PDA

View Full Version : Which Character Meal to get rid of? Opinions needed

ImaDVCwannabe
11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
My husband and I are planning/talking about our next Disney World trip and need some advice about character meals. When we visit we will have three little girls. E will be 6, J will be 3, and A will be 1. We are considering a 10 day trip but have 13 table service restaurants that we like and therefore need to downsize. Anyway on with my question. Which of the following should we eliminate? :confused:

Tusker House-Donald’s Safari Breakfast

Akershus Royal Banquet Princess Storybook Breakfast [I](we are doing CRT so I don't know if we should do two princess character meals)

Crystal Palace

Chef Mickey’s Dinner Buffet

1900 Park Fare (this is the only character meal we have done but the girls like the Alice in Wonderland characters)

Thanks in advance for any advice :goodvibes

eva
11-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Personally, I would skip Chef Mickey's and go to Camp Mickey at AK after Tusker House to see Minnie. She is the one you will miss by skipping Chef Mickey's. We did almost the exact same meals you have listed with our DGD-4 this past May. We had a blast! And the little parade they did at Tusker House was one of her favorite things.

arcticdisneylovers
11-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Definately skip CHef Mickey's dinner, the food is :sick:

Lauralooneyfordisney
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I would skip Akershus since you are already doing CRT.

LittleStinkerbelle
11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd skip 1900 PF.

carrie6466
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Another vote for Chef Mickey's if it's for dinner. We didn't like the dinner food there.

6264EVER
11-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I would skip the princess meal at Epcot because you already have CRT. Chef Mickey's is fun, but the food at dinner is so - so.....

jenjersnap
11-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Chef Mickey's, for sure. We've done both CRT and Akershus on the same trips twice and maybe we've been lucky but we've only had two princesses overlap between the two: Belle but she was wearing different dresses and Aurora.

kinghorse
11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
My daughter loved Park Fare, Cinderella at dinner and Mary Poppins at breakfast and I loved the food at both. She also loved Mickeys Backyard BBQ, I don't think you can get better character participation then these and have fun. If you go the the BBQ then you can go early and the kids can ride Cinderellas pony's as I tell my daughter.

LoveKermit
11-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Agreed with above (though not been to CMs, just heard things), but I will tell you what I wouldn't skip--

Crystal Palace (puffed french toast and breakfast lasagna) and

Tusker House--Mickey goes table to table, the food is good (bobotie) and has slightly more "adult" food while still having the basics. We just tried this and won't miss it again.

ImaDVCwannabe
11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the great advice. You have given my husband and I alot to think about ;)

FlightlessDuck
11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
1900 Park Fare (this is the only character meal we have done but the girls like the Alice in Wonderland characters)

I thought Cinderella's stepmom and sisters were at 1900 Park Fare.

jenjersnap
11-19-2010, 07:40 PM
I thought Cinderella's stepmom and sisters were at 1900 Park Fare.

That is dinner. Breakfast has Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins and a Pooh character.

MotherofLandon
11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I would also nix Chef Mickey's. My son actually got sick off their food when he was 4 :sick:

Oh and the solution to the vomit? The waitress put a napkin over it... and left it there :scared1:

ktlm
11-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Another vote for Chef Mickey's dinner. Food wise, it is the worst character meal we have ever had. The characters were cute and our server was great, but the food (other than the salad and most of the desserts-except the ice cream which was basically soup) was disgusting. My MIL got sick from it that night. The restaurant was filthy and we were there early in the dinner service. When we walked in, my DH took one look at the disgusting floor and whispered to me "Are we really going to Eat here?!?". We aren't neat freaks or that picky either. I watch a kid drop the chicken tongs on the floor and then pick them up and put them back in the chicken. His horrified mother told the server on the buffet what he had done and apologized. If she changed the chicken or even changed out the tongs after that, I sure didn't see her do it.

lvloopingbag
11-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Yep, gotta agree with getting rid of Chef Mickey's for dinner......

Pooh&OurHunny
11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I would skip Chef Mickey dinner b/c the food was really bad. Since you are going to CRT, I would skip the one in Epcot.

stitchaholic
11-21-2010, 08:41 AM
akershus is the one we would cancel

Disneyfreak616
11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I'd say Chef Mickey's, not good :sick: and also Akershus, because you really don't need 2 princess meals. Try other places, like Boma at AKL, which is delicious. Or, if you have picky eaters, try Tutto Italia in EPCOT....classy "grown-ups" menu, and a great one for kids too, with plenty of choices. :santa:

olivia's mommy
11-21-2010, 03:26 PM
That's a tough one because the characters really are great at CM but the food is aweful, IMHO. Although we have only been there for dinner, perhaps breakfast is better? But I would probably be inclined to skip a princess meal since you are doing both.

crostorfer
11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Drop that Chef Mickey's dinner like a hot potato, the food is terrible.

We did both Akershus and CRT on our last trip. Don't worry about they being similar. Odds are that you will see at least one princess at one that won't be at the other.

CathieArms
11-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Akershus Royal Banquet Princess Storybook Breakfast (we are doing CRT so I don't know if we should do two princess character meals)
I would definitely keep this one, even if it means canceling CRT. If you just have to do CRT, then I guess I'd cancel this one because - if you have to cancel something - there's no point in doing 2 princess meals.

Crystal Palace
If you keep 1900 Park Fare, won't you get Pooh and Tigger there, too? I that's the case, then I'd drop this one in favor of 1900 Park Fare.

Chef Mickey’s Dinner Buffet
If you do Tusker House for Breakfast (and it has rave reviews), don't you also get Mickey there? If Mickey is your goal at Mickey's buffet, then maybe you could be happy with Tusker House. It seems like Tusker House has Daisy (?) and we couldn't find her ANYWHERE else when we were there a year ago last July.

Luv2Roam
11-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Also keep in mind your meal entitlements are based on how many nights you stay.
So although you are planning 10 days, your entitlements will be for 9 nights.

ImaDVCwannabe
11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks so much for the wonderful advice. I think that we have made some great choices that my girls are going to be very happy with. I'm so excited to go!! :)

PoohsFan1
11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm another one that votes for CM dinner. We have been there for dinner and for breakfast and was disappointed both times. The characters are rushed so you don't get good quality time with them and the food is not all that is cracked up to be.

If I were you, I would definitely keep Tusker House (not our first choice of character meals, however it is the only one where you can see Daisy), Akershus breakfast (this is our all time favorite princess meal, the character interaction is much better here than at CRT and the food is really really good, plus if you are paying OOP, it is the cheaper of the two, but if you are on the dining plan, why not do both), and Crystal Palace...we did this breakfast in September which we loved so much that we are going to be doing again in May. Hope this helps you out some and have a great trip.

jojomoore
11-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I have eaten at each of your choices and Tusker House Breakfast is the meal i would skip, especially since you are meating the Fab 5 at Chef Mickeys. We enjoyed dinner at Chef Mickeys last year so much more than our breakfast at Tusker House this year. You could try Cape May at the Beach Club for breakfast. The food was fresh and delicious when we ate there last week. The characters were Minnie, Donald, and Goofy.

hsbigboy
11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I would definitely keep the Crystal Palace. It's our favorite for Characters (Pooh and friends), food, service, and value.

mickeyluv'r
11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
For us, I'd truly consider dropping several of them. During a week long stay, one character meal is usually enough - two tops. The food is decidedly better at non-character meals - and many of those are lots of fun as well. (But then, I've also found more than seven days at WDW to be too much for us. Seven is good.)

Foodwise, I'd also say Chef Mickey's is pretty bad. You don't specify which meal for 1900PF. WE liked dinner, but thought breakfast was mediocre - including themix of characters we had. I don't know if we just hit an odd day but we saw: Tigger, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins...and I don't recall the rest. It just seemed all over the place - not themed like most meals.

Also, I shoudl say, i've never done the top three you list. After many visits, those three just don't appeal. Tusker mainly hasn't worked out. Askershus the menu doesn't appeal too much.

LuvLuvLuv
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
don't skip tusker house or 1900!! very good food and character interaction!

Fantasmiss
11-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Out of those I'd skip 1900 Park Fare. It's good, but I like the other ones better. The stepsisters can be funny and the food is ok, but the restaurant doesn't look great, and it's just not as good as the other character meals you mention.

Definitely DON'T skip Chef Mickey or Cinderella's Royal Table, Those are my favourites :) :wizard:

jess20k
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I love love love Crystal Palace and Tusker House! I have also dined at the others that you mentioned, and while I did not hate them, I just thought they were not as good. Regarding both food quality and character interaction. We used to love Chef Mickey's, but based on the last time we went, I was not impressed anymore.

Lynn5700
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I would skip Chef Mickeys. I hear the dinner there is not that great.

wildernesslodgefan
11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
:santa: