PDA

View Full Version : Does money buy you dining access?

nigel-bigel
11-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I just commented to DH about people who visit the World during peak times and have no idea they need ADRs. He said, well, if thy have enough money it doesn't matter. They can still get in any where they want.

Do you think this is true? I suppose if you are staying on a Concierge Level, the Concierge can find you ADRs someplace where they can squeeze you in. But can they get you where you want to go, when you want to go - even at the last minute?

I'm thinking he's probably right...

Nicole

imLissy
11-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't think so. Maybe if they're rich and famous or have connections or something. Just money won't get you into a restaurant.

TDC Nala
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
No, it does not. Probably only for VIPs who have enough cash to rent out whatever they want or have it arranged through Disney's VIP services.

Tinkh
11-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Nope. We saw Aimee Teegarden who plays Julie Taylor on Friday Night Lights last year at Christmas. We had ADRs and we got in much, much sooner than she did. LOL! Forgot to add that it was add Rose and Crown.

Peter Pirate 2
11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
It depends who and how much money. I'm pretty sure if Bill Gates showed up at WDW on Christmas Eve and wanted to dine at CG he would be accomodated.

Also, I'm sure that a WDW Resort Concierge regular, maybe someone who makes five or six visits a year, would get their concierge's help and if that didn't work I'm quite sure their hotel manager would make it work.

WDWisTheBest
11-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I just commented to DH about people who visit the World during peak times and have no idea they need ADRs. He said, well, if thy have enough money it doesn't matter. They can still get in any where they want.

Do you think this is true? I suppose if you are staying on a Concierge Level, the Concierge can find you ADRs someplace where they can squeeze you in. But can they get you where you want to go, when you want to go - even at the last minute?

I'm thinking he's probably right...

Nicole

I would disagree with your DH. Maybe if you are one of the VIPs that Disney has asked to participate in the CP, but does money talk..........

disnut8
11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
We once "dined with" Steven Tyler at Sci Fi. He, his then wife, his son and another member of Aerosmith (sorry, too lazy to try and find the name of the guy) were seated just in front of us. They waited just like us to be called to their car, there was no special security no nothing.

We did ask our Cast Member waitress if that was really him (I know, how many people look like Steven Tyler but aren't him?) and she said it was and that he, like just about any other celebrity at Disney World, didn't want any special treatment.

Yes, I can see when Princess Diana was there or the Jolie-Pitt crew (I still don't get why they get so much media attention) are there, there might some backdoor thing but come on, you are talking more than just a $50 tip to get a table.

GeorgeG
11-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree that you might get special treatment through the concierge or VIP channels, but WDW is not the kind of place you will get seated by slipping the host or hostess a twenty or more. They would be fired on the spot. No ADR? Most of the time you can still get seated simply by being polite and patient. Many of the people with ADRs book multiple meals and only show up at the one they're closest to. The restaurants give them 15 minutes and then seat on a first come basis.

nicki.momof3
11-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I have to agree with your husband. Just like anywhere in the world $$$ buys perks.

For example, when the TV show Jon and Kate +8 traveled to WDW they had all the perks. Private meetings with princesses and so on.

Yes it was a TV show but they were also HOT at the time and they got perks.

How many of us can have the fab. 5 + some princesses play with our kids in a private grassy area.

$$$ and fame get perks.

vicki_c
11-20-2010, 02:34 PM
I think it's a matter more of WHO you are then how much money you have. Regular "rich" folk - no special access. A celebrity, of course that would be different, but they don't stay at WDW like "regular" people either. So a true VIP type would probably have things available that the rest of us wouldn't.

But staying concierge doesn't get you special ADR access for the most part - they are numerous reports of concierge staff who couldn't get people ADRs when/where they wanted.

TheRustyScupper
11-20-2010, 02:35 PM

1) You can tell him that he is basically wrong.
2) Yes, in some circumstances
. . . you are a true VIP
. . . you are a Disney/ABC major executive
. . . you find a concierge with an override code *
3) Other than that, nada
. . . you cannot have the Club Floor exert more "pull" than lobby concierge
. . . you cannot bribe a podium hostess
. . . you cannot call the restaurant and ask for favors

* Some concierge have an override code that allows them to add people to the ADR, even if the eatery is sold out. The right is seldom used, but if you could view the ressie system for any popular eatery, you would see ADR's in "red". These are manual overrides. Now, concierge with override codes do not advertise the fact, so finding them is tough for non-management types.

BillSears
11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I pretty much agree...

money won't get you much. But MONEY! can get you anything you want. I've seen people get married on the stage in front of Cinderella castle. I'm sure MONEY! was involved but I bet they didn't just slip a CM a $20.

TDC Nala
11-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I have to agree with your husband. Just like anywhere in the world $$$ buys perks.

For example, when the TV show Jon and Kate +8 traveled to WDW they had all the perks. Private meetings with princesses and so on.

How many of us can have the fab. 5 + some princesses play with our kids in a private grassy area.

$$$ and fame get perks.

That's different - only the most VI of VIPs (the hottest and the richest) are going to get that kind of treatment. WDW isn't the kind of place where if you're not a celebrity, you can slip the maitre'd a twenty and they'll find you a table in a full restaurant.

If you want to save up a bazillion dollars, call Disney up and say you want to rent out California Grill for your own private party, they'll probably let you do that....but not many have that kind of cash.

JacksLilWench
11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
I actually worked with a woman one time that was going with her family to WDW around Christmas time and her granddaughter wanted more than anything to eat at CRT. We were talking about it one day, and she said "We couldn't get reservations, so I bet when we get there we're gonna have to pay through the nose to get in!" and I just remember thinking "If they don't have a table for you, it doesn't matter what kind of money you go flashing around; they simply don't have a table. Make ADR's next time!" There are situations where money is going to open doors for you, ie. getting married in front of the Cinderella Castle. But just because you start waving AmEx Black Card doesn't mean they're gonna pull a table out of their behinds.

B-Ride
11-20-2010, 06:53 PM
If they offered me 500$ I would probably let them have my ADR.:rotfl2:

Peter Pirate 2
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
But just because you start waving AmEx Black Card doesn't mean they're gonna pull a table out of their behinds.

Yeah ,they will.

TLSnell1981
11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
But just because you start waving AmEx Black Card doesn't mean they're gonna pull a table out of their behinds.

Yeah ,they will.

Are you sure about that, or will they laugh hysterically in my face?

centurythree
11-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Are you sure about that, or will they laugh hysterically in my face?

I'm confident it will get you this: :confused: this: :lmao: or this: :mad:

If you are the type of person who is likely to generate crowds of people seeking autographs this doesn't apply. They have the option of being ushered through rear entrances of rides, etc., so they can enjoy the parks relatively unmolested. (Some who have that option choose not to exercise it of course, but it is "encouraged.")

Amazingly enough, I'm speaking from experience. Apparently in one cast member's eyes I was identical to a very very very famous child star of the time. On top of that several of the child star's co-stars had been to the parks within the last few weeks. Let's just say the cast member had a very serious chat with me about why I shouldn't just be walking around the park with my family alone and why I needed to go through the special entrances until we finally convinced her I wasn't that kid.

Once she finally believed us she did still offer to let us go in through the other entrance, which was really nice of her (I refused.) It actually made me feel bad for the other kid that they wouldn't be able to just get on rides and walk around with their family.

DisneyMim
11-21-2010, 11:59 AM
We've stayed Concierge, or now what they call Club Level, many times. Yes it is true that years ago they used to get you in any restaurant last minute. The last time we stayed CL at the BC, we had a totally different experience. We had made our own ressies in advance, but there was one place we wanted to eat that we could not get. We had asked the CL staff prior to arriving and they said that nothing was available, to wait till be got there. Well, we asked all week and never got our reservation. I talked to some other people and they said the same thing. It's not a guarantee any more that CL will get you in a restaurant. Again, this was our experience. I'm sure that if some big celebrity was visiting they would get what they wanted, but for little ole me, NO!! LOL!! The dining plan as become so popular that restaurants are filling up faster and earlier. I can remember the good old days when you didn't need any ressies too far in advance. We used to make ours when we arrived at WDW, and sometimes could actually (gasp!!) walk up!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

Eeyore's Pal
11-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah ,they will.

If you are speaking i n the context that you can use that AMEX black card to make any type of advance arrangements, because cost doesn't matter to you...I tend to agree. For instance, getting married in front of the castle used to be a very expensive option from Disney weddings. I think it's been discontinued, but at the time, anyone with enough money could reserve it within the WDW limitations set for that function.

OTOH, if you are talking about walking up to a podium and flashing your card to get a table when the restaurant is full...I don't think that will work at WDW.

We're only talking about money here, not celebrity. That throws a different parameter in the mix.

Peter Pirate 2
11-21-2010, 01:41 PM
If you are speaking i n the context that you can use that AMEX black card to make any type of advance arrangements, because cost doesn't matter to you...I tend to agree. For instance, getting married in front of the castle used to be a very expensive option from Disney weddings. I think it's been discontinued, but at the time, anyone with enough money could reserve it within the WDW limitations set for that function.

OTOH, if you are talking about walking up to a podium and flashing your card to get a table when the restaurant is full...I don't think that will work at WDW.

We're only talking about money here, not celebrity. That throws a different parameter in the mix.

No, I don't think walking up to the podium and waving the card will get you anywhere but wave it in front of the right people at the world, which of course these people would do, and you'll get what you want.

TiggerTrigger
11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
OK- there is a big difference between being a VIP vs. staying at Concierge level. Having read enough trip reports from people who have stayed concierge and chatting with said people- they're no longer able to really pull strings to get you into hard to get dining. On the flip side- if you are an A lister celebrity...they are probably doing a whole lot more than just working them into tough restaurants. i.e. for security, they're probably closing things down for them or working them in private or back entrances. As for non-famous people with lots of $$$ or B-D list celebrities...sure it might buy you some incredible experiences not offered to the general public, but unless it really benefits Disney- I can't see them getting into tough to get in restaurants. In fact, I've chatted with a couple of people who have tried to pay off the LeCellier staff with a VERY GENEROUS tip just to get in and were turned down.

disnut8
11-21-2010, 01:46 PM

$$$ and fame get perks.

But, that was a well-known "celebrity" and Disney did the things they did because of security reasons. Joe Blow and his wife can't walk up and give a tip to a Cast Member to get seating at the next available table. That is what the OP was referring to. "I just commented to DH about people who visit the World during peak times and have no idea they need ADRs. He said, well, if thy have enough money it doesn't matter. They can still get in any where they want. No mention of Kate or Jon or, in my example, Princess Di or the Jolie-Pitts. It's you and me with a wad of cash. No, we, the simple folk, cannot do it.

Heck, I once saw a guy try and tip a Cast Member at the German beer vendor to sell him an extra mug of beer. Turned down immediately. Disney is not Vegas and extra money is not going to get you through the door if you are a common, every day person without an entourage. Get one of those and we'll talk.

bookbabe_disneynut
11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
He said, well, if thy have enough money it doesn't matter. They can still get in any where they want.

Nope...on our trip in early November of 2009, booked about 2 months before, even staying club level at Poly couldn't score us an Ohana dinner reservation... :sad1: And that wasn't a peak holiday period, it was only for a party of 2, and we were willing to eat there any day or time...

WheelCEO
11-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I've walked into restaurants before that were booked.. walked outside, called black card concierge and they got me right in. in most cases restaurants can bend the rules.

EastonCat
11-21-2010, 01:54 PM
It depends who and how much money. I'm pretty sure if Bill Gates showed up at WDW on Christmas Eve and wanted to dine at CG he would be accomodated.

Also, I'm sure that a WDW Resort Concierge regular, maybe someone who makes five or six visits a year, would get their concierge's help and if that didn't work I'm quite sure their hotel manager would make it work.

VIP's like Bill Gates cannot just show up anywhere. Advance planning a vacation for Bill Gates is complex, involves coordinating security, and is way more expensive than waving a flash roll of dough around to get what you want.

I have found that Cast Members are helpful regardless of the affluence of the requestor. If you purchase certain privileges, they are provided for you including VIP access and tours. These services are "custom" but anyone can buy them. They do not involve cramming you into a full restaurant and the last minute. It isn't Vegas, and your Amex Black only impresses places with bottle service or other equally snotty ways to separate you from your $$$.

If anything, Disney's appeal to affluent individuals has been on the steep decrease over the last few years due to free dining and other incentives that make venues inaccessible and decrease the quality of the experience. The venues which are not on the plans are readily available by and large with reasonable planning. Otherwise, I can't really imagine the appeal of spending extra to get into a restaurant where the people next to me aren't paying for their meal. The Bull and the Bear will welcome me with open arms, provide me great service, not rush me out the door, all for the face value of dining there.

Why would I buy my way into a venue that already lets me know that my money is not something they are after?

Peter Pirate 2
11-21-2010, 03:47 PM
VIP's like Bill Gates cannot just show up anywhere. Advance planning a vacation for Bill Gates is complex, involves coordinating security, and is way more expensive than waving a flash roll of dough around to get what you want.

I have found that Cast Members are helpful regardless of the affluence of the requestor. If you purchase certain privileges, they are provided for you including VIP access and tours. These services are "custom" but anyone can buy them. They do not involve cramming you into a full restaurant and the last minute. It isn't Vegas, and your Amex Black only impresses places with bottle service or other equally snotty ways to separate you from your $$$.

If anything, Disney's appeal to affluent individuals has been on the steep decrease over the last few years due to free dining and other incentives that make venues inaccessible and decrease the quality of the experience. The venues which are not on the plans are readily available by and large with reasonable planning. Otherwise, I can't really imagine the appeal of spending extra to get into a restaurant where the people next to me aren't paying for their meal. The Bull and the Bear will welcome me with open arms, provide me great service, not rush me out the door, all for the face value of dining there.

Why would I buy my way into a venue that already lets me know that my money is not something they are after?

Well, I used Gates as an example of a rich guy but not a celebrity, yet we'd all know him ... But if we're going to nit pick then how about Jeff Bezos, he's worth over 12 billion and virtually nobody would know what he looks like or who he is. He and his family show up to vacation at The GF and wants to eat at CG to watch the fire works that night. Think he's not getting in?

CityGirlLost
11-21-2010, 04:26 PM
That's different - only the most VI of VIPs (the hottest and the richest) are going to get that kind of treatment. WDW isn't the kind of place where if you're not a celebrity, you can slip the maitre'd a twenty and they'll find you a table in a full restaurant.

If you want to save up a bazillion dollars, call Disney up and say you want to rent out California Grill for your own private party, they'll probably let you do that....but not many have that kind of cash.

Um, there are two private dining rooms at California Grill that can be rented out. They do wedding receptions there which means you can have any private event there, if you're willing to abide by the rules for their "special venues."

There is a minimum food and beverage minimum you have to meet and it can only be at certain times.

Cheshire Figment
11-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Renting out CG for dinner has a $65,000++ F&B minimum. And it has to be done many months in advance so they can get reservations for those which are being canceled.

ElizabethB
11-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Disney has a VIP private tour available for anyone willing to pay the price (about $300 per hour, 6 hour minimum). It's my understand that, if you book that VIP tour, you will be able to dine whereever you like, whether you have ADRs or not. You also go to the front of every line of every ride that has a fast pass option.

So yes, money will get you into a restaurant which would otherwise turn you away.
And, yes, for a price Disney is selling fast passes.

TheRustyScupper
11-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Let's discuss VIP Status.

1) Disney recognizes three levels of VIP's. *
. . . Level-I
. . . Level-II
. . . Level-III
2) Each has its perks and recognition degrees, for instance
. . . at check-in, the hotel Gen'l Mgr MUST greet a Level-I guest
. . . at check-in, any lowly manager must greet a Level-II guest
. . . at check-in, a Level-III gets the gold key card, colorful but not special
3) Along with these, the ability for ADR's in increased
. . . Level-I can easily get a Concierge Override
. . . Level-II have a good chance, but not mandatory
. . . Level-III do not get any special treatment
. . . this goes even if the eatery is fully sold out

* We will not go into what qualifies people for each level, as that is somewhat confidential. But, it is easier than most people think to ask and get to Level-II VIP status. And, darn near anyone can be granted Level-III status.

tndisneyfan
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Amazingly enough, I'm speaking from experience. Apparently in one cast member's eyes I was identical to a very very very famous child star of the time. On top of that several of the child star's co-stars had been to the parks within the last few weeks. Let's just say the cast member had a very serious chat with me about why I shouldn't just be walking around the park with my family alone and why I needed to go through the special entrances until we finally convinced her I wasn't that kid.

Once she finally believed us she did still offer to let us go in through the other entrance, which was really nice of her (I refused.) It actually made me feel bad for the other kid that they wouldn't be able to just get on rides and walk around with their family.

OK, fill us in. Who did they think you were?:confused3

sjs314
11-22-2010, 09:09 AM
1) You can tell him that he is basically wrong.
2) Yes, in some circumstances
. . . you are a true VIP
. . . you are a Disney/ABC major executive
. . . you find a concierge with an override code *3) Other than that, nada
. . . you cannot have the Club Floor exert more "pull" than lobby concierge
. . . you cannot bribe a podium hostess
. . . you cannot call the restaurant and ask for favors

* Some concierge have an override code that allows them to add people to the ADR, even if the eatery is sold out. The right is seldom used, but if you could view the ressie system for any popular eatery, you would see ADR's in "red". These are manual overrides. Now, concierge with override codes do not advertise the fact, so finding them is tough for non-management types.

Thank You for posting this, some time back I had made reference to this "code" on a thread and some jumped me saying I was wrong, but I knew the year we had been upgraded to concierge level at YC the concierge had specifically mentioned to me that he could accommadate us with any reservation we wanted. I knew I wasn't crazy :laughing:

We've stayed Concierge, or now what they call Club Level, many times. Yes it is true that years ago they used to get you in any restaurant last minute. The last time we stayed CL at the BC, we had a totally different experience. We had made our own ressies in advance, but there was one place we wanted to eat that we could not get. We had asked the CL staff prior to arriving and they said that nothing was available, to wait till be got there. Well, we asked all week and never got our reservation. I talked to some other people and they said the same thing. It's not a guarantee any more that CL will get you in a restaurant. Again, this was our experience. I'm sure that if some big celebrity was visiting they would get what they wanted, but for little ole me, NO!! LOL!! The dining plan as become so popular that restaurants are filling up faster and earlier. I can remember the good old days when you didn't need any ressies too far in advance. We used to make ours when we arrived at WDW, and sometimes could actually (gasp!!) walk up!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

For what people pay for club level it would be nice if one of the perks was to be able to get a ressie where there was none available but I think other than the fact that the concierge makes your ADR's saving you the time and frustration of doing so is about it these days.

I also agree about how easy it was years ago before the dining plan to secure a ressie the day of or walk in even at the more popular places.
Years past the only ADR we made were for CRT and HDDR, Ahloha. It sure was nice being able to decide on the spot what you felt like eating.

JimmyV
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
When AmEx was the official card of WDW, calling the Black Card Travel Services number could pretty much get you anything you wanted. But you had to go through the Travel Services folks. If you just started waving around the card at the Parks, most CMs wouldn't have a clue about what makes that card special. Since Amex is no longer the official card of WDW, I don't know how much has changed. But back in the day, if you called and planned through them, they could arrange to make sure that you were picked to be the volunteers at various audience participation events like leading parades, flag ceremonies, Indiana Jones, Back Stage Tour (where people man the battle stations at the special effects tanks) and the like. And they could pretty much get you into any restaurant. It's not that hard. Since ADRs are not reservations for a set time, adding one more table of 4 simply means telling the guests who arrive at 7:20 for a 7:30 ADR that "it will be 20-30 minutes for a table' instead of telling them that "it will be 5 to 10 minutes for a table." Restaurants are pretty good at being able to juggle an extra table. And we're only talking about an accomodation that needs to be made very rarely. It's not like VIPs are showing up every hour of every day.

Rusty is right. At the highest levels, certain CMs can access the ADR system and insert anything they want. Maybe that means that someone with free dining is going to have to wait longer than they want to for dinner, but the money being made from the VIP in the Presidential Suite is worth it.

disneyag
11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I know that Club Level doesn't always get you a ressie at a booked restaurant. In June, 2009, we stayed AKL CL. We had neglected to make an ADR for Boma. When we got to AKL, we asked the CM in the CL lounge to get us a ressie for any of the 5 nights we were there---no luck at all.

nicki.momof3
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
I love everyones polly anna view of America (and I deeply wish it was try) but some realism has to be accepted. Almost everywhere in the world $$$$ speaks.

With the right amount of $$$ you are going to get personalized attention from managment and therefore added perks.

I deeply love WDW but I also realize that I am an average guest and I get average treatment (great as it is). People with $$ or VIP status get perks as others have posted (reference the level system above).

I highly doubt that a very rich guest staying in a top priced suite would be told "sorry CRT is sold out all week - no meal with a princess for your princess". I believe club level will not get it - there are a ton of those guests but true VIP guests - they get it.

DonaldTDuck
11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I love everyones polly anna view of America (and I deeply wish it was try) but some realism has to be accepted. Almost everywhere in the world $$$$ speaks.

With the right amount of $$$ you are going to get personalized attention from managment and therefore added perks.

I deeply love WDW but I also realize that I am an average guest and I get average treatment (great as it is). People with $$ or VIP status get perks as others have posted (reference the level system above).

I highly doubt that a very rich guest staying in a top priced suite would be told "sorry CRT is sold out all week - no meal with a princess for your princess". I believe club level will not get it - there are a ton of those guests but true VIP guests - they get it.
You're talking apples and oranges. Money will not get you in, status might. If a cm that is not authorized to receive tips, specifically a host or hostess, accepts one and gives a table to someone without an ADR, they could, and likely would, be fired. There are cameras everywhere at WDW, and someone would likely see.

DannysMom
11-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I haven't read through all the responses but no I don't think money buys access. VIP's that get special handling through Disney's VIP service would be a different story.

If money is no object, they can score plenty of last minute ressies at signature restaraunts. But anyone can ask at the concierge desk at their resort what last minute ressies are available all over WDW for free, no money involved. :)

ntsammy5
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm a VIP - Very Intoxicated Person! :lmao:

3Minnies1Mickey
11-24-2010, 01:42 PM

$$$ and fame get perks.

I believe their trip was paid for by Disney, just like the ski resort paid for them to come out in another episode.

I think VIP status and fame can get you perks. But handing concierge a $100 bill probably won't get you a last minute table at CRT.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
11-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Do you think this is true? I suppose if you are staying on a Concierge Level, the Concierge can find you ADRs someplace where they can squeeze you in. But can they get you where you want to go, when you want to go - even at the last minute?The Club Level Cast Members could only get Club Level guests last minute ADR's at restaurants located at the resort they are staying at. So for any restaurants located in the 4Theme Parks, Downtown Disney and the other WDW Resorts, those guests would be in the same situation as all the other guests when it comes to getting last minute ADR's.

Peter Pirate 2
11-24-2010, 04:42 PM
We're discussing two situations here.

I agree that tipping a waiter or using a concierge isn't going to get anyone very far. I don't think anyone has suggested this exactly but lots of folks have used this example as an argument against the idea that the rich can get better treatment at WDW.

I believe, however, that the very rich are very well known by Disney and will have access to CM's who do not help the average concierge guest and who can "authorize" virtually anything they want.

pearlieq
11-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Back before we knew better and thought WDW concierge functioned like the rest of the world, we once asked at WL about a few reservations. We got a quick check of the reservation system and a blank stare.

12th floor at CR was the same experience, though I wasn't expecting anything more than bagels and snacks there. It's not real concierge, even in the diminished state concierge exists at WDW.

We did have a different story at RPC. We wanted to eat at a popular restaurant that night. System said there was nothing available. Concierge made a phone call, we got a table. No money changed hands or anything, but they were definitely willing to work through channels to get us what we wanted.

TheRustyScupper
11-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Back before we knew better and thought WDW concierge functioned like the rest of the world, we once asked at WL about a few reservations.

1) That is why concierge floor is not called "Club Floor".
2) WDW was roundly criticized for advertising a concierge floor.
3) Especially since WDW does not offer any true concierge services.
. . . no car rentals
. . . no out off-site restaurant ressies
. . . no theater tickets
. . . no limo arrangements
. . . no airline ressies
. . . no special services
. . . no searching for local arrangements
. . . no special favors for guests

NOTE: Some of us have gone out of our way for non-Disney services or ressies, and make sure we do not get caught, as it is a serious offense.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
. . . no special favors for guestsTo be fair each time we have stayed Club Level we always request items like a Half a Grapefruit for my Mom when she has breakfast, because it's one thing not available in the lounges during that time. Plus this past August when we stayed Club Level at the Boardwalk Inn she asked for some Sprite Zero since they don't have it available in their lounge and one of their Cast Members got her 6 bottles of it. So what you said about them not doing special favours is not accurate.

Bell30012
11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
We were in EPCOT once and President Bush was there... Probably in the fall of 1991. Think he qualified for Level I?

Elmo888
11-24-2010, 09:35 PM

$$$ and fame get perks.

That wasn't "special perks". That was "free advertising" for Disney! I would imagine that TLC and Disney arranged everything, and Disney has free advertising whenever that episode airs.

That show was on years ago, and we are still talking about it. And I hear about it every time it airs from the weekly Disney TV updates.

Peter Pirate 2
11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
That wasn't "special perks". That was "free advertising" for Disney! I would imagine that TLC and Disney arranged everything, and Disney has free advertising whenever that episode airs.

That show was on years ago, and we are still talking about it. And I hear about it every time it airs from the weekly Disney TV updates.

I have no idea what you're talking about.:confused3

TheRustyScupper
11-25-2010, 02:59 AM
. . . Sprite Zero . . . one of their Cast Members got her 6 bottles of it. So what you said about them not doing special favours is not accurate.

1) This was good, but not truly a special concierge favor.
2) It is nice, but really only a minor task
3) Concierge Floors elsewhere are used to unusual/difficult favors.
4) Businessmen have unique requirements, and Concierge need to cater.
. . . office supplies
. . . personal grooming supplies
. . . business machines or computers
. . . steno or secretarial services
. . . special bedding or pillows
. . . snacks or beverages 24-hrs
. . . tables of snacks/beverages set for meetings or gatherings
. . . staff that keeps the areas quiet, when requested
. . . staff who bring snacks to the table or refresh drinks
. . . errands that need to be run
. . . etc

NOTE1: Concierge on the Club Floors do try to help when possible, but try to get the above on a WDW Club Floor. Having worked WDW Club Floors, we would get a stern talk if we tried to supply such service(s).

NOTE2: Now, I am not trying to say that WDW Club Floors are bad, as they are quite nice at WDW and the CM-staff usually tries to be friendly, courteous, and helpful, and the snacks are usually quite tasty. It is just that the services offered do not compare to the Concierge Floor Service at any of the Orlando (or other place) hotels. As an example, if you stay Concierge Floor at the Orlando Ritz - for less than the GF Club Floor - you get a FREE Mercedes Benz to drive during your stay.

larryz
11-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Many of the people with ADRs book multiple meals and only show up at the one they're closest to.

I HATE those people! ;)

ntsammy5
11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
3) Concierge Floors elsewhere are used to unusual/difficult favors.
.[/I]

Once at the Beverly Hills Willshire the concierge arranged for a Rolls Royce on 2 hours notice. It was for business, but they came through with flyiong colors. Disney club level is a joke compared to this.

MScott1851
11-26-2010, 02:45 AM
I don't know if it necessarily helps to have money... A girl I grew up with is married to a major league baseball player (who is one of the better known names on his team, and he has a multi-million dollar contract). They have been to WDW a couple of times with their children, stayed club level in the $$$$ suites at one of the Epcot resorts, had the VIP tour service that gets you to the front of the line, etc.

They decided in early October that they wanted to take the whole extended family to WDW the second week of December, which would have required six rooms, for which they were willing to pay full price. There weren't six rooms available together at any resort for them, even with his level of fame and income, due to the wildly popular free dining/25-40% off offer/Pop Warner crowds. They are going in January instead. So the name recognition and ability to pay full price and purchase a platinum plan or whatever the mack-daddy all inclusive plan is called didn't get him anywhere!

Withacy
11-26-2010, 08:03 AM
But anyone can ask at the concierge desk at their resort what last minute ressies are available all over WDW for free, no money involved. :)

Actually, it goes beyond even that.

About a year & a half ago, my friend and I were waiting to be called for our ADR at 1900 Park Fare at the GF - we were staying at the CBR. While we were waiting, I saw one of the lobby concierges unoccupied, so I went up with a question. I told her straight out I wasn't staying there (but at the CBR), but that I just had a question - and she ended up helping us get ressies anyway.

No $$$$$ required, thank God - since I was definitely on a $$ budget. :lmao:

Though I did end up doing her a small favor - but it definitely wasn't quid pro quo.

sjs314
11-26-2010, 09:02 AM
1) That is why concierge floor is not called "Club Floor".
2) WDW was roundly criticized for advertising a concierge floor.
3) Especially since WDW does not offer any true concierge services.
. . . no car rentals
. . . no out off-site restaurant ressies
. . . no theater tickets
. . . no limo arrangements
. . . no airline ressies
. . . no special services
. . . no searching for local arrangements
. . . no special favors for guests

NOTE: Some of us have gone out of our way for non-Disney services or ressies, and make sure we do not get caught, as it is a serious offense.

I always wondered why Disney no longer used the term concierge room like they did the year we were upgraded at the YC and now used Club Level instead, but I do see where it could be very misleading and they would be critisized like you said if a guest booked such a room and then found out it did not include what they expected.