PDA

View Full Version : Flight time home

harrowgirl
11-06-2010, 11:05 PM
The website says we shouldn't book flights before 12:30. There is a 12:00 flight and a 1:55 flight home. We are travelling with a 2 1/2 year old, and a 7 month old. I'm wondering if we should chance booking the noon flight, or if we should stick with the Disney guideline. I'm obviously dont' want to mess up our flight home, but am nervous about getting to the airport at 11am, and having to wait for 3 hours to board a flight with two babies.

Thoughts?

scamper45
11-06-2010, 11:18 PM
i have made a 11:00 flight before. it also depends on what transportation u r using? we have never used disney b4 either had a car or used a private service.

tigger2on
11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I think with lil' kiddies, I would take the 1:55 in case of delays. Then you are also NOT rushed. We always book a flight 1pm onwards.

Cmbar
11-06-2010, 11:32 PM
We saw people getting off the ship at 7am so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make that time if you had the right transportation set up. Maybe a towncar so you were sure they would be there when you got off the ship. You will have to forgo breakfast that morning. Things got crowded after 8am this morning. We ate breakfast at 7am, got off the ship around 8:30am and had our rental car and on the road to the airport around 9:30. We wouldn't have felt comfortable about having a noon flight though because by the time we gased up the car and returned it and checked our baggage it was close to noon.

One other option is to take your time getting off the ship. They serve breakfast until 8:30 so take your time getting off the ship. Getting to the airport will take time no matter what option. It is at minimum a 45 drive and if you have to drop off a car, or wait on the bus there is no telling how much control you will have about when you get to the airport. Our servers told us to relax since some of us were driving home and we had a later flight.

Remember too, Orlando airport is servicing all of Disney World and three cruise ships were deboarding this morning. The airport lines were long for checkin (southwest) and security. You have to allow for that in your time frame estimates. Obviously Saturday mornings are busy because off the cruise traffic.

Good luck on your decision. Have a magical cruise too!!!

mushu756
11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Back in august we had a 2:05pm flight and my son was a little over 2 and 1/2 (full of energy to the extreme) and it was pure torture waiting around the airport with him. If I remember correctly we got to the airport around 10:30 or so ( no later than 11 mcdonalds was still serving breakfast in the airport) and trying to keep him occupied was mental torture. I'm sure it's better to be early than late. Good luck with your decision. I know how hard it is to travel with a 2 and 1/2 year, couldn't imagine doing it with 2 children:eek:. Also we took dcl bus to airport.

tvguy
11-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I think with lil' kiddies, I would take the 1:55 in case of delays. Then you are also NOT rushed. We always book a flight 1pm onwards.

Exactly. With the 1:55 pm flight you can feed them some lunch before the flight, and just maybe, they'll sleep on the flight.

paceyswife
11-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I'd opt with the later flight. We did WDW last year with a 14 mo and 4 yr old and with Magical Express we were at the airport waiting for close to three hours. I did bring a portable DVD player and the ever helpful Benedryl which then made the flight bearable (naptime before plane even took off)! Our return flight home in Feb after our cruise is at 1:30. Hoping that it will be easier this year as boys will now be almost 3 and almost 6 and hoping that Southwest will be participating in the onboard check in so we can disembark leisurely and take our time to getting to MCO.

amjgale
11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
We just got off the Magic on 10/30. Disney had us really paranoid about rushing to get our 1:10 flight. We were extra worried bc we have a 13 month old. But, we got to the airport and through security and could have made a 1040 flight. It was kind of a bummer bc we were stuck at the airport for awhile, but better save than sorry! We flew Southwest too, so their line was long, but moved really fast.

grits98
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Take the earlier flight!!!!! We have cruised every year since our daughter was born (she's now 6) and we now have another child two years younger than her. We always take our time getting off the ship and have ALWAYS gotten to the airport by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. Whenever we have later flights, the kids end up getting bored and tired from hanging out at the airport. I would especially encourage you to take the early flight if you're participating in the on-board check-in. All you have to do is get through security and you're set!

tvguy
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Take the earlier flight!!!!! We have cruised every year since our daughter was born (she's now 6) and we now have another child two years younger than her. We always take our time getting off the ship and have ALWAYS gotten to the airport by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. Whenever we have later flights, the kids end up getting bored and tired from hanging out at the airport. I would especially encourage you to take the early flight if you're participating in the on-board check-in. All you have to do is get through security and you're set!

I respectfully, and strongly disagree based on our experience at Orlando. We were at the airport at 10:15 am, had our boarding pass in hand and had lined up for security by 10:30 am. 90 minutes later we cleared the metal detectors and literally walked onto our 12:35 pm flight.
What you have to be aware of is Orlando has a reputation for slow security, my Travel Agent says her resources list it as an airport to be at 3 hours before flight time.
Both my kids had been on 80 flights before their 10th birthdays, the LAST thing you want to have to deal with is a missed flight with young children.

TDC Nala
11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I would guess that waiting in the airport with babies would be preferable to possibly missing the flight and having to arrange another flight goodness knows when with babies, or running into a very long security line and then having to arrange to rush through and run to the gate with babies.

cseca
11-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I agree with PPs that going with an earlier flight would be easier (less waiting at the airport). BUT it all depends on how quickly you can get off the boat and also how much you want to drag your luggage by yourself. I think DCL specifies that if you have flights before xx:xx time you have to get your luggages off yourself because they can't guarantee them to get to the airport ontime.

We opted for a 2pm ourselves, just because we don't want to have to struggle with luggages and a baby.

If it was just us 2 adults, I would pick 12pm in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

grits98
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Both my kids had been on 80 flights before their 10th birthdays, the LAST thing you want to have to deal with is a missed flight with young children.

LOL! Thanks to DH being in the military, I think my daughter hit the 80-flights milemarker before her 5th birthday! So far, no missed flights, but I've probably doomed us by writing that! :rotfl2:

Shelly F - Ohio
11-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I would take the later flight. All it takes is one mishap ie: car accident, a delay getting off the ship, bad weather that could slow down your commute to the airport and walla you have missed your flight.
Why be rushed to get there. Take the later flight.