PDA

View Full Version : London / Paris Here We Come!!! 9/2 - 9/10/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Sarabi's Cubs
06-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Just finished listening to the podcast and I have to say it freaked me out a little bit. I know it's a whirlwind trip and I don't expect to have hours to linger, but if we get only 5 minutes in Westminster Abbey, I'm going to cry. Doesn't seem to be an issue from the reviews I've read of the trip on the boards, which all seem very positive. Not as worried about the food, because I can survive quite happily on croissants, cheese, and chocolates.

Laurie

DisneyKevin
06-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Just finished listening to the podcast and I have to say it freaked me out a little bit. I know it's a whirlwind trip and I don't expect to have hours to linger, but if we get only 5 minutes in Westminster Abbey, I'm going to cry. Doesn't seem to be an issue from the reviews I've read of the trip on the boards, which all seem very positive. Not as worried about the food, because I can survive quite happily on croissants, cheese, and chocolates.

Laurie

While ABD trips are busy and jam packed with stuff......I've never felt rushed or felt that I didnt have enough time.

I wouldnt worry.

Besides...there are way more of us than there are of "them".

What happens if we just dont get back on the tour bus? ;)

sayhello
06-18-2011, 08:17 PM

LaurieI feel really bad for Pete & Walter & Theresa, because I think it was whoever they got as the local guide. I totally did not feel rushed while on any of the tours in the Med. We did a LOT a LOT of stuff, but I felt we spent a fair amount of time at each place. We were really allowed to linger looking at the David. Same for the Sistine chapel. We had a goodly amount of time in St. Peter's Basilica; it was my choice to spend most of it taking photos of the Pieta. It's a full day, so you can't spend hours in any one place, but I didn't feel rushed.

The same has been true for the other 2 ABD's I've done. I'm not worried. And as Kevin says, if we do see it happening, they can't leave without all of us. :)

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
06-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, Kevin and Tobi!

I borrowed a great DVD set from the library this week. It's called Monarchy: the Complete Series with David Starkey as narrator. It's 5 or 6 DVDs and covers from the Anglo-Saxon rulers to the death of Queen Victoria. I like that it shows alot of historical sites that are relevant to the narration. If you are not a history buff, it would probably bore you to tears. It was waaay too much info for my husband, who abandoned the room before the Normans invaded. I, on the other hand, would sit and watch the entire series in one marathon if I could.

Laurie

k5jmh
06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
FYI, for those that do not all ready know.

Press release
For immediate release 13 June 2011

CHANCERY COURT HOTEL, LONDON TRANSFORMS TO INDEPENDENT LUXURY
HOTEL

The five-star Chancery Court Hotel, London opened its doors to a new era on 11 June
Formerly Renaissance London Chancery Court Hotel, the property transformed into an
independent luxury hotel.
With its experienced associates providing superior customer service and five-star
facilities, Chancery Court Hotel, London retains its emphasis on delivering superlative
customer experiences which led to it winning Visit London’s Outstanding Customer
Service Award in 2010.
“The hotel has a special place in the heart of British and international travellers and
event organisers, having hosted high profile events and guests over the last 10 years,”
says General Manager Matthias Roeke.
“The decision to run the property as an independent hotel will enhance its position as a
five-star event and accommodation venue, and ensure we remain at the forefront of
luxurious experiences.”
Located in the heart of Midtown, Chancery Court Hotel, London is a few minutes’ walk
from Covent Garden, the British Museum and the City of London, making it ideal for
business and leisure travellers.
Offering some of the largest guestrooms in the capital, the hotel is a member of the
exclusive Preferred Hotels and Resorts group, offering the progamme’s iPrefer guests
benefits during their stays.
In addition to 356 guestrooms, including suites, and flexible meeting spaces holding up
to 280 for a dinner and dance, and 435 theatre-style; Chancery Court Hotel, London is
home to the award-winning Spa at Chancery Court and glamorous Pearl Restaurant &
Bar, with modern European cuisine created by Executive Chef Jun Tanaka.
For further information, visit www.chancerycourthotel.com or call +44 (0)20 7829 9888.

About Chancery Court Hotel, London
Chancery Court Hotel, London is located in the Midtown district, within walking
distance of the City of London, Covent Garden, West End and the British Museum.
The 356-room hotel is housed in an historic Edwardian building; the former
headquarters of Pearl Assurance, construction began in 1912, with the final wing
added in 1960. Today, the building is protected by an English Heritage Grade II
listing, and the hotel’s design showcases original elements of the building including
the grand staircase. Chancery Court Hotel’s facilities include a day spa, extensive
business facilities, and three restaurants and bars offering a wide range of
international cuisine and drinks. For more information or reservations, please contact
your travel professional, or the hotel directly at tel: +44 (0)20 7829 7009, fax: +44
(0)20 7829 7086, email reservations@chancerycourt.com, or visit
www.chancerycourthotel.com.

sayhello
06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
FYI, for those that do not all ready know.Cool! I hope that doesn't affect us staying there! It sounds like such a cool hotel!

Sayhello

k5jmh
06-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Your assigned agent is "The Man" Kevin Klose
Your Vacation begins in 72 Days

:woohoo:

DisneyKevin
06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
:woohoo:

"The Man"'s vacation starts in 72 days too!

and I agree :woohoo:

MinnieGarden
06-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I want to go NOW! The Hermes summer sale starts in two days! :faint:

DisneyKevin
06-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I want to go NOW! The Hermes summer sale starts in two days! :faint:

Do we see a Birkin in your future?;)

sayhello
06-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Do we see a Birkin in your future?;)£8000 to £38000 for a purse???? SERIOUSLY??? :faint:

Sayhello

k5jmh
06-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Do we see a Birkin in your future?;)

:scared1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Boards/purse.jpg

wishspirit
06-20-2011, 12:42 PM

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817135/Boards/purse.jpg

Sorry... It's forgotten something...It doesn't show the house which would go with something of that ridiculous price tag!!! :faint:

BriarRosie
06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Holy freaking crap. I have problems justifying costs of Dooneys or Coach, let alone something worth more than a house!

DisneyKevin
06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
But it ships the next business day.:confused3

Chropistopy
06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
But it ships the next business day.:confused3

:rotfl::rotfl:

I'm with Lori and Kate. They had also better be shipping the builders that are going to be building the house to go along with that price tag. Geez!! The sad part is that there is someone out there with ungodly amounts of money that would actually pay that much for a handbag.

sayhello
06-20-2011, 04:24 PM
But it ships the next business day.:confused3Oh, well. In that case... :rotfl:

Sayhello

sayhello
06-20-2011, 04:25 PM

I'm with Lori and Kate. They had also better be shipping the builders that are going to be building the house to go along with that price tag. Geez!! The sad part is that there is someone out there with ungodly amounts of money that would actually pay that much for a handbag.Apparently there are a lot of someones. Oh, well! A fool and his money...

Sayhello

k5jmh
06-20-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm with Lori and Kate. They had also better be shipping the builders that are going to be building the house to go along with that price tag. Geez!! The sad part is that there is someone out there with ungodly amounts of money that would actually pay that much for a handbag.

You could be like Petra Ecclestone who has 10 Hermes Birkin handbags worth upwards of $65000 (for the exotic skins) each.

DisneyKevin
06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
You could be like Petra Ecclestone who has 10 Hermes Birkin handbags worth upwards of $65000 (for the exotic skins) each.

Or Victoria Beckham who has one of each design.

Chropistopy
06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Great news to report! I came home to discover that my Ceremony of the Keys ticket had arrived. Yay!!!

k5jmh
06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Or Victoria Beckham who has one of each design.

Why is it that the men know this? :confused3

k5jmh
06-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Great news to report! I came home to discover that my Ceremony of the Keys ticket had arrived. Yay!!!

Congrats Christy!!!!! WooHoo! We are going to have a blast on this trip!!!! :woohoo:

MinnieGarden
06-20-2011, 07:11 PM

Woo hoo! :woohoo:

MinnieGarden
06-20-2011, 07:13 PM
And I've found another Paris blog, full of restaurant reviews, shopping tips, culture, and more! http://hipparis.com

BriarRosie
06-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Dancing bananas time! :banana::banana::banana:
Glad you got your ticket, too! It's the best feeling to get that stress out of the way, isn't it? :goodvibes

And I've found another Paris blog, full of restaurant reviews, shopping tips, culture, and more! http://hipparis.com

Guess I gotta do some reading! And if Mike is reading, (well, duh, right?), I didn't know who Petra Ecclestone was.

k5jmh
06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
I found my fascinator!!!

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/9478f28b.png

MinnieGarden
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Guess I gotta do some reading! And if Mike is reading, (well, duh, right?), I didn't know who Petra Ecclestone was.

I really want to try the restaurant reviewed in the June 6 entry..... Mon Oncle le Vigneron.

sayhello
06-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Great news to report! I came home to discover that my Ceremony of the Keys ticket had arrived. Yay!!!Hooray!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

And I've found another Paris blog, full of restaurant reviews, shopping tips, culture, and more! http://hipparis.com*Trots off to read the blog*. I really need to start doing some reading on Paris. I have NO IDEA what I want to do there on our time off...

Sayhello

BriarRosie
06-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I really want to try the restaurant reviewed in the June 6 entry..... Mon Oncle le Vigneron.

That place sounded so cool!

sayhello
06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
OMG, I feel like the stupidest person in the world!!!! I was shutting down the lights getting ready to go to bed, and I noticed this seriously bright green light flashing outside the glass block window (floor to ceiling) next to my front door. It would flash, wait a few seconds, flash again, over and over, for several minutes. Being the total paranoid that I am, I was afraid that someone had put it outside my door to trick me into opening my door. So I was too afraid to open the door. I finally couldn't take it any more, and called the police station to ask if someone could come by & see what was flashing outside my door.

So the police showed up, and when I opened the door, I saw -- alright, I have to say it -- a firefly. I suddenly felt extremely stupid. Sure enough, the policeman shut off his flashlight, and there was another firefly perched on the ledge of the glass block, light going on.... and off.... and on... and off... I guess I'm going to be the butt of jokes at the police station for a good long time...

Honestly, fireflies always looked yellow to me! But this guy was florescent green!!! Seriously! :confused3

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
OMG, I feel like the stupidest person in the world!!!! I was shutting down the lights getting ready to go to bed, and I noticed this seriously bright green light flashing outside the glass block window (floor to ceiling) next to my front door. It would flash, wait a few seconds, flash again, over and over, for several minutes. Being the total paranoid that I am, I was afraid that someone had put it outside my door to trick me into opening my door. So I was too afraid to open the door. I finally couldn't take it any more, and called the police station to ask if someone could come by & see what was flashing outside my door.

So the police showed up, and when I opened the door, I saw -- alright, I have to say it -- a firefly. I suddenly felt extremely stupid. Sure enough, the policeman shut off his flashlight, and there was another firefly perched on the ledge of the glass block, light going on.... and off.... and on... and off... I guess I'm going to be the butt of jokes at the police station for a good long time...

Honestly, fireflies always looked yellow to me! But this guy was florescent green!!! Seriously! :confused3

Sayhello

:rotfl: Tobi, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen a firefly in so long it never would have clicked with me either, and I usually spend a lot of time in the yard!

DisneyKevin
06-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Sayhello

:rotfl:

Many years ago, I called the police because of a man standing and staring in my Mom's bedroom window.

The police came and the man turned out to be a tree.....that I had planted.

I understand your feelings. Really. I do.

DisneyKevin
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
I found my fascinator!!!

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/k5jmh/9478f28b.png

ABD has called and told me that your Adventure has been cancelled.:rolleyes1

*NikkiBell*
06-21-2011, 09:27 AM
ABD has called and told me that your Adventure has been cancelled.:rolleyes1

:rotfl2:

Chropistopy
06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Dancing bananas time! :banana::banana::banana:
Glad you got your ticket, too! It's the best feeling to get that stress out of the way, isn't it? :goodvibes

It certainly is nice to not have to stress about getting the ticket any longer! I also have no idea who Petra Ecclestone is...

Chropistopy
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM

I've been browsing the site. I love it. Thanks for the link.

sayhello
06-21-2011, 10:38 AM
:rotfl: Tobi, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen a firefly in so long it never would have clicked with me either, and I usually spend a lot of time in the yard!I'm trying to use as an excuse the fact that I'd never even seen a firefly in my life until I moved to Ohio. But that's been 17 years now, so I'm not sure it counts! :confused3

:rotfl:

Many years ago, I called the police because of a man standing and staring in my Mom's bedroom window.

The police came and the man turned out to be a tree.....that I had planted.

I understand your feelings. Really. I do.I guess you do!!!! :goodvibes

ABD has called and told me that your Adventure has been cancelled.:rolleyes1:lmao:

Sayhello

jcb
06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
For those interested in British tea customs, a recent Rick Steves radio show (http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/archive.htm#249)interviewed a London tour guide about what to do at "afternoon tea" ("high tea" being what is served to children). where to do it, and what to expect to pay.

BriarRosie
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
For those interested in British tea customs, a recent Rick Steves radio show (http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/archive.htm#249)interviewed a London tour guide about what to do at "afternoon tea" ("high tea" being what is served to children). where to do it, and what to expect to pay.

I already listened to it. :goodvibes I've subscribed to his podcast and am systematically listening to them in backwards order. Some of the stuff is fantastic! I loved the David Sedaris talking about Paris episode. He made fun of a friend who pronounced French without any attempt at correct pronunciation. In David's voice, it sorta sounded like Truman Capote trying to order in French. :rotfl2:

BriarRosie
06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm trying to use as an excuse the fact that I'd never even seen a firefly in my life until I moved to Ohio. But that's been 17 years now, so I'm not sure it counts! :confused3

If it makes you feel any better, I had an embarrassing moment at the Magic Kingdom.

I caught someone in the corner of my eye about to take a photo at the Town Square Expo Hall back in the day, roughly 10 years ago. I did the "oops, sorry!" trying to avoid walking in front of his camera.

However...

It wasn't a person. Well, a living person at any rate. It was a freaking statue of a guy taking a photo. My friend thought it was hilarious...as did the other people in the area who witnessed this embarrassing moment!

Sarabi's Cubs
06-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Sure enough, the policeman shut off his flashlight, and there was another firefly perched on the ledge of the glass block, light going on.... and off.... and on... and off... I guess I'm going to be the butt of jokes at the police station for a good long time...

Sayhello

:rotfl2:Oh, this gave me a great laugh! Since we're sharing some embarrassing moments, here's mine. Brian and I were flying to Boston to visit my brother many years ago. He booked it, and I didn't even pay attention that it was not a direct flight, so as we are landing, I said (loudly) "Look Brian, they've put a copy of the Statue of Liberty in the Boston Harbor!" Yep, that's right, we were landing in Newark and then continuing to Boston. Not my brightest moment.:blush:

Laurie

k5jmh
06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Credit Card use at DLP

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=41560430#post41560430

mattincanberra
06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Credit Card use at DLP

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=41560430#post41560430

I have had problems using my non Chip and Pin card in the UK. American Express seems to be accepted without a problem, but my Mastercard and Visa have been rejected for lack of a chip.

The merchant rules say that they need to accept regular swipe credit cards, but often there appears to be a disconnect between what the rules are and what the kid manning the register does.

Never had a problem in a big store - but have had problems in chain stores (once had an awful amount of trouble trying to buy a tie and a belt in Windsor.

Certainly attempting to use a non chip and pin card in a corner grocery store was near impossible.

Matt

DisneyKevin
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
We have two new Adventurers joining us.

Please help me WELCOME Denise and James to our group!!!

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

sayhello
06-21-2011, 09:21 PM

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::w elcome: Denise and James! Welcome to the madness!

Sayhello

Chropistopy
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Welcome Denise and James!!!! So glad you can the join the group.

apurplebrat
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Welcome! Welcome! :cool1:

Chropistopy
06-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Denise and James:

Definitely read back through some of the thread. The group has some activities planned outside of the tour.

Buckingham Palace on Sept 2nd

Dinner at Foxtrot Oscar on the 4th

Ceremony of the keys on the 4th

Someone correct me if I got any of that wrong.

MinnieGarden
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
:welcome: Denise and James!

k5jmh
06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Welcome Denise and James!!!

dcayz
06-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful reception.

We are tentatively flying out of PHL on USAir - apparently they have completely their A330 retro-fit and all of the envoy class seats are now the new sweet suites!

We are hoping to fly out 8/31 and would love to join the group on the extra events. (Buckingham Palace on Sept 2nd

Ceremony of the keys on the 4th)

Do we really need to read all 71 pages of posts? :-)

Denise & James

mattincanberra
06-22-2011, 01:39 AM

Yes it's compulsary - in fact, I understand there will be a small quiz at Heathrow prior to being allowed into the car.

Pay particular attention to the following topics:

Fascinators, Hats, and advanced millinery.
Fire flies and advanced home entomology.
Radio's (Ham or Otherwise)
British Television of the 70's/80's/90's and the present day

But once your through all that, Welcome Aboard! :thumbsup2

Matt

Sarabi's Cubs
06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Welcome!!!!!

Laurie

BriarRosie
06-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Whoa, new people?

:banana::banana::banana:

Welcome Denise and James!

Keep in mind that if you want to do Ceremony of the Keys, you need to jump through hoops and practically donate an organ before they give you a ticket. It's free, except providing return postage on a self-addressed envelope. (Hint: usps.com sells the "International Reply Coupon" postage vouchers; they need 2.)

I think Buckingham Palace also required some sort of request. But as I'm arriving on Sept 2, I cannot participate. I'm sure others will help you out there. :thumbsup2

skunkvette
06-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful reception.

We are tentatively flying out of PHL on USAir - apparently they have completely their A330 retro-fit and all of the envoy class seats are now the new sweet suites!

We are hoping to fly out 8/31 and would love to join the group on the extra events. (Buckingham Palace on Sept 2nd

Ceremony of the keys on the 4th)

Denise & James

Welcome aboard Denise and James!

If you decide to book the 8/31 PM flight out of Philly, you will have company -Cathy (DW) and I are already on that flight. The "sweet suites" look so nice...

Regarding Foxtrot Oscar dinner (which I have been organizing) - we booked (required contract with the restaurant) 16 seats which are already spoken for.

If you are interested, please take a look at the separate Foxtrot Oscar thread on the Podcast Board Section and let me know if you would like to join us. If you are, I will contact the restaurant to see if we can expand the group.

Welcome again - you are in for a great adventure!

k5jmh
06-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Main Trip Info - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39010870&postcount=1
Facinator 101 - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41134298&postcount=747
Foxtrot Oscar Thread - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2721747
Buckingham Palace - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41032946&postcount=671
London Airport Security - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41121821&postcount=740
Ceremony of the Keys @ The Tower of London - http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/whatson/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx
International Reply Coupons - http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm
Tube Map App - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39029289&postcount=46
Make Sure Kevin sends you a set of these - http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs403.ash2/68160_1506206611257_1117025522_31127102_976629_a.j pg

k5jmh
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Your Vacation begins in 70 Days

sayhello
06-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Your Vacation begins in 70 Days :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sayhello

sayhello
06-22-2011, 10:28 AM
So is anyone who is coming in early interested in hitting the British Museum, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum and/or St. Paul's Cathedral on Sept 1?

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
06-22-2011, 10:57 AM
So is anyone who is coming in early interested in hitting the British Museum, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum and/or St. Paul's Cathedral on Sept 1?

Sayhello

Mike and I have talked about going to an organ recital at St. Paul's that evening. The cost is 10 pounds and I think it starts at 6:00 pm. And anyone is welcome to join us! We have also talked about the British Museum, but haven't come to a decision yet. The only thing I have to do that day is go to the Lego store or we will have one very disappointed child when we get home!

dragonfly57005
06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

Sayhello

FYI: Madame Tussaud's is not worth going to. The British Museum is far more interesting and worth your money.

sayhello
06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Mike and I have talked about going to an organ recital at St. Paul's that evening. The cost is 10 pounds and I think it starts at 6:00 pm. And anyone is welcome to join us! We have also talked about the British Museum, but haven't come to a decision yet. The only thing I have to do that day is go to the Lego store or we will have one very disappointed child when we get home!Oh! An organ recital at St. Paul's sounds cool. As long as we'd get there early enough to be able to tour the Cathedral, and check out the fabulous acoustics of the Whispering Gallery in the dome!

Where is the Lego store in relation to these places? I certainly wouldn't want to disappoint Ian!

Sayhello

Chropistopy
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh! An organ recital at St. Paul's sounds cool. As long as we'd get there early enough to be able to tour the Cathedral, and check out the fabulous acoustics of the Whispering Gallery in the dome!

Where is the Lego store in relation to these places? I certainly wouldn't want to disappoint Ian!

Sayhello

I'm hoping to fit in either the British Museum or St. Paul's on the 2nd after I arrive. I just don't know how much time I'm going to have between arriving at the hotel and the welcome reception that night. Let me know if anyone is interested in touring either location that afternoon.

Chropistopy
06-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Main Trip Info - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39010870&postcount=1
Facinator 101 - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41134298&postcount=747
Foxtrot Oscar Thread - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2721747
Buckingham Palace - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41032946&postcount=671
London Airport Security - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41121821&postcount=740
Ceremony of the Keys @ The Tower of London - http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/whatson/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx
International Reply Coupons - http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm
Tube Map App - http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39029289&postcount=46
Make Sure Kevin sends you a set of these - http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs403.ash2/68160_1506206611257_1117025522_31127102_976629_a.j pg

Thanks for gathering all the information Mike! I was just too lazy...:)

Kevin - Can we add these links to the first post? It would be helpful when we're all searching for information. Thanks!!

sayhello
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm hoping to fit in either the British Museum or St. Paul's on the 2nd after I arrive. I just don't know how much time I'm going to have between arriving at the hotel and the welcome reception that night. Let me know if anyone is interested in touring either location that afternoon.Christy, I'm not sure how long people were planning to take to tour Buckingham Palace. Our tickets are for 3 areas: the Queen's Gallery, The Royal Mews and the State Rooms. The Queen's Gallery is timed for 10am, but I really have no clue how long we should expect that or the other 2 spots to take. :confused3

Does anyone have any idea what time the Welcome reception is at?

ETA: It appears that St. Paul's is a 20 minute walk from the ABD hotel. That might be a good choice for that afternoon. The British Museum is also close by (an 11-minute walk) but it's my understanding it would take a great deal more time to see the British Museum than St. Paul's.

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Oh! An organ recital at St. Paul's sounds cool. As long as we'd get there early enough to be able to tour the Cathedral, and check out the fabulous acoustics of the Whispering Gallery in the dome!

Sayhello

The Lego store is really no where close.... it's in a mall in west London. The good news is it's pretty much a straight shot on the tube, so my plan is to tackle that when we get there.

BriarRosie
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm hoping to fit in either the British Museum or St. Paul's on the 2nd after I arrive. I just don't know how much time I'm going to have between arriving at the hotel and the welcome reception that night. Let me know if anyone is interested in touring either location that afternoon.

I'll probably want to grab a bite to eat when I arrive, but I wanted to spend a couple hours at the museum to see at least the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin marbles, and the mummies if there was enough time. I listened to a "walk thru" of these from Rick Steves' podcast.

Sarabi's Cubs
06-22-2011, 02:31 PM
The organ recital at St. Paul's sounds great! It says they sell tickets in advance or at the door. I wonder if they sell out.

We were thinking about touring the British Museum after Buckingham Palace on the 2nd, depending on what time our welcome dinner is.

Laurie

apurplebrat
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
We hope to go to the British Museum on the 1st. St Paul's Cathedral sounds great too!!

k5jmh
06-22-2011, 03:32 PM
lots of DLP video...

http://www.youtube.com/user/davey1986

sayhello
06-22-2011, 04:00 PM
lots of DLP video...

http://www.youtube.com/user/davey1986Aw, but that would spoil the surprise! :upsidedow

Sayhello

JWren1234
06-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Welcome Denise and James! It's going to be an awesome trip!

Jason

MinnieGarden
06-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Here is the official page for organ recitals at St. Paul's.

http://www.organrecitals.com/1/recitals0.php?venue=stpauls

The recital starts at 6:30, and tickets are purchased at the door in cash. Cost is 10 pounds, and concessions are 7 pounds. I have no idea what concessions may be at an organ recital! This particular recital is the last in their summer concert series.

There is also another recital on Sunday in Westminster Abbey that is free. It's scheduled for 5:45 - 6:15, so for those going to dinner at Foxtrot Oscar, that will be a tight schedule. That's also the afternoon of the DIS meet.

Decisions, decisions!

Sarabi's Cubs
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
I know!! There's so much to see! I'm trying to fight the urge to schedule every minute. I'll just have to come back another time. I think we will try to go to the concert at St. Paul's and if we don't make that one since it's our first day and I have no idea what shape we'll be in after our flight and touring Windsor, we'll try Westminster Abbey. We're still hoping to see Richard III Sunday night if we can get tickets.

Laurie

k5jmh
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
69 Days!!!
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

MinnieGarden
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
So Ian has decided I need to make Flattie Ian to take with us on the trip. While I'm making, does anyone else have children that would like a flattie for the trip?

Sarabi's Cubs
06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
So Ian has decided I need to make Flattie Ian to take with us on the trip. While I'm making, does anyone else have children that would like a flattie for the trip?

What on earth????:confused3

Laurie

k5jmh
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Flat Mike and Flat Christy have been all over the country. (I have heard that they are still on the lam...)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/40260_1414082425470_1034833279_30991993_2403647_n. jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40474_1490619062258_1137445510_1386376_7493244_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/28397_1388965320978_1137445510_1130667_5321987_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/72440_1591302419279_1137445510_1608434_2456163_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/65979_1576309364462_1137445510_1578870_4982257_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/67308_1573076963654_1137445510_1573564_1902503_n.j pg

http://flatterworld.com/about.php?nav=about

About the Flat Stanley Project

In 1994, Dale Hubert, a Grade 3 teacher in London, Ontario, Canada, began the Flat Stanley Project. He invited other teachers to take part by hosting flat visitors and to encourage their students to write their own Flat Stanley journals. Jeff Brown, the author of the Flat Stanley book, was delighted with the Flat Stanley Project as it renewed interest in the book which resulted in a sequel almost 40 years after the original. Jeff Brown stayed with Dale when he visited Wilfrid Jury Public School in London, Ontario as a guest author and hosted Dale and his family for a wonderful two week holiday in Connecticut. Dale and Jeff remained good friends until Jeff's death in 2003.
In 2010, Darren Haas, a huge Flat Stanley advocate and applications architect, approached Dale with the idea of applying Dale's Flat Stanley concept to an app for the iPhone. Since then, Flat Stanley has traveled across the digital universe onto Facebook, Twitter, iPhone, and beyond :)
HOW IT WORKS
One of the many advantages of sending flat visitors is that they can visit friends by travelling in an envelope. Students' written work goes to other places by conventional mail and e-mail. Whi le it is similar to a penpal activity, it is actually much more. In a standard penpal exchange, students rarely know how to begin or what to write about, but, with a Flat Stanley or one of our oth er flat characters from the Template Gallery, it's as if the sender and the recipient have a mutual friend, and writing becomes easier and more creative.

MinnieGarden
06-23-2011, 11:58 AM
What on earth????:confused3

Laurie

Laurie,

See Mike's post. Several of the photos were taken on a previous Baskstage Magic tour. Ian will be in thrid grade in the fall and has enjoyed reading "the Adventures of Flat Stanley" series. Since he's interested, I thought I'd take it one step further and create a Shutterfly book for him for Christmas - "The Adventures of Flat Ian".

Make ssense? :hippie:

wishspirit
06-23-2011, 02:41 PM
The recital starts at 6:30, and tickets are purchased at the door in cash. Cost is 10 pounds, and concessions are 7 pounds. I have no idea what concessions may be at an organ recital! This particular recital is the last in their summer concert series.

Concessions are (usually) people under 16 (or 18), or over 60, and sometimes students. They get a reduced rate as they are usually on lower incomes.

sayhello
06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Concessions are (usually) people under 16 (or 18), or over 60, and sometimes students. They get a reduced rate as they are usually on lower incomes.OK, Thank You for that! I would TOTALLY never have guessed that's what "concessions" meant in this case! In the US, they would specifically spell out something like "Students and Senior Citizens $10".

Concessions here (as in a "Concession Stand") are food and drink. In other words, it's a fancy word for snack bar. I was really confused as to how all snacks would be a fixed price of 7 pounds!!!! :eek:

I keep forgetting that along with trying to learn some French, I have to try & remember all my English (as opposed to American)!

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Concessions are (usually) people under 16 (or 18), or over 60, and sometimes students. They get a reduced rate as they are usually on lower incomes.

Thanks for clarifying that Kate! I was thinking the same thing that Tobi was thinking.

By the way, do you live in London? I am going to go to the Lego store in Westfield Mall and was wondering if you have any tips.:flower3:

Sarabi's Cubs
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Love the Flat Stanley idea! My kids would be into that.

I thought the same thing about concessions.

Laurie

k5jmh
06-24-2011, 06:34 AM
LXVIII!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

apurplebrat
06-24-2011, 07:19 AM
LXVIII!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

WooHoo!!:cool1:

wishspirit
06-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for clarifying that Kate! I was thinking the same thing that Tobi was thinking.

By the way, do you live in London? I am going to go to the Lego store in Westfield Mall and was wondering if you have any tips.:flower3:

I live just outside, about 20 minute train ride from central London. I haven't ever been to Westfield London, but I would recommend you go by Underground from looking at the maps. The nearest stop is Wood Lane, and depending where abouts in London you are, it isn't a long journey. I'm not sure where abouts you are staying on the ADB trip.

To be honest Lego is stupidly expensive here, and from my recollections Hamleys in Regent Street in Central London has a large section of the store also devoted to Lego if you want to take a look there. It also has floors of other toys etc if you are interested.

k5jmh
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I live just outside, about 20 minute train ride from central London. I haven't ever been to Westfield London, but I would recommend you go by Underground from looking at the maps. The nearest stop is Wood Lane, and depending where abouts in London you are, it isn't a long journey. I'm not sure where abouts you are staying on the ADB trip.

To be honest Lego is stupidly expensive here, and from my recollections Hamleys in Regent Street in Central London has a large section of the store also devoted to Lego if you want to take a look there. It also has floors of other toys etc if you are interested.

Thanks for the info Kate! Christy and I will be taking the underground as you suggested! We are looking forward to seeing our friends from Europe!

MinnieGarden
06-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the info and the suggestion for Hamleys! Ian has also put in a request for a double decker bus, so that sounds like a fantastic place to go find one. And, it appears to be very close to the Ice Bar! :cool1: We are staying at the Chancery Court Hotel on High Holburn, so Hamleys is fairly close.

DisneyKevin
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
One of our listeners (Thanks Beachwarmer!!) suggested a book and I thought I would share it with y'all.

Eiffel's Tower: The Thrilling Story Behind Paris's Beloved Monument and the Extraordinary World's Fair That Introduced It by Jill Jones

http://www.amazon.com/Eiffels-Tower-Extraordinary-Introduced-ebook/dp/B0024CEZPI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1308858419&sr=8-2

It sounds like something right up my alley and thought it might interest some of you as well.

Just grabbed a Kindle copy.

68 :dance3: <--- BTW ...these are Can Can smiles.

BriarRosie
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
One of our listeners (Thanks Beachwarmer!!) suggested a book and I thought I would share it with y'all.

Eiffel's Tower: The Thrilling Story Behind Paris's Beloved Monument and the Extraordinary World's Fair That Introduced It by Jill Jones

http://www.amazon.com/Eiffels-Tower-Extraordinary-Introduced-ebook/dp/B0024CEZPI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1308858419&sr=8-2

It sounds like something right up my alley and thought it might interest some of you as well.

Just grabbed a Kindle copy.

68 :dance3: <--- BTW ...these are Can Can smiles.

If it reads like "Devil in the White City", it would be something I'd be interested in, for sure.

k5jmh
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I am looking forward to going to the land of pastries an Turtlenecks!

MinnieGarden
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
For those wanting to purchase things in advance or just do a little research on the Tube, here's a link...... http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx

I will most likely order our Oyster cards in a couple of weeks, once we get a few more things nailed down. :surfweb:

k5jmh
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Your car will be done in an hour, dear.

k5jmh
06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I hear the Cricket humming in the next room. Flatty birthing must have begun!

DisneyKevin
06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I hear the Cricket humming in the next room. Flatty birthing must have begun!

If I didnt know what all of that meant....this post could be very disturbing.:laughing:

*NikkiBell*
06-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Woohoo for Cricket births!!! Flattie Bret and Flattie Tara were born using this method. ;)

sayhello
06-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Cricket births??? :confused3 I get the flatty part, but Cricket births? :confused:

Sayhello

k5jmh
06-26-2011, 05:04 PM
A Cricut.

http://www.cricut.com/shopping/images/products/123/original/A1-29-0300-CricutExpression1.jpg

sayhello
06-26-2011, 08:14 PM
A Cricut.

http://www.cricut.com/shopping/images/products/123/original/A1-29-0300-CricutExpression1.jpgAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Sayhello

k5jmh
06-27-2011, 06:49 AM
If I didnt know what all of that meant....this post could be very disturbing.:laughing:

I know my legs do not make that sound when I rub them together :rotfl2:

Chropistopy
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
After reading about all the people flying out of Philly (8/31) on the same flight over on the Foxtrot Oscar thread, it got me thinking about how many of us might be on the same flights and not know it. It wasn't until I got to the gate last year leaving for my Backstage Magic trip that I realize some fellow DISers were on the same flight.

Anybody flying Delta out of Atlanta on 9/1? Probably not...I think I'm going to be the last one to arrive...:rolleyes1

k5jmh
06-27-2011, 12:56 PM
We have a direct flight out of Houston on 8/31 on Unitednental or Continited.

sayhello
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm flying United (via Air Canada) out of Toronto on 8/27. I'm flying back from CDG to IAD at 12:25pm on United.

Sayhello

ETA: OMG, I just realized that's 2 months from TODAY that I'm leaving! :yay: :woohoo::woohoo:

k5jmh
06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm flying United (via Air Canada) out of Toronto on 8/27. I'm flying back from CDG to IAD at 12:25pm on United.

Sayhello

ETA: OMG, I just realized that's 2 months from TODAY that I'm leaving! :yay: :woohoo::woohoo:

It is getting close!!! :thumbsup2

DisneyKevin
06-27-2011, 04:52 PM
This is Shakespeare Sonnet 65

SONNET 65

Since brass, nor stone, nor earth, nor boundless sea,
But sad mortality o'er-sways their power,
How with this rage shall beauty hold a plea,
Whose action is no stronger than a flower?
O, how shall summer's honey breath hold out
Against the wreckful siege of battering days,
When rocks impregnable are not so stout,
Nor gates of steel so strong, but Time decays?
O fearful meditation! where, alack,
Shall Time's best jewel from Time's chest lie hid?
Or what strong hand can hold his swift foot back?
Or who his spoil of beauty can forbid?
O, none, unless this miracle have might,
That in black ink my love may still shine bright.

This is notable because our Adventure in England starts in.....wait for it....

65 DAYS!

sayhello
06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

SONNET 65

65 DAYS!:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
06-27-2011, 07:24 PM

SONNET 65

65 DAYS!

Shakespeare! Can't wait! We're flying into Heathrow out of IAD arriving on 9/1 and returning on the same flights as Tobi.

Laurie

MinnieGarden
06-27-2011, 07:59 PM

SONNET 65

65 DAYS!

BriarRosie
06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
After reading about all the people flying out of Philly (8/31) on the same flight over on the Foxtrot Oscar thread, it got me thinking about how many of us might be on the same flights and not know it. It wasn't until I got to the gate last year leaving for my Backstage Magic trip that I realize some fellow DISers were on the same flight.

Anybody flying Delta out of Atlanta on 9/1? Probably not...I think I'm going to be the last one to arrive...:rolleyes1

I might be the last one to arrive. I fly out on 9/1 from Chicago on United, arriving at Heathrow at 11:15am. :rolleyes:

And the Shakespeare had me thinking. Is it bad that I'd rather catch a Shakespeare play than see "The Lion King"? :blush:

sayhello
06-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I might be the last one to arrive. I fly out on 9/1 from Chicago on United, arriving at Heathrow at 11:15am. :rolleyes:

And the Shakespeare had me thinking. Is it bad that I'd rather catch a Shakespeare play than see "The Lion King"? :blush:It's not *bad*. :) But it's probably because where you live, you can see fabulous plays any time you want to! :goodvibes

Sayhello

Chropistopy
06-27-2011, 08:38 PM

And the Shakespeare had me thinking. Is it bad that I'd rather catch a Shakespeare play than see "The Lion King"? :blush:

I can beat that. My flight got changed. I'm not arriving at Heathrow until 12:15.

BriarRosie
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
I can beat that. My flight got changed. I'm not arriving at Heathrow until 12:15.

For now. I expect United to change my flight closer to the trip date. They do that to me a lot.

sayhello
06-27-2011, 11:05 PM
For now. I expect United to change my flight closer to the trip date. They do that to me a lot.They've done that to me several times already. Except, for me, the nice buffer I'd given myself between the legs of my flight is slowly disappearing. :sad2:

Sayhello

BriarRosie
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
They've done that to me several times already. Except, for me, the nice buffer I'd given myself between the legs of my flight is slowly disappearing. :sad2:

Sayhello

Stop it, airline minions! Give Tobi her time buffer! :mad:

MinnieGarden
06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm having a :scared1::scared1::scared1: moment...... My "London list" is growing and time to do it isn't! ACK!

Ater a weekend of fruitless Lego research, there may not be anything exclusive at the London store while we are there. :eek: So, I've moved on to Plan B...... the toy store Kate recommended is sounding really good, and it's quite close to Picadilly Circus (on the list) and a good spot for fish and chips (also on the list).

Now to figure out when to work in Harrod's and the amazing Indian restaurant close to the Tower of London....... :surfweb:

For my fellow foodies..... I've also discovered a shop in Paris that sells nothing but mustard.....:upsidedow

BriarRosie
06-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm having a :scared1::scared1::scared1: moment...... My "London list" is growing and time to do it isn't! ACK!

Ater a weekend of fruitless Lego research, there may not be anything exclusive at the London store while we are there. :eek: So, I've moved on to Plan B...... the toy store Kate recommended is sounding really good, and it's quite close to Picadilly Circus (on the list) and a good spot for fish and chips (also on the list).

Now to figure out when to work in Harrod's and the amazing Indian restaurant close to the Tower of London....... :surfweb:

For my fellow foodies..... I've also discovered a shop in Paris that sells nothing but mustard.....:upsidedow

Good luck the the new plan for Lego! Indian food, well, the curries, that's my food nemesis. That's my major food aversion. I can handle tandoori, but the smell of Indian curries makes me ill.

And mustard doesn't do it for me. If it was a cheese shop... :cloud9:

wishspirit
06-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Hamley's is an amazing toy store. I am pretty sure I will be in central London at least once before September, I will try and report back about Lego! :goodvibes

sayhello
06-28-2011, 04:07 PM

For my fellow foodies..... I've also discovered a shop in Paris that sells nothing but mustard.....:upsidedowAmazing Indian Restaurant close to the Tower of London? :) Don't we have Lunch on our Own after the Tower of London on Sunday?

Sayhello

MinnieGarden
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Hamley's is an amazing toy store. I am pretty sure I will be in central London at least once before September, I will try and report back about Lego! :goodvibes

:worship::worship::worship: That would be awesome Kate!

MinnieGarden
06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Amazing Indian Restaurant close to the Tower of London? :) Don't we have Lunch on our Own after the Tower of London on Sunday?

Sayhello

:idea: I'm going to check their website and see if they are open for lunch on Sundays......

Another question.... when "The Box" arrives, is a more detailed itinerary included?

sayhello
06-28-2011, 10:51 PM
:idea: I'm going to check their website and see if they are open for lunch on Sundays......

Another question.... when "The Box" arrives, is a more detailed itinerary included?Yes, there is. :woohoo:

Sayhello

mattincanberra
06-29-2011, 04:13 AM
Just to add to the never ending list of things to do in London we are in town during Proms season. We are in Paris for the most famous Last Night of the Proms, but if classical music is your thing, or you want to know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall they are pretty cheap events.

sayhello
06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Just to add to the never ending list of things to do in London we are in town during Proms season. We are in Paris for the most famous Last Night of the Proms, but if classical music is your thing, or you want to know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall they are pretty cheap events.OK, what are Proms? I've never heard of that. :confused3 (Well, at least not in this context! Here in the US, a Prom is a fancy Dance that usually coincides with graduation, or something like that...)

Sayhello

k5jmh
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
OK, what are Proms? I've never heard of that. :confused3 (Well, at least not in this context! Here in the US, a Prom is a fancy Dance that usually coincides with graduation, or something like that...)

Sayhello
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/features/history

Looks very interesting!!

mattincanberra
06-29-2011, 11:15 AM
OK, what are Proms?

The Proms are a series of concerts (usually a season of about 90-100 concerts) that is over 100 years old

The most famous prom event is "the last night of the proms" which features flag waving, horn blowing and 1000's of crazy English people singing Jerusalem and land of hope and glory.

YouTube will provide real life examples of this behavior.

sayhello
06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
The Proms are a series of concerts (usually a season of about 90-100 concerts) that is over 100 years old

The most famous prom event is "the last night of the proms" which features flag waving, horn blowing and 1000's of crazy English people singing Jerusalem and land of hope and glory.

YouTube will provide real life examples of this behavior.Oh, that sounds cool. I'm going to check that out. Thanks.

But on re-reading your original post, I also have to ask:

or you want to know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall they are pretty cheap events. Um, dare I ask what that lovely little colloquialism means? :)

Sayhello

mattincanberra
06-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Um, dare I ask what that lovely little colloquialism means? :)

Sayhello

It not my line, couple of guys called Lennon and McCartney came up with it to fill a space in a song called A Day in the Life which was the final song on the Sgt Peppers Album.

It is apparently an entirely nonsense line written to fill space and maintaining the rhyme and rythum of the song.

sayhello
06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
It not my line, couple of guys called Lennon and McCartney came up with it to fill a space in a song called A Day in the Life which was the final song on the Sgt Peppers Album.

It is apparently an entirely nonsense line written to fill space and maintaining the rhyme and rythum of the song.Oh, D'oh! :rotfl:

Thanks!
Sayhello

BriarRosie
06-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I heard Kevin's review of Bistro de Paris, and it inspired me to share my last experience there, a couple years ago. The end of the review also shows what the Yacht/Beach Private Dining can do if you throw a lot of money at them for a custom birthday cake.

And oh yeah...there's a pic of me when I lost a bunch a weight...which I've since gained most of it back. C'est la vie!

I think you might enjoy the unintentional entertainment provided by guests sitting next to my friend and me.

Bistro review with food porn, Oct 2009 (http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34494622&postcount=264)

*NikkiBell*
06-30-2011, 12:20 AM

That is an amazing cake! :)

sayhello
06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I heard Kevin's review of Bistro de Paris, and it inspired me to share my last experience there, a couple years ago. The end of the review also shows what the Yacht/Beach Private Dining can do if you throw a lot of money at them for a custom birthday cake.

And oh yeah...there's a pic of me when I lost a bunch a weight...which I've since gained most of it back. C'est la vie!

I think you might enjoy the unintentional entertainment provided by guests sitting next to my friend and me.

Bistro review with food porn, Oct 2009 (http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34494622&postcount=264)It's amazing what you can get if you just throw enough money at people!!! :goodvibes

Sayhello

BriarRosie
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM

That is an amazing cake! :)

I am hoping you were laughing at the old biddies floor show I described. ;)
And yes, the cake was incredible, too. She had chocolate cake with chocolate ganache that was incredible. And the Goofy sculpture was in white chocolate. It met its demise a week or so ago during an earthquake in the St. Louis area. :sad2:

It's amazing what you can get if you just throw enough money at people!!! :goodvibes

Sayhello

That pretty much sums up our little group, don't you think? ;)

Chropistopy
07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
TWO MONTHS!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana:

BriarRosie
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
TWO MONTHS!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana:

I was thinking about that today! Woohoo!

BlondeViki
07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey there - I live in London and just wanted to pop on to this thread and wish you all the best, best trip!

I hope we're still having the fantastic weather we've got at the moment when you're here!! I love your itinerary, the Tower of London is one of my favourite places in London, it's so peaceful along the bit right next to the river if you get there early!

I hope you get to see London at it's best :goodvibes

sayhello
07-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey there - I live in London and just wanted to pop on to this thread and wish you all the best, best trip!

I hope we're still having the fantastic weather we've got at the moment when you're here!! I love your itinerary, the Tower of London is one of my favourite places in London, it's so peaceful along the bit right next to the river if you get there early!

I hope you get to see London at it's best :goodvibesI hope you're right!!! Thanks! :goodvibes :love:

Sayhello

sayhello
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
TWO MONTHS!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

If I can just make it through the show I'm doing next weekend (Ragtime, yay!) then I'm free & clear to start doing stuff like buying train tickets, and working out currency, etc!

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM

HRH Princess Anne's age and the number of days until our Adventures commences.

Sarabi's Cubs
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Ok, no one warned me that ABD chat could be dangerous. After all the talk last night about pajamas and shoes, I've done some serious shopping damage in the last 24 hours!:eek:

I can't believe we're at the 2 month mark!:banana:

Laurie

sayhello
07-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Ok, no one warned me that ABD chat could be dangerous. After all the talk last night about pajamas and shoes, I've done some serious shopping damage in the last 24 hours!:eek:

LaurieWhat did I miss???

Sayhello

Circusgirl
07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
What did I miss???

Sayhello

Yes, what did we miss? Especially about shoes, although I also do love pajamas!

MinnieGarden
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Laurie

Ok, so what did you get??? :hyper:

BriarRosie
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I went to the bank today to put in an order for British pounds. I paid 170 bucks for them. :scared1:

sayhello
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I went to the bank today to put in an order for British pounds. I paid 170 bucks for them. :scared1:For how many of them? :eek:

Sayhello

sayhello
07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
2 MONTHS!

2 months from today, our Knights & Lights ABD officially starts!!!

2 months from today, a bunch of us will be meeting to tour Buckingham Palace together!!

OMG, 2 months!!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sayhello

apurplebrat
07-02-2011, 04:52 PM
2 MONTHS!

2 months from today, our Knights & Lights ABD officially starts!!!

2 months from today, a bunch of us will be meeting to tour Buckingham Palace together!!

OMG, 2 months!!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sayhello

:dance3::dance3:

Sarabi's Cubs
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok, so what did you get??? :hyper:

Let's see, what did I get? A pair of the Merrells in black mentioned by several people in chat and in this thread. And a neutral pair of Easy Spirits:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7876097/color/28209?zlfid=111

Also some random packing cubes and folders, some cute pajamas (since I've basically been sleeping in Brian's tshirts for years), a plug adaptor thing and something to bring back wine in. And a new purse (not a Birkin!). I think that was it.

Laurie

BriarRosie
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
For how many of them? :eek:

Sayhello

Oops, thought I posted it. Bought 100 BPs for $170. :eek:

sayhello
07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Oops, thought I posted it. Bought 100 BPs for $170. :eek::scared1:

Yipes! That's way worse than the euros for last year...

Sayhello

GAN
07-03-2011, 06:11 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about that exchange rate..what I've found is that what I pay after conversion is usually what I would pay in a larger US city. For instance, take a chicken sandwich in a restaurant here which may be around $10 -you can find a nice Pub in London where you would pay 8 pounds. Converting that would leave you around $12-13, and in many cases no Tip is required -although they might add a service charge. Point is, I never find it as bad as it sounds. Avoid tourist traps -go where the locals go if possible.

Becx N Gav
07-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I’ve been asking people and looking online for good places to eat and some unique UK food ideas.

Pie and mash is a traditional London dish, it’s pretty cheap and will fill you up. M Manze’s (http://manze.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=display&ref=History&sid=a33m2822m1fz2c0f68764k90pej1346o) has been suggested.

It’s near London Bridge, here it is on the map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=manzes+se+1+map&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl)

Nearest tube stations are Burmondsey (Jubilee Line) and London Bridge (Northern Line) you can also catch the 188 bus from Russell Square going towards North Greenwich Station (it would take just over 30 minutes and buses run every 30 minutes during the day)

Obviously fish and chips can be found all over the place!

Some recommendations include Fish! (http://www.fishkitchen.com/fish/) at Borough Market (it’s got a restaurant and take away)

This is also a good places to visit if you like food in general – I would definitely recommend trying some British cheeses such as Wensleydale, Cheshire, Red Leicester, Gloucester there are a few more here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_cheeses)

Master Superfish (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=661&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=masters+fish+supper+london+se1+8ux+map&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=masters+fish+supper&hnear=0x487604bb12882d53:0xd8cc58016921467,London+ SE1+8UX&ei=WNgITqSxA82WhQfKktWxDQ&sa=X&**=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CAQQtgM) is more of a restaurant than take away but it’s got great reviews and is reasonably priced (for London!)

It’s near Lamberth North (Bakerloo Line) and Waterloo (Northern Line)

Brick Lane is the best place for a curry but there are others, at Borough Market there is Silka (http://www.silka.co.uk/index.html)

The menu looks fairly extensive and prices are comparable with what we’d pay at home (we’re about an hour north of London)

Sheraz (http://www.sheraz.co.uk/) is in Brick Lane

Again the menu looks good, to get there you can get the tube to Aldgate (Metropolitan Line) or the number 25 bus from Holborn going towards Ilford.

On the other end of the scale The Cinnamon Club (http://www.cinnamonclub.com/html/default.aspx) has good reviews but you pay £14.00 for cauliflower cheese (entrée)!

Moti Mahal (http://www.motimahal-uk.com/cuisine/special-offers) looks like a good place for lunch, they have some good offers and some quite unique dishes

It’s in Covent Garden so fairly close to the hotel.

Other places mentioned include Canteen which does traditional British foods such as a roast, pies, shepherds pie, cheeses, fish and chips etc. There are a few locations one near the Royal Festival Hall (http://www.canteen.co.uk/index.php?restaurant=RoyalFestivalHall&page=Intro&m=Home) (near the London Eye), one out near Canary Wharf (http://www.canteen.co.uk/index.php?restaurant=CanaryWharf&page=Intro&m=Home), Baker Street (http://www.canteen.co.uk/index.php?restaurant=BakerStreet&page=Intro&m=Home) and Spiatalfields (http://www.canteen.co.uk/index.php?restaurant=Spitalfields&page=Intro&m=Home).

YouTube will provide real life examples of this behavior.

The Proms are great, we saw a Gershwin performance a couple of years ago. It was something different and the Royal Albert Hall is an awesome venue.

MinnieGarden
07-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Let's see, what did I get? A pair of the Merrells in black mentioned by several people in chat and in this thread. And a neutral pair of Easy Spirits:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7876097/color/28209?zlfid=111

Also some random packing cubes and folders, some cute pajamas (since I've basically been sleeping in Brian's tshirts for years), a plug adaptor thing and something to bring back wine in. And a new purse (not a Birkin!). I think that was it.

Laurie

Awesome! Don't worry about the purse.... we'll work on the Birkin in Paris! :lmao:

k5jmh
07-04-2011, 09:49 AM

The Alabama county code for Shelby County
The Ohio county code for Morgan County
The code for international direct dial phone calls to Venezuela
Municipal Okrug 58, name of Vvedensky Municipal Okrug of Petrogradsky District of St. Petersburg, Russia until April 2009
The number of usable cells on a Hexxagon game board
Book: "58 Lonely Men: Southern Federal Judges and School Desegregation" about 58 judges in the South during the Brown vs. Board of Education decision
The number of counties in California
The minimum wind speed (mph) needed to issue a Severe Thunderstorm Warning.
The number of the French department Nièvre
In the popular TV show Spongebob Squarepants, Patrick claims that "58 is like the luckiest number ever."

sayhello
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM

The Alabama county code for Shelby County
The Ohio county code for Morgan County
The code for international direct dial phone calls to Venezuela
Municipal Okrug 58, name of Vvedensky Municipal Okrug of Petrogradsky District of St. Petersburg, Russia until April 2009
The number of usable cells on a Hexxagon game board
Book: "58 Lonely Men: Southern Federal Judges and School Desegregation" about 58 judges in the South during the Brown vs. Board of Education decision
The number of counties in California
The minimum wind speed (mph) needed to issue a Severe Thunderstorm Warning.
The number of the French department Nièvre
In the popular TV show Spongebob Squarepants, Patrick claims that "58 is like the luckiest number ever.":thumbsup2 Very cool!

Sayhello

DisneyKevin
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Awesome! Don't worry about the purse.... we'll work on the Birkin in Paris! :lmao:

A woman with a mission.:thumbsup2

k5jmh
07-04-2011, 11:35 AM
A woman with a mission.:thumbsup2

Why is my wallet making "sad-eyes" right now?

MinnieGarden
07-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Why is my wallet making "sad-eyes" right now?

It would make a really nice anniversary present honey....... Just sayin' :rolleyes1

DisneyKevin
07-04-2011, 12:19 PM
It would make a really nice anniversary present honey....... Just sayin' :rolleyes1

:lmao:

sayhello
07-04-2011, 12:20 PM
It would make a really nice anniversary present honey....... Just sayin' :rolleyes1That's an understatement!!! ;) :thumbsup2

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-04-2011, 01:06 PM

:lmao:

That's an understatement!!! ;) :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Kevin, I need to change my Podcast Cruise 3.0 reservation to Steerage on Deck 0

DisneyKevin
07-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Kevin, I need to change my Podcast Cruise 3.0 reservation to Steerage on Deck 0

I'm not even sure that's going to help.

apurplebrat
07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Bring on the Hermes!! http://www.hermes.com/
:dance3:

k5jmh
07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Bring on the Hermes!! http://www.hermes.com/
:dance3:
Nooooooooooooooooooooo. :crazy2:

DisneyKevin
07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo. :crazy2:

Makes my $1485 Louis Vuitton 55cm Keepall w/shoulder strap (ok....I've been looking) seem like chump change....huh?

http://www.louisvuitton.com/us/flash/index.jsp?direct1=home_entry_us

MinnieGarden
07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Hermes, Louis Vuitton...... ooh la la!

http://www.myemoticons.com/images/hobbies-leisure/shopping/shopping-2.gif

k5jmh
07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Hermes, Louis Vuitton...... ooh la la!

http://www.myemoticons.com/images/hobbies-leisure/shopping/shopping-2.gif

:sad2: :sad2:

sayhello
07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
:sad2: :sad2:You might as well get used to the idea, Mike!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-04-2011, 09:02 PM
http://disneyparknewscast.com/2011/07/04/dlp-newscast-episode-3/

Here it is, Episode 3 of the podcast hosted by “Joseph Carter” bringing you the latest news, rumours and special features all about Europe’s number one vacation destination….Disneyland Paris. This week we have a special feature with our new co-host “Steve Riley” and we discuss our “Top Ten Disneyland Paris Rides”.

MinnieGarden
07-05-2011, 07:46 AM
57 days until London and Paris!!!!

wishspirit
07-05-2011, 10:02 AM

:worship::worship::worship: That would be awesome Kate!

I will be in London the week after next, I will try and check for you whilst I'm there!

Becx N Gav
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM

I like the way you think :thumbsup2

If you are going to Hamleys for Lego (awesome store, reminds me of FAO Schwartz in New York) you should check out Liberty (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&pq=liberties&xhr=t&cp=11&client=firefox-a&hs=HUV&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1268&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=liberties+london&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=liberties&hnear=0x47d8a00baf21de75:0x52963a5addd52a99,Westmi nster,+London&cid=13035286912213785699&ei=v1ATTujRGYK6hAejzKzLDQ&sa=X&**=local_result&ct=photo-link&cd=1&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQnwIoADAA) - the company was founded in 1875 and it's in an old tudor building, there is more about it's history here. (http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/content/AboutLiberty/content)

Here are some words that you may not know and what they are in American! In no particular order

US UK
Cilantro = corriander
Scallion = spring onion
Egg Plant = aubergine
Ruterbaga = sweede
Chips = crisps
Fries = chips
'erbs = herbs ;)
Arugala = rocket
Sidewalk = pavement/path
Commercial = advert
Zucchini = courgette
First floor = ground floor (then you have the first floor, second floor etc.)
Cookie = biscuit (but ours tend to be harder and dryer, like a Graham crackers but many varities)
Biscuit = scone
Sweater = jumper
Band aid = plaster
Baked potato = jacket potato (we also call potatoes spuds or tatties)
Jelly = jam
Pants = trousers
Underpants = pants
Lawyer/attourney = solicitor (hopefully you won't need to know this!)
Faucet = tap
Sneakers = trainers
Cotton candy = candy floss
Oatmeal = porridge
Corn = sweetcorn
Dessert = pudding (you can also get savoury puddings such as steak and kidney pudding)
Mars bar = miky way
Milky way = Mars bar
Mall = shopping centre

Scroll down on this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef) to see the different names we have for cuts of beef

wishspirit
07-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Wow! I never knew that Mars Bar and Milky Way are the wrong way round there! I guess I am too busy trying out their different kinds of sweets that I don't even bother to look at the names I know!

Oh another one:
Candy = Sweets (or sweeties)

BriarRosie
07-05-2011, 09:56 PM
I took the chalkboard quiz in the UK pavilion, and I did fairly well. I think a lot of us know that elevator = lift, and any reader of Harry Potter probably knows the sweater = jumper and sneakers = trainers thing. ;)

My favorites are pants/trousers/underwear miscommunication. I will be making an effort not to use the word "pants" when I'm there. :rotfl2: I think it's just plain cruel that Milky Way and Mars bars are completely reversed.

Then again, there are interchangeable words among Americans. What I call a shopping cart, someone else in a different area of the country calls a "buggy". And apparently the soda, pop and "Coke" thing is extremely controversial. :laughing: (I'm from the Midwest; it's "pop" here.)

sayhello
07-05-2011, 11:39 PM
truck = lorry
eraser = rubber
trunk (of car) = boot
hood (of car) = bonnet
butt = bum
trash can = rubbish bin or dust bin
pharmacy = chemists
gasoline = petrol
flashlight = torch

Sayhello

Becx N Gav
07-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Wow! I never knew that Mars Bar and Milky Way are the wrong way round there! I guess I am too busy trying out their different kinds of sweets that I don't even bother to look at the names I know!

Oh another one:
Candy = Sweets (or sweeties)

It was so weird when I first tried a mars bar expecting caramel!

truck = lorry
eraser = rubber
trunk (of car) = boot
hood (of car) = bonnet
butt = bum
trash can = rubbish bin or dust bin
pharmacy = chemists
gasoline = petrol
flashlight = torch

Sayhello

I didn't think you'd have the need to know about erasers and flash lights ;)

If you want a chemists you should see plenty of Boots stores (shops), they do many other things too.

Sarabi's Cubs
07-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok, I'd better move beyond episode 3 of Coffee Break French. I took my daughter to Le Chatelaine for dinner and realized that I am in real trouble in Paris if I can't even navigate that menu!:confused:

Also, the mother/daughter dinner meant that Brian got home before me and was confronted with 5 packages waiting on the porch.:scared1: He was a little alarmed. In fairness, 2 of them were birthday gifts for my son, so they weren't all from my post-chat shopping spree.:rolleyes1

Laurie

MinnieGarden
07-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Just in case anyone forgot.....

We're going to London and Paris!!!!

sayhello
07-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Just in case anyone forgot.....

We're going to London and Paris!!!!

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:I haven't forgotten!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

I'm just trying to get through my last 2 community theater productions this weekend, then I can get back down to the serious trip planning! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sayhello

Becx N Gav
07-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Christy, I just checked the Esso website and the petrol stations near us are running the promotion :thumbsup2

I'll keep you and Kate the updated with the models I get - please let me know if your son would prefer any particular model :thumbsup2

MinnieGarden
07-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Christy, I just checked the Esso website and the petrol stations near us are running the promotion :thumbsup2

I'll keep you and Kate the updated with the models I get - please let me know if your son would prefer any particular model :thumbsup2

Thanks so much! :worship::worship::worship: He loves everything lego, so what ever you get he is sure to love!

BriarRosie
07-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I just got home from seeing "Midnight in Paris". Random thoughts:

Yes, you can tell it's a Woody Allen film.

Yes, it has an interesting premise.

Yes, there are characters you love to hate. But there are also characters you absolutely love.

Carla Bruni, the French First Lady, has a role.

The city of Paris is a character in this film. :love:

The costumes in this film are amazing.

I will quit now, but I can't talk about the film itself without giving away things best left as a surprise. I do think everyone going on this trip should see it.

Sarabi's Cubs
07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm just trying to get through my last 2 community theater productions this weekend, then I can get back down to the serious trip planning! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sayhello

Tobi - heard lots of good things about your play! Wish I could have made it myself but I had a house full of relatives visiting from out of state.

Laurie

sayhello
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Tobi - heard lots of good things about your play!:love:

Wish I could have made it myself but I had a house full of relatives visiting from out of state.

LaurieLaurie, sorry you missed the play, but I totally understand! It went great, and was a tremendous amount of fun, but I'm glad to have my life back! :rotfl:

Speaking of which, we need to meet up!!! Just let me know what works for you.

We need to check with Cynthia, too!

Sayhello

Circusgirl
07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I just got home from seeing "Midnight in Paris". Random thoughts:

Yes, you can tell it's a Woody Allen film.

Yes, it has an interesting premise.

Yes, there are characters you love to hate. But there are also characters you absolutely love.

Carla Bruni, the French First Lady, has a role.

The city of Paris is a character in this film. :love:

The costumes in this film are amazing.

I will quit now, but I can't talk about the film itself without giving away things best left as a surprise. I do think everyone going on this trip should see it.

Thanks for the review! I have this on my must list for the next few weeks.

I'm doing the Pimsleur French lessons daily and will be perfect at politely telling everyone I don't speak French very well. : )

Congratulations on your shows going well, Tobi! That kind of project usually brings a lot of energy and leaves a lot of laundry and unopened mail for me. Good luck getting caught up!

I've had a hideous bronchitis for weeks now, finally feeling a tiny bit more like my healthy self today. Happy to feel like I can jump back into life with some enthusiasm.

wishspirit
07-13-2011, 05:06 PM
To those who are learning French, although I'm not going on the trip, I will be learning it with you!

I have been told I need to be able to teach (Yes, teach!!) some basic French by the start of September, so I am trying to crash course myself in the basics. :headache:

I did do French at school, but it's long since forgotten, so hopefully we can inspire each other to keep learning!

Je m'appelle Kate. J'habite en Angleterre avec ma famille. J'ai vingt deux ans. J'ai les yeux bleus et cheveux blonds.

(Spelling with the help of google translate, but I could remember the words!)

BriarRosie
07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
To those who are learning French, although I'm not going on the trip, I will be learning it with you!

I have been told I need to be able to teach (Yes, teach!!) some basic French by the start of September, so I am trying to crash course myself in the basics. :headache:

I did do French at school, but it's long since forgotten, so hopefully we can inspire each other to keep learning!

Je m'appelle Kate. J'habite en Angleterre avec ma famille. J'ai vingt deux ans. J'ai les yeux bleus et cheveux blonds.

(Spelling with the help of google translate, but I could remember the words!)

I have no clue how to pronounce the consonants and vowels in their unfamiliar assortment. I took Spanish in school and can pronounce those words just fine! French is still a complete mystery to me.

sayhello
07-13-2011, 10:28 PM
I have no clue how to pronounce the consonants and vowels in their unfamiliar assortment. I took Spanish in school and can pronounce those words just fine! French is still a complete mystery to me.That's exactly the same problem I have. My mouth wants to pronounce French like it's Spanish. And people who speak French don't appreciate that!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Happy le quatorze juillet or Bastille Day to the rest of us!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Prise_de_la_Bastille.jpg

Your Vacation begins in 48 Days!!!

Chropistopy
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow! Only 48 days! I've got to get going on my to do list.

Have we heard anything more about the DIS meet on Sept 4th? I'm still trying to work out when I'm going to tour Buckingham Palace and St. Paul's.

sayhello
07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Your Vacation begins in 48 Days!!! :scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::eek::eek::eek ::eek:

Ye gods, have I got a bunch to do before then!!!!

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, I wonder what day our boxes arrive?

sayhello
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Hmmm, I wonder what day our boxes arrive?I'm hoping soon! It's 30 - 45 days before the trip.... :yay:

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
07-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Just got back from Harry Potter - a few nice shots of London and especially St. Pancras Station. I can't believe how soon our trip is!

Laurie

sayhello
07-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Just got back from Harry Potter - a few nice shots of London and especially St. Pancras Station. I can't believe how soon our trip is!

LaurieAw, darn! I thought that was King's Cross Station. Why would they show St. Pancras when it's supposed to be King's Cross? :confused3

But I was thinking I could go see it in a few weeks! :)

Where did you guys go see it? I went to Arena Grand.

Sayhello

sayhello
07-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Whoohoo! :cool1: For those of us doing the Royal Day out at Buckingham Palace tour, here's what's included July 23rd through October 3rd!

The special exhibition Royal Fabergé and the display featuring The Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress are included as part of a visit to the State Rooms.That should be a cool extra!

https://www.rceltickets.com/eventlist.asp?VenueID=1

Sayhello

wishspirit
07-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Aw, darn! I thought that was King's Cross Station. Why would they show St. Pancras when it's supposed to be King's Cross? :confused3

Sayhello

The two stations are interlinked. There is 'Kings Cross', 'St Pancras International' and 'Kings Cross St Pancras underground station'. So you can walk easily from one to the other.

Plus St Pancras is much prettier! (I haven't seen the new Harry Potter to clarify if it was St Pancras or Kings Cross yet)

Sarabi's Cubs
07-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Aw, darn! I thought that was King's Cross Station. Why would they show St. Pancras when it's supposed to be King's Cross? :confused3

Sayhello

We saw it at the IMAX at Easton. It was my son's birthday, so we saw it with a bunch of 12 year old boys, which was fun.

I read in one of the Harry Potter London walk descriptions that they use external shots of St. Pancras because it's so pretty but call it King's Cross. I think they did this in #2 as well.

We are going to have to take some time to visit Platform 9 3/4 and get a cheesy photo of Brian and I running at the barrier with the cart or our children will be gravely disappointed.

Laurie

Circusgirl
07-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Wow! Only 48 days! I've got to get going on my to do list.

Have we heard anything more about the DIS meet on Sept 4th? I'm still trying to work out when I'm going to tour Buckingham Palace and St. Paul's.

I bought a ticket for the Buckingham Palace tour for 3:00 on the 3rd. I don't know if I'll end up doing all the parts of the tour, but wanted to have a ticket in case it works out. There are so many things I want to see, and so few minutes to see them!

BriarRosie
07-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I bought a ticket for the Buckingham Palace tour for 3:00 on the 3rd. I don't know if I'll end up doing all the parts of the tour, but wanted to have a ticket in case it works out. There are so many things I want to see, and so few minutes to see them!

I haven't bought a ticket yet because I wasn't sure about our "free time" we'll have. I am still on the fence!

sayhello
07-16-2011, 04:57 PM
We saw it at the IMAX at Easton. It was my son's birthday, so we saw it with a bunch of 12 year old boys, which was fun.

I read in one of the Harry Potter London walk descriptions that they use external shots of St. Pancras because it's so pretty but call it King's Cross. I think they did this in #2 as well.

We are going to have to take some time to visit Platform 9 3/4 and get a cheesy photo of Brian and I running at the barrier with the cart or our children will be gravely disappointed.

LaurieOK, that makes sense (when combined with wishspirit's explanation.) I googled the 2, and the pictures of St Pancras are what's in the movie. And it *is* very pretty! I definitely need to go there & do the cheesy Platform 9 3/4 picture, too! I'm thinking of doing a Harry Potter walking tour one of my pre-days. I'd really better decide pretty soon. It's coming quicker than I expected!!!!

The two stations are interlinked. There is 'Kings Cross', 'St Pancras International' and 'Kings Cross St Pancras underground station'. So you can walk easily from one to the other.

Plus St Pancras is much prettier! (I haven't seen the new Harry Potter to clarify if it was St Pancras or Kings Cross yet)OK, this makes sense. According to Google Images, it's St. Pancras in the movies...)

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Look what we are going to be building...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267542_1866657342300_1117025522_31625480_5488756_n .jpg

Ian received the Tower Bridge for his birthday.

sayhello
07-16-2011, 10:29 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267542_1866657342300_1117025522_31625480_5488756_n .jpg

Ian received the Tower Bridge for his birthday.Hmmmm.... It says for ages 16+. Somehow, I don't think Ian's going to have any problems with it! :woohoo:

Sayhello

Becx N Gav
07-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Ian received the Tower Bridge for his birthday.

Cool, we've been playing Lego Pirates - bet you wish you had the fast build skill in real life! Let us know how long it takes to build :thumbsup2

k5jmh
07-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Hmmmm.... It says for ages 16+. Somehow, I don't think Ian's going to have any problems with it! :woohoo:

Cool, we've been playing Lego Pirates - bet you wish you had the fast build skill in real life! Let us know how long it takes to build :thumbsup2

He is all ready making progress on it. The draw bridge is complete and he has started the tedious task of assembling the towers (lots of brick laying). :rotfl2:

We have bets as to whether he will finish it before Christy and I are at the Tower Bridge. We hooked him up with the Tower Bridge Ustream feed so he could see the bridge in action.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/towerbridge

k5jmh
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
FYI folks, Christy and I are going to be obtaining some £'s before the end of the month. We are not going to take a chance on the $ going ↓ at the beginning of August.

Sarabi's Cubs
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
FYI folks, Christy and I are going to be obtaining some £'s before the end of the month. We are not going to take a chance on the $ going ↓ at the beginning of August.

I just picked some up on Friday for the same reason.

Laurie

sayhello
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
FYI folks, Christy and I are going to be obtaining some £'s before the end of the month. We are not going to take a chance on the $ going ↓ at the beginning of August.I was just thinking about this today. I wonder if I can get to AAA before they close today...

Maybe a few euros, too.

Sayhello

ETA: Of course, now there's the whole question of "How much?". I need to have cash £'s for Foxtrot Oscar, since it's all going to be one big bill, and cash in either £'s or euros for the Guide's tips. Although I'm not sure I want to carry that much cash around for 14 days, so it might end up being the ATM for that... Grrr...

BriarRosie
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Well, that's pretty much why I already took care of mine a week or so ago. ;)
I have a feeling I'll need to take more out, but I have my initial amount.

k5jmh
07-20-2011, 07:30 AM
<--is on box watch!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :banana: :banana:

DisneyKevin
07-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Is that like bed rest?;)

k5jmh
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Is that like bed rest?;)

:woohoo: Wrong box!!

*NikkiBell*
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow.

Um.

I just snorted. :rotfl2:

sayhello
07-20-2011, 10:30 AM
<--is on box watch!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :banana: :banana::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Sayhello

BriarRosie
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Since we're going to Europe, wouldn't that be "parcel watch"?

Of course, I could have said "package watch", but that would just send you and a few others into the gutter again. ;)

DisneyKevin
07-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Of course, I could have said "package watch", but that would just send you and a few others into the gutter again. ;)

Qua?

YellowMickeyPonchos
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Mike just told me he can't be without a John....

k5jmh
07-20-2011, 02:14 PM

Na Jo is causing problems again! :woohoo:

*NikkiBell*
07-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Na Jo is causing problems again! :woohoo:

:sad2:

*NikkiBell*
07-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Since we're going to Europe, wouldn't that be "parcel watch"?

k5jmh
07-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Checking out our flight accommodations...

http://www.continental.com/web/format/img/travel/amenities.jpg

http://www.continental.com/web/format/img/travel/businessfirst/businessfirstseat200912.jpg

http://www.continental.com/web/format/img/travel/business_first_777.jpg

Chropistopy
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM

http://www.continental.com/web/format/img/travel/businessfirst/businessfirstseat200912.jpg

http://www.continental.com/web/format/img/travel/business_first_777.jpg

I am beyond jealous right now! I'm going to have to make do with a travel pillow and being able to recline back 1/2 an inch. My motto for the trip is "I can sleep when I get home".

sayhello
07-20-2011, 03:57 PM

http://www.continental.com/web/format/img/travel/business_first_777.jpgThat's just downright mean, Mike! :sad2:

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I just found out that I will actually be riding here...

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20090811/470_dogs_090617.jpg

DisneyKevin
07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Our flight accommodations.....

http://www.rmgivideo1.net/envoy_suite/

skunkvette
07-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Yeah but I heard that you have some rowdy neighbors.....

By the way, Google the Envoy lounge in Philadelphia, it is supposed to be USAir's flag ship lounge.

sayhello
07-20-2011, 08:24 PM

http://www.rmgivideo1.net/envoy_suite/I think I might cry.... :sad1:

Sayhello

mattincanberra
07-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Ok, I'll take the bait - heres mine:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/a380/global/en

You need to click on First Class - its the one in the nose of the plane.

Prior to take off I will be enjoying a bite of lunch, some French Champagne, and a back rub here:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/international-first-lounge/global/en

(I'm flying out of Sydney).

Days later i will arrive in London, possibly relaxed, possibly drunk, possibly not knowing which way is up

On the way back I'm flying BA - and shall be served by someone much like this:

http://youtu.be/3XlDUTpCIOE or possibly this http://youtu.be/8jLmM1ZrE6k

DisneyKevin
07-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I dont want to play anymore.

And I still dont like Kylie Minogue.

:laughing:

mattincanberra
07-20-2011, 11:17 PM
I dont want to play anymore.

And I still dont like Kylie Minogue.

I am going back to Australia on Friday in the business class pods - if any of you guys control the temperature in the middle of the country, could you please turn it down - it was 102 today just outside of St Louis, and I am melting...

sayhello
07-20-2011, 11:32 PM

I am going back to Australia on Friday in the business class pods - if any of you guys control the temperature in the middle of the country, could you please turn it down - it was 102 today just outside of St Louis, and I am melting...Feel free to take the hot weather back to Australia with you! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

BriarRosie
07-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow, I thought Mike and Kevin were cruel, but Matt trumped them both. :laughing:

I'll be having my gruel in steerage, with my one inch reclining seat. ;)

mattincanberra
07-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Feel free to take the hot weather back to Australia with you! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

It was 28 when I left home last week, I think people would welcome a little bit of warmth - not this much, but lets go half way.

Apparently if it is hot in Dallas on Friday I will get an un-sheduled stop in New Caledonia for refuelling - a good chance to practice my school-boy French.

skunkvette
07-21-2011, 04:48 AM
It was 28 when I left home last week, I think people would welcome a little bit of warmth - not this much, but lets go half way.

Apparently if it is hot in Dallas on Friday I will get an un-sheduled stop in New Caledonia for refuelling - a good chance to practice my school-boy French.

Matt,

When you get a chance please read the first post on the Foxtrot Oscar thread, we need your final confirmation and menu selection.

I sent you a PM earlier this week, thanks - see you soon.

Frank

mattincanberra
07-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Matt,

When you get a chance please read the first post on the Foxtrot Oscar thread, we need your final confirmation and menu selection.

I sent you a PM earlier this week, thanks - see you soon.

Frank

Confirmed!

skunkvette
07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Matt!

Only ones left to confirm are Micki and John.

Hello????

Sarabi's Cubs
07-22-2011, 06:45 AM
The Today Show just did a story about Catherine's wedding dress being on display at Buckingham Palace. Can't wait to see it!!!:yay:

Laurie

DisneyKevin
07-22-2011, 09:12 AM

sayhello
07-22-2011, 01:28 PM
The Today Show just did a story about Catherine's wedding dress being on display at Buckingham Palace. Can't wait to see it!!!:yay:

LaurieIt's a good thing we already bought our tickets! I have a feeling it's going to be a tough ticket to get now!

BONUS! :cool1:

Sayhello

Sarabi's Cubs
07-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I just went to transfer my Disney Visa rewards points to a rewards card to use at DLP. When I looked at the list of places you can use the card, I didn't see DLP anywhere.:eek: Maybe you can only use them at the US resorts and DCL. It doesn't look like I will be able to use those points at DLP. Bummer!:sad2:

Laurie

sayhello
07-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I just went to transfer my Disney Visa rewards points to a rewards card to use at DLP. When I looked at the list of places you can use the card, I didn't see DLP anywhere.:eek: Maybe you can only use them at the US resorts and DCL. It doesn't look like I will be able to use those points at DLP. Bummer!:sad2:

LaurieI was wondering about that! Poops. That would have been so nice. Of course, they'd have to convert them to Rewards euros, so that's probably too much bother...

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Christy's wine bag arrived for our adventure. It is going over empty and coming back with a case and not in a case!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252153_1873179998382_1507643690_31521303_3510059_n .jpg

k5jmh
07-22-2011, 08:19 PM
OK, here is the scoop on WiFi at out hotels...

...I also wanted to let you know that there is no free wifi in either hotel. The hotel in Paris is no longer a Renaissance. It changed hands while we were there. I don't know what they are going to do about the wifi, but there is a McDonalds about half a block down with free wifi. In Paris, if you are a Hilton Gold member you get free wifi. Make sure to take your membership card. They don't have much luck looking up your number. If you are going to DLP, you have to go to the gift shop on the 2nd level to buy an internet card. We bought an hour for 4.5 euros. You can buy 24 hours but I can't remember how much, but it is 24 hours straight, i.e. 10 a.m. Monday until 10 a.m. Tuesday. If you buy the hour, its good for 60 minutes and doesn't expire until you use all of your time. We also found that the Earl of Sandwich in the Disney Village has free wifi. Starbucks had free wifi also, but wanted us to fill out an online form with all of our contact info. We didn't feel comfortable doing that so just stuck with buying drinks and/or sandwiches at the Earl, which has great food if you haven't tried them.

also about SIM Cards.

DO NOT BUY THEM FROM VENDING MACHINES!!!!

let me repeat that.

DO NOT BUY THEM FROM VENDING MACHINES!!!

My plan is to get off of the plane and head to a T-mobile store near the hotel and get one for my IPad. It is way too expensive to buy them in advance.

sayhello
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Did folks all get the link for the Podcast from the Royal Collection? It's describing some of the stuff we'll see during our tour!

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=964

Sayhello

k5jmh
07-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Emiel posted this on FB..

http://www.dlrptoday.com/images/2011/07/4725_1-600x399.jpg

Disneyland Paris news: Sleeping Beauty Castle’s newly golden spires make glistening return as scaffolding disappears!

k5jmh
07-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Looks like Foxtrot Oscar is rockin' on Sundays...

from Twitter

GR_FoxtrotOscar Gordon Ramsay
80 for lunch, here we go........

k5jmh
07-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Beautiful day in London today!!

39 days!!!

jcb
07-24-2011, 09:29 AM
You world travelers should turn on versus for beautiful live views of Paris. Ignore the boys on bikes if you want.

Vive le tour

sayhello
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Emiel posted this on FB..

http://www.dlrptoday.com/images/2011/07/4725_1-600x399.jpgOMG, it's gorgeous!!! I can't believe we'll be there in six and a half weeks! :woohoo::dance3:

Looks like Foxtrot Oscar is rockin' on Sundays...I saw that on facebook. :eek:

Beautiful day in London today!!

39 days!!!Wow! Cool live stream! It does look beautiful. I do wonder what the heck the weather is going to be like in 39 days...

You world travelers should turn on versus for beautiful live views of Paris. Ignore the boys on bikes if you want.

Vive le tour???? :confused: Explain, please?

Sayhello

jcb
07-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Versus is the US tv channel that shows the Tour de France. I doubt it plays in Canada.