PDA

View Full Version : tell me about 50's prime time

sazzifrazz
11-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I have most of my ADR's planned but Im struggling with my final plan. I don't have a definate ADR for our DHS day. I have a lunch ADR at 50's prime time. Is it worth using dining credits? The menu for lunch is really limited...but is the food at least good? What meals are good there-meatloaf?
Is the dinner better than lunch?

Would you do sci fi over 50's? I have a 4 yr old so entertainment during meals is key ;) I think he would like both of these, but I thought DH and my dad would geta chuckle out of 50's.

Roxychica7
11-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Never eaten at 50's before, but have eaten at Sci-Fi...the big screen with all the cool movie scenes may keep your little one more entertained...burgers are great there, we've always enjoyed Sci-Fi and I personally think the food has been better now than years past, and we've always gone for lunch and just paid out of pocket for it

From what I've heard of 50's, it's hit or miss with the waiter/waitress if they're fun and get into the act, but the pot roast is supposed to be awesome

Ro Z
11-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Prime Time food is very good. Huge sandwiches and salads at lunch. The fried chicken and pot roast are my fav's. The meatloaf not so much. They used to have a shrimp cocktail that my DH loved but it was gone when we ate there a couple weeks ago. Desserts are also good! Going back in 11 days and we will eat there again!
Like the Sci Fi but the menu is very limited compared to PT IMO. I would stick with PT.

LaurenInWonderland11
11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
We love 50's Prime Time. We go every trip. We've always been lucky enough to have fun waiters/waitresses, but I must say that this past trip was our favorite time there. Our waitress was Cousin Theresa and she was hilarious! She had us all laughing the entire time :rotfl: She played a game with us (we had to name all the animated Disney films) She told us all about the famous people that have eaten there (The Jonas Brothers, Vanessa Hudgens, etc.) And she really played up the family member role. The atmosphere is wondeful, I love all the old timey T.Vs. And as far as the food goes, none of us has ever been dissapointed. My parents enjoy the pot roast, I know the chicken is really good. And despite what everyone usually says, I tried the meatloaf last time and to me, it was the best I've ever had. I've ordered it the past two trips and I for one, love it. And of course, we love the desert! I've only had the brownie but man is it good! It has all the great toppings. So yes, I would definitey recommend 50's Prime Time :thumbsup2

We've also eaten at Sci Fi a few years back. We really enjoyed the atmosphere, but weren't highly impressed with the food. To me, 50's is a better experience. But like I said, it's been a few years, the food at Sci Fi could be better :confused3

I hope this helps, and I hope you guys have a good vacation :wizard:

mwmom
11-26-2010, 08:59 PM
We just returned yesterday and ate at 50's Prime Time for the first time this week. I was a little nervous because I thought if the waiter went overboard, he/she might scare my daughter, but Keith was the perfect waiter. He read my daughter perfectly and knew just where to draw the line, but he spent time talking to her and making her feel comfortable. He went out of his way to make it a good experience. When she saw that someone at another table got a cupcake for their birthday, she asked if she could have one and he brought that out AND ice cream.

I had the pot roast and thought it was very tasty. My daughter had the hot dog, so it was nothing special, but she ate it so I was happy that she actually ate something.

Last time we ate at Hollywood and Vine and I thought the food at 50's was better than H&V.

mickeysbestfriend
11-28-2010, 07:45 AM
and as always the good was excellent. we had a conbination of dining plan and oop. My wife and sister had the fried chicken, I had the meat loaf and my brother and his wife had the steak. Everyont thought their food was fantastic. We even manager to stay out of trouble with our waitress for the most part but slipped up a couple of times and were repremanded...

Try it! You will love it!

cntrygal
11-28-2010, 07:58 PM
We love bothe and will be eating at both in the same day on our upcoming january trip

fzgards
11-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Never eaten at 50's before

BlackPearl695
11-29-2010, 01:45 AM
We loved 50s PT! Our waiter, Byron was so good with our boys. When we started talking about our next trip to WDW my 10 yr old said, "Mom, we have to go back and see Byron!" We will definitely go back. The food was really good and the service was awesome!

fla4fun
11-29-2010, 03:47 AM
I'm glad to hear the both Sci Fi and 50's are getting some good feedback. I haven't eaten at either one for years, but I have lunch reservations for both next week.

OhThePain
11-29-2010, 07:08 AM
My girlfriend and I were not impressed with Sci-Fi. We are glad we did it because the atmosphere is worth checking out once, but once was enough for us for a while. As for 50's, this is where we usually go for lunch on our DHS day (we usually get there in the morning and are done shortly after lunch). Last time my girlfriend had a sandwich that she really enjoyed and I really liked my chicken potpie. We split a strawberry shake and 'smores for dessert which was great. When on the plan we usually end up using a TS credit for lunch here. However, there really isn't much $$$ value to use a credit on lunch, but in the end it is worth going to.

goofy4prez
11-29-2010, 07:47 AM
For me, I'm not overly crazy for either place on the dp. Between the two I would go with 50's PT. Sci-Fi has great theming but is ok for diner, I'll pass. 50's is a lot of fun, but I just have a hard time getting excited about pot roast, fried chicken, or meatloaf when on vacation. I have a tough time with this park for dinner and usually pass on it and eat at Epcot which is not far. But as you mentioned, you do have a 4 year old and I think they will enjoy either of your choices.

yarlenna
11-29-2010, 07:57 AM
As a child of the 50s (ok 40s), I felt very comfortable - like going home. I loved the food and the vib. It is the way I would love my grand kids see that era. :dance3:

walkdmc
11-29-2010, 07:59 AM
For a 4 yo, some of the movie clips at Sci Fi might be scary. That said, Sci Fi is my kids (9 and 6) favorite restaurant on property. I personally love it and would pick it over 50's PT. But, if you've never done 50's PT and don't know if you'll ever have another chance, I'd do it for sure. I love the decor and the PB Jelly shake and fried chicken. It's not healthy fare, but it's tasty! I do think it's worth the credits and if you're a party of 4, you'll most likely be seated in a TV table which is the coolest thing! If you had to choose one, I'd pick the Sci Fi, if you think your son will be okay with the giant sci fi monster clips.

DreamLiveLoveDisney
11-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I LOVE 50's Prime Time! We had so much fun there on our last trip. The food was great, and I loved the atmosphere. Our waitress was very good, but didn't go overboard as I've heard of some others doing. My DH finished his whole meal, and the waitress put a sticker on his forehead that read "Member of the clean plate club". Other than character meals, 50's was definitely our most memorable meal.

Hopefully
11-29-2010, 08:11 AM
We love the 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch on our HS day. On our last trip our waitress was hilarious and we had lots and lots of fun.
I had the Fried Chicken and I thought it was great. DH loved the pot roast and the sundae for desert.
I would go with the 50's.
Have Fun

lucyem
11-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Ate at Sci Fi in Feb. We had a great time. We had been warned to stick with basic hamburger and milkshakes there and we enjoyed the food. My 7 yr old freaked at the movie previews and asked to never go back :confused3. My 4 yr old LOVED the cars and enjoyed the whole experience. In the middle of a hot summer this is a fabulous place to cool down.

Ate at 50's PT in October. My mom walked in and said "gee it's like being at my grandparents house". She kept pointing at things and telling us who had had one :laughing: The food was more heavy, especially on a very hot day, but good. I stuck with a salad. Our waiter was very nice but absolutely no playing around with us which was a bummer. My now 8 yr old was perfectly happy with the tv clips and my now 5 yr old was fine as well.

I would go back to either one :)

LilGMom
11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Given the choice between the two, 50s or Sci-Fi, I'd pick Sci-fi. Our two boys (5 & 9) have gone to Sci-Fi since before they could sit up by themselves and they have no issue with the movie clips. We used to point out the cheesiness of the older Sci-Fi films or try to find the wires holding up the spiders, etc. and they love the Tom & Jerry clips.

50s... the last time we ate there our server gave us absolutely zero interaction other than to take our order and then we saw her when she messed up our desserts and when she dropped the bill off. The food is ok but the portions have gotten quite a bit smaller than previous years and DH's pot roast was mostly fat.

Withacy
11-29-2010, 12:25 PM
I go to both 50's PT & SF Drive In on every trip. Even back before the dining plan, when they were the only two TS I'd spring for on the whole trip. Of course, I'm not a super picky eater, so if food is your biggest concern, don't mind me.

I'll be eating at both - 2 weeks from tomorrow, as a matter of fact!

I've had waiters at 50's that were really into it, and some not so much. OK, the looped clips at Sci Fi is getting a little boring to me (how many times have I seen it now?!?!?) - but since I'm always there with different people who have never seen either place before, it's still fun. And it's as much about nostalgia as 50's - I went to the Drive In when I was a kid (in the 70's, during their last gasp) - and they even have those metal box speakers you put in the window. Really cool.

At 50's, I love the fried chicken, and at Sci Fi, I really love their Reuben.

BriarRosie
11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
50's Prime Time is one of the places I still enjoy going to after all the years I've been going to WDW.

I don't make myself the comfort food they serve, so it is a treat for me. I have ordered meatloaf and fried chicken meals, and I think the portion sizes are big. Especially the chicken meal!

Some servers get into the act more than others, and all servers will completely stop any antics if the guests are uncomfortable. Sometimes you'll see guests who want the interaction, but they end up with a "normal" server. It happens.

At least the food is pretty decent. ;)

Chee Chick
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I am so happy to hear mostly positive things about 50's PTC. I just booked this restaurant for my trip in May. I have eaten at Sci-Fi and while I love the atmosphere, the food wasn't so great.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I have been to 50's Prime Time Cafe a few times and one of my favorite items is their Meatloaf and it tastes great. I also like their Fish Sandwich, however that's only available on their lunch menu.

Disneyfreak508
11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
definitely stick with 50's. sci fi is good, but last time i was there, we ate in the car (not even facing eachother because it sat 2 and 2 so you could see the screen) and we were there so long that the movie started repeating. it definitely wasn't bad, but the 50's has never disappointed me.

It's worth risking to see if you get a good waiter or not, because even if you don't, the food is really good there. the fried chicken with mashed potatoes is what i always get, and it's fantastic. the waiter recommended it to me the first time i was there, and i have gotten it every time after. (i think we've gone around 5 or 6 times now.) and if you are lucky enough to get an entertaining waiter, you are going to really enjoy yourself.

the theming is great, the food is delicious, and i think you'll have a very enjoyable time :thumbsup2

jess20k
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
We love 50's PT! We do usually go for lunch, and we do get the DDP. But, when we go there we just pay oop. IMO, I do not think it is a good value to use the DDP credits there. I would rather use the credits for somewhere else, where the entree's are more $$$. But, regardless, the food is very good and we love the atmosphere. For me personally, I always order the Fried Chicken, it is sooo good!!!! :thumbsup2 My DH loves the Pot Roast, and my DS likes the shakes there..he also usually orders the Fried Chicken as well.

By the way, we dined at Sci Fi only once, but I did not like the food at all!!! The atmosphere was fun, but once was enough for me!

wildernesslodgefan
11-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Love going there, never would miss it on a trip

lblume91
11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
We've eaten at both & would vote for 50s PT, hands down! We were very disappointed in Sci Fi. We had a server with an off-night and so-so food. Although I knew the seating configuration before we went, I was still a little put off by it. It just seemed strange to eat while looking at the backs of my family's heads. As a family of 5, we had a car to ourselves. Middle DD sat in front row, oldest & youngest DDs sat in middle, & DH & I sat in the backseat :rolleyes1. Anywho... it just seemed wierd.

We tried 50s for the 1st time last year & totally loved it! In fact, I made an ADR for our May trip just yesterday morning.

dutchdisneyfamily
11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
We ate there last summer and loved it! The kids are begging to go back again.

MSSANDRA
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Love 50's prime time. Fried chicken was the best. They also have onion strings that are wonderful. They will also sub out things like the greens for other sides if you wish. Save room for desert. yummy too.

Alabama Minnie
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
We enjoy eating at both of these. Sci-fi might appeal more to kids though since you sit in the little cars and watch the movies. We always get the burger and shakes there. I don't think kids really appreciate 50's that much but we (both born in the 50s) enjoy it. It's also more fun if you "play-along" with the "cousins" there. The fried chicken is VERY good and it is about 1/2 a chicken.

hsbigboy
11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Both 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi are great for atmosphere. We always do Sci-Fi for lunch - good burgers, and 50's Prime Time - pot roast or meat loaf are wonderful.

amberjack
11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
We are pick eaters in my family and 50's Prime Time is a place we all enjoy. It's what I would consider "comfort food".

Birdman1511
11-29-2010, 09:23 PM
5 words... peanut butter and jelly milkshake:goodvibes

Fantasmiss
11-30-2010, 05:02 AM
50's PT is the place I really wanted to love, but I've always been disappointed. The food isn't good and we always got boring waiters, so we stopped going.

Sci-fi on the other hand is great! The food is only ok, but the experience is amazing!!

pampam
11-30-2010, 06:35 AM
We like the atmosphere of both, so we usually eat lunch at PT, but have dessert at SciFi.

snykymom
11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm glad to hear the fried chicken is still good! We're going our first night there specifically for the chicken, as I no longer have a KFC near me! Last time, we had a dull waiter, but the food was good!

Dallas_Lady
11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
We have been to both and enjoyed both. The Sci Fi is just really cool, I had the burgers and fries and a fish sandwich (I think?) and they were both good. 50s PT was the highlight of our last trip. We took MIL and she loved it, she still talks about it.

Phlip
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Went last year, and never again. Poor service and nothing special food.

hsbigboy
11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I can only say that we've been there 4 time, 3 dinner, 1 lunch, and always had the best in service and food.

maminnie
11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
We went to 50's Prime Time in 2009 and 2010 and had great servers and pretty good food. We always enjoy the atmosphere very much. Our kids really got a kick out of it especially since we reminded them that we once only had black and white TV with three to five channels......what would be a living nightmare for them!!!!

maminnie