PDA

View Full Version : Fire cripples carnival ship

joksten2000
11-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Florida-based Carnival Cruise Lines 952-fool long Carnival Splendor is being towed to Ensenada after a fire broke out Monday disabling the ship

"Conditions on board the ship are very challenging and we sincerely apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience our guests are currently enduring," said Gerry Cahill, president and chief executive officer of Carnival.

The vessel's captain is in contact with the U.S. Coast Guard which has deployed aircraft and cutters to the cruise ship's location.

Carnival Splendor was on the first leg of a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that departed Sunday from Long Beach.

After the fire, passengers were initially asked to move from their cabins to the ship's upper open deck areas.

Currently, passengers are being provided with bottled water and food items.

dursin
11-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Scary, but sounds like nobody was hurt and Carnival seems to be compensating the guests well (ie, full refund on this cruise, reimbursement of travel costs and a complimentary future cruise).

tvguy
11-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Link to story.
http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/carnival-splendor-cruise-ship-fire-coast-guard-san-diego/130360/1?csp=hf&loc=interstitialskip

Mmketeer
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Their are two words I never want to hear on a cruiseship- Bravo, Bravo. I feel bad for the folks on that cruise. Nothing like being all excited about going on vacation and then not getting to go. :( Poor Carnival, this kind of thing always seems to happen to them and I heard this ship was in dry dock not to long ago. Well, I am glad to hear they are getting the ship back into port and that they are compensating these folks as well as they are. :)

dzneprincess
11-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I've been following this one too. It says the pax will be reimbursed for their travel back home but eek what a nightmare. What if there aee folks that do not have the $$$ to get home and wait to be reimbursed.

True Romance
11-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I think they are towing the ship to the closest Mexican port. What if some passengers do not have passports, they will have problems flying home. Another good reason to have a passport.

narsibvl
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
The problem is there is no Air conditioner running and no hot food. The sooner the ship gets towed to the port, the better.

dursin
11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I've been following this one too. It says the pax will be reimbursed for their travel back home but eek what a nightmare. What if there aee folks that do not have the $$$ to get home and wait to be reimbursed.
I was thinking that if this happened to me and it was early in the trip (like 1st or 2nd day), I don't think that what they are offering would be enough compensation. They're basically having people reschedule their vacations at a HUGE inconvenience and the compensation offered pretty much just gets them to a break-even point as far as $$$ are concerned.

one princess
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I was thinking that if this happened to me and it was early in the trip (like 1st or 2nd day), I don't think that what they are offering would be enough compensation. They're basically having people reschedule their vacations at a HUGE inconvenience and the compensation offered pretty much just gets them to a break-even point as far as $$$ are concerned.
I think they were offered a full refund plus travel and then also a free cruise in the future. I think that sounds fair.

Belle091507
11-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Really? I thought i read they are getting a full refund on this trip plus a full refund for all transportation costs plus an additional cruise credit for another cruise worth the value of what they spent on this cruise to use towards another cruise...for me break even would be just refunding the trip plus transport i find the additional credit to be an acceptable bonus, but then again i am usually pretty easygoing about things like this.

Either way it sucks for the people onboard who thought they were going on vacation this week :sad:

Belle091507
11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I think they were offered a full refund plus travel and then also a free cruise in the future. I think that sounds fair.

lol! i was writing at the same time the same thing! Great minds think alike :)

Laura24
11-09-2010, 12:08 PM

what price do you put on "safety first'? You can't predict or control what is unpredictabe. Accidents/incidents happen and first and foremost everyone is safe...inconvenienced yes...but safe.

Spokavegas
11-09-2010, 12:09 PM
How about the people going on that ship in the next two weeks?! :sad1:

Our friends are scheduled to leave on the Splendor on Nov. 21st....and WE WERE GOING TO GO WITH THEM!!!

Thank goodness we came to our senses and spent our $3700 on a Disney cruise in January instead- just booked a GTY room last night!!

Wonder how soon they'll get things back up and running.....surely they won't have it back out THIS weekend? Scary!

dursin
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I misunderstood/miscalculated. I guess that's fair compensation...sucks though for someone who's burned all their vacation and can't easily reschedule.

CruznLexi
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
The Splendour is just 2 years old!

CandyMandy
11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Just to keep things in objective context here, there has been a fire emergency on DCL too.

On March 15, 2002, at 4:30 in the morning while 200 miles out at sea north of Puerto Rico a large, serious fire broke out on the smokestack of the Disney Magic. A general alarm was sounded and all passengers had to evacuate their cabins immediately and head for their muster stations.

Afterwards, each party was given a $100 credit in acknowledgment of the "dispruption."

My family and I sailed on the Magic the following week and got nothing, even though the Mickey slide was closed for half the cruise and the ugly scars and repair clamor (pics below) of the event loomed above everyone all week.

http://www.tecenv.com/thompson/Disney/images/Disney_2002/Funnel_Fire_Damage/Scan688.jpg

http://www.tecenv.com/thompson/Disney/images/Disney_2002/Funnel_Fire_Damage/Scan724.jpg

justmestace
11-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Things happen....and there isn't a darn thing anyone can do about them. I think Carnival is doing the only thing they really can do, and it could happen to ANY cruise ship out there.

Remember the volcanic ash that threatened to ruin everyone's Med cruises and travel plans??? No one was to "blame" for that. People went crazy wanting to blame, wanting compensation, etc.....who was going to give it? Mother Nature? God?

This country has turned into something really sad. Everyone wants what's "fair". Everyone wants compensation when *hit happens. Everyone wants what the "other guy" has.
What a shame.:sad2::sad2::sad2:

justmestace
11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Just to keep things in objective context here, there has been a fire emergency on DCL too.

On March 15, 2002, at 4:30 in the morning while 200 miles out at sea north of Puerto Rico a large, serious fire broke out on the smokestack of the Disney Magic. A general alarm was sounded and all passengers had to evacuate their cabins immediately and head for their muster stations.

Afterwards, each party was given a $100 credit in acknowledgment of the "dispruption."

My family and I sailed on the Magic the following week and got nothing, even though the Mickey slide was closed for half the cruise and the ugly scars and repair clamor (pics below) of the event loomed above everyone all week.

I think it's pretty sad that DCL felt they had to give everyone $100. :sad2:
If you take a vacation anywhere other than on a cruise ship, and your plans go awry and you don't get to do EXACTLY what you wanted to do...then what???

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I think it's pretty sad that DCL felt they had to give everyone $100. :sad2:
If you take a vacation anywhere other than on a cruise ship, and your plans go awry and you don't get to do EXACTLY what you wanted to do...then what???

I think it's fair. If I were staying at a hotel and their fire alarm went off at 4:30 in the morning, forcing me to get out of bed and stand in the lobby in my jammy-jams (which did happen to me once), I would ask for some kind of compensation.

I'm guessing a lot of people spent that $100 on extra services, thus generating tips (spa, booze ... I would certainly need a massage or some extra booze if I were on that cruise).

If it were to happen during the day, I'm guessing nothing would have been offered.

Just my two cents. :hippie:

pxlbarrel
11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I think it's fair. If I were staying at a hotel and their fire alarm went off at 4:30 in the morning, forcing me to get out of bed and stand in the lobby in my jammy-jams (which did happen to me once), I would ask for some kind of compensation.

I'm guessing a lot of people spent that $100 on extra services, thus generating tips (spa, booze ... I would certainly need a massage or some extra booze if I were on that cruise).

If it were to happen during the day, I'm guessing nothing would have been offered.

Just my two cents. :hippie:

Hmmm....I've been in hotels multiple times when the fire alarm has gone off in the wee hours of the morning and I have NEVER thought of asking for compensation. And yes, we were standing outside in the cold a few times. I'm just glad that their alarms work.

Not sure how i'd react during a cruise but it's never even been a consideration for something like a fire alarm.

justmestace
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Hmmm....I've been in hotels multiple times when the fire alarm has gone off in the wee hours of the morning and I have NEVER thought of asking for compensation. And yes, we were standing outside in the cold a few times. I'm just glad that their alarms work.

Not sure how i'd react during a cruise but it's never even been a consideration for something like a fire alarm.

Happened to us once in Las Vegas. There was NO WAY they were going to compensate every single guest, and the thought didn't even cross my mind. I was just grateful that it wasn't bad, and we weren't harmed.

Which makes my earlier point make even more sense.....so many people wanting to be compensated for things that are bound to happen at one point or another to everyone.

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I guess I'm just cheap! :goodvibes

sayhello
11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Things happen....and there isn't a darn thing anyone can do about them. I think Carnival is doing the only thing they really can do, and it could happen to ANY cruise ship out there.

Remember the volcanic ash that threatened to ruin everyone's Med cruises and travel plans??? No one was to "blame" for that. People went crazy wanting to blame, wanting compensation, etc.....who was going to give it? Mother Nature? God?

This country has turned into something really sad. Everyone wants what's "fair". Everyone wants compensation when *hit happens. Everyone wants what the "other guy" has.
What a shame.:sad2::sad2::sad2:I agree with you about this in general. But, to be fair, we don't know yet what caused the fire. Perhaps Carnival knows that it was caused by neglect on their part, or the actions of an employee. Just saying.

Also, Carnival has decided themselves to terminate the cruise rather than continue on with the cruise (power has been restored) so I do think they owe the passengers *some* sort of compensation (although full refunds of the fare & travel costs seems adequate to me). If a hotel caught on fire, you could, theoretically, move to another hotel, and still have your vacation. That's not happening with a cruise.

Sayhello

Spokavegas
11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Regardless of compensation.....I think we can all feel badly for the people on board, as well as those planning to embark this weekend. Which leads me back to my previous post: when do you guys think (from knowledge of previous incidents) the Splendor will go back out? We have friends planning to board on Nov 21st- will it be fine by then I wonder?:confused3

justmestace
11-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree with you about this in general. But, to be fair, we don't know yet what caused the fire. Perhaps Carnival knows that it was caused by neglect on their part, or the actions of an employee. Just saying.

Also, Carnival has decided themselves to terminate the cruise rather than continue on with the cruise (power has been restored) so I do think they owe the passengers *some* sort of compensation (although full refunds of the fare & travel costs seems adequate to me). If a hotel caught on fire, you could, theoretically, move to another hotel, and still have your vacation. That's not happening with a cruise.

Sayhello

Okay...I wasn't clear I guess. Definitely, these people deserve a cruise. And yes, it would be a pain to have to reschedule vacation time, but I do think that transportation and another cruise are adequate....perhaps a nice OBC for their next cruise.
But for anyone to say that's not good enough, and that it's not fair to only be "reimbursed" ....that passengers should be handed the money up-front or whatever.....that's just not always possible.....just like the whole thing with the volcanic ash. TONS of people were stranded then....with no one to give them compensation. Sometimes we just need to learn to deal.

justmestace
11-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Regardless of compensation.....I think we can all feel badly for the people on board, as well as those planning to embark this weekend. Which leads me back to my previous post: when do you guys think (from knowledge of previous incidents) the Splendor will go back out? We have friends planning to board on Nov 21st- will it be fine by then I wonder?:confused3

Not knowing the extent of the damage, it's hard to say. That might be pushing it.
There should be some info coming soon on Carnival's website....and the travel agents should know within the next few days.

justmestace
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM

I was just thinking about this. Shouldn't everyone who travels have either enough cash, traveler's checks, or credit on their credit cards, to handle any emergency that comes along?

sayhello
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM
OK, I have to say, the more I read, the worse this gets for the poor passengers (and the crew!). Here's a British article from today which states they don't expect the Splendor to reach shore until *tomorrow (Wednesday) night*!!!! On a ship with no hot water (can we say no showers/baths for 4000+ people!), no A/C and no hot food. I imagine there's minimal lights, relatively little entertainment, too. They were without flushing toilets or running water for much of yesterday (they managed to get the toilets & cold water going with auxilliary power. The main power is still out.) The fire was in the engine room.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1328162/British-passengers-stranded-board-Carnival-Splendor-cruise-ship-engine-room-blaze.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The ship is being towed to Ensenada, and the passengers then all bussed back to Long Beach. So a lack of passports should not be an issue.

I'd say they've definitely earned the compensation Carnival is offering!

Once the passengers are dropped off in Ensenada, the Splendor will be towed back to Long Beach, which could take days. My guess would be she won't be ready for a cruise by the 21st, but that's a question better answered by Carnival!

Sayhello

Spokavegas
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
My friend just got off the phone with Carnival---and the cruise on the Splendor is still scheduled to sail as scheduled......but we shall see! They may be just not waiting to panic people!

Macavity
11-09-2010, 02:32 PM
My friend just got off the phone with Carnival---and the cruise on the Splendor is still scheduled to sail as scheduled......but we shall see! They may be just not waiting to panic people!

I was listening to the news on my way into work this morning, and they said that Carnival is retiring the Splendor. Have not read that anywhere, but that is what the news was reporting.

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm sure they will have to wait until the ship is docked back in Long Beach, before they can assess the true extent of the damage.

got2travel
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
My coworker just got of the Splendor on Sunday. She hadn't heard the news so I sent her to Google. She's offhandedly joking that maybe she should have scheduled for this week so she could have gotten a free trip out of it.

Seriously, glad that no one was hurt. I'm sure conditions are not that great on the boat right now but it sounds like what Carnival is offering is more than fair.

sayhello
11-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I was listening to the on the news into work this morning, and they said that Crnival is retiring the Splendor. Have not read that anywhere, but that is what the news was reporting.The Splendor is only 2 years old! I find that very hard to believe. I can't imagine that the damage is so severe that they'd retire a 2-year-old, $697 million ship, rather than at least attempt repair it. As Mindyjoy said, I'm sure they can't even evaluate the damage until it's back in Long Beach.

Sayhello

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 03:03 PM
The Splendor is only 2 years old! I find that very hard to believe. I can't imagine that the damage is so severe that they'd retire a 2-year-old, $697 million ship, rather than at least attempt repair it. As Mindyjoy said, I'm sure they can't even evaluate the damage until it's back in Long Beach.

Sayhello

Severe enough would be an irreparable Diesel generator. If one of those is done, the ship probably is. You've seen from all the construction pictures of the Dream with these modular built ships. They set the engines in place and build the hull up around it. Short of cutting massive sections of the hull apart that engine is part of the ship permanently, and the costs involved probably make it prohibitive to attempt it over building another.

maria-fan-22
11-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Same here, we've been at hotels, movie theatres, you name it. When other people would ask about what was happening they only say, "we are just evacuating for you safety. Their job is to do all possible to keep us safe, which if that requires us to wake up and go out side or anything, they are doing their job and no compensation should be necessary. The only time i see where compensation should be when a service that has been paid for is not rendered. pirate:

Soccermom-Cheri
11-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Their are two words I never want to hear on a cruiseship- Bravo, Bravo. I feel bad for the folks on that cruise. Nothing like being all excited about going on vacation and then not getting to go. :( Poor Carnival, this kind of thing always seems to happen to them and I heard this ship was in dry dock not to long ago. Well, I am glad to hear they are getting the ship back into port and that they are compensating these folks as well as they are. :)
July 2008 we were awaken by "Red Party! Red Party! Report to lifeboat station X" - on our b2b Wonder cruise. Scary scary scary

The problem is there is no Air conditioner running and no hot food. The sooner the ship gets towed to the port, the better.

San Diego radio is reporting that the generators are down - so does that mean there is no electricity? I can see shutting off A/C but all of the lights?:scared1:

sayhello
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
San Diego radio is reporting that the generators are down - so does that mean there is no electricity? I can see shutting off A/C but all of the lights?:scared1:They have auxilliary generators, so I imagine there are *some* lights, but fully lighting the entire ship would likely take way more power than those auxilliary generators could produce.

Sayhello

TheDisneyGirl02
11-09-2010, 03:29 PM
July 2008 we were awaken by "Red Party! Red Party! Report to lifeboat station X" - on our b2b Wonder cruise. Scary scary scary

What does "Red Party"? mean on a cruise ship...whatever it means, it doesn't sound good! :eek:

Soccermom-Cheri
11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
someone told me that it stand for FIRE. Kinda makes sense.

TheDisneyGirl02
11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
someone told me that it stand for FIRE. Kinda makes sense.

How scary!

over50visits
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Life happens, though...I think Carnival offering to take the entire loss is more than reasonable, even paying for the cruise up to that point. I feel sorry for the Carnival personnel who will have to deal with a handful of some pretty demanding people.

tvguy
11-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Severe enough would be an irreparable Diesel generator. If one of those is done, the ship probably is. You've seen from all the construction pictures of the Dream with these modular built ships. They set the engines in place and build the hull up around it. Short of cutting massive sections of the hull apart that engine is part of the ship permanently, and the costs involved probably make it prohibitive to attempt it over building another.

Ships routinely get new engines/generators during longer dry docks, so that shouldn't be a problem. According to the Carnival website the Splender has 6, so I suspect it's just a matter of repairing damaged wiring. As someone else pointed out, so far it has had no impact on future cruises.

Tonka's Skipper
11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Its almost for sure.....Carnival will have had long talks with the vessel Chief Engineer. There will be shore engineers, repair crews and supplies on the dock in emsemde (spl?)ready to braod on arrival:rolleyes1

Anything else will be pre fabucated and ready in a ship yard for when the vessel docks in Long Beach.

Whether she will be ready for her Nov 21st cruise depends how bad the damages are!:scared1:

Before she will be allowed to carry passingers again she will have many surveyors and inspectors checking her out and will need the ok of her classification, underwriters and USCG.

AKK

IbeAbitGOOFY
11-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Having worked in the modern (large) ship repair industry for a number of years, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the generators CAN and will be repaired. It is done all the time. Its not easy nor will it be cheap, but its also not worth scrapping almost $700M investment.

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Having worked in the modern (large) ship repair industry for a number of years, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the generators CAN and will be repaired. It is done all the time. It’s not easy nor will it be cheap, but it’s also not worth scrapping almost $700M investment.

I did not say repair, read on. :)

Ships routinely get new engines/generators during longer dry docks, so that shouldn't be a problem. According to the Carnival website the Splender has 6, so I suspect it's just a matter of repairing damaged wiring. As someone else pointed out, so far it has had no impact on future cruises.

They get rebuilds and overhauls, yes. They can replace most of the internal moving parts, cylinders, pistons, valves, etc. In fact that was done to one of the engines while the ship was in service on the Wonder three years ago when one of hers failed. On the modern modularly built cruise ship they cannot replace the entire diesel generating unit once it's inside the hull, it becomes a physical impossibility as the ship is built over it. Other types of ships leave provisional access to be able to do it, but not the modern cruiseliners.

Have a look for yourself.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/07/starting-the-disney-dream-engines/

Now can something catastrophic enough happen to irreparably damage an engine that positively massive? I will even say the possibility is very low, but it is there.

And I agree all is conjecture until the ship hits port and they really inspect the damage.

dursin
11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Life happens, though...I think Carnival offering to take the entire loss is more than reasonable, even paying for the cruise up to that point. I feel sorry for the Carnival personnel who will have to deal with a handful of some pretty demanding people.
The ship departed Sunday evening and the fire occurred at 6am on Monday morning. Don't think that "paying for the cruise up to that point" is particularly generous.

Malaguti Ball Clan
11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Although I wouldn't want to have to to it, it is possible to replace the entire system, step one....drydock, step two, cut extremely large hole in side of ship...............

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3561/Overview

Having spent alot of time at sea this one was much better to watch on HD then to have to live though.

Fire at sea is soooooo dangerous, thankfully everyone is safe.

I did not say repair, read on. :)

They get rebuilds and overhauls, yes. They can replace most of the internal moving parts, cylinders, pistons, valves, etc. In fact that was done to one of the engines while the ship was in service on the Wonder three years ago when one of hers failed. On the modern modularly built cruise ship they cannot replace the entire diesel generating unit once it's inside the hull, it becomes a physical impossibility as the ship is built over it. Other types of ships leave provisional access to be able to do it, but not the modern cruiseliners.

Have a look for yourself.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/07/starting-the-disney-dream-engines/

Now can something catastrophic enough happen to irreparably damage an engine that positively massive? I will even say the possibility is very low, but it is there.

And I agree all is conjecture until the ship hits port and they really inspect the damage.

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Although I wouldn't want to have to to it, it is possible to replace the entire system, step one....drydock, step two, cut extremely large hole in side of ship...............

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes/3561/Overview

Having spent alot of time at sea this one was much better to watch on HD then to have to live though.

Fire at sea is soooooo dangerous, thankfully everyone is safe.

As am I glad it was nothing more than inconvenient for the passengers. :)

Ok, so not completely impossible.

And I was going from a point of view that they will do everything they can to just repair it.

But still there are possibilities of damage in a way where they may be better doing something radical than a direct fix. As has been said over and over, we don't know what the damage is.

The best possibility is it could be as simple as some kind of power distribution failure.

The worst possibility is something far more radical than even what RCI's ship had done to it. Why was RCI's engine replaced? We don't know that either. We don't know if the Carnival ship's construction would allow something as simple as just cutting a large hole and sliding it out the side. It could be an inboard engine failure.

We simply don't know enough to rule anything out, which is the point I was trying to make.

And I never said they'd just throw away all the investment in it. It IS only 2 years old. If it was a failure that doomed the engineering section, its sure a possibility they could do something like build just that section and 'modular' it back in to the rest of the hull. They've already stretched a cruise ship by adding an entirely new middle section.

Stephieann
11-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Kind of off topic but i got a phone call today from Carnival about military discounts they are offering.....had thought about booking but now not sure...i guess this could have happened on any cruise line

sayhello
11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Kind of off topic but i got a phone call today from Carnival about military discounts they are offering.....had thought about booking but now not sure...i guess this could have happened on any cruise lineIf you don't book a cruise because *one* ship from a cruiseline has a problem, then you may as well never cruise again. All cruiselines have issues. I wouldn't let this stop you. I might skip booking the Nov 21, 2010 sailing of the Splendor, but other than that... :confused3

Sayhello

justmestace
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
The ship departed Sunday evening and the fire occurred at 6am on Monday morning. Don't think that "paying for the cruise up to that point" is particularly generous.

Guests will get refunds, reimbursement for transportation costs and a free future cruise of equal value, the cruise line said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1328162/British-passengers-stranded-board-Carnival-Splendor-cruise-ship-engine-room-blaze.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz14pS2Ut3P

Sounds pretty good to me, even though everyone's vacation was ruined.
If I interpret this correctly, not only are they getting REFUNDED, but they are also getting ANOTHER cruise free....plus their transportation costs.
What more could the cruise line do?:confused3

discorsner
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I was just thinking about this. Shouldn't everyone who travels have either enough cash, traveler's checks, or credit on their credit cards, to handle any emergency that comes along?

Theoretically, yes. :confused3

However, I know of some of times we have vacationed, especially when we were younger before kids where we may have not had that much extra with us. :rolleyes1

We always have an emergency fund and travel insurance but you never know how much you may need I guess.

KSDisneyDad
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Guests will get refunds, reimbursement for transportation costs and a free future cruise of equal value, the cruise line said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1328162/British-passengers-stranded-board-Carnival-Splendor-cruise-ship-engine-room-blaze.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz14pS2Ut3P

If I interpret this correctly, not only are they getting REFUNDED, but they are also getting ANOTHER cruise free....plus their transportation costs.

I agree that this is both very generous and a good PR move for Carnival to help try to make lemonade out of lemons. They obviously did not want this to happen.

When I first found out about this incident, my first thought was to feel for those onboard and be thankful that no one was seriously injured. My second thought was "I sure would hate to be someone without trip insurance". It looks like Carnival is helping everyone regardless of whether or not they had trip insurance. Again, that's quite generous given the situation IMHO.

OrangeCountyCommuter
11-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Kind of off topic but i got a phone call today from Carnival about military discounts they are offering.....had thought about booking but now not sure...i guess this could have happened on any cruise line

Happened years ago to my Grandparents... On a TOP of the line cruise ship. (Literally $10,000 cruises)

If you don't go because "this happened" then... you don't go anywhere. Life has risks.

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Well the passengers may not come out of this totally unharmed...

No one was hurt and, by Tuesday, U.S. Navy (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/unrest-conflicts-war/defense/u.s.-navy-ORGOV0000126141144.topic) helicopters were ferrying 70,000 pounds of supplies, including the crab meat, croissants, Pop Tarts, Spam and other items, to the stricken ship.

That sounds like a... unique food combination. ;)

cats mom
11-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Well the passengers may not come out of this totally unharmed...

That sounds like a... unique food combination. ;)

So maybe pop tarts for breakfast, sliced spam for lunch, and crab meat on croissants for dinner?
Not exactly expected cruise ship fare. :rotfl:

I'm just glad there were no injuries reported.

tvguy
11-09-2010, 07:28 PM
So maybe pop tarts for breakfast, sliced spam for lunch, and crab meat on croissants for dinner?
Not exactly expected cruise ship fare. :rotfl:

I'm just glad there were no injuries reported.

Hey, the U.S. military is brining the food ask anyone who as been in the military, pop tars, spam and crab meat is living high .....and I'm dead serious.
My dad served in World War II, and until the day he died, he viewed Spam as the ultimate comfort food because, when he was in Europe, when he was somewhere where they had Spam, and not packaged rations, he was somewhere safe, where he was being shot at.

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey, the U.S. military is brining the food ask anyone who as been in the military, pop tars, spam and crab meat is living high .....and I'm dead serious.
My dad served in World War II, and until the day he died, he viewed Spam as the ultimate comfort food because, when he was in Europe, when he was somewhere where they had Spam, and not packaged rations, he was somewhere safe, where he was being shot at.

Two of my favorite meals are in Hawaii.

A Big Breakfast at McD's, which is composed of eggs, rice, Spam, and a slice of pineapple. :thumbsup2

And lunch from Zippy's, which in most combinations includes Spam. :)

I can completely understand your dad's viewpoint.

I do doubt the people who sailed on that ship went in with the expectations of that... food group?

dursin
11-09-2010, 08:08 PM

I know what the compensation is....I was just referring to that particular aspect of it.

insureman
11-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Beats MRE's

justmestace
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM

I know what the compensation is....I was just referring to that particular aspect of it.

What I was referring to, was that you'd said "paying for the cruise to that point" wasn't generous or enough compensation, so I was pointing out what their compensation was going to be.....more than what you'd thought it was.

dursin
11-09-2010, 08:31 PM
What I was referring to, was that you'd said "paying for the cruise to that point" wasn't generous or enough compensation, so I was pointing out what their compensation was going to be.....more than what you'd thought it was.
...and I was pointing out that it was NOT more than what I thought it was...I was just referring to the single aspect of paying for the current cruise up until that point. You quote my previous posts, but conveniently omit the second post in this thread!

Scotty69
11-09-2010, 08:49 PM
I think everyone has lost sight so far. I thin k everyone has to say a prayer for all of those people tonight when they go to bed. They are still not out of harms way. And we all need to thank god that no one was seriously hurt. They are in better shape now than what they where 24 hours ago but they are still not out of the woods yet

Cooksonmom
11-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I think everyone has lost sight so far. I thin k everyone has to say a prayer for all of those people tonight when they go to bed. They are still not out of harms way. And we all need to thank god that no one was seriously hurt. They are in better shape now than what they where 24 hours ago but they are still not out of the woods yet

:thumbsup2

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I just heard on the news that the first rescue tugboat has reached the ship (to start pulling the ship back to Mexico). :cheer2:

llkoolj40
11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
The ship will now be pulled back to San Diego, according to AP.The logistics of getting 90 buses across the border may have been quite the feat.

justmestace
11-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Scary, but sounds like nobody was hurt and Carnival seems to be compensating the guests well (ie, full refund on this cruise, reimbursement of travel costs and a complimentary future cruise).

...and I was pointing out that it was NOT more than what I thought it was...I was just referring to the single aspect of paying for the current cruise up until that point. You quote my previous posts, but conveniently omit the second post in this thread!

Okay...so....first you said they were getting a full refund.....then you said it wasn't enough......then you inferred that Carnival was only paying people (refunding) for the first two days they were on the cruise.....

Again....all I did was point out what we've heard they really WERE getting....and according to your posts, it was either a lot, not nearly enough, or only a portion of what you would find acceptable.

Going by the first quote I did, you were saying that they were only being refunded for a portion of their cruise, and I corrected that particular post.
No big deal.

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
The ship will now be pulled back to San Diego, according to AP.The logistics of getting 90 buses across the border may have been quite the feat.

Now that IS good news. I've never lost sight of that, was concerned how they were going to get everyone safely home, and that solves it. :thumbsup2

justmestace
11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Now that IS good news. I've never lost sight of that, was concerned how they were going to get everyone safely home, and that solves it. :thumbsup2

When you said something about the Coast Guard coming in with helicopters, I thought you were going to say that they were going to airlift the passengers out!!
:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

New excursion.....Extreme Zipline/Parasail Combo

MarkRG
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
When you said something about the Coast Guard coming in with helicopters, I thought you were going to say that they were going to airlift the passengers out!!
:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

New excursion.....Extreme Zipline/Parasail Combo

Now that really sounds like your kind of excursion.

Mmketeer
11-09-2010, 10:21 PM

San Diego radio is reporting that the generators are down - so does that mean there is no electricity? I can see shutting off A/C but all of the lights?:scared1:

Oh goodness that would be scary! You know that means that they were being told to report that station for the next orders because their was an emergency. It sounds like though since you didn't mention anything else that whatever it was they were able to take care of it. :) Thank goodness.

I know it must suck onboard that Carnival ship right now, but I did hear they finally got cold water and the toliets working in the cabins. Gosh, I guess the people with balconies are glad they got those now, cause at least they can get an ocean breeze of some sort. I sure hope I would be able to make the best of it and just consider it camping, but onboard a ship.

justmestace
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
http://f.chtah.com/i/23/982238741/Header_CTA_CarnivalLogo_Blue.gif (http://carnivalfunmail.com/a/hBM2cJXA6i8YVB8VoJQNDsC7SiR/cclogo)
http://f.chtah.com/i/23/982238741/Header_TopRight_Blue.gif http://f.chtah.com/i/23/982238741/urgent_notice.gif IMPORTANT CANCELLATION NOTICE
CARNIVAL SPLENDOR - NOVEMBER 14, 2010
November 9, 2010

Dear Carnival Guest:
The Carnival Splendor experienced a fire in the engine room on the sailing that departed Sunday, November 7, 2010. The fire was extinguished and there were no injuries to our guests or crew. As a result of the fire, we must cancel the November 14, 2010 voyage in order for necessary repairs to be completed. We know how much you were looking forward to sailing with us and we sincerely apologize for this disruption to your vacation plans.

We recognize that vacations are important and our team is standing by to help you find another Carnival cruise that works with your schedule.

Here are your options:

Reschedule immediately on another voyage - we have a wide variety of options for you.
Cancel and have us hold your payment for any future Carnival cruise departing within 24 months.
Cancel and receive a full refund, inclusive of Carnival's air supplement, optional land packages, Vacation Protection Plan and government fees and taxes. No further action on your part is necessary, as refunds will automatically be processed in three weeks.

In addition, we will provide you with a 25% discount on any future 2-7 day Carnival cruise.

If you purchased independent air transportation and need to make changes to accommodate a new departure, we will reimburse up to $200 per person (via a refundable on board credit) for airline change fees so long as documentation is provided. If you purchased non-refundable independent air and are unable to reschedule your cruise, please send documentation regarding your airline expenses to our Guest Admin Department, fax# 305-406-6477 so that we may refund the cost of your ticket.

We request you contact our Guest Services Department at 1-800-CARNIVAL or your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent with your preference as soon as possible.

Again, we apologize for the cancellation of this cruise. We would love the opportunity to welcome you on another Carnival ship.
Sincerely,
Vicky Rey, CTC
Vice President - Guest Services

This is the notice that cruisers on the November 14 cruise received.
The general attitude is that most people reporting in are okay with it....some can't change vacation times.

No word yet for the November 21 cruise.

A few have commented that being on the Nov 7 "disaster" cruise would be quite the experience to be able to talk about for years to come. You'd need a really good attitude to feel that way about it.:thumbsup2

justmestace
11-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Now that really sounds like your kind of excursion.

I'd be up-chucking my Spam!!! :crazy2:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

MousseauMob
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Just my two cents. :hippie:Gee, I wouldn't even have thought of it. We had this happen at Disneyland PP, and no compensation was offered or requested.

Our 09/2010 HAL Alaska cruise, our first full day at sea we had the fire alarms going off, announcements from the captain and officers every 10 to 15 minutes about a fire they were fighting. Luckily they got things under control and we didn't need to report to lifeboat stations, but it was a scary 40 minutes. Oddly enough, the fire was in the incinerator. Call me crazy, but I thought a fire was normal in an incinerator. :lmao:

PearlySwan
11-10-2010, 06:16 AM
This is very sad!

"(CNN) -- A crippled cruise ship stranded off the coast of Mexico with nearly 4,500 people onboard got some additional help for its journey toward San Diego, California, on Wednesday morning.

A second tugboat joined in the effort to tow the Carnival Splendor to land late Tuesday night, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Rachel Polish said.

A third tugboat was also assisting in the escort, she said.

The Splendor had been stranded about 130 miles west of Ensenada, Mexico, on Tuesday, a day after it lost power following an engine-room fire, Carnival Cruise Lines said in a statement. The ship has almost 3,300 passengers and about 1,200 crew members onboard."

Story continues...

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/10/cruise.ship/?hpt=T2

mmouse37
11-10-2010, 06:48 AM
This is very sad!

"(CNN) -- A crippled cruise ship stranded off the coast of Mexico with nearly 4,500 people onboard got some additional help for its journey toward San Diego, California, on Wednesday morning.

A second tugboat joined in the effort to tow the Carnival Splendor to land late Tuesday night, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Rachel Polish said.

A third tugboat was also assisting in the escort, she said.

The Splendor had been stranded about 130 miles west of Ensenada, Mexico, on Tuesday, a day after it lost power following an engine-room fire, Carnival Cruise Lines said in a statement. The ship has almost 3,300 passengers and about 1,200 crew members onboard."

Story continues...

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/10/cruise.ship/?hpt=T2

Yes, there is already a lengthy thread on this topic.

MJ

PearlySwan
11-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Sorry MJ Didn't see it! Please delete or merge! Thanks!

mmouse37
11-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Sorry MJ Didn't see it! Please delete or merge! Thanks!

I will merge with the other thread!!

MJ

wuv tigger
11-10-2010, 07:54 AM
So GLAD to hear there were NO injuries to any cruise staff or passengers. :thumbsup2

It's got to be rough with NO HOT showers :scared1: and NO hot food.

My kids & I would be journaling our "adventure" and trying not to let ourselves become "Negative Nellies". Although that would be hard to do ...

What a story the families will be able to tell others.

CandyMandy
11-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Ah, la dolce vita...after taking a cold shower, this is what the passengers have to look forward to for breakfast: :scared1:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/retroflections/files/2009/07/spam.jpg

"U.S. Navy Seahawk helicopters were ferrying supplies, including Spam, to the ship from the USS Ronald Reagan, an aircraft carrier that reached the Splendor after it was diverted from training maneuvers to help."

CaptainScott
11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

They Drydock it and cut into the hull that is not big deal It it done all the time on ships

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Ah, la dolce vita...after taking a cold shower, this is what the passengers have to look forward to for breakfast: :scared1:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/retroflections/files/2009/07/spam.jpg

"U.S. Navy Seahawk helicopters were ferrying supplies, including Spam, to the ship from the USS Ronald Reagan, an aircraft carrier that reached the Splendor after it was diverted from training maneuvers to help."

Spam ain't that awful cooked but cold? Ewww. Maybe someone on the ship or on one of the rescue vessels is from Hawai'i and could recommend some palatable receipes. :lmao:

CWO4DVC
11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock. The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore. Wikipedia

wuv tigger
11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
that the USS Reagan's helicopters and the US Coast Guard helicopters have made "deliveries" to the vessel/cruise ship.

I'm praying for all the folks on this cruise :grouphug: they need a big ole group hug

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I bet there are more food choices now that the USS Reagan's helicopters and the US Coast Guard helicopters have made "deliveries" to the vessel/cruise ship.

I'm praying for all the folks on this cruise :grouphug: they need a big ole group hug

Unfortunately, with no refrigeration, no hot water and no power to cook, the options are very limited as to what they can deliver and serve. They could try airlifting in MRE's since the warming is done chemically and is pretty safe.

Bet it's fun trying to get all that food distributed in an orderly fashion to hungry guests. Might have to send in the Marines. :lmao:

CandyMandy
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
From a well-known cruise board, posted earlier today:

Originally Posted by ******

I just received a call from my wife who is on the ship. She said "This is a cruise from HELL!"

She said there is no light in her cabin, toilet only got restored yesterday and stinks beyond belief. People are hoarding food, taking platefuls.

The one tug that was pulling them just lost an engine, so they are going even slower.

She had no idea that we knew everything that was going on regarding the USS Reagan, tugs, etc.

I would have asked more but she needs to conserve her cell battery because there is no where to plug in for power.

Also, on the same board some people with access to marine radar are saying the ship is no longer heading towards San Diego, but is turned towards Ensenada, Mexico. To confuse things further, on official port arrival/departure lists the destination for the Splendor was updated this morning to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. For those not familar with that port (I've been there) it's a relatively small backwater that isn't near anything and will be a long, long haul by bus to anywhere (nearest commercial airport with scheduled flights to U.S. is 3+ hours away).

WDWisTheBest
11-10-2010, 11:19 AM
From a well-known cruise board, posted earlier today:

Originally Posted by ******

I just received a call from my wife who is on the ship. She said "This is a cruise from HELL!"

She said there is no light in her cabin, toilet only got restored yesterday and stinks beyond belief. People are hoarding food, taking platefuls.

The one tug that was pulling them just lost an engine, so they are going even slower.

She had no idea that we knew everything that was going on regarding the USS Reagan, tugs, etc.

I would have asked more but she needs to conserve her cell battery because there is no where to plug in for power.

Thank goodness for the Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier.

mortman05
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM
What would you do if you were disabled and in a wheelchair. Are you stuck on the floor you were on when the power went out. I cannot imagine generator power can be used for elevators?
I have to say that this now scares the heck out of me! We are going on our first cruise in December on the Wonder with two boys in wheelchairs!

CandyMandy
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Pictures the U.S. Navy has provided of the "provisoning/security operation" for the Splendor:

Loading food supplies for the Splendor in San Diego for transfer to the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan, for subsequent airlift to the Splendor:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/slideshows/Carnival-Splendor-Fire-5.jpg

A Navy Sea Hawk heavy lift helicopter taking off from the Reagan with a load of supplies for the Splendor:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/slideshows/Carnival-Splendor-Fire-7.jpg

A helicopter approaching the Splendor with supplies:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/slideshows/Carnival-Splendor-Fire-8.jpg

U.S. Sailors aboard the Splendor unloading delivered supplies:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/slideshows/Carnival-Splendor-Fire-13.jpg

A Mexican Navy Vessel alongside the Splendor. It, the Reagan and a U.S. Coast Guard cutter are standing 24/7 vigil along the ship. From a security perspective, a powerless civilian vessel with almost 4,000 Americans aboard is unfortunately a potentially tempting target, so this military presence is not just for humanitarian reasons.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/slideshows/Carnival-Splendor-Fire-16.jpg

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
They were always going to bring the splender into a port in Enamada (spl?) and bus the folks back to the states..........It is reported many buses are already heading to or at the port.

After eveyone of the passengers are off, they will tow her to San Deiago or long beach.

AKK

justmestace
11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I wonder if they didn't tell the passengers that they were going to Ensenada?

What a sad, sorry mess!

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Carnival is now saying they are going to try to go straight to San Diego. Depending on how the tow progresses, they may still go ahead and take her to Ensenada.

WilliamK99
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I wonder if Carnival is handing out free booze to keep everyone mellow?

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I wonder if Carnival is handing out free booze to keep everyone mellow?

Given that tensions onboard are probably extremely high right now, I doubt they would. Alcohol does not mellow everybody...some get extremely aggressive under its influence. It seems like it would be adding fuel to the fire so to speak.

CandyMandy
11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
They were always going to bring the splender into a port in Enamada (spl?) and bus the folks back to the states

No, Carnival shifted gears yesterday and said the tugs were going to take the ship to San Diego instead. And that is still what they are saying on their official website:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/static_templates/travel_advisory.aspx

The fact the Splendor tow is actually now heading for Mexico instead of San Diego only came out when some maritime expert types following this story noticed that late starting last night maritime radar showed it turning from a northern to an eastern heading. It has nothing to do with any previously announced "plan" much less any official update from Carnival, the U.S. Government or the mainstream media.

And as I mentioned earlier, to complicate things even more port arrival databases now say the Splendor is scheduled to dock in Puerto Vallarta, not Ensanada.

My bottom line suspicion: the tow is turning out to be slower and more complicated than expected and the "triage" situation on the ship is deterioriating. As evidence of the latter, a TV station in Denver got a cell phone call from one of their staff who is on "vacation" aboard the ship. His highlights?

- Lines for food (uncooked Spam, cold Pop tarts) are 2+ hours long.
- The passenger population has quickly divided into those in balcony vs. non balcony cabins. The former are in much better emotional shape than the latter (balcony = some light in cabin and hence some privacy, vs. refugees from completely dark interior cabins who are now up on deck as 24/7 homeless people)
- Huge numbers of passengers aboard are already saying this is the last time they will ever cruise.

So Carnival is now simply looking to get that ship to the closest port ASAP.

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Candy...you are totally correct..the site does say San Diego!

My Error!

Now I was a ship deck officer *mate* for 9 years.... Carnivals 1st responsiblity is to get those passingers off that ship as soon a safely possible...that neams the 1 st port able to handle the ship!.not San Diego..........towing a ship of her size is a slow going thing (1 t0 4 knots as best, at least 1 additional day)............any number of other problems could happen! More ship systems failing , weather, etc.

I am amazed the USGC would let them try for San diego and not the 1st safe port............that shows a total lack of concern for the passingers and interest only saving some money!

AKK

CandyMandy
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Recent position and heading. At this speed (about 8 mph) it's going to take a long time to get anywhere!

http://photos.cruisecritic.com/data/518/Untitled1.jpg

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Ap just put out a notice the ship is still heading for San Deigo..because the passengers are more *comfortable* on the ship, then geting off the ship last night and /or today and being bused to Long beach.

Where can any reasonable person make that statement!......more comfortable living in a damp dark rocking and rolling vessel, with very limited toilets working....no hot water....waiting on line 2 hours for cold food, that the line didnt even provide,the US Taxpayers have!........dam that is just this side of criminal!

I was fully understanding of the problems the ship and line were facing........its part of running a cruise line...but this is a knuckle headed thing to do going to San Deigo

We all better say a prayer or 2 hoping nothing else goes wrong, especailly the weather......nothing is more dangerous then a basicly dead ship, to heavy ship, in heavy seas!

I just cancaled a Bermuda cruise we had (with Carnival, we dont give a dam about our passingers line)for next spring.........rebooking with RCCL!

AKK

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Ap just put out a notice the ship is still heading for San Deigo..because the passengers are more *comfortable* on the ship, then geting off the ship last night and /or today and being bused to Long beach.

Where can any reasonable person make that statement!......more comfortable living in a damp dark rocking and rolling vessel, with very limited toilets working....no hot water....waiting on line 2 hours for cold food, that the line didnt even provide,the US Taxpayers have!........dam that is just this side of criminal!

I was fully understanding of the problems the ship and line were facing........its part of running a cruise line...but this is a knuckle headed thing to do going to San Diego

We all better say a prayer or 2 hoping nothing else goes wrong, especailly the weather......nothing is more dangerous then a basicly dead ship, to heavy ship, in heavy seas!

I just cancaled a Bermuda cruise we had (with Carnival, we dont give a dam about our passingers line)for next spring.........rebooking with RCCL!

AKK

Since they have more of the power working, the quality of life on the ship has gone up. And as for taking the ship back to san diego or ensanada, How would you like to be taken off of a ship and put on smaller bus to be bused back to long beach california? With everything Carnival is doing for their passengers, I can't believe that you think that they don't do anything. Having a fire on a ship and loosing power is a disaster and no one can be fully prepared. We should all be glad that all the passengers are OK and NOT be passing blame! pirate:

WilliamK99
11-10-2010, 02:43 PM

I was fully understanding of the problems the ship and line were facing........its part of running a cruise line...but this is a knuckle headed thing to do going to San Deigo

AKK

How would any other cruise line do anything differently? This looks to be a freak accident on a fairly new ship and could have happened on any cruise line even Disney....

Mindyjoy
11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Between the two choices, I would rather be on the ship than the bus. I would really be nervous about traveling through Tijuana on a bus. I think I would actually feel safer on the ship.

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
With all due respect.you have no idea what its like on a basicely dead ship.........only emergency lights, (that means a few light bulbs here and there and none in the cabins).....cold water.......limited toilets......a top heavy vessel rocking and rolling.........no ac......no heat....everything damp....crowded ....2 hour lines for some cold food?........and you feel thats better then a bus trip that you most likely would have already been on and off and in long beach already?.....

No I am sorry........you folks really have no idea of the issues.....there is one basic thing Carnivail should be dong.........getting the passingers off the ship as fast as possible.

As I said until I knew they were trying to get to SD under tow.I fully understood and did believe Carnivail was doing all they could.

Of course your fully free to go criuse with them .....enjoy and best wishes........but My family and I won't.......not after they pulled this fool stunt!

AKK

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
With all due respect.you have no idea what its like on a basicely dead ship.........only emergency lights, (that means a few light bulbs here and there and none in the cabins).....cold water.......limited toilets......a top heavy vessel rocking and rolling.........no ac......no heat....everything damp....crowded ....2 hour lines for some cold food?........and you feel thats better then a bus trip that you most likely would have already been on and off and in long beach already?.....

No I am sorry........you folks really have no idea of the issues.....there is one basic thing Carnivail should be dong.........getting the passingers off the ship as fast as possible.

As I said until I knew they were trying to get to SD under tow.I fully understood and did believe Carnivail was doing all they could.

Of course your fully free to go criuse with them .....enjoy and best wishes........but My family and I won't.......not after they pulled this fool stunt!

AKK

Have YOU ever been in this situation either???? I didn't think so. Have you ever gone through Mexican border towns on a bus either, again I didn't think so. As long as no one is dying, then they are in pretty good shape. Having all of this open space on the ship, IMHO, is much better than being stuck in a bus with a crying baby for three hours trying to get back to Long Beach. The fact that they have food at all is a good thing. They are still probobly getting more food than some people in Africa get. So you have no room to talk. pirate:

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 03:08 PM
There was another incident with Carnivial back in the early 1990's where the *ECSTACY* sailed from Miami and the stern caught fire with smoke blowing out the transom (back of the boat). It that case again no one was hurt, but the passingers found out about the fire watching the local TY news as she was still close to shore.:surfweb: The captian didnt feel it was time yet to sound the alarm and at least get folks to the stations.:confused3

But feel free to go with carnivial if you want.....

AKK

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
.......geee.have I?............lets see.9 years at sea...........2 ship fires at sea.........1 in the shipyard.......dead ship in the North Atlantic for 2 days until we got the generators up and boilers back on line............lost a rudder off a tanker, 200 mile from San Fransico in a fully laden tanker, waited and rocked and rolled 2 days awaiting tugs...........so the answer is yes I have!:rolleyes1

AKK

MickeyManiacMom
11-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe I'm just being dense here - but there is NO non-perishable food on that ship? Was the kitchen/food cargo hold also destroyed in the fire? Seems odd that they're all having to wait 2 hours for pop tarts and spam that the military is delivering.

I'm just thinking they were on board for a 7 day cruise - we all KNOW how much food they go through. Not all of it perishable with lack of refrigeration.

I feel for these people. I hope they get back to land as soon as safely possible. Hmm.. maybe once they get to California some of them can scrap together a last minute trip to Disney and salvage their vacation.

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
lets continue....the cargo ports around the Mexican coast..gee.....not at all as nice and the tourist stops like PV etc. but young lady if your still sure that a dead ship for 2 or 3 days is better then a 3 hour or so bus ride.....a baby or not.......*:confused3......I am speechless.....that just doesn't make any sense!.........enjoy your boat ride

AKK

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
lets continue....the cargo ports around the Mexican coast..gee.....not at all as nice and the tourist stops like PV etc. but young lady if your still sure that a dead ship for 2 or 3 days is better then a 3 hour or so bus ride.....a baby or not.......*:confused3......I am speechless.....that just doesn't make any sense!.........enjoy your boat ride

AKK

What kind of ship were you on? pirate:

Mindyjoy
11-10-2010, 03:25 PM

AKK

No need to be rude. :hippie:

dursin
11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
What kind of ship were you on? pirate:
http://citycyclops.com/see/row-boat.png

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

hahaha......... :rotfl: Love it!!

Mindyjoy
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Tonka's Skipper
11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry mindy.it was only my professional opinion and to be frank if I was rude I was only responding to her wise crack about my background and opnion

In any case if it was rude I appolize.and will not comment further

Just a ole ex deep water sailors opinion

AKK

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Sorry mindy.it was only my professional opinion and to be frank if I was rude I was only responding to her wise crack about my background and opnion

AKK

No... lease continue... BTW what kind of ship/boat were you on? pirate:

Mindyjoy
11-10-2010, 03:31 PM

AKK

Everyone has their opinions .... it's okay.

Group hug ... :grouphug:

haha

Mindyjoy
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
BTW, CNN is about to talk to a passenger on the boat ... I guess they have cell service? :confused3

one princess
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I was on a DCL Med cruise this August and about 2 in the morning all power was lost on the Magic. It was totally dark, no AC and very quiet! Until an announcement was made for someone to come to the bridge (or wherever, I don't remember exactly) It took several hours for them to get it fixed and it was quite nerve racking. I likened it to bobbing around the Med like a cork. You really had a feeling of being alone. Apparently there were quite a few passengers who actually put on their life jackets and went on deck. They didn't speak English and when the captain came on to reassure the passengers they didn't understand so they went on deck.
Totally not the same thing but it was scarry for awhile and I can imagine what the passengers on Carnival are going through. That is a long time to be bobbing around the Pacific like a cork!
Also just wanted to say that it can happen even to Disney!

nenner1
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Their are two words I never want to hear on a cruiseship- Bravo, Bravo.

On Disney cruise line the code word is "Red Party". We had one onboard the Magic Saturday Oct. 30. we were in our stateroom and heard the distress message to staff over the speaker- took a minute to realize what was going on before we heard "Red Party in Parrot Cay has been cancelled- repeat Red Party in Parrot Cay cancelled- fire is out."

When we asked our server about it later on he claimed it was just a drill, although we suspect otherwise. :rolleyes: Obviously it was very minor, probably a flare up in the kitchen of some sort.

Just an interesting tidbit. ;)

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I would also like to point out that the Pacific ocean is much calmer than the Atlantic and the Med. They have said that they were got lucky with th weather being very.. VERY calm for these few days. They are certainly swaying a bit but it wouldn't a whole lot. pirate:

msmayor
11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Do they have non-perishable food on board that can be served? Maybe...but realize that virtually NONE of it is in single-serve containers. It would still need to be handled by human hands (that cannot be washed properly without hot water) and served using dishes and utensils that cannot be properly sanitized.

Individual food packages are really the safer option.

As for the attempt to get her to San Diego, in some ways it makes perfect sense.

Has anyone ever embarked/debarked in Ensenada? I personally have not, but I don't believe its considered a 'major' cruise port. It would take upwards of 90-100 buses to get all the passengers AND their luggage back to San Diego. Not an easy task to try and charter that many buses.

Some may say "Well make multiple trips." Ok...but then would you want to be one of the passengers that has to sit in the Ensenada terminal waiting hours and hours for your turn? With unknown food and comfort facilities available? I seriously doubt anyone would consider trying to find anything outside the terminal.

No, even in the rough conditions I think I'd rather just sit on a lounge chair on the top deck with a bottle of water and an MRE for an extra day or two than sit in Ensenada and wait for a bus.

maria-fan-22
11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Do they have non-perishable food on board that can be served? Maybe...but realize that virtually NONE of it is in single-serve containers. It would still need to be handled by human hands (that cannot be washed properly without hot water) and served using dishes and utensils that cannot be properly sanitized.

Individual food packages are really the safer option.

As for the attempt to get her to San Diego, in some ways it makes perfect sense.

Has anyone ever embarked/debarked in Ensenada? I personally have not, but I don't believe its considered a 'major' cruise port. It would take upwards of 90-100 buses to get all the passengers AND their luggage back to San Diego. Not an easy task to try and charter that many buses.

Some may say "Well make multiple trips." Ok...but then would you want to be one of the passengers that has to sit in the Ensenada terminal waiting hours and hours for your turn? With unknown food and comfort facilities available? I seriously doubt anyone would consider trying to find anything outside the terminal.

No, even in the rough conditions I think I'd rather just sit on a lounge chair on the top deck with a bottle of water and an MRE for an extra day or two than sit in Ensenada and wait for a bus.

Well said! pirate:

msmayor
11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
This is a quote from a passenger on board who works for a Denver TV station. The ship is within cell phone range now, so passengers have been able to make phone calls:

Zambrano said passengers were overjoyed to hear they were heading straight back to California and wouldn't have to go through the tedious customs process at the border.

I didn't even think about the customs process they'd have to go through making the trip by bus...its not like a normal day trip into Mexico where all you may have is a handbag. Think of all the luggage that may need inspection at that border crossing. Talk about a nightmare...

Mindyjoy
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Well said! pirate:

Maria-fan, I realize this is :offtopic:, but what excursions did you do on your MR trip in 2005? I'm trying to decide for mine (if the boat makes it past day 1)

tvguy
11-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock. The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore. Wikipedia

Could be worse. They could be eating this:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_9mNHNOMqaqM/SAzMSb6V5DI/AAAAAAAAA60/Ja9MqUc0DXo/s400/PottedMeat3.jpg

over50visits
11-10-2010, 04:40 PM
As I said elsewhere, once this sad and unexpected event happened, the passengers are now where they are and the conditions are as they are. They can choose to make the best of it, or choose to make themselves angry and miserable. I would happily be there right now, floating on the ocean, eating cold food, and relaxing, reading, and enjoying life. Once life deals you a setback, you then have complete control as to how you react and handle it!

True Romance
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
I would be fine as long as the kids clubs were still open :goodvibes

The worst day at sea is better than the best day at work:cool2:

andrewsmommy
11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
So, about 8 years ago DH and I were on a RCL cruise and half the ship got stranded at their private island for the night. It sounds better than it was ;) What happened is that a freak wind picked up and they couldn't safely get the tenders back and forth to the ship. There are no facilities for staying overnight, and we were in bathing suits with t-shirts. There was basically no food, and before long the bathrooms quit working.

It was fine, the cruise line and its employees did everything it could. They had a parasailing boat going back and forth bringing people their medications, diapers, and any clothing they could bring from the gift shops - or elsewhere! We ended up with 2 maintenance jumpsuits!

The cruise line ended up giving EVERYONE on the ship (not just those stranded) their money back and a free cruise and free booze on the last day. We thought that was very nice of them.

However, we had it much easier than these poor people!

truck1
11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
On Disney cruise line the code word is "Red Party". We had one onboard the Magic Saturday Oct. 30. we were in our stateroom and heard the distress message to staff over the speaker- took a minute to realize what was going on before we heard "Red Party in Parrot Cay has been cancelled- repeat Red Party in Parrot Cay cancelled- fire is out."

When we asked our server about it later on he claimed it was just a drill, although we suspect otherwise. :rolleyes: Obviously it was very minor, probably a flare up in the kitchen of some sort.

Just an interesting tidbit. ;)

If it was a drill, they would announce before the Red Party at least 2 if not 3x this is a drill. We heard it on the Oct 16th tripat one of the stops, for a fire drill to the main ships laundry.
It sounded like this:

THIS IS A DRILL THIS IS A DRILL RED PARTY TO THE SHIPS LAUNDRY B DECK RED PARTY TO THE SHIPS LAUNDRY B DECK

If there was no this is a drill, someone set something on fire, or they thought there was a fire, possibly due to a malfunctioning detector, or an accidental sprinkler head activation.

Im still amazed, that there was no one hurt, when the fire occured on the Splendor, due to the extremely high voltage and large moving parts in the spaces that the fire occured in. BZ to the attack crews and who ever trained them.

ClubDis
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Could be worse. They could be eating this:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_9mNHNOMqaqM/SAzMSb6V5DI/AAAAAAAAA60/Ja9MqUc0DXo/s400/PottedMeat3.jpg

Or this:

http://www.delawareliberal.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/creamed-possum.jpg

sayhello
11-10-2010, 06:50 PM
The passenger who was on the news also said:

"When they said they were towing us to San Diego instead of Ensenada, the cheer could be heard all the way around the boat," he said. "Everybody was screaming.

I just feel SO BAD for these folks. A couple of years ago, we got the tail end of Hurricane Ike going through Ohio. The rain went one way, and the hurricane force winds came our way. Among other things, power went out all over the area.

But the big problem was, the power crews had all left and gone to Houston to help them (since that was where Ike had made landfall). So we were without power for almost 3 days (some areas for longer!). But I was in my home, and could get in my car & drive places, and get food (although I had no-where to store anything perishable). And it DROVE ME NUTS! I cannot IMAGINE how it is for these folks on the Splendor. I am so VERY, VERY thankful that I am not there!

Sayhello

justmestace
11-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Has anyone ever embarked/debarked in Ensenada? .

I haven't yet, but I will be in January. I'm cruising the Carnival Spirit. Not afraid or worried in the least.
It will be my 5th Mexican Riviera cruise. It isn't so much the ports that I look forward to, as it is the ease of cruising out of California.

Anyway.....there's not much in Ensenada. A few nice resorts and that's about all.
I think I'd take my chances staying on the ship.

Maybe I'll pack an extra suitcase full of food to take with me. :thumbsup2

queenbee99
11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I heard that the toilets are now working but the pool, the bars and the casinos are closed. I mean what exactly does that leave you with? This does NOT sound like fun, even with the refund and free cruise. I can't imagine me being stuck with a little one on that cruise. Even though I know this can happen to any cruise line it has added to mine and dh's concerns about the transatlantic. You are alot further from nowhere if something like this were to happen. Honestly I had never really heard of anything happening like this.

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I heard that the toilets are now working but the pool, the bars and the casinos are closed. I mean what exactly does that leave you with? This does NOT sound like fun, even with the refund and free cruise. I can't imagine me being stuck with a little one on that cruise. Even though I know this can happen to any cruise line it has added to mine and dh's concerns about the transatlantic. You are alot further from nowhere if something like this were to happen. Honestly I had never really heard of anything happening like this.

They were saying over on the "other" board that the bars were open. Might have had to close 'em if they started having problems. Pools can't open without filtration systems for the water or systems to warm the water. There's not much point in opening the casinos. Most of the games require power and they couldn't take/track/pay bets at the table games without power to sell chips or track cards (not sure how they work bets on table games on cruises). There is mention on the other board of activities but I bet it's spooky onboard after dark, especially in the inside areas.

It doesn't happen often but they are dealing with the situation the best they can.

dursin
11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Or this:

http://www.delawareliberal.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/creamed-possum.jpg
Or this:
http://sitayoga.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pork-brains-in-milk-gravy1.jpeg

justmestace
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Or this:
http://sitayoga.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pork-brains-in-milk-gravy1.jpeg

Who knew this stuff existed??:confused3:confused3
Does anyone really eat this stuff??:scared::scared::scared:

I've always been proud to say that I've never even tasted Spam, let alone THIS stuff.
And EWWWWW....it's distributed by the Dial Corp in PHOENIX!!! I wondered what that awful smell was every time I have to go to Phoenix.:lmao:

tvguy
11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
scared::scared::scared:

I've always been proud to say that I've never even tasted Spam, let alone THIS stuff.

Well, 122 million cans of Spam are sold a year, and sales have soared since the recession started. Basically, every other house on your block, someone is eating spam.

lmhall2000
11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, when I plan a vacation, one of the biggest requirements is to make it memorable...I think this one qualifies for one they'll never forget!

Soccermom-Cheri
11-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been to Ensenada ('05 Magic) and can tell you it is a pit. Living near the border we daily hear about the crime below the border. Increasingly, innocent tourists are targeted. So, yes, it would be awful to be on a cruise ship in cruddy conditions. However, I would feel SAFER than being put on a bus up to the border.

PS where can I find that canned possum?:rotfl2:

justmestace
11-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Well, 122 million cans of Spam are sold a year, and sales have soared since the recession started. Basically, every other house on your block, someone is eating spam.

Not on MY block! (We don't live in a neighborhood....we're out in the sticks;))
Actually, my husband the (retired) Marine, likes Spam. I've bought it for him to take to our cabin, but I haven't ever tried it. He said it's better than the MRE's.

disney11fan
11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
well how much do you tip after a cruise like that ?

justmestace
11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
I've been to Ensenada ('05 Magic) and can tell you it is a pit. Living near the border we daily hear about the crime below the border. Increasingly, innocent tourists are targeted. So, yes, it would be awful to be on a cruise ship in cruddy conditions. However, I would feel SAFER than being put on a bus up to the border.

Honestly, I'm not looking forward to going to Ensenada in January. We've chosen to go to a resort there, with the cruise line...but if not for that, I'd be tempted to not get off the ship. Except I have this thing about NOT getting off. I feel that I paid for it, I need to at least experience it once.

I lived through being held up by bandits with machine guns in Guatemala....I hope that wasn't my only shot at really good luck.:scared:

justmestace
11-10-2010, 11:26 PM
well how much do you tip after a cruise like that ?

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh...it is SO not nice to joke.:sad2:

justmestace
11-11-2010, 12:07 AM
I was looking for something on DCL's website, and I had no idea that DCL was going to Ensenada! 5 Night cruise from Vancouver to LA.
Vancouver, Victoria B.C. and Ensenada.

Mindyjoy
11-11-2010, 12:12 AM
That makes no sense. :confused3

justmestace
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
That makes no sense. :confused3

That itinerary to Ensenada? It doesn't, does it? But it must have something to do with visiting a foreign port. Then again, Victoria is foreign.:confused:

justmestace
11-11-2010, 12:49 AM

Cheri...which '05 cruise did the Magic go to Ensenada? It wasn't on the regular MR itineraries, and it wasn't on the Eastbound PC. :confused3 Was it during the Westbound PC?

WilliamK99
11-11-2010, 01:10 AM
I wonder if the passengers are singing this song?

I'm on a boat (I'm on a boat)
Everybody look at me cause I'm sailin on a boat
I'm on a boat
Take a good hard look at the *blank* boat

Mickeyhugger
11-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I wonder if the passengers are singing this song?

Everybody look at me cause I'm sailin on a boat
I'm on a boat
Take a good hard look at the *blank* boat

:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

Mindyjoy
11-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Look at me, I'm on a boat like Leo
If you're on the shore then you sure ain't me-o.

Not sure why they would go allll the way to Ensenada and then back up to LA. Why not stop in San Diego or Catalina instead????

WilliamK99
11-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Here is what alot of people don't understand, the engine basically caught on fire, sure they are inconvenienced, sure their vacation was ruined, but had this happened on an airplane, they would be dead right now...

Mickeyhugger
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
here is what alot of people don't understand, the engine basically caught on fire, sure they are inconvenienced, sure their vacation was ruined, had this happe butned on an airplane, they would be dead right now...

not true

dursin
11-11-2010, 08:25 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh...it is SO not nice to joke.:sad2:
Don't laugh. If this happened on a DCL ship, I bet that you'd find at least a couple people on here saying that it isn't your servers fault that this happened and that they rely on those tips and should be given their normal gratuity.

MarkRG
11-11-2010, 08:34 AM
WGN Morning news has live video, the ship is in range of SD already, and one thing of note, it's not completely dark, they have lighting up in the major public areas.

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-11-2010, 08:35 AM
[/b]

not true

If it was just an engine fire yes....if the airplane completely lost power like the Splendor did...definite possibility.

Tonka's Skipper
11-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Actually dursin, you are right.........those servers are most likely working alot harder then they would normally.....trying to make the best of a bad/dangerous situation, and frankly, instead of being cheap:rolleyes1, as a passinger, I would be thinking of helping the crew members who make the least and where working the most, looking after the passingers.:)

AKK

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Don't laugh. If this happened on a DCL ship, I bet that you'd find at least a couple people on here saying that it isn't your servers fault that this happened and that they rely on those tips and should be given their normal gratuity.

Actually, you aren't far off but not because they rely on the tips. I'd do it because they busted their butts probably 2-3x more than they regularly do as a result of the emergency situation. I'd be willing to bet there's not a crew member on that vessel that's had more than an hour or two of sleep since the fire. The lack of complete lighting means that they should have had patrols going 24/7 on board and it would require everybody helping out cause I don't think they have enough dedicated security personnel to maintain that schedule. But that's just my 2 worth.

dursin
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Actually dursin, you are right.........those servers are most likely working alot harder then they would normally.....trying to make the best of a bad/dangerous situation, and frankly, instead of being cheap:rolleyes1, as a passinger, I would be thinking of helping the crew members who make the least and where working the most, looking after the passingers.:)

AKK
:lmao::lmao::lmao::rotfl:

KingRichard
11-11-2010, 08:56 AM
So they can't fire up the stoves, but the credit card machines will be full speed ahead to tip the crews?

Can't think they are cleaning the rooms or giving much choice for food and drink?

The line would maybe compensate the crews for lost wages?

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
So they can't fire up the stoves, but the credit card machines will be full speed ahead to tip the crews?

Can't think they are cleaning the rooms or giving much choice for food and drink?

As Tonka and I pointed out: No, they may not be performing their regular duties but they are working HARD to respond to the situation. While the room stewards may not clean the rooms as much, the servers are still busting their butts to serve the passengers what food they can.

I doubt the passengers have the capability to tip, unless its in cash, if they choose to. The CC machines are probably not tied into the emergency circuit. While the cruise line might give them a little extra for the extra work, it is not likely to match what they would have made in tips. You see, emergency response is part of the crew's assigned duties so it is not like they are doing work outside their contract so the line could just give them nothing saying "You did your jobs, what do you want from us?"

To head off any responses, yes I said it was part of their assigned duties in the event of an emergency and not technically extra work. That doesn't mean I don't believe they are entitled to additional compensation for what has been a difficult time for them.

Blanche_Neige
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I hope Carnival will also compensate their employees... They will loose out on tips, added stress, they also loss the ability to wash...

mainstreetmagic
11-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Did you see they are sending Spam to them, now, so they have something to eat?? Gaa-rossss. :eek: I bet all of those people will be sooo relieved when this ordeal is over.

OrangeCountyCommuter
11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Not on MY block! (We don't live in a neighborhood....we're out in the sticks;))
Actually, my husband the (retired) Marine, likes Spam. I've bought it for him to take to our cabin, but I haven't ever tried it. He said it's better than the MRE's.

I am not sure that being better then MRE is that big of a compliment! :goodvibes And give our DH our thanks for his service today!

Here is what alot of people don't understand, the engine basically caught on fire, sure they are inconvenienced, sure their vacation was ruined, but had this happened on an airplane, they would be dead right now...

Please... you need to do some reseach. I have actually LANDED in plane where one of the engines caught fire (four engine plane) The pilot cuts off the flow of fuel the engine, hits the suppression system and you the passenger just sit there is bliss.... (Seirously we knew only because they have to take precautions on landing) So please don't post things designed just to upset folks!

And as bad as the "quarters" are for the paying guests...can you imagine what the crew quarters are like? They are in the very bottom, smaller, darker etc..... Poor guys and gals!

Tonka's Skipper
11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Dynamic is totally correct!

Unless you have been on a basicly dead ship, with very limited EVERYTHING!, you cannot begin to realize the amount of work that needs to be done! To decide geee...I am not paying normal tipping cause my bed isnt made,(and I can get away with it) is about as self centered as you can get.......basicly a very cheap/small person to my mind!

Some can sit at work or home, warm and comfortable and make silly comments about not tipping, but will never understand what is happening out there.

just a ex deep water sailors opinion

AKK

justmestace
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM

I know, I just thought it was funny that someone actually thought of it, and I think they were just being funny, too.

Those poor crew members are probably earning triple tips, just for having to put up with the cranky passengers.

WilliamK99
11-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I am not sure that being better then MRE is that big of a compliment! :goodvibes And give our DH our thanks for his service today!

Please... you need to do some reseach. I have actually LANDED in plane where one of the engines caught fire (four engine plane) The pilot cuts off the flow of fuel the engine, hits the suppression system and you the passenger just sit there is bliss.... (Seirously we knew only because they have to take precautions on landing) So please don't post things designed just to upset folks!

And as bad as the "quarters" are for the paying guests...can you imagine what the crew quarters are like? They are in the very bottom, smaller, darker etc..... Poor guys and gals!

In the past 50 years, hardly any cruise ships have sunk.... In the past 50 years many passenger planes have crashed killing people. It is not an unfair assumption to make that cruising is inherently safer than flying on an airplane, regardless of what happened to the Carnival ship. Too many people are ragging on Carnival or saying cruising is unsafe when you have a better chance surviving a cruise than you do an airplane trip...

cats mom
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Cheri...which '05 cruise did the Magic go to Ensenada? It wasn't on the regular MR itineraries, and it wasn't on the Eastbound PC. :confused3 Was it during the Westbound PC?

I'm not Cheri, but I was on the '05 Westbound PC and we definitely did not stop in Ensenada.

Tonka's Skipper
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Seems I remember reading somwhere you have a much bigger chance of dieing or having severe injures just walked across a street then any transportation!......cars.planes...trains and ships!

AKK

justmestace
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
WGN Morning news has live video, the ship is in range of SD already, and one thing of note, it's not completely dark, they have lighting up in the major public areas.

Thanks for that....very cool. They're almost back to port in San Diego, although it will be hours yet to get everything done before people can disembark.

justmestace
11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not Cheri, but I was on the '05 Westbound PC and we definitely did not stop in Ensenada.

I didn't think DCL had gone there before, but I wasn't sure. Thought maybe my memory was going, or I just wasn't paying attention before.

justmestace
11-11-2010, 10:53 AM

People won't need the ATM's because they didn't spend all of their tourist dollars in port. ;)

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
live coverage of ship entering harbor:

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/videobeta/?watchLive=kswb-ls-morning-news

They're interviewing passengers who are still onboard.

They said there is a Veteran's Day Parade about to start the same time the ship arrives back in port, so traffic (with people arriving to pick up loved ones from ship) is :scared1:

The person who they are interviewing now has SUCH a FABULOUS attitude! Hope it was widespread! ;)

Said this is his 1st cruise and he's definitely using that free cruise they're being offered sometime in the future, and that the crew has been amazing.

KingRichard
11-11-2010, 11:25 AM
live coverage of ship entering harbor:

They're interviewing passengers who are still onboard.

They said there is a Veteran's Day Parade about to start the same time the ship arrives back in port, so traffic (with people arriving to pick up loved ones from ship) is :scared1:

The person who they are interviewing now has SUCH a FABULOUS attitude! Hope it was widespread! ;)

Said this is his 1st cruise and he's definitely using that free cruise they're being offered sometime in the future, and that the crew has been amazing.

I don't get it?

The guy I saw said he wasn't onboard and the people he knew on board would NOT cruise with them again?

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
The guy I've been listening to them interview onboard is Jim Moran (?) one of the coaches for the Padres (I think is what they said). He's awesome! :love: his attitude (and hope I could have the same, if ever in a similar situation).

They've had him on the phone for the last 30 minutes off & on. He'll be back on momentarily -- after weather and traffic. :lmao:

... (and apparently, a Veteran's Day report) ....

edited: 11:44 am: LIVE STREAM (link 2 posts above) is back live to the ship .......

Hygiene99
11-11-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-cruise-ship-arrives-in-san-diego,0,5300776.story

Mickeyhugger
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
If it was just an engine fire yes....if the airplane completely lost power like the Splendor did...definite possibility.

delete
Rob

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
as a A@P mechanic for 24 years I have worked on many of airplanes that had engine fires and none of them crashed:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 while possible it is rare that an engine fire leads to disaster

Rob

I agreed with you. :) A simple engine fire is not going to cause much issue. As I stated though..if it led to a total power failure...there exists a possibility of a fatal crash. Its incredibly rare that an engine fire on a cruise ship leads to disaster too...but it happened in this case. No matter how much you prepare or how safe something is....Murphy can always come along and screw your day up royally. I'm not saying people should lock themselves in their homes, just pointing out that it is a statistical impossibility to say something is 100% safe/reliable no matter what experts say.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
The Fox San Diego coverage is now off the air, I guess, since it's 9 am there.

They said passengers started disembarking about 30 minutes ago.

edited 1:50 EDT: webcam is now back up & running. Showing people disembarking, porters, cabs, busses ... and when they showed the aerial view of the ship, it looked like some kids were playing putput on the top deck.

Soccermom-Cheri
11-11-2010, 01:36 PM

you and justmestace are correct. I went back and looked. We stopped in Mazatlan not Esenada. Sorry that was a road trip in college:headache: Still I stand by my "pit" opinion. Just add Mazatlan to it.

Soccermom-Cheri
11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
local radio is asking people not to come to the port. I was ready to head down there. There is a huge Veteran's Day parade getting ready so the streets are already wonky. they said it would take hours to get everyone off as the elevators weren't working. :scared1: I can't imagine schlepping all of our luggage down/up the staircase with hundreds of other people. Guess that makes a good argument for traveling lightly.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
LIVE webcam is up and running again:

This is like watching the float out of the Dream ... I just can't stop watching! :lmao:

dursin
11-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Saw this posted over at Cruise Critic forums. Is from the Carnival facebook page.

"The Carnival Splendor crew have been given the option of staying at hotels in the coming days, paid for by Carnival, and are receiving a stipend for meals. Along with their normal pay, they are being compensated for gratuities they would have normally received."

Glad to see they are doing this as it is Carnival's responsibility to take care of their passengers AND their employees.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Saw this posted over at Cruise Critic forums. Is from the Carnival facebook page.

"The Carnival Splendor crew have been given the option of staying at hotels in the coming days, paid for by Carnival, and are receiving a stipend for meals. Along with their normal pay, they are being compensated for gratuities they would have normally received."

Glad to see they are doing this as it is Carnival's responsibility to take care of their passengers AND their employees.

That's awesome! They really DO seem to be handling the whole ordeal as well as anyone could possibly hope or expect! Pretty impressed with what I've heard so far. From their CEO's news conference yesterday to the reports of how the crew handled things, etc. Two :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Pinkgurlshubby
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
SPAM cruise 2010 I wish I was there. I'd be standing in line wearing my SPAM t shirt :rotfl2:

RedSox68
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Yesterday on the Today Show they interviewed the parents of honeymooners onboard! What a BUMMER honeymoon experience. Great stories to tell later though. :rotfl: They also reported that the sewage was backing up and there as no hot water at all or communication capabilities. :scared1:

I think the compensation they are offering of full reimbursement, travel expenses AND a free cruise in the future is fair. However, I can see everyone's point about the vacation time. If you only get 7-10 vacation days a year, then you just saved up this year's time to take this trip and basically ended up with a survival experience ;) That would be very frustrating. And if you already have your vacation plans for next year, then where would you fit in this future cruise? Very unfortunate and I feel for them all.

truck1
11-11-2010, 03:06 PM
This may have been mentioned before, but heres an explanation on why the ship has no power:

"The U.S. Navy reports that the fire began in the generator compartment of the aft engine room and knocked out several systems. During a Wednesday news conference, Carnival Chief Executive Gerry Cahill went into further detail. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "The fire burned enough electrical connections to prevent the ship's engineers from restarting full power. Cahill explained that one of the ship's six diesel generators in the aft engine room had an internal malfunction, which he described as a crankcase that split and caused the fire."

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
However, I can see everyone's point about the vacation time. If you only get 7-10 vacation days a year, then you just saved up this year's time to take this trip and basically ended up with a survival experience ;) That would be very frustrating.

I was thinking about this too, and how nice it would be if employers would comp them an extra week to make up for it. I know most employers are probably not in a position to do so, or might not even care ... but I just thought it would be a nice gesture if any did. :flower3:

It might be worth it to them to help get everyone back to an even keel.

My DH has several employees and while he may not be able to pay for a 2nd week's vacation for them - I'm sure he would take their emotional state into consideration and possibly offer another week without pay (and if their next cruise is paid for, and this week's reimbursed by Carnival, a week without pay might not be such a hardship on them). :confused3

Ok, I'm rambling now, but I did think that there may be some compassionate employers out there somewhere. (at least I'm hoping for the passengers sake) ;)

pxlbarrel
11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I wonder if there's an enterprising person at the dock selling t-shirts like, "I survived the Splendor fire" or "Spam Cruise 2010", etc.

OrangeCountyCommuter
11-11-2010, 03:53 PM
In the past 50 years, hardly any cruise ships have sunk.... In the past 50 years many passenger planes have crashed killing people. It is not an unfair assumption to make that cruising is inherently safer than flying on an airplane, regardless of what happened to the Carnival ship. Too many people are ragging on Carnival or saying cruising is unsafe when you have a better chance surviving a cruise than you do an airplane trip...

I think you should be better informed before you put your fingers on the keyboards...

Based on the list below and your "fearmongering" I expect you will have to stay home from now on! :lmao:

I have not see any "ragging" in this thread except the 'ragging' you are doing to the airline industry!

Below is a list of cruise ship sinkings and accidents since 1980 as reported by MSNBC:

Dec. 17, 2000: The Sea Breeze I sinks following engine failure 200 miles east of Cape Charles, Va. No passengers are aboard the ship, which is sailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Charleston, S.C. All 34 crewmembers are saved.

Aug. 4, 1991: Luxury Greek liner Oceanos sinks off the coast of South Africa when the engine room floods. The 571 people on board are rescued. The ship’s crew had failed to replace ventilation pipes it removed during repairs.

Aug. 31, 1986: The Admiral Nakimov, a Soviet cruise ship carrying 1,234 passengers to a holiday resort, collides with a cargo vessel twice its size and sinks into the Black Sea eight miles off the port of Novorossysk. Seventy-nine people are killed, 836 are rescued and 319 people are never found.

Feb. 16, 1986: The Soviet cruise ship Mikhail Lermontov sinks in 100 feet of water off the northern tip of New Zealand’s South Island after hitting a reef. One of the 330 crewmembers dies, but the rest of the crew and all 409 passengers, mainly elderly Australians, are evacuated.

Sept. 11, 1982: A 152-foot cruise liner, the Majestic Explorer, got stuck on a shoal in Frederick Sound off southeastern Alaska. One woman dies and two are injured during the rescue. The remaining 77 passengers and 21 crew are safely evacuated.

Oct. 4, 1980: The luxury liner Prinsendam, a Holland America Line ship carrying 319 passengers and 203 crew members, catches fire during a violent storm. All passengers and crew are successfully evacuated.

Other recent cruise ship sinkings include:

Al-Salaam Boccaccio – 02-02-06
Ethan Allen – 10-02-05
Explorer – 11-23-07
M/V Saurav – 02-28-08
Queen Of The North – 03-22-06
Sea Diamond – 04-05-07
Senopati Nusantara – 12-29-06

maria-fan-22
11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
That is 13 ships. How many cruise ships are still in operation??? It is a huge jump in numbers. And the poster said "hardly" not none. pirate:

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I wonder if there's an enterprising person at the dock selling t-shirts like, "I survived the Splendor fire" or "Spam Cruise 2010", etc.

Actually, I just read a few minutes ago that 2 sisters had flown in and were selling "I survived ___" tshirts.

edited:
here's the article that mentions the .... "I Survived the 2010 Carnival Spamcation" shirts: The tshirt entrepreneur said she was stranded this year in Europe with the volcanic ash and had tshirts made, so she thought these folks would like to commemorate their trips, too! Ok, now I'm really curious and want to see one of these shirts! :rotfl: It won't be long until someone takes a picture of them, right? :laughing:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/11/11/20101111cruise-ship-rescue-1111.html

justmestace
11-11-2010, 05:17 PM
you and justmestace are correct. I went back and looked. We stopped in Mazatlan not Esenada. Sorry that was a road trip in college:headache: Still I stand by my "pit" opinion. Just add Mazatlan to it.

So when they go after Alaska, it will be DCL's first time.
I could skip ever seeing Mazatlan again, did it the one time on the Repo cruise, don't need to do it again.
I can say with almost 100% certainty, that after I see Ensenada in January, I won't ever need to go there again either. ;)

dursin
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
That is 13 ships. How many cruise ships are still in operation??? It is a huge jump in numbers. And the poster said "hardly" not none. pirate:
You have to take into consideration the number of planes which fly each day vs the number of cruise ships sailing each day. I don't know the exact numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the number of daily flights outnumbered the number of daily cruises by at least 1000 to 1.

MarkRG
11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
This may have been mentioned before, but heres an explanation on why the ship has no power:

"The U.S. Navy reports that the fire began in the generator compartment of the aft engine room and knocked out several systems. During a Wednesday news conference, Carnival Chief Executive Gerry Cahill went into further detail. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "The fire burned enough electrical connections to prevent the ship's engineers from restarting full power. Cahill explained that one of the ship's six diesel generators in the aft engine room had an internal malfunction, which he described as a crankcase that split and caused the fire."

Probably time for hole cutting, that ship's going to be out of service for more than a week.

So the engine threw a moving part internally, which then broke the crankcase and it spewed hot diesel engine oil out, and when it got on the hot exhaust, instant mess. :(

They are very lucky it wasn't worse. Diesel engine oil ends up carrying a lot of the fuel in it and is much more flammable than your typical car engine oil.

Now THIS is pure luck:
About 250 magicians who were on the cruise for an industry convention entertained guests for hours.
Instant extra entertainment. :)

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Carnival is now saying that they did NOT serve the Spam. It was delivered but they chose not to serve it. Probably afraid the passengers would start shoving it down crew members' throats.

Or maybe they were afraid of what that much Spam would do to the already stressed waste system.:rotfl2:

Pinkgurlshubby
11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Carnival is now saying that they did NOT serve the Spam. It was delivered but they chose not to serve it. Probably afraid the passengers would start shoving it down crew members' throats.

Well they can send some of it to me I'll take it. They should have a best before 2013 date stamped on the bottom of the tin anyways :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::hippie:

truck1
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Probably time for hole cutting, that ship's going to be out of service for more than a week.

So the engine threw a moving part internally, which then broke the crankcase and it spewed hot diesel engine oil out, and when it got on the hot exhaust, instant mess. :(

They are very lucky it wasn't worse. Diesel engine oil ends up carrying a lot of the fuel in it and is much more flammable than your typical car engine oil.

Now THIS is pure luck:

Thats what Im thinking.Assuming it wasnt a fault in the case itself. Time for a drydock. The 1 thing Im not sure on is if it was the actual engine that drives the generator, or the generator itself. Sounds like the main though. Either way,something big and heavy needs to come out, and then get replaced.

Youre right. Now that I think of it, I remember the mechanics at Disney, and, and also heard the same thing in fire school.Its true that you can drop a match into diesel, and gas, and oil, and nothing will happen. (Occasionally under the right circumstances yes, gas will ignite). However, atomised oil/fuel/gas will ignite fairly easily. Even engine oil that is hot and suddenly atomised into a hot area, such as an engine room,is more likely to ignite, then if it was a steady stream. Espescailly,like you said if it comes into a hot exhaust.

I wonder how long of a warranty/guaruntee they got with the ships engines? :confused3:cool1:

I did not see the part about the magicians until a little while ago.

Mickeyhugger
11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
You have to take into consideration the number of planes which fly each day vs the number of cruise ships sailing each day. I don't know the exact numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if the number of daily flights outnumbered the number of daily cruises by at least 1000 to 1.

Per Southwest airlines fun facts they alone fly 3200 flights per day now add in all the other carriers you are looking at 20,000to 1 or more:thumbsup2

Rob

tvguy
11-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Now THIS is pure luck:

Probably will just fix the wiring and cleanup the mess, with 6 engines on board, they can wait to the next scheduled dry dock to repair the damaged engine and just operate on 5. The reports coming out today are the wiring is what prevented them from restoring full electrical power.

MarkRG
11-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Probably will just fix the wiring and cleanup the mess, with 6 engines on board, they can wait to the next scheduled dry dock to repair the damaged engine and just operate on 5. The reports coming out today are the wiring is what prevented them from restoring full electrical power.

Depends on what all the authorities involved have to say, and still how extensive the damage really is. For them to even admit the engine crankcase failed, by far the toughest part of the engine, says a lot. And those kind of electrical systems should have had adequate protection from an average fire. This was not average. There was a report from a passenger "It felt like an earthquake and sounded like a jackhammer", That sounds like a catastrophic failure of the engine and it still depends on how badly it, not just the fire, damaged the engine room. Getting the ship back operating to limp home and declaring it safe for normal operation after such an accident are two entirely different things. They may insist on full repairs right now.

noladave
11-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I have to agree about electrical systems. If there was a "liquid" type of fire, that melted large parts of the electrical systems, I'm not sure this will be a quick fix.

Wouldn't most of these electrical systems be somewhat custom, as they are integrated into the computer systems on board?? I would think there is a fairly significant lead time to get these parts manufactured. There could be some spare parts, but then what would they use if they have another failure?

On top of that, the inquiry by the government....

On the other side, they will be motivated to get this ship up and running, as quickly as possible.

truck1
11-11-2010, 11:09 PM
The more I think about it, the more I agree, that there are details that we dont and probably never will know in regards to the actual extent of the damage.

If the fire was hot enough to melt/damage/destroy the wiring from not only that engine, but the other 4 or 5 engines, and they cant isolate the bad wires/engine, that tells me that there is some major damage.Otherwise, theyd be able to isolate the damaged engine, and run the ship from the others. It sounds like the main electrical distrubution panel may have taken a direct hit. Which means that even if the ship could generate power, there is now no way to get it to the drive engines, a/c, refrigerators etc.

1. If the fire was that hot, not only is the wiring affected, the other metal pieces in the engine/generator room, plus the other engines are now all suspect.

2. If the engine did have a catastrophic failure that caused a crankcase failure, theres a good chance that a neighboring engine(s) was damaged by shrapnel, or at least by the hot fluids that came out.

3. Theres a chance that since the engine came apart, that there was s power surge that may have occured, if the mdp failed, or the wiring let go, that damaged past the distubution panel, mainly the drive engines, and the wiring past the panel.

truck1
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
I have to agree about electrical systems. If there was a "liquid" type of fire, that melted large parts of the electrical systems, I'm not sure this will be a quick fix.

Wouldn't most of these electrical systems be somewhat custom, as they are integrated into the computer systems on board?? I would think there is a fairly significant lead time to get these parts manufactured. There could be some spare parts, but then what would they use if they have another failure?

On top of that, the inquiry by the government....

On the other side, they will be motivated to get this ship up and running, as quickly as possible.

I dont think the hardware itself is custom. What most likely is custom, would be the wiring itself,and the software to run the power plant,since no 2 ships are the same. When the first ship in a class comes out, they figure out that, if they move a wire bundle here, it works better, or rearrange the panel, since a door opened a different way, and now blocks a certain part. Even then the wire is basically stock, its the length that changes.

If I had to guess, that there are spare parts sitting in a wharehouse somewhere, and will be flown or trucked to SD.Assuming they do it in water, if not theyll get packed on the ship for the trip to drydock, then order new to replace the spares from the wharehouse. If not, theyll prob call the manufacturer, and either buy a new one from them, or find out if another cruiseline has the parts they need, and buy through them. Airlines do it all the time.

DCL has a ware house (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-02-19/business/dizcruise19_1_disney-cruise-line-foreign-trade-zone-foreign-trade-zone), that has just about everything spare for the 2 ships in the Magic class, and if I had to guess, theyll be ordering spares for the Dream. From what I understand, there is everything from full size lifeboats, to lube oil, to main engine parts, I want to say a full engine, to spare uniforms and china. Its over by the airport and they are talking about building a bigger bldg, on airport property for tax reasons.

Spokavegas
11-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Our friends that are scheduled to embark on the Splendor next Sat said that Carnival has said that its not looking likely that their cruise will sail. So sad for them---it's their THANKSGIVING!! Now they'll be in Long Beach....eating at Mimi's Cafe instead of somewhere along the Mexican Rivieria? :sad1:

Carnival rep said that the Splendor may have to go to dry dock before going out again, but they're not 100% sure.

Hope things work out for them.....two weeks full of cruise passengers disappointed- half of them with Thanksgiving plans ruined......

justmestace
11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
This is a question one of my kids asked me, and I honestly don't know the answer....so help me out, guys...

How are the key cards to the stateroom doors operated? Is it electrical....or does the magnetic strip just trip something else magnetic in the door?

MarkRG
11-12-2010, 12:50 AM
This is a question one of my kids asked me, and I honestly don't know the answer....so help me out, guys...

How are the key cards to the stateroom doors operated? Is it electrical....or does the magnetic strip just trip something else magnetic in the door?

There's a 9v battery in every door to power the locks. Your room key is programmed to the door's unique code, the only issue would be for anyone who had a bad keycard.

MarkRG
11-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Our friends that are scheduled to embark on the Splender next Sat said that Carnival has said that its not looking likely that their cruise will sail. So sad for them---it's their THANKSGIVING!! Now they'll be in Long Beach....eating at Mimi's Cafe instead of somewhere along the Mexican Rivieria? :sad1:

Carnival rep said that the Splendor may have to go to dry dock before going out again, but they're not 100% sure.

Hope things work out for them.....two weeks full of cruise passengers disappointed- half of them with Thanksgiving plans ruined......

Yep. :(

justmestace
11-12-2010, 01:04 AM
There's a 9v battery in every door to power the locks. Your room key is programmed to the door's unique code, the only issue would be for anyone who had a bad keycard.

Thanks! Jordan wondered if everyone got locked out of their room on the Splendor, and I honestly have never given any thought to how the locks work.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
11-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Yeah it's definitely battery on the Magic. Our stateroom host noticed it was "yellow" instead of green when she scanned the card to come in and had someone come out and replace the battery saying yellow means the battery was almost dead. LOL

This was all very sad. I know there are worst things in the world than your vacation ruined but gosh I'd rather a cancelled vacation (for whatever reasons) than this. Stinky toilets, can't bathe- and I can't even imagine how people did anything in their rooms if they had inside rooms. I imagine walking around using my iphone as a flashlight but even that would die soon enough without being able to charge it up. Did they have flashlights?
Spam wouldn't kill me, I mean it's not the best thing in the world but I could live with it. If I had to wait 2+ hours in line for poptarts, spam and wilted lettuce salads (according to some videos I've watched where passengers mentioned this) I think I'd be hoarding food on plates too! I mean geesh.... that's some long lines for food like that. I don't want even wanna wait that long in line for the best desserts available on Magic! :sad2:

I think I'd take my vacation -thanksgiving or not- cancelled ahead of time than deal with that for a few days on a ship. Stinky + fed spam/poptarts/etc + the free liquor I've read about + no electricity = um no fun for a lot of people. I'm glad they are all okay though.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-12-2010, 03:59 AM
Yesterday on the Today Show they interviewed the parents of honeymooners onboard! What a BUMMER honeymoon experience. Great stories to tell later though. :rotfl: They also reported that the sewage was backing up and there as no hot water at all or communication capabilities. :scared1:

I think the compensation they are offering of full reimbursement, travel expenses AND a free cruise in the future is fair. However, I can see everyone's point about the vacation time. If you only get 7-10 vacation days a year, then you just saved up this year's time to take this trip and basically ended up with a survival experience ;) That would be very frustrating. And if you already have your vacation plans for next year, then where would you fit in this future cruise? Very unfortunate and I feel for them all.

We had (what comparibly are VERY MINOR) issues on our honeymoon cruise on the Carnival Destiny in 1998. On our return, I had called our TA to ask why we got a disabled stateroom..blah blah blah (don't want to type the whole story as it now seems petulant in comparison). Anyway--our TA ended up contacting Carnival and they had sent us $250 for dinner and a coupon off of a future cruise. While not a free cruise...the coupon was valid for any booking in the next 18 months. My mom had won a cruise the following year and it was similar. Important to note--both were good for any cruise worldwide. So I would guess that folks could use the voucher at their convenience on any similar itinerary or smaller anywhere for even past next Thanksgiving.

At least in our experience--when Carnival aims to make something right...they do all they can to make it so. Even if you don't wish to sail on them again--we didn't sail with them until 2007.

As a side note--there happened to be a grouP of 250 magicians on board for a convention. They entertained passengers.

This cruise surely gives new meaning to the theme song from Gilligan's Island.

belle'ssister
11-12-2010, 04:36 AM
My husband and I were on the Splendor last Thanksgiving. On that cruise our ship "bumped into" :scared1: the RCCL Radience as we were heading into Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan, I actually can't remember which it was, maybe because I'm writing this at 1:30am, can't sleep.

Later as we were heading back to Long Beach and were several hours out to sea we turned around and went back to Cabo to take our sick captain,(we were told he had a heart attack). This put us 6 hours late getting back to port.

Carnival was great about helping people get in touch with their airlines to change the flights they were going to miss. We ended up getting on our flight 5 minutes before they were shutting the doors.

The crew put out a wonderful lunch buffet for us and had extra activies and a football game on the pool deck jumbotron to keep people occupied.

Our little adventure was NOTHING compared to this week's trip. Carnival really stepped up with the compensation the passengers are getting and the way they are taking care of the crew that will be staying in San Diego. Good PR on their part and definately the RIGHT THING TO DO.

truck1
11-12-2010, 07:50 AM

I know thats on the Disney ships, but are the Carnival doors the same way? last time I was on a Carnival ship, and this was a few years ago, the key card had several holes punched in to them, and that opened the doors. There was a separte card to get on and off the ship.

MarkRG
11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I know thats on the Disney ships, but are the Carnival doors the same way? last time I was on a Carnival ship, and this was a few years ago, the key card had several holes punched in to them, and that opened the doors. There was a separte card to get on and off the ship.

Welp. having not have been on a Carnival ship personally, I wouldn't know what kind of card key they use, but all of the card style locks are self-powered, on ship or on land. The place I work for has an after hours pickup system that uses coded locks, I wound up having a chat with the lock supplier about how those kind of locks work. The only kind of door lock that isn't self powered are the buzz though doors and that's because the part doing the unlocking is in the wall, not the door.

Now it's possible Carnival's don't use any power at all and the punches actually do some kind of tumbler unlocking, which would still unlock the door with the ship out of power.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-12-2010, 11:39 AM

When we sailed in 2007--the cards seemed similar to Disney. We used then for onboard purchases, boarding, and unlocking our room.

justmestace
11-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Cruised Carnival last January and going again this January. The key card was the same as DCL's....only one card for everything.

justmestace
11-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Welp. having not have been on a Carnival ship personally, I wouldn't know what kind of card key they use, but all of the card style locks are self-powered, on ship or on land. The place I work for has an after hours pickup system that uses coded locks, I wound up having a chat with the lock supplier about how those kind of locks work. The only kind of door lock that isn't self powered are the buzz though doors and that's because the part doing the unlocking is in the wall, not the door.

Now it's possible Carnival's don't use any power at all and the punches actually do some kind of tumbler unlocking, which would still unlock the door with the ship out of power.

Nope...you answered me correctly. I would have known from my last Carnival cruise if they used that tumbler system.

truck1
11-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Cruised Carnival last January and going again this January. The key card was the same as DCL's....only one card for everything.

I dont know if it makes a difference, I was on the Imagination and the Senastion. Could very well be that they were upgraded.

truck1
11-13-2010, 12:15 AM

If I remember correctly, there was no light indicator, on the ships I was on. Im thinking at that time at least, they were a tumbler type.

justmestace
11-13-2010, 12:20 AM
If I remember correctly, there was no light indicator, on the ships I was on. Im thinking at that time at least, they were a tumbler type.

The friends I'm traveling with this January are going to think I'm nutty, because I'm going to be studying the lock on the door now!! ;)

MarkRG
11-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Followup: Carnival cancels voyages on Splendor through January(USA Today) (http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/carnival-splendor-cruise-ship-fire-canceled-january-/131403/1)

Still no details on what kind of damage it sustained, kind of doubt we'll ever really know, but two months of downtime isn't something to be taken lightly.

dursin
11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Followup: Carnival cancels voyages on Splendor through January(USA Today) (http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/carnival-splendor-cruise-ship-fire-canceled-january-/131403/1)

Still no details on what kind of damage it sustained, kind of doubt we'll ever really know, but two months of downtime isn't something to be taken lightly.
Wow...that's must have been some fire to take the ship out of commission for two months. Interested to hear exactly what they'll need to be repairing. Nice that they are giving everyone who was booked on these cruises the 25% discount on a future cruise.

Spokavegas
11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
And from their website:

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR TO BE OUT OF SERVICE UNTIL JANUARY 16, 2011, FOR REPAIRS

Miami - November 16, 2010 11am

Carnival Cruise Lines has cancelled voyages of the Carnival Splendor through the departure of January 9, 2011, to allow time for repairs following an engine room fire last week. The ship is scheduled to re-enter service on January 16, 2011.

Guests who were scheduled to sail on these voyages will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a 25 percent discount on a future cruise.

Carnival Splendor was towed to San Diego following the fire which occurred off the Mexican coast on November 8. A team from the U.S. Coast Guard, NTSB and flag authorities, along with Carnival's engineers and technicians, is currently on board investigating the cause of the fire. Carnival personnel are being assisted by representatives of the shipyard that built the vessel and other manufacturers of engine room components in assessing damage and necessary repairs.

"We realize how much guests look forward to their vacations and know that they are very disappointed by this news. We too are disheartened that we are not able to fulfill the dreams of those who have entrusted us with their important vacation plans. We sincerely apologize to everyone who was scheduled to sail on these cancelled voyages and look forward to welcoming them aboard in the future. Now that we have a full technical team engaged in the assessment, we wanted to provide this information as quickly as possible," said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO.

Carnival is contacting travel agents and guests on the affected sailings and providing assistance in finding alternate cruises. Travel agent commissions on the cancelled sailings will be protected.

I'm sure that one of the biggest clean up issues aside from the fire is a result from so many of the toilets backing up......I can imagine that some major damage happened as a result of things sitting there for days like that before repair.....

Our friends were supposed to embark THIS SATURDAY. No Thanksgiving in Mazatlan for them as planned.... :sad1:

I'm

robinb
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Here is a link to the Cruise Director's blog: http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/11/12/smoke-on-the-water-part-1/#more-16333 . It's a little immature in places but an interesting read so far ...

dursin
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Here is a link to the Cruise Director's blog: http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/11/12/smoke-on-the-water-part-1/#more-16333 . It's a little immature in places but an interesting read so far ...
Been reading it every day...he's very entertaining!

pxlbarrel
11-16-2010, 01:49 PM

It's extremely interesting!!! Thanks

smeecanada
11-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Only one word can summarize this blog. WOW.

Kudos to Carnival crew, and the company. They have handled this incident with upmost professional.

noladave
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Electrical... finished, finished, finished...

With electrical systems and computers so intertwined these days, I can see why they will need until January to fix this.

Add to that the engine(s) that might need to be replaced, in addition to any cosmetics that might have been ruined by sewage.....

Man what a mess!!!

joksten2000
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Hopefully we'll get a second report from the cruise director.

andrewsmommy
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
They are all there - 5 of them I think - there is a link to the next one at the bottom of the first.

princess aleya
11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
:scared1:

MTmomma
11-17-2010, 05:34 PM
The CD posted pictures as well, like 98 of them?

MarkRG
12-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Just an update for the curious- they've now canceled through mid February.

They have discovered 'Additional Issues'... I'm now starting to agree with TvGuy, the possibility is certainly there that this was some kind of design failure.