PDA

View Full Version : Lactose Intolerance and Amazing Disney Chefs

Mjkre
11-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Hello all. We have just returned from our third trip and never before realized how great Disney is in dealing with this dietary need. My daughter is lactose intolerant and everywhere we went, at our resorts (OKW and YC), the parks and other resort restaurants, the chefs and staff were amazing. All had tofutti or rice dream ice cream, kid friendly alterantives to most meals (lactose free hot dogs, burgers, chick nuggets and fingers). Most chefs and staff knew to check for whey which is a big problem for her.

My advice to all is just ask--even at counter service meals. The ice cream store at MK on Main St. has lactose free ice cream, as does the one in Epcot. Dairy free fries and soy chocolate milk found at Yacht Club. Plain chicken and meat was easy to come by when we asked. Only one time did we not inquire, allowed her to have a regular hamburger at Epcot because we were just feeling a little rushed and crowded and, of course, had problems as a result.

I told my husband that Disney managed her diet better than we do at home. It has completly sold us on going to Disney again in the future. To not have to worry about this when on vacation (which we always do because she gets so sick) is amazing.

And thank you to the person on this board who originally told me about the rice dream ice cream availability!

pumba
11-28-2010, 01:39 PM
what a wonderful post for you to do..

Thanks so much for telling us about the chefs and also the resort counter service ......this means alot to people who have issues.

Thanks again

plutosgirl
11-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Mjkre~

I just have to share this with you!!

Glad you had a great trip! Our first trip Disney was so accommodating with my lactose issue! It was wonderful! :lovestruc

About 5 years ago I came across an all natural Lactose pill that I have been taking. Not the lactaid pills but it is called Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense (green box) and you take 2 pills the first day and then just one pill a day (I take them with my vitamins in the am) and I can now eat anything I want anytime I want with no negative effects at all! The best part is it's all natural. You can get it in Walmart, Rite Aid etc and I may have even seen a children's one but I don't remember where.

I work in a restaurant as my 3rd job :upsidedow and the amount of people that have to special order food or that I see taking a Lactaid pill when eating is crazy and for years I tell them about this pill and so many people have come back to tell me how great it worked!!:thumbsup2

You may want to check it out...hopefully it will help you out too!:thumbsup2

Jessica14
11-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for this info! My daughter is especially sensitive to milk and milk products. Its fine in cooked products, but anything made with yougurt, cream, butter,soft cheeses, etc, is and issue. I'm happy to hear that we can get some ice cream at a shop!
Jessica