PDA

View Full Version : Offensive billboards on the way to Disney

turtlechick6
11-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I hope this does not get my flamed or start a huge debate, I don't want it to or think it should but I wanted to see if anyone else notices this.

On the drive into DW we passed about 100 anti-abortion billboards. I am not going to state my stance on this issue one way or another. What bothered me was some of them were downright rude and insulting and offensive. I was actually getting depressed over some of them.

There were some that showed pictures of fetuses and said stuff like about how they had brain activity at 8 weeks or could feel pain blah blah. Well I don't need to see or think about that. I miscarried two babies at 6 and 8 weeks and I really don't need to be reminded of my poor lost babies when I am on my way to DW with my two kids that did not die inside me.

They had ones that showed kids dressed up as firemen and policemen and then showed a kid missing and was like you know pointing out that a lost baby could have been someone important. Again, something I do not want to think about on my way into DW.

They were literally every mile or so and DH started counting them and counted pretty high. What is the deal with this? First of all how can they afford so many billboards in prime billboard territory? Secondly, I feel it is just bad taste for little kids and families to have to be confronted with those on their way to a family vacation in DW or US. I mean come on! I called the number on the billboard one time to tell them off but it was busy. After that I stopped caring.

Has anyone else seen these? They were on 75 south and the Florida turnpike. I would rather look at the "We Bare All" billboards than these offensive anti-abortion ones that just pull at your heartstrings and could prompt kids to ask some pointed questions. Blech! I know it is their right to pay for them and put them up but it just shows lack of taste.

mesaboy2
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
This can't last long.

popcorn::

Suellen
11-18-2010, 09:49 AM
I find all billboards offensive. I think they are obnoxious and ugly and deter from natural scenery. Topic doesn't matter.

Maine. The way life should be.

karebear06
11-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions. I have never noticed the anti-abortion billboards, but I remember as a kid asking questions about the "we bare all" billboards.

Colleen27
11-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I think we've come to a point where everyone is so focused on their own goals and purposes that they really don't care about appropriateness. I'd love to see all billboards disappear just so I never have to have another in-car conversation about strip clubs, abortion, or any other "adult" subject matter while on a family vacation again.

FlightlessDuck
11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I definitely understand the argument, but sometimes the only way to get your message across is to be shocking.

olwyngdh
11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I think we've come to a point where everyone is so focused on their own goals and purposes that they really don't care about appropriateness. I'd love to see all billboards disappear just so I never have to have another in-car conversation about strip clubs, abortion, or any other "adult" subject matter while on a family vacation again.

This!

At 8, my DD doesn't buy the blow-off answers anymore, and keeps asking until we come up with something that satisfies her. It is getting harder and harder to keep her innocent.

turtlechick6
11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Well I thought I should at least put this out there so that people driving through there will at least have a heads up ahead of time about what they are going to see.

Mostly the whole way down 75 south past Atlanta is strip club billboards and anti abortion billboards. Lovely scenery. :P

karebear06
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Well I thought I should at least put this out there so that people driving through there will at least have a heads up ahead of time about what they are going to see.

Mostly the whole way down 75 south past Atlanta is strip club billboards and anti abortion billboards. Lovely scenery. :P

I understand. As a fellow Tennessean, we follow the same path.

Nadjalu
11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Not really the place to discuss something like this.

Crystal_27
11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Those anti-abortion billboards are nothing compared to the anti-meth billboards. Whoa! I don't necessarily take issue with them being out there though. Abortion is a fact of life and if groups have money to spend on billboards, it is their right to do so. Its shocking and some are in bad taste, but, again, freedom of speech and all that good stuff. :goodvibes

tinkerbellandeyor
11-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Why can't they replace the bilboards with ads for the theme parks so everyone can get pumped on the way to there desetation

Planogirl
11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
This will probably be moved (or closed) soon but I agree. I don't hate all billboards (love those about attractions) but they can keep the negative stuff.

mesaboy2
11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Why can't they replace the bilboards with ads for the theme parks so everyone can get pumped on the way to there desetation

And who exactly would "they" be?

ntsammy5
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Are they right next to each other?

On 79 & 77 are lots of signs for Southern Xposure Gentleman's Club. I have a hard time explaining that to my youngest daughter. She wants to know what the gentlemen do in the club. She'll be 30 on her next birthday! :lmao:

Captain_Hook
11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I saw those billboards on our way to Disney this past June. It was approx 4 days after miscarrying (@11weeks). It was all I could do to keep it together while driving. :sad1: It was really the last thing I needed to see. I understand the message, but the images/information was awful for me. I don't think my husband saw them...

okeydokey
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I saw those billboards on our way to Disney this past June. It was approx 4 days after miscarrying (@11weeks). It was all I could do to keep it together while driving. :sad1: It was really the last thing I needed to see. I understand the message, but the images/information was awful for me. I don't think my husband saw them...

I'm so sorry :hug: and I totally agree.

PAcpl
11-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I definitely understand the argument, but sometimes the only way to get your message across is to be shocking.

Next time my 8 year old niece starts asking questions about the OFFENSIVE picketers in front of our local hospital, I will just tell her they are doing it for shock value.

If you want to shock people that is fine. Just don't shove the shocking and offensive material in front of kids faces.

tinkerbellandeyor
11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=mesaboy2;38992099]And who exactly would "they" be?[/QUOTE

Arent there ppl that are in charge of that sort of thing or can't disney or theme parks buy the bilboards and replace the ads

Captain_Hook
11-18-2010, 11:14 AM
It probably just depends on who owns the billboards and who they want to rent space to...

Spike
11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Are they right next to each other?

On 79 & 77 are lots of signs for Southern Xposure Gentleman's Club. I have a hard time explaining that to my youngest daughter. She wants to know what the gentlemen do in the club. She'll be 30 on her next birthday! :lmao:

:rotfl2:

mesaboy2
11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
And who exactly would "they" be?

Arent there ppl that are in charge of that sort of thing or can't disney or theme parks buy the bilboards and replace the ads

You mean the people that regulate free speech? Um, no. And Disney does well, but not so well that they can buy all the billboards in the state.

PS I think I'll refrain from posting anymore in this thread before I get in trouble. ;)

ccgirl
11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Three words...freedom of speech. We may or may not agree on the message but the sender is free to send it.

The older I get, the more I learn that just because one person finds something offensive does not mean another one will.

ChristaDeVil
11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
While I understand the feeling behind it, just not sure this belongs on the theme parks board? (Unless, of course, the OP is trying to stir up something and this is the board that gets the most traffic? Just my two cents...)

RichmondTiggerFan
11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Three words...freedom of speech. We may or may not agree on the message but the sender is free to send it.

The older I get, the more I learn that just because one person finds something offensive does not mean another one will.

:thumbsup2

mariepapa
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
While I understand the feeling behind it, just not sure this belongs on the theme parks board? (Unless, of course, the OP is trying to stir up something and this is the board that gets the most traffic? Just my two cents...)

There seems to be a lot of that lately!

tinkerbellandeyor
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
You mean the people that regulate free speech? Um, no. And Disney does well, but not so well that they can buy all the billboards in the state.

PS I think I'll refrain from posting anymore in this thread before I get in trouble. ;)

True i will stop posting on this thred i guss what confused me is that I have never seen these billboards i only see the onles for theme parks but then again i am only an Hr drive away from the world

lovealatte
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I'd have to agree, I don't think it's appropriate to have those images on the way to Disney. They should be a bit more sensitive I think. Just my .02

cluvsdisney
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It looks like they are doing their job...getting their message out.

I never noticed these billboards in the Disney area - only signs for Disney, Universal, Sea World and other area attractions.

clareita
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Yet another reason I'm glad we fly.

f15robyn
11-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Yet another reason I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't allow any billboards :goodvibes

FlightlessDuck
11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd have to agree, I don't think it's appropriate to have those images on the way to Disney. They should be a bit more sensitive I think. Just my .02

But everywhere is "on the way" to something.

Nayan
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Back in the late 70's my family traveled by bus to California. On the way back through Louisiana (can't remember the town) that night there was a drive-in playing movies that you could clearly see from the highway. Certainly wasn't Disney movies, if ya get my drift :scared1:. My mom was telling me not to look. Nope, didn't even take a peek :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:.

FigNewton
11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
With all due respect this subject has nothing to do with Disney Parks Attractions and Planning. The discussion is not appropriate for this forum.

MrsJD
11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
We have those billboards in my area. And I've never cared for them, but when I saw the one that had a baby saying "I could smile even before I was born", was when I got truly offended by it. It's just outright lying.

finnster77
11-18-2010, 01:22 PM

But I-75 isn't just "the way to Disney." What percentage of the traffic do you actually think are going to Disney? Not trying to pick on you, but several posters seem to think that I-75/Florida Turnpike are just magical roads to vacation instead of the major arteries that they actually are.

Dominus
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I've decided that I'm going to be one of those people who boosts their post count by "calling for the question" aka "moderators please close this thread". I'm sorry if that offends all of you who beg the mods. to close threads that you don't like. :thumbsup2

Brian_WDW74
11-18-2010, 01:24 PM
This topic really isn't suited for the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community Board.

And let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that the DIS is not the place to discuss religion or politics. So let's not go there, shall we? :)

Maine-iac
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I find all billboards offensive. I think they are obnoxious and ugly and deter from natural scenery. Topic doesn't matter.

Maine. The way life should be.

I am so glad Maine does not have billboards!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Charming
11-18-2010, 01:30 PM

:hug: I'm sorry for your loss. :hug:

It's been 2 *years* since and I think I'd still cry!

Colleen27
11-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean anything goes, though. Look at cigarette/tobacco advertising - it is all but extinct because of a consensus that it isn't appropriate for children/teens to be exposed to. There's no reason there shouldn't be some basic standards when it comes to graphic/explicit billboards as well (whether graphic-disturbing or graphic-sexual).

turtlechick6
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Sorry I put this in the wrong forum. I don't have a problem with it being moved.

I just remembered another one of the billboards that pizzed me off. It said something like "By 6 weeks your baby's heart is already beating". That bothered me too because that is false. Going through infertility I know a lot about pregnancy and that is just not true. Babies hearts beat between 6 and 8 weeks. Not right at 6 weeks for every baby or every mother. It varies. I know not a huge deal but I just get irritated by misinformation. If they are going to put up those billboards at least get your facts straight!

I don't mind billboards but I would LOVE to rather see amusement park billboards to get me excited than the ones that just upset me. I think no matter which side of the abortion thing you sit on- no one wants to be smacked in the face with that much info or billboards about it. Just a downer. :(

justskip70003
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
if you dont want to see anything "offensive" fly and take disneys magical express. if you want to drive, then explain the realitys both good and bad of abortion.

disnut8
11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I see these billboards all the time since we go to Disney World about four or five times a year. And I also see the "We Bare All" signs too. I see a lot of signs on the way there. Unless I'm looking for a gas station or a fast food place, whatever is on a billboard just stays in my mind for a fleeting second and then I move on.

It's not a big issue and if you want something more "fun" on the way to Disney World, there are tons of other roads to take. You'll have to start patrolling Route 27, Highway 192, Route 429, I4, etc. You cannot police everything.

If you really are upset about it, I'll be going down there for Thanksgiving weekend and I can send you the billboard sign company so you can send them your concerns. PM me if you want that info and I can send it to you. Otherwise, nothing will be done about it.

seashoreCM
11-18-2010, 05:33 PM
1. The groups that decry the slaughtering of animals etc. were the only customers the billboard company could find to rent the billboards.

2. The billboard company had no customers and put up the offensive stuff to induce others, namely anyone offended enough, to buy the space and cover it up with something different.

3. The billboard company thought that kids young enough to be offended would not recognize a skinless animal or a fetus by seeing a photograph of one. (Unless they had been to a butcher shop where small whole animals such as piglets and ducks are hung in the window.)

Several years ago I remember, on the ride from the airport to Disney, numerous billboards torn apart by a hurricane.

I wonder why this thread was moved to a theme parks subforum since I didn't find anything theme park related in it.

Just_Trish
11-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Count me in as another who hates the billboards. As an Atlantan, I absolutely hate that once you are past Macon, there is nothing but "we bare all" and crap like that. And I am far from a prude, LOL, it's just completely unneccessary. 1 maybe, but not 40 of them!