wear, but we did not have 8 of everything. While I like the Fiesta wear, it is definitely big, bulky & heavy!

Melynny
01-19-2011, 10:09 PM
I am eating ice cream out of a bowl right now.. it's white, semi heavy, but not even the same shape as the Fiestaware. It has BII on the bottom.. any idea who makes that? We have a full set for 8, and I think the same ol flat ware. Also it appears that they are working on bldg 29 refurbs.. And I posted that bldg 35 was complete, well they have the parking area blocked off and it looks like they are replacing some of the siding? there. Bldg 56 is still occupied in non refurb state, as is bldg 18.

I tried to talk to our guide about the refurbishment.. The first thing he said, was " I hear they are pretty nice, I have not seen them yet, even though I own there.. They have hard wood floors right?".. I said no.. they are vinylwood and just smiled.. Then I tried to talk about the new changes to non developer owned points.. and how he thinks it wil affect the product. All I really got was typical salesman speak. We did end up adding on at Saratoga.

DVCDebb
01-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Just stayed in 6430 that is 2 bedroom Had stayed here before and the improvements seem nice. Has lost the old key west touch. internet connections behind living room table a pain to use liked it better by the dining table The new life guard lamp cute but really prefer the old lamps. Floor was great and surprised at the dark color As for the appliances they were not replaced same old sad diswasher and the cabinets could use some help still. New dishes work well for us but did like the old fiesta ware. As for the blinds on the doors they will not last poor design wooden ones should have stayed. The bathroom looked bad I must say as the master bath shower really showed wear and needed repair. Again repairs seem cheap looking and hope they will hold up. Stayed at BLT last Dec and was disappointed then in how bad the place had been treated by some guests the furniture and carpet are not going to last. And please get rid of the ugly table in living room at OKW such an ugly color green something that looks like kids spilled paint all over. Does not even blend with dark stain on old dining table. wish the updates blended better and appliances replaced but this room has had some improvements just not sure money for udates was well spent. OKW still home but lost a lot of charm.

dianeschlicht
01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Just stayed in 6430 that is 2 bedroom Had stayed here before and the improvements seem nice. Has lost the old key west touch. internet connections behind living room table a pain to use liked it better by the dining table The new life guard lamp cute but really prefer the old lamps. Floor was great and surprised at the dark color As for the appliances they were not replaced same old sad diswasher and the cabinets could use some help still. New dishes work well for us but did like the old fiesta ware. As for the blinds on the doors they will not last poor design wooden ones should have stayed. The bathroom looked bad I must say as the master bath shower really showed wear and needed repair. Again repairs seem cheap looking and hope they will hold up. Stayed at BLT last Dec and was disappointed then in how bad the place had been treated by some guests the furniture and carpet are not going to last. And please get rid of the ugly table in living room at OKW such an ugly color green something that looks like kids spilled paint all over. Does not even blend with dark stain on old dining table. wish the updates blended better and appliances replaced but this room has had some improvements just not sure money for udates was well spent. OKW still home but lost a lot of charm.

Sounds like your assessment was similar to ours. We did not have the new dishes in our refurbed unit in December. Fiesta Ware just says beach theme to me, and I always liked that they didn't match. I wonder if some of those "soft goods" are being changed out after rehabs are done?

dianeschlicht
01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Okay, so I gave my views on the 1-2 bedroom renovations after our December trip, so here is my review of the Grand Villa renos after our trip last week.

First of all, let me say I was very happy they kept the REAL hardwood floors here! They had been refinished to match the color that they used for the vinyl flooring in the 1&2 bedroom units, but it was still the real wood, and very nicely refinished. In fact, it looked much like the refinish they did at the HH lobby floor.

I thought the colors in the GV were a bit bland. The pale pale yellow looked a bit stark and uninteresting with white crown molding etc. They did paint one accent wall in the dining room, making it match the fabric on the dining chairs. The master bedroom was just as bland as the living room too. There was a little darker gold color on the wall behind the bed, but it just looked very sterile and uninteresting to me.

LOVED the rug in the living room! I liked that it was larger and didn't just look like a postage stamp under the coffee table like the 1&2 bedroom units did. It really was a perfect match for the fabric on the sofas.

I also liked the new fabrics on the cushions of the wicker chairs, and was happy to see they kept those!

Now for the "what the heck were they thinking" parts of the GV renovations.

We stayed in this exact same unit 5 years ago. That was the last time we stayed in a GV, and the issues we had then were still there....only worse. We had terrible issues on that trip with cupboard doors not fitting correctly and a broken dishwasher rack that kept falling apart. That same broken dishwasher was still there, and the rollers were still falling off of the bottom rack. On top of that, you couldn't put the door all the way down, so the rack could not be pulled out all the way for loading and unloading. They did manage to replace the broken latch handle or at least repair it by painting some of that rubbery stuff they use to coat tool handles. All in all, that dishwasher needed replacing last time we were there 5 years ago, and it has definitely outlived its usefulness now! On top of all that, the cupboard doors were falling off their hinges, and the drawers on either side of the stove stuck and couldn't easily be opened and closed because they had jammed the stove into a spot that was too small for it. The drawers stuck on the sides because of the improper size of the opening for the stove. The fridge was not only old, but was a "left handed" opening fridge in a right hand facing kitchen....VERY inconvenient to say the least.

Why did they not replace these worn out cabinets and appliances????? It just made the renovation look like it had never been done.

The other disappointing thing was that they didn't refinish the banister. They did paint the spindles on it, but the banister was still a very worn "pickled" wood finish like the cabinets. Again....it gave it a "needs to still be renovated" look. Our guests (who also own at OKW) couldn't see anything that had been renovated other than the counter tops. They said that there other timeshares have always done complete renovations every 10 years, and they were very disappointed in the look of the "new" OKW.

On the plus side, the Jacuzzi tub had been resurfaced, and it was very well done with a new non-slip surface. In fact, I laughed that I had to lift my butt up off the bottom to move because it wouldn't let me slide!:rotfl:

dianeschlicht
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Oh, and we DID still have Fiesta Ware, but they had put all one color of each item in the unit. The bowls were all teal, the plates were all orange, and the bread and butter plates red. The cups were 3 different shades of teal. I liked that part at least. I wouldn't want the white ones.

Sammie
01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Why did they not replace these worn out cabinets and appliances????? It just made the renovation look like it had never been done.

I hope you ask this of Member Satisfaction, would love to know their reply.

Honestly I am concerned that with sales being down, they are cutting corners on keeping the existing resorts up to the standard they were when they were new and not using our fees wisely.

Bunless
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
We just returned from ten days in a renovated studio.

We loved it. Loved the blues and neutrals.
Thought both the blinds and roman shades were great, didn't really have an issue with the amount of time it took to pull them up and down.
The mugs were fiesta ware.
The appliances were fine, didn't see a need to replace them.

One of the reasons that we never stayed at OKW in the past were the colors. Neither DH nor myself thought we could spend more than a night in the pink walls that they showed in the literature.

Our complaint would have to be that they didn't switch to a sleeper bed for the second bed.

dianeschlicht
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Thought both the blinds and roman shades were great, didn't really have an issue with the amount of time it took to pull them up and down.

One of the reasons that we never stayed at OKW in the past were the colors. Neither DH nor myself thought we could spend more than a night in the pink walls that they showed in the literature.

Our complaint would have to be that they didn't switch to a sleeper bed for the second bed.

You were in a studio. I'm quite sure the microwave and fridge would be fine there. It's the dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator in the 1,2, and 3 bedroom units that we were speaking of. You also didn't have the large balcony that the 1,2,&3 bedroom units have, so probably not as much need to move the roman shades all the time. The blinds in the units are fine...Just the roman shades that have the difficult mechanism.

Deb & Bill
02-01-2011, 01:19 PM
...Our complaint would have to be that they didn't switch to a sleeper bed for the second bed.

I'm glad they didn't. If I have to stay in a studio, it's going to be an OKW studio so we can get real beds.

edk35
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Did they take a bed out and put in a sofa????

dianeschlicht
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Did they take a bed out and put in a sofa????

No, and I doubt they could or would do that. OKW is the only DVC resort at WDW that has 2 queen "real" beds in the studio. A complete change of the bedding profiles would probably anger a lot of us who purchased there. No way do I want the number of real beds in a 2 bedroom lock off to be reduced by one bed.

edk35
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
No, and I doubt they could or would do that. OKW is the only DVC resort at WDW that has 2 queen "real" beds in the studio. A complete change of the bedding profiles would probably anger a lot of us who purchased there. No way do I want the number of real beds in a 2 bedroom lock off to be reduced by one bed.

Oh good.... because that is one thing we like about OKW is the two beds.

dianeschlicht
02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to contact Member Satisfaction about the issues with the cabinets in the renovated GV we had last week. I can't imagine there is anything they can do about it, but I do think they need to know how we feel. I guess I'm not sure where a complaint of this nature is best made.

MtlFire
02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
I was there in 2010. Anyone notice that when they painted the outside of the buildings they painted all the vents closed?

This was quickly noticed when we showered. We could steam up the whole studio. Which was odd as you could hear the fan running. One day I tried a piece of tissue paper and noticed that although running it wouldn't suck it up. The next day as we were going out to the parks I realized that the outside of the building had fresh paint, I checked the vents and sure enough painted shut. Opened up mine and presto, no more problem. I looked around and all the vents in my building were painted shut -- including the next door 1 bedroom's dryer vent (which was running!).

I don't have enough posts to include images -- which is likely good for you guys. When standing on the chair to check the fan I was able to see what was growing on top of the windows, the mirror etc. There was fungus everywhere. And not just the black mildew you get on the caulking in your shower. We're talking the fuzzy, lumpy friends you get if the power goes out in your fridge for a few weeks in the summer (plus the black mildew).

I walked down to the front desk and mentioned it. I wasn't taken very seriously. When I checked out the vents were all still painted shut and stuff was still growing in the bathroom. I mentioned it again at check out and emailed member services when I got home with pictures.

I highly doubt that the high humidity and stuff growing in the bathroom was limited to just my studio.

alldiz
02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to contact Member Satisfaction about the issues with the cabinets in the renovated GV we had last week. I can't imagine there is anything they can do about it, but I do think they need to know how we feel. I guess I'm not sure where a complaint of this nature is best made.
I definately would. I've never stayed in a grand villa....but isn't the point to be "Grand":confused3 Seriously.....I would be very upset to see a recently refurbed room....falling apart....Very scary.
I was there in 2010. Anyone notice that when they painted the outside of the buildings they painted all the vents closed?This was quickly noticed when we showered. We could steam up the whole studio. Which was odd as you could hear the fan running. One day I tried a piece of tissue paper and noticed that although running it wouldn't suck it up. The next day as we were going out to the parks I realized that the outside of the building had fresh paint, I checked the vents and sure enough painted shut. Opened up mine and presto, no more problem. I looked around and all the vents in my building were painted shut -- including the next door 1 bedroom's dryer vent (which was running!).

I don't have enough posts to include images -- which is likely good for you guys. When standing on the chair to check the fan I was able to see what was growing on top of the windows, the mirror etc. There was fungus everywhere. And not just the black mildew you get on the caulking in your shower. We're talking the fuzzy, lumpy friends you get if the power goes out in your fridge for a few weeks in the summer (plus the black mildew).I walked down to the front desk and mentioned it. I wasn't taken very seriously. When I checked out the vents were all still painted shut and stuff was still growing in the bathroom. I mentioned it again at check out and emailed member services when I got home with pictures.

I highly doubt that the high humidity and stuff growing in the bathroom was limited to just my studio.

:scared1::eek::sad2:
OMG......how disgusting....please post when MS contacts you about your letter with pictures. This post makes having hanging cabinet doors in the kitchen a home run room winner.

OMG.....I am not one of those people that check into a room a do a critical run down. Of course you would have never discovered this if some idiot didn't paint the vent shut:sad2:
I can tell you I will be looking with my 4 eyes next trip.
Kerri

dcamdad
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=MtlFire;39797249]I was there in 2010. Anyone notice that when they painted the outside of the buildings they painted all the vents closed?

This was quickly noticed when we showered. We could steam up the whole studio. Which was odd as you could hear the fan running. One day I tried a piece of tissue paper and noticed that although running it wouldn't suck it up. The next day as we were going out to the parks I realized that the outside of the building had fresh paint, I checked the vents and sure enough painted shut. Opened up mine and presto, no more problem. I looked around and all the vents in my building were painted shut -- including the next door 1 bedroom's dryer vent (which was running!).

Yep, after our first load of laundry wouldn't dry this past December I went outside and found the vents painted shut. Upon opening the vent and restarting the dryer the entire upper walkway was covered with dryer lint. I immediately found a maintenance person and showed him the mess. He radioed for a crew to come clean the mess and inspect the rest of the vents. We were in bldg 45 so those should be open now I'm not sure about the other buildings.

MtlFire
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
dcamdad: Gee thats great to know. I was there in JUNE. And in December they still hadn't looked into it?! Other than not drying, thats a terrible fire hazard.

Member services was quick to write back. Thanks for letting us know, thats terrible, we'll let building services know... yadda yadda yadda... have a magical day!

Apparently attachments get deleted, so they never saw the photos, or otherwise the CSR's don't see them. The painted vents was one thing, my "friends" growing in the bathroom were kinda a turn off to OKW. I was actually quite surprised at how nonchalant it was taken, and disappointed to hear from people there 6 months later with the similar issues.

dcamdad
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I tried to cut a deal with the staff but apparently they thought I was joking.

Being in the HVAC business I have duct cleaning equipment and two crews who only do duct/vent cleaning. I remarked that I could have my equipment shipped down and clean all the vents and associated ducting for all the buildings in OKW and all it would cost them is a 2-BR villa and park passes for a month.(Why rush) The maintenance supervisor kinda chuckeled and said he'd let me know before the end of our trip. Oh well I tried.

Sammie
02-03-2011, 05:20 PM

I would simply because it reveals an attitude of not doing things first class in the rehab.

Sammie
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=MtlFire;39797249]I was there in 2010. Anyone notice that when they painted the outside of the buildings they painted all the vents closed?

Yep, after our first load of laundry wouldn't dry this past December I went outside and found the vents painted shut. Upon opening the vent and restarting the dryer the entire upper walkway was covered with dryer lint. I immediately found a maintenance person and showed him the mess. He radioed for a crew to come clean the mess and inspect the rest of the vents. We were in bldg 45 so those should be open now I'm not sure about the other buildings.

Not only a mess but a fire hazard. :sad2:

dianeschlicht
02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I would simply because it reveals an attitude of not doing things first class in the rehab.

I got the online survey today, and I was able to address the dishwasher and cabinet issues in that. One of the questions was if everything was in working order in the unit. I was able to expound on it in the essay part of the answer. The fact is, I doubt anyone really sees those things.

Supermom3
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
We have 4 studios booked March 6-11 in HH category. My sister called yesterday to inquire about renovated buildings, and was told that buildings 23-26 were all shut down for renovations at this time, and they wouldn't know when they would be complete. Does anyone know the current status of these HH buildings 23-26? Thanks so much! :)

dianeschlicht
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
We have 4 studios booked March 6-11 in HH category. My sister called yesterday to inquire about renovated buildings, and was told that buildings 23-26 were all shut down for renovations at this time, and they wouldn't know when they would be complete. Does anyone know the current status of these HH buildings 23-26? Thanks so much! :)

When we were there last week, 23 was being renovated. they were moving countertops in etc. I didn't notice that 26 was also included. It looked to me like it was just 23.

Anna114
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I go home last night. We spoke with bell services on the way out. He said there are only 3 buildings let to renovate and should be done in the next 2 months. I loved the 2 beds but would really have preferred a couch instead. I hate sitting on a bed.

Deb & Bill
02-04-2011, 07:42 PM
.... I loved the 2 beds but would really have preferred a couch instead. I hate sitting on a bed.

Then you have the choice of staying somewhere else than OKW. Those of us who like the two beds don't have that choice.

Supermom3
02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
When we were there last week, 23 was being renovated. they were moving countertops in etc. I didn't notice that 26 was also included. It looked to me like it was just 23.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup2

hakepb
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
The fridge was not only old, but was a "left handed" opening fridge in a right hand facing kitchen....VERY inconvenient to say the least.

Seems every one-sided fridge I've seen is actually "convertable" and can have the hinges placed on either side by the installer or a maint person....

Anna114
02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Then you have the choice of staying somewhere else than OKW. Those of us who like the two beds don't have that choice.

I get that. I do, however, like the resort and would like the option AT Old Key West. Lucky me, I have so many choices.

Chuck S
02-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I get that. I do, however, like the resort and would like the option AT Old Key West. Lucky me, I have so many choices.

Just remember, the more booking categories there are at a resort, the lower the overall availability.

For instance, say someone calls and needs a room with 2 beds because they may be an adult child and parent of opposite genders, if 20 % of the studios were converted to bed/sofa, that drops their chances of booking by 20%.

No thanks. I'm a firm believer in the fewer room categories there are, the better.

Deb & Bill
02-04-2011, 08:19 PM
...No thanks. I'm a firm believer in the fewer room categories there are, the better.

You and me, Chuck.

disneydreamingdebby
02-04-2011, 08:28 PM
We checked in last Friday (checked out on Monday). We were originally assigned bldg 18 - I asked if it was renovated and the CM said no. I asked if any reonovated rooms were available. She pulled out a map of renovations and gave me choices of buildings. It said 79% completed. I will have to pull out my notes and type which buildings were not completed. I quickly took notes for my Dis friends.

We ended up in building 39 (Turtle Pond), and overall liked the location.

Lost in Neverland
02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
We are just back from a wonderful week at OKW in a renovated 2BR. Is it just me or are the Roman Shades on the patio door a pain? I hated to open them early in the morning because they were so loud I was afraid I would distrub the people above us. I liked the rest of the changes but there has to be another option that is not so loud or such a pain to open and close.:confused3

dianeschlicht
02-05-2011, 09:07 AM
We are just back from a wonderful week at OKW in a renovated 2BR. Is it just me or are the Roman Shades on the patio door a pain? I hated to open them early in the morning because they were so loud I was afraid I would distrub the people above us. I liked the rest of the changes but there has to be another option that is not so loud or such a pain to open and close.:confused3
LOL, you obviously didn't read the whole thread! Yes, most of us HATE those pulls!

MELSMICE
02-05-2011, 01:30 PM
We also prefer the one bed & sofa bed & would be happy if it was an option at OKW.

Deb & Bill
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
We also prefer the one bed & sofa bed & would be happy if it was an option at OKW.

And the rest of us like two queen beds. So they'd have to do that at all the other resorts. And it would make a booking nightmare.

MELSMICE
02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
And the rest of us like two queen beds. So they'd have to do that at all the other resorts. And it would make a booking nightmare.
I'm sure there are some that prefer 2 beds & some that prefer the bed/couch combo. It's probably not "the rest" of the membership.

When just DH & I are going on a trip we choose not to stay at OKW if possible because we prefer the couch option. When we stay at our home resort (OKW) with our DD's we get a 1BR.

dcamdad
02-05-2011, 02:40 PM

I beleive this has been discussed before. If I remember correctly there would be legal issues if the studios were converted to 1 bed with sleeper couch, I think Chuck or Dean pointed out the POS and how if the change happened it would no longer be represetative of how OKW was sold.

DeerIsleDisney
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
We recently spent 6 days in a renovated 2-BR at OKW (bldg 30) and loved the changes. I found the colors, flooring, etc very pleasant and an improvement over the previous decor. Our 10-yr old daughter was very comfortable on the pull-out chair. The sofa bed was still uncomfortable - we were hoping those would be replaced as well. I think they must have just recovered them. The sofa beds at SSR and VWL are much better.

I thought the roman shades were attractive, but I agree with previous posters that they were noisy and a hassle.

We appreciate the two beds in the studio portion, but that's just what works best for our family. I can see how a sofa and bed would be much nicer for a couple.

dianeschlicht
02-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Well considering all the issues the two types of second bedroom categories that were created at BCV, I'm glad OKW has 2 beds in the second bedroom. My solution to your problem would be to get a 1 bedroom instead of a studio.

dianeschlicht
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
We appreciate the two beds in the studio portion, but that's just what works best for our family. I can see how a sofa and bed would be much nicer for a couple.
But changing that part of OKW now would be a HUGE mistake. People who want that configuration can either book elsewhere or get a 1 bedroom at OKW. The few times we have stayed in a studio at OKW, we have always made good use of the two arm chairs and really didn't feel the second bed was an inconvenience.

dianeschlicht
02-05-2011, 04:04 PM
We seem to be getting off topic. This is not supposed to be a discussion about IF OKW should have 2 beds in the second bedroom or not.

For those of you who have mentioned that you prefer the new decor, are you OKW owners and if so, how long have you owned?

Supermom3
02-05-2011, 04:19 PM
We checked in last Friday (checked out on Monday). We were originally assigned bldg 18 - I asked if it was renovated and the CM said no. I asked if any reonovated rooms were available. She pulled out a map of renovations and gave me choices of buildings. It said 79% completed. I will have to pull out my notes and type which buildings were not completed. I quickly took notes for my Dis friends.

We ended up in building 39 (Turtle Pond), and overall liked the location.

Thanks! Can't wait to see the list.

Lost in Neverland
02-05-2011, 09:39 PM
We seem to be getting off topic. This is not supposed to be a discussion about IF OKW should have 2 beds in the second bedroom or not.

For those of you who have mentioned that you prefer the new decor, are you OKW owners and if so, how long have you owned?

Yes I am an OKW owner but and this is a big but ....we have only owned for 2 years and came in when it was obvious there were repairs desperately needed in some of the villas. I guess that is why it is so easy to fall in love with the new version of the villas. Oh yea and you are right I did not read the entire thread until after I had posted about the shades....Busted LOL.:lmao:

Happy@OKW
02-06-2011, 06:07 AM

I'm one of those folks who likes the new decor (except the table), and a member since 1995. I agree about the shades, but since we were on the canal, and no one was sleeping on the couch, we just kept them open. I also cannot remember the last time I had a dishwasher with 8 wheels on the bottom rack, but doesn't that add to that "home away from home" feeling???:laughing:

And, if I can add my 2 cents re the studio/2nd bedroom: I think the dedicated 2 BR units should have the beds. However, it would be nice if the studios could have the bed/couch combinations. The one time we stayed in a studio we chose to stay at SSR, for that very reason. DH has had 3 back surgeries - needs a comfortable place to sit.

MELSMICE
02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
And, if I can add my 2 cents re the studio/2nd bedroom: I think the dedicated 2 BR units should have the beds. However, it would be nice if the studios could have the bed/couch combinations. The one time we stayed in a studio we chose to stay at SSR, for that very reason. DH has had 3 back surgeries - needs a comfortable place to sit.
I like that idea!

dianeschlicht
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm one of those folks who likes the new decor (except the table), and a member since 1995. I agree about the shades, but since we were on the canal, and no one was sleeping on the couch, we just kept them open. I also cannot remember the last time I had a dishwasher with 8 wheels on the bottom rack, but doesn't that add to that "home away from home" feeling???:laughing:.
You must have been in one of our favorite buildings! Buildings 45 and 46 are our absolute favorites.

As for the wheels on the dishwasher. I have NEVER had a dishwasher at home where the wheels were off, so no, it doesn't remind me of home.

I still don't understand why a major renovation would NOT include appliance replacement.

Deb & Bill
02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I like that idea!

I hate that idea.

SusieBea
02-07-2011, 07:32 AM
FWIW, we just returned yesterday from OKW. We were in a 1 bdrm in bldg 54, and the unit had not been rennovated. I didn't mind - it was one last opportunity to stay in the (mostly) original decor. (I had forgotten how loud the appliances and the toilet were, however!)

dianeschlicht
02-07-2011, 07:35 AM
i hate that idea.
me too!

dianeschlicht
02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
You know, thinking back on it now that I have stayed in two renovated units (both a 1 bedroom and a 3 bedroom GV), I think one of the things I'm most bothered by is the loss of the metal bed frame in the master. I HATE having to retrieve blankets from the floor, and at least that foot board kept things from falling on the floor.

Colors I can get used to (even if I don't like them), and the ugly coffee table is what it is as are the fabrics on the master bedroom chairs and living room sleeper chair.
My list of things that disappoint me most are:
-Loss of the bed frame
-Stupid mechanism on the roman shades
-Not replacing appliances with new ones
-Not at least repairing and repainting cabinets
-Not updating the bathrooms more
-Using that cheap looking vinyl flooring
-Horrible paint job on the coffee table
-Hate the bedspreads looking like Beach club instead of Key West
-Not replacing hardware to make it uniform
-Not refinishing the furniture with finishes that will last (we already had a lot of chips on the painted furniture items in both units)

Things I liked best are:
-The granite countertops in the kitchen
-The roman shades themselves if the mechanism were different
-The new blinds are nice.
-Like the colors on the dining table and new fabric on the chairs
-Like the new drapes in the bedrooms
-Like that they are using energy efficient light bulbs
-Like the new comfy beds
-Most of all I like that they kept the footprint the same.

Chuck S
02-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Diane, I would add a couple of dislikes to your list.

While I like the sleeper chair in the living rooms, the fabric color selection was not the best.

The removal of the internet access plug from the table area (studio) and buffet cabinet (one bedroom) making us plug in behind the nightstand (studio) or corner table in the living room (1 bedroom). For any sort of convenience, now you really do need to bring a wireless router, the location of the outlets for wired service (and to plug in your router) is horrible.

dcamdad
02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
My biggest complaint other than the obvious stray from the original OKW feel and the cheapened feel the villas now have is the thermostat operation and location.

In the 2 BR the thermostats were originally in the hall leading to the MBR near the return air grill as they should be. The renovated location is now in the living room, away from the return and is now influenced whenever the front or patio doors are opened. The thermostats are also now auto changeover for a/c or heat operation and whoever programmed them has the changeover dead band set too close. It appears that it was programmed with a 1 or 2 degree deadband causing the system to heat one minute then cool as soon as the room reaches the heat set point. This may not pose a problem during the summer but during our trip in early December it was a real problem so much so I reprogrammed the deadband to 5 degrees as it is programmed from the factory.

dianeschlicht
02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Diane, I would add a couple of dislikes to your list.

While I like the sleeper chair in the living rooms, the fabric color selection was not the best.

The removal of the internet access plug from the table area (studio) and buffet cabinet (one bedroom) making us plug in behind the nightstand (studio) or corner table in the living room (1 bedroom). For any sort of convenience, now you really do need to bring a wireless router, the location of the outlets for wired service (and to plug in your router) is horrible.

I totally agree with both of those, Chuck. I forgot to mention them, but we had so much trouble with the internet even with the wireless router this trip, that we ended up using our phones as a hot spot instead.

My biggest complaint other than the obvious stray from the original OKW feel and the cheapened feel the villas now have is the thermostat operation and location.

In the 2 BR the thermostats were originally in the hall leading to the MBR near the return air grill as they should be. The renovated location is now in the living room, away from the return and is now influenced whenever the front or patio doors are opened. The thermostats are also now auto changeover for a/c or heat operation and whoever programmed them has the changeover dead band set too close. It appears that it was programmed with a 1 or 2 degree deadband causing the system to heat one minute then cool as soon as the room reaches the heat set point. This may not pose a problem during the summer but during our trip in early December it was a real problem so much so I reprogrammed the deadband to 5 degrees as it is programmed from the factory.
We were frustrated with that same issue, and in the GV, the master bedroom roasted while the living room froze. We finally discovered the reason was that when the heat turned on in the living room, the air conditioning came on upstairs. STUPID!

Chuck S
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh yes, I do not like those new thermostats. In early December we simply turned the system completely off whenever we weren't in the room. In our one bedroom, the living room would be cold, and the master bedroom hot. I wish they had put some drapes in the living room like they use in the bedrooms, it would provide a little more insulation than those slat blinds.

If I was comfortable sleeping in the LR, mom was roasting in the master bedroom. I finally wound up going to Walgreens and buying a heating pad.

dcamdad
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Diane, I forgot about that scenario, I think someone in charge forgot physics 101, hot air rises and cold air falls.

Chuck, someone also forgot HVAC 101, the thermostat should always be as close to the return as possible and never in line with outer openings such as doors or windows.

With the systems cycling as they are now we can all look for the added electricity costs to be passed on to us.

EDIT* I just looked at photos of the studio my daughter was in last week and the thermostat was located next to the door that connects to the 1 BR unit and it appears that a supply air vent is blowing directly on the thermostat.

dianeschlicht
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Diane, I forgot about that scenario, I think someone in charge forgot physics 101, hot air rises and cold air falls.

Chuck, someone also forgot HVAC 101, the thermostat should always be as close to the return as possible and never in line with outer openings such as doors or windows.

With the systems cycling as they are now we can all look for the added electricity costs to be passed on to us.

EDIT* I just looked at photos of the studio my daughter was in last week and the thermostat was located next to the door that connects to the 1 BR unit and it appears that a supply air vent is blowing directly on the thermostat.
Yes, they certainly aren't hiring engineers, and Florida must not have very good housing requirements. Stuff like that would never pass inspection around here.

DVCconvert
02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
....The removal of the internet access plug from the table area (studio) and buffet cabinet (one bedroom) making us plug in behind the nightstand (studio) or corner table in the living room (1 bedroom). For any sort of convenience, now you really do need to bring a wireless router, the location of the outlets for wired service (and to plug in your router) is horrible.

I agree with this 100%

KAT4DISNEY
02-08-2011, 02:23 PM

In the 2 BR the thermostats were originally in the hall leading to the MBR near the return air grill as they should be. The renovated location is now in the living room, away from the return and is now influenced whenever the front or patio doors are opened.

Why would they even bother to move the thermostat? Were there previous complaints about the heating and cooling?

I also think it's strange they would announce a 90% remodel and not change the appliances. They did at BWV during their refurb and that wasn't even considered to be as extensive. And leaving broken cabinets and mismatched hardware? I just don't get it and hope this isn't what the norm will be at all the resorts for their major updates.

I must admit I can't wait to see these blinds - I just can't imagine what it's like that it gets so many comments. We hoped for a refurbed room in Dec (just to see it) but were in bldg 56 which hadn't been done yet.

dianeschlicht
02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I must admit I can't wait to see these blinds - I just can't imagine what it's like that it gets so many comments. We hoped for a refurbed room in Dec (just to see it) but were in bldg 56 which hadn't been done yet.

It isn't the blinds that are the issue. It's the mechanism on the roman shades. The shades are beautiful, but they are such a PITA to open and close, that it seriously hinders the enjoyment of the porch.

Anna114
02-08-2011, 04:25 PM
It isn't the blinds that are the issue. It's the mechanism on the roman shades. The shades are beautiful, but they are such a PITA to open and close, that it seriously hinders the enjoyment of the porch.

Oh amen! They were awful. Luckily we were in a unit that we could leave them open for the length of the trip. You are right, though, they are very pretty.

KAT4DISNEY
02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Yep, I understand it's the mechanism - I just have never run across a blind that had the difficulties that are being talked about so I cannot quite understand it. I wonder if the room designer tried it or just decided it looked good and bought it. It seems like the person might have moved from selecting furniture etc. at BLT to the renovation at OKW. :sad2:

dianeschlicht
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Yep, I understand it's the mechanism - I just have never run across a blind that had the difficulties that are being talked about so I cannot quite understand it. I wonder if the room designer tried it or just decided it looked good and bought it. It seems like the person might have moved from selecting furniture etc. at BLT to the renovation at OKW. :sad2:

Again...not the blinds. You know, I do think the person who designed BLT might have moved on to OKW!!! That cheap vinyl flooring is exactly the same as at BLT, but a different color and more poorly installed.

Deb & Bill
02-08-2011, 07:38 PM
The problem with the roman shades is that they have made them childproof. There have been a lot of recalls on roman shades and miniblinds because of the long cords and being able to get caught up in them. I know the roman shades in my house that I have on my French doors have a single cord instead of a double cord.

So they do the stupid childproof mechanism that even an adult has problems operating. It's five feet off the floor and you can't get the cord around your head.

I liked the wand on the blinds instead of the cords that they have in the living room. The cord isn't long enough to reach when you have the love seat or couch in front of the window. So you either stand on the couch and love seat to reach the cords or you pull them away from the wall so you can open and close them. I hate to live in a tomb and I don't want the neighbors looking into my villa at night. So you open them during the day and close them at night.

dianeschlicht
02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
The problem with the roman shades is that they have made them childproof. There have been a lot of recalls on roman shades and miniblinds because of the long cords and being able to get caught up in them. I know the roman shades in my house that I have on my French doors have a single cord instead of a double cord.

So they do the stupid childproof mechanism that even an adult has problems operating. It's five feet off the floor and you can't get the cord around your head.

I liked the wand on the blinds instead of the cords that they have in the living room. The cord isn't long enough to reach when you have the love seat or couch in front of the window. So you either stand on the couch and love seat to reach the cords or you pull them away from the wall so you can open and close them. I hate to live in a tomb and I don't want the neighbors looking into my villa at night. So you open them during the day and close them at night.
Exactly! I can't figure out why they didn't use the wands again too. They are much safer than the cords anyway. The child proof mechanism IS the problem with the shades on the french doors, and I understand why they needed to make them that way, but maybe the whole Roman shade thing was a bad idea in an application like a French door anyway. That's especially true in a place like this where people are going to need to open and close them a lot.

JandD Mom
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Exactly! I can't figure out why they didn't use the wands again too. They are much safer than the cords anyway. The child proof mechanism IS the problem with the shades on the french doors, and I understand why they needed to make them that way, but maybe the whole Roman shade thing was a bad idea in an application like a French door anyway. That's especially true in a place like this where people are going to need to open and close them a lot.

While I own at BWV and not OKW, I have been following this thread with interest since we'll be staying at OKW for the first time in April. I am also disturbed by the substitution of cheap materials described by Diane (the flooring, the repainting of furniture with crackle finishes etc). That's just contrary to everything DVC originally marketed itself to be.

In addition, I just don't understand why ANYONE would put roman shades on French doors on a hotel/rental property. I just bought some at home and have them in a living room that gets very light use. I'd just HATE to see what these roman shades look like a year or 2 from now. I just can't imagine they will stay in good shape. Unlike blinds, they are not designed to be pulled up and down and manipulated as frequently.

KAT4DISNEY
02-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Now I've got a better idea of it all. :thumbsup2 It really seems like poor choices for door/window coverings at least for function. :confused3 I too hate living in a dark tomb and always like to have shades open as much as possible. One of my complaints about BLT is the lack of sheer curtains and only having the room darkening curtains so if you have them closed there's no light coming in. You're ok if you have a high room on parts of the outer C but people can look into a lot of rooms without sheers.

Yep - I think OKW got the BLT room designer! :rolleyes1

Deb & Bill
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Sheers won't work at OKW because you can still look into the villa at night through the sheers. I do like the roman shades (like I said I have some at home). They just need a better mechanism.

dianeschlicht
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Sheers won't work at OKW because you can still look into the villa at night through the sheers. I do like the roman shades (like I said I have some at home). They just need a better mechanism.

I agree that sheers would not work at OKW, but drapes that could be pushed aside like the ones in the bedrooms would be very appropriate and much easier to use than the roman shades are.

Deb & Bill
02-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree that sheers would not work at OKW, but drapes that could be pushed aside like the ones in the bedrooms would be very appropriate and much easier to use than the roman shades are.

Most definitely.