PDA

View Full Version : Feb 5 Sailing Question

Muskegon78
11-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Two questions....

With final payment due for our cruise on Nov 22, I'm assuming that we should know what shore excursions we want to book by that time so we can book them right away. Is that the case or are excuasions always available?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a family of 3 with a 4 year old girl on a Western Carribean cruise? We were thinking of something with turtles in Grand Cayman but other than than we weren't sure

FabFivePA
11-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi,
We're taking the western a couple of weeks before you. We also have a 4 yr old. It was very disappointing because at first we wanted to book all excursions through DCL, just seemed like the safer way to do it.
But finding excursion choices for under 5 yr olds through DCL was near impossible. So we're doing most on our own.

We have settled on the trolley on our own in Key West, going to the butterfly conservatory, southernmost point and possibly the aquarium or pirate museum.

We are doing a stingray city tour on our own in Grand Cayman, on a boat that does not take more than 20 people, so she won't be overwhelmed and hopefully will get a little more personal attention. We're also completely fine if the kids just want to observe from the boat as well. we'll see how it goes. We're using Dexters fantasea tours, which has wonderful reviews on trip advisor. However I do believe nativeway offers a stingray city with the turtle farm as well if you want to do the turtles.

In cozumel if you book the dolphin encounter (not swim) on your own at Chankanaab they will take under 5 year olds. I think we're going to mostly spend the day on the ship here, and do the semi-sub through DCL. Nachi Cocom seems to be very popular and worth looking into if you want a beach day.

Castaway we're going to rent some bikes since they have some with training wheels from what I've read... and otherwise play the day by ear.

We're 1st time cruisers, so I can't give you prior reviews on any of this. LOL But it's the plan we've come up with. These boards, trip advisor and cruise critic port boards have been very helpful!

Hope this helps!

Muskegon78
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks, that is very helpful. Did the non DCL excursions seem to be booking fast or did you have any trouble with things being booked already?

Muskegon78
11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Also, did you do all the booking on the internet or by phone? Does it seem to be safe to pay in adavnce or do you not pay until you are there?

FabFivePA
11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
With Key West we're just going to do it all that day, so no booking in advance.

I had no problem booking our Stingray tour a few weeks back... I emailed him through his website and he emailed a confirmation within a day... we pay when we get there.

The semi-sub I plan on booking through DCL on the date we can, which is the 8th of this month.

Bikes in castaway we'll probably just do that day and not book ahead.

The site for the dolphins in Cozumel there were still openings last week for our date, but I dropped that idea ... so if you are thinking of dolphins there I would google the Dolphin Discovery Cozumel and they have what's available right on their site.

if you are thinking of Nachi Cocom I would look into it asap because they only take 100 people a day, which could easily be filled up by one group.
But there are other beach day options too on Cozumel if they are full.

sdjen
11-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Hello! Just wanted to invite you to join our cruise meets. There are several families with girls about your daughter's age on our cruise. Come join us! I will be sailing with my daughter who turns 5 on Feb. 3rd.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2295841&page=9

I am also planning what the PP said about Key West. If you do the trolley on your own, you can get on and off at a bunch of different places. And, kids are free!!

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/rates-and-reservations.asp

Happy planning! I am like you and hoping that there are plenty of choices left when we can book on the 22nd. We may even end up on the same excursions. ;)

Muskegon78
11-08-2010, 06:42 AM
With Key West we're just going to do it all that day, so no booking in advance.

I had no problem booking our Stingray tour a few weeks back... I emailed him through his website and he emailed a confirmation within a day... we pay when we get there.

The semi-sub I plan on booking through DCL on the date we can, which is the 8th of this month.

Bikes in castaway we'll probably just do that day and not book ahead.

The site for the dolphins in Cozumel there were still openings last week for our date, but I dropped that idea ... so if you are thinking of dolphins there I would google the Dolphin Discovery Cozumel and they have what's available right on their site.

if you are thinking of Nachi Cocom I would look into it asap because they only take 100 people a day, which could easily be filled up by one group.
But there are other beach day options too on Cozumel if they are full.
What is Nachi Cocom? Also, I looked into the trolley for Key West and that looks perfect. I see if you book it on DCL's site that you cannot exit/re-enter the trolley during the 60 minute tour, did you buy tickets directly from the trolley site and are you able to ride all day and re-board whenever you want?