PDA

View Full Version : ? from 1st time cruiser for Disney Fantasy in 2012-Eastern or Western Caribbean(more)

1vbosu1
11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Looking to go in June 2012. Have a son that will be 13 and a daughter 10, plus my wonderful hubbie. Which of these 7 day cruises would you go with based on your experiences or thoughts? Thanks in advance!

3luv2travel
11-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Let me first say that I have never cruised before. We had the same dilemma....eastern or western?? We are a family of three (DH, DD (will be 13), and me). Most reviews that I read state the Eastern cruise is better for the beaches, shopping, and extra sea day. We, however, chose the Western cruise for several reasons:

1) we wanted to tour some ruin sites as we think this is more educational (for all of us!) Tulum ruins seem nice in Cozumel but transportation is LONG and the site is HOT (no shade). Costa Maya has a nice site or two but don't know if the time at port will allow a visit. We will do what it takes to see authentic Mayan ruins.

2) we wanted to cruise early in the month and the Western was the first date we could make with school schedules (and it was several hundred $$ less than the Eastern cruise the following week)

3) I am worried about sea sickness. From what I've been reading, traveling East means more open-ocean time so possibly rougher seas

Just my thoughts! Again, I'm a total newbie but I have been learning from other DIS'ers for months now!

disneycruisegal
11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
We did the Tulum ruins in Oct of 2008, and has a wonderful time. I didn't think the travel time was over the top, a short boat ride to the main land, then a bus trip with a bathroon break and some shopping. The ruins were
amazing, unfortunatley it rained when we were there, but no worries it was still amazing although we skipped the stairs down to the beach because of the weather.