PDA

View Full Version : I am now very nervous about my Janaury Cruise

AverysMommy
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I have booked a cruise for January 2011......Should I be totally nervous that all the staff will be brand new as all the experienced staff will be on the Dream?

I have seen notes that Brent is still on Magic but is he moving to Dreams? Will they take all their best for their new "best in class" ships?

I am starting to really think that I might have made a big mistake - I dont have money to throw aroudn on cruises that arent going to be up to Disney Standards.

Lee Matthews
11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Im joining the dream as a new Server. From what im told. 1/3 of the Wonder servers and 1/3 of the Magic servers are moving to the Dream, so most servers will still be experienced ones

first timers
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I have booked a cruise for January 2011......Should I be totally nervous that all the staff will be brand new as all the experienced staff will be on the Dream?

I have seen notes that Brent is still on Magic but is he moving to Dreams? Will they take all their best for their new "best in class" ships?

I am starting to really think that I might have made a big mistake - I dont have money to throw aroudn on cruises that arent going to be up to Disney Standards.

DCL has had extra crew members onboard the Magic and Wonder from new Captains to servers to allow experienced staff to transfer to the Dream and have others stay on the Magic and Wonder. The other post is what we heard, 1/3 from each ship going to the Dream, which will means at least 2/3 of each crew will be experienced. Don't wory, be happy.

HallsofVA
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
They have been cross-training staff on both ships for months now, in order to ensure they can maintain the high caliber of service on all three ships. As mentioned above, roughly 1/3 of the staff on all 3 ships may be relatively new, but the number may be actually less than that, since our last 3 cruises in the past 9 months have seemed like there were more than the normal number of staff onboard.

AverysMommy
11-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Do staff know if htey are going over to Dream or not?

When do they switch over - I assume its before the first trip as they will need on-the-ship training?

Lee Matthews
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
As far as i know, cast who are moving to the dream already know. And we're all joining in roughly the 1st week of December

ILoveDisney&Cruising
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't wory, be happy.

:thumbsup2 ;)

lexlaw69
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Relax - you'll get your plate of food on time and your Disney Princess won't have a beard.

AverysMommy
11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=Lee Matthews;38842465]As far as i know, cast who are moving to the dream already know. And we're all joining in roughly the 1st week of December[/QUOTE

Were you selected or did you have to apply?

When I was on the Magic a few years ago - there was a great Cast Member that was a Social Director (or some title like that). My son (8 at the time) thought he was great. My son told me me that he wanted to grow up to do that same job as he thought this CM's job was to "make people happy".

I think his name was Brent or Brett. I know this is very vague and there are probably hundred or thousand of people on teh ship - but do you know who I might be referring to? and do you know if he is going to the dream? My son would be so happy that he is on the Magic.

Thanks

amjgale
11-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Brett was still on the magic as of 10/23!

Tngrl78
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Do staff know if htey are going over to Dream or not?

When we were on the Wonder in Sept, we asked some of the servers about that and they all knew whether they were moving or not. Some were excited about joining the Dream and others were excited about going to the West Coast and staying on the Wonder.

Lee Matthews
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Lee Matthews;38842465]As far as i know, cast who are moving to the dream already know. And we're all joining in roughly the 1st week of December[/QUOTE

Were you selected or did you have to apply?

When I was on the Magic a few years ago - there was a great Cast Member that was a Social Director (or some title like that). My son (8 at the time) thought he was great. My son told me me that he wanted to grow up to do that same job as he thought this CM's job was to "make people happy".

I think his name was Brent or Brett. I know this is very vague and there are probably hundred or thousand of people on teh ship - but do you know who I might be referring to? and do you know if he is going to the dream? My son would be so happy that he is on the Magic.

Thanks

I'm a brand new Cast Member joining. I've worked at EPCOT before but never Cruise Line so this is very new to me. I join the dream Directly in Amsterdam on Dec 2nd

MagicMe
11-05-2010, 03:28 PM

From my conversation with Yolande, Brent is remaining on the Magic. She will be on the Dream.

dursin
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
From my conversation with Yolande, Brent is remaining on the Magic. She will be on the Dream.
I had heard that Rachel will be the cruise director on the Dream. Saw her on GMA this morning during the segment on the Dream, so that would seem to be the case.

Which Yolande are you referring to? We had a head waiter by that name once and she was really great!

jrask
11-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Relax - you'll get your plate of food on time and your Disney Princess won't have a beard.

Well, obviously the Disney Princesses won't have a beard. Magically being transported from ship to ship does not cause spontaneous growth of facial hair.

Tinkerkell123
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Whew, that's a relief! Nothing like a hairy princess! :lmao:

[QUOTE=AverysMommy;38842989]

I'm a brand new Cast Member joining. I've worked at EPCOT before but never Cruise Line so this is very new to me. I join the dream Directly in Amsterdam on Dec 2nd

Good luck on your new position! Or should I say role?

AverysMommy
11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks to everyone's comments - we should be in good shape as the "new" magic crew will have been on their own since December so they should have things under control by end of January

AverysMommy
11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=AverysMommy;38842989]

So you go to Amsterdam on Dec 2nd - and then what? do you have onship training for a month and then do you get to be on the ship as it comes across the ocean? When does it sail over?

Lee Matthews
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
We know very little info so far. I've just got my start date and i believe i just train between then and maiden voyage and have the mini trips before hand as proper run throughs for serving guests.

disneycruisegal
11-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Good luck to you Lee! I'll be sailing on the Dream in April of 2011, maybe I'll see you real soon.

TiaMaria
11-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I had heard that Rachel will be the cruise director on the Dream. Saw her on GMA this morning during the segment on the Dream, so that would seem to be the case.

Which Yolande are you referring to? We had a head waiter by that name once and she was really great!

Yolande is a Head Waiter - and Brent's wife! :) They are 2 of the most wonderful CM's we have even encountered in the whole of Disney, IMO.

AverysMommy
11-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Yolande is a Head Waiter - and Brent's wife! :) They are 2 of the most wonderful CM's we have even encountered in the whole of Disney, IMO.

So his Brett will be on Magic but his wife will be on teh Dream?

Thats not good!

Cmbar
11-06-2010, 07:31 PM
We are just off the Magic this morning. Service was excellent. We were told all the servers that are going to the Magic have already been trained and off the ship. The staff we had should all be there in January and they are all wonderful. We finally had to stop asking if each person was going to the dream because none of them are. Some looked happy with it! Our head server Godwin said he was happy about staying on the Magic for now, but that the Magic will continue to do the Mediteranian which can be more difficult for the dining servers since there are more language barriers and food preferences from the Europeans. He prefers serving the Americans and the Chefs onboard serve food for Americans and they are more pleased than the Europeans. Thought that was funny. But he said all Disney Dream servers are trained and off the Magic ready to begin on the Dream! We didn't notice hardly any "earning my ears" staff on our cruise. Again the service was excellent across the board.:thumbsup2