PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling a Planning Session

donald&daisy
11-27-2010, 08:07 AM
I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I am a planner--I can't help it!

We would like to schedule our planning session for sometime during the week of Nov. 7-11, 2011. It will be within 6 months of our wedding and I get the 11th off because it is Veteran's Day, so that's one less vacation day to use. Anyways, I would like to rent points and stay in a standard view studio at the Boardwalk. I know these rooms are very popular so I would like to book 11 months out which is rapidly approaching. They do planning sessions pretty much everyday Monday through Friday, right? I just want someone to tell me there shouldn't be a problem scheduling our PS for that week, lol.

sambycat
11-27-2010, 08:31 AM
here's the thing - all the planning and contracts etc.. definitely happen within the guidelines, but its hard to say that it would or could happen on X calender date without talking to your planner, who of course you may not even get until some certain date. what i mean is, the PS happens at or after the 6 month, not necessarily like 6 months from the date of the wedding. now, i know some of the timelines have recently extended, but i found that nothing happened by the timeline their dates suggested. we didn't get our contract or LOA at the 8 months, we got it WITHIN 8 months, like that. now, many folks have had some luck due to having trips planned and/or scheduling issues, but my sense was that they have their timeline and its all about whats going on with your planner? so your planner could have 12 weddings already on the books that week or something! it's hard to tell. and because they do have the phone planning sessions (be curious to know what percent of folks do phone v. in park), they didn't really seem to be overly panicked with fitting to our schedule, lets say.

we didin't get on to picking the PS date until after we had all the signed stuff, had gone over the planning kit questionnaire and then it was a freak of nature because it was maybe within 2 months of that time that our planner also only had like 4 options available and then was going on vacation. we were lucky that one date actually worked, but not for that fluke, if we'd wanted to go for the PS, it would have been even later....

i do think they are pretty much m-f, but i don't know that for certain.

that all said, it would never hurt to plan out a visit, you can certainly impress upon whomever, when it gets closer, that you will be there on such and such dates. i'm totally NOT trying to be a downer or anything, but our one frustration is that we would always think something would occour at, say, IN the 8th month before the wedding date. well, they are nothing if not punctual, but nothing happened before withing the 8 month, it was always exactly after the point (like our wedding is january 25th, so really i should have just thought of our date as feb. 1st, becasue everything was 8 months exactly or less, 6 months exactly or less).

so totally make plans (you have to for WDW!), but just temper the excitement with the understanding that the DFTW is kind of a machine (a nice machine) but we kind of adapt to it for the most part, not vice versa! good luck!! :thumbsup2

princesswendy720
11-27-2010, 10:29 AM
I would wait to confirm with your planner. I rented points to stay at the Boardwalk last year, and we didn't book until a few months before. Your trip will be right before 11-11-11...and I'd imagine it's going to be a crazy busy time for DFTW (like 10-10-10 was).

donald&daisy
11-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I would wait to confirm with your planner. I rented points to stay at the Boardwalk last year, and we didn't book until a few months before. Your trip will be right before 11-11-11...and I'd imagine it's going to be a crazy busy time for DFTW (like 10-10-10 was).

That's a good point. I just like to have things in order, why can't Disney run on my schedule?? :rotfl:

sambycat
11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Your trip will be right before 11-11-11...and I'd imagine it's going to be a crazy busy time for DFTW (like 10-10-10 was).

:scared1: i hadn't even thought of that!!!! EXCELLENT point!!

erin.w
11-27-2010, 08:31 PM
We had already booked our trip as we are DVC members (11 months out) and had no issues with scheduling our PS during that trip. We gave them an even smaller window of dates as my mom and sister were arriving towards the end of our trip. I would let them know when you sign your contract that you will be in town a certain date. Joe made sure the planner we got assigned would be available during our planning session trip and for our wedding.