PDA

View Full Version : Tipping for poor service

TKH
11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I hope this doesn't cause controversy, but I want some honest opinions! We experienced a truly poor server team on the Magic last week. We talked to the servers themselves, the head server, and guest services...nothing ever improved. The issues were numerous, and ranged from minor to quite significant. I won't get into many details because I'm not assessing the quality of the service, but rather want to know what you do with tipping when you perceive the service as quite poor. Do you still tip the recommended as these folks are trying to make a living, do you tip less, or do you give someone else, say a great stateroom host, more? My one example for our server...we asked after the first night that our baby not receive any plates/utensils since he's not old enough to eat and it's not safe/smart for him to handle real plates/forks/knives. The next night, he still had the place setting. My husband was seating our other kids and I was trying to remove the place setting, when the server grabbed my baby's legs and started pulling him into the high chair. I asked him to please stop, he said, "Oh, excellent service, you will get comment card" and continued to pull. The baby was crying and then refused to go into the high chair, I sat down holding him, he grabbed the plate to our left that was at his spot and dropped it. It broke. The server got visibly upset with the baby, clenched his jaw, complained about cleaning up sharp objects, and proceeded with the same scenario the next night. Argh. That's just one example, and I'll leave it with that. On our comment card we asked DCL to contact us, hopefully they will. But what do people really do about the tips? Thank you!
Note: We love DCL and will certainly cruise again. This was by far the exception to our previous experiences, and every other cast member was fabulous.

kimpossible
11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I hope this doesn't cause controversy, but I want some honest opinions! We experienced a truly poor server team on the Magic last week. We talked to the servers themselves, the head server, and guest services...nothing ever improved. The issues were numerous, and ranged from minor to quite significant. I won't get into many details because I'm not assessing the quality of the service, but rather want to know what you do with tipping when you perceive the service as quite poor. Do you still tip the recommended as these folks are trying to make a living, do you tip less, or do you give someone else, say a great stateroom host, more? My one example for our server...we asked after the first night that our baby not receive any plates/utensils since he's not old enough to eat and it's not safe/smart for him to handle real plates/forks/knives. The next night, he still had the place setting. My husband was seating our other kids and I was trying to remove the place setting, when the server grabbed my baby's legs and started pulling him into the high chair. I asked him to please stop, he said, "Oh, excellent service, you will get comment card" and continued to pull. The baby was crying and then refused to go into the high chair, I sat down holding him, he grabbed the plate to our left that was at his spot and dropped it. It broke. The server got visibly upset with the baby, clenched his jaw, complained about cleaning up sharp objects, and proceeded with the same scenario the next night. Argh. That's just one example, and I'll leave it with that. On our comment card we asked DCL to contact us, hopefully they will. But what do people really do about the tips? Thank you!
Note: We love DCL and will certainly cruise again. This was by far the exception to our previous experiences, and every other cast member was fabulous.

Although our head and regular server were okay, the assistant was truly awful. The other servers had to pick up the slack which could be why they were just average at their own jobs. We tipped the assistant less and tipped the other 2 more since they had to do his job.

Oh, we were on the same cruise...wonder if we shared the same servers ? (0;

AlexandNessa
11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Did you ask to move tables with different servers? That would be a long cruise to put up with very poor service every night.

If it was that bad, you are well within your right to tip less or not at all if your numerous attempts to address the issues were for naught.

We do not "redistribute" tips. We tip each person individually what we want to tip them; one person's tip has nothing to do with another person's, in our opinion. But that is just the way we handle it.

I wonder if these servers were very new. I know there is some shuffling going on with the Dream coming into the rotation, with many experienced crew leaving the Magic for the new ship.

Sorry you had a poor DR experience.

Evan&Kimberly
11-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I would have asked for another server, plain and simple a whole week of bad service can put a burden on your cruise; since you didn’t for another server then the tip would have reflected the service!

TKH
11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
We didn't let this ruin our cruise at all, so no worries there. By the end, we found some comedy in it. :laughing: I just wondered how people handle tipping; I feel this *obligation* to tip at least the recommended. I'm not sure if they are new...but we breathed a sigh of relief to know they aren't going to the Dream, where we'll cruise next year!

dursin
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
We didn't let this ruin our cruise at all, so no worries there. By the end, we found some comedy in it. :laughing: I just wondered how people handle tipping; I feel this *obligation* to tip at least the recommended. I'm not sure if they are new...but we breathed a sigh of relief to know they aren't going to the Dream, where we'll cruise next year!
If the service was that bad, they would have gotten either no tip or a significantly reduced one. Nothing to feel guilty about.

lborne
11-05-2010, 11:14 AM
IMO, that is exactly the reason for the tips - so that there is incentive for the staff and you can give more or less depending on service. Otherwise, Disney could do what Regent does and eliminate the tips, raise the cost of the cruise, and pay the staff more.

amjgale
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't know if this is true, but the people sitting at our table said that the servers only get paid $13 a week, so their income is fully tips. Does anyone know if this is true? Once she told me that, I felt that even if the service was bad (which it was not, thankfully) I would give the full amount.

outahere
11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't know if this is true, but the people sitting at our table said that the servers only get paid $13 a week, so their income is fully tips. Does anyone know if this is true? Once she told me that, I felt that even if the service was bad (which it was not, thankfully) I would give the full amount.

I'm not sure anyone has been able to confirm exactly what the servers are paid, but they do get the majority (probably 90+%) of their income from tips.

To the OP...... if I had experienced service that bad, and no one was able to correct it by the second night, I would not have tipped that server at all and would have made certain that it was on the comment card. Even though we enjoy having dinner in the dining rooms, if the service was that poor, we would have been eating at Topsiders every night that we could. I know you asked DCL to contact you, but I would suggest writing a letter, or an email, letting them know the specifics. They may, or may not, contact you because of the comment card.

Cruise
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm sorry, and it may seem harsh, but I would definitely not tip the full amount. By doing so, you're telling the server that you were fine with his performance...even after telling him you did or didn't want him to do certain things. And for the OP specifically, that you were fine with him manhandling your child after you'd specifically told him to quit doing so.

I would tip something since he did still serve us our dinners, but I honestly would see it as a disservice to his next guests if I let him think that kind of service is what earns a full tip. I would also make sure to comment as to why I wasn't tipping the full amount. He needs to be made aware of the problems so he can try to earn that full tip, if not more, on the next cruise.

To the OP - the only time we "shift" tips is when one directly effects the other which only happens in the dining room. For example, we usually overtip. One one cruise, our server was "okay," but our assistant server was really, really on the ball. To the point of doing some of the things I usually expect of the server. So the server got "just" the recommended amount, and the assistant server got double the recommended amount. On another cruise, the head server picked up some slack from both the server and assistant server. On that cruise, the server and assistant got the recommended amount, but the head server got well over the (small) recommended amount that the head server usually gets.

Lee Matthews
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm joining the Disney Dream next month to be a server and this is one thing that seriously scares me as i hate to think that i've spoiled someones trip.

Of course, when i've been on the ship a while and know 100% everything and can perform on my own then it will be cool, but it's getting through serving guests while learning.

BethC1952
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
. One one cruise, our server was "okay," but our assistant server was really, really on the ball. To the point of doing some of the things I usually expect of the server. So the server got "just" the recommended amount, and the assistant server got double the recommended amount. On another cruise, the head server picked up some slack from both the server and assistant server. On that cruise, the server and assistant got the recommended amount, but the head server got well over the (small) recommended amount that the head server usually gets.

We did the same thing (and probably on the same cruise--Hi Julie;)!).

Beth

szubieta
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm joining the Disney Dream next month to be a server and this is one thing that seriously scares me as i hate to think that i've spoiled someones trip.

Of course, when i've been on the ship a while and know 100% everything and can perform on my own then it will be cool, but it's getting through serving guests while learning.

No Worries!! When we have come across a NEW server in cruising or other places we try and encourage and help them to gain confidence while they're learning. I could be wrong but this sound like this was an experienced server that was lacking and should find other jobs and that surely happens.

TKH
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Oh, I wouldn't worry. We tried hard to politely help them understand, and would not have batted an eye if things had improved from there. We'd totally understand someone just learning, and often tip new people extra just for encouragement. When someone is really trying, that's different.

TKH
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
No Worries!! When we have come across a NEW server in cruising or other places we try and encourage and help them to gain confidence while they're learning. I could be wrong but this sound like this was an experienced server that was lacking and should find other jobs and that surely happens.

No, they won't be on for long. The other tables were having significant troubles with them as well. At times, they claimed to not know English!

Lee Matthews
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Phew, thanks. I Feel better now. I've worked in Epcot before so i've worked with the company before but Cruise Line is a BIG step up from the Parks i feel

lexlaw69
11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I think if the server/staff was overtly rude to you I would lower or not tip at all. But if you made many demands and they didn't remember you out of the other thousands of guests every week I don't think I would be as harsh as you were. Just because they are wearing a tuxedo/nice uniform doesn't mean that you are going to get the same service as you do at the Ritz, etc. - and I don't think you should expect that. I would have listed something on the comment card and given them the suggested tip.

Last, take care of your own silverware - they are there to serve you food along with hundreds of others in a quick turnaround while making it as enjoyable as possible. Its more upscale vegas buffet than fine dining. I've seen the utmost in snobbery and service expectations that would have made the Ritz Carlton say "get the hell out" - at times nearly borderline abusive. If you really wanted them to remember you I would have tipped them 10 or 20 bucks at the start and say "its really important to us that silverware is not there when my baby gets here - so please be sure to take care of us". But personally I would have just moved the silverware myself.

lmhall2000
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm much harsher than some of you, this is really what I would have done.

I would have written a simple note:

Just as you have explanation of benefits, you give them an explanation of tips.

Starting tip $150
Forgetting we had an infant and not removing utensils -$10
Continuing to pull my child's legs when I asked you not to -$10
Three nights not refilling our drinks -$10
Acting put out with us when child broke plate -$10

I really would list it like that, and I would copy it to management services...maybe it will save the next family at the table the same type of treatment...I would also list the things they did above and beyond (which sounds like they didn't) that offset some negatives...values I attributed are purely arbitrary, I think you'd be fine tipping nothing, but they did 'serve' you meals...so I think giving half shows they did half their job...

From friends who have worked as servers on ships, they are paid $3-5 per hour (some up to 60-80 hours a week)...so they are making something, after taxes about $500-800 a week perhaps, but they're certainly not making $13 a week....
Tara

autodoc
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I think if the server/staff was overtly rude to you I would lower or not tip at all. But if you made many demands and they didn't remember you out of the other thousands of guests every week I don't think I would be as harsh as you were. Just because they are wearing a tuxedo/nice uniform doesn't mean that you are going to get the same service as you do at the Ritz, etc. - and I don't think you should expect that. I would have listed something on the comment card and given them the suggested tip.

Last, take care of your own silverware - they are there to serve you food along with hundreds of others in a quick turnaround while making it as enjoyable as possible. Its more upscale vegas buffet than fine dining. I've seen the utmost in snobbery and service expectations that would have made the Ritz Carlton say "get the hell out" - at times nearly borderline abusive. If you really wanted them to remember you I would have tipped them 10 or 20 bucks at the start and say "its really important to us that silverware is not there when my baby gets here - so please be sure to take care of us". But personally I would have just moved the silverware myself.

Sorry but I totally disagree with your statements ---- every cruise I have been on by the second night they know us by name and have had the table set exactly as we have requested.

Not only on DCL but EVERY cruiseline I have dealt with this is the norm!

These guys know that their wages depend upon providing the best dining experience EVERY NIGHT!!!

to the OP --- after that many requests their tip would have reflected the attention to detail and ability to follow through with requests (especially as basic as yours were) - from what you have told us so far it would have been $0.00!

Dinner is part of the whole cruising experience and can make or break a trip in my opinion.

MarkRG
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
It's really a judgment call. We've only run into that kind of situation once, on one of the first one or two cruises we have went on.

We were pretty much green at it so didn't know what to expect.

But by the second night we got the impression that the main dinner server was really slacking off. By then, the only time we would see him was when he showed up to take our dinner order. The assistant server really picked it up and did all the dinner serving herself, not just the drinks and such, and his carelessness made no impact at all on our dining experience. We didn't pick up on it fully as we didn't really have a complete idea of what their two roles should have been.

We literally flipped the tips, he got a bit less than the assist recommended and she got far more than the main server recommended. We did find out on the last night from her after he disappeared that it was literally his last sailing, contract up and he wasn't getting renewed, and obviously didn't care about going out on a high note.

Tngrl78
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry but I totally disagree with your statements ---- every cruise I have been on by the second night they know us by name and have had the table set exactly as we have requested.

Not only on DCL but EVERY cruiseline I have dealt with this is the norm!

These guys know that their wages depend upon providing the best dining experience EVERY NIGHT!!!

to the OP --- after that many requests their tip would have reflected the attention to detail and ability to follow through with requests (especially as basic as yours were) - from what you have told us so far it would have been $0.00!

Dinner is part of the whole cruising experience and can make or break a trip in my opinion.

I would also respectfully disagree lewlaw69 … but I would disagree based on our personal experiences… let me explain.

We have been 2 cruises on the Wonder…and in both cases our servers were great! By the end of the 1st night they knew our names and would use them going forward for the rest of the cruise (pretty standard I guess). They also figured out our likes and dislikes and by the time we were seated on our second night, they had taken care of some of things in advance of us getting there. For example, they knew our son really liked Ginger Ale (which was great for the motion sickness too! LOL) with his meal and by the time we sat down for our second seating, he already had a cup (with a lid and straw) filled with Ginger Ale and his name was on the cup. Now, this is just one small thing that they did, but to us it meant they paid attention. In the case of the baby and the utensils… based on the service we received on both cruises, I’m shocked that their server did not have this taken care of BEFORE they ever got to the table.

At the end of the meal my wife asked for some hot tea and picked out the Earl Grey tea bag. From then on after we finished our meal, the assistant server asked my wife directly if she wanted tea with her dessert and if she wanted the Earl Grey again. Again, it’s something small, but it showed they paid attention.

TKH
11-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote: "Last, take care of your own silverware - they are there to serve you food along with hundreds of others in a quick turnaround while making it as enjoyable as possible. "

Just for clarity, I was trying to remove the plate/fork/knife before putting my little guy in the high chair when the server grabbed his legs. If you have kids it's easy to understand that with a baby, it's much easier to never let them see/have something than it is to take it away. :goodvibes We hadn't made any other requests...except one kid wanted orange cheese shreds on his macaroni one night...and got sliced oranges on his mac instead! :lmao: That was simply worth a laugh, he ate it just fine! Anyway, that was just an example. Seriously, a cruise is what you make of it, and we made off just fine. We were walked away happy with another cruise booked, just wondered what we should have done and I'm happy to know we could have requested a different table/server.

denas
11-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Totally disagree. I sailed once with Disney and had a 6-month old. The server had only a spoon and a highchair there the first night. The head server ended up moving our table on night 2 when he realized that our daughter was still wobbly and sleepy at dinner time and therefore couldn't use the highchair, but needed the stroller. For my family of 5, we are tipping $40 per day for our meal service. Lets generously assume that half covers breakfast and lunch, (we eat buffets like most people so that is pretty high) that still means $20 for dinner service. If this was the standard 15% reflection, that would correspond to us eating a meal that would come to over $100. (My kids are 8/4/and 9 months on our next cruise so the littlest doesn't even eat). If I were to pay that much at a restaurant I would expect very good service. Heck, even Friday's and Applebees DONT PUT A KNIFE OR BREAKABLES IN FRONT OF AN INFANT. So, I don't think you are expecting too much at all on a $100 dollar meal to have servers that listen to you. And if anyone grabbed my baby after I asked them not to, I would have complained on-the-spot to a manager regardless of where I was at. You don 't grab babies. Offer to help - sure, but don't ever touch someones kids without the parents permission.

dursin
11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
In 5 cruises, I've only had to reduce the gratuities twice. Once we had a stateroom host who forgot to lower the upper berth for the kids on 2 out of the 4 nights, plus we had an issue with a dirty sheet on the pulldown bed (this was a cat 4) and it took like 3 reminders to get it corrected. I think he got 75% of his recommended tip for those things.

The other time is the head servers...if I don't see them until the last night when they come around with their hand out, they get a big reduction...sometimes all the way to 0.

Dizzyworld
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
We hadn't made any other requests...except one kid wanted orange cheese shreds on his macaroni one night...and got sliced oranges on his mac instead! :lmao: That was simply worth a laugh, he ate it just fine!

The picture in my head of the orange on the mac was worth a laugh for me too. :lmao:

Glad the rest of your cruise was good.

Tonka's Skipper
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
ALL though High school and college I worked for tips.........and I get steamed when someone gets on the threads.....basicly complaining and wining the crews get to much in tips.

BUT!

If you got really bad service, which weas brought to the attention of the staff and it didn't get better.I would not tip...........plain as that!

I would have wrote out my complaints and stapled the envlopes to the letter and left it at the purser desk!

AKK

GOOFY D
11-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Sorry, I disagree. They are there to serve you, not to just deliver food. The reason the servers follow you around is to give personal service. Disney cruises are far from economy cruises. There are plenty of cruises that people can take at a much lower cost and the meals and service are part of the whole package. Also, tipping is for good service, not an obligatory deed.

lexlaw69
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
So you are walking up to your table with your 2 or 3 kids in tow you can't simply move the silverware when you walk up? Isn't silverware usually on the table before you get there in every restaurant you've ever been to? Sorry, I just think it is snobby and over reaching to expect that.

Do you also reduce your tips when you go to a restaurant and they didn't read your mind beforehand and remove the silverware? My family and I have a ritual down that doesn't mattrer if we're in McDonalds or Mortons and that is to move the friggin silverware and anything else within reach of our 2 year old.

I think when you become to much of a pain to the underpaid staff that you become a target for whatever is in their nose.

lexlaw69
11-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Right, they are there to serve you....dinner. They're job is to make you feel special and attended to in a way that gets you out the door so second seating can come in. You are on a cruise, not a private yacht that you own. I've watched people abuse these staff with outrageous requests and snobbery. My guess is that if you expect the staff to do half a dozen things in preparation for your "arrival" your highness that you might be asking too much.

GOOFY D
11-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Right, they are there to serve you....dinner. They're job is to make you feel special and attended to in a way that gets you out the door so second seating can come in. You are on a cruise, not a private yacht that you own. I've watched people abuse these staff with outrageous requests and snobbery. My guess is that if you expect the staff to do half a dozen things in preparation for your "arrival" your highness that you might be asking too much.
This is not a cheap cruise. To say they are underpaid is a joke. They are paid extremely well and also save a ton in taxes. They are also paid to provide top service which is expected on a cruise of this sort. This is also a cruise with many small children, so I am sure Disney would like for their employees to reduce risks to their young guests. Whether you think that is snobby or not, if it is an expectation that has been specifically relayed to the server is ignored, then the customer has every right to be unhappy.

DisneyCruiser83
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I think if the server/staff was overtly rude to you I would lower or not tip at all. But if you made many demands and they didn't remember you out of the other thousands of guests every week It is the norm on DCL (and most others) for the servers to remember not only your name, but your preferred drink and any allergies by the second night, third at the latest. It is amazing they are able to do this, but it is an expected part of the job. I don't think I would be as harsh as you were. Just because they are wearing a tuxedo/nice uniform doesn't mean that you are going to get the same service as you do at the Ritz, etc. - and I don't think you should expect that. The OP, and most that have cruised previously are not expecting service on par with the "Ritz" or any other land-based establishment, but the service DCL has provided in the past, the service that makes many justify the premium price. I have cruised with DCL many times, and I expect certain things based on my past experience on the cruise, not some expectation brought from any other place. I would have listed something on the comment card and given them the suggested tip.

Last, take care of your own silverware I am on vacation, I take care of cooking, silverware, dishes etc. all the time at home. The OP's request of not having sharps and breakables near her infant is not an overly demanding request, and many other servers would have taken care of it the first night noting the age of the child on the reservation. The servers are given this information in advance, and have it available to them any time. To suggest that the OP should have to clear her child's place after specifically requested it to be taken care of is bizzare. - they are there to serve you food along with hundreds of others in a quick turnaround Actually, the servers don't have hundres of guests. They are given 3 tables with a maximum of 20 people at each seating. There could be exceptions, but this is the norm. If the person is unable to turn their tables over properly, they should not be in the position as that is an expected duty. There is plenty of time between seatings to turn over 20 place settings. It is actually easier to set a place for a child, as there is less to set out. while making it as enjoyable as possible. Its more upscale vegas buffet than fine dining. I've seen the utmost in snobbery and service expectations that would have made the Ritz Carlton say "get the hell out" - at times nearly borderline abusive. If you really wanted them to remember you I would have tipped them 10 or 20 bucks at the start and say "its really important to us that silverware is not there when my baby gets here - so please be sure to take care of us". But personally I would have just moved the silverware myself.

My husband is in a wheelchair, and does not use the chair in the MDR. Not once on any of my cruises has the chair not been removed by the second night, my limes on the table and DH's water glass removed. These are not large requests, or even requirements, but DCL has always made them happen. It is not unreasonable to expect this level of service in the future, as this is what we have experienced in the past.

To the OP, I would have cut his tip in half and explained to him face to face exactly why I was doing so.

Good luck on your future cruises!

Mindyjoy
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
So you are walking up to your table with your 2 or 3 kids in tow you can't simply move the silverware when you walk up? Isn't silverware usually on the table before you get there in every restaurant you've ever been to? Sorry, I just think it is snobby and over reaching to expect that.

Uh, seriously? OP stated that they ASKED for the baby's silverware to be removed after day 1. Not at all a snobby or overreaching request. The point of having the rotating dining staff is so your needs will be accommodated without having to explain your needs to a different server every night. It's listed in the brochure as a perk of sailing with DCL.

For the record, I wouldn't reduce the tip for the silverware issue alone, but I would take a few bucks out for the struggle with the high chair and the plate. If my server's behavior or attitude causes me to have extra stress during dinner, yeah, I'm going to reduce the tip.

Cruise
11-05-2010, 06:04 PM
We did the same thing (and probably on the same cruise--Hi Julie;)!).

Beth

:lmao::wave:

The other time is the head servers...if I don't see them until the last night when they come around with their hand out, they get a big reduction...sometimes all the way to 0.

I've got to chime in here. I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again. The Head Server's job is to make sure your dining team and the kitchen is running smoothly and on schedule. They handle the behind-the-scenes emergencies that will always happen when serving hundreds of people dinner at the same time. They step in to help serve when your server is ill or behind for some reason, they take care of special requests, and they are another step in making sure no one gets food that causes an allergic reaction. If you have a complaint about your dining staff, he/she is the person that gets the problem worked out. With all this being said, if you don't see your Head Server till the last night of your cruise, that means he/she did the job exceptionally well because none of these problems ever reached your table.

lexlaw69
11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
and if you are so offput by having to physically move your silverware you may want to check your royal bloodline. As far as the baby freaking out when he was trying to help out I think we have all been there. Most are probably appreciative of the help but you can't make everyone happy.

KSDisneyDad
11-05-2010, 06:19 PM

I tend to agree with your overall sentiment. I think expectations are too high by some. On 5 cruises, I felt we've had excellent service but by the time we get to our second seating, the assistant server may not have our iced tea waiting for us. Not a big deal IMO. We always feel somewhat bad for the wait staff as they get up very early to serve breakfast, often work at lunch as well and then also work two dinner seatings and then sometimes go work the late-night events (pirate night, late night hors d'œuvres, dessert buffets, etc.). And they always greet you with a smile and are awesome whether it at breakfast, lunch or dinner where they see you.

That said, we have had one bad situation with an assistant server who was ending his first contract and couldn't wait to return home to Italy. He was replaced near the end of the cruise. That made for some awkward tipping as it was a 15-night cruise. :rolleyes1

I've got to chime in here. I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again. The Head Server's job is to make sure your dining team and the kitchen is running smoothly and on schedule. They handle the behind-the-scenes emergencies that will always happen when serving hundreds of people dinner at the same time. They step in to help serve when your server is ill or behind for some reason, they take care of special requests, and they are another step in making sure no one gets food that causes an allergic reaction. If you have a complaint about your dining staff, he/she is the person that gets the problem worked out. With all this being said, if you don't see your Head Server till the last night of your cruise, that means he/she did the job exceptionally well because none of these problems ever reached your table.

I have to agree! After our first cruise, we thought the head server's job was simply to shake hands and get a tip because everything went so smoothly due to our excellent wait staff. On our remaining cruises, we've had a few small issues (one big issue where we changed our seating altogether) and the head servers have always done a great job when we asked for assistance. Normally, they'll stop by and ask if everything is okay at least once during the cruise, but if they don't I would assume it's because they are helping someone else with a problem. Our head server stepped in a lot when our assistant server had issues on our longer cruise as mentioned above.

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Here's my 2¢ on the silverware....unless you are the last person into the dining room, there is no way for the server to know where you are sitting to remove it. If the server removes it and someone else sits there, then he/she has to re-shuffle silverware. Yes, the server should immediately remove the setting once it is determined where you are sitting. Personally, I would NOT want the server to do it prior to my arrival as I would want to choose where to sit.

Now on longer cruises where you repeat restaurants, and are more likely to sit in the same place, the server should go ahead and remove it prior to arrival (if they remember where you sat the first time).

To me, the silverware is a mountain out of a mole hill. As long as the server removes it in a timely manner once you're seated, they've done their job. And yours, as a parent, is to keep an eye on your child until the server can do their job.

lmhall2000
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Here's my 2¢ on the silverware....unless you are the last person into the dining room, there is no way for the server to know where you are sitting to remove it. If the server removes it and someone else sits there, then he/she has to re-shuffle silverware. Yes, the server should immediately remove the setting once it is determined where you are sitting. Personally, I would NOT want the server to do it prior to my arrival as I would want to choose where to sit.

It's rather simple, you remove it where the high chair is. The table sitting next to us had a baby (1 year old) and each night the high chair was already in place...so you simply remove the silverware in front of the child...not a tough request and it's more about safety than anything, which I think any server/ship would acknowledge.

Tara

DynamicDisneyDuo
11-05-2010, 06:45 PM
It's rather simple, you remove it where the high chair is. The table sitting next to us had a baby (1 year old) and each night the high chair was already in place...so you simply remove the silverware in front of the child...not a tough request and it's more about safety than anything, which I think any server/ship would acknowledge.

Tara

To each their own. As I stated...I would NOT want the server dictating where I sat. If my table mates beat me, fine but I don't wanna be told where to sit if I get there early. I will choose my own seat. As I said, just my 2¢.

f86sabjf
11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
lets just say Disney wants addtional info from us due to our survey at the end of the cruise. We have had better service on every single line we have been on in almost 23cruises . This was our first and last Disney cruise. We were really looking for something to justify the overcharging compared to other lines and didnt find it.
We reduced our tips signifigantly to everyone except our room steward who was probably the best we have ever had. A good portion was shifted to him and his salary was at least doubled. WE are Disney fans but we will call them on it if somethings not correct. I'm not trying to slam Disney here believe it or not..

dursin
11-05-2010, 08:59 PM

I disagree. If you don't see your Head Server until the last night of the cruise, he/she has done a very poor job. The Head Server should introduce themselves on the first night of the cruise and at least take 10 seconds to stop by each evening. I've had head servers who were fantastic and stopped by at least once every evening to check how things were going. Probably the two best we've had were Michelle and Yolande. I also had one who seemed like he couldn't care less. Didn't see him until the very last night of a seven day cruise.

TKH
11-05-2010, 09:44 PM
OP here, let me just further clarify a few things. I was sincerely hoping for this not to become a thread assessing whether or not we were getting our undies in a bundy over something minor. Quality of service is perceived, and that is why I chose not to list out each issue we had...I didn't want the controversy of determining whether a trouble was significant. I've read threads about people saying you should never reduce a tip, just don't go over the recommended if the service wasn't up to par and I wondered what most people would do. It's after the fact so I guess it doesn't matter anyway, and we are highly unlikely to experience poor service again...it's very rare on DCL! Just the place-setting/high-chair incident would likely not have phased me. Anyone can have a bad day! :goodvibes In the end, no more plates were broken and my husband walked in first to remove the place-setting and I put the baby in the high-chair while holding his legs to physically keep the server from grabbing them. It worked out. But my shellfish-allergic husband (allergy noted) being served shrimp (which he didn't order) twice? And the server asking if he'd be okay with that or if he needed his meal replaced? That is simply odd, they are trained better than that! My point is, it wasn't one issue...it was the whole 7 days and it was the other tables they were responsible for as well. Anyway, we've done DCL before and had an idea of what to expect, and we were disappointed with our servers. Simple enough, everyone is entitled to feel as they do. I appreciate your help in determining that we could have asked to be moved and a reduction in tip is okay if necessary. No need to re-hash it now, let's move on! ;)

Dicecatt
11-05-2010, 11:02 PM
OP here, let me just further clarify a few things. I was sincerely hoping for this not to become a thread assessing whether or not we were getting our undies in a bundy over something minor. Quality of service is perceived, and that is why I chose not to list out each issue we had...I didn't want the controversy of determining whether a trouble was significant. I've read threads about people saying you should never reduce a tip, just don't go over the recommended if the service wasn't up to par and I wondered what most people would do. It's after the fact so I guess it doesn't matter anyway, and we are highly unlikely to experience poor service again...it's very rare on DCL! Just the place-setting/high-chair incident would likely not have phased me. Anyone can have a bad day! :goodvibes In the end, no more plates were broken and my husband walked in first to remove the place-setting and I put the baby in the high-chair while holding his legs to physically keep the server from grabbing them. It worked out. But my shellfish-allergic husband (allergy noted) being served shrimp (which he didn't order) twice? And the server asking if he'd be okay with that or if he needed his meal replaced? That is simply odd, they are trained better than that! My point is, it wasn't one issue...it was the whole 7 days and it was the other tables they were responsible for as well. Anyway, we've done DCL before and had an idea of what to expect, and we were disappointed with our servers. Simple enough, everyone is entitled to feel as they do. I appreciate your help in determining that we could have asked to be moved and a reduction in tip is okay if necessary. No need to re-hash it now, let's move on! ;)

I just wanted to say...you have a fantastic attitude!

ibouncetoo
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM

Lee, if you are very, very lucky you will be assigned Simone from Italy as your head server! (ok, ok, there are several great head servers assigned to the Dream). Also the Food & Beverage officer, Daniel from the UK, is a great guy. You will be working with a great bunch of people. Here's who to look out for! :lmao:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs035.ash2/35110_1545816729846_1367861297_31462374_2063926_n. jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31462375&id=1367861297)

I can't remember, but one of them also started with Disney at Epcot!

Dicecatt
11-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Lee, if you are very, very lucky you will be assigned Simone from Italy as your head server! (ok, ok, there are several great head servers assigned to the Dream). Also the Food & Beverage officer, Daniel from the UK, is a great guy. You will be working with a great bunch of people. Here's who to look out for! :lmao:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs035.ash2/35110_1545816729846_1367861297_31462374_2063926_n. jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31462375&id=1367861297)

I can't remember, but one of them also started with Disney at Epcot!

I love Simone!!!!

denas
11-06-2010, 08:01 AM

Do you also reduce your tips when you go to a restaurant and they didn't read your mind beforehand and remove the silverware? My family and I have a ritual down that doesn't mattrer if we're in McDonalds or Mortons and that is to move the friggin silverware and anything else within reach of our 2 year old.

I think when you become to much of a pain to the underpaid staff that you become a target for whatever is in their nose.

Whenever I walk into a restaurant, and the table is set, and they hostess escorting us to the table sees that we have 5 people (one infant) and the table is set for 6, they start removing the extra utensils, plates, glasses, etc. My point is that if the Macaroni Grill (where I ate last night) can figure this out and my bill for the five of us came to $45 dollars and the waiter received a $9 tip, then I would expect for the price I am paying on Disney to at least get the same service I do at Applebees.

The reason you get the same waiter every night is advertised specifically so that they can remember your likes/dislikes. So, that is precisely what they are there for and what I have experienced on every cruise I have ever been on (even super cheap cruises on Carnival). If it is too difficult to remember this, then perhaps the servers need to look for something else to do. I don't care if they remember that I like lemon with my water and my husband doesn't (although by night 2 they usually do), but I would care if they knew I had an infant because they had already set up the high chair for said infant, and they left a full place setting including a knife in front of the high chair. If you are carrying an infant, and moving two other kids to the table, with what free hand do I have to remove the silver ware/plates/glasses and where am I supposed to put it??? I eat out so I don't have to set my own table or clear it.

Anyway, my expectation would be that the table would be set for my party which seems to me that this is part of the servers job (ie if it is a party of 8 and the table didn't include 8 place seettings that would be a problem too). If after the first night this wasn't corrected, I would most certainly lower the tip amount. I usually start with the recommended amount and add to it if I feel like someone goes above the standard expectations but wouldn't hesitate to lower it if the waiter couldn't even get the table set to accomodate my party.

orlandothebeagle
11-06-2010, 09:43 AM
To each their own. As I stated...I would NOT want the server dictating where I sat. If my table mates beat me, fine but I don't wanna be told where to sit if I get there early. I will choose my own seat. As I said, just my 2¢.

I agree 100%

Page4
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
On my one and only DCL cruise the waitstaff made our cruise very memorable with some special touches. On one occasion when my daughter fell asleep, they made a small bed out of two chairs and covered her up. My wife looked at me and pointed up. I knew that meant the tip was going to be well over the suggested amount, and I agreed.

There were some mix ups where they put the drinks with the wrong person that we just switched when they left and things like that. I know that this isn't typical fine dining. It is kind of like Vegas style as a pp mentioned.

With all of that being said, I wouldn't make any excuses for "bad" service because they are "overworked". If they are overworked and it affects me then I have a problem with DCL. They charge for a premium product and that's what I expect (and get 99.9% of the time). If it requires more employees then it's on them to make it right.

Let me just add that I thought every cast member I ran into was awesome, from the people vacuuming to the kids club staff.

cmash95
11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
not only would the serving staff get smaller tips, but they would be singled out on the comment card, and I would write a very detailed letter to DCL as well. Those kinds of things are noted and if bad enough, staff have been let go because of too many complaints. Because of the new ships, DCL is hiring lots of people and not all of them make the grade. We sailed on the wonder this summer and I was surprised at how many were earning their ears. Many more than on previous cruises.
I give staff the benefit of the doubt the first couple of days, but after that, they should know your preferences hands down. On our last cruise, the assistant server asked for our drink order every night and my kids drink orfer never changed, I know it seems petty, but it was annoying to them that he didn't remember from night to night.

TDC Nala
11-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Depends on how terrible the service was. Will adjust the tip downward in proportion.

If it was that bad I think I would also make note of it to DCL on a comment card.

If a person is so terrible at their job that someone has to consider doing something about it, then I am not sure it is relevant to tip them in full based on their "need to make a living." Apparently they need to make a living doing something else.

Don't think I would have freaked out over the silverware thing, would just have moved all the place setting items out of the reach of the baby myself. Definitely would have deducted for being rude though.

Lee Matthews
11-06-2010, 01:03 PM
When it comes to remembering things like drinks from the previous nights meal, are you expecting the server to remember what it was and ASK if they would like the same again or actually have it ready on arrival?

ibouncetoo
11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
When it comes to remembering things like drinks from the previous nights meal, are you expecting the server to remember what it was and ASK if they would like the same again or actually have it ready on arrival?

I know folks seem to be happy (and impressed) when their beverage preferences are remembered, but I'm one of the folks who like to mix it up. After my second cruise I learned (;)) to tell my assistant server that I liked to wait and order my beverage, as I might have something different each night. Didn't like to see a diet Coke go to waste!

I'm sure DCL will train you the way they want you to do it, and experience will teach you how to 'read' your guests.

Lee Matthews
11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Thats what i thought, remembering or even writing down what the guests had the night before and recommending them the next night, but im sure people change what they drink each night too

dylan'smom
11-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I know folks seem to be happy (and impressed) when their beverage preferences are remembered, but I'm one of the folks who like to mix it up....I'm sure DCL will train you the way they want you to do it, and experience will teach you how to 'read' your guests.

I totally agree that it comes with continued training...and yes, people seem to like having their preferences remembered, drinks or otherwise...

We LOVE DCL and usually just take it as it comes: typically that is excellent service, or darn close to it!!

Have to admit though, that it was only on the longer cruises that our preferences were ever remembered, and even then it was not on every cruise...what we drink changes, but things like lemon w/ the water, butter instead of the spread, etc. On the EBTA our asst server offered me fresh ground pepper up until the 14th night lol after I had told her it makes me cough & sneeze 13 times. :lmao:

But...I am guilty of tipping for bad service, myself. And I know it's hard for others to understand sometimes... :sad1:
The CMs just always seem to try so hard and always have redeeming qualities in other areas...and there are always extenuating circumstances.

We cruised shortly after 9/11/01 -- very sad time & the servers stretched way too thin, as was the kitchen staff i guess....dinner took forever, one time the server came up sweating profusely, presented me with this little piece of jerky that had started out as a veal chop & asked it it was ok, pleaded really, with tears in his eyes - no joke. I didn't have the heart to send it back, and really, what was the use? On that very same cruise, our head server, Sandra I believe, swooped in a few times and gave amazing personalized assistance to save the day & make the cruise 'magical' again.

My point is there are flukes, things beyond their control, reasons to tip anyway, even for less than perfect or "bad" service.

pearlieq
11-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again. The Head Server's job is to make sure your dining team and the kitchen is running smoothly and on schedule. They handle the behind-the-scenes emergencies that will always happen when serving hundreds of people dinner at the same time. They step in to help serve when your server is ill or behind for some reason, they take care of special requests, and they are another step in making sure no one gets food that causes an allergic reaction. If you have a complaint about your dining staff, he/she is the person that gets the problem worked out. With all this being said, if you don't see your Head Server till the last night of your cruise, that means he/she did the job exceptionally well because none of these problems ever reached your table.

I'll agree with that up to a point. If I make a special request, have allergies, am celebrating an occasion, want to move tables, or have the head server intervene when I have a problem, I have absolutely no problem rewarding them for their service.

However, if I just show up, sit in my assigned seat, order regular menu items, and go on about my day, I don't believe the head server has necessarily earned any reward from me. I should not be forced to pay DCL's management costs.

It would be a little like charging all the guests for concierge service, whether or not they use it. I don't think I should have to subsidize the cost of attending to someone's 27 person family reunion where there are 6 birthdays, two anniversaries, 4 babies, and 3 people with nut allergies.

They should pay for their own service--I'll be at my table minding my own business.

Cruise
11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
I'll agree with that up to a point. If I make a special request, have allergies, am celebrating an occasion, want to move tables, or have the head server intervene when I have a problem, I have absolutely no problem rewarding them for their service.

However, if I just show up, sit in my assigned seat, order regular menu items, and go on about my day, I don't believe the head server has necessarily earned any reward from me. I should not be forced to pay DCL's management costs.

It would be a little like charging all the guests for concierge service, whether or not they use it. I don't think I should have to subsidize the cost of attending to someone's 27 person family reunion where there are 6 birthdays, two anniversaries, 4 babies, and 3 people with nut allergies.

They should pay for their own service--I'll be at my table minding my own business.

I guess the way I see it is that if I have a server in the dining room and he's doing a good job, it's because he's being overseen and trained by the head server. Just because the head server isn't the one to put the plate in front of me doesn't mean he didn't contribute to making sure I got it quickly, at the right temperature, and had the right order on it.

GhostlyHitchhiker
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM

I have only ever gotten poor service from one individual (same guy on two cruises) and we most certainly lowered his tip accordingly. Our head server on our very first cruise (4 night) and he had been "promoted" to the Magic and was our head server for our second cruise as well.

On our first cruise we never saw him. He introduced himself on our final night and was only there to get his tips. We didn't know any better so we tipped what was expected.

On our second cruise I "adjusted" his tip, greatly. We travelled with extended family and there were 16 of us in total. We were celebrating two birthdays, my husband and my oldest daughter's. I had arranged to have my daughter's cake on her actual birthday and my husband's birthday having been earlier in the month we were just sort-of celebrating it whenever really.

The night before DD's birthday I saw this gentleman (he never introduced himself to any of our group - I knew him from our previous cruise) and confirmed the cake was scheduled for the following night. That night came and went with no cake. I asked our (amazing) server and he was going to look into it and was unable to even find the dining room server, but promised he would personally make sure we had a cake the following night. Our server was amazing and did magic tricks for the kids every night, he and our assistant server knew our likes/dislikes by night 2 for our entire group half of which were picky children.

Late that night my MIL got very ill and we found out months later ended up having multiple small strokes all night long. From that night on she was unable to join us for dinner or even leave the stateroom for longer than an hour or so at a time.

The following night we got DD's birthday cake, but my DMIL was unable to attend and celebrate with us by then. It was sad for all of us to try to celebrate when we knew she was ill. Our server/asst server asked every single night about her to make sure she was alright. They made sure she was getting food she could eat (oatmeal/soups/etc) and they were genuinely concerned. The head server never once asked about her though he came by that night (and was told she was ill) to "make sure we got our cake".

Was I being "snobby"? Was I expecting too much? As others here have said if Chili's can remember it's someones birthday when it's written down (I even confirmed it the day before), then they should be able to remember as well. It may not be the head server's fault DMIL got ill, but my DD didn't get a cake on her actual birthday and that was. I know there were other flubs from him, but I can't remember what they were. (This cruise was in 2007.)

I also over-tip when it's deserved as others here have said. Fernando and Lynette both got nearly double the recommended tips from our entire party because they were so amazing. As an aside, does anyone know if either of them are still around? :)

dopeyfanatic
11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
The OP was not upset to show up and see silverware at the baby's place setting the first night, but when you ask if it can be removed the rest of the nights that isn't asking much. I would have been more upset that the server was trying to put my baby in the high chair. No offense, but keep your hands off.

As for the wages I know several people that work cruise lines. They make an average of $2000/month AFTER taxes on just BASE salary......they are ALL servers, and their tip send up being over double what their base salary is. That make good money. If someone gives you service that poor I would reduce it. I would honestly not expect them to bother with remembering what I had to drink, or that I wanted some specific dessert. It would be great, but I wouldn't ding them if they didn't know it. I would only ding them if they ignored a simple request. Disney does have fantastic service, and they brag about it. So when you're expecting it and told you'll get it, a lot of people would be upset to not get it when you're paying for it.

lmhall2000
11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
I agree 100%

Why are people assuming she sat at a table with other guests? When we cruised our whole party (7) were at our own table, the family next to us with a baby were a party of 5 and the only ones there...I really doubt a family with kids care where they sit, but would like to not have to hassle with knives/forks/glasses near a baby...I know my babies would grab those utensils like lightning...when you have multiple children you're watching out for, it's a consideration, have no clue why people are assuming putting a high chair at a place at a table would inconvenience them.

Dicecatt
11-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Why are people assuming she sat at a table with other guests? When we cruised our whole party (7) were at our own table, the family next to us with a baby were a party of 5 and the only ones there...I really doubt a family with kids care where they sit, but would like to not have to hassle with knives/forks/glasses near a baby...I know my babies would grab those utensils like lightning...when you have multiple children you're watching out for, it's a consideration, have no clue why people are assuming putting a high chair at a place at a table would inconvenience them.

I agree...seems like a bigger inconvenience to determine where to place the baby while you are standing there waiting for your server to accomodate your choice of seats. What if they can't do it immediately? Do you just stand there and wait for it, juggling the baby or babies in the meantime? That just seems odd.

The things that would most aggravate me is the shellfish issue, and grabbing of the baby's legs. The shellfish issue is just downright dangerous and DCL is better than that. They promote that they are very allergy friendly, and it is appalling that the servers wouldn't keep that in mind. I would also not like it AT ALL if a server was tugging on my child's legs. I think that is crossing a line.

disney11fan
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
not only don't you tip, you make a point to tell disney you won't be back....ever again.

for what your paying the service should be perfect.

Cmbar
11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I agree...seems like a bigger inconvenience to determine where to place the baby while you are standing there waiting for your server to accomodate your choice of seats. What if they can't do it immediately? Do you just stand there and wait for it, juggling the baby or babies in the meantime? That just seems odd.

The things that would most aggravate me is the shellfish issue, and grabbing of the baby's legs. The shellfish issue is just downright dangerous and DCL is better than that. They promote that they are very allergy friendly, and it is appalling that the servers wouldn't keep that in mind. I would also not like it AT ALL if a server was tugging on my child's legs. I think that is crossing a line.

I am so amazed that the OP got a server that allowed shellfish to be on the plate!! We just got off yesterday. I have Mild allergies to certain foods that will send my Crohn's disease into a tailspin in no time. I have to watch those foods and try to avoid them. I don't usually tell Disney and just work around it. But on our first night they asked and my MOM was with us and she was telling him I have three things I can't eat: Tomato, Mushroom and Rice. Well let me tell you there is Mushroom and tomato in A Lot of the recipes, but I could work around it. But they wouldnt let me!!! I ordered steak one night and they wouldn't give me the sauce that went over it because it had mushrooms, they made me order each night for the NEXT night and they would prepare my food before I got there. One night I wanted to try an appetizer that I didn't see the night before when I ordered (try ordering a full meal after you just finished one, Ugh). The head server came over and was so nice and explained that that appetizer had mushrooms in it and that he told the chef to prepare it without the mushrooms in it, so they made a scallops appitizer without mushrooms. I was so impressed and so irritated at the same time. I never wanted to put anyone out. They were over the top on the allergies and would even go to the point where our assistant server would ask that I not eat any of the dips for the breads until she could check to see if it had tomatoes in it. She even brought me separate bowls of bread to put in front of me because a few of the breads had some tomatoes in it.

I will never mention this again as I felt they were too over the top on trying to accomodate me. Not that I didn't think this was great service and I did indeed tip them all more generously, but it was more of a pain being excluded and singled out when I could simply have just not eaten the mushrooms on the plate! So I am SOOO surprised they delivered someone with a shellfish allergy a Shrimp!!! Of course these allergies are very serious so I am actually sorry to hear they did this. This would be one thing I would write to Disney about. Our servers would never have brought me a plate with it to begin with, but by all means they never would have said "are you ok with it". This server needs to corrected or replaced, so OP please write a letter. It is important because most of us have wonderful service but for those who don't, I am sure Disney wants to know.

By the way my BIL asked a server how much they make and was told they work about 90 hours a week and get 50 a month and that most of their income is tips. So the $13 a week was at least confirmed by one guy. Could have been the same guy!

TKH
11-06-2010, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=Cmbar;38857196]I am so amazed that the OP got a server that allowed shellfish to be on the plate!!
I don't usually tell Disney and just work around it.
This server needs to corrected or replaced, so OP please write a letter.
QUOTE]

Like you, my husband generally doesn't tell anyone of his allergy. He's had it long enough that he knows what to avoid. He was annoyed that I told them this time! The allergy was not formally addressed, and we were okay with that. The problem was that he wasn't given the food he ordered. (Neither was I, but I rather enjoyed the 'surprises'.) He was going to eat what he was given, but then pulled a piece out and asked me if I thought it was shrimp. It was. We were just glad it didn't happen to a child.

Seriously, we're not 'mad' about anything. We were annoyed at times, but getting mad and letting it ruin our trip just wouldn't have been a productive thing.

We did fill out the comment card and will speak with Disney or write to them. I don't want these guys to lose their jobs, just learn to listen and watch for social cues.

heatherwillmom
11-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I think the server went over the line by grabbing the baby's legs. That is riduculous. No parent wants a stranger tugging on their baby. No parent wants a stranger even touching their baby. If it had been my baby, I would have told him not to try to put the baby in the high chair. If he tried it again, the momma lion in me would have probably grabbed the server.

GhostlyHitchhiker
11-07-2010, 01:58 AM
I think the server went over the line by grabbing the baby's legs. That is riduculous. No parent wants a stranger tugging on their baby. No parent wants a stranger even touching their baby. If it had been my baby, I would have told him not to try to put the baby in the high chair. If he tried it again, the momma lion in me would have probably grabbed the server.

This is absolutely true. I have calmed down as a parent since my youngest DD was little (she's 9 going on 40 now), but when my girls were little NO ONE was allowed to touch them.

Sure, I was a paranoid parent (I am mature enough now to admit that), but it was also because THEY didn't like other people touching them that they didn't know. If a server had tried to force oldest DD into a high chair she would have cried as the OP's child did. She probably would have been upset for much of the night, as she is a very sensitive child. And the Momma and Dadda lion in us would have reacted to protect her from that.

If they had tried that with youngest DD? They likely would have lost hair, teeth, sanity, etc. Youngest DD would have made her unhappiness known throughout the ship so our over-protective-ness was as much for the crew as for us. ;-)

Lee Matthews
11-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I think the Allergy situations are a tough call.

When i worked at the Rose & Crown in Epcot, it was amazing the amount of people who had an allergy, not tell the server and then go and would order something which gives them a reaction of some type. A few would then threaten that it was our fault and were going to sue the company.

We would offer a chef to come and speak to tables that do have allergies and accommodate as best as possible. Surely it's better to be safe than sorry? But i can see how over fussing, can make an experience awkward.

Not sure how it works with cruiseline yet but i can expect them to be just as persistent and inclined to help

lexlaw69
11-07-2010, 06:52 PM
At least half of you are nuts. You either want the service or don't want the service - your po'd because the server picked up the baby or didn't pick up the baby. Lordy - y'all are difficult and may want to rethink how many hoops you are making your server jump thru. Sadly - my guess is you don't care how many hoops you make them jump thru and always think your requests are infinitely (or infantly) reasonable. I'd challenge any of the complainers on here to take a step back, review the situation and see if their request was reasonable and communicated adequately.

jilljill
11-07-2010, 07:02 PM
At least half of you are nuts. You either want the service or don't want the service - your po'd because the server picked up the baby or didn't pick up the baby. Lordy - y'all are difficult and may want to rethink how many hoops you are making your server jump thru. Sadly - my guess is you don't care how many hoops you make them jump thru and always think your requests are infinitely (or infantly) reasonable. I'd challenge any of the complainers on here to take a step back, review the situation and see if their request was reasonable and communicated adequately.

This is a bit over the top and generalizes that everyone that's posted on this thread is being difficult and is asking for the world on a silver platter. You might want to take a step back from this thread and think about how you've made others feel for posting their opinions and reviews which you obviously don't agree with.

Dicecatt
11-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Well, before I refrained from telling you that you seem unpleasant and judgemental from your posts in a few threads, but I guess since the gloves are off...hopefully next time you cruise your server will serve you food you are allergic too, give a member of your party a dangerous instrument each and every night, and tug on body parts of a member of your party making them cry. Since you are so undemanding, you overtip them and enjoy the treatment. So sorry you won't be my tablemate next week.

tesser21
11-07-2010, 10:52 PM
On our 7 night Eastern cruise, our head server was constantly pushing DH and I to order alcohol. I personally don't drink a lot, Dh is a beer drinker, but not with dinner, which is what we told her . We would order iced tea and coffee and every night she would ask if we were sure we didn't want an alcoholic beverage or if the kids wanted a smoothie drink, It was annoying and awkward. Our assistant server was great, so we ended up giving him a better tip than our head server.

tinkerone
11-08-2010, 12:11 AM
we got off the magic yesterday and i can tell you our serving team was not very good. it was quite shocking actually, our other cruises must have spoiled me.
we were asked EVERY night what we would like to drink, even though the orders never changed. previously on our cruises our drinks were waiting for us after the first night. i shook my head on the last night when he still asked about our drinks. also, i have lime with my diet coke and do not like lemon in it yet every night i had to pick the lemon out of my drink, sometimes he put two in. he did, however, set a plate of cut limes out for me each night after the second dinner. oh, and drinks seldom got to us before the first course. water was poured but even that was normally ten minutes into the sitting. he kept spilling the ice on the table and then he would walk away leaving it for us to clean up. it was not good at all. he just was not very friendly, very moody and quite.
the head server was nice enough but seemed very frazeled. orders were taken about 20 minutes after we sat down (i timed it two nights) and first course never showed up before 45 minutes. we were pretty much the last to leave even though we always got there on time.
neither server could remembe my name and its very simple (judy). i did get called mama judy one night which bothered me a bit. where did THAT come from? i was with 5 other people and they were able to get most of their names right most of the time.
all in all it just was not the best dinning experience i have had. i just figured that they must be training for the dream.
now back to the original thread question....even though i did not get very good service i did leave the recommended tip. i wish i would have been able to at least lessen the assitant servers tips (he really was a bit on the nasty side) but i just could not bring myself to do it. i do think that some of the other people i was with did make a statement with the tips but i just couldn't. i'm such a chicken.....:sad2:

heatherwillmom
11-08-2010, 06:28 AM
This is absolutely true. I have calmed down as a parent since my youngest DD was little (she's 9 going on 40 now), but when my girls were little NO ONE was allowed to touch them.

Sure, I was a paranoid parent (I am mature enough now to admit that), but it was also because THEY didn't like other people touching them that they didn't know. If a server had tried to force oldest DD into a high chair she would have cried as the OP's child did. She probably would have been upset for much of the night, as she is a very sensitive child. And the Momma and Dadda lion in us would have reacted to protect her from that.

If they had tried that with youngest DD? They likely would have lost hair, teeth, sanity, etc. Youngest DD would have made her unhappiness known throughout the ship so our over-protective-ness was as much for the crew as for us. ;-)

:thumbsup2 I think you sound like a great parent for protecting your child

Page4
11-08-2010, 06:48 AM
On our 7 night Eastern cruise, our head server was constantly pushing DH and I to order alcohol. I personally don't drink a lot, Dh is a beer drinker, but not with dinner, which is what we told her . We would order iced tea and coffee and every night she would ask if we were sure we didn't want an alcoholic beverage or if the kids wanted a smoothie drink, It was annoying and awkward. Our assistant server was great, so we ended up giving him a better tip than our head server.

We got the same thing. They must get commision on the drink upsells, or are required to sell a certain amount.

Lee Matthews
11-08-2010, 07:14 AM
We got the same thing. They must get commision on the drink upsells, or are required to sell a certain amount.

15% commission for all sales

grlzmom
11-08-2010, 08:00 AM

You should take your own advice, step back and re read your posts, because they are harsh and ridiculous, totally unreasonable.

On our 7 night Eastern cruise, our head server was constantly pushing DH and I to order alcohol. I personally don't drink a lot, Dh is a beer drinker, but not with dinner, which is what we told her

We don't normally have alcohol with dinner either and I would not be happy if they continued to push it after I already informed them about our drinking preferences.

we got off the magic yesterday and i can tell you our serving team was not very good. it was quite shocking actually, our other cruises must have spoiled me.

all in all it just was not the best dinning experience i have had. i just figured that they must be training for the dream.
now back to the original thread question....even though i did not get very good service i did leave the recommended tip. i wish i would have been able to at least lessen the assitant servers tips (he really was a bit on the nasty side) but i just could not bring myself to do it. i do think that some of the other people i was with did make a statement with the tips but i just couldn't. i'm such a chicken.....:sad2:

We have cruises coming up on the Wonder and the Magic and hoping we don't have disappointing dining experiences. I've heard there are lots of new staff being trained.

For the first time this year (after 20 plus DCL cruises) we left LESS than recommended amount to a stateroom host and reflected it on the comment card (which by the way we had to get a new one as he had ALREADY filled in his part of the comment card). He had been horrible the entire cruise, we had tried to get the situation rectified several times without success. Our surrounding staterooms were also unhappy with him. When we cruised last time he was still there, and I'm amazed because the stuff he did was so bizarre.

If we ever receive poor service again, it will be reflected in the tip and on the comment card. When we receive above and beyond service, we tip over the recommended amount and that service is also reflected on the comment card.

It is inappropriate to touch someones child without asking permission.

Totally unacceptable to serve someone with food allergies something they are allergic to.

Silverware and utensils can be hazards for a baby. We know as our dd sustained a bad leg laceration when she was a toddler from a drinking glass placed in front of her at a restaurant.

DCL servers know this stuff and none of this is expecting servers to "jump through hoops". I'm so sorry to the OP for having this experience and hoping it's an isolated one and next time you cruise DCL it is excellent :)

Cmbar
11-08-2010, 08:01 AM

First off you must not have cruised yet because if you expect Applebees service on your Disney Cruise you are way overpaying!

Second the only one on this thread being unreasonable is you. You are being rude and accusing others of expecting more than is reasonable. You clearly have anger issues with this and I suspect you are a very difficult person to deal with. I would guess that servers would much prefer a guest who politely asks for a service they are being paid to provide versus a crash, rude yet expect nothing guest.

The OP was well within her right to under tip for subpar service if she so chose to do that. You simply should not expect subpar service when you are paying 3k to 10k for a cruise. No way should a person with a seafood allergy have been served Seafood. Not the Disney way and the management needs to be told about stuff like that and a server should not be tipped well when they performed subpar. Simple really.

Lee Matthews
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Just throwing this out there but could some of you please give me examples of the following:

Amazing Service, Completely above and beyond

Adequate service, what i would expect at least

Poor Service

Poor service to the extend of making serious complaints

tinkerone
11-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Just throwing this out there but could some of you please give me examples of the following:

Poor Service

amazing service--the server takes the time to suggest things to the adults to do. takes the time to make paper plains, fold napkins, provide puzzles for the kids. this has been done on my past cruises, its not necessary but they become part of the 'family' when they do.

adequate service--they bring your drink order after the second night without having to ask. food is served with out problems, everyone gets what they order with no errors.

poor service--drinks don't come, food is distributed to the wrong people, long periods of time between courses.

poor service to the extent of complaints--no drinks come, no bread at the table, being agnored, food cold, rude comments.

this should give you a bit of an idea. there are reasons for everything. i'm sure others can provide more for you but this is a basis. the expectation for disney is high. the cost is more than most cruise lines and the service has, in the past, always been very high. if it falls, why would someone pay more to board their ships?? :confused:

KSDisneyDad
11-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Poor Service

Good luck with joining the DCL team!

We're fairly easygoing so we don't have any particular things that have to be done for it to be considered excellent service such as having our drinks ready for us. That said, excellent service is very subjective and we've seen different styles work for us. Our best servers are the ones who really took the time to get to know our family. It seems like this is usually done during dessert and as we relax after dinner (we usually do the late seating). If you spend a little extra time asking about us and letting us get to know you, we find that everything else seems to run smoothly.

Dicecatt
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Poor Service

Amazing service: Remembering our names, bringing kids cups without asking, making paper animals out of menus, one server made a grafitti type name tag for my toddler on his time off and brought it to dinner. Just being friendly goes a long way! Once, one of my girls asked the server if there was creme brulee, and he said no, that is at the other restaurant. She was fine and ordered something else...and he brought her creme brulee also! Not because we demanded it or even asked for it, but just because.

Adequate: performing all duties perfectly well but lacking the extra friendly sparkle.

Poor: Being huried, making it seem like you are a burden to them, taking a long time to deliver anything ordered.

Poor that would lead to complaints: Physically handling my children, not having high chair at table night after night, wrong entrees repeatedly, bringing something that someone is allergic too, especially repeatedly, being absent and having long durations of no food and just waiting, dinner taking an overly long time directly because of the server.

Edited to add...we've experienced the top two, but never the bottom two:)

jilljill
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Poor Service

I just want to add that when you are a new server just let the guests know this and it should make you feel better and more relaxed. This past summer on the Magic it was our asst. server's 2nd cruise, the first couple of nights he was very nervous and trying to be 'over the top' with us and was very rigid and not friendly. The 3rd night we stopped him and just asked him a few questions about himself and when he told us that it was his second cruise we told him to just relax with us and everything would be fine. Once we broke thru that bit of a hurdle with him he was so much better with us and interacted with the adults and kids and his service improved. Since it was a 12 night cruise we told him a couple of times how much better he was getting and his confidence showed by the end of the cruise. He said he really appreciated the feedback we gave him and was glad that he could relax and was excited that we told him his service had improved.

Having the servers talk with us is a big plus in our books - it could be something as simple as asking us how our day was or what we did that day or what's planned for the next day.

countrybear4
11-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Looks like we received "poor service" according to your guide, on the magic last week.

We have a bunch of food allergies so we usually deal with the head server for entrees for half the family. Head Server was great!! Our regular server had absolutely no personality at all, he would take our order and only suggest what he was told to suggest for the evening, when I couldnt decide he just stood there with no response. One night he asked how our day was and when I went to tell him about the excursion we went on he interrupted me and asked what someone what they wanted to order....we made a joke but it was rude. He would disappear for long periods of time. He never actually spoke to us until the last night he tried to have a conversation about the roads in florida.

Our assistant server was pretty good in the beginning but it got worse over time, the last night we were 30 minutes at our table and still no drinks. Only the kids got hats at the Character breakfast, he would take the drinks away to refill them and it would take forever for him to come back. He did however make a puzzle or a trick for the kids each night and he did make jokes and talk to us more. Our servers only had to serve two tables, so many times plates would come from the kitchen and just sit at the station and not be served for 10-15 minutes (not main courses). We were generally the last ones out of the dining room because everything took so long. My daughters french fries were actually cold one night.

Our servers in the past have been good, we did get great service from the head server Roberto!!

Our server at Palo for Brunch, Dinner and TEa was Ciao (chow)....he was absolutely incredible!!!! My husband has a dairy allergy and Ciao had a whole plate of non dairy sandwiches for him to eat and a special desert tray ready without us even asking!!!!

kimpossible
11-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Looks like we received "poor service" according to your guide, on the magic last week.

We have a bunch of food allergies so we usually deal with the head server for entrees for half the family. Head Server was great!! Our regular server had absolutely no personality at all, he would take our order and only suggest what he was told to suggest for the evening, when I couldnt decide he just stood there with no response. One night he asked how our day was and when I went to tell him about the excursion we went on he interrupted me and asked what someone what they wanted to order....we made a joke but it was rude. He would disappear for long periods of time. He never actually spoke to us until the last night he tried to have a conversation about the roads in florida.

Our assistant server was pretty good in the beginning but it got worse over time, the last night we were 30 minutes at our table and still no drinks. Only the kids got hats at the Character breakfast, he would take the drinks away to refill them and it would take forever for him to come back. He did however make a puzzle or a trick for the kids each night and he did make jokes and talk to us more. Our servers only had to serve two tables, so many times plates would come from the kitchen and just sit at the station and not be served for 10-15 minutes (not main courses). We were generally the last ones out of the dining room because everything took so long. My daughters french fries were actually cold one night.

Our servers in the past have been good, we did get great service from the head server Roberto!!

Our server at Palo for Brunch, Dinner and TEa was Ciao (chow)....he was absolutely incredible!!!! My husband has a dairy allergy and Ciao had a whole plate of non dairy sandwiches for him to eat and a special desert tray ready without us even asking!!!!

Yea we never got any napkin foldings throughout our entire cruise 2 weeks ago. Drinks were never brought until we asked for them 4 or 5 times. Meals were completely forgotten. Our head server had to work overtime to make things right. I actually overheard our server complaining to another server during breakfast at topsiders. He was telling him how bad his assistant was messing up with our table the night before...he didn;t know we were right there:rolleyes:

tinkerone
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM

would be interested to know your servers name as we were on the same crusie and it all sounds to formilar....hahaha. there must be lots of new people training cause it seems to have been not good for lots.

Yea we never got any napkin foldings throughout our entire cruise 2 weeks ago. Drinks were never brought until we asked for them 4 or 5 times. Meals were completely forgotten. Our head server had to work overtime to make things right. I actually overheard our server complaining to another server during breakfast at topsiders. He was telling him how bad his assistant was messing up with our table the night before...he didn;t know we were right there:rolleyes:

also wondering who your servers were. it just feels like dejavu.

countrybear4
11-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Our servers were Nestor and Abraham (asst).

I have to say that everyone around us seemed to be getting fabulous service...people were laughing and enjoying themselves. We had second seating.

Lee Matthews
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, it's all very interesting and useful. Im guessing parties are more than likely to tip extra for receiving Amazing service but would you tip more than the recommended if you received what's you folks consider Adequate service?

TDC Nala
11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't want the same drink brought to me every night without asking. I like to mix them up some. So I can't imagine docking someone "points" for not having the drink waiting.

Cruise
11-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, it's all very interesting and useful. Im guessing parties are more than likely to tip extra for receiving Amazing service but would you tip more than the recommended if you received what's you folks consider Adequate service?

If I receive what I would describe as adequate service, I would tip the recommended amount. Even if I received what I thought of as sub-par service, but through no fault of the servers themselves, I would still tip the recommended amount. By that, I mean if it's obvious the server is having trouble with another table due to difficult guests, if one of the servers is out for illness one night so dinner service is slower, etc. I would never lower a tip amount for something that was beyond the server's control even if it meant my experience wasn't as good.

That being said, I will tip extra for the little extras... and it doesn't even have to be every night. Even if there were only one night in a 7 night cruise that the server went out of his/her way to make sure I was pleased with something, that would warrant an increased tip from me. This could include replacing a meal that I was obviously unhappy with, making a good recommendation based on how I may have reacted to a previous meal, or even just appearing to be engaged in the interaction rather than being aloof.

sabrecmc
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
On our Magic Med cruise, we had 2 great servers. Some of the things they did were small, but noted. For example, they both spoke to my daughter and asked her what she wanted. She was 4 at the time and so many servers just ignore the child like they aren't even a person, just some accessory of the parent. I admit she didn't always answer, sometimes too busy coloring, but at least they treated her like a person. I appreciated that. Also, one night when she said she wanted "nothing" for dessert, they brought her a plate with "Nothing" written on it in chocolate with some Mickey sprinkles. She absolutely loved that! They also made suggestions for what was good and when they found out my mom loved scallops, brought her a whole plate of them without her even asking. They also insisted we try this one dish that they'd suggested and we didn't pick. Turned out that was one of my most favorite dishes ever and I never would have tried it if they hadn't brought it (of course, they also brought our actual orders, but those hardly got touched!). They also were very willing to make suggestions when they learned I don't eat seafood, since some of the menu items could be interchanged to do a different combo that didn't include seafood. I really appreciated all their efforts to make our meals enjoyable.

dylan'smom
11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
If I receive what I would describe as adequate service, I would tip the recommended amount. Even if I received what I thought of as sub-par service, but through no fault of the servers themselves, I would still tip the recommended amount. By that, I mean if it's obvious the server is having trouble with another table due to difficult guests, if one of the servers is out for illness one night so dinner service is slower, etc. I would never lower a tip amount for something that was beyond the server's control even if it meant my experience wasn't as good.

That being said, I will tip extra for the little extras... and it doesn't even have to be every night. Even if there were only one night in a 7 night cruise that the server went out of his/her way to make sure I was pleased with something, that would warrant an increased tip from me. This could include replacing a meal that I was obviously unhappy with, making a good recommendation based on how I may have reacted to a previous meal, or even just appearing to be engaged in the interaction rather than being aloof.

I totally agree - docking tips for less than stellar service really should be only if it was total neglect on the part of the server, not things beyond their control.

And I think that can be fairly easily determined by asking a couple questions or just observing what's happening. Or like someone else said, your offering understanding & support may really improve service & avert a disaster!!

Hbelton07
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I have never had a bad experience on DCL, but I've heard horror stories!! I know this family who had a baby with a food allergy, and every night the server forgot about it and had to exchange the food, which made the dinner last forever! As far as tipping, i figure if your service is poor, then a poor tip should be the result. I would never tip highly if I thought the service wasn't up to par. With Disney, I would think most of the time you don't have to worry about bad service, but you never know! Sorry to those who have had a bad experience, but don't let that keep you from cruising again!!

tesser21
11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
15% commission for all sales

Regardless of the commission, I found it extremely rude and annoying. If I wanted a drink, I would have ordered one, I don't like being pushed into drinking! What if I had an issue with alcohol, and why should I be made to feel I need to explain to my server why I don't want a drink?:confused3
Guess you can tell, she really upset me! One thing for you to remember NOT to do!! Good Luck with your new position, hope it goes well for you:thumbsup2

Lee Matthews
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Also, one night when she said she wanted "nothing" for dessert, they brought her a plate with "Nothing" written on it in chocolate with some Mickey sprinkles. She absolutely loved that! .

I LOVE that. I may borrow and use that myself :thumbsup2

HappyontheLake
11-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I LOVE that. I may borrow and use that myself :thumbsup2

One thing my girls loved was when they ordered Shirley Temples they always asked for extra cherries -- our assistant server starting the 2nd night would bring a small bowl full of cherries for each girl. They loved it! He also took note that I asked for lots of lemons for my water and would bring me a plate of artfully arranged lemon slices and replaced them throughout the meal (I use several lemon slices for each glass of water)

I also appreciate never having my water glass being left empty -- same for my husband and his ice tea glass.

denas
11-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Lee-

I think that the fact that you are asking and thinking about it already will set you up for success.

I have cruised RCCL, Princess, Carnival, NCL (prior to their free-style cruisig) and once with Disney. Regardless of the ship, I found that the dining staff remembered drinks, offered bread right away, and in general didn't make dinner painful. I always tipped the recommended amount.

The thing that made Disney special was that they acknowledged it can be hard on parents with children to deal with meals! having the high chair ready is essential - it is a pain to stand around with kids. The little things to entertain little ones are great. After the first night on our last cruise - the waiter brought my son (four at the time) a Mickey bar every night - saying to him he did a great job eating his dinner. My son thought this was awesome since mom and dad didn't ask and my son ate well to show off to the waiter. He is 8 now, still remembers this, and has shared with his sister who is now 4 that on our next cruise the waiters will bring her Mickey bars. Honestly, the waiter is the only thing he clearly remembers from hour last cruise!!

I also like to get to know the wait staff a little - where they are from, etc, but this can be personal so I would wait for the diners to take the lead, but definately engage with them. I have also really liked it when they have asked our port plans the night before and then remembered and asked us about if we enjoyed it or made recommendations.

On our Disney cruise I tipped more than the recommended amount because the waiter was so helpful with my kids and made dinner enjoyable for me. :thumbsup2 My kids are used to restaurants since we eat out a couple of times a week, but it was really nice to feel like I could relax and enjoy the meal because the waiters did the little extras! I also tipped WAY more than the recommended amount to the head waiter. I have sometimes not given that position much because I have never seen the guy except tip night! On Disney, the head waiter earned every bit of his cruise money. He completely moved the location of our table to accomodate a stroller for our daughter. When we showed up on the second night, he stopped us at the door, addressed us by name stating that he had just realized the table set-up wouldn't work again, and had a bunch of waiters immediately move the table. We have consistently used the Disney wait staff as our example to others about why we pay the premium to cruise Disney with kids.

tinkerone
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM

nope, i wouldn't but neither would i take away from your tip.
so can you tell us what your wage, before tips, would be. sounds like you can put an end to our question about what servers get paid.
thanks

Cruise
11-08-2010, 05:19 PM
nope, i wouldn't but neither would i take away from your tip.
so can you tell us what your wage, before tips, would be. sounds like you can put an end to our question about what servers get paid.
thanks

I may be wrong, but I believe DCL discourages CMs from disclosing this information. And as it's also been confirmed that DCL monitors these boards, I know none of us would want Lee to get into trouble if that's the case.

If I am mistaken, then....oops :)

Lee Matthews
11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't be allowed to say sadly. Also, i honestly don't know yet.

Melcatfish
11-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Lee, our servers on our recent cruise got extra tips from us because they were friendly, took time to talk to us about our day, chatted about their own lives when asked and recognised that with two young children (our girls were 5 and 2 at the time) dinner can be less than smooth sailing. Some things they did to help us out were:

Remember that both my daughters love pineapple juice and have a kids cup of juice for each waiting on the table.

Talk to the girls and were patient when my oldest was trying to be grown up and order her own meal even though she took longer to do so than we did.

Offer to cut up food for my children so we could also get on with eating our dinner (most nights we cut the childrens food ourselves as it arrived before ours but on one occasion we had ours at the same time and the server and assistant server cut up the childrens food)

By the end of the cruise when we were all very comfortable with our servers our main server offered to take the children for a little walk round the dining room while my husband and I ate our entrees - the children were restless and we weren't getting much chance to eat - he asked me first if it was ok and then strolled round the dining room holding on to the childrens hands showing them the serving station etc... Obviously this was when all his tables were ok and not needing his attention but it was most welcome!

Say hello when you see your guests around the ship (and ashore if you happen to see them) We loved it when our server and asst server would come over and say hi if they were working in a restaurant at breakfast or lunch or if they saw us outside of dinner times.

Go the extra mile in general. As mentioned my daughters loved pineapple juice. It is not available in Topsiders but our asst server was working in there and saw us, said hi and then disappeared, reappearing a couple of minutes later with pineapple juice - we didn't ask him but he knew the kids would love it and they did!

Hope some of these examples help a little.
Mel
x

KingRichard
11-09-2010, 10:43 AM
not only don't you tip, you make a point to tell disney you won't be back....ever again.

for what your paying the service should be perfect.

Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner!

If you are expected to tip according to what they recommend, then the service should be what we expect from a top company.

Personally if they were not listening to my request after the first couple times I tend to get rather loud and make sure they hear me.

If they don't care about us, why should we care about them?

We don't expect much, but if we make a reasonable request it should be taken care of.

Disneyholic
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I love Simone!!!!

Me, too.:thumbsup2

dursin
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner!

If you are expected to tip according to what they recommend, then the service should be what we expect from a top company.

Personally if they were not listening to my request after the first couple times I tend to get rather loud and make sure they hear me.

If they don't care about us, why should we care about them?

We don't expect much, but if we make a reasonable request it should be taken care of.
My belief is that the recommended amount is what I tip based on the service I expect...and I expect more from the servers on a Disney cruise ship than I do from the servers at my local pancake house.

Disneyholic
11-09-2010, 12:10 PM
On our 1st DCL cruise we had late dinner seating and the heat from the Muster drill & not having eaten since lunch I had one of my migraines. We went to dinner and the seas were rough from going over the current leaving port. Between the migraine & the rough sea I was very nauseous. I had my glasses off for most of the meal because they hurt(and I can't see much of anything without them). I only got thru half the meal before I had to head back to the room to lay down. I put on the sea sick bands which took care of the nausea, but I had to sleep to get rid of the headache.

The next day DH & I went to a napkin folding class. During the class the CM teaching the class went around to check out how we were doing with our folding. She got to our table and checked out our folding & as she was walking away she turned around and said "Miss Beverly, how are you feeling today?" I said "Fine" & she said "Happy to hear that" As she walked away I asked my DH if that was our server from the night before and he confirmed that it was. With my glasses off during the meal I could just barely make out a female face the night before. I was amazed that she had not only remembered me, but actually remembered my name.

That night she was serving us, but our assistant server was different. She told us that our assistant was out sick. The next day he was at the icecream bar on Deck 9 and when I saw his nametag & realized who he was I asked how he was feeling. He was surprised that I took the time to ask him.

Be nice to your servers & assistants & you will be surprised at how they will respond. Be nasty and don't expect better in return.

lexlaw69
11-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd be more angry that I was at the table next to you while you monopolized the server and made them jump thru your ***** hoops. If you were treated rudely that is a different thing alltogether but you were just being a snob.

I was the person who was more forgiving. Last, I didn't generalize - I said 50% of the commentators here are nuts for the demands that you put on a service cruise and I stick by that (actually the nut ratio appears to be much less than 50% - I think most human beings would not treat a service person like that).

So consider yourself to be (in my opinion) in the snobby 1%. The snobby 1% monopolize the servers time ruining it for others, the snobby 1% hold back on tips for minor issues (its ok i'm sure it wasn't because you overspent in some port), the snobby 1% go all "mama bear" when the server does something that they are trained to do and has worked for the other 99%.

Our server put our daughter in her chair every night, cut her pizza for her and was amazing (and I moved the silverware because it was no big deal and i'm responsible for my daughters safety not DCL). At the begining of the cruise our daughter gave us a look like "who's this guy" putting me in a chair - had she freaked out I wouldn't have punished the server.
If the script on the cruise is to put the kid in a high chair and the server does that and your kid freaks out (and go all "mama bear" as some said) then I don't think it is the server's fault. Maybe instead you should go to DCL and get the rules changed - but I certainly wouldn't take away from a person's income for that.

Treat your fellow posters with respect. We all have our own opinions and all opinions are welcome as long as they are posted in a respectful manner. It is also helpful to read an entire thread before posting. What might have been a heated discussion on the first couple of pages might have been resolved later on and just posting to the original post just frustrates the other posters. Remember that what is right for one poster and their situation might not be right for others.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1010690

4. NO FIGHTING/SARCASM
While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction
http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

kimpossible
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm really hoping the moderators check in soon and close this thread. The OP has definitely gotten her response and now people are just being nasty.

KingRichard
11-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd be more angry that I was at the table next to you while you monopolized the server and made them jump thru your ***** hoops. If you were treated rudely that is a different thing alltogether but you were just being a snob.

I was the person who was more forgiving. Last, I didn't generalize - I said 50% of the commentators here are nuts for the demands that you put on a service cruise and I stick by that (actually the nut ratio appears to be much less than 50% - I think most human beings would not treat a service person like that).

So consider yourself to be (in my opinion) in the snobby 1%. The snobby 1% monopolize the servers time ruining it for others, the snobby 1% hold back on tips for minor issues (its ok i'm sure it wasn't because you overspent in some port), the snobby 1% go all "mama bear" when the server does something that they are trained to do and has worked for the other 99%.

Our server put our daughter in her chair every night, cut her pizza for her and was amazing (and I moved the silverware because it was no big deal and i'm responsible for my daughters safety not DCL). At the begining of the cruise our daughter gave us a look like "who's this guy" putting me in a chair - had she freaked out I wouldn't have punished the server.
If the script on the cruise is to put the kid in a high chair and the server does that and your kid freaks out (and go all "mama bear" as some said) then I don't think it is the server's fault. Maybe instead you should go to DCL and get the rules changed - but I certainly wouldn't take away from a person's income for that.

These days you don't ever touch someone's child EVER!

I don't care where you come from or who you are.

Now if they ask in advance would you like some assistance with the child then that is different as you can keep a eye on them and your child to see how they react.

I don't think anyone wants a upset child ruining their night or anyone's near you.

lexlaw69
11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
and then you would be complaining about a standard Disney (and most cruise lines) practice of putting the kid in the chair to assist the parents (probably resulting in the loss of a tip). Again, not the servers choice - it is something they have been trained to do blessed upon by Mickey himself.

GhostlyHitchhiker
11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
and then you would be complaining about a standard Disney (and most cruise lines) practice of putting the kid in the chair to assist the parents (probably resulting in the loss of a tip). Again, not the servers choice - it is something they have been trained to do blessed upon by Mickey himself.

I wouldn't (personally) fault or deduct tips from a server who tried to put my child in a high chair once. If I specifically say not to (for whatever reason quite frankly. *I* am the parent and know my child best.) and they proceed to do it again to the point where the kid is crying? Then yeah, I'm going to be an unhappy customer.

I don't make "overly demanding requests" (and I think you are out of line for saying some of the reasonable requests here are so overreaching) and we have no food allergies in our family, but we DO have vegetarians. If they had been served a prime rib for dinner there would have been issues. Or worse, given them a dish that had meat you wouldn't realize was there at first (soups, etc are often like this).

I've worked in the service industry and done the servers job. I understand what it's like and I have seen rude people onboard the ship and in the parks treat cast members like trash. I'm usually the one who goes up to them afterward and has kind words or says something to the guy being a jerk. I don't think anyone in this thread are those people.

Some issues are a little iffy, like considering drink orders on the table without asking to be "average" service. I'm one of those that usually orders something different every night. I tend toward iced tea and then either wine/beer depending on what I chose to eat so I can go either way on that one.

I also don't prefer the servers cutting up my children's food. Either I will do it for them or they can do it themselves. Our girls were both using knives well (other than meat which tends to be tougher) by 3 or 4 so it wasn't too big of an issue. Our server insisted so that the adults could enjoy their meal, which was very sweet, but I know they are busy and I'd rather do it myself and not have them have to do it.

Like many others have said, I don't dock tips for average service or even understandable mistakes. I dock tips for egregious or constant mistakes and/or neglect/indifference when issues try to be fixed. I also overtip when someone shows they just CARE.

GhostlyHitchhiker
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
:thumbsup2 I think you sound like a great parent for protecting your child

Oh, and thanks. :lovestruc

Oldest DD is now 12 and still a sensitive child sometimes (getting better though, she's finally finding her confidence). The Momma bear still comes out even though she's in middle school and taller than me!

Dicecatt
11-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm really hoping the moderators check in soon and close this thread. The OP has definitely gotten her response and now people are just being nasty.

It isn't "People", it is one person, and I do sincerely hope the moderators are taking notice. It isn't the thread that is the problem.

tinkerone
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
It isn't "People", it is one person, and I do sincerely hope the moderators are taking notice. It isn't the thread that is the problem.

agreed, and i think the problem is a bit bitter. :lmao::rotfl2:
something happened somewhere......

SoCaOC-Mom
11-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Are you choosing to sit in a high chair? Generally the highchair is in place before the guests are seated, so I don't think that space is an option for an adult. ;) As the OP you quoted stated, it's wouldn't be too challenging to simply remove all the silverware or breakables that are placed in front of an infant/toddler seat.

kimpossible
11-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Agreed.

lexlaw69
11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Kim - I think it is an interesting debate as to what is reasonable and what isn't. It is "minutia" to hear about what people tipped for and what they didn't - but isn't that the original question? Whether they should lower the tip or not? I've been amazed (jaw agape) reading what people took away from people's income for. Did you see all the single mom's on the boat? You think its ok to take away their money because of some small violation??? Really?

I'm more offended about customers not tipping over minor service violations. The smallness of what i've seen here is amazing - to not tip someone who wholly depends on the tip for nearly the entirity of their income shocks the conscious. Again, they're not tipping because of a perceived service shortage not rudeness. Most of the situations listed here have been iffy - "my kid cried" "there was silverware in front of my plate" "they didn't remember me" "shellfish gives me diareahha :) [haha]"

Did the food get to the table hot? Was your waiter/waitress personable? Was your order accurate? Was the issue within the servers responsibility? If no, did you give a chance to remedy the situation? I think its amazing service if someone rememebers your preferences and should be tipped accordingly. But if they are merely friendly, and entertain you but forget that you don't like peas maybe you are being a little harsh.

So I guess I can get banned for giving an opinion on a cheapskate but i'm ok with it.

lexlaw69
11-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah, i'm bitter because I don't think its right to lower someone's income over petty issues.

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
So I guess I can get banned for giving an opinion on a cheapskate but i'm ok with it.

The backlash isn't coming from just giving an opinion, it's the way you are giving it.

tinkerone
11-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Kim - I think it is an interesting debate as to what is reasonable and what isn't. It is "minutia" to hear about what people tipped for and what they didn't - but isn't that the original question? Whether they should lower the tip or not? I've been amazed (jaw agape) reading what people took away from people's income for. Did you see all the single mom's on the boat? You think its ok to take away their money because of some small violation??? Really?

I'm more offended about customers not tipping over minor service violations. The smallness of what i've seen here is amazing - to not tip someone who wholly depends on the tip for nearly the entirity of their income shocks the conscious. Again, they're not tipping because of a perceived service shortage not rudeness. Most of the situations listed here have been iffy - "my kid cried" "there was silverware in front of my plate" "they didn't remember me" "shellfish gives me diareahha :) [haha]"

Did the food get to the table hot? Was your waiter/waitress personable? Was your order accurate? Was the issue within the servers responsibility? If no, did you give a chance to remedy the situation? I think its amazing service if someone rememebers your preferences and should be tipped accordingly. But if they are merely friendly, and entertain you but forget that you don't like peas maybe you are being a little harsh.

its not the giving of your opinion, everyone has them and is entitled to it, its how you give it. its mean at best. try and be softer, thats all.

KSDisneyDad
11-09-2010, 06:06 PM

agreed, and i think the problem is a bit bitter. :lmao::rotfl2:
something happened somewhere......

I'm not sure it's just one person with personal attacks. There are some valid points that are being overshadowed by the overall tone of the posts. I've seen personal attacks on both side of this issue so I don't think anyone can claim the moral high ground. It should be the topic being discussed, not a discussion of the people making the points. In my experience, this is what gets these types of threads closed.

GhostlyHitchhiker
11-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Again, they're not tipping because of a perceived service shortage not rudeness. Most of the situations listed here have been iffy - "my kid cried" "there was silverware in front of my plate" "they didn't remember me" "shellfish gives me diareahha :) [haha]"

I think you're being overly harsh to people on this thread for relating their stories. Certainly "not being remembered" isn't going to lose people tips and I don't think I ever saw anyone say that. If they did, there were more issues than just that one with the server in question.

That said, some of the issues are more severe than you seem to understand or care about. "Shellfish aggravates Chrohn's" is a more serious issue. While I don't understand everything about that disorder, I do believe that damage can be done to the entire digestive tract if they eat the foods that agitate their condition (think ulcers/bleeding/etc), not just mild diarrea. The OP also said that her husband is allergic to shellfish. That is a MUCH more severe issue. Have you ever had to deal with a serious food allergy? That can be a minor discomfort to having to be hopsitalized depending on the severity of the allergy. This was not a minor quibble.

Also not a minor quibble is hurting someone's child. The OP's child didn't just whine or cry because the server looked at it wrong (sorry don't recall if it was a boy or girl), but the server was yanking on the child's legs to the point of hurting it. THAT is a much larger issue and one the OP is justified in being upset by imo.

You are allowed to have your own opinions and you are even allowed to speak them, but don't expect people to appreciate your posts when you spend your time attacking people unjustified.

Sorry folks. As I said before, I'm the one who will stand up to the jerks for the cast members when I see it. I'll stand up for people around here too. :rolleyes1

Mindyjoy
11-09-2010, 06:12 PM
its not the giving of your opinion, everyone has them and is entitled to it, its how you give it. its mean at best. try and be softer, thats all.

JINX!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

kimpossible
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM

I agree. Name calling and personal insults about people's infirmities are not helpful when trying to get your point across.

SoCaOC-Mom
11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, i'm bitter because I don't think its right to lower someone's income over petty issues.

I think the validity or pettiness of an issue is subjective, while tips are customary they are certainly not 'guaranteed'. The whole purpose of tipping is according to your language to help ensure that there isn't any 'petty issues' or serious ones.

This isn't about people that are not willing to tip or wanting to reduce their because are either a) cheap or b) feel they can't afford it. This is about how much, if at all guests should tip for substandard service.

While you like to think of yourself as easy going and an ideal customer, I am sure that even you have your limits on how many errors or blunders you would be willing to tolerate.

So what would it take for you to reduce a tip or not to tip at all?

SoCaOC-Mom
11-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that Disney doesn't train their staff to wait for expressed parental consent before coming into physical contact with someone's child?

Lee Matthews
11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok, maybe we should leave this debate. I somehow feel slightly responsible and that i may have provoked it by asking what people class as poor service.

I certainly don't want to start an argument

grlzmom
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM

Four of my children have been through the high chair "stage" on DCL.

Not once, EVER in over twenty DCL cruises has a server attempted to physically assist or put my child in a high chair. Where are you getting that they are "trained" and "blessed" to do this?

Its ridiculous to me that you think repeatedly serving someone with a food allergy something they are allergic to is a "minor service violation" and doesn't warrant addressing by way of tip and/or negative comment.

Yes, I believe that minor things could/should be overlooked and addressed and hopefully remedied I DO NOT at all agree that food allergies or physically handling someone's child without permission fall into this category.

Your comments are harsh and you should step back and read some of the things you have posted.

SoCaOC-Mom
11-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think your questions evoked an argument, I hope they help you in providing stellar service and great tips :)

Ok, maybe we should leave this debate. I somehow feel slightly responsible and that i may have provoked it by asking what people class as poor service.

I certainly don't want to start an argument

lexlaw69
11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
A couple of random things:

1) I said that I don't think that you should lower the tip over petty items - however it might be a good suggestion on a comment card or to the head waiter if you thought something was missed. If there was a major issue - major being defined as rude behavior then I would lower the tip.

You have no idea if the server was in the back screwing around or acting on your behalf if your meal is delayed. I'm going to assume the best in people (even those with Crohn's disease) and tip. I will look at the totality of the circumstances and how they handle the issue - but I would rather err on the side of being human and not be as harsh as i've seen here.

2) I have not see one server ask "permission" to put toddlers in high chairs or put napkins around them on the Disney or Royal Caribbean cruises i've been on. They just became part of the team and helped out which I appreciated. If you were at the table next to me and freaked out because they were trying to help you out - I would have a comment for you and would probably go to management to make sure your unbalanced opinion doesn't cost some poor guy or gal (literally) their job [which I have done by the way].

3) I do believe a great many people don't tip at all or reduce their tips to make things more affordable - this is simply wrong. They find some petty excuse and go with it. Its exactly why I think the nags on this board are petty.

4) You're right - tipping is not mandatory. However, it is much different than lowering the tip at your neighborhood restaurant (here come the freakouts again). You know when you go on a cruise that this is part of the cost.

5) I suppose the people arguing here for the "right' to lower the tip for petty things are probably the same people that go to 3rd world countries and bargain so hard with poor people for that extra dollar. That extra dollar that means so much to a person in that situation. A person. I'm not one of those people - maybe you are and I hope you can sleep at night.

pxlbarrel
11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Interesting....

Not trying to excuse the OP's server problems but from reading the OP's posts and subsequent posts, it really does seem like there was a communication problem : the server's English wasn't really that good. The orange slices on the mac and cheese just seems to strengthen that argument. It may well be that he hadn't a clue what you were saying! Now, that doesn't help you or your family and you'd have expected somebody that DCL hires and has to deal with the public would have better English skills but who knows. Haven't we all been in situations where you wondered how the heck somebody got hired? I'd like to think that THAT was the reason you had problems and not that he was deliberately being obstinate or derelict in his duties.

Anyway, on my one and only cruise (so far), our server discovered that our family liked spicy foods. Every dinner he had a container of sambal on our table. We couldn't figure out where that came from (we never saw it elsewhere on the ship) so we often wondered if this was his secret stash. He discovered my mom's weird ordering practices ("I'll have the cheese/olive/trout/smoked salmon salad without the chese olive or smoked salmon") and had fun with her (no, she wasn't insulted but found it quite amusing when he said, "Maam, there will be no salad left!" in a humours exasperated way.) The assistant server picked up on this at breakfast one day when my mom was having a hard time deciding what to eat. He said to me something like, "She'll have the cheese omelette without the cheese." Hehehe...we had fun and it was cool that they were having fun with us (as opposed to AT us....although, I suppose that's also possible.)

For all the different servers we had at breakfast and lunch, I don't think we had a bad one. One server...man, I was ready to set him up with my friend's daughter. LOL He was so nice. And another server, we had a really nice conversation with her. It was only her second week, she was a bit homesick....she was very nice. We saw her serving at Castway Cay and we smiled and waved at her and she was still so very nice. To Lee... if you can make us believe you're family and make it very hard for us to leave you at the end of the cruise, you will have done above and beyond.

And here's an important question: Is Simone going to the Dream??? I was hoping to see him again in the Med Cruise next June. He was our head server on the Magic last December. He was so nice and well, not hard on the eyes either. :laughing: (yes, very shallow of me to say that but... he made a really good looking pirate!!!) :love: :rotfl2:

grlzmom
11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
A couple of random things:

but I would rather err on the side of being human and not be as harsh as i've seen here.

[/B].

Do you get at all that you are the one being "harsh"? You are calling people names on a trip planning discussion board (i.e. NAG, FREAKOUT) yet you claim to err on the side of being human?

You didn't bother to respond to my question of where are you getting information that the servers are "blessed" and told to physically put peoples children in high chairs?

You probably have no idea what is going on at the tables around you and to say that you would go to management and complain about another guest if they are unhappy over something is absurd.

With DCL the majority of the people I have personally met tip above and beyond the recommended amount so I'm not sure what your comparison is but I bet you haven't had near the DCL experience I have.

Your posts are rude and maybe if they were more polite and factual people might actually be able to see your opinion through all the harsh/ignorant comments you make.

grlzmom
11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Interesting....
And here's an important question: Is Simone going to the Dream??? I was hoping to see him again in the Med Cruise next June. He was our head server on the Magic last December. He was so nice and well, not hard on the eyes either. :laughing: (yes, very shallow of me to say that but... he made a really good looking pirate!!!) :love: :rotfl2:

Yes, he will be on the Dream, and I agree, so nice not hard on the eyes lol.

We think he's wonderful.

pxlbarrel
11-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, he will be on the Dream, and I agree, so nice not hard on the eyes lol.

We think he's wonderful.

My favourite pirate.... Simone!!

http://www.chrismak.com/misc/disboards/IMG_7417-lowres.jpg

lexlaw69
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Hopefully my last comment (yay!). Arguably, the employee's on the ship are being taken advantage of by not being paid a living wage. They depend upon tips to compensate them for their efforts. They make huge sacrifices that take them away from their families and homelands. There is always a certain sadness that you see in the mom's and dad's who are working on the ship that are away from home. I can imagine they want nothing more than to be with their families and take home their many months of saved income so they can build their lives (many shipworkers who I have spoken to use their savings to buy a home or small business or simply use it to survive and feed their kids).

I will always err on the side of being human. I will put my requests in context of the bigger picture and whether honest attempts were made by the staff or some honest self analysis to see if my request is perhaps over-reaching. A big heart and understanding go a long, long way. I'm not sure after working 10 - 14 hour days (which they do and more breakfast to past dinner)that I would remember your food allergy or other pecadillo's. It might make it better for all involved if you just repeated your request.

"I like to put my kid in the high chair myself - thanks I appreciate your help"

vs.

"I'm a nutjob that can't be bothered to remove the silverware in front of my kid can you please move it or i'll have you thrown out in the next port"

vs.

"I'm allergic to shellfish - are there any on the menu tonight - can you make sure I don't get any please?"

vs.

"Everyone will hate me in my little cabin because of my intestinal issues, you see I have Crohn's disease and it make's me gassy so if you give me shellfish again i'm taking the food out of your children's mouth's by not tipping you (and you better remember for every meal I have! ha ha ha ha ha"

TKH
11-09-2010, 08:07 PM
FYI: noted food allergy + wrong food delivered with shrimp discreetly mixed in (accidental) CAN lead to an anaphylactic reaction. That's not a tummy ache, that is not breathing!

dursin
11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
4) You're right - tipping is not mandatory. However, it is much different than lowering the tip at your neighborhood restaurant (here come the freakouts again). You know when you go on a cruise that this is part of the cost.
It is not much different than lowering a tip at your local restaurant...in fact, it's really not different at all. When you go to your local restaurant you also know that a tip of approximately 15% is part of the cost if you get the expected service, 20% if service is better than expected. A cruise is no different. The gratuity is something you give in recognition of services provided to you.

Just remember...it's a gratuity...it's not a salary subsidy or charitable contribution.

Cmbar
11-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Yet you think it is perfectly fine to insult people who you don't know one iota and assume they are snobby. Or to insult me because I have a disease that obviously you know nothing about. (Oh how I wish Crohn's simply caused gas or diaharea! May you never know how horrid this disease is)

I am sorry you are so angry. It sounds as if you are unhappy with your life and wish to inflict that unhappiness on those of us on this thread. You have gotten what you wanted which was for us to pay attention to you. I think we are all done now! Moderators please close this thread. Most of us have answered this question for the OP!

GhostlyHitchhiker
11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
"I like to put my kid in the high chair myself - thanks I appreciate your help"

vs.

"I'm a nutjob that can't be bothered to remove the silverware in front of my kid can you please move it or i'll have you thrown out in the next port"

vs.

"I'm allergic to shellfish - are there any on the menu tonight - can you make sure I don't get any please?"

vs.

"Everyone will hate me in my little cabin because of my intestinal issues, you see I have Crohn's disease and it make's me gassy so if you give me shellfish again i'm taking the food out of your children's mouth's by not tipping you (and you better remember for every meal I have! ha ha ha ha ha"

Wow, either you are the OP's server (and bitter) or you must have some specific gripe against her or something. Just wow...

Sorry TKH. I don't think you've said anything overly harsh about the server and you were just relating your experience and asking a question. You started out being very nice and only went into more detail when other posters asked. I also understand emotions involved with having poor service. Only once in WDW did I have poor service(inattentive, rude, etc) and I still get heated when I ponder going to that restaurant again (California Grill even). That was over 11 years ago! ;-)

edwardsail
11-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I am pretty sure that lot of us are with lexlaw69 for lot of reasons and they do not post the msg at all. I feel nothing is perfect just go flow like a river. Just like you have to remember to tip at least 15 percent at any restaurant in USA but if you are happy with their service then give them a tip at more than 15 percent. If you are not happy with your server, just report to the manager. Is that simple? Anyway, just move on and enjoy life! :banana:

tinkerone
11-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Hopefully my last comment (yay!). "

i'm hopin!!

lee, your question was very valid, unfortunately the tipping threads always get out of hand. we all have our own thoughts and opionions and no one has a right to say whos wrong or whos right. some should just remember that there all 'IMO'. everyone has the right to speak.
have fun in your new role. i had a friend who worked on the magic and loved it, had a blast. you have a blast to!!

TKH
11-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Wow, either you are the OP's server (and bitter) or you must have some specific gripe against her or something. Just wow...

Sorry TKH. I don't think you've said anything overly harsh about the server and you were just relating your experience and asking a question. You started out being very nice and only went into more detail when other posters asked. I also understand emotions involved with having poor service. Only once in WDW did I have poor service(inattentive, rude, etc) and I still get heated when I ponder going to that restaurant again (California Grill even). That was over 11 years ago! ;-)

I was certainly not hoping to stir anything up, that's why I didn't list out what our troubles were and whether or not we actually did adjust the tip. About the questionable poster, that person is relating things that don't pertain to my situation, I'm not sure where the info is coming from. I will not be rude to anyone, and was not ever rude to the servers. :) I kindly asked for what we needed/didn't need, within reason. I can remove the silverware, the point was that I couldn't do it while the baby's legs were being tugged. I even said, "If you can please let go of his legs, I can move the plate and silverware" which was when he began telling me about the service and comment card. His English was okay at times, not so much at other times. I don't know his situation and that is why I will not classify him as "bad". The service we experienced while dining, we felt, was not on par with what we knew from previous cruises or from anywhere else aboard on the current trip. We're not mad or freaking out or yelling, I wouldn't want my kids to learn that. We're not judgemental or snobs. So, just time to move on now. I appreciate eveyone's help! Thanks! :goodvibes

jilljill
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I was certainly not hoping to stir anything up, that's why I didn't list out what our troubles were and whether or not we actually did adjust the tip. About the questionable poster, that person is relating things that don't pertain to my situation, I'm not sure where the info is coming from. I will not be rude to anyone, and was not ever rude to the servers. :) I kindly asked for what we needed/didn't need, within reason. I can remove the silverware, the point was that I couldn't do it while the baby's legs were being tugged. I even said, "If you can please let go of his legs, I can move the plate and silverware" which was when he began telling me about the service and comment card. His English was okay at times, not so much at other times. I don't know his situation and that is why I will not classify him as "bad". The service we experienced while dining, we felt, was not on par with what we knew from previous cruises or from anywhere else aboard on the current trip. We're not mad or freaking out or yelling, I wouldn't want my kids to learn that. We're not judgemental or snobs. So, just time to move on now. I appreciate eveyone's help! Thanks! :goodvibes

OP - since you are happy with some of the responses on this thread I'm going to close it before it gets out of hand once again.