PDA

View Full Version : London / Paris Here We Come!!! 9/2 - 9/10/11

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DisneyKevin
11-20-2010, 09:37 AM
The Dis is invading Europe!!!!

After much plotting, planning and help from ABD, we are headed to London, Paris and Disneyland Paris.

If you are interested in joining us in our "invasion", please drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com.

Adventurers List
Frank - skunkvette
Cathy - Franks's wife
Jim - jmccormick
Linda - jmccormick's wife
Jason - JWren1234
Karen - apurplebrat
Kaye - Mom of apurplebrat
Christy N. - Chropistopy
Micki - tardis1029
John - Micki's hubby
Mike - k5jmh
Christy H -MinnieGarden
Cynthia - Belle41379
Michael - Cynthia's Hubby
Tobi - SayHello
Heather - Circusgirl
Laurie - Sarabi's Cubs
Brian - Mr. Sarabi's Cubs
Matt - mattincanberra
Mike - Mr.
De Anna - Mrs.
BriarRosie - Lori
Denise - Mrs.
James - Mr
Pete - WebmasterPete
Walter - AkaScar
John - WebmasterJohn
Kevin - DisneyKevin

Highlights of the London/Paris Trip include:

- A double decker bus tour around London
- A visit to Westminster Abbey
- A visit to Buckingham Palace to view the changing of the guard
- See the London production of “The Lion King”
- Tour the tower of London
- First class accommodations on the Eurostar train to Paris
- A visit to the Notre Dame Cathedral
- A day at the Sun King Chateau including a private tour of the Palace of Versailles
- Guided tour of the Louvre
- Lunch at the Eiffel Tower
This portion of the trip includes 6 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 3 dinners.

Highlights of the DLP
- Transfer to the Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris
- Lunch with a Disney Imagineer
- View the Stunt Show at DLP and a Q&A session with the stage manager
- VIP fast passes for everyone
- Photo and Breakfast with the Characters
- VIP Tour of DLP
- Lunch at Walt’s
- An exclusive cocktail reception at Sleeping Beauty castle
- Dinner at Cinderella Restaurant with the characters

This portion of the trip includes 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 1 dinner.

The cost is $6069 per adult and $5674 per child, based on double occupancy.

The cost for a single traveler is $8499.00.

Travel insurance is $199.00 per person.

This pricing does not include airfare.

This Adventure is 9 days / 8 nights....9/2 - 9/10/2011.

skunkvette
11-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Please add Frank and Cathy!!!

So excited to go on this adventure.

Watch out Europe, here we come.

Can we get a "stay out of the damn channel" at some point during the adventure?

Thanks to the Dreams team and especially Kevin for making this possible.

WebmasterJohn
11-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I am really looking forward to this trip!!!

Not looking forward to Kevin saying "I'm going to Paris!!!" multuple times a day for the next 10+ months :lmao:

k5jmh
11-20-2010, 11:01 AM
WooHoo!!!

I am sure Kevin is going to enjoy Paris!

DisneyKevin
11-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Have I told you...

"I'm going to Paris."

JWren1234
11-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone!

Please add my name to the list. I can't wait for this trip...it will be my first time out of the country. I'm going to start brushing up on my French.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next September!

Jason:goodvibes

tmli
11-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Chris and I really wish we could join you all -- especially as we see the list of participants!!

It won't work for us for a number of reasons but we wish you all a wonderful time!!

skunkvette
11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone!

Please add my name to the list. I can't wait for this trip...it will be my first time out of the country. I'm going to start brushing up on my French.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next September!

Great to hear your on board Jason, looking forward to seeing you again.

Chris and I really wish we could join you all -- especially as we see the list of participants!!

It won't work for us for a number of reasons but we wish you all a wonderful time!!

Sorry to hear Tracey, we will miss both of you, and the ride on Le Haunted Mansion (whatever) will not be the same without a running commentary from Chris!

Becx N Gav
11-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Not looking forward to Kevin saying "I'm going to Paris!!!" multuple times a day for the next 10+ months :lmao:

Paris Baby :goodvibes

Becx N Gav
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Great to hear your on board Jason, looking forward to seeing you again.

Sorry to hear Tracey, we will miss both of you, and the ride on Le Haunted Mansion (whatever) will not be the same without a running commentary from Chris!

:laughing: It's the Phantom Manor ;)

Dsmurf16
11-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Do you guys know what the single supplement would be I am thinking of going but I need that info to make a decision.

sayhello
11-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Count me in! OoLaLa! Pahree!! :cool1:

Do you guys know what the single supplement would be I am thinking of going but I need that info to make a decision.The total with the single supplement is $8499.

Sayhello

*NikkiBell*
11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Have I told you...

"I'm going to Paris."

No, not at all. Now where are you going? :laughing:

sayhello
11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
No, not at all. Now where are you going? :laughing:Is Kevin going somewhere??? :rotfl:

Sayhello

apurplebrat
11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
We are so excited for this trip!:cool1:

JWren1234
11-20-2010, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=skunkvette;39012649]Great to hear your on board Jason, looking forward to seeing you again.

Hi Frank and Cathy! I'm looking forward to seeing the both of you on this trip!

Jason

JWren1234
11-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Hi Tracey, I will miss you and Chris as well.

Jason

Chropistopy
11-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Kevin - You can add me to the list. :banana:

I'm going to London / Paris! WOOHOO!!

Chropistopy
11-20-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NefCW88Uszk

It's London baby!!!

Dsmurf16
11-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Wow 8499 is to much for me!!!! If I could get a room mate I could go anyone else looking for a room mate?

DisneyKevin
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
We have some folks signed up, but not on the list.

I dont put anyone on the list unless given permission first.

If you'd like to be on the list, just send an email or PM and I'll add you.

Sorry to say that if you havent signed up or paid your deposit, adding you to the list will not get you to London and Paris.

Who else wants to go?

MinnieGarden
11-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Mike, Ian, and I went to have Chinese for Mike's birthday tonight. I got the BEST fortune...... "You will step on the soil of many countries."

So....... Us! We want to go!!!!!:hyper:

k5jmh
11-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Mike, Ian, and I went to have Chinese for Mike's birthday tonight. I got the BEST fortune...... "You will step on the soil of many countries."

So....... Us! We want to go!!!!!:hyper:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs958.snc4/75160_1474109768856_1117025522_31067638_7649885_n. jpg

I see London, I see France, I saw Christy's underpants!!!

WooHoo!! Were are so in!! :thumbsup2

OKW Lover
11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, we want to go. Unfortunately(?), I'll probably be retired and living on a fixed income by then so it looks like Val & I will miss this great trip. :sad:

jharrowell
11-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time!

Are you going to have any free days while in London or is it all scheduled?

If you have a free day or two maybe I can whizz on over and say Hi as you're in my stomping grounds. :)

DisneyKevin
11-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Is it too early to start a count down?;)

284 days until the first day of our European Adventure

DisneyKevin
11-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Not that I'm counting.

Ok....I'm counting. :banana:

k5jmh
11-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Is it too early to start a count down?;)

534 days until the first day of our European Adventure

Um, Kevin, um, our adventure starts in 284 Days. I think you are going to have to pack quicker! :rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
11-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Um, Kevin, um, our adventure starts in 284 Days. I think you are going to have to pack quicker! :rotfl2:

Slander and innuendo are my strong points....math, not so much.:lmao:

sayhello
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I think we need a cute nickname or slogan for this trip. Will there be badges for our signatures??? :goodvibes

Sayhello

belle41379
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I can't wait!! What an amazing trip it is sure to be! :)

sayhello
11-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey, I just thought I'd let folks know I've been doing some research, and it looks like the Travel Insurance offered by ABD (from Access America) could be a really good value for this particular trip. Of course, everyone should look at it considering their own family, etc. I normally use ***************** to compare insurance & usually buy it through them. But ABD has improved their coverage, and I'm likely buying it from them through DU.

It's a fixed price (I'm assuming per person) of $199. I looked at several "comparable" plans as far as coverage goes, and found that *just for the ABD*, other companies were charging $300 to $440 per traveler. I didn't play around with the figures for multiple people, because I'm traveling as a solo, so you'll need to take child discounts into consideration. The value is even better if you include the cost of the single supplement like I have as a solo traveler.

Beyond the great price, this policy now allows for purchasing a pre-existing condition waiver if you pay for the policy in full within 14 days of your initial deposit. The time period is pretty standard for policies that do pre-existing condition waivers. ABD's policy didn't use to provide that, which is why I never purchased the coverage from them before.

The kicker that I found out today, is that the policy also covers your airfare, even if you don't purchase it from ABD! It needs to be Home to London and Paris to Home, but can arrive or leave a few days before or after the trip. Hotel for that extra period is not included in the coverage, however, unless you purchase that through ABD. If you buy the pre-days from ABD, they are included in the coverage at no additional cost.

With all that, the level of coverage for $199 is really great for me. I suggest others look into it, also, and see if it's right for you.

If any of you need convincing that trip insurance itself is a good idea, check out my Trip Report for my Alaska ABD. I tripped & fell as I was preparing to leave the B&B I was staying at in Anchorage. I gashed my head & ended up in the Emergency Room. I missed my flight. I required staples in my scalp and a CAT scan. The insurance company dealt directly with the ER, and I never even saw a bill. The Customer Assistance folks got the Airlines on the phone and re-booked my missed flight for the next day (and the insurance reimbursed me for the re-booking fee and the difference in airfare, and the extra night's hotel room that they arranged). All I had to do was get myself patched up, rested up, and on that plane the next day. TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY worth it!

Again, most of this research was done based on my own situation, so I urge folks to do their own research. But I just thought I'd share what I found out.

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
So far we have a Mike and a Michael, two Christys and two Johns.

Just a Sunday night observation.

Nothing earth shattering.

Move along.

:lmao:

Silly mood.

k5jmh
11-22-2010, 06:27 AM

John, I feel your pain! Every time I ask a question to Christy, she answers me back in her "outrageous accent." And she calls me a silly English Pig Dog.

http://www.brainofshawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/french.jpg

belle41379
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
So, this weekend we watched two movies-HP and A Christmas Carol. Michael kept saying over and over "we're going there". "I can't wait to go there.". Etc. I think he is a bit excited! :)

Kevin, when will we have our first chat? I'm looking forward to getting to know our "We're going to PARIS" travel "mates". ((insert dancing bananna here))

Chropistopy
11-22-2010, 07:58 AM
So far we have a Mike and a Michael, two Christys and two Johns.

Just a Sunday night observation.

Nothing earth shattering.

Move along.

:lmao:

Silly mood.

I noticed that as well Kevin! I was thinking it could get confusing but I'm used to it...I think there were about 10 years there that every other girl was named Christy or something that could be shortened to Christy...the more the merrier though...we're a good lot (said with a british accent of course)

Chropistopy
11-22-2010, 08:05 AM
So, this weekend we watched two movies-HP and A Christmas Carol. Michael kept saying over and over "we're going there". "I can't wait to go there.". Etc. I think he is a bit excited! :)

Kevin, when will we have our first chat? I'm looking forward to getting to know our "We're going to PARIS" travel "mates". ((insert dancing bananna here))

I've already started the marathon watching of every BBC mini-series that I own. I went through a phase where I was watching pretty much any British TV series or mini-series I could get my hands on. If I continue to watch at the rate I am going, then I will know each movie/show by heart come September.

I watched Young Victoria the other night. It is funny the things you pick up on when you know you'll be going to a place. They mention in the movie that Victoria was the first monarch to live in Buckingham Palace...and in my head I added "and I'm going to get to see it"

DisneyKevin
11-22-2010, 08:45 AM

We're doing the same thing at our house.

I can tell you that it's even worse when you come home. Every time we saw anything about Italy on television, John and I would look at each and say "we've been there."

It will be a while. We have a Podcast Cruise and three Backstage Magic trips full of people that are excited about getting to know each other, but for now....we have this thread.;)

k5jmh
11-22-2010, 08:49 AM

I've already started the marathon watching of every BBC mini-series that I own. I went through a phase where I was watching pretty much any British TV series or mini-series I could get my hands on. If I continue to watch at the rate I am going, then I will know each movie/show by heart come September.

I watched Young Victoria the other night. It is funny the things you pick up on when you know you'll be going to a place. They mention in the movie that Victoria was the first monarch to live in Buckingham Palace...and in my head I added "and I'm going to get to see it"

We have been looking around on Google Earth and Bing's "Bird's Eye" view. Very cool Stuff!!!

My Christy is looking for some vineyards to go visit after the adventure.

DLP (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=s4bpkth6yqj2&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b)

The French side of the "Tube" (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sgkxq1h4g38k&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b)

British side of the "Tube" (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=shgzmdh2wf9n&lvl=16&dir=0&sty=b)

The London Eye (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skhbmkgzq312&lvl=18.31986808877524&dir=91.04415057743148&sty=b)

Parliament and Westminster Abby (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=skgzg7gzphwy&lvl=18.17747683593702&dir=267.8683362527537&sty=b)

We are very excited!!! :woohoo:

DisneyKevin
11-22-2010, 08:51 AM

We watch the Graham Norton show on BBC (LOVE IT) and just recently Ricky Gervais and his writing partner were on. The man is 6'7" and they asked him to do a cart wheel.

The comment was "he's going to look like the London Eye (the huge ferris wheel type thing)."

I completely stopped thinking about the joke and started thinking "oh...we're going to see that. I'm a bit terrified of heights. Will I go on that? The view must be amazing. I wonder if the pods are air conditioned? How many people fit in one pod?"

I imagine it will get worse as the time gets closer.

Yvet
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Have I told you...

"I'm going to Paris."

Hmmm i don't get it...
Where are you going to Kevin?????

skunkvette
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM

It's bad already.

On Saturday night, Cathy and I were getting excited about the scenes in Ratatoille - and that's animated!

sayhello
11-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I've got the new BBC "Sherlock" series recorded to watch. London! Sherlock Holmes! I think I'm going to have to rent "Dr. Who". This could get really bad! If I start talking with a British accent at work, they may have me committed! ;)

It will probably color my re-watching of HP 7.1, too!

:yay: PARIS!!! :cool1: LONDON!!! :banana: DISNEYLAND PARIS!!! :dance3:

:cheer2:

Sayhello

MenashaCorp
11-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Having just returned from a London honeymoon, I'd suggest those of you with iPhones (possibly others too, I don't know) get the free app "TubeMap" if you plan on using the London Underground. I pull it up once in a while just to check out, say, how the Bakerloo Line is running. Very handy. *Wistful sigh* I miss the UK. Prices? Not so much. ;)

Circusgirl
11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Hooray for us! Add me to the list, please!

I am deliriously excited and happy about making this trip with all of you.

k5jmh
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Having just returned from a London honeymoon, I'd suggest those of you with iPhones (possibly others too, I don't know) get the free app "TubeMap" if you plan on using the London Underground. I pull it up once in a while just to check out, say, how the Bakerloo Line is running. Very handy. *Wistful sigh* I miss the UK. Prices? Not so much. ;)

Apple Products:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tube-map/id320969612?mt=8

Blackberry

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3105

Android

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=125x125&chld=Q|0&chl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidzoom.com%2Fweb%2Findic e%2FqrLink%3FappCode%3Dibnj%26dwnId%3D7004946

Chropistopy
11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I've got the new BBC "Sherlock" series recorded to watch. London! Sherlock Holmes! I think I'm going to have to rent "Dr. Who". This could get really bad! If I start talking with a British accent at work, they may have me committed! ;)

Sayhello

You'll have to let us know how "Sherlock" is...it is on my list of shows to watch but have not gotten around to. I'm a huge Dr. Who fan. I've only watched the most recent Doctors though. I love me some David Tennant :love: I may have to go back and watch the earlier ones.

MinnieVanMom
11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't know if this will help your crew or not but Jimmy Buffett plays Paris each September. We went this past September and it was amazing. 1500 people instead of 35 thousand.

We toured Europe and did go to DLP but ended up leaving and going back to Paris.

Enjoy the adventure.

corky441
11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
The Dis is invading Europe!!!!

After much plotting, planning and help from ABD, we are headed to London, Paris and Disneyland Paris.

If you are interested in joining us in our "invasion", please drop me an email at Kevin@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com.

Adventurers List
Frank - skunkvette
Cathy
Jim
Linda
Jason - JWren1234Karen - apurplebrat
Christy N. - Chropistopy
Micki - tardis1029
John - Micki's hubbyMike - k5jmh
Christy H -MinnieGarden
Cynthia - Belle41379
Michael - Cynthia's Hubby
Tobi - SayHello
Pete - WebmasterPete
Walter - AkaScar
John - WebmasterJohn
Kevin - DisneyKevin

Circusgirl;[/B]39029256]Hooray for us! Add me to the list, please!

I am so excited and happy about making this trip with all of you.

Ok - - - I'm so happy for all of my Podcast ABD 1.0 California buddies. I know all of you are going to have a great time. :grouphug:

Since we're not on the list, you can surmise that Dino and I won't be joining you ( this time anyway ). :sad1:

But - Dino and I will be taking the ABD Viva Italia trip September 22, 2011 :love:

So......... if any of you want to hang around Europe a "wee" bit longer, we'd love to have you come down to Italy and join us later in the month & for those of you that can't make the London/Paris trip -
Check with Kevin to see if you can book the Italy trip - I would love to know that there are some DISers on the trip :goodvibes

Ciao

Chropistopy
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Has anyone made decisions around arriving early? I'd like to at least arrive on the 1st to give myself time to adjust. I've been researching flights and am having the hardest time finding a flight that will get me to London on the 1st without having to leave on August 30th and layover somewhere for upwards of 18 or 19 hours. Anyone else researching flights? The prices for the flights have went up by ~$500 since I first started researching them when this trip was first spoken of on the podcast. :scared1:

sayhello
11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Has anyone made decisions around arriving early? I'd like to at least arrive on the 1st to give myself time to adjust. I've been researching flights and am having the hardest time finding a flight that will get me to London on the 1st without having to leave on August 30th and layover somewhere for upwards of 18 or 19 hours. Anyone else researching flights? The prices for the flights have went up by ~$500 since I first started researching them when this trip was first spoken of on the podcast. :scared1:I haven't started looking in earnest yet. But I'm actually planning on coming in several days early (like leaving here on the 27th). I was an exchange student in Winchester, England a LOOOOOOOONG time ago, and actually have never been back! So I plan to see some places like Winchester & Oxford, and hopefully meet up with an old friend or two before the tour. I'm not liking the airfares I'm seeing. :sad2: It's almost as much as my trip to the Med AND Israel last year! :eek:

Sayhello

Chropistopy
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I kind of want to wait until January to make my final decision surrounding what day to arrive and also wait to pay for my airfare. I'm scared that the prices may go up even more. I don't think that is going to matter though. I need to get through the Podcast cruise and Christmas. Only so much the pocketbook can take right now.

apurplebrat
11-23-2010, 05:29 AM
My mom Kaye and I are so excited for this trip.:cool1: We think we will try to arrive 1 or 2 days before. We haven't started to look at airfares yet, plan to wait till after the holidays. We leave in 9 days for WDW. We won't be on the podcast cruise :sad:

MinnieGarden
11-23-2010, 07:16 AM
I have been looking at airfare and date combinations for quite a while. Fortunately, Mike and I live in Houston and Continental offers direct flights into both London and Paris. My thought is to get to London the day before the tour starts and we already know we will have to stay at least one day at the end due to flight times.

We are going on the podcast cruise, so if anyone else will be on the ship, Mike and I would love to meet you!

By the way..... We're going to Paris!!!!!

k5jmh
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
By the way..... We're going to Paris!!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/sean-connery-louis-vuitton-00.jpg

corky441
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM

OMG...

I'm going wherever he's going :teeth:::yes:::faint:

DisneyKevin
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

This is not playing fair.:laughing:

k5jmh
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM

OK

http://nickhgculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/usher-with-louis-vuitton-carry-all.jpg

:rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
11-23-2010, 07:40 PM
OK

http://nickhgculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/usher-with-louis-vuitton-carry-all.jpg

:rotfl2:

This is easier and has nowhere near the same effect.:laughing:

k5jmh
11-24-2010, 12:04 PM
K&L is just around the corner!!!

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/DLP3.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/DLP4.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/DLP2.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/DLP.jpg

Becx N Gav
11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
We watch the Graham Norton show on BBC (LOVE IT) and just recently Ricky Gervais and his writing partner were on. The man is 6'7" and they asked him to do a cart wheel.

The comment was "he's going to look like the London Eye (the huge ferris wheel type thing)."

I completely stopped thinking about the joke and started thinking "oh...we're going to see that. I'm a bit terrified of heights. Will I go on that? The view must be amazing. I wonder if the pods are air conditioned? How many people fit in one pod?"

LOVE Graham Norton :thumbsup2 His earlier show on channel 4 - So Graham Norton was a bit more racey but soooooo funny :laughing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181255/

4OD Entertanment has a channel on you tube with his shows on - you may not be able to access it from the US, I'm not posting a link but try searching.

Here is a picture of the London Eye - I've not been on it but they look pretty spacious, you can walk all the way around.

http://www.londoneye.com/SiteImages/Assets/6/214.jpg

Sayhello

:laughing: The most recent Dr Who - Matt Smith is fab IMHO. There were some great episodes :thumbsup2

Good plan, it's so easy to go in the wrong direction on the tube - make sure you know if it's going North, South, East or West. If you do go the wrong way the easiest thing to do is get off at the next stop (they're fairly close in central London) and go back the way you came. You may have to climb a lot of stairs in some stations, they have escalators but they can be broken! They have elevators too (lifts) but they can take a while.

Yep London prices are crazy but so are DLRP ones! Oh and VAT is going up in January :rolleyes: So it will be 20% tax on sales instead of 17.5% :rolleyes:

Becx N Gav
11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Gordon Ramsey did a pop up restaurant in the London Eye in October

http://www.londoneye.com/NewsAndEvents/News/RamsayEyeOpenerforLondonRestaurantFestival2010/Default.aspx

sayhello
11-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Gordon Ramsey did a pop up restaurant in the London Eye in October

http://www.londoneye.com/NewsAndEvents/News/RamsayEyeOpenerforLondonRestaurantFestival2010/Default.aspxOMG, I had *NO* idea the pods were that large! :eek:

I just may be able to do that!

(I made them let me off of the Ferris Wheel at California Adventure. Just *could* not handle it!!!)

Sayhello

wishspirit
11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
John, I feel your pain! Every time I ask a question to Christy, she answers me back in her "outrageous accent." And she calls me a silly English Pig Dog.

http://www.brainofshawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/french.jpg

Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries! :lmao:

The London Eye is amazing, a must do! Pods don't really need to be air conditioned, as it never really gets that hot, and it's only for 30 minutes. When I went on, there were about 15/ 20 in one pod, with loads of space to sit down and move around and see the view. For me it felt like being in a tall building, looking out the window, nothing more threatening that that.

Are you planning to do a meet somewhere? I'd love to meet you all as I live so close! If you are planning one in Disneyland Paris I *might* be able to make it there either!

(I really want to hold a meet, as currently it is looking like a long time until my next visit to Florida!)

sayhello
11-24-2010, 08:17 PM
:laughing: The most recent Dr Who - Matt Smith is fab IMHO. There were some great episodes I'm afraid I'll always be a Tom Baker girl. :lovestruc He was the Doctor when I spent 6 months in England as an exchange student. I think your first Doctor is always special. Although I am rather fond of 10, also! :3dglasses

Sayhello

Chropistopy
11-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm afraid I'll always be a Tom Baker girl. :lovestruc He was the Doctor when I spent 6 months in England as an exchange student. I think your first Doctor is always special. Although I am rather fond of 10, also! :3dglasses

Sayhello

I'm enjoying Matt Smith as the Doctor but David Tennant is my favorite. I only started watching with Chris Eccleston...it is hard to imagine so many other people playing the part before him. I just rewatched The Girl in the Fireplace (Series 2) episode that is set at Versailles. Good episode plus....WE WILL ALL BE THERE IN 9 MONTHS!!! :woohoo:

Becx N Gav
11-25-2010, 08:09 AM
OMG, I had *NO* idea the pods were that large! :eek:

I just may be able to do that!

(I made them let me off of the Ferris Wheel at California Adventure. Just *could* not handle it!!!)

Sayhello

I hate ferris wheels :scared1: and cable cars but I think I would go on the London Eye, it looks very stable and I guess you wouldn't get much movement inside the pods.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries! :lmao:

The London Eye is amazing, a must do! Pods don't really need to be air conditioned, as it never really gets that hot, and it's only for 30 minutes. When I went on, there were about 15/ 20 in one pod, with loads of space to sit down and move around and see the view. For me it felt like being in a tall building, looking out the window, nothing more threatening that that.

Are you planning to do a meet somewhere? I'd love to meet you all as I live so close! If you are planning one in Disneyland Paris I *might* be able to make it there either!

(I really want to hold a meet, as currently it is looking like a long time until my next visit to Florida!)

I'm hoping we'll have the chance for a get together. We're not going to Florida next year, we may be able to swing it for a quick DLRP trip :goodvibes

I'm afraid I'll always be a Tom Baker girl. :lovestruc He was the Doctor when I spent 6 months in England as an exchange student. I think your first Doctor is always special. Although I am rather fond of 10, also! :3dglasses

Sayhello

For my it's Sylvestor McCoy - those cyber men scared the wotsits out of me when I was younger :laughing:

tardis1029
11-25-2010, 09:12 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING:thumbsup2
With all these whovins on the boards we could have our own mini convention. Maybe find a Cybermen or a Daleks or two:laughing:.
John

JWren1234
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Just looking at the list of people who have signed up for this trip already is getting me very excited to go!!!

Chropistopy
11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
happy thanksgiving!!!

Circusgirl
11-25-2010, 04:27 PM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

I am definitely counting my Disney blessings today!!! Looking forward to adventuring abroad with you!

Chropistopy
11-27-2010, 09:00 PM
With the Podcast being on hiatus, I went searching for something to listen to. I found the Visit London podcast. It is pretty interesting. Each episode is relatively short (10 - 15 minutes) and focuses on one place or thing to do in London. The only danger is that I'm going to want to fit in everything that is mentioned into our visit...I'm only three episodes in and already have a list of "must do's" going. :goodvibes

I recommend the podcast if you are looking for more information...or just want to get even more excited about the trip.

sayhello
11-27-2010, 09:10 PM
With the Podcast being on hiatus, I went searching for something to listen to. I found the Visit London podcast. It is pretty interesting. Each episode is relatively short (10 - 15 minutes) and focuses on one place or thing to do in London. The only danger is that I'm going to want to fit in everything that is mentioned into our visit...I'm only three episodes in and already have a list of "must do's" going. :goodvibes

I recommend the podcast if you are looking for more information...or just want to get even more excited about the trip.Ooooo... Sounds cool. Did you find them on iTunes?

Sayhello

Chropistopy
11-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Ooooo... Sounds cool. Did you find them on iTunes?

Sayhello

I did find them on iTunes. Enjoy!

sayhello
11-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I did find them on iTunes. Enjoy!Thanks! :goodvibes

Sayhello

sayhello
11-28-2010, 04:17 PM
OMG, Christy! I just listened to the 2 most recent "Visit London" podcasts while power walking, and I'm totally with you! I want to go to virtually *EVERY PLACE* they describe! The hard part is going to be narrowing it down to a manageable few!

Thanks so much for the rec! It's definitely pumping up the anticipation for this trip! :woohoo:

Sayhello

k5jmh
11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Fromage

k5jmh
11-28-2010, 06:19 PM
croissant

DisneyKevin
11-28-2010, 06:24 PM
More importantly....

C'est combien?

DisneyKevin
11-28-2010, 06:26 PM
And, of course...

Est-ce que vous acceptez les cartes de credit?

sayhello
11-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Fine. *Make* me have to haul out Babel Fish... :rolleyes:

Prendrez-vous ma photo ?

Sayhello

apurplebrat
11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
And, of course...

Est-ce que vous acceptez les cartes de credit?

extrêmement important. :cool1:

belle41379
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm searching my brain for HS French class memories! So far, so good. Oh, and........

WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!!!!

tardis1029
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Being from New York City - here are a few phases that one may find handy.
Au voleur! ( Stop Thief )
Laissez- moi ( Leave me alone)
Je suis desole ( I'm sorry )
Ou est la banque la plus proche ( Where is the nearest bank ! )
Je crois que je suis perdu ! ( I think I'm lost )
and my personal favorite .... Je veux un avocat ( I want a lawyer ! )
and for Pete. iln ' ya pas assez de nourriture de mon plat ( There's not enough food on my plate )

sayhello
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Being from New York City - here are a few phases that one may find handy.
Au voleur! ( Stop Thief )
Laissez- moi ( Leave me alone)
Je suis desole ( I'm sorry )
Ou est la banque la plus proche ( Where is the nearest bank ! )
Je crois que je suis perdu ! ( I think I'm lost )
and my personal favorite .... Je veux un avocat ( I want a lawyer ! )
and for Pete. iln ' ya pas assez de nourriture de mon plat ( There's not enough food on my plate ) :rotfl:

I wish I had *some* idea how to pronounce any of that!

Sayhello

Chropistopy
11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
:rotfl:

I wish I had *some* idea how to pronounce any of that!

Sayhello

Another podcast that I have been listening to is Coffee Break French (found on iTunes). I will by no means be fluent come September but will know some of the basics. I'm just happy that we will have guides to help us out when we get stuck. :)

sayhello
11-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Another podcast that I have been listening to is Coffee Break French (found on iTunes). I will by no means be fluent come September but will know some of the basics. I'm just happy that we will have guides to help us out when we get stuck. :)Amen!!!!!! :littleangel:

I'll check out that Coffee Break French. ANYTHING would help. I pronounce French like Spanish (hey, I grew up in Southern California!) and it makes EVERYONE cringe!

Sayhello

tardis1029
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Another podcast that I have been listening to is Coffee Break French (found on iTunes). I will by no means be fluent come September but will know some of the basics. I'm just happy that we will have guides to help us out when we get stuck. :)

Got to love iTunes:yay:

belle41379
11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Is that a free podcast? Sounds interesting!

sayhello
11-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Darn it! There seems to be some sort of problem with downloading Coffee Break French. :confused: Maybe I'll check back tomorrow...

Sayhello

Chropistopy
11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Is that a free podcast? Sounds interesting!

Yes...both Coffee Break French and Visit London are free podcasts.

DisneyKevin
12-01-2010, 09:01 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/01/trip.tips.baxter.london/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Not an earth shattering article, but fun photos of London.

I'm not usually antsy about a trip..but are we there yet?:laughing:

sayhello
12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/01/trip.tips.baxter.london/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Not an earth shattering article, but fun photos of London.

I'm not usually antsy about a trip..but are we there yet?:laughing:No. BUT WE'RE GOING TO LONDON AND PARIS!!!!! :woohoo:

Sayhello

ETA: Tsk, tsk. Whoever wrote the captions on that article called Big Ben the clock tower. It is not the clock tower, Big Ben is actually the clock's *bell*! Bad journalist!

Thanks, Kevin! That *was* fun.

DisneyKevin
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Bon Soir.

Je m'appelle Kevin.

Comment allez vous?

k5jmh
12-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Mon nom est Mike, mais vous pouvez m'appeler Michelle King.

Il est bon d'être le roi!

Oh pisse garçon!!

apurplebrat
12-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Heading to WDW in the morning for 14 days!! WooHoo:cool1:

k5jmh
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I screamed like a little girl when I opened the mail box today!!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs696.snc4/63613_1488613811448_1117025522_31094415_923488_n.j pg

sayhello
12-03-2010, 05:48 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs696.snc4/63613_1488613811448_1117025522_31094415_923488_n.j pgWOW! You lucky duck! I can hardly wait for mine!!!! :yay:

Sayhello

skunkvette
12-03-2010, 07:11 PM

I screamed too, but I didn't get our package yet, just the Visa bill....

Circusgirl
12-03-2010, 07:18 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

tardis1029
12-03-2010, 07:39 PM
:scared1:welcome to my world

k5jmh
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
This time next week I will be watching "Impressions de France." Then the next Friday eating @ Les Chefs!

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/podcast_cruise/k5jmh/IMG_9794.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/podcast_cruise/k5jmh/IMG_9805.jpg

Sarabi's Cubs
12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I cannot even believe I am saying this but...I'm going to London (and Paris)!!!!!:banana:

My husband and I always thought we would do this kind of traveling after our kids were out of the house. Well, there's nothing like getting slapped in the face with your own mortality to make you reevaluate your priorities. Suffice it to say I'm no longer as concerned about going by the book and making sure that we're scrimping and saving for retirement bliss. You just never know. And it will be amazing to have more than just a weekend away with my husband. He would say that these revelations are getting expensive, since I used this same argument to convince him to finally book a Disney cruise for the family (less than a month until that!) :rolleyes1

We have a longstanding argument about where we'd go when we finally travel with me wanting to visit London and him wanting Paris. :confused3When Pete made his announcement awhile back, the thought of them both, and with Disneyland Paris thrown in, was just too much to resist.:thumbsup2 So after getting our youngest started in kindergarten the week before we leave, we will be joining you all on this trip. To say we're excited is an understatement!!! I can't wait to meet you all!! And Kevin, thanks for answering all of my questions and please add us to the participant list!:worship:

Laurie

sayhello
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I cannot even believe I am saying this but...I'm going to London (and Paris)!!!!!:banana:

My husband and I always thought we would do this kind of traveling after our kids were out of the house. Well, there's nothing like getting slapped in the face with your own mortality to make you reevaluate your priorities. Suffice it to say I'm no longer as concerned about going by the book and making sure that we're scrimping and saving for retirement bliss. You just never know. And it will be amazing to have more than just a weekend away with my husband. He would say that these revelations are getting expensive, since I used this same argument to convince him to finally book a Disney cruise for the family (less than a month until that!) :rolleyes1

We have a longstanding argument about where we'd go when we finally travel with me wanting to visit London and him wanting Paris. :confused3When Pete made his announcement awhile back, the thought of them both, and with Disneyland Paris thrown in, was just too much to resist.:thumbsup2 So after getting our youngest started in kindergarten the week before we leave, we will be joining you all on this trip. To say we're excited is an understatement!!! I can't wait to meet you all!! And Kevin, thanks for answering all of my questions and please add us to the participant list!:worship:

LaurieCongrats, Laurie, and welcome to the Club! :woohoo: I totally get what you're saying about "You just never know". You don't want to be totally irresponsible about the future, but you don't want to ignore the present, either. I want to travel while I can, because you just never know. A wise doctor of mine said "No one wants to be reminded of their vulnerability". But when you are, it does put a lot of stuff in a different light.

Oh, and by the way, WE'RE GOING TO LONDON AND PARIS!!!!!! :yay:

Sayhello

skunkvette
12-04-2010, 07:19 PM

Laurie

Laurie,

Welcome to the group. And a fine group it is.

My DW (Cathy) and I agree with your philosophy, we had talked about returning to Europe to see London and Paris for years, and something always made us say "Next year....."

Well, now getting our documents this morning from ABD, we are on aboard, next year is the year!

DisneyKevin
12-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Laurie

Laurie and Brian are now "sur la liste" (on the list)

Bienvenue Laurie and Brian!!!!!!

DisneyKevin
12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes Mike.....you are "sur la liste" as well.:thumbsup2

k5jmh
12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Kevin, do we need to get the ABD paperwork back in the 14 days as mentioned in the ABD packet?

DisneyKevin
12-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Kevin, do we need to get the ABD paperwork back in the 14 days as mentioned in the ABD packet?

ABD would like you to complete the travel agreement and return it, but you will not lose your spot or deposit if you do not meet the 14 day deadline.

You dont need to worry about this.:thumbsup2

k5jmh
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
ABD would like you to complete the travel agreement and return it, but you will not lose your spot or deposit if you do not meet the 14 day deadline.

Merci!

Sarabi's Cubs
12-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome!:) I haven't traveled abroad in more than 25 years and we usually drive when traveling in the US, so I'd like some advice from some of you more experienced travelers about luggage/packing. I know I've got about 9 months, but I was thinking of getting some luggage for my husband for Christmas. How much luggage would you typically need for a trip like this? What size suitcase do you recommend when traveling? It would be nice to have everything in one suitcase but the 28-29 inch ones look so large and I was concerned it would put me over the weight limit. I was also surprised when looking yesterday by the huge variety in price. There were some suitcases that were $300 for a single suitcase (and that was 50% off), while others were around a hundred and some where you get 4 pieces for about the same price. Is there really that big of a difference in the brands? Any brands to avoid or brad preferences? I know I've heard Pete mention Travelpro on the podcast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Laurie

skunkvette
12-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Laurie,

I believe that ABD limits you to one full size suitcase a person, plus your carry on.

When we were on ADB Backstage last spring, we had also extended our trip by four days so with souvenirs the "over weight" issue for a single suitcase a piece became important. Thank the stars for FEDEX for the souvenirs!

Frank

DisneyKevin
12-05-2010, 08:58 AM
ABD does request that you keep it to one suitcase and one carry on per person.

As there are some of us that might want to shop....<cough cough>....while in London and Paris, you might want to consider packing a lightweight duffel bag.

Others have packed a smaller suitcase inside a larger suitcase.

When we were in Italy, we purchased some larger items (pottery and such) and had everything shipped home. It was worth the additional cost to not have to worry about getting these things home on a plane.

Something else to keep in mind....if you plan on shipping things directly from the vendor, we were told that it was best to use a credit card that insured your purchases.

As far as luggage is concerned, we have found that "4 pieces for one low price" sets usually dont last long. They are rarely a bargain. They also usually include a piece or two that you probably wont use.

We have had good luck with a Victorinox (Swiss Army) suitcase we found in Target.

DisneyKevin
12-05-2010, 09:00 AM
There is something else I need to share....

ABD keeps reminding me that I should tell everyone that there passports must be valid for a minimum of six months past your return home date.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

MinnieGarden
12-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Has anyone mentioned lately.......

We're going to Paris!

MinnieGarden
12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I have started listening to some of the Rick Steves in Paris podcast series available on iTunes. I found the episodes on French culture and dining to be particularly interesting. For example, they discuss restraunt service being slow as a sign of good service as a part of their culture.

apurplebrat
12-05-2010, 09:27 AM

This is great news. My mom and I are at Disney until the 15th.
Kevin you can add my mom Kaye to the list!!

We're going to Paris!!!!

Karen

DisneyKevin
12-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Kevin you can add my mom Kaye to the list!!

We're going to Paris!!!!

Karen

Your wish is my command!;)

apurplebrat
12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Merci beaucoup!!!! Heading to France in Epcot this morning, maybe check out some French perfume or wine :cool1:

k5jmh
12-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Has anyone mentioned lately.......

We're going to Paris!

Honey, can I go too?

DisneyKevin
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Today's French Lesson

Monday - Lundi
Tuesday - Mardi
Wednesday - Mercredi
Thursday - Jeudi
Friday - Vendredi
Saturday - Samedi
Sunday - Dimanche

Today - Aujoud'hui
Yesterday - Hier
Tomorrow - Demain

OKW Lover
12-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Connection
Fries
Toast
Kiss
Mustard

sayhello
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!:) I haven't traveled abroad in more than 25 years and we usually drive when traveling in the US, so I'd like some advice from some of you more experienced travelers about luggage/packing. I know I've got about 9 months, but I was thinking of getting some luggage for my husband for Christmas. How much luggage would you typically need for a trip like this? What size suitcase do you recommend when traveling? It would be nice to have everything in one suitcase but the 28-29 inch ones look so large and I was concerned it would put me over the weight limit. I was also surprised when looking yesterday by the huge variety in price. There were some suitcases that were $300 for a single suitcase (and that was 50% off), while others were around a hundred and some where you get 4 pieces for about the same price. Is there really that big of a difference in the brands? Any brands to avoid or brad preferences? I know I've heard Pete mention Travelpro on the podcast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LauriePersonally, I think you have to balance cost with things like how much the pieces weigh (there's some great lightweight stuff out there) plus sturdiness (I don't expect my luggage to last forever, but I want it to last for a few trips!) And I find how I'm going to use it makes a difference, too. I bought a Rick Steves carryon that fits an amazing amount of stuff in a carryon, and is smooshable (no rigidity to the "lid") enough to fit in most overheads. But if I plan on living out of the carryon due to no closets, etc (like if I'm staying with family in my nephew's room) this one is no good, because the top won't stay open. (It's all floppy). So think about things like that. If you're just going to unpack everything in the hotel room, it doesn't matter.

Another thing about "how many bags to pack" is the fact that if all your stuff for both of you is packed in one suitcase, and the airline loses or delays it, that's all your stuff. If you each check a smaller suitcase, put some of your stuff in his suitcase, and some of his stuff in your suitcase, and that way, you both have stuff even if you're minus one suitcase. Plus, it is *REALLY* easy to come close to the weight limit. I have a medium-sized suitcase that I check, and when I did the Med cruise, it came horrifically close to being overweight (I had a trip to Israel scheduled for after the cruise, also). Smaller is definitely better. The extra charge for another checked bag is way, WAY less than the charge for an overweight bag. I definitely recommend one medium-sized checked bag per person, plus a decent-sized carryon each. Remember, on most airlines, you each are allowed a carryon *plus* a personal item, such as a purse or a laptop bag. Make sure you check the requirements for the airline you book with, as each airline *does* have different rules.

Plus, if you have a choice, don't buy black luggage. It seems 95% of the world has black luggage. Something in a distinctive color will help you spot your suitcase much more easily.

Sayhello

astrodrummergirl
12-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Whilst attempting to catch up on the DIS, reading this thread backwards :P

I'm definately up for this!! DEFINATELY!!! *Starts saving up for Paris*

wishspirit
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I am trying to think of English phrases or sayings that you may not be familiar with. However if you have programmes like Top Gear and Gordon Ramsay in the US, you should be ok! :lmao:

DisneyKevin
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I am trying to think of English phrases or sayings that you may not be familiar with. However if you have programmes like Top Gear and Gordon Ramsay in the US, you should be ok! :lmao:

Gordon Ramsay has some colorful expresssions.

He uses one that makes John and I laugh.

He says "you make my ______ (insert scatological expression here) itch."

k5jmh
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Gordon Ramsay has some colorful expresssions.

He uses one that makes John and I laugh.

He says "you make my ______ (insert scatological expression here) itch."

Uvula?

DisneyKevin
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Uvula?

Yup!:thumbsup2

Sarabi's Cubs
12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the luggage advice! I think I'll look for a 24 or 25 inch suitcase. It looks like many of the nicer ones are expandable, so that will help with room for all of the stuff I plan to bring back with me. And thanks for the reminder about passport expiration dates! I just checked ours because I knew they expired in September, but it's 2012 not 2011.

Laurie

DisneyKevin
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Bonjour mes amis.:cool2:

sayhello
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Bonjour. Comment allez-vous aujourd'hui ?

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Bonjour. Comment allez-vous aujourd'hui ?

Sayhello

Bon. Je vous remercie.

Il fait froid en Orlando.

Brrr.

sayhello
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Bon. Je vous remercie.

Il fait froid en Orlando.

Brrr.Ah, oui. Il fait encore plus froid ici en Ohio. Nous avons la neige. Waaaah !

(Geez, I wish I had a clue how to pronounce ANY of this!) ;)

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh, wow - I really need to start learning some French! I'm in Ohio, too, and I can't believe how cold it is today!:eek:

Laurie

sayhello
12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh, wow - I really need to start learning some French! I'm in Ohio, too, and I can't believe how cold it is today!:eek:

LaurieSo do I! Believe me, I'm not learning anything yet. This is all from Babelfish! :rotfl:

It is SO COLD in Ohio. I am SO not a fan of winter! It's only just started, and I'm already ready for it to be over! 21F with a windchill of 7F is just INHUMAN!

Sayhello

belle41379
12-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay, where in OH are you? We are in OH too! :)

Oh, and WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!!

sayhello
12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Okay, where in OH are you? We are in OH too! :)

Oh, and WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!!I'm in Central OH, in the Columbus area.

You're going to Paris? Really? So am I! :woohoo:

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Really??? I'm in Columbus too (well Worthington actually but close enough and I work downtown).

Laurie

sayhello
12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Really??? I'm in Columbus too (well Worthington actually but close enough and I work downtown).

LaurieI PM'd you. :goodvibes

Sayhello

k5jmh
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Laurie
Anyplace close to a Container Store Rocks! :thumbsup2

Did I mention, WE'RE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!!?

MenashaCorp
12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Did I mention, WE'RE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!!?

Let me know if you're successful looking for answers to questions that bother you so... ;):goodvibes

DisneyKevin
12-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Let me know if you're successful looking for answers to questions that bother you so... ;):goodvibes

There are still a few spaces left Jason.

Join us?:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

MenashaCorp
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM

We would LOVE to, but we are buying a house... Gonna be on ramen noodles and DVC points for a while. We'll be with you in spirit. Westminster Abbey - to DIE for!!! We did all those London places on our honeymoon but not with ABD access. They sure have a lot of history over there!! ;)

k5jmh
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM

:worship: Jason, you complete me! :rolleyes1

belle41379
12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Just curious if anyone will be in the World between the 25th and the 31st. We would love to meet up - perhaps outside a park for a drink or snack? Any takers? Kevin, John, Walter, Pete...wanna brave property that week? :):banana: We will have a car, so we could go off property.

DisneyKevin
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Just curious if anyone will be in the World between the 25th and the 31st. We would love to meet up - perhaps outside a park for a drink or snack? Any takers? Kevin, John, Walter, Pete...wanna brave property that week? :):banana: We will have a car, so we could go off property.

I'm almost certain that John and I will be in and around the parks that week.

My cousin / nephew will be in town that week and I'm sure that we will be venturing into a park or two.

Unfortunately, I have no idea when, where or what time that will be.

We can figure that out after the podcast cruise and Christmas.

belle41379
12-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm almost certain that John and I will be in and around the parks that week.

My cousin / nephew will be in town that week and I'm sure that we will be venturing into a park or two.

Unfortunately, I have no idea when, where or what time that will be.

We can figure that out after the podcast cruise and Christmas.

Sounds good! You will have your dining room back! :thumbsup2 Hope the trip goes well.

DisneyKevin
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Some beautiful photos....but I hope it's warmer when we are there.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/08/france.weather/index.html?hpt=Sbin

sayhello
12-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Some beautiful photos....but I hope it's warmer when we are there.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/08/france.weather/index.html?hpt=SbinI think by default it *has* to be. If it snows in September, I'mma not gonna be happy!

It does make for some cool pictures, though!

Sayhello

mattincanberra
12-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok, just took the plunge. I never ever ever thought i would do a escorted tour anywhere and now Cet Australien va à Paris avec de nombreux bientôt de nouveaux amis!!!

All I can say is that you guys had better be as fun as you are on the show in real life!! :rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
12-09-2010, 01:08 PM
All I can say is that you guys had better be as fun as you are on the show in real life!! :rotfl2:

No pressure there...huh, Matt?:laughing:

I guess the best compliment I can come up with is that the vast majority of people on this Adventure are repeat guests.

By the way....my ABD rep is out until tomorrow (Friday).

I'll be booking your Adventure then.

Let me know if you'd like to be added to our list in the first post.

Kevin

mattincanberra
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Let me know if you'd like to be added to our list in the first post.
Kevin

Happy to be added to the list! And really, pressure, your talking to an Australian - we do laid back and sarcasm all in one - i reckon it'll be a riot

DisneyKevin
12-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Happy to be added to the list! And really, pressure, your talking to an Australian - we do laid back and sarcasm all in one - i reckon it'll be a riot

Your wish is my command.

Welcome aboard Matt!

And by the way....no one loves snarkasm more than me.:thumbsup2

Sarabi's Cubs
12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Love the pictures Kevin!! And bought luggage for my husband (and me too) today!!!:cool1:

arowanafor
12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
When are you's all hitting the big cities.

apurplebrat
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/apurplebrat/londonmagnet.jpghttp://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/apurplebrat/parismagnet.jpg

I picked up these magnets today in Epcot. I am going to give these to my mom for Christmas to tell her We're going to PARIS!! :cool1:

sayhello
12-10-2010, 10:41 PM
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/apurplebrat/londonmagnet.jpghttp://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k621/apurplebrat/parismagnet.jpg

I picked up these magnets today in Epcot. I am going to give these to my mom for Christmas to tell her We're going to PARIS!! :cool1:What a fun way to tell her! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

JWren1234
12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I just bought guide books to help prepare for the trip. I got the Fodor's boooks for London and Paris as well as the Unofficial Guide For Disneyland Paris.

I've only skimmed through the books at this point, but I notice The Disneyland Hotel gets outstanding reviews for the hotel in general and the dining (California Grill - overlooks Disneyland Paris Main Street, Inventions - outstanding international buffet...food quality is supposed to be excellent).

Starting to read the guide books gets me more and more excited to go.

k5jmh
12-19-2010, 03:06 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs403.ash2/68160_1506206611257_1117025522_31127102_976629_a.j pg

WE'RE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!!!!!

sayhello
12-19-2010, 05:49 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs403.ash2/68160_1506206611257_1117025522_31127102_976629_a.j pg

WE'RE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!!!!!I'm sorry. Where did you say we were going???? :rotfl:

Sayhello

Chropistopy
12-19-2010, 06:15 PM

WE'RE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we are!! :cool1:

It was great meeting you and Christy on the cruise.

k5jmh
12-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes, we are!! :cool1:

It was great meeting you and Christy on the cruise.

It was great to meet you too, Christy! :goodvibes

mattincanberra
12-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Well, just got home to find a very expensive badge :) in my mail box. It needed to go find some French things to commune with. Thanks guys!

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/mattincbr/paris-1.jpg

OKW Lover
12-21-2010, 06:53 AM
For those going on this trip, you might be interested in the free downloads from Lonely Planet of the following city guides. Offer expires 12/23.

Lonely Planet Amsterdam City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Berlin City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Copenhagen City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Dublin City Guide (pictured) for free
Lonely Planet London City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Moscow City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Munich City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Paris City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Prague City Guidefor free
Lonely Planet St. Petersburg City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Stockholm City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Vienna City Guide for free
Lonely Planet Warsaw City Guide for free

Just go to Apple's App Store

sayhello
12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Cool! Thanks OKW Lover. I really like Lonely Planet's City Guides.

I've been trying to download that "Coffee Break French" Podcast, but I can't get any of the early ones to download in iTunes. The advanced ones that I'm getting don't really help me much.

I have to learn how to say more than "Merci"!

Sayhello

disneyholic family
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
i'm sorry i won't be joining in the fun....
we'll probably be on a family trip to the big mouse (in orlando) at the same time in Sept...
the two couples are taking us on their honeymoons with them...(DD and DS and their respective spouses)...

but even if we weren't scheduled for that, i don't think i'd be able to do this trip...way too costly for me i think.....and i assume the price mentioned in earlier posts doesn't include airfare...
i'm sure it will be worth every penny though...maybe next time if i win the lotto in the interim...

belle41379
12-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Okay y'all, we are here in the World! :) We are up for meeting if anyone wants to. Kevin, definetly let us know if you guys will be around and want meet up.

Hope everyone had a very blessed holiday. :)

k5jmh
12-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Kevin, a couple of questions....

How much are pre/post stay hotel rooms? We are looking at arriving on the 31st and departing the 14th. (Continental lowered the fare for fly dates in and out of Houston).

And the end of the tour, is the hotel transfer from the hotel at DLP to CDG or the Paris hotel that we will be staying at before the DLP add-on?

Happy Holidays everyone!!

We just survived Christmas and "WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!!"

jcb
12-26-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm just sure I saw this bag in Nassau on PCC 2.0. ;) It was in an open air market on Bay Street next to the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation. They wanted $80 for it.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/jcburgin/PompeyMuseum_Nassau_2010_100_3259.jpg

Sean Connery was no where to be seen.

*NikkiBell*
12-26-2010, 05:45 PM

And you have a button to prove it! ;)

DisneyKevin
12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Kevin, a couple of questions....

How much are pre/post stay hotel rooms? We are looking at arriving on the 31st and departing the 14th. (Continental lowered the fare for fly dates in and out of Houston).

And the end of the tour, is the hotel transfer from the hotel at DLP to CDG or the Paris hotel that we will be staying at before the DLP add-on?

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Pre-night stays at the London hotel are $481.25 for two people and $409.55 for a single.

ABD is not offering post nights with this Adventure. I'm not positive that this is the reason, but I'm guessing that because this is the first time this has been done in conjunction with DLP, there is a not a contracted rate set yet.

The transfer at the end of the Adventure is from The Disneyland hotel to CDG Airport.

Transfers are included at the beginning and end of the Adventure as longs as you are under and ABD reservation.

If you book pre or post nights on your own, transfers are not included for that portion of the Adventure.

If anyone has questions about this....please let me know.

k5jmh
12-29-2010, 06:02 AM
It is hard to believe that we are at the 8 month mark and we are planning our Pre and Post Adventure stays and getting ready book airfare.

So what is everyone planning to do if they get there early or stay after the adventure?

skunkvette
12-29-2010, 07:45 AM
So what is everyone planning to do if they get there early or stay after the adventure?

We have already booked one pretrip added day, and have also purchased our airfare. We wanted to be sure to get the flight times and dates we prefered.

We fly out of Philadelphia late in the day, travel overnight to arrive in London on the morning before the start of the adventure.

We figure this will give us a day to get our bearings, but we will not be able to stay on at the end of the tour.

Frank and Cathy

Chropistopy
12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm currently trying to work out the airfare. I would like to arrive on the 1st and have an extra day in London. The problem is that it seems like to do that I'd have leave on 8/30 and have some ridiculous layovers. It looks like I'm going to be leaving on the night of the 1st and arriving early on the 2nd.

I have been looking into doing something on our last night in London though...which I believe is a free night. I'm a huge theater fan and trying to decide if I'd like to see another show that night. I mean...how many times am I really going to be able to go to a West End show? I've also thought about attempting to see a show at the Globe. Anyone else thinking about dinner and a show that night?

sayhello
12-29-2010, 10:57 AM
It is hard to believe that we are at the 8 month mark and we are planning our Pre and Post Cruise stays and getting ready book airfare.

So what is everyone planning to do if they get there early or stay after the adventure?You're going on a Cruise, too??? ;)

I really need to get going. Whether I do pre- or post- tour depends on what kind of airfare I can get. I spent 6 months in Winchester, England many, MANY years ago, and plan to go back to that area & a few other spots (Oxford, etc), either before or after the tour. Before would be easier, but if it's significantly cheaper to shift my flights totally into September and fly round-trip from London, I may take the Chunnel back to London after the tour, and travel then. But I'd MUCH rather do it before & fly home from Paris.

We have already booked one pretrip added day, and have also purchased our airfare. We wanted to be sure to get the flight times and dates we prefered.

We fly out of Philadelphia late in the day, travel overnight to arrive in London on the morning before the start of the adventure.

We figure this will give us a day to get our bearings, but we will not be able to stay on at the end of the tour.

Frank and CathyWhat airline are you flying? I really don't have any experience flying to England or France. I'd try for British Airways, but I hear they don't assign seats until the last minute, and I'm not willing to risk getting a crap seat for that long a flight! But I really need to get going on this!!!!!

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
12-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Please help me welcome Mike and De Anna to our Adventure and the Dis Unplugged Board.

Welcome!!!!!!:cool1:

sayhello
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Please help me welcome Mike and De Anna to our Adventure and the Dis Unplugged Board.

Welcome!!!!!!:cool1:Welcome to our little world, and to our fabulous trip!!!!! :woohoo:

Sayhello

Chropistopy
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM

Welcome!!!

apurplebrat
12-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Welcome Mike and De Anna!:cool1:

skunkvette
12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
You're going on a Cruise, too??? ;)

What airline are you flying? I really don't have any experience flying to England or France. I'd try for British Airways, but I hear they don't assign seats until the last minute, and I'm not willing to risk getting a crap seat for that long a flight! But I really need to get going on this!!!!!

Sayhello

Looked at all available airlines, decide to go with USAir since they had direct non stop flights.

Also, USAir is my only air miles card, and with a trip for ABD Backstage in Feb, a week in WDW in June plus any business travel, the trip to England should boost my miles a bit.

Welcome to Mike and De Anna!!!

Frank and Cathy

sayhello
12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Looked at all available airlines, decide to go with USAir since they had direct non stop flights.

Also, USAir is my only air miles card, and with a trip for ABD Backstage in Feb, a week in WDW in June plus any business travel, the trip to England should boost my miles a bit.Shoot. I was afraid of that. Thanks! I appreciate the info. But after the experience I just had on Monday in Philadelphia with USAirways, they'd have to be rock bottom on prices, and the absolute *BEST* route and times for me to even consider going *NEAR* them ever again!!!!! :eek:

Sayhello

k5jmh
12-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Welcome, Mike #3 and De Anna!!

skunkvette
12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Shoot. I was afraid of that. Thanks! I appreciate the info. But after the experience I just had on Monday in Philadelphia with USAirways, they'd have to be rock bottom on prices, and the absolute *BEST* route and times for me to even consider going *NEAR* them ever again!!!!! :eek:

Sayhello

Sorry you had a tough time with both Philly and USAir, they each can be challenging on a good day!

I usually have success with "first of the day" flights out on USAir, our leg to London will be late in the day, so anything can happen.

tardis1029
12-29-2010, 06:23 PM

:worship:WELCOME... WELCOME...WELCOME !!!!!!!!

JWren1234
12-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Welcome to the trip Mike and De Anna! It's going to be a great time!

corky441
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
If this was mentioned previously on your thread, please disregard ;)

I was checking out some apps for my iPhone in the travel section.

I found GUIDEPAL & they have free city guides
(just do a search for guidepal & all the guides show up)

There is a city guide for Paris and also one for London.

Might be worth a look - free is always good :thumbsup2

nilda.pride
12-31-2010, 04:07 AM
can u guys help me i m planning a trip to europe....anybody been there??

nilda.pride
12-31-2010, 04:10 AM
also if you have ny helpful links...they are welcome....its urgent...we are leaving in 2 days...i need to plan out..thanks:)

sayhello
12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
can u guys help me i m planning a trip to europe....anybody been there??Europe's a really big place. It might help if you told us what country or countries you're traveling to.

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Happy New Year everyone! Mike and I look forward to meeting you all and

WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Chropistopy
12-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Happy New Year!!!

apurplebrat
12-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Happy New Year!!! pixiedust:pixiedust:

sayhello
01-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Happy 2011!!!!

IN PARIS!!!

Sayhello

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Hewene/others/2011HappyNewYear.gif

Chropistopy
01-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Is anyone else on Facebook? I'd love to be able to friend you all so that we can get to know each other better before the trip. Here's the link to my page...

Christy Nasworthy (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1037886510)

If you friend me, just put that you are a fellow DISer in the message.

Sarabi's Cubs
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Guess where I was on Sunday? Lying in a lounge chair on Castaway Cay reading my Disneyland Paris guidebook :beach:. And really, what's better than that? Oh yeah - being in London/Paris in 8 months!!:cool1: Now that our first Disney cruise is over :sad2:, I really need to start looking at airfares and such. We're hoping to get early and maybe visit Windsor or Hampton Court or Oxford (so many places - so little time!)

Laurie

Chropistopy
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Booked my flights today!!! :cool1: It is wonderful to have that off of my list. It feels like I'm one step closer to the trip.

DisneyKevin
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Flights being booked and Adventures being paid off.....very exciting.

Yes, I said PAID OFF.

This adventure is getting closer and closer.

WooHoo!!!!

corky441
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
If anyone is still in the process of checking on their airfare, I have been pricing out flights for my Italy ABD trip and I'm finding it to be quite a task - to say the least. :surfweb:

In my quests though, I have found that Air France has some great pricing and strange as it may seem, I'll probably be flying Air France to get to Italy :confused3

They also have a new "premium economy class" which looks wonderful

Caio ;)

Sarabi's Cubs
01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I feel like such a novice on booking flights, because we only fly once or twice a year, and I've never flown abroad. The best rate I'm finding with all of the fees is about $1,300 pp. Does that seem reasonable for those of you who travel often? Any airlines you really wouldn't recommend for overseas travel? Also, I was looking into flights on travelocity before Christmas and found one with times I liked and then when I checked last night, the flight didn't show up on travelocity anymore but it does show up on the airline's individual website. Any ideas why? I'm debating between just booking it now to make sure we can arrive and depart when we want and waiting to see if prices fall.

Laurie

sayhello
01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I feel like such a novice on booking flights, because we only fly once or twice a year, and I've never flown abroad. The best rate I'm finding with all of the fees is about $1,300 pp. Does that seem reasonable for those of you who travel often? Any airlines you really wouldn't recommend for overseas travel? Also, I was looking into flights on travelocity before Christmas and found one with times I liked and then when I checked last night, the flight didn't show up on travelocity anymore but it does show up on the airline's individual website. Any ideas why? I'm debating between just booking it now to make sure we can arrive and depart when we want and waiting to see if prices fall.

LaurieWell, that's a reasonable price from what I've seen over the last few weeks. Don't know how it compares to other years, but airfare overseas just seems to be higher this year. I never book through travelocity. I use it to find the good airfares, and then go to the individual airline's sites to book. I'm getting close to doing what you're suggesting, and just booking to get what I want. What airline were you looking at? Delta's flights look good, but I hate Delta with a burning passion, and will be quite upset if that turns out to be the only airline that works...

Hey, anyone who is looking to book a Hotel on your own in London for before the trip, the Park Plaza County Hall in London (4 star) has a "friends & family" promotion that has a really great rate (I got £66.08 GBP!) This hotel is rated #36 out of 1,054 London hotels on TripAdivsor. The promo code is CARLSONF.

Sayhello

k5jmh
01-07-2011, 06:48 PM
We purchased our Airfare on Wednesday!! Christy now wants a Kindle so that she can have instant access to all of her Travel Guides for Europe. I guess the means we really are going!!! :rotfl2:

WooHoo!!!

MinnieGarden
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, that's a reasonable price from what I've seen over the last few weeks. Don't know how it compares to other years, but airfare overseas just seems to be higher this year. I never book through travelocity. I use it to find the good airfares, and then go to the individual airline's sites to book. I'm getting close to doing what you're suggesting, and just booking to get what I want. What airline were you looking at? Delta's flights look good, but I hate Delta with a burning passion, and will be quite upset if that turns out to be the only airline that works...

Hey, anyone who is looking to book a Hotel on your own in London for before the trip, the Park Plaza County Hall in London (4 star) has a "friends & family" promotion that has a really great rate (I got £66.08 GBP!) This hotel is rated #36 out of 1,054 London hotels on TripAdivsor. The promo code is CARLSONF.

Sayhello

I book a LOT of corporate travel and I second that! I use Travelocity, etc for finding fares, then book dorectly with the airline. We paid $960/pp with taxes and everything. I was happy with that as it went down $150 from the time we started looking. I felt really good about the purchase until the final receipt came and all the fees were itemized. Of the $960, only $644 was airfare, the rest was fuel surcharges and customs fees. :scared1:

Thanks for the hotel tip in London! Now to find something for Paris......:surfweb:

Chropistopy
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow! Congrats to whoever is paid in full!

I ended up going with the flights that were most convenient for me since I couldn't find any great difference in price.

Sarabi's Cubs
01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Just curious, why do you search airfares on travelocity but then book directly with the airline? Is there some advantage to booking directly?

Sayhello - I was looking at Continental. I don't like Delta either, which is probably unfair because I don't travel enough to form a truly educated opinion, but I had a bad experience with them in the past.

For those of you booking pre-trip stays, I was able to use my Marriott rewards points to book the night before the trip at the same hotel, which was a nice savings for us, so you might look into that.

Laurie

skunkvette
01-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Just curious, why do you search airfares on travelocity but then book directly with the airline? Is there some advantage to booking directly?

Laurie

I use Travelocity or Expedia for research and book direct with the airlines because it is usually the same price or cheaper and if you need to make any changes in flights, it is ten times easier to deal with the airline directly rather than through the other agents.

MinnieGarden
01-08-2011, 09:12 AM
I use Travelocity or Expedia for research and book direct with the airlines because it is usually the same price or cheaper and if you need to make any changes in flights, it is ten times easier to deal with the airline directly rather than through the other agents.

Exactly! Tickets booked through Travelocity, Expedia, etc are also far less flexible when if comes to upgrades, and other issues that may arise during travel.

We live in Houston, so we are flying Continental. Fortunately they offer direct flights to both London and Paris. :thumbsup2

sayhello
01-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I book a LOT of corporate travel and I second that! I use Travelocity, etc for finding fares, then book dorectly with the airline. We paid $960/pp with taxes and everything. I was happy with that as it went down $150 from the time we started looking. I felt really good about the purchase until the final receipt came and all the fees were itemized. Of the $960, only $644 was airfare, the rest was fuel surcharges and customs fees. :scared1:

Thanks for the hotel tip in London! Now to find something for Paris......:surfweb:WHERE did you find airfare for $960? Everything I'm seeing is in the $1400 range.

What prices are others seeing?

Sayhello

JWren1234
01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
WHERE did you find airfare for $960? Everything I'm seeing is in the $1400 range.

Sayhello

Going from/to Newark I've seeing $1050 - $1100 for about a month now. I think I'll probably be purchasing my airfare in the next couple of weeks.

Jason

k5jmh
01-08-2011, 01:24 PM
WHERE did you find airfare for $960? Everything I'm seeing is in the $1400 range.

Sayhello

We had been watching Continental for a couple of months. The price we were seeing was around $1200 per person. Finally on 12/26 is dropped to $980 then down to $960. We jumped on it. We are flying out of IAH.

One thing to keep in mind is that you have a smaller airport that hubs out of Newark or Houston that flys or partners with COair, you might be able to find a cheaper rate.

The same flights out of Austin and San Antonio that connect through Houston have been cheaper than flying directly out of Houston.

k5jmh
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Eiffel.jpg

JPWDW
01-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Interesting, never seen those trips before. Only to Central America.

tardis1029
01-08-2011, 02:14 PM
We just booked our airline tickets:yay:We're arriving in London on the 29th and looking for a place to stay.. we welcome any suggestions !
After our ABD1.0 Backstage Magic tour in April,we realized that we need a vacation after our vacation so after Paris we're going to Dublin for a few days to decompress and get some needed refreshments:hmghost: and haven't booked that hotel either yet . ( suggestions appreciated too ) .

Chropistopy
01-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Sayhello

I'm flying Delta out of Atlanta and paid a little over $1100. Thankfully, I got direct flights both ways.

I'm a little envious of the folks booking pre and post night stays. I'll be arriving the morning our adventure starts and flying out the day it ends. I do have an afternoon flight so hope to maybe get a little more park time that day.

jcb
01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm flying Delta out of Atlanta and paid a little over $1100. Thankfully, I got direct flights both ways.

I'm a little envious of the folks booking pre and post night stays. I'll be arriving the morning our adventure starts and flying out the day it ends. I do have an afternoon flight so hope to maybe get a little more park time that day.

:wave:

You guys will love christy. She survived my table manners on the cruise.

sayhello
01-08-2011, 08:12 PM

I'm a little envious of the folks booking pre and post night stays. I'll be arriving the morning our adventure starts and flying out the day it ends. I do have an afternoon flight so hope to maybe get a little more park time that day.I wasn't quite anticipating $1400 for the airfare for this... Oh, well. Whatcha gonna do?

I definitely am doing some pre-nights. I spent 6 months in England more than 30 years ago, and somehow have managed to not go back since. I want to hit Winchester again, some other spots, and a few additional places in London. But I'm leaving right after the ABD. Not sure what time yet...

Sayhello

apurplebrat
01-09-2011, 06:51 AM
I keep checking airfars out of Boston. The non-stop flights are ranging aboutthe same prices. We plan to arrive on 8/31. Still trying to decide if we should take the overnight flight.

When are folks planning on arriving?

Airfare just makes it so real. We are going to Paris!!!:cool1:

skunkvette
01-09-2011, 08:01 AM
[COLOR=purple]When are folks planning on arriving?

Airfare just makes it so real. We are going to Paris!!!:cool1:

We are booked out of Philly late 8/31, direct flight - overnight.

We leave the morning (11 AM) of the last day, got to get back to the real world.

DisneyKevin
01-09-2011, 08:53 AM
John and I are leaving on 8/31 as well.

We'll be arriving on 9/1 and leaving on 9/10.

At this point, we're playing the airline roulette game and waiting to see if prices go down a bit.

WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!

Chropistopy
01-09-2011, 09:25 AM
:wave:

You guys will love christy. She survived my table manners on the cruise.

Awwwh...Thanks Jack! There wasn't anything to "survive". I enjoyed my time with all my tablemates on the cruise!

k5jmh
01-09-2011, 10:01 AM
We fly on 8/31 and leave Paris on 9/13

Sarabi's Cubs
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the airline advice! We're hoping to fly out on 8/31 and back on 9/10. Any opinions on whether it's better to fly through Newark, JFK, Boston, or Reagan National? Those seem to be our options - prices look about the same for any of those connections, so I think I'm just going to go with what time looks the best.

Laurie

sayhello
01-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the airline advice! We're hoping to fly out on 8/31 and back on 9/10. Any opinions on whether it's better to fly through Newark, JFK, Boston, or Reagan National? Those seem to be our options - prices look about the same for any of those connections, so I think I'm just going to go with what time looks the best.

LaurieThe only thing I know about those four is that when I flew to Madrid from Ohio via JFK last year, I had to actually change terminals in JFK, which meant going through security again. So if you do choose JFK, make sure you have at *least* a couple of hours between your flights!

Sayhello

belle41379
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
We booked airfare and will be leaving the 31st as well. Not sure where we are staying, but i think Michael talked with Kevin about it. :banana: We go tomorrow morning to get our passports!!!

skunkvette
01-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Just a note concerning passport renewals.

I was very pleased that when we renewed our passports in mid December, it only took three and one half weeks to get our passports back.

k5jmh
01-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Christy has to get the name on her passport changed to her married name. The last time we did passports it only took two weeks. I am curious about this time.

mattincanberra
01-16-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm arriving September 1st at some really awful hour (5:40 am), and then planning on spending a couple of nights in London at the end, so flying out of London on the 13th.

I got lucky and managed to have Qantas find me some Frequent Flyer seats.

Matt

k5jmh
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
If ya'll are perplexed as I am about finding the right travel bag to take to Europe, Travel Pro has their rolling duffels on sale in the outlet store. TravelPro is what Pete uses and he has talked about them on the show. I have been a die-hard Eagle Creek Bag user, But I think we may pick up two of these.

http://www.travelproluggageoutlet.com/Results.cfm?category=31&type=atlanticcollections

http://www.travelproluggageoutlet.com/content/cw3/assets/product_full/AP9-113-01.jpg

k5jmh
01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Kevin, Nancy wanted to show you the capacity of your bag...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs063.snc6/167332_1534643647478_1276424426_31256562_1045554_n .jpg

You can bring back all your LV stuff and a small French clown.

DisneyKevin
01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
If ya'll are perplexed as I am about finding the right travel bag to take to Europe, Travel Pro has their rolling duffels on sale in the outlet store. TravelPro is what Pete uses and he has talked about them on the show. I have been a die-hard Eagle Creek Bag user, But I think we may pick up two of these.

http://www.travelproluggageoutlet.com/Results.cfm?category=31&type=atlanticcollections

http://www.travelproluggageoutlet.com/content/cw3/assets/product_full/AP9-113-01.jpg

And they are currently "buy one, get one free".:thumbsup2

Two of these are on their way to the Klose / Magi household.

sayhello
01-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Is that TravelPro bag a checked bag or carryon? I just bought a new carryon that I took with me to Philly (only needed a carryon for a couple of days) and I really love it. But my checked bag is a pretty standard, medium-sized, light suitcase. It worked for the Med, but I'm always open to new ideas.

Here's the duffel-type carryon I got. It holds a surprising amount of stuff! (It's on sale right now for less than I paid for it!)

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?lastterm=mother%20lode%20etech%20mini%2021%2 0%20wheeled%20duffel

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/36h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im6/68256_3_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=280&wid=280

Sayhello

k5jmh
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Is that TravelPro bag a checked bag or carryon? I just bought a new carryon that I took with me to Philly (only needed a carryon for a couple of days) and I really love it. But my checked bag is a pretty standard, medium-sized, light suitcase. It worked for the Med, but I'm always open to new ideas.

Here's the duffel-type carryon I got. It holds a surprising amount of stuff!

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?lastterm=mother%20lode%20etech%20mini%2021%2 0%20wheeled%20duffel

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/36h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im6/68256_3_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=280&wid=280

Sayhello

That would be a checked Bag. It would not past muster for a carry-on

sayhello
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Kevin, Nancy wanted to show you the capacity of your bag...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs063.snc6/167332_1534643647478_1276424426_31256562_1045554_n .jpg

You can bring back all your LV stuff and a small French clown.Oh, that is hilarious!!! :rotfl:

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
01-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Here's the duffel-type carryon I got. It holds a surprising amount of stuff!

Sayhello

LOVE your carryon idea! The TravelPro would be checked luggage. Mike is trying to figure out how to combine his technology bag with the really important stuff like clothes! :rotfl2:

sayhello
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
That would be a checked Bag. It would not past muster for a carry-onThanks!

The biggest problem I have luggage-wise for international travel is that most of the flights from Columbus to wherever the International leg goes from are on small regional jets. Which means that the carryon gets gate checked. There are some things I *will not* gate check (meds, electronics, etc), so I need a *large* "purse" to put those things in, along with my actual small travel purse. The trick is to leave enough room in the carryon to stash that bag/stuff after I get to JFK or wherever. But that so rarely happens... :confused3 So I end up shlepping this huge "purse" thing all over the airport, etc.

Sayhello

sayhello
01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
LOVE your carryon idea! The TravelPro would be checked luggage. Mike is trying to figure out how to combine his technology bag with the really important stuff like clothes! :rotfl2:This carryon bag is really cool because if you want, you can compartmentalize the top "duffle" part from the more rigid bottom part. So he could put the technology stuff in one half, and the clothes in the other. I put my clothes in the bottom part, and all my misc stuff like toiletries, electronics cords, underwear, etc, in the top part. It worked *really* well.

And it's really light.

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
This carryon bag is really cool because if you want, you can compartmentalize the top "duffle" part from the more rigid bottom part. So he could put the technology stuff in one half, and the clothes in the other. I put my clothes in the bottom part, and all my misc stuff like toiletries, electronics cords, underwear, etc, in the top part. It worked *really* well.

And it's really light.

Sayhello

Awesome! I looked at the eBags site and it looks like there are three big compartments and a few smaller compartments. Is that about right?

sayhello
01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Awesome! I looked at the eBags site and it looks like there are three big compartments and a few smaller compartments. Is that about right?That's about right. However, the 2 compartments in the bottom part are created by a removable partition (velcro!) so you could have 2 large compartments (remove the partition) or 2 really large & one small compartment, etc. I found it really flexible.

I've noticed they got larger (checked) versions on sale, too. I may just have to buy one of those... hmmmm

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
That's about right. However, the 2 compartments in the bottom part are created by a removable partition (velcro!) so you could have 2 large compartments (remove the partition) or 2 really large & one small compartment, etc. I found it really flexible.

I've noticed they got larger (checked) versions on sale, too. I may just have to buy one of those... hmmmm

Sayhello

I just bought the bag! Today must be luggage day at our house.....:goodvibes

Now for the next deliemma...... shoes!:rolleyes1

sayhello
01-16-2011, 01:17 PM
I just bought the bag! Today must be luggage day at our house.....:goodvibes

Now for the next deliemma...... shoes!:rolleyes1Congrats! I think you're going to really like it. I was surprised by how much I did.

Don't get me started on shoes! ;)

Sayhello

belle41379
01-16-2011, 01:54 PM
We need new luggage. Does anyone know how long the sales will be on for?

Any idea of at what point we will be getting our exact daily itenary? I am wondering when we will have free time/how much/when we have meals on our own, etc.

Ditto about the shoes! :rotfl2:

DisneyKevin
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Any idea of at what point we will be getting our exact daily itenary? I am wondering when we will have free time/how much/when we have meals on our own, etc.

You will receive a "goodie box" approximately 45 days prior to departure which will contain a more detailed itinerary, but for now....this is pretty good.

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=LondonParisItineraryPage

Please keep in mind that this will not include the DLP portion of the Adventure.

There is currently no printed literature or collateral for that portion because IT WAS CREATED FOR US!!!!!!!!!:banana:

We are the first group taking part in this special addition.:woohoo:

Hope that helps.

sayhello
01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
You will receive a "goodie box" approximately 45 days prior to departure which will contain a more detailed itinerary, but for now....this is pretty good.

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/destination?name=LondonParisItineraryPage

Please keep in mind that this will not include the DLP portion of the Adventure.

There is currently no printed literature or collateral for that portion because IT WAS CREATED FOR US!!!!!!!!!:banana:

We are the first group taking part in this special addition.:woohoo:

Hope that helps.Whee for the goody box! I missed that with the Med cruise add-on. :guilty: I hope they change their minds about doing those. (They gave us most of the stuff once we got on the Magic). Some of it we didn't get at all (and it was one of the simple pieces I missed the most!)

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
01-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Anyone know how long you should allow for an international connection? I'm looking at flights, and there's one from Paris to Newark to Columbus, but there's only about 1 1/2 hour layover in Newark. Is that enough time to get through customs and to the connecting flight (assuming the flight is on time)? If we miss it, we'd probably have to stay overnight in the airport so if it's not doable, I may look at later times out of Paris and get in the next day. I do feel a little weird about flying on September 11 though.

Laurie

Sarabi's Cubs
01-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm glad others are asking about the itinerary too. It looks like we will see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, but not actually go in. I'd like to do that since it's only open 6 weeks out of the year and we're lucky enough to be there at the right time. Also, I see that we meet at St Paul's for a walking tour one day, but can't tell if we actually tour St Paul's or if that's something we do on our own time. So much to see!!!!

Laurie

MinnieGarden
01-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm glad others are asking about the itinerary too. It looks like we will see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, but not actually go in. I'd like to do that since it's only open 6 weeks out of the year and we're lucky enough to be there at the right time. Also, I see that we meet at St Paul's for a walking tour one day, but can't tell if we actually tour St Paul's or if that's something we do on our own time. So much to see!!!!

Laurie

Agreed! It looks like there's more free time in London than in Paris. I wonder how long it takes to tour Buckingham Palace and St. Paul's?

sayhello
01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Anyone know how long you should allow for an international connection? I'm looking at flights, and there's one from Paris to Newark to Columbus, but there's only about 1 1/2 hour layover in Newark. Is that enough time to get through customs and to the connecting flight (assuming the flight is on time)? If we miss it, we'd probably have to stay overnight in the airport so if it's not doable, I may look at later times out of Paris and get in the next day. I do feel a little weird about flying on September 11 though.

LauriePersonally, I try to leave at least 2 hours between flights, but I'm not as strict about coming back as I am about going. I've never been through Newark, so I don't know from personal experience. I came back from Spain via Chicago, and ended up with a lot of extra time. But it's such a toss-up.

I know what you mean about 9/11, but if that's what works, that's what works. I'm still trying to decide. What airline are you looking at?

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
01-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I checked out the website for St. Paul's Cathedral. Every Sunday they have a free 30 minute organ recital and based on the itinerary, we should have free time that afternoon. That was a big item in Mike's "to do" list for the trip.:thumbsup2

sayhello
01-16-2011, 06:18 PM

LaurieI checked a Trip Report on K&L from 2007, and on that tour they definitely did not go into St. Paul's Cathedral. Another from 2009 did not mention St. Paul's at all. I don't think they've changed the itinerary on this tour that much over the years. Good catch! I will definitely have to be sure to see it either before the trip or during our "free time"!

Sayhello

belle41379
01-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Fantastic!! Thanks for that link, Kevin. Looks like we have a ton of free time in London. Good thing our guides will be ready to tell me where to go in both places, since we've never been to either before. :). Can't wait!!!!

apurplebrat
01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I checked out the website for St. Paul's Cathedral. Every Sunday they have a free 30 minute organ recital and based on the itinerary, we should have free time that afternoon. That was a big item in Mike's "to do" list for the trip.:thumbsup2

This sounds wonderful!