PDA

View Full Version : London / Paris Here We Come!!! 9/2 - 9/10/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

sayhello
07-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Versus is the US tv channel that shows the Tour de France. I doubt it plays in Canada.Huh. I obviously don't get it on my not-digital cable... Thanks for the explanation. Guess I'll just have to go see "Midnight in Paris" as a few of my friends have suggested!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe I can talk DW into heading over to King's Cross Station....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/King%27s_Cross_platform_7.jpg/800px-King%27s_Cross_platform_7.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2059494008_55ac15c26f_z.jpg

sayhello
07-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Maybe I can talk DW into heading over to King's Cross Station....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2059494008_55ac15c26f_z.jpgI am definitely doing that at some point while I'm in London!!!!

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
07-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Maybe I can talk DW into heading over to King's Cross Station...

I am definitely doing that at some point while I'm in London!!!!

Sayhello

That sounds like something on Flattie Ian's travel agenda for sure. :thumbsup2 I'm not a Harry Potter fan, so I may need a translator.....

k5jmh
07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
There is a tube line not far from the hotel that will take us straight to Kings Cross

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/www/Capture7-24-2011-7.36.15%20PM.jpg

A is the Hotel
B is King's Cross Station

Chropistopy
07-24-2011, 08:21 PM
There is a tube line not far from the hotel that will take us straight to Kings Cross

A is the Hotel

Definitely on my to do list!!

Sarabi's Cubs
07-24-2011, 10:11 PM

A is the Hotel

It's on my to-do list as well!

Laurie

BriarRosie
07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
You just KNOW I would love a photo op at King's Cross, too! I am a Potter geek, too!

k5jmh
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM

tardis1029
07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Hello all - This is Micki ( John's wife . Mrs Tardis ...LOL:rotfl2: ) I have a question on Packing for our ABD adventure.... Seriously what will the weather be like in London and Paris during the time of year we are going? and with all of the restrictions on luggage weight, I want to be able to pack correctly. Do any of the ladies out there have your packing list ready yet ? Capri's, skirts, Jeans, Light shirts, heavy shirts, jumpers!! ( thank you Gavin and Becky for their handy conversion sheet :love: I'm still working on it !!) etc.OH MY !! What do we need for dinner at Foxtrot ? what about shoes, sneakers, dress shoes, walking shoes...except for that fact that we are following a person with a large white ABD Adventures sign and the camera hanging from my neck ( which I may put in a large bag ) I don't want to look like a complete tourist :rotfl:. Deciding what to pack is never part of the FUN :confused3 for me so any and all ideas are gratefully accepted. :laundy: Thanks :flower3: Micki

Becx N Gav
07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Hello all - This is Micki ( John's wife . Mrs Tardis ...LOL:rotfl2: ) I have a question on Packing for our ABD adventure.... Seriously what will the weather be like in London and Paris during the time of year we are going? and with all of the restrictions on luggage weight, I want to be able to pack correctly. Do any of the ladies out there have your packing list ready yet ? Capri's, skirts, Jeans, Light shirts, heavy shirts, jumpers!! ( thank you Gavin and Becky for their handy conversion sheet :love: I'm still working on it !!) etc.OH MY !! What do we need for dinner at Foxtrot ? what about shoes, sneakers, dress shoes, walking shoes...except for that fact that we are following a person with a large white ABD Adventures sign and the camera hanging from my neck ( which I may put in a large bag ) I don't want to look like a complete tourist :rotfl:. Deciding what to pack is never part of the FUN :confused3 for me so any and all ideas are gratefully accepted. :laundy: Thanks :flower3: Micki

Plan for pretty much everything (apart from snow!) :lmao:

Really it could be nice and warm (and London is normally a degree or 2 warmer than other parts), it could rain the whole time (I don't think it will as it's been quite wet recently), it could be a mixture - 1 minute nice and sunny the next rain! I'd pack layers and definately bring waterproof jackets.

Paris I think is fairly similar, may even be nicer as we're on an island.

Chropistopy
07-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I bought a ticket for the Buckingham Palace tour for 3:00 on the 3rd. I don't know if I'll end up doing all the parts of the tour, but wanted to have a ticket in case it works out. There are so many things I want to see, and so few minutes to see them!

I'm attempting to buy tickets for the same date and time. I'm having issues...First, my bank decided to shut my card down for "suspicious charges". I got that straightened out and now the website is saying that the server is overloaded and to check back later.

On the bright side, I went ahead and let my bank know the dates I will be traveling so hopefully I won't have the same issues on the actual trip. Buying Buckingham Palace tickets forced me to accomplish one of my to do items. YAY!

Yvet
07-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Uhm you never know, in France and Italy it snowed last week about 5 inches...... Just saying :littleangel:

MinnieGarden
07-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Really it could be nice and warm (and London is normally a degree or 2 warmer than other parts), it could rain the whole time (I don't think it will as it's been quite wet recently), it could be a mixture - 1 minute nice and sunny the next rain! I'd pack layers and definately bring waterproof jackets.

Paris I think is fairly similar, may even be nicer as we're on an island.

Uhm you never know, in France and Italy it snowed last week about 5 inches...... Just saying :littleangel:

:faint: Must start seriously considering the packing list...... Travelsmith.com is having a sale that ends on Wednesday. May need to check it out... again! :eek:

Chropistopy
07-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm attempting to buy tickets for the same date and time. I'm having issues...First, my bank decided to shut my card down for "suspicious charges". I got that straightened out and now the website is saying that the server is overloaded and to check back later.

On the bright side, I went ahead and let my bank know the dates I will be traveling so hopefully I won't have the same issues on the actual trip. Buying Buckingham Palace tickets forced me to accomplish one of my to do items. YAY!

SUCCESS!! I finally got through. Buckingham Palace tickets secured! :cool1:

sayhello
07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Hello all - This is Micki ( John's wife . Mrs Tardis ...LOL:rotfl2: ) I have a question on Packing for our ABD adventure.... Seriously what will the weather be like in London and Paris during the time of year we are going? and with all of the restrictions on luggage weight, I want to be able to pack correctly. Do any of the ladies out there have your packing list ready yet ? Capri's, skirts, Jeans, Light shirts, heavy shirts, jumpers!! ( thank you Gavin and Becky for their handy conversion sheet :love: I'm still working on it !!) etc.OH MY !! What do we need for dinner at Foxtrot ? what about shoes, sneakers, dress shoes, walking shoes...except for that fact that we are following a person with a large white ABD Adventures sign and the camera hanging from my neck ( which I may put in a large bag ) I don't want to look like a complete tourist :rotfl:. Deciding what to pack is never part of the FUN :confused3 for me so any and all ideas are gratefully accepted. :laundy: Thanks :flower3: MickiI've been dreading asking myself this very same question. It's been such a bizarre year weather-wise! I don't *think* Foxtrot Oscar is fancy (most places say "relaxed"), but I'm totally clueless as to what we should wear to The Lion King!

At least I know we won't be doing any actual hiking like I've done on my other ABD's. But I'm still totally at a loss. :confused3

Sayhello

BriarRosie
07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
SUCCESS!! I finally got through. Buckingham Palace tickets secured! :cool1:

Ok, you and Heather are doing 3pm on the 3rd, I think it's time to commit to doing it, too. I'm a procrastinator. :rolleyes:

sayhello
07-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Paris I think is fairly similar, may even be nicer as we're on an island.When you say "nice and warm", what temperature do you mean? Everybody has a different definition of "warm". :)

Uhm you never know, in France and Italy it snowed last week about 5 inches...... Just saying :littleangel::scared1::scared1::scared1:

SUCCESS!! I finally got through. Buckingham Palace tickets secured! :cool1:Congrats! It's a hot ticket now that Kate's wedding dress is on display!

Sayhello

BriarRosie
07-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, I'm screwed. The website for tickets is "busy" so I can't buy them at this time. I'll have to cross my fingers that later, I can buy tickets.

sayhello
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Well, I'm screwed. The website for tickets is "busy" so I can't buy them at this time. I'll have to cross my fingers that later, I can buy tickets.I'd just keep trying back. It's like 6:45 pm in London, if you wait a bit, all the Brits may go to bed... :confused3

Sayhello

Chropistopy
07-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Definitely keep trying!!! I had to try multiple times this morning.

BriarRosie
07-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Definitely keep trying!!! I had to try multiple times this morning.

Dang backwards calendar thing almost got me! I had to remember day/month instead of the American way. Gah. That's my V-8 moment for tonight. :laughing:

Chropistopy
07-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Dang backwards calendar thing almost got me! I had to remember day/month instead of the American way. Gah. That's my V-8 moment for tonight. :laughing:

It got me for a second too. :lmao: I'm so glad you got your ticket!!

Chropistopy
07-26-2011, 07:57 AM
When you say "nice and warm", what temperature do you mean? Everybody has a different definition of "warm". :)

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Sayhello

Good question. I've been living in 90 - 100 degree weather for the last couple of months. 60 or 70 degrees would feel pretty cool to me right now. On the Backstage Magic trip in July last year, I ended up wearing a jacket a good portion of the time. My body just didn't adjust quickly enough to the cooler weather although other people were in shorts.

k5jmh
07-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Holy crap! 36 days!!

I am sitting at the Doctor's office and thinking "will I dream in the 'King's English'?"

DisneyKevin
07-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Besides Kate's dress.....the Royal Faberge collection will be on display.

That's very exciting.

sayhello
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Holy crap! 36 days!!

I am sitting at the Doctor's office and thinking "will I dream in the 'King's English'?"Can you speak the King's English? :confused3

Good question. I've been living in 90 - 100 degree weather for the last couple of months. 60 or 70 degrees would feel pretty cool to me right now. On the Backstage Magic trip in July last year, I ended up wearing a jacket a good portion of the time. My body just didn't adjust quickly enough to the cooler weather although other people were in shorts.Also true. But right now, 60 or 70 would be HEAVEN!

Besides Kate's dress.....the Royal Faberge collection will be on display.

That's very exciting.That *is* exciting! I saw the Russian Faberge collection a few years back in Cleveland, and it's VERY impressive!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
We just ordered our Oyster Cards for London!!

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/projectsandschemes/communityandeducation/safetyandcitizenship/images/photo/bus-2-2.jpg

skunkvette
07-26-2011, 01:41 PM
I ordered some British Pounds and Euros today from our bank, should be in by Thursday.

By the way -

Ou est la boite?

k5jmh
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
I ordered some British Pounds and Euros today from our bank, should be in by Thursday.

By the way -

Ou est la boite?

Just picked ours up from the bank!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Boards/pound%20%281%29.jpg

sayhello
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
We just ordered our Oyster Cards for London!!

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/projectsandschemes/communityandeducation/safetyandcitizenship/images/photo/bus-2-2.jpgOoo, cool! I need to do that. How many £££ did you put on it?

By the way -

Ou est la boite?I ordered some on Saturday. The bank already has them, but I won't have a chance to pick them up until next Saturday.

I'm trying to work out getting from the Airport to Winchester for my pre-days, but I have no idea what terminal I'll be landing in. It looks like the bus to Woking, then the train to Winchester. I hope it's easy to do with luggage. But it must be. I'm sure people do it every day? :confused3

Then I have to do it from Winchester to London. This is the downside of pre-days. No Adventure Guides to whisk me and my luggage where I need to go! :rolleyes1

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Latest DLP refurb update.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/07/disneyland-paris-update.html

Here is a new Disneyland Paris update with pictures shot this month by my good friend Mouetto of Disney Central Plaza forum. We'll begin with pictures of the latest refurbishment all around the park. Above and below some pictures of Sleeping Beauty Castle still under repainting although it will be finished very soon. I still think that the new pink-blue-gold colors are a bit too strong and makes the castle look a bit like a "Barbie" castle but it's also true that Paris weather will tone down all the colors along the years, so...

Next, let's move to Adventureland where Captain Hook galleon is also in refurbishment and even more than that as they're not going to repair the galleon but literally replace it by a brand new one which will be put in place with the help of a crane in the next months. The previous one is in such amazing bad condition - as you will see on the pictures below - that in fact they didn't had the choice. Works were supposed to begin last April to end next September but apparently it took longer than expected.

From what i've been told, one of the reason of this delay might be that the company which is building the new galleon was waiting for the original blueprints...and it seems that they were lost (!) Whether this is true or not DLP guests should have soon a brand new galleon, build in stronger materials (let's hope that it won't be built in full fiber glass instead of wood) with more dramatic colors, a mix of red and black, with red color on the cannons instead of black, and front and rear of the boat will be painted in gold. All this to give to the galleon a look which will work both for a "Captain Hook" or a "Jack Sparrow" theming... Right now, the scaffolding that you can see on the pictures is there to prepare the old structure to be lifted properly.

Good news, in Discoveryland the Orbitron is back and this time the "planets" are moving again! On the picture below shot early July the Orbitron was still waiting for its planets...

...but on the videos below filmed July 12 and 13 everything was there. If you look at the videos you'll see that these planets are now turning as they were on opening day.

ith this next video of the Orbitron, shot on a sunny day, you'll have a better view of the moving planets.

And what about DLP future, you ask? What about Star Tours 2 or the awaited Ratatouille ride at the WDS? Well, nothing. I mean, nothing new, no official announcement yet. The last rumors are saying that the ride is now green lit as the funding had finally been secured but i will believe it totally when it will be officially announced.

However, something interesting happened recently when John Lasseter came to the park. On the official picture below you'll see him in front of DLP castle and there is no doubt that John was there for the promotion of Cars 2 now opening in France, but John Lasseter was also spotted at the WDS on the new Ratatouille road, near Toy Story Playland, close to the future Ratatouille area...and he was not alone as Tom Fitzgerald, Executive Vice President and Senior Creative Executive, and Chrissie Allen, Senior Show Producer, joined him for this very private meeting - see photo HERE. There is no doubt that a meeting in this location is in relation with the Ratatouille ride, so may be it's a good sign. WDI Imagineers will need 18 months to build the ride and mini-land, so let's hope the works will begin soon if they want to be ready for a 2013 opening.

Let's end with a crazy story which happened last saturday at the Disneyland park where a man was arrested for "fake bomb alert". Basically, it was raining that day and the french guy was upset to have been waiting under the rain - and he didn't wanted to sit in the vehicles because they were wet... Then the 57 years old guy, becoming more upset, didn't found anything better than saying that he had a bomb with him! DLP security arrived, and soon the guy was arrested. The ride was stopped for one hour, they searched if he had really a bomb with him and of course no bomb was found as it was just a stupid joke. The only problem is that under the french law the guy can be punished for this fake bomb alert by two years in jail or a 30000 euros fine! Next time he'll be more patient, although a lot of french are totally unable to be patient... More about this bomb hoax HERE (http://connexionfrance.com/disneyland-paris-evacuated-unhappy-customer-bomb-hoax-arrested-police-fine-12901-view-article.html).

k5jmh
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Ooo, cool! I need to do that. How many £££ did you put on it?

We did £15 per card. AND IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE, THAT YOU NEED 1 CARD PER PERSON. You can not use the card for two people that are traveling together on the bus, train, or boat.

(Happy 3000 to me!!!) :woohoo: :woohoo:

Circusgirl
07-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Ok, you and Heather are doing 3pm on the 3rd, I think it's time to commit to doing it, too. I'm a procrastinator. :rolleyes:

My ticket packet just arrived. I'm delighted that we can do the tour together!

My currency is in at the bank, and the basic Pimsleur French conversation course was so fun that I ordered the next level, which should be here in the next few days.

It's all starting to seem very real!

Becx N Gav
07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Good question. I've been living in 90 - 100 degree weather for the last couple of months. 60 or 70 degrees would feel pretty cool to me right now. On the Backstage Magic trip in July last year, I ended up wearing a jacket a good portion of the time. My body just didn't adjust quickly enough to the cooler weather although other people were in shorts.

This is what I'd expect, maybe even 60 to 70 in the same day! We tend to feel VERY cold coming back from Florida :cold:

Mike you may find shops don't take £50 notes, try and change it at the hotel or they may let you know the best place. Places like Harrods should be ok.

This link mentions possible reasons, I'd hate for you to get stuck trying to spend it! http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090917112143AAvwtmI

Sarabi's Cubs
07-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Is there an advantage to buying the Oyster cards ahead of time???

Laurie

tardis1029
07-26-2011, 05:51 PM

It must be the weather. We did ours today :lmao:

MinnieGarden
07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Laurie

No Laurie, I don't really think there's an advantage. We just wanted to get as much done before we get there as possible. :thumbsup2

BriarRosie
07-26-2011, 06:34 PM
My ticket packet just arrived. I'm delighted that we can do the tour together!

I know, me too! :hug:

Laurie

I was not planning on getting the Oyster card until I got there. But I have heard our credit cards won't work in their automatic Oyster card machines, but I think there should be a ticket booth to do it manually.

I've gotten my "starter money" a while ago. And I do have a 50 note of both currencies I planned to change into smaller currency when we were at our hotels. I don't like using anything higher than a $20 bill here, either.

Circusgirl
07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
It must be the weather. We did ours today :lmao:

Moi, aussi!

brer_rabbit
07-27-2011, 05:49 AM
I'm trying to work out getting from the Airport to Winchester for my pre-days, but I have no idea what terminal I'll be landing in. It looks like the bus to Woking, then the train to Winchester. I hope it's easy to do with luggage. But it must be. I'm sure people do it every day? :confused3

Then I have to do it from Winchester to London. This is the downside of pre-days. No Adventure Guides to whisk me and my luggage where I need to go! :rolleyes1

Sayhello

Hey there. I live in Woking so can help you with your trip plan! Are you flying into London Heathrow? If so you need the RailAir bus to Woking which departs from all terminals. Once at Woking you can easily get a train to Winchester, it would probably take about 40 minutes. If you buy your train ticket at the ticket office they can tell you when the next train is, what platform etc. There are elevators for each platform so not too difficult with luggage! Winchester to London is also an easy trip, takes about 1hr 20mins - you'll arrive at London Waterloo (near the London Eye).
PM me if you need any more help :thumbsup2

sayhello
07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
We did £15 per card. AND IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE, THAT YOU NEED 1 CARD PER PERSON. You can not use the card for two people that are traveling together on the bus, train, or boat.

(Happy 3000 to me!!!) :woohoo: :woohoo:Cool. That's about how much I was going to put on it.

Hey there. I live in Woking so can help you with your trip plan! Are you flying into London Heathrow? If so you need the RailAir bus to Woking which departs from all terminals. Once at Woking you can easily get a train to Winchester, it would probably take about 40 minutes. If you buy your train ticket at the ticket office they can tell you when the next train is, what platform etc. There are elevators for each platform so not too difficult with luggage! Winchester to London is also an easy trip, takes about 1hr 20mins - you'll arrive at London Waterloo (near the London Eye).
PM me if you need any more help :thumbsup2Thank you! That is perfect. I was thinking of purchasing the ticket ahead of time, to include the bus and the train in one ticket. It *says* on the website that you can change the time if you need to, as long as it's the same day? And that is perfect about the train from Winchester taking me to London Waterloo! The hotel I'm staying at for my pre-nights is right near Waterloo station and the London Eye!

Is it difficult to manage luggage on the train? How do they handle that? Do you check in your luggage like on a plane, or lug it on the train yourself & find a spot to stow it?

Thanks again for the great info!

Sayhello

sayhello
07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
OMG!!! I leave for London in ONE MONTH from TODAY!!! I'M NOT READY!!!!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Um, Honey, Um, no pants for you!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8666071/200-year-old-Paris-trouser-ban-for-women-may-finally-be-repealed.html

By Henry Samuel, Paris 4:20PM BST 27 Jul 2011

Women in Paris may soon be legally allowed to wear trousers after a female French senator called for a 200-year old ban technically still in place to be lifted.

The bizarre ban was first introduced in late 1799 by Paris' police chief, and stipulated than any woman wishing to "dress like a man" must seek special permission from police and provide medical justification for showing their legs.
This makes the laissez-faire French capital theoretically more hardline than Islamic states like Sudan on the dress code front.
"I discovered this order this year, I was amazed," said Maryvonne Blondin, a French senator who filed a bill in the Senate last month calling for the ban to be finally repealed. She hopes it will be approved soon.
The ban was imposed in Paris shortly after the Revolution is still in effect today despite the inclusion in the 1946 French Constitution of an article stating that "the law guarantees women equal rights with men in all areas."
In 1892 it was slightly relaxed thanks to an amendment which said trousers were permitted "as long as the woman is holding the reins of a horse".
Then in 1909, the decree was further watered down when an extra clause was added to allow women in trousers on condition they were "on a bicycle or holding it by the handlebars".
In 1969, amid a global movement towards gender equality, the Paris council asked the city's police chief to bin the decree. His response was: "It is unwise to change texts which foreseen or unforeseen variations in fashion can return to the fore."
The rule is already contradicted by legislation that has made men and women equal in the eyes of the French constitution since 1946. Given that trousers are compulsory for Parisian policewoman, they are in theory all breaking the law.
Last year, the Council of Paris tried to have the text deleted, but police headquarters in the French capital said it was already "legal archaeology" and was not a priority.
President Nicolas Sarkozy has promised to set aside special time for parliament to review old French laws that should be repealed.
Elected officials in France's lower and upper houses of parliament have only enjoyed the right to sit in trousers since 1980.
In 1972, former justice minister Michele Alliot-Marie – then an MP – won admirers by entering the National Assembly in the offending item.
When stopped by a bailiff, she exclaimed: "If my trousers are bothering you, I'll take them off as soon as possible."

apurplebrat
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
We picked up our British Pounds and Euros at the bank tonight!
:dance3::dance3::dance3:

OKW Lover
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Inquiring minds want to know....

Are British Pounds heavy? :rolleyes1

brer_rabbit
07-28-2011, 04:33 AM
Cool. That's about how much I was going to put on it.

Thank you! That is perfect. I was thinking of purchasing the ticket ahead of time, to include the bus and the train in one ticket. It *says* on the website that you can change the time if you need to, as long as it's the same day? And that is perfect about the train from Winchester taking me to London Waterloo! The hotel I'm staying at for my pre-nights is right near Waterloo station and the London Eye!

Is it difficult to manage luggage on the train? How do they handle that? Do you check in your luggage like on a plane, or lug it on the train yourself & find a spot to stow it?

Thanks again for the great info!

Sayhello

No problem :thumbsup2 the trains to Winchester don't usually have much luggage space but you can fit them near the doorways - just have to be creative! If it isn't busy you can keep it next to your seat. There are luggage trolleys on the platforms at Waterloo as well.
On the RailAir bus the driver will store it for you :thumbsup2
Not sure about tickets I'm afraid. The train to Winchester is operated by South West Trains - their website is here:
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

k5jmh
07-28-2011, 06:11 AM
34 days!!!!!!

belle41379
07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
WOW! I am WAY behind!! :scared1::scared1: Life has definitely delt us some "situations" the past few months and I haven't been able to keep up on the boards or on our planning.

I'll definitely be using the list of threads Mike made (thanks Mike!!). It may be too late to join you all on the extra stuff...:sick: Hopefully not.

I've called a mandatory trip planning meeting for Michael and I tonight once the kids are all in bed. Hopefully I'll feel better after that.

Oh, and Christy, this is my Vera carryon. I love the hidden pocket that can slide the bag over a suitcase handle. Thought it would look tres chique in Paris. :lovestruc. Mine is the Imperial Toile pattern. :)

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Whats-New/Metropolitan/1001059/defaultColor/Very%20Berry%20Paisley/pc/638/p/1001059/sc/786/c/0.uts

Chropistopy
07-28-2011, 08:12 AM
WOW! I am WAY behind!! :scared1::scared1: Life has definitely delt us some "situations" the past few months and I haven't been able to keep up on the boards or on our planning.

I'll definitely be using the list of threads Mike made (thanks Mike!!). It may be too late to join you all on the extra stuff...:sick: Hopefully not.

I've called a mandatory trip planning meeting for Michael and I tonight once the kids are all in bed. Hopefully I'll feel better after that.

Oh, and Christy, this is my Vera carryon. I love the hidden pocket that can slide the bag over a suitcase handle. Thought it would look tres chique in Paris. :lovestruc. Mine is the Imperial Toile pattern. :)

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Whats-New/Metropolitan/1001059/defaultColor/Very%20Berry%20Paisley/pc/638/p/1001059/sc/786/c/0.uts

Very nice! I love that pattern!

As far as the extras...I was able to book a Buckingham Palace ticket this week without too much trouble. There's a group going on Friday the 2nd and Heather, Lori and I are going on Saturday the 3rd at 3:00. Keep those dates in mind if you're planning on getting those tickets.

I also purchased a ticket to tour St. Paul's on Friday the 2nd. That's what I plan to do after I get checked in at the hotel and before the welcome reception. I would love to have company if anyone wants to join me. I just don't know the exact time I'll be at the hotel. My flight gets in a little after 12:00.

Chropistopy
07-28-2011, 08:15 AM
34 days!!!!!!

I will be leaving 5 weeks from today!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

k5jmh
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
The London Underground is now on Google Maps as of today...

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/catch-london-underground-with-google.html

Starting today, you can get public transport directions for London within Google Maps. One of Europe’s largest metropolitan areas, London is a major destination for both business travelers and tourists. More than 1 billion passengers are serviced by Transport for London (TfL) every year across over 18,000 bus stops and over 250 Underground stations.

Let’s say you’re at Trafalgar Square, and you want to visit Madame Tussauds. With a simple directions search, you’ll see all the possible public transport connections. In Maps, click “Get directions” in the left-hand panel, and then the train icon to see public transport directions. Enter your departure location next to A, and your destination next to B. These can be either street addresses or names of popular places, businesses or restaurants. When you’re done, click the “Get directions” button and suggestions for your trip will appear below.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-11nSx3F6mbE/TjCfL9Am2XI/AAAAAAAAIUU/J-Tn6h7TThQ/s1600/London_Transit_Query.png

Public transport directions are available on both Google Maps and Google Maps for mobile, so you always have access to a trip planner. When you’re on mobile, Maps even uses your current location to determine the best trip to your destination. Just search for your destination location, select it on the map and choose the “Directions” option. The suggested trips will be based on your location by default, and provide you multiple alternatives whenever possible.

If you’re using an Android-powered device, you can also get public transport directions with Transit Navigation (Beta) in Google Maps. With this new feature, which we launched earlier this month, you’ll get alerts when it’s time to get off the bus or train at your destination or to make a transfer. Transit Navigation is available in all regions where public transport directions are available, including London.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L2A-0wPHAGk/TjF_7WIyadI/AAAAAAAAIUc/xO4b2cJzH1U/s1600/London_Transit_Navigation_2.png

TfL is among the first agencies in a major European city to make its timetable information publicly available through the London Datastore. We’re strong supporters of open data and bringing information out into the open, and believe that making information publicly accessible can be an enormous engine of economic growth and innovation. ITO World has been a great partner in this launch by ensuring TfL’s data was adapted correctly and ready for our use.

Public transport directions are available for all Underground, bus, tram and Docklands Light Railway (DLR) lines, and we’ll include more public transport information as soon as it’s available. Whether you use public transport every day or infrequently, as a commuter, on a business trip or as a tourist, we hope that public transport directions in London make planning your trips more convenient!

BriarRosie
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM

As far as the extras...I was able to book a Buckingham Palace ticket this week without too much trouble. There's a group going on Friday the 2nd and Heather, Lori and I are going on Saturday the 3rd at 3:00. Keep those dates in mind if you're planning on getting those tickets.

I also purchased a ticket to tour St. Paul's on Friday the 2nd. That's what I plan to do after I get checked in at the hotel and before the welcome reception. I would love to have company if anyone wants to join me. I just don't know the exact time I'll be at the hotel. My flight gets in a little after 12:00.

I planned to walk to the British Museum when I get in. My flight is scheduled to arrive about 45 minutes earlier.

MinnieGarden
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Yet another reason to visit Harrod's..... their Christmas boutique is open! :santa:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2019686/Harrods-Christmas-JULY-The-festive-countdown-begins-151-days-early.html

BriarRosie
07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Yet another reason to visit Harrod's..... their Christmas boutique is open! :santa:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2019686/Harrods-Christmas-JULY-The-festive-countdown-begins-151-days-early.html

While you're all gushing over the Christmas stuff, I can mosey over to the food court there. :rotfl2:

sayhello
07-28-2011, 01:23 PM

http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Whats-New/Metropolitan/1001059/defaultColor/Very%20Berry%20Paisley/pc/638/p/1001059/sc/786/c/0.utsI hope your "situations" are resolved! We gonna get together? :yay:

I like that carryon! I might just have to buy me a new one...

I also purchased a ticket to tour St. Paul's on Friday the 2nd. That's what I plan to do after I get checked in at the hotel and before the welcome reception. I would love to have company if anyone wants to join me. I just don't know the exact time I'll be at the hotel. My flight gets in a little after 12:00.You need a ticket to visit St. Paul's? Yipes! That's on my list!

While you're all gushing over the Christmas stuff, I can mosey over to the food court there. :rotfl2:My hairdresser told me the Food Court at Harrod's is EPIC!

Sayhello

sayhello
07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
No problem :thumbsup2 the trains to Winchester don't usually have much luggage space but you can fit them near the doorways - just have to be creative! If it isn't busy you can keep it next to your seat. There are luggage trolleys on the platforms at Waterloo as well.
On the RailAir bus the driver will store it for you :thumbsup2
Not sure about tickets I'm afraid. The train to Winchester is operated by South West Trains - their website is here:
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Thanks so much for all your help! :goodvibes

Sayhello

apurplebrat
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Can not wait to visit Harrods :yay:

k5jmh
07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
This came with our post-adventure apartment info today.

FYI!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283954_1891373320184_1117025522_31654237_7392308_n .jpg

belle41379
07-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Well, we are getting things sorted out. Michael has a collegue that will be taking us around on the 1st.

I'm having trouble booking the Royal Day Out tour for the 2nd. The link isn't working, and we can't find anything called that on the website. Any ideas?? :confused3

Hopefully we can join you at Foxtrot.

When are folks planning to visit Harrods?

Are there any things planned since Mike posted the links on page 71?

Has anyone received their box yet?

ETA: he finally found a way in. :) Purchased The Royal Day Out with entrance to the Queens Gallery at 10am. :)

I'm getting so excited!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

skunkvette
07-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Well, we are getting things sorted out. Michael has a collegue that will be taking us around on the 1st.

I'm having trouble booking the Royal Day Out tour for the 2nd. The link isn't working, and we can't find anything called that on the website. Any ideas?? :confused3

Hopefully we can join you at Foxtrot.

When are folks planning to visit Harrods?

Are there any things planned since Mike posted the links on page 71?

Has anyone received their box yet?

ETA: he finally found a way in. :) Purchased The Royal Day Out with entrance to the Queens Gallery at 10am. :)

I'm getting so excited!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

No box yet.

I sent Foxtrot Oscar a request to add to our reservation, I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Frank

belle41379
07-29-2011, 08:44 AM
No box yet.

I sent Foxtrot Oscar a request to add to our reservation, I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Frank

Thanks Frank! Keeping our fingers crossed...

Cynthia

skunkvette
07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks Frank! Keeping our fingers crossed...

Cynthia

Cynthia,

Just heard back from Foxtrot Oscar, you and Michael are now included in our reservation.

It will be a great time!

Frank

belle41379
07-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Cynthia,

Just heard back from Foxtrot Oscar, you and Michael are now included in our reservation.

It will be a great time!

Frank

:woohoo::banana::yay: Thanks so much Frank! So glad you took on the challenge of organizing this. :thumbsup2

Chropistopy
07-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Boxes containing shoes and clothing have started arriving at the house. Now if only that other box would arrive...

belle41379
07-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Boxes containing shoes and clothing have started arriving at the house. Now if only that other box would arrive...

I know! I'm starting to think the whole trip was a strange and wonderful dream...except for the money missing from the checking account. :rotfl2:

((insert smile of me looking hopelessly out the window for the box to arrive))

sayhello
07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Boxes containing shoes and clothing have started arriving at the house. Now if only that other box would arrive...Oooo! I wish someone would send me shoes & clothing! :)

I know! I'm starting to think the whole trip was a strange and wonderful dream...except for the money missing from the checking account. :rotfl2:

((insert smile of me looking hopelessly out the window for the box to arrive))We wants our boxes!!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Got a SteadyCam for our trip!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198697_1894902408409_1117025522_31659029_8061943_n .jpg

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
For those of you that ordered currency through your bank, how long did it take for the order to come in. Anyone order through Wells Fargo?

This is one of the many things I still need to do and trying to decide when I need to get it done.

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 10:37 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198697_1894902408409_1117025522_31659029_8061943_n .jpg

Are you taking a separate bag just for all of your equipment? :goodvibes Very nice!

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I ordered mine on a Friday and it was at the Bank (Chase) the following Monday morning.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Are you taking a separate bag just for all of your equipment? :goodvibes Very nice!

I can not confirm or deny. :rotfl2:

skunkvette
08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
For those of you that ordered currency through your bank, how long did it take for the order to come in. Anyone order through Wells Fargo?

This is one of the many things I still need to do and trying to decide when I need to get it done.

My order took a day.

My only comments when I received the order were - why isn't there more and why is it in such funny colors?

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Good to hear that the currency orders are not taking very long. I'll probably make a stop at the bank on Saturday then.

With the Border's stores going out of business, I found some pretty good deals yesterday. I picked up a few journals...some of which have a Paris cover. Hopefully, I will be inspired to use one to at least take some notes on the trip so that I can complete a trip report upon our return. I also picked up a couple of maps (London and Paris) as well as a Paris for Dummies book. I'm having fun flipping through it. Outside of the sites of the Paris portion of the tour, I really only want to make sure to visit Montmarte. The book seems to have a pretty good Montmarte walking tour outlined in it.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Looks like we will just miss the European vacation blitz!

Eurostar is set for a bumper summer

July 6th 2011

Eurostar, the high-speed passenger service between the UK and mainland Europe is scheduling 16 extra services on its London to Paris route, and seven extra services on its London to Disneyland Paris routes this summer to meet heightened demand.
Over 950,000 passengers are expected to travel on Eurostar in July alone making this a bumper summer for high speed rail travel.

http://www.railwaypeople.com/filemanager/cms/1309946902.gif

Nick Mercer, Commercial Director for Eurostar said: "In addition to a significant increase in the number of passengers taking our direct services, we're seeing more and more passengers connect beyond Paris, Lille and Brussels.

"With convenient connections, fast journey times and clear environmental advantages people across the UK are starting to see how easy it is to travel across Europe by high speed rail.

"From destinations like Provence to Bruges, Amsterdam and Cologne, the increase in people booking connecting journeys with Eurostar is helping to fuel a rail renaissance."

Eurostar will run 16 extra services on its London to Paris route from the 8 - 31 July on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Seven extra services will run on the London to Disneyland Paris route between 19 July and 27 August, with prices on all services starting from £69 return.

Journey times between London and Disneyland Paris on the Eurostar are only two and half hours, London and Amsterdam and London and Cologne are just over four hours and between London and Avignon it's less than six hours.

Passengers can also take advantage of generous and free baggage allowances and 30 minute check-in.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
So do they talk in French in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show @ DLP?

Oregon hat company adds Old West to Disney show

Thursday, July 28, 2011

PENDLETON, Ore. (AP) -- An Oregon hat company is adding a touch of the Old West to a Disney show in Paris.

Montana Peaks Hat Co. in Pendleton is the exclusive supplier of handmade, custom hat creations for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show at Disneyland Paris' Disney Village.

Company owner Laura Wortman and partner Richard Blackburn make replicas of the original hats worn by Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley along with Tom Mix replicas and open-crown styles that are worn in the show.

Hats by Montana Peaks have even made it to the big screen. Sissy Spacek wore one in "Streets of Laredo" and so did Paul Gross in the Canadian Western "Gunless."

Wortman and Blackburn make approximately 300 to 400 hats a year.

sayhello
08-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey, folks! Set your VCR's! Craig Ferguson, of CBS's Late, Late Show filmed all of this week's shows in Paris! He apparently went to Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, Moulin Rouge, etc.

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_late_show/

Sayhello

ADP
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Hmmmm....Expect an intensive pat-down at airports, transportaion hubs, landmarks, and other places of interest. ;)

BriarRosie
08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Good to hear that the currency orders are not taking very long. I'll probably make a stop at the bank on Saturday then.

With the Border's stores going out of business, I found some pretty good deals yesterday. I picked up a few journals...some of which have a Paris cover. Hopefully, I will be inspired to use one to at least take some notes on the trip so that I can complete a trip report upon our return. I also picked up a couple of maps (London and Paris) as well as a Paris for Dummies book. I'm having fun flipping through it. Outside of the sites of the Paris portion of the tour, I really only want to make sure to visit Montmarte. The book seems to have a pretty good Montmarte walking tour outlined in it.

I picked up a few books from my Border's run last week. I mostly bought them to be books I can thumb through after the trip, but a couple smaller, useful ones to take with me.

I bought the Rick Steves guides for both London and Paris, another Rick Steves pocket sized guide for London with fold-out map, and a pocket phrasebook that included French, German and Italian. I figured the French portion would be handy, and if I ever ventured to Germany or Italy someday, all the better.

I think Montmarte is the area of Moulin Rouge, right? And the Sacre Coeur (sp?) church, where people sit on the steps to get a panoramic view of the city below. I'd probably be up for that.

I still have to pick up some plug adapters for both countries. I figure I'm charging my phone or camera, so I won't need the converter.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
FYI, if you are taking electronics, if your device has the input rating pictured below, you will only need a plug adapter for your device in the UK and Paris.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Boards/Power.jpg

If it is not capable of 240v and 50hz then you will need a power adapter for the device.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmmmm....Expect an intensive pat-down at airports, transportaion hubs, landmarks, and other places of interest. ;)

Luckily, Aaron, I did not pick the one that was made out of tubular 1/2" conduit! :rotfl:

DisneyKevin
08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I have some interesting information for those on "box watch".

And I'm not telling.pirate:

DisneyKevin
08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Okay...I cant take the pressure.

Boxes are to be mailed tomorrow 8/2/2011.

Who will get theirs first?

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:03 PM

I think Kevin and John will get their's first, followed by Christy N.

belle41379
08-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Finally!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Me! Me! I want to get mine first! :woohoo:

Great news Kevin! Thanks for not being able to keep that one to yourself.:thumbsup2

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:04 PM

That didn't take very long for you to "cave.":rotfl2:

skunkvette
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM

I love how Kevin keeps secrets!

belle41379
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM

What is your plan for this one, Mike?

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
What is your plan for this one, Mike?

I want to run up to the Queen of England and get a shot like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5obMVBxAGA

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM

I am going to try and do some test shots this week and over the weekend at Christy's family reunion. I should have a bunch of 80+ year old relatives looking at me really funny! ;)

DisneyKevin
08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

They are sent from the Disney offices in Celebration, FL.

I wonder if I can just go get mine.:laughing:

DisneyKevin
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
And by the way....

Thursday night ABD Chat belongs to us now......

8pm ish.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Putting it back out there since we are 30 days out! :banana:

Main Trip Info - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39010870&postcount=1
Facinator 101 - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41134298&postcount=747
Foxtrot Oscar Thread - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2721747
Buckingham Palace - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41032946&postcount=671
London Airport Security - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41121821&postcount=740
Ceremony of the Keys @ The Tower of London - http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/whatson/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx
International Reply Coupons - http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm
Tube Map App - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39029289&postcount=46
Make Sure Kevin sends you a set of these - http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs403.ash2/68160_1506206611257_1117025522_31127102_976629_a.j pg

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Will Pete and Walter even see their box before they head out? Are they not on their "Travel-geddon?"

...wait, that was "Travel-palooza"

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
And by the way....

8pm ish.

I am sure that there will be a bunch of people living vicariously through us. :thumbsup2

belle41379
08-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Are you bringing your Segway too? :rotfl:

That's it. We will have to call you RoboMike. :lmao:

Seriously though, that is really neat!

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I hope we can make it over and see this at DLP while we are there. It runs until 9/12...

***as pointed out, this is in Belgium and not DLP***

Disneyland Paris Sand Sculptures

http://blog.mousekingdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Disney-Sand2-450x337.jpg

Last night it was special opening night for the Sand Sculpture Festival Blankenberge 2011 based on the MagicalMoments Festival of Disneyland Paris. It was going to be a magical night and a beginning of a wonderful summer at the Belgium coast side. The VIP’s, Press, friends, Disney Cast Members, Disney Ambassadors and fans where invitedto see the opening of a fantastic display made out of… sand!

The opening ceremony started with a small introduction about the project. The idea started by one of the artist while working on an ice sculpture event in Paris. This man is Alexander Deman. He contacted Disneyland Paris, met up in January and only 5 months later he and his team created a fantastic sand sculpture display of Disneyland Paris attractions and some of Disney’s most beloved characters. Alexander came to the stage and talked about the work and invited all artist on stage who where welcomed by a big applause from the public. The 2 Disney ambassadors Régis & Osvaldo visited especially from Paris and where impressed about what they saw here in Blankenberge. They where thrilled about what they witnessed today and loved being a part of it.

After the introduction it was time to officially open the event and who better then Mickey Mouse himself would be given the honors to open the gates for the first visitors.

The sand sculptures are divided in multiple areas. The first area guest can visit once they enter the festival is the Main Marquee. In front of this big tent Mickey Mouse and Minnie are awaiting the guests next to Disneyland Railroad. These figures look amazing and are only a small treat to what is still to come. Inside the Marquee guest are invited to screens showing some scenes of Disneyland Paris before they go around the corner where a bigger screen shows them how the artist have worked on the sand creations the last couple of months. You will see how they work on the Disney Characters and how they set up the big Sleeping Beauty Castle. Worth checking out before entering the main hall of the tent where the real work is shown.

Once inside the main room guest will see Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse showing the way trough the sculptures. There are a total of 52 Sculptures or scenes in this tent alone. Some of them big, others even bigger. Just beside Walt and Mickey you’ll find Main street. The detail is amazing, including name shields, birds and decorations, as we come to know and love them by Disney. Here your trip starts around the sculptures that include Tangled, Casey Jr., Dumbo, Snow White, Belle, Jasmine, Aladdin, Cinderella, Beast’s Castle, Pocahontas, Mulan, Ariel, Alice in Wonderland and many more. The displays are amazing, big, beautiful and created with eye for detail. A wonderful adventure for everybody who enters. Alice’s Curious Labyrinth for example is fun and extremely creative. A fantastic job by the artists.

Once your visit in the main marquee comes to an end you’ll be welcomed to even more amazing sand sculptures. The next 19 displays are some of the most beautiful of them all. They include The Sleeping Beauty Castle, Phantom Manor and boot hill (my personal favorite), Space Mountain and the Tower of Terror. A stunning display!

But it doesn’t end there! There is more. Inside the Round Marquee you’ll find some of Disney’s favorite characters from Jungle Book, the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction and the Lion King. Don’t miss those amazing displays, especially Skull Rock.

The smallest tent is the Pixar Marquee. As the name already suggest, you’ll find some of Pixar most beloved characters like Buzz, Sulley, Ratatouille and Wall-E.

http://blog.mousekingdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Disney-Sand14.jpg

There are 125 sand sculptures and displays. Enough to keep you and your whole family entertained for a couple of hours.

It’s pure magic and everybody working on this project should be proud. Well worth a visit as you will be enchanted and will want to drive straight on to Disneyland Paris afterwards. I know I did.

After the tour and to end this special opening there was one more magical moment awaiting us. A fantastic Fireworks display. Especially for this event the fantastic music of Illuminations was used. This is my favorite Disney experience in Walt Disney World and it was the cherry on the cake for this wonderful and magical event.

The Sand Sculptures Festival is open until September 12 from 10 AM to 7 PM. For more information on the event visit www.zandsculptuur.be

A visit is highly recommended to anybody, even if you havn’t been to Disneyland Paris (yet). It will put a smile on the faces of both young and old…

belle41379
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

It would probably be faster. :rotfl:

And by the way....

8pm ish.

Ooo, we are definitely in on this!

I am sure that there will be a bunch of people living vicariously through us. :thumbsup2

I bet so!

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Currency at DLP

Currency-Exchange
Money can be exchanged at different locations throughout the park and the Disney Village as well as the hotel receptions. But avoid changing small amounts to often as the exchange fee is not dpending on the amount exchanged! It is cheaper to use your credit-card or EC-Card to get money.

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Are you bringing your Segue too? :rotfl:

That's it. We will have to call you RoboMike. :lmao:

Seriously though, that is really neat!

No Segway :(

I figured I would just jump off the back of the bus! :thumbsup2

Carrie_Cat
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
The sand sculptures aren't at DLP they are in Belgium :goodvibes

There is a sand sculpture of the castle (thought I don't think it looks anything like it :sad2:) at Paris Plage this year from 21/7 - 21/8

http://www.paris.fr/english/english/paris-plages-the-programme-for-the-10th-event/rub_8118_actu_103541_port_19237

Focus on... Sleeping Beauty’s castle

From 21 July to 21 August- Notre-Dame Bridge

For its first involvement in Paris Plages, Disneyland Paris is recreating its famous castle on the Georges Pompidou Expressway. To create this 5-metre high construction, seven sculptors from five countries will work for 300 hours and will use 40 tons of sand. The public will be able to take part in this work during the first two days of the event. The transitory sculpture will be completed and inaugurated on 23 July, in the presence of Mickey Mouse in person. Not to mention the sandcastle competition which Disneyland will organise every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

belle41379
08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I asked this question on my FB page, and thought some of you might like to read a few of the responses.

To anyone who has visited London or Paris - any must do things, outside of the obvious attractions, or tips you can offer?

London... My favorites were the Tower of London (see the crown jewels, so much history and the Beefeaters are hilarious!!) and the theater district! If you have time, see a show in the West End! I recommend Les Mis! Amazing! Harrod's is also really neat. Another favorite was a visit to Abby Road. Try to copy the album in a picture, but be careful, it's actually a busy street!! lol

Paris.... we were only there for one day so I only know the touristy things. But really enjoyed having lunch up inside the Eiffel Tower. Sooooo cool :) The Lourve was amazing to see also. The real Mona Lisa is small.

There is PLENTY to do that is on the "usual" tourist rout. Big Ben, Westminster Abby, and Parliament are all right by each other. 2 things we enjoyed that are not on the usual route: Hamely's Toy Store and Afternoon Tea at the Ritz. Hamley's is like a 5 story toy store that your kids will LOVE! For tea at the Ritz, there is a dress code and you have to make reservations (if you want to do it you MIGHT be able to get them now; they book up in advance). With all the tea, sandwiches, and pastries, it is a lunch. Websites for both are below.
http://www.hamleys.com/
http://www.theritzlondon.c​om/tea/

The British Museum is AWESOME! And, it's free admission. You could spend a few days there if you really wanted.

Tower of London is really cool and the Tower Bridge (most call it London Bridge now) is right there too. Don't buy from the many street vendors near the tower; they are illegal and you can get in trouble for buying from them.

Last, GET A DAILY PASS FOR THE TUBE!!! The tube is safe and EASY to use! I would never visit London without one (and we lived only 70 minutes away).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... go to Thornton's... it is a candy store that is everywhere! Try a bag of chocolate covered Toffee. British toffee is not like ours. Then pick up a bag for your good friend who gave you all these fabulous tips! lol

Get a tube pass

Get a tube pass

This answer was in response to the question is a tube pass better than an oyster card.

Don't know because we never used the oyster card. We left in 2005 and it was pretty limited usage then. The tube will get you everywhere around London, their maps are EASY to follow and many of the station names are named for the places nearby. Hence, St. Paul's, Oxford Circus, Picadilly Circus, etc. The maps are an icon now and are sold on all kinds of souvenirs. I don't know him much free time you'll have but even with an Oyster pass, i think you'll find yourself relying on the tube the most.

When my Mom and I visited Paris we really enjoyed the tour we took of The Palace of Versailles...my Mom loved visiting the Sacre Coeur Basilica(me not so much since I was 8months pregnant and those are some serious steps)...we also took a cruise down the Seine river at night that was beautiful!! A neat way to see Notre Dame:)...of course the bakery's are absolutely fabulous!! Doesn't matter where since they are everywhere!! So excited for you guys...I'm sure you will have a blast!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

belle41379
08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
No Segway :(

I figured I would just jump off the back of the bus! :thumbsup2

Bring a skateboard and we can strap you to it. We will then thread a rope out one of the windows to tether you to the bus. This way you will still get some good motion footage. ;)

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
The sand sculptures aren't at DLP they are in Belgium :goodvibes

There is a sand sculpture of the castle (thought I don't think it looks anything like it :sad2:) at Paris Plage this year from 21/7 - 21/8

http://www.paris.fr/english/english/paris-plages-the-programme-for-the-10th-event/rub_8118_actu_103541_port_19237

Focus on... Sleeping Beauty’s castle

From 21 July to 21 August- Notre-Dame Bridge

For its first involvement in Paris Plages, Disneyland Paris is recreating its famous castle on the Georges Pompidou Expressway. To create this 5-metre high construction, seven sculptors from five countries will work for 300 hours and will use 40 tons of sand. The public will be able to take part in this work during the first two days of the event. The transitory sculpture will be completed and inaugurated on 23 July, in the presence of Mickey Mouse in person. Not to mention the sandcastle competition which Disneyland will organise every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you for the correction!! I would have been looking everywhere for that! :thumbsup2

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Bring a skateboard and we can strap you to it. We will then thread a rope out one of the windows to tether you to the bus. This way you will still get some good motion footage. ;)

That just screams "Tourist!!!"

DisneyKevin
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM

I'll bring band aids and Bactine.:thumbsup2

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 02:03 PM

...and splints, crutches, and something to pull me around with a skateboard. :rotfl2:

belle41379
08-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Bactine might sting too much. I'll bring the kids Johnson and Johnson "ouchless" stuff. :hug: Although, I bet Mike would tough it up for the love of his craft.:upsidedow

belle41379
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
...and splints, crutches, and something to pull me around with a skateboard. :rotfl2:

Mike, we have 2 Travel Pro duffle bags. Those are big enough...we can pull you around in it! :rotfl2:

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I picked up a few books from my Border's run last week. I mostly bought them to be books I can thumb through after the trip, but a couple smaller, useful ones to take with me.

I bought the Rick Steves guides for both London and Paris, another Rick Steves pocket sized guide for London with fold-out map, and a pocket phrasebook that included French, German and Italian. I figured the French portion would be handy, and if I ever ventured to Germany or Italy someday, all the better.

I think Montmarte is the area of Moulin Rouge, right? And the Sacre Coeur (sp?) church, where people sit on the steps to get a panoramic view of the city below. I'd probably be up for that.

I still have to pick up some plug adapters for both countries. I figure I'm charging my phone or camera, so I won't need the converter.

Lori - You are correct about Montmarte...Moulin Rouge, Sacre Coeur, etc. I'm thinking our last day in Paris before heading to DLP is probably going to be the best day. Thoughts?

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 02:26 PM

I'm fine with being second just as long as I get the box soon!! :banana::banana::banana:

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM

I just had an awful visual of what would happen when the bus stopped.:scared:

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Bactine might sting too much. I'll bring the kids Johnson and Johnson "ouchless" stuff. :hug: Although, I bet Mike would tough it up for the love of his craft.:upsidedow

"No sting" is good!!

Mike, we have 2 Travel Pro duffle bags. Those are big enough...we can pull you around in it! :rotfl2:

I could wear them like roller skates!

I'm fine with being second just as long as I get the box soon!! :banana::banana::banana:

Is this our Christmas? I have not wanted a box to show up this quick in a long time! Well, maybe since last week. :woohoo:

I just had an awful visual of what would happen when the bus stopped.:scared:

The best close-up of a tail pipe EVER!!! :banana:

Chropistopy
08-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Is this our Christmas? I have not wanted a box to show up this quick in a long time! Well, maybe since last week. :woohoo:

It's close. Getting the box will just make it more real. The box from ABD just says "Yes, you are going to London and Paris."

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I am ordering a "Universal World Power Strip" which will work on 110/220/240v. This should allow me to have to only buy a couple of adapters.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Puo4qpAqL.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ZE6V0/sr=1-4/qid=1312229639/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1312229639&sr=1-4&seller=)

Becx N Gav
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
So do they talk in French in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show @ DLP?

I can't remember if it's in French too or just English, they may have different shows in each language. It's a good show but the so called all you can eat turned out to be one serving then they never came back :confused3
You get a cool hat though :thumbsup2

:woohoo: Let me know when you plan to do this, I have to see that :yay:

sayhello
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM

I still have to pick up some plug adapters for both countries. I figure I'm charging my phone or camera, so I won't need the converter.I'd be up for Montmarte during our time off, too!

Who will get theirs first?Note to self: Be careful what you tell Kevin! Loose lips sink ships!

I am ordering a "Universal World Power Strip" which will work on 110/220/240v. This should allow me to have to only buy a couple of adapters.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Puo4qpAqL.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ZE6V0/sr=1-4/qid=1312229639/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1312229639&sr=1-4&seller=)Oooo, where did you find that? What countries does it support? Doesn't look quite right to me... And what adapters would you need to buy if this handles everything?

I don't care what order I get my box in! I just want my box!!! (it's just about time to start the countdown calendar! I want my 30-day countdown calendar!!!)

Sayhello

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Oooo, where did you find that? What countries does it support? Doesn't look quite right to me... And what adapters would you need to buy if this handles everything?

Sayhello

click the picture and it will take you to the amazon page. It supports all Europe/UK/US devices. You will need a US to UK plug for London and a US to Europe(Paris) adapter for the plug that actually goes into the wall.

sayhello
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
click the picture and it will take you to the amazon page. It supports all Europe/UK/US devices. You will need a US to UK plug for London and a US to Europe(Paris) adapter for the plug that actually goes into the wall.That doesn't quite make sense. Seems to me you want one the other way around. This one adapts their plugs to ours. Seems you want one that adapts our plugs to theirs. Then you'd only need one adaptor, for whichever one it didn't plug into.

Sayhello

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
That doesn't quite make sense. Seems to me you want one the other way around. This one adapts their plugs to ours. Seems you want one that adapts our plugs to theirs. Then you'd only need one adaptor, for whichever one it didn't plug into.

Sayhello

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Boards/plugstrip.jpg

It was designed to accept ANY plug on the plug strip at 220/110 volts. This will allow it to work in both the US and overseas. Just use a generic plug adapter on the plug that goes into the wall.

mattincanberra
08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Hmm, I do pretty much the same thing with a $2 power strip with a plug adapter for the wall. It is one of the standard things i have in my bag whenever i travel - makes surviving in hotels so much easier - and saves my lugging around a million adapters, or just charging one thing at a time.

BTW I'm prepared to bet I get my box last :)

belle41379
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Puo4qpAqL.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ZE6V0/sr=1-4/qid=1312229639/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1312229639&sr=1-4&seller=)

It was designed to accept ANY plug on the plug strip at 220/110 volts. This will allow it to work in both the US and overseas. Just use a generic plug adapter on the plug that goes into the wall.

Ugh! I'm so confused. :blush: So I'll either need a plug to put in the wall in both London and Paris for each item I need to plug in (or use things one at a time...yeah right!) or get one of those strips and an adapter for the wall for each place for the strip?

I was reading the hotel website for London, and I thought I read something about them having adaptors in the rooms...maybe I need to look at that again.

ETA: website says "outlet with duel voltage adaptor". Translation, please. LOL

Emiel
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM

Why not buy a US power strip and one UK to US and one FR to US adapter???? It is what we do all the time when we come over to the US: bring a Dutch power strip and one US to Dutch adapter. Will save you a lot of money.... Just sayin´ :rolleyes1

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Ugh! I'm so confused. :blush: So I'll either need a plug to put in the wall in both London and Paris for each item I need to plug in (or use things one at a time...yeah right!) or get one of those strips and an adapter for the wall for each place for the strip?

I was reading the hotel website for London, and I thought I read something about them having adaptors in the rooms...maybe I need to look at that again.

London and Paris (Europe) have different power plugs from the US.

London uses this plug....

http://www.design-klub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/choi_plug.jpg

Paris (Europe) uses this plug...

http://www.paris-eiffel-tower-news.com/images/paris-article-french-us-power-different_clip_image007.jpg

On the back of that later plug, you will see the universal power receptacle that accepts US/UK/Europe/others power plugs. You can plug your laptop, Hair dryer, or clock radio into that plug as long as the device can use 220volt power.

The power strip I showed is just 6 of those universal receptacles. Most US power strips WILL NOT handle 220 Volts.

You will need 1 UK adapter and 1 European adapter for the power strip (or a multi-adapter that does both).

Here is a quick tutorial....

http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/electric.htm

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Why not buy a US power strip and one UK to US and one FR to US adapter???? It is what we do all the time when we come over to the US: bring a Dutch power strip and one US to Dutch adapter. Will save you a lot of money.... Just sayin´ :rolleyes1

Most US power strips do not support 220volts. They will blow.

Power Strips and Power Surge Strips

Definition: A power strip is an item with a power cord and a rank of outlets, normally three to six. This allows you to plug in multiple gizmos in your hotel room. European hotels rarely have a spare outlet. The cord may have an American, European Schucko, or UK/Irish plug. Depending on the plug and the countries you are visiting, you may need a plug adapter in order to use it.

Most Americans have a few power strips in the house. These are commonly used to plug computers, monitors, printers, and other devices into a single wall outlet. Power strips usually have built-in surge protection, power overload protection, on/off indicator light, and a shut off switch. Surge protection helps protect your gizmos against voltage spikes, e.g. lightning hitting the power line.

My email lately indicates that many travelers pack multiple gizmos that use rechargeable batteries. I do too. See the section above, "Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras, Cell Phones, and Similar Devices." It is nice to be able to charge them all overnight and start every day with your batteries fully loaded. You could have a crisis by mid afternoon otherwise. Typically there is only one wall outlet in your hotel room. In fact, sometimes the only outlets in the room are being used by lamps and the TV and there isn't a spare outlet for your equipment. This is when a power strip comes to the rescue.

A power strip with "universal" outlets (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42071535#post42071535) is most useful. Then you can unplug a lamp in your room, plug in your power strip, plug the hotel lamp into the power strip, and plug in your American bricks and gizmos. The "universal" outlet looks like nothing you have ever seen before. In a T arrangement, it has a number of various shaped holes. It accepts everything — American, British, Irish, and all the Continental plugs.

American power strips can physically be connected to a plug adapter and plugged in to any European wall outlet. This results in 240 volts rushing through your American 110 volt power strip. Then you might have sparks and smoke. If you burn down the hotel you are responsible, if you are still alive. I recommend that any power strip you use be rated for 220 volts minimum. There are a couple of them in the green Amazon advert column on the left. One has a continental European Schucko plug on the cord so you do not need a plug adapter to plug it in for most countries. Both have universal outlets which accept virtually any plug on the planet.

Do not plug your high power hair blower into a power surge strip. Use a separate plug adapter. A high power hair blower could pop the circuit breaker. But you probably don't need to bring a hair blower anyway since most hotel rooms have one as standard equipment. This became common in the last 20 years. I suspect that hotels do this to help avoid getting burned down when uninformed guests plug in their 110 volt American hair blowers. The 220 volts of Europe immediately shorts out the hairblower, resulting in a wild fireworks display and the end of electricity in your room. Never plug in anything that is not rated for 240 volts. I recommend that you not plug anything other than electronic gizmos and battery chargers into your power strip. The capacity of a power strip is limited. This is a redundant statement (see above) but one that needs to be emphasized. Get out your magnifying glass and look at the bottom of your gizmos and bricks!

DisneyKevin
08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

ETA: website says "outlet with duel voltage adaptor". Translation, please. LOL

Most US power strips do not support 220volts. They will blow.

Okay....I think I see the confusion here.

Adapter - will adapt a US plug from any device to fit into a European plug. The issue is that you will still be getting 220 volts and US devices are 110.

Converter - changes European 220 to US 110.

If you plan to use a USA power strip, you will need an adapter AND a converter.

The power strip Mike is suggesting is a converter, so you would only need an adapter to fit the European plug.

Does that help?

belle41379
08-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Adapter - will adapt a US plug from any device to fit into a European plug. The issue is that you will still be getting 220 volts and US devices are 110.

The power strip Mike is suggesting is a converter, so you would only need an adapter to fit the European plug.

Does that help?

Yes, it does. :thumbsup2 If I am understanding correctly, if I use the strip Mike showed us, I will need both a UK and Europe adaptor. Is that correct?

k5jmh
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes, it does. :thumbsup2 If I am understanding correctly, if I use the strip Mike showed us, I will need both a UK and Europe adaptor. Is that correct?

Correct!! You will need just one of each as opposed to 2 per device that you would use at one time (like charging all of your devices).

belle41379
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Correct!! You will need just one of each as opposed to 2 per device that you would use at one time (like charging all of your devices).

Whew! Thanks for helping me understand. :upsidedow

Sarabi's Cubs
08-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the adapter/converter discussion and especially the pictures! :worship: I kept seeing them in travel magazines and could not figure it out.

Laurie

mattincanberra
08-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Does that help?

I'm not sure thats quite right.

The strip Mike is suggesting is just designed to handle 220 volts, it's not changing the voltage, for that you need a transformer.

Most things people would want to travel with should work with a variety of voltages - ie. iPads/iPhones/iWhatevers, Camera chargers, Laptops etc. They are kinda designed to be used anywhere. Usually on the power brick there will be some mention of acceptable voltage (usually 110-240 or 100-220 or something similar).

Things with motors however will not very much like the change in electricity, they absolutely will go pop - that includes hair dryers.

Just as an aside - the English appear to be scared of electicity - you very rarely will find an outlet in a bathroom in the UK, it is always a small thing that amuses me.

Matt

MinnieGarden
08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
After all of this talk about converters and contraptions, I just hope they've got a hair dryer in the bathroom at the hotels! :lmao:

sayhello
08-01-2011, 10:42 PM
After all of this talk about converters and contraptions, I just hope they've got a hair dryer in the bathroom at the hotels! :lmao:I already checked, and they are all supposed to have hair dryers!

This is important stuff!

Sayhello

BriarRosie
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I am going to try and do some test shots this week and over the weekend at Christy's family reunion. I should have a bunch of 80+ year old relatives looking at me really funny! ;)

And why would this be any different than normal...? :rolleyes1

Ok, Mike has turned into Marty McFly. :laughing:

Lori - You are correct about Montmarte...Moulin Rouge, Sacre Coeur, etc. I'm thinking our last day in Paris before heading to DLP is probably going to be the best day. Thoughts?

Playing it by ear. I don't know what I'd want to do until the time comes. So unlike planning a Disney vacation. :laughing:

After all of this talk about converters and contraptions, I just hope they've got a hair dryer in the bathroom at the hotels! :lmao:

You and me both, sister! I'm confident the hotel will have one.

k5jmh
08-02-2011, 06:15 AM
There it Trouble with a capital T at the Tower of London!!

Ex-Tower of London boss claims Beefeater bullying
By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press – 13 minutes ago
LONDON (AP) — There is trouble at the Tower of London, and heads are rolling.
The former governor of the tower says he was fired after challenging bullying, rule-breaking and marijuana-growing at the 900-year-old fortress. Maj. Gen. Keith Cima got the ax in January and appeared Tuesday at an employment tribunal claiming unfair dismissal.
In a written statement to the tribunal, reported in Britain's Daily Mail newspaper, Cima alleged he was fired because he "stood up against bullies" and uncovered financial impropriety and cannabis-growing on the tower grounds.
He said that after being appointed in 2006 he found "completely unacceptable" practices including illegal raffles at the tower's onsite social club, unauthorized tours of the Crown Jewels and allowing young female tourists stay on the grounds.
Historic Royal Palaces, the body that runs the Tower, denies Cima's claims. It says the allegations of wrongdoing were investigated but that no proof was found.
On Tuesday it said it could not comment further during an ongoing hearing.
The tower — a former royal residence and prison that houses the Crown Jewels — is staffed by 35 yeoman warders known as Beefeaters, military veterans who dress in distinctive black and scarlet Tudor-style uniforms.
The guide tourists around the tower and share its eventful history of imprisonment and executions — including the beheading of Anne Boleyn, second wife of King Henry VIII. But more recently the turmoil has been among the staff.
In 2009 two male warders were suspended for allegedly harassing Moira Cameron, the first female Beefeater. One of the two was later paid compensation after management agreed he had been wrongly fired.
Cima claims he was fired after opposing that decision.
In a statement submitted Tuesday to Cima's tribunal, Cameron said she had been "absolutely devastated" by the decision to apologize and pay compensation because it gave the impression she had been exaggerating her claims that she was bullied. She said Cima had expressed sympathy with her position.

k5jmh
08-02-2011, 06:53 AM
I just ordered me some new boots for the trip!

Anyone ready for some dancin'?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14B3CE00000578-810_634x430.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14B44F00000578-216_634x631.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14C91100000578-218_634x403.jpg

Chropistopy
08-02-2011, 08:00 AM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14B3CE00000578-810_634x430.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14B44F00000578-216_634x631.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14C91100000578-218_634x403.jpg

That's just scary!

sayhello
08-02-2011, 08:04 AM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/16/article-1387604-0C14C91100000578-218_634x403.jpgWhat in the name of all that's holy are THOSE???? :scared1:

Sayhello

Chropistopy
08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
After all of the converter / adapter talk, I'm now scared that I don't have the right thing. I'm happy to hear that each of the hotels should have a hair dryer. I'll be freaked out to plug mine in... Now the concern is my flat iron. Got to have it though.

DisneyKevin
08-02-2011, 08:24 AM

Santa's Elves go to Brokeback Mountain.:thumbsup2

belle41379
08-02-2011, 08:31 AM
What in the name of all that's holy are THOSE???? :scared1:

Sayhello

Ditto! :scared1:

belle41379
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Why is it that I just heard Pete say "I caint quite yew" with an elf accent in my head? :scared1:

sayhello
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
After all of the converter / adapter talk, I'm now scared that I don't have the right thing. I'm happy to hear that each of the hotels should have a hair dryer. I'll be freaked out to plug mine in... Now the concern is my flat iron. Got to have it though.I'm glad I'm not the only one addicted to a flat iron... I think I'll bring my converter for that, even if I just get an adapter for everything else (camera, phone, iPad, etc).

Cripes! That reminds me! I need to check with Verizon about getting a global loaner phone again! I'M NOT READY!!!

Sayhello

k5jmh
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
What in the name of all that's holy are THOSE???? :scared1:

Sayhello

Ditto! :scared1:

Those are "pointy boots." They are all the rage here! (apparently) :confused3

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=8131833

Chropistopy
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one addicted to a flat iron... I think I'll bring my converter for that, even if I just get an adapter for everything else (camera, phone, iPad, etc).

Cripes! That reminds me! I need to check with Verizon about getting a global loaner phone again! I'M NOT READY!!!

Sayhello

I could scare people without my flat iron. Addiction doesn't even come close. :)

I may end up buying a dual voltage flat iron and just use an adapter. I could always use a spare. I don't want to get over there...something happen to my flat iron and then have to buy one...b/c I won't go without one. You can count on that!

I've got to check out my camera. Hopefully, I'll be fine with just adapters for my camera, iPad, and phone.

MinnieGarden
08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I could scare people without my flat iron. Addiction doesn't even come close. :)

I may end up buying a dual voltage flat iron and just use an adapter. I could always use a spare. I don't want to get over there...something happen to my flat iron and then have to buy one...b/c I won't go without one. You can count on that!

I've got to check out my camera. Hopefully, I'll be fine with just adapters for my camera, iPad, and phone.

I know the feeling Christy! I bought a spare for travel a couple of months ago from Travelsmith. It's small and will only require an adapter and seems to work well. I don't want to take my Chi and have a problem.

k5jmh
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Closures for DLP for September. Looks like most everything will be open for us!

September 2011

La Cabane des Robinson
1st to 30th

Disneyland Railroad
5th to 7th

Blanche-Niege et les Sept Nains (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
5th to 9th

Captain EO
5th to 9th, 12th to 16th

Phantom Manor
19th to 30th

Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril
26th to 30th

BriarRosie
08-02-2011, 12:12 PM

I cain't quit....shoes... :rolleyes:

I was thinking the shoes looked like something rejected from the Lollipop Guild.

Do you think we'll need a power strip like Mike with all that going on? :laughing:

September 2011

La Cabane des Robinson
1st to 30th

Disneyland Railroad
5th to 7th

5th to 9th

Captain EO
5th to 9th, 12th to 16th

Phantom Manor
19th to 30th

26th to 30th

I'm really glad we're not missing Phantom Manor. I might have cried if we arrived and it was closed. :eek:

sayhello
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I know the feeling Christy! I bought a spare for travel a couple of months ago from Travelsmith. It's small and will only require an adapter and seems to work well. I don't want to take my Chi and have a problem.That's a good point. I think I'll take a look at Travel Smith! Thanks. I have a great Baggalini heat-proof case I bought.

September 2011

La Cabane des Robinson
1st to 30th

Disneyland Railroad
5th to 7th

5th to 9th

Captain EO
5th to 9th, 12th to 16th

Phantom Manor
19th to 30th

26th to 30thCool! That's reassuring. Except for Captain Eo!!! I really wanted to see that. I stood in line for hours to see it opening day at Disneyland umpteen million years ago. I'd have loved to have seen it again. Darn!

Do you think we'll need a power strip like Mike with all that going on? :laughing: It might be a good idea. No telling how few plugs they might have in a European hotel room!

I'm really glad we're not missing Phantom Manor. I might have cried if we arrived and it was closed. :eek:Seriously!!! :eek:

Sayhello

Chropistopy
08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Do you think we'll need a power strip like Mike with all that going on? :laughing:

I'm really glad we're not missing Phantom Manor. I might have cried if we arrived and it was closed. :eek:

I'm definitely thinking about the power strip.

We would have been crying together. :laughing: I'm really looking forward to Phantom Manor.

k5jmh
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Soooooo, OUR BOXES WENT OUT TODAY!!!!!!!
:cool1: :cool1::cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

OKW Lover
08-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Is it Boxing Day already?

belle41379
08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
So, after all the talk yesterday about outlets, convertors, and adaptors (oh my!), I said to my husband, who has a Masters degree in Information Communication Sciences, "did you know...". He stared blankly at me with eyebrows raised. Yep, guess that was a dumb question to ask Mr Technology! :rotfl2::rolleyes:

DisneyKevin
08-02-2011, 06:56 PM

I got mine today!!!!

DisneyKevin
08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Okay....not really.:laughing:

But I bet I had ya going didnt I?;)

mattincanberra
08-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Such a tease - of course mine will have to come around the world on some kind of slow boat - i expect it to arrive by the time i get back...

dcayz
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
First, let me say that this is James, not Denise. I'm borrowing her account, since she's logged into Disunplugged all the time, and well, I've just started reading the 94 pages of posts. And yes, I read them from 1 to 94, and I needed to make some comments and have some questions. I'm hoping that with under 30 days to go, I haven't waited too long....

------------

First, WTR to the power strip someone purchased - it is NOT a converter. From a review on Amazon "The USP600 solves that problem by turning one 220 volt grounded outlet into six 220 grounded outlets." What you are basically buying is something that turns 1 outlet of X power / US 3 prong, NEMA 5-15, and connect it to 6 multi-format US/UK/etc jacks AT THE SAME POWER RATING.

So, if you wanted to use non-international rated US devices, you would need a CONVERTER (240v -> 120v) for each device. You'd also find you could maybe get 4 plugged in unless you have slim-line converters. Now, many devices (Apple i*, shavers, BlackBerrys) ship in the US with chargers with US 120 plugs, but actually work in both 120 and 240 locations. Your individual device has GOT to say Input 120 - 240V 50-60Hz, or you risk damaging the charger, the device, the circuit, the room, the hotel. The last 3 can get costly :-)

Now, as mentioned before, there are adapters (basically, the same as the power strip, but in reverse - multiple plugs and 1 US jack), and there are converters - adapters with power lowering capability.

You might think - hey, I'll get one Converter, plug a US power strip into it, and I'll be set. BZZZZZZT. If you do that, and plug an international charger into it (again, i*, Blackberry, etc.), I have heard that that ALSO will damage the charger. My converter SPECIFICALLY STATES "DO NOT USE UNIVERSAL CHARGERS / ELECTRONIC DEVICES WITH THIS, OR RISK ....". Something about the two chargers doing battle over which frequency to use.

Right now, Denise & I are taking only international-rated devices. I figure to pack a standard US ext cord (not power strip) with UL & CE (240V) ratings. I'll plug it into an adapter (change the plug from UK/France to US ONLY), run 240 through the ext cord to the intl-rated devices. I've always been a little leery of 240 since watching a cousin getting blown across the basement after hooking up our dryer wrong, but that was 4-wire 240 @ 60A, not 2 wire 240 @ 5A, so it should be just fine.

Does anyone out there have first-hand knowledge if this will or will not work?

Does anyone know if I can buy a US-plug extension cord over in UK? I don't mind not packing / carrying one?

--------------------

Second: Dress Code for the trip. We're doing the whole enchilada: Foxtrot. other group things. Lion King. My typical non-work is jeans (blue or black) and a nice collared shirt (maybe like a polo or 3-button tee), clean sneakers. I "dress up" for work, khakis and button down shirts, no tie, non-lace shoes. I only go to weddings and funerals dressed any better.

Please tell me that I can get away with non-work casual for most time (I can't see bike riding in my work monkey-suit ), and a change or two of business casual? If I need to pack a tie & a shirt that works w/ a tie, I'll be a grumpy old man on the trip.

------------------------

Third - Language. I can handle UK, I know my pants from my trousers. But, I've had a borrowed a friends computer language learning software for over a month, and I can barely say where the damn cat is. Much less understand why a man is just a l' homme but a woman is always le {something} femme. So, I know I will look like a tourist and sound like an American, but will I get poisoned or otherwise abused if I just can't wrap my head around French enough to even say "I can't speak French?"

There's a saying - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Same goes for language, I have a feeling.

--------------------------

Has everyone but me already started packing? I've not even decided what kind of luggage I need to buy, much less pack..

Just Wonderin'...

And yeah, reply to Denise - she's sure to see her own post and the replies to it. :-)

Thanks.

James

Circusgirl
08-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Doh!

Chropistopy
08-02-2011, 09:16 PM
OK...I've been spending money tonight. :)

I've now purchased a dual voltage flat iron (yay!), the universal power strip that Mike posted, adapters (UK and EUR), a compact umbrella w/case...and threw in a couple seasons of Monarch of the Glen (cute BBC tv show) for good measure.

I'm feeling a bit better about the whole power / electronics issue now.

sayhello
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
OK...I've been spending money tonight. :)

I've now purchased a dual voltage flat iron (yay!), the universal power strip that Mike posted, adapters (UK and EUR), a compact umbrella w/case...and threw in a couple seasons of Monarch of the Glen (cute BBC tv show) for good measure.

I'm feeling a bit better about the whole power / electronics issue now.Did you buy the flat iron from Travelsmith? I've been eyeing that one...

I think I'm going to buy this power strip; I think it's enough for just me:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41el81HBeCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Simran-SM-60-110V-250V-Universal-Protection/dp/B003UHYDYO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Mike does that one look OK? I've also picked up UK & Europe (France) adapters for it.

Sayhello

dcayz
08-02-2011, 09:59 PM
@Sayhello, others, I'm confused - the power strips you are buying have standard US plugs (the part you plug into the wall), and have international jacks (where you plug your camera/phone/flat iron/steadicam).

I'm assuming that the majority of the ABD groups is coming over from US ('cept the Aussie, of course). Why would you need a power strip that has anything but US Jacks? Wouldn't a standard US power strip (no surge protection/no MOVs) be a better / cheaper solution, and then just tack the UK/Eur adapter on the front (between the power strip & the wall?).

I did a little math, and a standard US $2 cord from WalMart is UL listed for 13A @ 125V, but more importantly, 1625Watts. V * A = W.

So, if I have 3 International Chargers, all running @ 240V, #1 is .2A, #2 is .15 A, and #3 is 1A, that is 1.35A * 240V = <1000W, which is means the $2 cord from Walmart is more than sufficient.

Right?

Any EE / Electricians out there want to weigh in on this?

James (again).

dcayz
08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Just another random post about power converters - I just purchased an adapter (not converter) from a local Big Box store, and it had a USB output on it as well - I thought, great, I can charge my iPhone on it while running my CPAP at night using 1 socket.

Went to try it using US power (no UK/Eur socket change). The USB doesn't generally provide enough umph to charge hi-drain devices such as blackberrys and iPhones. And, it got real hot after I plugged it in / unplugged it quickly to try and con it into working - it worked, but almost overheated. I ended up using the standard Apple USB adapter.

Unless it specifically says it will work w/ an iPhone/iPod, I wouldn't trust it!

Just a warning for people like me trying to think about saving luggage space by cutting down on adapters!

James (again)

belle41379
08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi James!

I can't speak to any if the adaptor stuff...I'm just going to leave it to my husband to handle. :laughing:

As far as packing, we haven't started yet. We've put some thought into what we want to bring, but that's it. It's my understanding that when we get our box from ABD, it will have more specifics in it as to attire. Is that right, everyone??

We will be bringing 2 Travel Pro duffel bags with us. When we first got them, I climbed into one...they are that big! We've used them several times this year and absolutely love them.

Language...we are lucky in the respect that we don't have too much free time in Paris to get ourselves into trouble...hopefully! I think that as long as you are respectful about not knowing the language and don't expect everyone to speak English, you will be just fine. :thumbsup2 I remember a bit of high school French, but just enough to be dangerous. The ABD site did say that most do speak English, though, if it makes you feel better.

DisneyKevin
08-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Second: Dress Code for the trip. We're doing the whole enchilada: Foxtrot. other group things. Lion King. My typical non-work is jeans (blue or black) and a nice collared shirt (maybe like a polo or 3-button tee), clean sneakers. I "dress up" for work, khakis and button down shirts, no tie, non-lace shoes. I only go to weddings and funerals dressed any better.

Please tell me that I can get away with non-work casual for most time (I can't see bike riding in my work monkey-suit ), and a change or two of business casual? If I need to pack a tie & a shirt that works w/ a tie, I'll be a grumpy old man on the trip.

------------------------

Third - Language. I can handle UK, I know my pants from my trousers. But, I've had a borrowed a friends computer language learning software for over a month, and I can barely say where the damn cat is. Much less understand why a man is just a l' homme but a woman is always le {something} femme. So, I know I will look like a tourist and sound like an American, but will I get poisoned or otherwise abused if I just can't wrap my head around French enough to even say "I can't speak French?"

There's a saying - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Same goes for language, I have a feeling.

--------------------------

Has everyone but me already started packing? I've not even decided what kind of luggage I need to buy, much less pack..

Just Wonderin'...

And yeah, reply to Denise - she's sure to see her own post and the replies to it. :-)

Thanks.

James

Hi James,

Not sure I can shed any light on the power source / adapter / converter / transformer / power strip conversation.

We have an adapter for England and France and we bought the power strip Mike showed.

We're plugging in Apple stuff and they're rated for both, so hopefully we have things covered.

That being said.....I can answer your other questions.

I would say that your business casual clothing is all you will need. There is no need for a suit or tie. I can tell you that business casual is as "dressy" as I ever get and if that doesnt cover wherever we are going...well....I'm either going to sit outside or go somewhere else.

I also keep reading that you shouldnt wear white sneakers because you will look like a tourist.

First .....I am a tourist.
Second....28 of us will be following a guy (or gal) with a big white sign that says ADVENTURES BY DISNEY. I'm pretty sure my disguise will be shot no matter what color my footwear.
Third.....who cares if you look like a tourist. I'm going to experience London, Paris and Disneyland Paris. Having my picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower with 27 of my traveling companions by two guides trying to wield 28 separate cameras is again, going to give me away.
Fourth....I'm bringing a pair of white and and a pair of brown sneakers. I hope no one in our group is going to be upset that the 6'6, chubby guy at the end of the line of 28 people following the big white ABD sign is giving away that were not native French by wearing white Reeboks.

Okay....I think I've driven that point into the ground.

On to language....we have two guides that will be fluent in French. Ask them if anything you are ordering is something disgusting.

I'm of the belief that eyes, tongue, spleen, intestines, reproductive organs, brains etc....well...you get the idea....are not to be eaten. I'm okay with the fact that this may make me an ugly American. I can live with that.

That being said.....I think learning words like hello, goodbye, please, thank you, excuse me, how much etc will buy you a great deal of good will.

I'm not sure asking (no matter how perfect our French pronunciation) if what we are ordering is a disgusting part of the animal will get us very far.

It is for exactly this reason that I intend to survive on croissants.

dcayz
08-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah, it's James again (I stay up all night, don't sleep, drink lots of Coke Zero).

Something that DisneyKevin said struck a chord w/ me:
"two guides trying to wield 28 separate cameras".

Now, I might be trying to oversimplify Life In General, but what about cutting down 27 / 25 / 20+ of those duplicate shots and then sharing them all when we get home. I mean, does ANYONE intend on using film?

Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't all take separate cameras and photos where we are out & about looking at things, but especially for those group shots - how much time do we want to spend saying "Mickey Mouse" 14 - 28 times?

I am having to look into a new personal website before the trip anyway (Verizon is effectively killing off personal webspace to advanced DSL / FIOS users), and well, I'm sure I could set up a picture album section (maybe with its own domain name and restricted access list to just the group) where people could upload all of their "common" photos after (during?) the trip, and we could all download them thereafter. And yes, I'm talking at least 100G of space, so there wouldn't be any problems with keeping the full size photos (@10M/photo, that's 10,000 pix!). Of course, if someone is bound & determined to HD video every second and upload that movie, that might be a little more that 100G...

Oh, and yeah, I would say that we would take at least 2 pictures of each group shot, on different cameras - just in case one camera / SD cards gets lost / stolen / broken / etc. But that is still better than 28 :-)

Just a thought. Anyone else like it?

This is just an idea, and if no one wants it, that's OK w/ me.

skunkvette
08-03-2011, 05:05 AM
James,

Regarding the 24 camera shots, on our last two ADB tours that only happened once (maybe twice) a day, and with two guides shooting, it only took a couple extra minutes for each event.

Most of those "Kodak Moment" photos were also on the photo CD provide by ABD after the tour.

Share photos is a great idea, the last tours someone was kind enough to set up an account (Flickr or Snapfish type) for others to share photos.

Concerning dress code, I am with Kevin - "Hello my name is Frank and I am a tourist" is my trip plan.

There is going to be a good bit of walking, so two pairs of cross trainers, one grey and one brown. A pair of slip on leather shoes for nights out.

Nice Dockers for Lion King and nights events, but jeans and collared (pull over) shirts elsewhere.

I am also going to bring a pair of shorts (SHOCKING) if the long range weather forecast supports it.

Foxtrot Oscar is casual bistro, so jeans and a golf shirt is what I plan on for that night.

Don't forget about personal security, I have purchased shielded passport holders and a security wallet.

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 07:18 AM
I understand the 24 camera thing! :rotfl2:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4847/74/120/681266384/n681266384_1962758_1291854.jpg

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't a standard US power strip (no surge protection/no MOVs) be a better / cheaper solution, and then just tack the UK/Eur adapter on the front (between the power strip & the wall?).

I did a little math, and a standard US $2 cord from WalMart is UL listed for 13A @ 125V, but more importantly, 1625Watts. V * A = W.

So, if I have 3 International Chargers, all running @ 240V, #1 is .2A, #2 is .15 A, and #3 is 1A, that is 1.35A * 240V = <1000W, which is means the $2 cord from Walmart is more than sufficient.

Right?

Any EE / Electricians out there want to weigh in on this?

James (again).

Electrically, you are correct in the current draw.

BUT,, The us power strips are only rated for 110 volts @ 60hz. The surge protection will more than likely pop and smoke! (Seen it happen in my data center when a contractor plugged a 110 power strip into my rack mounted 220volt power strip. He let the factory installed smoke out. And once that magical smoke is gone, you can not put it back in).

I am bringing only Dual Voltage devices. No 110v only devices. I am purchasing the Multi-voltage power strip with universal female plugs so that I can rob a lamp plug or some other device if the rooms have sparse electrical connections. Plus, I want the surge protection.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Puo4qpAqL.jpg + http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31OTuuS8ZKL.jpg

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Something to keep an eye on if you are on Foursquare...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Boards/FO.jpg

belle41379
08-03-2011, 09:36 AM
For those of you that may be like us...not lucky enough to fly first class:crowded:...

Many travelers so dread the prospect of a sleepless long haul flight that their anxiety creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. Try to take care of as many work, home and travel details as possible before you leave so that flight day is stress-free. Then enjoy the airborne hours as a time when all your chores are done, and relaxation is your only option.

Make sure you dress the part. Wear comfortable, non-binding clothes made of soft fabrics with elastic waist bands. Slip off your shoes and slip on a pair of cozy socks.

Board at the first announcement to increase the odds that your carry-on bag can be stowed in the overhead bin, allowing you to take advantage of all available leg space.

There are never enough blankets or pillows for everyone on board, and those that are available are not laundered between flights. Bring a supportive neck pillow, a warm travel blanket, and block the light and noise with a good eyeshade and earplugs. For a more high-tech solution to engine noise, especially if you like to listen to music as you rest, try noise blocking or noise cancelling headphones.

Set your watch to the destination time as soon as you board the plane, and try not to think about what time it is at home. You may also wish to set your alarm for an hour or so before landing so you'll have time to move around a bit, use the restroom and be completely awake upon arrival.
Instruct the flight attendants not to wake you for meals or beverages, and fasten your seatbelt over your blanket so you won't be disturbed should the seatbelt sign come on.

The humidity level in airline passenger cabins is extremely low, so drink plenty of water , and keep your sinuses hydrated to help ward off germs. Stay away from alcohol and caffeine, as they dehydrate you and interfere with sleep.

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
DLP Castle marks Milestone

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/08/this-week-in-disney-history-disneyland-resort-paris-marks-castle-milestone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DisneyParks+%28Disney+Parks+B log%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

This Week in Disney History: Disneyland Paris Marks Castle Milestone
posted on August 3rd, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Western Europe is full of castles that astound and inspire, evoking thoughts of fairy tales and a time gone by – and Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant (Sleeping Beauty Castle) at Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris is no exception.

The castle, which was topped off in August 1991 (20 years ago this week), is a bit different than the first Sleeping Beauty Castle, built 5,659 miles away at Disneyland park in California. The French version features pink-tinted turrets, stained-glass windows and a basement cavern that is home to a dragon (La Tanière du Dragon), who awakens if you wait long enough.
Here’s a behind-the-scenes video of the topping off from Disneyland Paris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UM4syC6GVc

DisneyKevin
08-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Just sent off an information email regarding our upcoming Adventure.

While on "box watch"...check your "in box".

;)

sayhello
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
I am bringing only Dual Voltage devices. No 110v only devices. I am purchasing the Multi-voltage power strip with universal female plugs so that I can rob a lamp plug or some other device if the rooms have sparse electrical connections. Plus, I want the surge protection.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Puo4qpAqL.jpg + http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31OTuuS8ZKL.jpgMike, I've read some reviews of that adapter that said it does not work everywhere in France. A lot of places have plugs that are recessed within a circle, and this adapter will not fit in the recess. So it's a good idea, but doesn't always work.

I also keep reading that you shouldnt wear white sneakers because you will look like a tourist.

First .....I am a tourist.
Second....28 of us will be following a guy (or gal) with a big white sign that says ADVENTURES BY DISNEY. I'm pretty sure my disguise will be shot no matter what color my footwear.
Third.....who cares if you look like a tourist. I'm going to experience London, Paris and Disneyland Paris. Having my picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower with 27 of my traveling companions by two guides trying to wield 28 separate cameras is again, going to give me away.
Fourth....I'm bringing a pair of white and and a pair of brown sneakers. I hope no one in our group is going to be upset that the 6'6, chubby guy at the end of the line of 28 people following the big white ABD sign is giving away that were not native French by wearing white Reeboks.

Okay....I think I've driven that point into the ground.Kevin, that is exactly how I feel. That was why I wore white athletic shoes for each and every excursion I did on the Med cruise last year. And I was hardly alone. I don't recall anyone pointing and whispering "Look! White tennis shoes! She must be a tourist!" So your and my footwear will match nicely.

Yeah, it's James again (I stay up all night, don't sleep, drink lots of Coke Zero).

Something that DisneyKevin said struck a chord w/ me:
"two guides trying to wield 28 separate cameras".

Now, I might be trying to oversimplify Life In General, but what about cutting down 27 / 25 / 20+ of those duplicate shots and then sharing them all when we get home. I mean, does ANYONE intend on using film?

Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't all take separate cameras and photos where we are out & about looking at things, but especially for those group shots - how much time do we want to spend saying "Mickey Mouse" 14 - 28 times?

[...]

Oh, and yeah, I would say that we would take at least 2 pictures of each group shot, on different cameras - just in case one camera / SD cards gets lost / stolen / broken / etc. But that is still better than 28 :-)

Just a thought. Anyone else like it?

This is just an idea, and if no one wants it, that's OK w/ me.James, while my brain understands what you are saying, there is no way in the world that I'm going to be able to NOT give my camera to the Guide, and just sit and watch them take photos with other people's cameras. It just won't happen. :confused3 Chalk it up to my heredity or whatever, but I must have my own pictures on my own camera. Not that I won't enjoy sharing photos with everyone else, but there's no way I'll be content counting on just that.

Sayhello

sayhello
08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
For those of you that may be like us...not lucky enough to fly first class:crowded:...

Many travelers so dread the prospect of a sleepless long haul flight that their anxiety creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. Try to take care of as many work, home and travel details as possible before you leave so that flight day is stress-free. Then enjoy the airborne hours as a time when all your chores are done, and relaxation is your only option.

Make sure you dress the part. Wear comfortable, non-binding clothes made of soft fabrics with elastic waist bands. Slip off your shoes and slip on a pair of cozy socks.

Board at the first announcement to increase the odds that your carry-on bag can be stowed in the overhead bin, allowing you to take advantage of all available leg space.

There are never enough blankets or pillows for everyone on board, and those that are available are not laundered between flights. Bring a supportive neck pillow, a warm travel blanket, and block the light and noise with a good eyeshade and earplugs. For a more high-tech solution to engine noise, especially if you like to listen to music as you rest, try noise blocking or noise cancelling headphones.

Set your watch to the destination time as soon as you board the plane, and try not to think about what time it is at home. You may also wish to set your alarm for an hour or so before landing so you'll have time to move around a bit, use the restroom and be completely awake upon arrival.
Instruct the flight attendants not to wake you for meals or beverages, and fasten your seatbelt over your blanket so you won't be disturbed should the seatbelt sign come on.

The humidity level in airline passenger cabins is extremely low, so drink plenty of water , and keep your sinuses hydrated to help ward off germs. Stay away from alcohol and caffeine, as they dehydrate you and interfere with sleep.Been there, done that, and STILL cannot sleep on planes. :goodvibes Never have been able to. So I'm expecting to be DOA when I hit England just like when I flew to Barcelona. Fortunately, I have several pre-days to recover...

Sayhello

belle41379
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Ok, so how is everyone planning on carrying their money/CC, etc? Will it be safe for us to leave a small bag (not w/money) on the bus? Just trying to understand if we will be in any level of "Disney bubble", or if we are equally appealing to thieves following a ABD sign around.

On another note, having never been overseas, can you tell me about the flight? What do I expect in terms of meals/drinks/snacks, etc. We will be sitting in the upscale coach section, whatever that is called, flying with Delta (and pretending we are living the good life in first class! Lol)

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike, I've read some reviews of that adapter that said it does not work everywhere in France.

That is not the adapter I am buying, it was meant more for the visual. :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Ok, so how is everyone planning on carrying their money/CC, etc? Will it be safe for us to leave a small bag (not w/money) on the bus? Just trying to understand if we will be in any level of "Disney bubble", or if we are equally appealing to thieves following a ABD sign around.

It would be my suggestion that you take the same precautions you would take in any major metropolitan area.

When we went to Italy in 2006, I had an attempted pickpocket situation. Luckily the pickpocket (approximately 8 years old:scared1:) didnt get anything.

One of the nice things about an ABD trip is that you have 27 new friends watching your back and that makes us a bit less appealing to a thief.

In Venice...I was the last in the long line of ABDers, making me a much easier target.

Some of the things I've read and thought to be helpful...

Make color copies of your passport and keep them in a different spot than your actual passport.

Leave a credit card in your hotel safe, just in case your wallet is stolen. Make you have a copy of all credit card numbers and the toll free number to report them lost or stolen.

Do not carry all of your cash in the same pocket.

Be cautious when wearing a backpack or purse that sits behind you.

Carry smaller bills. It's easier to shop for smaller things and much easier to haggle...should the occasion arise.

Be aware of interactions with strangers that are not initiated by you. We've heard stories of seeing someone trip and when you rush to help, your stuff is taken. We've also heard stories of a women walking toward you and pretending to drop a "baby"...or even thrown a "baby" toward you.

You even have to be cautious of children. As I said, my pickpocket was approximately 8. I was told that had he gotten my wallet, there were other children close by and that my wallet would have been handed off several times.

Never leave bags, cameras, personal items etc unattended. There are enough of us around to watch or hold your stuff.

If I think of more...I'll let you know.

DisneyKevin
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Okay Folks....

The ABD missing info emails are out.

If you dont receive one, your reservation is ready to go.

If you did get an email, please take a minute and email me the requested information.

Thanks,
Kevin

belle41379
08-03-2011, 03:36 PM
It would be my suggestion that you take the same precautions you would take in any major metropolitan area.

When we went to Italy in 2006, I had an attempted pickpocket situation. Luckily the pickpocket (approximately 8 years old:scared1:) didnt get anything.

One of the nice things about an ABD trip is that you have 27 new friends watching your back and that makes us a bit less appealing to a thief.

In Venice...I was the last in the long line of ABDers, making me a much easier target.

Some of the things I've read and thought to be helpful...

Make color copies of your passport and keep them in a different spot than your actual passport.

Leave a credit card in your hotel safe, just in case your wallet is stolen. Make you have a copy of all credit card numbers and the toll free number to report them lost or stolen.

Do not carry all of your cash in the same pocket.

Be cautious when wearing a backpack or purse that sits behind you.

Carry smaller bills. It's easier to shop for smaller things and much easier to haggle...should the occasion arise.

Be aware of interactions with strangers that are not initiated by you. We've heard stories of seeing someone trip and when you rush to help, your stuff is taken. We've also heard stories of a women walking toward you and pretending to drop a "baby"...or even thrown a "baby" toward you.

You even have to be cautious of children. As I said, my pickpocket was approximately 8. I was told that had he gotten my wallet, there were other children close by and that my wallet would have been handed off several times.

Never leave bags, cameras, personal items etc unattended. There are enough of us around to watch or hold your stuff.

If I think of more...I'll let you know.

Thanks Kevin. Does anyone know if we need to go so far as to get one of those wallets that attaches to your belt and goes inside your pants? (feel free to write your own joke at this point. :rolleyes:)

DisneyKevin
08-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks Kevin. Does anyone know if we need to go so far as to get one of those wallets that attaches to your belt and goes inside your pants? (feel free to write your own joke at this point. :rolleyes:)

I had a wallet that hung around my neck when I went to Italy.

I felt like an idiot trying to buy a bottle of water.

Just be cautious.

mattincanberra
08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I had a wallet that hung around my neck when I went to Italy.

I felt like an idiot trying to buy a bottle of water.

Just be cautious.

I have always thought that the "complicated to get money out" travel wallets are just an invitation to have your other stuff stolen - and have seen it happen a couple of times.

I think a far better plan is to mitigate your risk by only carrying a small amount of cash and leaving a card in the safe in the room along with passports etc.

For guys I would just recommend keeping a wallet in your front pocket - ladies I have no good answer for :)

Matt

WebmasterJohn
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
We are on the phone in a conference call with the ABD coordinator for our trip - all I can say is WOW!!!!

Kevin will post details :cool1:

WebmasterPete
08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm on the call too - O. M. G. :banana:

sayhello
08-03-2011, 06:14 PM
We are on the phone in a conference call with the ABD coordinator for our trip - all I can say is WOW!!!!

I'm on the call too - O. M. G. :banana::scared1:

:dance3::woohoo::yay::yay::yay:

Sayhello

sayhello
08-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I have always thought that the "complicated to get money out" travel wallets are just an invitation to have your other stuff stolen - and have seen it happen a couple of times.

I think a far better plan is to mitigate your risk by only carrying a small amount of cash and leaving a card in the safe in the room along with passports etc.

For guys I would just recommend keeping a wallet in your front pocket - ladies I have no good answer for :)

MattFor women, I highly recommend a purse that you can wear cross-body, close to you, in front. Also one where the compartments zip up (and keep them zipped when you're not using it). We had a woman on our Med cruise pickpocketed because she didn't zip up her purse, and left her wallet exposed.

Personally, I have a Pacsafe travel purse that has little clips on the pulls for all the zippers that clip to loops on the purse to help keep the zippers from being easily unzipped. I felt really secure carrying that purse, even in Barcelona & Rome, which are supposed to be big spots for pickpocketing. I'll be carrying it again this time.

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
08-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Okay folks, I have some news to share...

First....we are going to have three guides for this Adventure. They will be Landon, Adam and Fred.
Fred is the European Coordinator for ABD. Nice huh?

We were given some information that we'd like to share and some things that we are going to leave as surprises.

If we thought that this would affect your planning for your "on your own" time (oyo), we're sharing the information. If not...it's still going to be a surprise.

Our Welcome Reception will be at 5:00pm on 9/2. The Welcome Dinner is at 5:30pm. This will give you a full day to sight see.

Day 2 - After our morning guided tour, we will be having lunch at Harrod's amazing buffet. You will have an option after lunch to take the tour bus back to our hotel or ABD will provide tube passes and directions for those that want to spend time at Harrods or in that area. Keep in mind that we meet for our Lion King show at 6:30pm

Day 4 - We will be meeting to go to the Eurostar at St Pancras Station. Our Guides will walk everyone on our Adventure to the King's Cross Station to see the Harry Potter Platform and to take pictures before departing for Paris.

On our second day in Disneyland Paris, I have been told that other groups have lunch at Walt's Restaurant. ABD has secured something very special for us. We will be having breakfast at Walt's. As Walt's isnt open for breakfast, this will be an exclusive experience. Our lunch will be at a surprise location.

There are are quite a few other surprises that we havent divulged.

Because I've read that many of us are making "oyo" plans for things that ABD already has scheduled, I thought it was a good idea to share this information, so that you can now plan other activities.

See you in Chat!

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 06:46 PM

I'm on the call too - O. M. G. :banana:

First....we are going to have three guides for this Adventure. They will be Landon, Adam and Fred.

We were given some information that we'd like to share and some things that we are going to leave as surprises.

If we thought that this would affect your planning for your "on your own" time (oyo), we're sharing the information. If not...it's still going to be a surprise.

Our Welcome Reception will be at 5:00pm on 9/2. The Welcome Dinner is at 5:30pm. This will give you a full day to sight see.

Day 2 - After our morning guided tour, we will be having lunch at Harrod's amazing buffet. You will have an option after lunch to take the tour bus back to our hotel or ABD will provide tube passes and directions for those that want to spend time at Harrods or in that area. Keep in mind that we meet for our Lion King show at 6:30pm

Day 4 - We will be meeting to go to the Eurostar at St Pancras Station. Our Guides will walk everyone on our Adventure to the King's Cross Station to see the Harry Potter Platform and to take pictures before departing for Paris.

On our second day in Disneyland Paris, I have been told that other groups have lunch at Walt's Restaurant. ABD has secured something very special for us. We will be having breakfast at Walt's. As Walt's isnt open for breakfast, this will be an exclusive experience. Our lunch will be at a surprise location.

Because I've read that many of us are making "oyo" plans for things that ABD already has scheduled, I thought it was a good idea to share this information, so that you can now plan other activities.

See you in Chat!

That is fantastic!!! I am sure that there is much more WOW factor to come. I did get a a Disney Box in the mail...

alas....

It was for the Woodings. :banana:

sayhello
08-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Fred is the European Coordinator for ABD. Nice huh?Three Guides??? Thats' fantastic. And the European coordinator for ABD? Now I really feel like a VIP! :thumbsup2

Our Welcome Reception will be at 5:00pm on 9/2. The Welcome Dinner is at 5:30pm. This will give you a full day to sight see.Sounds just right!

Day 2 - After our morning guided tour, we will be having lunch at Harrod's amazing buffet. You will have an option after lunch to take the tour bus back to our hotel or ABD will provide tube passes and directions for those that want to spend time at Harrods or in that area. Keep in mind that we meet for our Lion King show at 6:30pmVery cool! Someone mentioned a nice Pub (The Ship Tavern, I think?) that is right near the hotel, so that could work out great. Hit Harrods, head back to the hotel, grab dinner at the Pub, head over to wherever we're meeting for The Lion King. :) I've heard the biggest people have had on this trip is not leaving enough time for dinner before The Lion King.

Day 4 - We will be meeting to go to the Eurostar at St Pancras Station. Our Guides will walk everyone on our Adventure to the King's Cross Station to see the Harry Potter Platform and to take pictures before departing for Paris.Yay! That's definitely on my list, so it's great to know it's already covered! And I won't have to stop strangers to take my picture with the trolley...

On our second day in Disneyland Paris, I have been told that other groups have lunch at Walt's Restaurant. ABD has secured something very special for us. We will be having breakfast at Walt's. As Walt's isnt open for breakfast, this will be an exclusive experience. Our lunch will be at a surprise location.:thumbsup2

There are are quite a few other surprises that we havent divulged.Thanks! Surprises is good! :goodvibes

See you in Chat!THANKS KEVIN!!!! (hmmm does chat start NOW?)

Sayhello

BriarRosie
08-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Ooh, I am still cutting my plans close!

I arrive on the first day, so I expect I could hopefully spend a couple hours at the British Museum before heading back for the welcome dinner.

And on the Harrod's day, I will have to cut that short because Heather, Christy and I have 3pm entry for our Buckingham Palace tour. I'm thinking we probably need to leave right after lunch if we want to see other parts of the palace tour before our designated entry. Or maybe those of you going on the 2nd can let us know how much time we need to allocate.

And I'm really happy that I can get my Harry Potter photo op without any muss or fuss! :banana:

Well, not to mention the other surprises! :hyper: :laughing:

belle41379
08-03-2011, 07:28 PM

See you in Chat!

:banana::cool1::banana::cool1::banana::cool1:

Thanks for sharing some of the info, Kevin!! Can't wait fir all the surprises!!

Sarabi's Cubs
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM

See you in Chat!

Wow! Wow! Wow! :banana::banana::banana: I wasn't sure it was possible to get more excited for this trip but I am. I appreciate the advance notice on Platform 9 3/4 and Harrods because we were probably going to do them after Buckingham Palace on the 1st. It will be strange to be surprised since I am the one who does all of the trip planning in our family, but I'm up for it!!!:thumbsup2

My French tape has taught me to say "my wife is in labor" and "I play the clarinet". Clearly, I bought the wrong tape.

Laurie

JWren1234
08-03-2011, 07:39 PM

See you in Chat!

Thank you very much for sharing this! I can't wait to go, I think this month is really going to go very slowly.

Looking forward to chat tomorrow night!

Jason

k5jmh
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow! :banana::banana::banana: I wasn't sure it was possible to get more excited for this trip but I am. I appreciate the advance notice on Platform 9 3/4 and Harrods because we were probably going to do them after Buckingham Palace on the 1st. It will be strange to be surprised since I am the one who does all of the trip planning in our family, but I'm up for it!!!:thumbsup2

My French tape has taught me to say "my wife is in labor" and "I play the clarinet". Clearly, I bought the wrong tape.

Laurie

But you can also saw "My Wife play the clarinet in Labor!"

tardis1029
08-03-2011, 07:49 PM

We purchased those for our trip to Ireland in 2008 and they are still in the original packages. We may dig them out and bring them this time. :confused3
I say ... go with what you feel comfortable with. Micki

tardis1029
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM

See you in Chat!

WOW !! Considering what an awesome experience we had on the Ca. Backstage ABD trip and Podcast Cruise, and being excited for the London Paris trip...OMG!!!! ...NOW we are even MORE EXCITED!! You guys ROCK !! :cheer2: ...How many days is it ? :sad2: Micki and John

Chropistopy
08-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Woohoo!!! Very exciting news! Can't wait for chat tomorrow night!

k5jmh
08-04-2011, 07:16 AM
27!!!!!!

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/18/griswold.jpg

k5jmh
08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Behind the scenes at Euro Disneyland!

Last week, an amazing video surfaced showing Imagineers working on beautiful scale models and stunning concept art of Main Street USA / Euro Disneyland.

The video was shot by Mister Eddie Sotto (Walt Disney Imagineer, Show Producer of Main Street USA at Disneyland Paris and a close friend of the Designing Disney Blog) on Wednesday, September 7, 1988 at the Walt Disney Imagineering Headquarters in Glendale (California, USA).

http://gallery.me.com/boss_angeles#100347

MinnieGarden
08-04-2011, 07:39 AM

See you in Chat!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:
:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

WebmasterJohn
08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
I woke up this morning thinking about some of the stuff we learned on the conference call yesterday and I am still blown away at what Fred told us.

They are watching this thread closely and wanted to make sure we knew about the things Kevin mentioned in his post (Harrod's, Harry Potter Platform, etc) because they saw some of us were planning on doing those things on their own. They didn't want people to worry about the things that ABD was going to take care of so we could plan other stuff on our own!!!

Way to go ABD!!!!!

They also mentioned a couple of other surprises for Disneyland Paris that I am just blown away by. I'm going to leave those as surprises for the trip but I am really excited about them!!!!

k5jmh
08-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I woke up this morning thinking about some of the stuff we learned on the conference call yesterday and I am still blown away at what Fred told us.

They are watching this thread closely and wanted to make sure we knew about the things Kevin mentioned in his post (Harrod's, Harry Potter Platform, etc) because they saw some of us were planning on doing those things on their own. They didn't want people to worry about the things that ABD was going to take care of so we could plan other stuff on our own!!!

Way to go ABD!!!!!

They also mentioned a couple of other surprises for Disneyland Paris that I am just blown away by. I'm going to leave those as surprises for the trip but I am really excited about them!!!!

We are being stalked!!! :rotfl2: John, I hope they realize what they are getting into!! :rolleyes1

I am trying to not have any "over-the-top" expectations. I want to be "Wow'd" by the "WOW" factor. In my mind, we are just going on another vacation. But it is hard to keep my imagination from bubbling over.

This is going to be an amazing trip! :thumbsup2

belle41379
08-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Way to go ABD!!!!!

Thanks ABD folks! :thumbsup2 As you can tell, we are all very excited. :banana: Thanks for working to make this trip extra special. :)

And to John and the team, thanks for all your hard work too. :thumbsup2

belle41379
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
We are being stalked!!! :rotfl2: John, I hope they realize what they are getting into!! :rolleyes1

I am trying to not have any "over-the-top" expectations. I want the to be "Wow'd" by the "WOW" factor. In my mind, we are just going on another vacation. But it is hard to keep my imagination from bubbling over.

This is going to be an amazing trip! :thumbsup2

Lucky for me, I have no idea what they could be planning. :laughing: I'll be wow'd regardless. :laughing:

k5jmh
08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
And "Welcome" to lurker Fred, lurker Landon, and lurker Adam!

:welcome:

Chropistopy
08-04-2011, 09:17 AM

I want to add my "Welcome!" Thanks for working to make this a Fabulous trip for us!

k5jmh
08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Fyi...

apple ipad 3g micro sim card in france *
the way to get your apple ipad 3g going in france is this way. Go to any fsr store in france. *some stores are out of stock. I was finally successful at the fsr store in paris at the montparnasse building which has the best and quickest view of all of paris. *apple and orange do not carry them, contrary to what i have read on blogs. Do not go to phone stores selling fsr *phone packages like the phone house and fnac. *you will have to give them a copy of your driver's license. *they have a package of 3 days for 9,90€ ( including sim), 6€ everyday after. Perfect for tourists. Also, you can keep your account active for business travelers as you can mail in form that comes with your sim with (another) copy of your driver's license. *finally, after you slip the micro sim card in, you must go to settings>cellular data>apn and enter websfr, then reboot. *you will be up immediately. Coverage is weak in some buildings but excellent for google maps and getting around paris.*

apurplebrat
08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
:cool1: This is beyond exciting!! :cool1: So excited for our 1st ABD trip! Thank you ABD ! Thank you John, Kevin, Pete & Walter you guys are AWESOME!

MinnieGarden
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
O.M.G........ There's an app for Harrods! :faint:

BriarRosie
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
O.M.G........ There's an app for Harrods! :faint:

LOL! My Harrod's experience will be "eat and run". ;)

sayhello
08-04-2011, 12:29 PM

YAY!!! :worship:

Welcome, welcome! *SO* looking forward to meeting you!

John, Kevin, can I assume since these details are posted here that I can share some of this with the folks on the ABD board?

Thanks!
Sayhello

BriarRosie
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Ditto! And boy, they have no idea what they're in for... :rolleyes1

Sarabi's Cubs
08-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Mike,

Do you have an online camera store that you recommend? I want to pick up an extra rechargeable battery before the trip. I figured you are the one to ask!

Laurie

Circusgirl
08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks ABD folks! :thumbsup2 As you can tell, we are all very excited. :banana: Thanks for working to make this trip extra special. :)

And to John and the team, thanks for all your hard work too. :thumbsup2

Now I'm even more excited than I was before! Can't wait for the whole group to be together and on our way!!!! Hello, guides, and thanks for taking such good care of us before we've even left!

sayhello
08-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Mike,

Do you have an online camera store that you recommend? I want to pick up an extra rechargeable battery before the trip. I figured you are the one to ask!

LaurieI'm not Mike :goodvibes but B&H Photo has an excellent reputation.[/URL]

[URL]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ (http://www.disboards.com/output%20all_item_file;%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%2 0%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20% 20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20if%20if%2 0ALL_EXT_SOURCE%20ne%20%27A%27%20and%20ALL_SUS_SUS PECT_IND=%27Y%27%20then%20output%20temp1;%20%20%20 run;)

That's not a bad idea. Mine are getting kind of old!

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Tobi!!!:thumbsup2 Is it wrong that I'm thinking of pulling my kid out of soccer practice early tonight so I can chat about the trip???
:rolleyes1

Laurie

sayhello
08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Tobi!!!:thumbsup2 Is it wrong that I'm thinking of pulling my kid out of soccer practice early tonight so I can chat about the trip???
:rolleyes1

LaurieDoesn't sound wrong to me! :goodvibes ;)

Sayhello

k5jmh
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not Mike :goodvibes but B&H Photo has an excellent reputation.[/URL]

[URL]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ (http://www.disboards.com/output%20all_item_file;%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%2 0%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20% 20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20if%20if%2 0ALL_EXT_SOURCE%20ne%20%27A%27%20and%20ALL_SUS_SUS PECT_IND=%27Y%27%20then%20output%20temp1;%20%20%20 run;)

That's not a bad idea. Mine are getting kind of old!

Sayhello

What Tobi said!! I use B&H for a bunch of stuff.

I also use Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/

sayhello
08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Man!!! Doing the global phone rental from Verizon is costing twice as much this year as it did last year! 100% inflation! :eek:

But I guess I'm still going to do it... for $19.95, I get a global phone mailed to me, with the necessary adapters, and it includes the return postage. Uses my existing cell phone number. $4.95 for an international voice plan for the month. Not a bad deal. I did this same thing last year on the Med cruise. It works nicely. I found I was texting folks mainly, and it worked great for that.

But it was only $9.95 last year!

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
YAY!!! :worship:

Welcome, welcome! *SO* looking forward to meeting you!

John, Kevin, can I assume since these details are posted here that I can share some of this with the folks on the ABD board?

Thanks!
Sayhello

Hey Tobi.... feel free to share the info.

Kevin

belle41379
08-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Just wondering...who all is going on the Royal Day Out tour at 10am on our first day?

We are still (not patiently) on box watch. Both for ABD and my newest Hydro Flask shipment. :thumbsup2

sayhello
08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Just wondering...who all is going on the Royal Day Out tour at 10am on our first day?

We are still (not patiently) on box watch. Both for ABD and my newest Hydro Flask shipment. :thumbsup2Me! I'm going on the Royal Day Out!

I still don't get the whole Hydro Flask thing... they don't hold that much water, and I'm afraid of mold since you can't see inside them... :confused3

Sayhello

jcb
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Me! I'm going on the Royal Day Out!

I still don't get the whole Hydro Flask thing... they don't hold that much water, and I'm afraid of mold since you can't see inside them... :confused3

Sayhello

If this is how you feel (and I tend to agree as I am a heavy drinker) then Hydroflask makes a 40 ounce model (http://www.hydroflask.com/products/40-oz-Wide-Mouth-Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle.html#). We took one with us on vacation recently and it was very handy to have. My Nalgene belt pouch held this one quite snugly.

apurplebrat
08-04-2011, 06:33 PM

We are still (not patiently) on box watch. Both for ABD and my newest Hydro Flask shipment. :thumbsup2

We're going to the Royal Day Out! :cool1:

DisneyKevin
08-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Sayhello

I have the 18oz version and while it certainly doesnt last all day.....the stuff inside remains hot or cold all day.

i just refill as needed.

The inside and outside are stainless steel. I rinse mine thoroughly and then put some boiling water in and shake it. Always clean as can be.

It's just a terrific product and you can find testimonials everywhere.

belle41379
08-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Sayhello

J'dore my Hydro Flask (not sure I spelled that right :rotfl:). I have the 24oz and am waiting for my 18oz to arrive. I can't say enough about it. :lovestruc The largest bottle I ever carry is a 32oz, so the 24oz isin't too much different from a refill perspective. I'll try and remember to bring mine Thursday so you can check if out if you'd like. :)

sayhello
08-04-2011, 08:09 PM
J'dore my Hydro Flask (not sure I spelled that right :rotfl:). I have the 24oz and am waiting for my 18oz to arrive. I can't say enough about it. :lovestruc The largest bottle I ever carry is a 32oz, so the 24oz isin't too much different from a refill perspective. I'll try and remember to bring mine Thursday so you can check if out if you'd like. :)Thanks, Belle!

Sayhello

k5jmh
08-05-2011, 08:39 AM
If this is how you feel (and I tend to agree as I am a heavy drinker) then Hydroflask makes a 40 ounce model (http://www.hydroflask.com/products/40-oz-Wide-Mouth-Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle.html#). We took one with us on vacation recently and it was very handy to have. My Nalgene belt pouch held this one quite snugly.

Hmmm, 40oz of Tennessee Whiskey. hmmmmm....:woohoo:

Chropistopy
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
It was great chatting with everyone last night! I'm looking forward to our weekly chats as our trip gets closer.

k5jmh
08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I just added Christy and I onto this thread!! It is getting close!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=798528

DisneyKevin
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
It's here!!!!!

Box watch alert!!!!!

It's here!!!!!

k5jmh
08-05-2011, 03:15 PM
woohoo! We are headed out of Town and will not get ours until Monday or Tuesday.

sayhello
08-05-2011, 03:46 PM
It *would* come while I'm stuck at work! I WANT MY BOX!!!

(Of course, they probably walked yours over, Kevin! :rotfl:)

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
08-05-2011, 04:00 PM
No box here, Tobi! So yours probably didn't come yet either.

Laurie

sayhello
08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
No box here, Tobi! So yours probably didn't come yet either.

LaurieOK, I feel a *little* better. Except -- NO BOX!!!!! I want my BOX!!

Sayhello

Chropistopy
08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
No box here either. Tomorrow is my day!

skunkvette
08-05-2011, 06:08 PM
No box today, suffering from box envy.

Circusgirl
08-05-2011, 06:24 PM
I love living on the west coast, but will probably have to wait all the way until next week for my box. This is like waiting for Christmas as a kid.

BriarRosie
08-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I just added Christy and I onto this thread!! It is getting close!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=798528

And I went in and corrected the Americanized date format you used. :laughing:

...and I'm BOXLESS! :sad2:

BriarRosie
08-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Kevin:

I just now (just shy of 11pm eastern/ 10pm central) re-sent my ABD email to you again. I am being redundant here just in case this second email doesn't reach you. Maybe you have it in your spam filter.

DisneyKevin
08-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Kevin:

I just now (just shy of 11pm eastern/ 10pm central) re-sent my ABD email to you again. I am being redundant here just in case this second email doesn't reach you. Maybe you have it in your spam filter.

Never got the first one....but the second came through just fine.

You are all set.:thumbsup2

Thanks.

sayhello
08-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks.Did you get mine, Kevin? Sorry for being a spazz!

Sayhello

belle41379
08-06-2011, 08:44 AM
No ABD box, no Hydro Flask box.

I'm without words...;)

We leave home for a week today, so I'm hoping it comes today and our friend can swing it by our camper tomorrow. :) Here's hoping!!

On another note, can't wait to see you, Tobi! :cool1:

sayhello
08-06-2011, 08:49 AM
No ABD box, no Hydro Flask box.

I'm without words...;)

We leave home for a week today, so I'm hoping it comes today and our friend can swing it by our camper tomorrow. :) Here's hoping!!

On another note, can't wait to see you, Tobi! :cool1::yay::yay::yay::yay: :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: :dance3:

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
08-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Did you get mine, Kevin? Sorry for being a spazz!

Sayhello

Sure did!:thumbsup2

k5jmh
08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
And ours, Kelvis?

k5jmh
08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
German pancakes for breakfast! At least it is the right continent.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/c2d469f3.jpg

BriarRosie
08-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks.

Big sigh of relief! Whew.

DisneyKevin
08-06-2011, 12:18 PM
And ours, Kelvis?

All set!

Chropistopy
08-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Another boxless day...

apurplebrat
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM