PDA

View Full Version : Worried that we will be out of luck for Palo on our 7 Day Western Magic cruise

Luvstocruise
11-07-2010, 05:16 PM
From all this talk about it being impossible for many DCL cruisers getting Palo reservations on the DREAM, what about people's experience on the Magic.
Since our cruise is the week of Feb 5th, while I have paid in full already, I have to wait for our Nov 22nd date to book Palo on line. I am getting worried that half the ship is Silver/Gold/Platinum class DCL cruisers and us "steerage class first timers" will be completely screwed out of getting a reservation at Palo or reservations at other things.

Two questions are then:

1. I am beginning to have some concerns also that booking anything at 75 days will be just a waste of time, though I may try to do online at say 12:30 AM that day to see if I can get something other than a ridiculous time like 9 at night for supper. I would be willing to eat supper as early as 5 to 5:30 PM if need be, and that would make sure we would not miss the show that night.

2. From many threads, it appears that there are many repeat DCL cruisers, even as much as 25% of the ship at any given time?? Just wondering.

Some thoughts on these questions??

Thanks in advance for any inpot,
Luvstocruise

newbydisney
11-07-2010, 05:30 PM
You are going to get what you want..if you cannot get anything on line once on Board ( board early if you can) proceed directly to Rockin Bar D..or where they tell you to go.( just in case something changes before then you can check with just about anyone..there will plenty of CM's to assist you as soon as you board)..anyway go there and even if they cannot get what you want they will waitlist you and you will get something close...but I predist you will get exactly what you want....relax and enjoy..there is a bit of a learnng curve and we were lucky to meet up with some folks before the cruise that were experienced cruisers...be sure to get on your meet thread where you will no doubt find some other new folks and some experienced ones too.

:cloud9:

Sarabi's Cubs
11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I am in the same boat for my upcoming 5 nt on the Magic and recently hit my 75 day booking window, and this is what I experienced. All of the Palo reservations on the 2nd and 4th nts were taken. There was alot of availability on the first and last nights and early on the 3d night. Brunch was not available at all. So we were able to book dinner although not exactly at the time we wanted, which is fine.:thumbsup2 A few of the most popular shore excursions (dolphin excursions) were booked and spa appointments (esp for sea day) seemed to go very quickly that day. However, some of them have opened up since that day. I'm looking forward to having a longer booking window next time.

Laurie

newbydisney
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Someone just posted a recent Navigator for this cruise and it says to go to Studio Sea upon boarding to make or modify ressies. just a heads up!

Luvstocruise
11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks NewbyDisney and Sarabi's Cubs,
I guess I will have to take my chances!
Luvstocruise

clawmachine
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
We're going on a 7 day Western in January and last night at midnight was the 75-day window start time (this is our first time on DCL). When I logged on there were 4 or so brunch times available and at least 8 or 10 dinner times too! This is a Kids Sail Free cruise as well. Tea was full but that's it. Hopefully you'll have good luck for Feb too!

all5ofus
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
It is usually no problem on the 7 day because of so many more opportunities than the shorter cruises.

llnolte
11-08-2010, 02:53 PM
For our October 16th cruise, I was able to get a dinner reservation online but really wanted brunch, which were all gone. I kept checking back everyday but nothing opened up.

I got to the port early, went to Studio Sea (where they were doing ressies for my cruise) and was able to get a Brunch reservation. I even had two days to choose from and several different times to choose from . Everyone in line with me was getting dinner and brunch reservations since they couldn't or didn't get them online. No one had a problem. But you need to get there early enough.

I was even able to change the time for our spa reservation when online had nothing.

cmclaura
11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Our first cruise was a 3 day on the Wonder and we had no problems getting a Palo ressie. Since then, we only had a problem once getting a tea time; when we got on the boat, we were able to get a booking for 8 of us from these boards, so there's safety in numbers, lol!

BealsRwe
11-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Keep checking the website as availability changes around. We just moved a cruise around from a 4 night on Nov 28, 2010, to the day before, a 7 night cruise. There was no Palo available at the time we switched our dates this morning, but tonight I checked, and I was able to book a ressie at Palo. We will look to book brunch while onboard. I have not had a problem getting ressies onboard before because there usually are even cancellations during the cruise. Good luck, and have fun!

magic458
11-20-2011, 09:43 PM
I am on this cruise with you so don't take my Palo time :)

I am j use going to get mine done in the morning.

married@wdw
11-21-2011, 10:12 AM
We were on the 10/29 Western-turned-Eastern and we heard from several couples that they were eating dinner in Palo more than once, and I chatted with a woman who was one of 8 adults and convinced her to try to get in on our Thursday sea day -- they easily got a same day reservation for their party of 8. I think with 7-night cruises it's not nearly as hard to get a spot in Palo once on board.

We did dinner, brunch and tea on that cruise and there were tables still available at all three -- and all three were amazing!

Stinkerbe11
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
If you can't make it to the ressie desk after boarding, go to Palo when it opens for dinner and speak to the Maitre d'. We were able to book dinner several days into our last cruise because people change their mind and cancel while onboard.

jcarwash
11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
As a first-time cruiser earlier this year (7 day eastern Magic) I had no trouble at all getting a Palo dinner I wanted at the 75 day-mark. I did stay up until midnight ET to get something as soon as I could, but I also saw many available slots to choose from.

sissy_ib
11-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm going on a 7 night in January as a first time cruiser and Palo was available every night at the 75 day mark. Brunch and tea were sold out but no problem with dinner.

mrp4352
11-21-2011, 11:39 AM
We were on the 11/5 7-night Magic. I booked the cruise about a month out, so I couldn't get a Palo on line. However, I went straight to Rockin' Bar D once we were on the ship and got a brunch and dinner - and for both there were many options for dates/times.

And if you go to brunch, have the gorgonzola and grape flatbread for me!!:thumbsup2

kcashner
11-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Back to OP...

On a "normal" DCL cruise, 25-35% of the guests are usually repeaters. In special cruises (like the Trans-Atlantic), this goes much higher.

As to getting Palo--try at 75 days. Most of the time on a 7 night cruise, dinner is available. It is MUCH harder on 3 and 4 night cruises as there are more guests and fewer slots.

If you cannot get Palo in advance, go to the place designated for "Palo Reservations" in the Welcome Aboard Navigator. I've seen this held in Rockin Bar D, Sessions, and Studio Sea--check the Navigator for location. 50% of the reservations are never made available on line, so there is a good chance that you can get a confirmed reservation at that time. If not, ask to be waitlisted. People do cancel, and they'll call you if they can give you a slot.

Dinner is fairly easy to get. Tea and brunch are harder as there are fewer slots.

No one will be give 2 Palo dinners until at least the second day--the idea is to let everyone have a chance at one first. On day 2, they will start working thru the wait list and then allowing extra seatings for guests who request them. They want to fill the place!

SO...yes, try on line at 75 days, and keep trying periodically up to your cruise date--again, people cancel in advance! And then try after boarding. There is a very good chance that you'll get your reservation.