PDA

View Full Version : Palo $20??

mmtska
11-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I was under the impression that Palo was a $15 charge, but I was reading the USA today photo caption, and it said it was $20. It listed Remy as $75, which I had heard, but what about Palo??

here's the link

http://travel.usatoday.com/gallery/Disney-Cruise-Line%27s-Disney-Dream/A7859

It's picture 36.....

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I head read several sources that indicate the price will be $20 effective January 2011.

clawmachine
11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
It appears to go into effect on 1/29, right after our cruise- we just got in for the $15 price on our 1/22 Western..

over50visits
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Since Disney states the Palo charge includes the gratuity for the servers, it's nice to see them get a small increase.

dahuffy
11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
It's well worth it and then some!!!

mmtska
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Ah! I missed that announcement. Oh well. I want to try for the brunch anyway, but want to try it out either way. It'll be worth it I'm sure!!

And yay for this post (the original) being my 1000th!

mr.b
11-09-2010, 10:27 PM
We've dined at Palo's a number of times, and the only way that I'll go there again is due to being a platinum Castaway Club member. I will qualify my opinion by saying that I am a plain person as regards to eating, and food is not the driving force in my life. I'm told they give you a free dinner at Palo's as a perk for having 10 cruises with the DCL:confused3. If I had to pay $20 (which is double the price I used to pay), I'd eat elsewhere. The food at Palo's is good...but not great, and not worth an additional $20 per person. Others will disagree with me, and they are welcome to take my place at Palo's. It is just Italian food, that's it.:confused3

Suz D
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
It appears to go into effect on 1/29, right after our cruise- we just got in for the $15 price on our 1/22 Western..

We're on the 1/3/11 double dip on the Wonder and according to our ressie, the charge for us is $20.00. I made my ressies at the 90 day mark before the price increase was annouced. I sent an e-mail to DCL because I was under the impression that any ressies made before the price increase would remain $15.00. Sounds like it would be complicated to keep it straight.

over50visits
11-19-2010, 11:15 PM
We've dined at Palo's a number of times, and the only way that I'll go there again is due to being a platinum Castaway Club member. I will qualify my opinion by saying that I am a plain person as regards to eating, and food is not the driving force in my life. I'm told they give you a free dinner at Palo's as a perk for having 10 cruises with the DCL:confused3. If I had to pay $20 (which is double the price I used to pay), I'd eat elsewhere. The food at Palo's is good...but not great, and not worth an additional $20 per person. Others will disagree with me, and they are welcome to take my place at Palo's. It is just Italian food, that's it.:confused3

I'll disagree...it isn't "just" Italian food, it is gourmet dishes, prepared individually and fresh, presented beautifully, and with excellent service. All served in a formal dining room with an adult ambiance, with fellow diners (usually) dressed appropriately for the class of the occasion thus adding to the experience. It's a bargain.

I do chuckle a bit that after you've had 10 cruises, having spent anywhere from $20,000 up (probably way more than that) on cruise fare, DCL gives you the "perk" of waiving the $20 fee. Woo hoo!

skiingfast
11-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I remember when a gallon unleaded gas was under a dollar. Prices go up. It's as certain as death and taxes.

lovethatmouse28
11-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I was just able to make our reservations for Palo at the 75 day mark and it gave me a price of $15.00 pp.

KingRichard
11-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I was just able to make our reservations for Palo at the 75 day mark and it gave me a price of $15.00 pp.

For Feb, 24 we are showing $20, but no brunch options?

RRB
11-20-2010, 01:11 PM
it isn't "just" Italian food, it is gourmet dishes, prepared individually and fresh, presented beautifully, and with excellent service. All served in a formal dining room with an adult ambiance, with fellow diners (usually) dressed appropriately for the class of the occasion thus adding to the experience. It's a bargain.

My feeling exactly!

Randy

cmash95
11-20-2010, 07:44 PM
no wonder the price is going uip. If platinum members get dinner for free then the rest of us pay for it. I loved my brunch at palo's but don't know if the same thing is worth 20 a person. I also added an extra tip for our server. I have to admit he was great. I also think that raising the price is a way for disney to control demand. I have to admit I know there are many people on these boards that are willing to shell out $150.00 for dinner for two, but I am not one of them So i doubt that I will be eating at remmy anytime soon.

lovethatmouse28
11-20-2010, 08:57 PM
For Feb, 24 we are showing $20, but no brunch options?

I am not sure about Brunch...we got a 7pm ressie for Feb 4th. It definitely said $15.00 last night but I have not been on at all today so I am not sure if it changed.

*love*2*shop
11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
we are not fancy people either and passed on palo the last time we cruised. i would like to try it this time, but Not do dinner. If they have Brunch, is it the same cost as the dinner?

Suz D
11-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Just got an e-mail back from DCL. According to the e-mail, those people who booked Palo before November 1st will be grandfathered in at $15.00. Although she didn't say it, I'm assuming she means anyone sailing after January 1st.

jilljill
11-21-2010, 12:57 PM
From DCL's website:

An additional charge is required to dine at Palo.

Dinner: $15 dining charge, per person
Brunch: $15 dining charge, per person
High Tea: $5 dining charge, per person

Please note prices are subject to change without notice.

Effective January 30, 2011 the cost of Palo Brunch and Dinner will increase from $15 per person to $20 per person. The cost of the Palo High Tea will increase from $5 per person to $10 per person.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/wonder/dining/palo/

*love*2*shop
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
ok guys...HELP...I can book PALO today and there a ton of spots open...I wont do Dinner because we arent fancy and im sure wont enjoy it-BUT Brunch might be nice- more our taste...BUT why should I pay 40.00 for a BRunch when they feed us breakfast for free on board? Help convince me to book Brunch? Is it worth it???:confused3

inkkognito
11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
If you need convincing, you probably should skip it. Breakfast in the other restaurants is good (we especially like the eggs benedict at Tritons/Lumieres), but Palo has breakfast and lunch options made to order, as well as a wide variety of cold seafood, cheeses, veggies like sundried tomatoes and marinated mushrooms and the like, as well as an array of desserts. I find it well worth the price, but people who aren't big on "froo froo" food would likely not share that opinion.

toontoy
11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I was thinking the charge increase isn't something I am happy about but other ships I have been on, Princess and Royal have speciality restaraunts which are about the same, I prefer Palo. The main point I was thinking about is that at 15 it was a great value at 20, its still ok but not as great but its less than the other speciality dining on the others. On Royal I paid 25 plus tip for a speciality one on the Radiance of the seas, and on Princess I think it was around 25 as well so Disney is still a little less.

The only upside that I can think of is that with the increase people may be turned off and it will be easier for me to get my brunch and dinner. That said I still think it worth it and my wife will be dining there, she loves it.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Gotta say I'm kinda surprised at the number of people balking at $ 5 ?!

Really? When you consider the price of the whole, several thousand dollar cruise? What's another $5? :confused3

And when I think of the price of Bingo, etc (I forget what it is now ... $20/more per game?). We DEFINITELY got more enjoyment out of Palo. And it lasted longer, too. ;) Not that Bingo wasn't fun. We'll play another game or two on the next cruise.

We did the brunch 2 years ago and it was worth every single penny ... and even worth 500 more (cents)! :lmao:

Definitely doing it again!

hodgesda1
11-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Prices of everything continue to go up. Just like everyone expects to get raises at their jobs, Disney expects to take those raises when you cruise with them. People spend money on what they WANT not what they need. Disney knows that, and if they didn't think they could get $20 per person for Palo they wouldn't raise the price. The mouse is not dumb. I will continue to dine at Palo every cruise because I want to, not because the cost is so wonderful. I think the gas prices went up recently, but we all still drive.

I am making a little fun of this Palo issue, but we all know that we all spend money on what we, as an individual feel is important.

Please don't be mad at me for this post :rolleyes1

matrixband
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
On my first Disney (Magic) cruise in 2001, Palo was a $7 charge. Inflation (and supply and demand too I suppose).

matrixband
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
The mouse is not dumb.

Once, at Disney's Magic Kingdom (at the end of the day)... There was a massive throng of people moving steadily towards the exit. Suddenly, it stopped for a moment. I just knew there was one person who was stopped because they still had one last dollar left in their wallet. Disney cannot have that.

NancyIL
11-21-2010, 07:59 PM
The cruise lines I've been on that offer afternoon tea (Princess and HAL) charge nothing for it.

Mrsjvb
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
ok guys...HELP...I can book PALO today and there a ton of spots open...I wont do Dinner because we arent fancy and im sure wont enjoy it-BUT Brunch might be nice- more our taste...BUT why should I pay 40.00 for a BRunch when they feed us breakfast for free on board? Help convince me to book Brunch? Is it worth it???:confused3

like somebody said, if you have to ask, then no prolly not.
Brunch also tends to be fancy.

but that being said.. the dessert table and sheer variety of eggs benedict alone.. *SWOON* just be careful. otherwise your server will bring you out a grape pizza despite your protestations that you are stuffed to the gills..and you eat it and fall in love

ImprovGal
11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
The cruise lines I've been on that offer afternoon tea (Princess and HAL) charge nothing for it.

I will say that the tea itself that they serve at the Palo afternoon tea is the loose leaf variety (can't remember brand) that they sell in the Cove Cafe, not the Twinings tea that's at the beverage station. I think it was around $4 or perhaps $5 for the pot of tea in Cove Cafe. So I don't see a problem with the $5 charge for the service at Palo.

NancyIL
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I will say that the tea itself that they serve at the Palo afternoon tea is the loose leaf variety (can't remember brand) that they sell in the Cove Cafe, not the Twinings tea that's at the beverage station. I think it was around $4 or perhaps $5 for the pot of tea in Cove Cafe. So I don't see a problem with the $5 charge for the service at Palo.

It's going to be $10 after Jan. 31. As I said, that's one thing I've had on other cruise lines at no additional charge. I can see $20 for dinner at Palo, but $10 for tea, little finger sandwiches and little desserts is a bit much, in my opinion. I'd rather wait until I'm at WDW post-cruise and pay for tea at the Grand Floridian.

LKFan
11-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Just booked Palo for MR Feb cruise. When I added it to my activities and confirmed, it said, "$15 per Guest." When I go back to review my reservation, it says "$20 per guest." On the same note, High Tea says $5 per guest and then changes to $10 per guest after reservation is confirmed. :teacher:

jlwhitney
11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Since Disney states the Palo charge includes the gratuity for the servers, it's nice to see them get a small increase.

We just got off and asked our server about the charge and tips and he said the charge is for the food only and not for tips, they are extra. We have had the server multiple times both in the dining hall and in Palo and he has been working on the cruise since the begginnig (or really close to is). He did confirm it is going up in jan. 2011. He said it is because the cost of the food has gone up (called inflation)

speedo
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Just got an e-mail back from DCL. According to the e-mail, those people who booked Palo before November 1st will be grandfathered in at $15.00. Although she didn't say it, I'm assuming she means anyone sailing after January 1st.

That would be great if true but I booked in October and my reservation confirmation now says $20 per guest. I'll ask about the grandfather clause when I get on board but not keeping my hopes up. The increase won't deter me though - $20 is worth it to me for a nice dinner in a kids free atmosphere. But this is my first time sailing so never been to Palo at the lower rate.

cmclaura
11-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I had the same thing happen, so I contacted Guest Services. We're sailing on January 8 and I understood the increase is for after January 29.

This is their reply:

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Please be assured that once onboard you will be charged the lower rates
for your Palo reservations.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

This had happened to us once before, when it went up from $10 to $15. We were credited on our on-board account for the increase, so all was fine.

Yay!

Luvstocruise
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
We are sailing on the Magic Feb 5th 7 Day Western and when I made my Reservations for Palo Supper and Brunch this morning, there was no mention anywhere that I could see that the price was now $20.00 pp or going up to that, it was $15.00 pp. I just checked my printout of "My Cruise Activities" and it specifically says "$15 per guest" Maybe I am confusing some price increase that will be in affect for the Dream.:confused3

Luvstocruise