PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Guilty

disneymagicgirl
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I think my DH and I are going to travel on the Dream w/o our kids. We took them on the Magic and our middle child was 18mths at the time. It was miserable on sea days. There was just not enough for him to do. He is very active.
So our upcoming trip is for m 30th bday and we want to get away by ourselves. I feel bad to leave them home, but the baby will be at that 18 mth age and we do not want a repeat of the last cruise. We are going to book onboard for a 2012 cruise and they will come with us on that one.

Who has done DCL w/o your kids. Did you feel bad the entire time, or were you able to enjoy yourselves?

Dicecatt
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
DH and I have done DCL with kids and without. While we never had a miserable time with them (ours are older than yours:) we greatly enjoy what DCL has to offer for adults. We spent 11 nights on the Magic and also a 3 day on the Wonder without the kids, and it was delightful.

Sure, we missed them. Sure, we envisioned them everywhere on the ship! But we also got to experience a lot that we never got to do with them...the clubs, the adult only areas, spa. Those are things squeezed in when we have them with us, and we got to really enjoy.

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
We haven't gotten to do this yet, but given the chance, I would do it in a heartbeat with no guilt! :thumbsup2

KSDisneyDad
11-08-2010, 11:29 AM
This is a topic where you'll get lots of responses either way.

Regardless of what anyone else thinks, you have to do what's right for you and your family. If you won't be able to relax and enjoy yourself with your kids at home, then I'd recommend not going.

BTW - we have gone to WDW and have cruised without the kids and enjoyed the trips so it is possible.

mainstreetmagic
11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I would NEVER go without my child, but that's just me. To me, it's not a vacation without my family.

You have to do what feels right and comfortable to you and your family, as someone else posted above.

Scrappy_Tink
11-08-2010, 12:17 PM
It's amazing how much difference the opinions would be if you changed the words from "Vacation" to "2nd Honeymoon" LOL!!

I think every married couple need some time to themselves....as long as the kids are safe and happy, I say go for it!! :hug:

disneymagicgirl
11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the opinions! I think we need the time away as a couple. The kids are certainly not deprived of Disney vacations. We go every year and they will get the chance at another cruise in 2012. :goodvibes

MrsMunchie
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
We celebrated our 10th anniversary on a Disney cruise, without the kids. We had a wonderful time and our kids were happy that we were able to have "grown-up time" together. We've taught them from an early age that parents need time alone every once in while to keep the family strong. But as many others have said, it's a very personal decision. Only you know what's right for you. If you do choose to go, which I highly recommend, have a wonderful time!

bullsmom7
11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
We did a 3-day without the kids (1 and 4 at the time). It was a bit weird and we missed them. Like another person said you envision them on the ship and tend to watch the other kids and think of yours. But, we LOVED it!!! We did get to enjoy more of the adult only perks (especially on Castaway Cay). Also we had a table for 6 at dinner of adults only. had great conversation and met up with them throughout the weekend too. We told our 4 year old that mommy and daddy needed some time alone, but we never told her where we went. She would have been heart broken. So go and enjoy. :thumbsup2

collectoraholic
11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
My husband and I have done more Disney cruises just the two of us than we've done w/ our girls. *truestory* & We don't regret going w/o them. They may grumble, but we do it anyway & they know that we need our time alone as just a couple and they really do understand that need. So I say go and have fun and try not to feel guilty.

HappyontheLake
11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
My husband and I go on trips without the kids all the time (we have even gone to south of France without them -- much to the dismay of our oldest daughter). We go to bowl games without them every year, we have talked about cruising without them ... just haven't done it yet. We were going to go to Hong Kong Disney on our own this year but couldn't make the flights work for me on points (his would have been on the corporate dime on the tail end of a business trip ... we would have just paid for the hotel stay in Hong Kong, his flight was connecting there).

I would love to do a Disney Cruise without the kids, but they would literally kill us. Our kids are old enough that we hardly see them on the ship.

I support you in your grown up only vacation. You have many more Disney Cruises in your future, when the baby can go to the clubs!

Luckymomoftwo
11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
We have done two cruises without our kids, four with and one before we had any kids at all! :goodvibes The most recent one we did without the kids was a 4 night on the DVC 2010 SS Member Cruise. It was to celebrate my 40th b-day and our 15th wedding anniversary. I was excited in all the planning, but as the date came closer I started feeling so guilty about leaving the kids home. Once I was actually on the ship and enjoying ADULT time just me and DH, I didn't have any regrets leaving the kids home. They were well cared for, didn't miss school, and they enjoyed spending time with their aunt and grandma while we were gone. Don't feel guilty about leaving your kids at home, you are celebrating a milestone b-day and lots of parents go on vacation without their kids.