PDA

View Full Version : How to get from MCO to Port without renting a car?

*pixie*
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
In the past, when going to WDW and then on our last cruise, we have always used the Disney transfers. We realize that they cost much more, but for us, avoiding the hassle of driving ourselves made it worth it. This time, we are doing a 7 night cruise. We plan on flying in the day before the cruise and then going to PC for a day at the Space Center and then staying at a hotel.

Are there any shuttles that will take you from the airport to your hotel in PC? And, do any of the PC hotels have shuttles to the Space Center? And, then, will the hotel shuttle us to the port in the morning?

Or, do I just give in and rent a car and deal with the hassle of having to return it. And start preparing now for arguments between me and DH as we try to find our way around Florida on our own:lmao:

KKKKCS
11-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Disney has a shuttle service you can purchase. There are also private companies that do the same thing. We used a private service and had a great experience with them, very punctual and less expensive than Disney. Wish I could remember the name. You can do a search for Port Canaveral shuttle or Orlando cruise shuttle to find them.

mmouse37
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
There is no regularly scheduled shuttle that goes from the airport to the port. A taxi will run you about $100. The DCL bus is $35 pp one way and only travels on cruise days. A private car service will take you from MCO to port hotel and you can get a hotel at the port that has shuttles to the ship (Radisson, Country Inn and Suites and the Marriott Residence Inn.

Your best bet is either a private car service or for most flexibiity a rental car.

MJ

Shelly F - Ohio
11-08-2010, 07:47 PM
We rented a car at the airport and used Budget. Returned the car to the Budget location a few miles from the port. Then budget shuttled us to the ship. When the cruise was over we rented another car from budget. Budget pick us up at the ship. Total cost including gas $55.00 roundtrip.

*pixie*
11-09-2010, 12:19 AM
We rented a car at the airport and used Budget. Returned the car to the Budget location a few miles from the port. Then budget shuttled us to the ship. When the cruise was over we rented another car from budget. Budget pick us up at the ship. Total cost including gas $55.00 roundtrip.

Okay, I knew renting a car would be cheaper, but I had no idea that much cheaper! I also talked to someone tonight who had taken her family to the space center. She said her kids (ages 5th through 10th grade) had no interest in it whatsoever and she wouldn't spend the money to take them again.

So, now I'm not only rethinking renting a car, but even going to the space center!

KSDisneyDad
11-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Our 3 boys loved the space center and could have spent more time there. Granted, our kids like museums as well.

As far as renting a car- we find it very hassle free. We've never found the price as low as $55 roundtrip but we are a family of 5 that needs a minivan for us and our luggage. We typically spend between $50 and $75 one-way for a minivan rental. It is still a lot cheaper than $350 roundtrip on the DCL bus. Plus we can stop for a case of water and some alcohol to carry onboard.

The DIS has a great discount code with Budget. It's found under the transportation page at wdwinfo.com. You can also search for discount codes at mousesavers.

We have also done a private car service and it worked out. It just isn't as inexpensive or as flexible as renting a car. Even if you don't go to the Space Center you might want to visit a different spot in the Beach, go eat at a restaurant to watch the cruise ships leave, go to Manatee park, shop etc

trasor
11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Regarding Kennedy Space Center, contact your Congressman or Senator and you can get free tickets. I was just there last week with my 4 and 6 year olds and I was glad I did not pay for the tickets. Even from an adult view I did not enjoy it as much as I though I would. With free tickets though, it was worth the trip.

*pixie*
11-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Regarding Kennedy Space Center, contact your Congressman or Senator and you can get free tickets. I was just there last week with my 4 and 6 year olds and I was glad I did not pay for the tickets. Even from an adult view I did not enjoy it as much as I though I would. With free tickets though, it was worth the trip.

Good to know! I'm starting to lean towards staying at WDW and hitting the Magic Kingdom for a day. I know it will cost a small fortune for a small amount of time, but I just don't know that I can be that close and not go.

Of course, I have 18+ months to figure out all these details:rolleyes: